Let's Read: Warhammer 40,000 Codexes and Star Wars RPG Sourcebooks (Dark Eldar Reviewer)

You are ignoring content by this member.
I am so incredibly frelling gay. Girls are amazing.

...If we ever get to meet in person, would you like to give me some close combat instruction? I feel like it would be... very helpful.
(Kozba: I guess dat would be right proppa, though da best way ta learn is to have a scrap. I dunno what you mean by the first line, though.)

She's saying she likes you in a romantic and potentially carnal sense.

(Kozba: Iz dis gonna be one of dem innuendo romantic scraps with tiltin' da chin of yer mate up with yer axe, or can dis be a regular scrap?)

I believe she means a regular scrap.

(Kozba: Sounds bleedin' fantastic! Oh, an', uh, pretty nice lookin' at me, innit?)

(Felicity Vandire: Well, anyway, Star Wars!)

Oh, what's the first subject we're to cover?

(Felicity Vandire: We...We mentioned that. Did you forget?)

Well, I was busy doing Wych Cult things!

(Felicity Vandire: It's the Force, which is apparently sort of like Psyker powers but much less horrifying and much more T'au. I'm excited to see what bits of T'au bias we can find in the books, see how the T'au depict the fictional world in relation to our real one.)

Are there women in Star Wars?

(Felicity Vandire: ...are there women in Star Wars?)

Yes, that is precisely my question!

(Felicity Vandire: I've asked Vior to send you a picture of a Twi'lek.)

>////<

That was a blushy face, in case you were not familiar with my sophisticated code.

(Felicity Vandire: Dork.)

...The second one, then the first one?

I would also like to see this picture.
[Ynathe has sent a picture of what appears to be a blue-skinned Twi'lek in glittering makeup and a gorgeous dress, currently singing into a microphone at a cantina. This is a costume-player at a Galaxy Faire, a sort of festival/live-action roleplay for Gue'vesa, T'au, and others living as though they are in the world of the fiction. She is curvy and tall, with full lips and shimmering silver heels. The sleeves are long and flowing, and she appears to be in middle age. The collar is high.]

(Kozba: We'll see how we's feelin' den.)

I feel as though I should remind readers that this work (like canon 40K) discusses themes of violence and sexuality, and is not suitable for those under 18.

Warhammer Book Club: The Force, Part 1
OOC:

I want to thank @SolarFlare for helping contribute Tai's/T's lines to this, she was invaluable in helping me get back on the horse. SolarFlare is that Psyker found in RP, and is dating the person writing the Astartes reviews, so she's a pretty big deal. Thanks for your help writing this. Had a great time making this update nice and meaty.

IC:

Well, hello, everyone! Welcome to Warhammer Book Club, so named after the tabletop game Warhammer 40,000! Today, we'll be covering The Force, as discussed in the West End Star Wars core rulebook and the Fantasy Flight Games books such as Force and Destiny and Age of Rebellion. Now, as established previously, Star Wars is a popular setting for a series of films, tabletop roleplaying games, miniatures wargames, novels, and other such things. Also arcade games, including that fantastic 8-bit cabinet beat 'em up Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

(Felicity Vandire: Glad to be here.)

(Vior Or'es: I am very tired.)

(Felicity Vandire: You should not be wearing that.)

(Vior Or'es: It is perfectly suitable wear for when one is training in twirling around a pole.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...What? Is...Is this your attempt at a joke?)

(Vior Or'es: No, no! Twirling around a pole is an excellent form of exercise and creative expression, one that allows me to display my body in a manner that promotes personal pride after a long day of engineeringl work.)

(Antimony: ...I know we work a bit blue around here, but that seems...And you? You really don't seem the type. It seems...well, again, blue.)

(Vior Or'es: I thought we talk about such things frequently! Why, I for one am well-aware of the many times that Ashlee's twelve-inch armored phallus has entered into our discussions!)

(Felicity Vandire: It never has! I didn't even know that she...Ugh!)

(Vior Or'es: I may be misremembering. I am also surprised to see you acting particularly prudish, Antimony. Less surprised about Felicity, truthfully, though I hope to respect her boundaries and yours.)

(Antimony: Well, it's just that you come off so...erm....innocent.)

(Vior Or'es: Oh, do you expect me to be some bland, appealing-to-the-neurotypical sexless stereotype of an autistic sophont, being innocently goofy and intelligent in the manner of a particularly insightful child? That is not a very accurate or respectful way to view someone, though I do understand it can be easy to stereotype when one is only exposed to condescending media.)

(Antimony: Well, no, no, of course not!)

(Vior Or'es: Are you all uncomfortable with my chosen topics of conversation? I can apologize if needed.)

(Felicity Vandire: No, that's fine. It's more that...well...I sort of faintly knew you were like that, like most other sophonts, but..It's just that I expected it to be nerdier.)

(Vior Or'es: There's nothing nerdier than theatre.)

(Felicity Vandire: Stripping is theatre?)

(Vior Or'es: No shit, homeslice.)

Well! Let us begin! Oh, and, Tai, were you watching all that?

(Tai Cirra: Yeah, just wasn't really sure when I should speak up. And if we're all just typing on terminals, does it really matter what anyone's wearing as long as they're comfortable?)

(Vior Or'es: The Magician told Antimony to tell Kozba to tell me to send a picture.)

(Tai Cirra: Well now I'm curious.)

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.— Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ana Tathis, one of the few who have taken up the way of the Force. My studies of the Jedi make me a criminal in the eyes the Empire. It is not an easy path, but it's one well worth travelling. I will try to explain to you as best I can, but to understand you must let go of your conscious thoughts and sense the life around you. Only then can you feel the flow of the Force...

The mysterious energy known as the Force permeates the galaxy. It is created by life, found everywhere, a part of everything. It lies beyond that which can normally be perceived, yet a few beings— such as the Jedi Knights — know how to feel its ebb and flow. With practice and study, Jedi learn to manipulate that energy, gaining control over life, thought and matter. The Force is the foundation of the beliefs of the Jedi. As their kind were all but eliminated by the evil Emperor Palpatine, those who knew of and believed in the Force became silent and were few in number. At the height of the Empire's power, the Force was considered little more than an arcane religion, and the Jedi nothing but a group of misguided fools. However, despite the darkness brought to the galaxy by the Emperor and his minions, it was the power of a young Jedi named Luke Skywalker who returned light and freedom to the galaxy by destroying the Emperor. Belief in the Force has once again returned to the galaxy.
- West End

The evil Emperor, you say?

(Felicity Vandire: Really?)

(Tai Cirra: And we have something like psykers too. But The Force seems less hazardous than the warp usually is if you aren't careful.)

An arcane religion, you say?

(Felicity Vandire: Someone please tell her to stop.)

(Tai Cirra: Why would I do that, she's right.)

(Felicity Vandire: It's a fictional setting. So an imaginary character happens to also be an Emperor. There's more than one Empire.)

(Tai Cirra: An Emperor who made it law that all psy- Sorry, Jedi, must be hunted down and killed or controlled? Surely, that can't have happened too- Oh wait. It did.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...So we've exchanged bad Imperial propaganda for bad Tau propaganda?)

(Tai Cirra: Bite me.)

(Felicity Vandire: Let's not get petty.)

The Force is an essential part of nature— like energy or matter — but it has yet to be quantified and analyzed. The Force is not to be understood in the same manner as the physical qualities of the universe. The laws of physics are observable; technology is predictable and readily-controlled. The Force is neither controlled nor controlling — it is a part of life itself; asking if it controls or can be controlled is like asking if a person controls his component cells, or the cells control him. It is not known whether the Force has always been, came about as life evolved into intelligence, or if it coerced the evolution of intelligence. To the Jedi, it does not matter. It's enough to know that the Force is.

(Felicity Vandire: What kind of faux-spiritualist mumbo-jumbo is this?)

(Tai Cirra: I mean, that's basically how the Warp works if you know what you're doing. …It's kind of like that gravity metaphor where you have the stretchy sheet and the weights? The more life and thought in an area, the larger the signature and the more potential you have to work with. …There's probably a lot of fancy terms for things but I never got the fancy training.)

(Vior Or'es: Wait, does this make Tai Cirra a Jedi?)

Well, erm, anyway, this is all, erm, fascinating, yes. Oneness of the universe, and all that. Very...profound.

(Ashlee Viola: I think I'd get a mite pissed if I learned my entire life was dictated by some sentient cosmic force.)

(Tai Cirra: …I don't know if I'm a Jedi? The intro made it sound kind of like it's specific philosophies and stuff.)

(Vior Or'es: Yes, very much so!)

For most of my life, I was ignorant of the ways of the Force, yet I'd always felt that I was somehow "special". I knew my life had a purpose and it was up to me to discover what l was destined for. If l wanted some thing to happen in my life...truly wanted it deep in my heart...it managed to come true. And when I faced a challenge...something that was important to me... I was often able to succeed, despite great odds. Somehow, I was able to bring about that which I wanted most. That's when I came to the attention of "Lady Caryn." All of the village's children knew her as the storyteller. On hot summer evenings, we'd gather under the takka trees to hear her tell tales of grand adventures and brave heroes.

One day
— / think I had seen sixteen or seventeen summers by then— she pulled me aside in the marketplace. She said she had "sensed" me, that I was "strong in the old ways." This was my start on a perilous, challenging journey. She opened my eyes to the path that I'd somehow overlooked even though it was always right in front of me...the way of the Force.

(Tai Cirra: …Sounds kind of stronger than the Warp. Manipulating destiny isn't something that I've heard of a lot. Most I've ever done was be lucky when it comes to shooting and not getting hit. …Lots of wishes didn't come true.)

(Felicity Vandire: Do you want to talk about it?)

(Tai Cirra: …Not happy stories really. Don't want to distract too much from what we're here to do.)

(Felicity Vandire: Well, if you ever need to talk, I'm happy to listen.)

(Ashlee Viola: This almost, sorta sounds a bit like the Hive Mind. It's far from perfect, but I kinda get the one using the other.)

Now, let us put our brainy specs on and consider what the T'au Gue'vesa author must have intended by putting "The Force" into this world. Surely, we must consider the cultural context!

(Antimony: I believe "The Force" is a metaphor for the Greater Good.)

(Vior Or'es: ...No?)

(Antimony: Much like how the Empire is a metaphor for the Greater Bad.)

(Vior Or'es: What?)

(Antimony: What binds all T'au together? The Greater Good, of course!)

(Vior Or'es: You are a bad anthropologist.)

(Ashlee Viola: You can't just make up things about other cultures. You have to study them, use surveys an' that kinda thing. I didn't get my doctorate in anthropology to watch you colonialism this.)

(Antimony: How dare you call me a colonialist! I'm an art thief, not a monster!)

(Tai Cirra: Ashlee's right. Making up a bunch of stuff is how we ended up with those codex books.)

(Antimony: I thought the problem was that the things they made up were bigoted.)

(Vior Or'es: The things you made up were also questionable, and frankly science relies on consistent and factual data.)

...We do want to avoid doing a Games Workshop. Good point, Tai.

(Tai Cirra: Thanks! ^_^)

"But how am I to know the good side from the bad?"
"You will
know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. '
— Luke Skywalker and Yoda, the Jedi Master

The Force is like any element of nature — it has both positive and negative aspects: the light side and the dark side. The light teaches peace and harmony. It is the constructive side of the Force from which all love, understanding, and knowledge originate — it is the essence of life. Those who are at peace with themselves can learn to harness the amazing powers of the Force.

The dark side is the counterweight to the light. Many young students falsely believe that the dark side is stronger than the light — in truth, it is only easier. The dark side springs from the negative and destructive impulses of all living beings — anger, fear and hatred are its symptoms. Death and war are the byproducts of the dark side. It is dangerously seductive to those who lack the ability to control their emotions and passions. Those who give in to the dark side find their abilities greatly enhanced at first, but as time passes, the dark side does not respond so readily. The dark side demands more and more of those in its power.

Those who are sensitive to the Force soon learn that there is no middle ground between the dark and the light. For most beings — unaware of the power of the Force — the struggle between good and evil is not as powerful, not as compelling. For those attuned to the Force, the struggle of good versus evil, life versus death, is of utmost importance.

Those who learn the ways of the Force must be careful to remember their own inner peace or they will surrender themselves to the dark side, as Anakin Skywalker did many, many years ago. They must be careful not to start down the path of the dark side, for its self-destructive ways are difficult to leave once embraced.

The Force's Many Guises

"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. "

— Han Solo

Even those who don't believe in the Force can unconsciously manipulate it and be manipulated by it. They may not be truly "sensitive" to its flow, but they still call upon the Force without even realizing. These people seem to have an almost unnatural ability to accomplish their objectives, whether their intent is good, evil, or somewhere in between. The skeptical call it luck. The unbelievers may call it destiny or fate. It is the Force.

(Felicity Vandire: This "The Force" stuff is getting culty-sounding.)

Oh, please, babe. Anyway, my theory is that "light" and "dark" are vast oversimplifications to cover a range of methods and motivations, and that this roleplaying game manual is using a technique known as the "unreliable narrator" to disorient the reader.

(Vior Or'es: We know what the "unreliable narrator" is. :] )

(Tai Cirra: At least for me, the warp is like a kind of spectrum. Some things are easier in certain mindsets. Biosculpting needs a clear mind, but shooting lightning or fireballs is more… angry?)

Well, I for one am very interested in this work of post-modernesque magical realist fantasy.

(Vior Or'es: I do not think this is magical realism.)

Well, with all due respect, I'd rather not be criticized for my taste in literature!

(Vior Or'es: Is everything alright?)

[Vior Or'es has sent a picture.]

I am just distracted by two great, perky globes covered in thin spandex.

(Vior Or'es: Yes, my watermelons in tights are growing well, thank you. I intend to give them lots of sunlight to approximate a Terran environment, along with enriched soil. They grow better when encased.)

...Where did you read that?

(Vior Or'es: The Magician told me.)

And you didn't suspect she was toying with you?

(Vior Or'es: Well, yes, I know, but I intend to successfully grow large and tasty watermelons so as to turn her prank into a productive project. I also hope to test the hypothesis that her "prank" actually could work. Oh, and Tai, I would be interested to run some tests with you to test your hypothesis sometime. After all, the fun part of science is that you can mess around so long as you take notes!)

(Tai Cirra: As long as you're providing the testing materials. I upset my girlfriend because I was really angry when I was trying to make pyrokinesis work and the candles kept exploding because I couldn't manage the fine control. …And what's a watermelon?)

(Vior Or'es: A watermelon is the fruit of a trailing vine-like plant of the Cucurbitaceae family. It is domesticated, quite large, round, extremely juicy, and eaten by many Imperials of different social classes, from the fairly affluent to the opulent. They are, in fact, judged by their size, and a large watermelon displays the puissant skill of the grower.)

"Only certain individuals could recognize the Force for what it was. They were mercilessly labeled: charlatans, fakers, mystics— and worse. Even fewer could make use of it. As it was usually beyond their primitive controls, it frequently was too powerful for them. They were misunderstood by their fellows and worse. " —Obi-Wan Kenobi

Among those who learn to manipulate the Force, the most common path is that of the Jedi. Each Jedi relates to the Force in a different way, drawing upon a wide variety of powers — different manifestations of how the Jedi can manipulate her internal Force and the Force of the universe around her. Students of the Force can learn to slow or stop their own life functions, accomplish physical tasks that others would consider impossible, and even move physical objects by the power of the mind alone.

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange things ..."
— Han Solo

Others beside the Jedi Knights know how to manipulate the Force. They often attribute their powers to different sources—magic, shamanism, religion, meditation, ancestor worship, or any of a million other forms of insight — but through whatever means, they are using this mystic energy to change the world around them.

This "Han Solo" person seems oddly preoccupied with not believing in the Force.

(Vior Or'es: Is it not scientifically verifiable?)

(Tai Cirra: Machines can't really measure the Warp either. If they could, they wouldn't need all those inquisitors who are secretly psykers.)

(Antimony: Anyway, this "Obi-Wan Kenobi" seems to be looking down upon many people. Besides, "Han Solo" does not sound like a typical machine name. Solo Kid, or Han Kid, or Metal Kid, or Heat Kid, or Bomb Kid, or even Elec Kid sound way more appropriate. He could be Galaxy Kid. He does travel the galaxy, allegedly.)

(Tai Cirra: Maybe Han just doesn't believe in something he can't prove at all. I mean, I was just 'lucky' for years.)

(Antimony: Yes, but why would a robot not believe in wizardry? All of my robots have seen psykers in person due to our travels. Doesn't everyone interact with at least two psykers a day?)

...Are...Are you high?

(Antimony: No, merely a fat-pursed dancing fool, I say!)

...Are you okay?

(Tai Cirra: …Do you need a hug?)

(Antimony: I think I can see a floating horse.)

Stop taking horse tranquilizers!

(Antimony: It's the fashionable thing to do this season.)

(Tai Cirra: Hey Kozba, give xyr a hug.)

(Antimony: It seems kind of on-the nose-for me to see a horse while on horse tranquilizers.)

(Kozba: I don't think I'm there with xyr, mate. Xe seems right crackin', tho.)

(Tai Cirra: Well you're the closest one and the one most likely to be with xyr soon. I don't have the spire sized psy amp I'd need to beam a hug that far.)

(Kozba: ...I'll finds a tellyporta.)

Of the galaxy's countless inhabitants, only a few beings are "Force-sensitive." They have the ability to concentrate and sometimes bring about their will by subconsciously tapping into the Force. They have the potential to learn Force skills and powers, although only a fraction ever will. During the reign of the Empire (before the Battle of Endor), the Emperor and Darth Vader expended a great deal of time and effort exterminating Force-users. Young Jedi had to hide their presence from the Empire lest they be hunted down by the Emperor's servants and assassins. The only surviving Force-users generally fit into one of the following categories:
• Those who somehow hid from the Empire. This would include Jedi such as Yoda and Vima-Da-Boda (from. Dark Empire).
Those from isolated planets and cultures. These beings may study the Jedi way, or they may know some other means of using the Force, such as the "spells" used by the witches of Dathomir or the mystic way of the Tyia.

• Those who were too weak or unstable to be a threat to the Empire. This would include the quixotic Jedi character template, Halla (from Splinter of the Mind's Eye) and Joruus C'baoth, the mad Jedi who guarded the Emperor's store house at Mount Tantiss.
• Force-users completely in thrall to the Emperor. This includes beings such as Darth Vader, Mara Jade, the Emperor's Dark Side Adepts (from Dark Empire) and High Inquisitor Tremayne (from Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim).

Force-users held captive by the Empire. While some eventually escape, most face a horrid existence. The Empire's motives in holding such beings varies: some are used for experiments in the Force, while in other cases the Emperor siphons off their life energies to support himself. Still others may have some Jedi knowledge that the Emperor wishes to pry from their minds. Vima-Da-Boda and the Jedi Corwin Shelvay (from Galaxy Guide 9) were once held by the Empire but managed to escape its clutches.

Most Force-users will be of a relatively low level of ability. Any characters above those skill levels have been exceptionally careful in avoiding the attentions of the Empire ... or they may be servants of Palpatine.

(Tai Cirra: Hmmmm, the Emperor siphoning the life of people to fuel his own existence, huh? INQUISITORS, Huh!?)

(Felicity Vandire: ...This isn't really subtle, is it?)

(Tai Cirra: The Imperium rarely is.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...You know what I meant.)

(Tai Cirra: :p )

I wonder if these powerful Force-using "servants of Palpatine" have library cards. Ha.

In the era of the New Republic, Force-users are more numerous, but they still tend to be of a low level of ability since there are so few teachers. Some train under Luke Skywalker, while others learn what can be passed down from aging instructors and what is recorded in the few remaining texts and datatapes. However, despite the New Republic's acceptance of Force-users, the remnants of the Empire (and many other groups) have a keen interest in using Force-users to accomplish their own ends.

(Tai Cirra: …Hey Vior, what is the Tau's policy on psykers?)

(Vior Or'es: There is not much codified, owing to our insensitivity to the Immaterium, but one is expected to use any psychic abilities one might have in service of the Greater Good, as with any other skill.)

I notice that this Empire falls?

(Felicity Vandire: Is...Is this what you all were dealing with with the Codexes?)

(Tai Cirra: All the time. Except this is actually fairly objective.)

(Kozba: It was an 'ell of a lot worse. Bleedin' foamin' at da mouth, it was.)

...Speaking for all of the "arrogant and depraved" Dark Eldar, I have to agree.

(Felicity Vandire: Huh.)

"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire. "
— Obi-Wan Kenobi

Long ago, those who studied and practiced manipulating the Force gathered together to establish the Jedi Knights, an order dedicated to protecting the galaxy from evil. The Jedi helped bring order and strength to a galaxy plagued far too long by conflict and fear.

Their deeds became famous. Aided by the Force and armed with their unique lightsabers, they came to be respected and honored throughout the galaxy. They were known as scholars, warriors, and philosophers. They were all those things — and much more. The Jedi spread across the galaxy, protecting the Republic and watching over its many systems.

However, within their knowledge lay the seeds of their destruction. Early on, the Jedi realized the differences between the light side and the dark side; they emphasized the importance of following the path of light. For some, the warnings were not enough and the temptation was too great: inevitably, some Jedi embraced the dark side and used their powers to bring great evil upon the galaxy.

Such tragic events endured in Jedi lore. One of these infamous incidents occurred four millennia prior to the rise of the Empire: the fall of the Jedi Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma helped bring about the Great Sith War.

In recent times, great evil rose again. The darkness engulfed the Republic, replacing it with the corrupt and evil Galactic Empire. The Emperor's New Order seized control. Palpatine and his servant, Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, virtually exterminated the Jedi. The august order that had protected the galaxy for 25,000 years — that had seemed invincible — was struck down in a heartbeat.

However, the destruction of the Jedi wasn't complete. One who escaped the purge was Obi-Wan Kenobi, Vader's teacher when the Dark Jedi was known as Anakin Skywalker. Anakin's twin children — both strong in the Force — were hidden from their father. While the girl was raised as Leia Organa, princess of the Royal House of Alderaan, Kenobi kept a close watch on Anakin's son, the young boy known as Luke Skywalker.

Luke learned the ways of the Jedi from Kenobi and Yoda, the Jedi Master. Luke's belief and strength in the Force helped return Darth Vader to the light, and Vader turned on the Emperor, ending the reign of evil that had dominated the galaxy.

In the years following, Luke has set out to rebuild the order of the Jedi Knights. After establishing his Academy on the fourth moon of Yavin, Luke now concentrates on preparing a new generation of Jedi to protect the galaxy and the Republic. The Jedi have returned...

(Vior Or'es: Exar Kun? Ulic Qel-Droma? The Great Sith War? I may need to check my references for this!)

Oh, these must be conflicting sources! I see that we will have to piece out the truth!

(Vior Or'es: That does sound fun!)

(Felicity Vandire: ...So, we're trying to create a consistent canon? I can work with that. Vior, what do those three things you mentioned mean?)

(Tai Cirra: Lemme go grab a snack if we're doing a deep dive.)

(Felicity Vandire: Sounds good.)

(Vior Or'es: My sources tell me that Exar Kun was a human Jedi Knight who became Dark Lord of the Sith and began the Great Sith War. The Great Sith War—also known as the Great Shadow Crusade by the Mandalorians who we will hopefully get into—was a galaxy-wide conflict which took place early in the timeline over the rise of the Sith due to a secret society influenced by the Sith's cult causing an uprising on the planet Teta. The Sith Lords were evil Force-users, often associated with the Emperor during the time of the Galactic Empire.)

(Ashlee Viola: This ain't gonna be entirely binary morality, is it?)

(Tai Cirra: They might get into that later. This is still pretty early in the book.)

A "Great Shadow Crusade", you say? Much like, say, a Crusade of the black variety? A Night Crusade? A blackened conquest of a religious kind? A dark-shaded holy war called by religious authorities of great size and vile taint? An obsidian-drenched blessed conflagration summoned through spiritualist leadership bearing highly notable immoral contagion?

(The Magician: Well, gotta say that a thesaurus is like a bottle of good vodka: great in a cocktail but don't drink the damn thing straight.)

(Tai Cirra: Since when do we do anything straight? …Well, besides shoot. I can't make a las shot go around corners.)

So, Tai, could one say that this was an "overcast sublimely hallowed and revered hostility subpoenaed utilizing pontifical and theological superintendency animated by surpassingly illustrious indecent stigma"?

(Tai Cirra: …Yes?)

Thank you! This is why I own a thesaurus!

(Vior Or'es: ...Tai, did you understand that? I did not.)

(Tai Cirra: …No. I just wanted to seem cool. >.>)

You are cool. Or should I say "air-conditioned"? That was a joke, I was using amusingly self-depreciating humor.

(Felicity Vandire: Dork.)

I am a queen.

(Felicity Vandire: You are, but you're also a dork.)

The Jedi Code
One of the first things that a Jedi must learn is the Jedi code; this philosophy lays the groundwork for the mastery of the use of the Force.

There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no passion; there is serenity. There is no death; there is the Force.

The Jedi must carefully observe the rules of the light side of the Force to maintain harmony with herself and the universe around her.

The light side is created and sustained by life. The Jedi acts to preserve life. To kill is wrong.

Sometimes it is necessary to kill. The Jedi may kill in self defense or in defense of others, especially the weak and the good. The Jedi may kill, if by her action she preserves the existence of life. However, the Jedi must never forget that killing is inherently wrong. The death is a stain upon the Jedi's spirit.

The Jedi seeks knowledge and enlightenment, peace and harmony. The Jedi wishes to defeat those who would wipe out such qualities — those who would inflict death, tyranny or ignorance upon others—yet the Jedi should never act out of fear or hatred. A Jedi must act when calm and at peace with the Force. To act with anger filling one's spirit is to risk temptation to the dark side.

Jedi should seek nonviolent solutions to problems — but this isn't always possible. Sometimes, killing or fighting is the only answer available. Sometimes it is even the best answer. But that doesn't mean the Jedi shouldn't try to find an alternative.

(Felicity Vandire: Oh, seems kinda T'au.)

(Tai Cirra: …I feel like suppressing emotions is a bad idea. Since eventually that stuff's going to explode and when you can make the universe dance with your brain that tends to go badly. Controlling your emotions so they don't overwhelm you, yes. Fear makes you sharp, if you can harness it.)

(Tai Cirra: …Also some people really just need killing sometimes. I don't really think it stains me though.)
(Vior Or'es: ...One must be able to come to terms with one's emotions rather than allowing them to dominate. I believe that is what the passage is discussing. I also do think the act of killing is final and unjustifiable, though it can potentially be the only choice available.)

(Tai Cirra: I mean, you can't really politely ask corrupt Arbites or PDF to go away.)

(Vior Or'es: Yes, precisely, but one not having a choice in ending a life does not make that choice any less weighty. Nonetheless, I know Fire Warriors who have not been given that choice, and I do not judge them for that great burden.)

The Responsible Use of Power. A Jedi acts from wisdom, using persuasion and counsel over violence and Force powers. Force powers are to be used to serve the interests of the light. Using the Force for personal aggrandizement, for personal power or wealth, for convenience when other means would be more prudent — all of these traits are of the dark side.
A Call to Action. A Jedi cannot allow evil to occur by inaction — a Jedi who voluntarily stands by and allows evil to be committed is encouraging the forces of darkness. Jedi are also bound by the actions of those around them. It is not acceptable for a Jedi to associate with those who willfully choose to commit evil. When a Jedi is confronted by a situation where evil is being committed, the Jedi must act to prevent that evil. There are a variety of means at the Jedi's disposal — persuasion, creating a distraction, armed action or simple mind tricks — but intervention is necessary.

Tremors in the Force. The Jedi lives in harmony with the Force, sensing its flow, drawing upon its energies ... and sometimes perceiving "disturbances" and "presences" in that flow.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force ..."

—Obi-Wan Kenobi

"I sense something ... a presenc I haven't felt since ..."
— Darth Vader

The actions of others can cause disturbances in the Force. A lone individual's impression might be like a candle flickering in the wind, while a great tragedy or act of great good may be like a sudden burst of lightning. Those who manipulate the Force often and with great power shine like the light of a sun.

Each time a Jedi draws upon the Force, there is a slight tremor as the Force is subtly altered. If the Force is used sparingly and with harmony in the natural order of things, such tremors are slight and barely detectable even at close ranges.

Those who frequently use the Force cause many, many tremors. When the Force is relied upon— used constantly to bend the universe to fit the will of the user — such tremors may be great enough that Jedi on distant planets may detect the user. Those who use the Force as a crude instrument of power are very likely to come to the attention of others.

New Jedi students are particularly likely to be detected. In their desire to master their powers, they often manipulate the Force ... yet their dabblings, if too frequent, draw the attention of other nearby Force-users. The purge of the Jedi was facilitated by servants of the Emperor who detected, tracked and exterminated novice Jedi.

Premonitions and Visions. Some Jedi experience premonitions, dreams and visions. Sometimes these events seem to be little more than random, impressionistic images, but at other times they are crystal clear glimpses of past, present or possible future events. There is much debate as to the cause of these phenomena — perhaps it's the Jedi's subconscious at work, or perhaps it's simply a different way of sensing tremors in the Force — but these occurrences have been known to warn Jedi of impending danger or to summon them to "crisis areas" where their unique abilities are needed.

Can Psykers see the future? That seems...very consequential.

(Tai Cirra: Yeah. I used to make a few extra thrones off other Guard members doing tarot readings. Came true more often than not. Obviously ditched those now, but I can still catch glimpses or general feelings. You can also get a feeling for the past depending on how strong someone's psy signature is and how recently they were there.)

...Can the future change between the reading and the actual event foreseen? Also, I wonder what sort of time-travel-style paradoxes these Jedi may run into. On the subject of the moral code, this all seems...Dutiful. Perhaps even a little suffocating.

(Tai Cirra: Definitely. If it didn't I wouldn't have been able to get through minefields. …That was more kind of "I really do not want to step here" than seeing myself explode if I did.)

I was asking if your future-sight could be wrong, or that events between might cause your initial vision to be obsolete. I'm also curious as to see how those rules work in-universe. Fair enough, though, of course! I am very lucky you're here, and not, well, not.)

(Tai Cirra: …That also depends on how far you're looking I think. I never got any specifics looking farther than a few hours. I'm also not really a specialist in divination though. …And I'm lucky to get to talk to you too.)

Well, there's just some odd implications about fate, aren't there? In this fiction and in reality.

(Ashlee Viola: ...Yeah, the whole thing creeps me out. Makes ya wonder if the future's just determined, like it already happened.)

(Tai Cirra: Nah. I can have a vision, and choose whether to interfere or not. So I'd say it's not determined.)

(Ashlee Viola: So, uh, to clarify, it shows ya the most likely vision of the future, but then anythin' happenin' in between or you choosin' not to act uh...randomizes it some more?)

(Tai Cirra: Yeah. Things are always changing. It's like… Imagine I have one of those wheels with the numbers on it that you spin for betting and stuff. Me using my powers is like taking a pict of it. I can see where it is right then, but not really how it got there or where it's going next.)

(Ashlee Viola: Yeah, makes sense. So, uh, would things be a li'l more railroady in Star Wars, what with the Force bein' able to influence fate an' luck? Maybe yer seein' what the Force picked out to happen. Which is, uh, creepy.)

(Vior Or'es: Ashlee, are you aware of someone named Kreia?)

(Tai Cirra: I mean warp stuff's also really complicated so it's probably simpler for the game.)

(Ashlee Viola: Yeah, but I'm talkin' about in the settin'. If there was some cosmic force tellin' me what to do, I'd kill the shit outta it.)

(Tai Cirra: I thought you liked The Magician telling you what to do.)

(Ashlee Viola: ...I'm a stone domme, Tai.)

I believe she calls you her "little wriggler."

(Ashlee Viola: ...What? No, 'course not.)

Her "pet ripper".

(Ashlee Viola: That was one time!)

You said it was the best night of all of last year.

(Ashlee Viola: Shush.)

(Tai Cirra: Make us. :p )

Finding A Teacher. A character who wishes to learn one of the three Force skills (control, sense or alter) must have a teacher; characters who already have Force skills find them easier to master with a teacher to instruct them. A character who begins the game with Jedi skills must have had a teacher before the game began. Whether or not the student can still contact the teacher is left to the discretion of the gamemaster. Perhaps the character mastered all the powers the teacher knew and moved on. Maybe the teacher was killed; maybe the student and teacher had a falling out; or perhaps it was just time to "move on." The teacher may have even turned to the dark side and watches the student from a distance, hoping to eventually lure the former pupil down the path of darkness.

In a universe where the Jedi have nearly been eradicated, finding a teacher is a most difficult task. A Character's search for a suitable Jedi teacher should be the focus of an epic quest, probably spanning several game adventures. The character must prove the commitment to becoming a Jedi even in the process of finding a teacher.

Once found, the teacher may not be quite what is expected. Obi-Wan, Yoda and Luke are exceptions since almost all Jedi were hunted down by Darth Vader and the Emperor. A prospective teacher is likely to have never fully completed her Force training— someone who knows enough to begin instructing the character, but lacks a full understanding of the Jedi way.

The prospective Jedi character may have to turn to one of the other "ways of knowing the Force," such as the Tyia (discussed later). Individuals who know these ways will often be isolated on a primitive world or hiding from the forces of the Empire. No matter the circumstance, the quest for a Jedi teacher should not be an easy one. It should be filled with danger, designed to test the mettle of those who seek this powerful knowledge.

When you gamemaster, you are expected to exercise firm control when it comes to Jedi characters. You can add whatever limitations you feel are necessary to maintain "game balance." You're not even obligated to allow Jedi characters — you don't have to provide a teacher simply because a character wants to become a Jedi.

While teachers are the pre ferred means of mastering the Force, potential Jedi have other routes open to them. They may be able to find a Holocron, an extremely rare device used by Jedi to record lore and lessons. (Holocrons are detailed in the Dark Empire Sourcebook and Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook.)

Jedi also used datatapes, old-fashioned paper books and many other means of recording their knowledge of the Force. While most of these items were destroyed during the reign of the Empire, a few objects were hidden away in secret retreats and on distant worlds, waiting to be accessed by new generations of Jedi. Luke Skywalker searched many worlds for documents containing lost Jedi lore; many of his lessons at the Jedi praxeum on Yavin IV were based on the information he gathered in his journeys.

(For your game, you are free to decide whether the use of a Holocron or text counts as "having a teacher." In some cases, the texts will be so detailed that they are fine substitutes for a living instructor; in other cases, the Jedi may need to seek out a living instructor to master the skills and powers the texts describe.)

Taking on Pupils. Jedi characters can instruct others in the ways of the Force. A character must have a Force skill of at least 3D to teach it and the Jedi can only teach Force powers that she knows.

By tradition, a character studying with a master may not take on a pupil. A Jedi character will seldom take on more than one pupil at a time, but some instructors — such as Luke Skywalker — will accept several students at once.
A character should be wary of teaching anyone with Dark Side Points Jedi abilities — any time a character teaches such a person a Force skill or power, the teacher receives a Dark Side Point.

Jedi characters are also responsible for the actions of those they teach. If a Jedi's pupil turns to the dark side, the Jedi is morally obligated to resolve the situation if at all possible.

I must say, this game's morality really is simplistic, and I get the sense that the Jedi Code is intended to be a mysticized version of the Greater Good in many ways, albeit one with a far more individual focus and one focused on self-knowledge more than collective action. I also think having a mechanic for "Dark Side Points" inhibits roleplaying and ultimately would turn playing your character into simply trying to optimize not getting too many. I do, however, appreciate the large amount of options given to the gamemaster.
(Tai Cirra: I don't really like the idea of inherently evil abilities. I mean, biosculpting lets me regrow someone's lost leg just as easily as I could turn them inside out. Same thing goes for a gun.)

I think, to some degree, this reflects a T'au cultural preoccupation with good and evil as objective cosmic forces, one that is more secular and less traditionally theistic than the Imperium's conception of them but nonetheless is restrictive in its own way.

(Vior Or'es: ...On the other hand, maybe it is just a game intended to recreate the feel of the movies and novels and such, and the individual players are expected to alter it as needed for their table.)

Well, yes, but much of this is codified in the mechanics and the lore. I also agree that in most cases it is actions rather than abilities which define morality.

Many cultures have different understandings of the workings of the Force; the "witches" of Dathomir, the students of the Tyia and the Force-users of Ossus are but three such groups. Some ways of knowing the Force are different but no less noble or "good" than the Jedi way, while others are clearly more neutral or even evil in intent. Because of the unique ways in which these viewpoints manipulate the Force, their skills and powers can vary dramatically. If you want to create and use one of these other ways, you must define it in game terms. Here are a few points to consider:

• That way's rules, skills and powers. Because of different perspectives, each "way of knowing the Force" may have different Force skills and powers. The Tyia is an example of a way which is only slightly different from the traditional Jedi powers. Some methods use radically different skills and powers — you must define all these rules.

• How does the student gain skills and powers? Is there a set ritual or training regimen to educate students? Some ways may use academies, while others may emphasize a close student and master relationship. Still other ways of the Force may be known only through meditation, myths, hidden writings, or ancient rituals.
• What standards are the student expected to adhere to? Some methods of knowing the Force require students and practitioners to adhere to a strict code of conduct. Other methods may offer the student a great deal of personal freedom. What are the method's rules? What are the punishments for disobeying the rules—will the student be cast out, not be taught new skills and powers ... or will the student face involuntary servitude, imprisonment or worse?

• The definitions of "good" and "evil" vary from culture to culture ... although the rules of the Force do not. Some ways of knowing the Force may be rooted in the dark side, requiring a student to commit evil to progress in her studies. The student, due to her culture, may accept these teachings as "perfectly natural,"yet they will still drive the student to the brink of the dark side. When confronted with this moral challenge, those who are strong in the light side may be forced to leave the discipline and seek out another method of mastering the Force.

The Tyia

The Tyia is an example of an alternate way of knowing the Force. The Revwien Tyia adept character template follows this method. Tyia teaches that individual introspection is the way to learn the true way of the universe — students are taught to control their own personal Force (called "Tyia") through meditation and ceremony. Because of the unique way in which the Tyia studies the Force, there are some special rules regarding its use:

• A Tyia student learning control at 1D automatically learns hibernation trance and emptiness (which is Easy difficulty for Tyia). The character learns an additional three control powers.

•All alter powers have their difficulty increased by one level. All powers have a minimum time to use of one minute.

Gamemastering Jedi Characters

Jedi and Force-using characters are exceptionally powerful; while they can be a great challenge for an experienced player, a Jedi in the hands of an inexperienced or immature player can lead to problems. The most typical problem is a player who insists on using the Force for everything ... to the extent of completely overshadowing the other player characters. As a gamemaster, you have the right to limit Jedi in your game: more than one such character is generally excessive (except in the Tales of the Jedi-era) and you can even rule that no Force-users will be allowed. You should also spend some time talking with the player to make sure that the responsibilities of playing a Jedi are understood.

Force-Users. It's well established that Force-users are very rare in the galaxy. (At least in the era of the Empire.) Therefore, any Jedi character should be more than just a collection of game statistics. The player should invest some time in developing a truly interesting background which justifies the character's knowledge of Force powers. Typically, such characters have only limited knowledge of the Force (since there are not many Jedi instructors remaining). Most Jedi are also haunted by the knowledge that the Empire places a top priority on their capture and possible execution.

There is also a fascinating adventure hook in this background. Rumors of Jedi in hiding or lost Jedi writings, artifacts or lightsabers are certainly powerful motivators in the game. Jedi player characters may also be drawn by the presence of other Force-users: will the Jedi want to intercede to save a young Force-sensitive from the clutches of the Empire? What happens if a Jedi encounters another novice Jedi character: will they become friends, comrades, rivals... or even mortal enemies?

...So this setting has objective morality that just happens to mostly reflect T'au objective morality?

(Felicity Vandire: Welcome to my world.)

I think I would not use most of this passage if I were to play this game. The rules of the Force should vary or be vague enough that most cultures can agree. I can at least deal with the idea that temperance and self-control are inherent goods in this world, but the truth is that a Drukhari character here would almost certainly be a Dark Sider, which is effectively as judgmental but not as hateful as the Codex's take on us.

(Tai Cirra: I don't really know how Light and Dark map onto Chaos either.)

It seems as though the Dark Side focuses on excess and selfishness, along with cruel misuse of power, and that's defined by one lacking self-control and indulging in the pleasures of the world. It seems as though a Jedi must be in control of herself and dedicated utterly to furthering the cause of Good, such as it is. I would imagine that at least Slaanesh would map to the Dark Side, though I doubt the author of the book meant it that way. Anger is mentioned as a path to to the Dark Side, which makes Khorne questionable by the book's standards.

(Vior Or'es: As the book mentions earlier, the path to the Dark Side is found in a lack of inner peace, not in simple openness to pleasure. Still, it does mention that "Using the Force for personal aggrandizement, for personal power or wealth, for convenience when other means would be more prudent — all of these traits are of the dark side." So, it seems as though laziness and selfishness are also problems, things that are only somewhat relevant to the Drukhari and Chaos.)

(Tai Cirra: There can be good reasons to be angry too. Like injustices.)

(Vior Or'es: Injustice is best defeated with forethought and an objective perspective, rather than anger. As for Joy, it can only come from the love of both oneself and others.)

(Felicity Vandire: Anger's what you need to fight injustice. You won't get anything real done if you just keep your head calm and listen to what people tell you to do. The Jedi Code is willful ignorance.)

That seems a bit much.

(Felicity Vandire: It just bugs me.)

(Tai Cirra: My fire and lightning are stronger when I'm feeling really strong emotion too.)

(Felicity Vandire: This feels like a morality system/magic system created by people in a society privileged enough to be happy and safe.)

(Vior Or'es: ...One could say that, yes.)

Using the Force for personal aggrandizement, for personal power or wealth, for convenience when other means would be more prudent — all of these traits are of the dark side...The final determination of whether or not the Jedi deserves a Dark Side Point is up to the gamemaster. These rules are intended to encourage taking the role of a Jedi seriously — playing a Jedi is not a frivolous decision. On the other hand, the rules aren't intended to cause philosophical arguments in the middle of a game session. As a rule of thumb, if the players have to spend a lot of time justifying why their actions aren't evil, chances are the actions are indeed evil. If the players don't like your decision — well, you're the gamemaster.

(Felicity Vandire: Oh, I used to play RPGs in the barracks, and this sounds like a game where the gamemaster can fuck you over like an unentrenched position under a Deathstrike missile.)

(Tai Cirra: …So you can't use the Force to make your girlfriend happy? That's boring.)

(Vior Or'es: No, no, doing that is selfless, benevolent, caring, and productive! Of course you can do that!)

(Tai Cirra: …But making her happy also makes me really happy.)

(Vior Or'es: The right thing should make you happy. The Force does not ask for unhappiness, only for self-control, self-knowledge, compassion, duty, and conscious action to ensure yourself and others uphold them. No sophont can be a pinnacle of all of those things at once!)

It is strongly suggested that player characters seduced by the dark side become gamemaster characters, to be used as a continuing villain. (The player must create a new character.)

However, if there is one thing that Star Wars teaches us, it's tha tgood triumphs over evil. If you and the player agree, she may be allowed to continue playing a character consumed by the dark side with the understanding that she will attempt to bring the character back to the light side of the Force. This kind of character is very difficult to play properly. The player has an evil character — even if she's trying to be good.

On the other hand, allowing a player to portray the fall and redemption of her character has the makings of a truly epic story. True redemption often requires the character to commit a heroic sacrifice, and may involve the character's death. If You feel the character is not being played properly, you can take her as a gamemaster character (to be used as a continuing villain) and the player must design a new character.

Most characters consumed by the dark side began the game with other characters dedicated to the cause of the Rebel Alliance and the light. Such a character may try to hide her new path (perhaps betraying the rest of the characters at a critical point) or may simply leave the group. Playing a dark side character can be a lonely, challenging undertaking.

Some groups use Imperial characters. A dark side character would naturally be much more appropriate to this type of group. However, such characters shouldn't have it easy: they get what they deserve. Not only will a dark side charac ter face dangerous foes who embrace the light, but other, more powerful dark side characters (such as Dark Jedi) may try to control or kill the player character. A dark side character who is being played in an immature manner is going to have a very short life span.

(Ashlee Viola: This game sure loves moralizin', huh? If I were gonna play this game, I wouldn't have the patience to play a Light Side character. Gimme the cool powers an' short life span. I'm all...community-friendly, now, but when I play games at least I don't wanna be some gaddamned cuckold asking Daddy Force whether I can have fun over an' over.)

(Tai Cirra: But you like asking The Magician if you can have fun!)

(Ashlee Viola: Once!)
Well, erm, I think we got past the West End version of the Force segments. Next time, we'll cover Fantasy Flight games, which should hopefully be a bit more...open-ended in how it describes the Force.

-+++-+++-+++-
Racilia
-+++-+++-+++-​

Huh. This...

Yeah I'm pretty uncomfortable with that dark/light split too. Reminds me of some places - not the real bastard planets but the mid tier ones which have all this stuff about how 'oh there's good mutants and bad mutants' but weirdly, somehow, both kinds end up with the same shit deal and if you complain you must be one of the bad mutants. And - the way it dismisses these other psykers' cultures into 'oh it's all this one thing this one group properly understood'...

Also not sure how comfortable I am with this evil Emperor guy. And who's this Darth Vader and these other 'dark side' force users the 'Empire' had?

-+++-+++-+++-
Racilia
-+++-+++-+++-​

Huh. This...

Yeah I'm pretty uncomfortable with that dark/light split too. Reminds me of some places - not the real bastard planets but the mid tier ones which have all this stuff about how 'oh there's good mutants and bad mutants' but weirdly, somehow, both kinds end up with the same shit deal and if you complain you must be one of the bad mutants. And - the way it dismisses these other psykers' cultures into 'oh it's all this one thing this one group properly understood'...

Also not sure how comfortable I am with this evil Emperor guy. And who's this Darth Vader and these other 'dark side' force users the 'Empire' had?
...Yeah, it all feels...I don't know, judgmental? But this is judgmental in the T'au way, where they look down on you for having different values at times, rather than judgmental in the homicidally racist Imperial way. I agree with you that the "good/bad" dichotomy is questionable, and that the narrative you're mentioning is pretty problematic.

(Felicity Vandire: All I'm saying is that it's unsubtle T'au propaganda.)

...Still better than unsubtle Imperial propaganda, huh?

Oh, and I'm curious to hear other people's perspectives. The review change was kind of an unfortunate necessity, but I hope it's entertaining! If there's anything you all want to mention, feel free!

OOC oh I love this rpg and the fact that it use legends to fill out the lore sadly do not have anywhere to play this with

OOC:

Playing with the idea of "Quicker" or "Mini" reviews for the remaining Codexes, having a paragraph or two about the Codex itself and then a handful of paragraphs about what "really" happened.

Would that even be worth it? I'm mixed on the idea, there's things I dislike and things I like about it.

OoC:
Truthfully, I'm not really sure if I'm comfortable with something like that. If you want to write it, you can, but it would be noncanon because that sort of vast setting change at the hands of someone who isn't even a proper contributor feels like that would be unfair to everyone else involved in the story.
Of course, it was more of a 'If It's All Over Anyways, Might As Well Go Out In A Bang' thing. I very specifically picked an Imperial Guardsmen to make sure that I stayed below making Setting Determinations.

Would that even be worth it? I'm mixed on the idea, there's things I dislike and things I like about it.
If nobody wants to do a 'long form' codex review, I wouldn't be mad if you did the last couple of them like that.

IC:
I'd love to hear more about what sort of things you talk to her about, and what her personality's like.
It's nothing really exciting, I still believe in the Primarch's Divinity, the Emperor's Power, all of that stuff. I really just... talk honestly. All those little thought that you can't speak normally because the walls have ears and either a Commisar or Command Staff could hear it.

Like how the latest batch of Junior Commisars are probably from a Shrine World, given how zealously they're behaving, how the new Lord General obviously got his position through nepotism, or how the newest batch of rations taste worse than the last batch.

As for her personality, she's like that one (platonic) female friend who's just always got your back, and is willing to listen to you whenever you need to talk about something. I get the feeling that she's, well, very new to the whole 'demon temptress' thing.

Well, erm, I think we got past the West End version of the Force segments.
So... basically, the Force is Life, Light is Stagnation, and the Dark is Evil?

And this is supposed to be a *hopeful* setting?

OoC:

Of course, it was more of a 'If It's All Over Anyways, Might As Well Go Out In A Bang' thing. I very specifically picked an Imperial Guardsmen to make sure that I stayed below making Setting Determinations.

If nobody wants to do a 'long form' codex review, I wouldn't be mad if you did the last couple of them like that.

IC:

It's nothing really exciting, I still believe in the Primarch's Divinity, the Emperor's Power, all of that stuff. I really just... talk honestly. All those little thought that you can't speak normally because the walls have ears and either a Commisar or Command Staff could hear it.

Like how the latest batch of Junior Commisars are probably from a Shrine World, given how zealously they're behaving, how the new Lord General obviously got his position through nepotism, or how the newest batch of rations taste worse than the last batch.

As for her personality, she's like that one (platonic) female friend who's just always got your back, and is willing to listen to you whenever you need to talk about something. I get the feeling that she's, well, very new to the whole 'demon temptress' thing.

So... basically, the Force is Life, Light is Stagnation, and the Dark is Evil?

And this is supposed to be a *hopeful* setting?
OOC: Makes sense, I think I'll consider doing that.

IC:

(Felicity Vandire: ...Yeah, I can relate to that. Ynathe and...to a lesser extent, the Magician were a bit like that for me. She sounds...nice. That said, the Magician creeps the shit out of me. I know she's...probably not evil the vast majority of the time, but...I don't know. Glad you have a friend, what's her name?)

Pardon me, but what is so utterly hopeless about the setting? The preservation of life and society, along with the focus on self-mastery and devotion to others are common T'au values.

(Felicity Vandire: Weren't you creeped out by the T'au's whole "planned happy life with mild eugenics" thing?)

Well, I'm capable of exploring other cultures' moralities besides my own!

...But yes, I am unsure if I would be happy as a T'au.

OOC:

I'm gonna be honest, I think covering stuff like the "Chaos Knights" in a mini-review makes more sense.

Some of these codexes are just extremely one-note.

Helter-Skelter (Short Story) + Codex: Chaos Knights Mini-Review
Helter-Skelter (Short Story) + Codex: Chaos Knights Mini-Review

Helter-Skelter

When they were kicking Lizzi Nira van Gar — the Legendary Lizzi — with their steel-toed boots, she didn't even bother to fight back. If you fought back, you were admitting guilt. It was better to let them kill you. "The bastards", as Lizzi thought she remembered someone reassure her, might get punished later. In her bent-up top hat and bloodstained white shirt she cried on the stage. This nightmare was her own, it was what she ate for what she sowed. She was kicked in the throat by someone wearing thankfully-just-leather boots, and she coughed up blood.

Stability is Satisfaction, Liberty in Leadership, Subtlety is Slavery.

The posters on the walls of Governor Ivore stared down at her.

Hopelessness is Happiness, Power in Philanthropy, Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong.

There were lots of posters. An ancient phrase, long forgotten, entered her mind.

Helter-skelter.

She'd never heard it before, but she saw a bird in the rafters.

Lizzi felt a kick to her head, and she fell into a deep sleep. The last thing she heard was someone yelling slurs at her, saying she would bring those they loved to Chaos with her cheap sleight-of-hand. After all, when truth was deception, even openly unreal magic was a real threat.

It all boiled down to a single slogan, bleated like sheep by a willfully complicit society as the bodies stacked up in piles.

Even a fool can see that black is not white.

She'd memorized that one. It was good for getting police off your ass, along with a few denunciations of those who betrayed the free market. Sometimes you denounced people who failed to praise the God-Emperor enough, but on this planet even that was just another name for cash.

She felt bandages around her head, arm, and both legs as she sat in a hospital bed. Her legs, covered in ripped nylon and knife wounds, were being tended to.

A bored man in black robes with gold trim smoked a cigarette indoors.

"Isaac?" she asked.

"We need to find you something else to perform in. We can't keep endangering my investments in you with this magic kriff." He was bearded, wearing tinted goggles. "Can you dance?"

"...I like magic," Lizzi said, wincing as someone stitched up a deep cut on her collarbone, now exposed.

"Well, I like getting to eat, and you haven't given me shit. Can you dance?"

"I can sing," Lizzi said.

Isaac looked away for a moment, eyes narrowing. "Listen, I know what crap you'd sing about, and it would get the Bureau for Security and Health on us for 'ideological disease'."

"Well, I can't dance!" Lizzi said. "Look, we can say up front, just to make it really obvious, that I'm not doing real magic, okay? It's just performance, you know, sleight of hand!"

"Well, we're making money selling dewdrop and night oil under the cops' noses, so the gold thrones need to go into your act to make 'em clean. All I ask is that you don't keep endangering the operation."

The nurses didn't care. On this planet, you let people say what they wanted to when the state wasn't listening. It was a rare opportunity, and it was rude to spoil it for someone else.

It was right before the first show after the beating, and the Legendary Lizzi found herself in a small, darkened theatre. A grey pigeon flew in from a hole in the bombed-out ceiling and its wings fluttered it down in front of her. She reached into her dirtied canvas bag to draw from it some granola, which she held in her hand and fed the pigeon. Gingerly, the creature approached and took the food. It made a simple buck-caw and tilted its head, before she heard it speak. "Greetings."

She jumped, running a hand through greasy hair. Her top hat was on the ground, recently stitched up. "...Are...What are you?"

"I am a friend," the pigeon said. "I am here to tell you of the Protean Gospel, the only word that can save the people of this world from their torturous existence."

"No, no, no, no no! I don't want to get disappeared, or sent to a black site, or handed over to the Inquisition! I know what you are!"

Helter-skelter. Disorder, she thought.

The pigeon gave a buck-caw, then spoke. "You are not opposed to the Protean Gospel, you are simply afraid of the consequences. This planet is torment, and an escape to a better one would be far from easy. All you can do is survive until your inevitable death for 'promoting Chaotic beliefs'...or embrace that which you fear. What must we offer you? Some seek power, others protection for those they love. Some seek the chance to excel in their chosen fields, others simply seek a life of freedom. Some few, unfortunately, seek control or violence, and in those cases they are often serviced well. The path of madness is not always safe or pleasant, but it is liberation from an uncaring reality. What do you desire, sorceror?"

"I'm not a sorceror! I'm...I'm just someone who goes up on a stage, talks a lot, and does some clever misdirection. That's all I want to be, and that's all I'll ever be."

The pigeon gave the laugh of a middle-aged human man. It bubbled like fondue. "Perform with me. Trust in my guidance, for one show."

She swallowed her pride. No way out. "...Fine, but you'd better know some tricks."

At a different show, in a different town, Lizzi and her painted "dove" tipped hats, made things change location and property, and in one or two cases bent reality itself. In front of her, on a wheeled podium, was a foot-long, gold-painted metal statue of a horse. The crowd looked at her with suspicion, there were Bureau men with lasguns in the back. "Well, erm, with a...force understandable by the social sciences but surely mysterious to my lovely audience—" Her wide smile felt like it was stretching her. "Can someone please come up and examine this horse, to make sure there's no funny business?"

Spotlights on her.

Time stopped.

Resume.

One of the Bureau men, in a uniform with a wide green helmet, laughed and walked on-stage. It was a small theatre. They all were. He tapped a gloved hand against the horse, then begun to feel its legs. "Seems normal enough to me," he said, his weapon over his back. He put a too-familiar hand on her shoulder, and she gave an idle chuckle.

"Well, this singular chunk of hardened metal will soon gallop like a real steed!" she said, reaching a fingernail on the back left hoof to try and find the little gap that would cause the elaborate mechanism to work.

It wasn't there.

The hidden, covered joints wouldn't move.

"Well, I'm excited to see this one," the Bureau man said. He turned to the rest of the audience in the little room. "Why, I think if she doesn't do her magic we might have a problem! Sounds like a scam to me, and social parasites are the enemy of freedom." His tone got increasingly excited as he spoke, his lips curling up into a toothy grin. "Come on, lady, these good people are paying you." She saw his eyes, his heart was a bloodied fang.

There was no gap.

This wasn't the right horse.

She was going to die.

She slapped the horse off of the podium, and it dented the wood stage. "There, see, it galloped!" she said.

The Bureau man drew his weapon and pointed it at her. These Bureau men all wanted to be Inquistors, she thought, but here prayers were cheap and power prohibitively expensive. "Failing to provide a service promised," he said, triumphantly. "As a Deputy Commissar in the Bureau for Security and Health, I'm making this an official trial under the laws of the D'Anconia People's Directorate. In the name of the God-Emperor, the People's Will, the Governor and People's Director Ivori, the Free Market, you are currently judged as an enemy of liberty and a social parasite for your Chaotic affectations and visible poverty, so this People's Court judges you unworthy of freedom. In order to prevent your existence bringing down property values and social harmony, you are sentenced to execution."

The crowd cheered, and Lizzi wasn't sure if they were doing it to stay safe or out of real desire to see her dead.

"Let's get to it," the Bureau man said, punching her in the head and jabbing his gun into her back. She begun to sing. He stopped, confused.

O angels and monsters and blessed night terrors / painfully obvious stories and errors / hopes snatched from me like a burning desire / now I am become death / now I am become fire

She sung louder, and the pigeon flew onto her head. The Bureau man made a crack about it shitting on her and somehow making her hair smell better, before reaching to pull the trigger. Then, he began to sing.

Life and death and monstrous hatred / reality objective and built into mischief / soldiers of sanity seek to engage / now you all will bow down to this life-battered mage!

The second Bureau man reached for his lasgun but then dropped it and joined the choir.

As demons seek plenty, as monsters seek grace / there is no freedom or homeland, just a dirty old place / come now, for this land begs for desire / down with Ivori, now let there be fire!

The crowd sang, filled with all of the injected hope as the rest of them. Still, it was Lizzi's voice that sang highest and loudest of all.

Redemption by mental force. The pigeon flew above the crowd like a dragon, and she followed it.

It taught her.

Governor Ivori sat in her office. She wore a crown of spines, metal, and her face was withered with deepest age. General Marcus of the Bureau dropped a dataslate on her desk. "Governor, the rebellion in Tin Complex only continues to grow."

She sat in the withered old office, more withered than her, and flipped through pages on the dataslate. "...A Chaos cult?" she asked. "We haven't had Chaos in almost a century. The People's Directorate is a model colony. We have clear, objective morality, enforced consistently. Chaos sympathy is a mental illness, and we've made sure that every single citizen of the Directorate is sane. The shift to free economics also nipped desires for advancement outside of the system in the bud. How the heck did this start?"

The General exhaled. "...They say it stared with a cheap stage conjurer."

"And where is it now?" the Governor asked.

"Taking over the whole damn planet in song."

Chanting and screaming as she stood on a great marble dome, she looked down upon her people as they rioted and broke everything they saw. Gleeful singing flooded the streets as a people allowed to feel hope overran the planet. She read from her book the pigeon had gotten her, yelling ancient words and blasphemous phrases. Manic, she shouted "Come to me!" and the skies opened with a daemonic rift.

The sun was gone, there was only wings and teeth.

"I beg of you, save them, don't kill them!" she pleaded to her Daemons, and they largely listened.

Still, there were too many bodies. Even if there had been only one, that would still be so.

Inquisitor Alve held the brim of his tall hat as he sat in his office in Keyperr Station. He was a young man, a righteous man, with something to prove.

His assistant, an acolyte in robes, spoke. "...It is believed that this conjurer made contact with a Lord of Change. That is the only way to explain her sudden zeal and extreme growth in power. Sir, I believe if we can take out that keystone, the Chaotic infection should halt and things should be able to get to normal once more."

"...That's not good enough. The taint's grown," the Inquisitor said.

"Sir, this planet has spent decades crafting a society perfectly organized for sanity and defense against the daemon. Do we want to throw all of it away?"

The Inquisitor sighed. His words were leaden. "...Son, you must learn that to us, a planet is a very cheap thing indeed."

Everything was fire and death, nothingness. She didn't exist. In the Warp, she stood in front of her pigeon, who became into an avian Lord of Change. Lizzi floated in front of him, in this underwater world where all she could see was blue and coral. She spoke perfectly. "...You put me on this path."

"No, Sorcerer, I saved you from death. Your actions were your own. Their actions were their own. It is marvelous what one can do once one has the confidence to do it."

"Is...this where I'm going to be forever?" she asked.

"No. As before, you have two options. The first is that you may disappear, die for good or be absorbed into a machine or into some creature's maw. You are just a soul, now, after all. You may also ascend, and serve Chaos for eternity. It will not be easy, nor will it allow much of who you are to persist. You will be a creature of ideas, of emotions, and the longer you live the less you will have in common with you now. I leave it open."

She embraced the helter-skelter and the avian ziz.

"What kind of nightmare mage are you?" Isaac screamed, as the claws of the Daemon Princess in her glory and splendor traced cuts down his chest.

"Merely a magician! I mean, what do I look like, a pharmacist?" she asked, and the Magician ripped his body in twain like fingers through cake.

Codex: Chaos Knights Mini-Review

Well, hello, everyone! I am the Magician, of course, and I've gotten the chance to write a little bit of a review for one of the Codexes our good friend Ynathe didn't cover. I'm afraid I don't have her talent with word count inflation, so I'll keep it short and simple. You can probably get the tone by all the stuff she covered, though: demonizing, condescending, insulting, bigoted, narrow-minded, and downright boring.

What the Codex describes:

• Evil Chaos nobility in evil Chaos giant robots
  • More demonization of Chaos and equivocation between Chaos and the Imperium
  • Big guns and cool robots
  • Buy models!
  • Really cheesy "evil religion" melodrama
  • Evil, questing robot knights called "Dreadblades"
  • House Lucaris loves murder
  • House Herpetrax are anarchic (in the colloquial sense, buds, not the political sense) raiders
  • House Khymere defected because of the Great Rift
  • House Korvax are brooding geeks who like extinguishing hope and creating terror
  • House Vextrix love obeying their duty so much they keep doing evil things because someone said to
  • House Khomentis likes hunting demons and people
  • There's an "Eightfold Path" of Damnation, and it seems a bit in poor taste to compare an ancient (if recently revived on some worlds in presumably imperfect form) religion's beliefs to the caricatured Evil-with-a-capital-E of the book's take on Chaos Knights

The Truth:

Well, friends, here's the thing! Chaos is a multi-faceted thing! Everything's multifaceted, really! What I will say is that this silly little book seems so intent to treat Chaos as a religion entirely built on evil that it fails to understand the reasons why people might come to Chaos. For House Lucaris, it's the acquisition of wealth—I said we were multifaceted, not all "Living Saints"! For House Herpetrax, it's a sense noblesse oblige that has historically been pretty much nonsense but under the current leadership is taking on more value.

For House Khymere, Khorne gave them the strength to defend themselves and the resilience to survive the Great Rift. For House Korvax, they're just palace-dwelling dicks who love lording it over people. House Vextrix are...Well, frankly they're almost perfect heroic Knights-errant, they simply dislike the fact that the Imperial planets near them aren't very—ha!—noble. As for House Khomentris, well, the book gets them about right. They've got a weird, hunting-based morality that I don't really know if I get.

Suffice to say, these Chaos Knights range from the monstrous to the blessed, with the only things in common being the means to own giant, ancient, expensive robots and the desire to use those massive machines in service of some obstensibly Chaotic goal.

Other than that, well...The Magician says don't trust the extremely wealthy without very good reason, but I'm biased!

There are good Imperial Knights, there are good Chaos Knights, and vice versa for both! It's just that this book is trying to shoehorn one into "evil" in a way that is so oversimplified as to be totally friggin' useless! It's so cute, though.

Humans are so dumb.

Oh, erm...No offense, humans. I was a human, and I was also dumb. Not that I'm saying humans are inherently dumb, just that when you only live a century and a half most of the time you...

Aw, screw it. Maybe I just don't get humans anymore. Well, no hard feelings?

Oh, erm...No offense, humans. I was a human, and I was also dumb. Not that I'm saying humans are inherently dumb, just that when you only live a century and a half most of the time you...
Wait, we're supposed to live that long? I don't think I've known anyone who has without, Y'know, chaos being involved.

Wait, we're supposed to live that long? I don't think I've known anyone who has without, Y'know, chaos being involved.
(The Magician: Oh, it depends on wealth, access to medical technology, that kinda thing! As always, income inequality is a real femme fatale!)

Other than that, well...The Magician says don't trust the extremely wealthy without very good reason, but I'm biased!
IC:Unfortunately the Singing Deamon is correct.Extremly wealthy people are already dangerous but adding in a giant-possibly sentient warmachine and some chaotic weirdness and you basically get some very ostentanious and subliminally malevolent people.

(The Magician: Oh, it depends on wealth, access to medical technology, that kinda thing! As always, income inequality is a real femme fatale!)
IC:Not to mention Rejuvenat then shit starts getting real whacky.

Warhammer Book Club: The Force, Part 2
OOC:

This update on the Force will draw from the three core Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars books, and will include contributions from @hellgodsrus as well as @SolarFlare, the former playing Tai's girlfriend Nika.

IC:

Well, everyone, let us get back to basics!

Today, we'll be discussing the Fantasy Flight Games books and their descriptions of the Force, starting with Edge of the Empire.

Now, can our recurring out-of-the-non-polycule guest and her girlfriend introduce themselves?

(Nika: Hey, it's me. Kinda weird typing like this in literally the same room as Tai, and also having my name be kinda widely available, given that I'm pretty sure we're both fairly wanted criminals at this point. Uh, if you're reading this Inquisition, I'm behind thirty firewalls?)

(Tai Cirra: I'm Tai, ex-Imperial psyker and now follower of someone who doesn't want my life to be miserable! I'm learning more techniques now and lately have been doing a lot of bioshaping. And don't worry Neeks, they already kinda knew who we were anyway. Not that any of their data they have on us is still accurate.)

(Nika: Right, introductions. Also I'm not too sure about that, never pays to underestimate people. Uh, I'm Nika Kuznetsov, formerly of the Vostroyan Room Clearers. I worked in manufactories as a kid, wanted to join the guard, parents didn't really like that cause gender expectations and relatively low pay. Joined anyway, things in the regiment were shit, I eventually deserted while on low level pacifying duty in a hive city. Buncha shit happened, now I'm Nika Kuznetsov, daemonsmith and rebel. Oh, and Tai's my girlfriend.)

(Vior Or'es: ...What exactly did the Vostroyan Room Cleaners do?)

...I'm sure it's a very sensitive topic.

(Nika: Eh, not really. We were CQC, or meant to be. Didn't stop brass assigning us to trenches over and over a-fuckin'-gain despite our equipment being throne damned shotguns.)

Humans are often very silly and typically unable to do things correctly.

(Tai Cirra: The regiment I was in sat around for six months at a base camp once until they sent in something that could actually cut a road through dense jungle since the Chimeras couldn't fit between the trees.)

(Nika: Pretty sure it's not a human thing, it's just a guard higher ups and Munitorum thing. Or some guard and some munies, anyway.)

Oh, that makes more sense. I wonder, sometimes, why the Imperium's rank-and-file military is such a problem if they're terrible at everything.

(Felicity Vandire: We aren't. It's just that sometimes people mess up.)

(Nika: Yeah that's… a good way of putting it I guess. That and folks in command who don't know how things on the ground work.)

(Felicity Vandire: That, or a Ventrellian Noble got an officer rank. I have stories.)

(Tai Cirra: We can swap Imperium horror stories sometime when we don't have an actual topic we're supposed to be looking at. …I feel like it'd be a good venting session.)

(Felicity Vandire: All I'm saying that one person's heroic defense is another person's thoughtless suicide charge to pad a pay-for-rank officer's war stories.)

Oh, dear. Well, let me find the first passage.

Two of these individuals, a Dark Lord of the Sith and a fallen Jedi, proved the final downfall of both the Old Republic and the Jedi Order. After the horrors of the ancient wars between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire, the Sith faded into obscurity and myth. The Old Republic entered an age of peace and prosperity, and eventually complacency and stagnation. However, the Sith still existed, and they had not forgotten. The dark lord Darth Sidious rose to power in secret, manipulating the framework of galactic governance. At the same time, he adopted a public guise as Palpatine, the Republic Senator from a minor planet named Naboo. None knew of his dual personas, and he secretly manipulated events to create crises and become Supreme Chancellor, the elected head of the Republic. Meanwhile, as Darth Sidious, he secretly manipulated many members of the Republic into outright insurrection, thrusting the entire galaxy into the terrible Clone Wars. Possessing the emergency powers of a wartime leader, Palpatine was on the cusp of taking control of the Republic from within. However, he needed one final piece to accomplish his goals, and he found it in the young but extremely powerful Jedi Anakin Skywalker.

Skywalker's corruption and fall to the dark side was arguably one of Darth Sidious's greatest achievements. Reborn as Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, Skywalker and his master turned on the Jedi Order and destroyed them. Palpatine crushed the separatist forces, then turned the Republic's armies on the Jedi. Flush with triumph, he declared himself Emperor, proclaiming a desire to protect order and stability in the galaxy. Though almost nobody knew it, Darth Sidious had accomplished what the Sith had not been able to—the conquest of the Old Republic and the destruction of the Jedi.

(Nika: Huh. Sounds like this guy they were calling 'Emperor' last time round has a lot of history stuff which all sounds kinda wild. Not sure how much I like the idea of this traitor working away in the heart of the good guy dominion with psyker powers to corrupt people.)

(Tai Cirra: I mean, the corpse still has a strong enough psy field on it to navigate by how many thousand years after the guy died? …Admittedly they're doing the life siphoning thing that got mentioned in the last one too, but…)

(Nika: I dunno. Sits weird with me. Maybe if we knew more about this 'Old Republic' and how they actually did things. Other than electing Mister Evil by accident.)

My reading of this is that it's a surprisingly Imperial—as in the real Imperium—perspective. The T'au tend to be neutral on psyker powers, but this Gue'vesa may have had a few issues not yet worked out. The Sith, so far, remind me a bit of Chaos, and this fear of subversion is evident. They say that the most zealous converts take much of their past allegiances with them.

(Nika: Yeah, guess that's what sits weirdly. Reminds me of like, stereotypes about Chaos psykers. Tzeentch ones, I guess, given the whole hiding in the shadows being an Evil Puppetmaster. Surprised Magician hasn't chimed in.)

(The Magician: Well, you darling little peach, I was just giving quite the performance! Did you know that the most powerful magic is love? Well, love and other things! I guess that's what you get when you run with the big dogs? Or, should I say, wolves?)

What in blazes are you talking about?

(Tai Cirra: I do like they admit there's nothing inherently evil about being a Force user/psyker though. It's what you do with it.)

(The Magician: Oh, and what else can make a cute, adorable little former Space Marine squirm like love? Besides a TENS unit.)

Most, though not all, species have some connection to the Force. However, some are more sensitive than others. Typically, Force sensitivity is an inherited trait, passed down through generations of Force users, but it can appear in others without warning. In the days of the Jedi, Force-sensitive beings were usually discovered at an early age and taken to the Jedi temple to learn the ways of the Force. Those days are gone. Under the Galactic Empire, Force users are hunted down and destroyed, or sometimes corrupted by Darth Vader and the Emperor to embrace the dark side. A Force-sensitive being has to learn how to use the Force on his own. This can often be a painful process that takes a great deal of dedication, as well as trial and error, to grasp even an inkling of understanding about the Force. Without proper training, such beings rely on will and instinct to guide them through their journey. They possess powers they barely understand, and thus risk falling to the Dark Side without even realizing it. Thus a Force user must keep his connection to the Force a secret, only divulging his abilities to those few he knows he can trust.

(Nika: Yeah, this 'dark side' is definitely, like, Chaos-coded. Interesting they have their Emperor and, uh. Custodes? Inquisitor? I dunno if there's an equivalent for this Skywalker/Vader guy. Anyway, interesting they have them affiliated with the chaos coded thing. Otherwise this is, like, as I understand it, a decent metaphor for being a psyker?)

(Tai Cirra: Yeah, if you don't concentrate right when you're trying to do something, it's fairly easy to break things. I blew out all the lights in a hall once weoihtaasd)

(Nika: Nope, nothing to discuss about all that!)

(Tai Cirra: …Sorry. You want that pillow back? )

(Nika: I hurled it for a reason…….. yeah it'd be nice to have back. Sorry.)

(The Magician: Pardon me, Mistress has a quickie with said person.)

(Felicity Vandire: So...Onto the Force and Destiny book?)

(Ashlee Viola: I hate destiny.)

(Antimony: I think destimony isn't too bad, personally.)

Although it eludes the grasp of pure intellect, the rival traditions of Force users have learned much about its power over the millennia. Those who would use that power today must understand these lessons. The Force consists of two related, but distinct, elements: the Living Force and the Cosmic Force. The Living Force is generated by the energy of living beings throughout the galaxy. This is the Force at its most immediate and instinctive level. It is this aspect of the Force that allows for many of the impressive abilities that have fueled the aura of legend around the Jedi and Sith, and that still excites the galaxy's imagination. The ability to trick the minds of other beings, to sense their presence, and to manipulate physical objects all come from the Living Force. As life in all its myriad forms cycles endlessly, so does the Living Force. It can ebb and flow, growing stronger in some places than others, especially in locations of great significance for life or death. However, this sequence of renewal forms the foundation of the Force's other half--the Cosmic Force.

Ultimately. all energy from the Living Force passes into the Cosmic Force. This includes not only the energy of the Living Force at a particular point in time. but the energy of all things that have ever lived ni the galaxy. For this reason, the Cosmic Force transcends normal conceptions of time and space. In this way. it also connects all things in the galaxy together: not only what is, but what was and what has yet to come.

The Cosmic Force is the more difficult of the two for a Force user to access. It requires meditation,
openness, and harmony to attune oneself to its rhythms. It is also from here that perhaps the most powerful Force abilities come to see distant places and events. and even to catch glimpses of myriad potential futures. These abilities are seldom featured in the derring-do of a holo-drama, but comprehending the deeper mysteries of the galaxy and possessing the gift of foresight is a route to power
savored only by a few.

(Nika:... so, wait, there's two warps in this place? Or like - surface Warp and deep Warp? Or - huh. This is actually - okay, I wasn't hooked on this Force stuff before this, but this is interesting. Specially the whole all living things and transcends time bits.)

(Tai Cirra: Does kind of make sense. It's almost like an ocean and the deeper you go the bigger things get.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...Anyone picking up that the Force is a magi-fication of the idea of T'au social harmony and collective existence?)

MIDI-CHLORIANS

Midi-chlorians are micro-symbiont organisms that live with in the bloodstreams of all living things.The Jedi of the Old Republic studied them, and believed them to be fundamental to the connection between life and
the Force, though the exact nature of this relationship remains mysterious. Testing an individual's midi-chlorian count is one of the few known ways to measure Force ability using technological means, as higher counts are associated with greater potential for Force sensitivity. However, as with many matters related to the Force, there are few absolutes. Unexpected individuals have been known to develop an affinity for the Force, regardless of testing results.

Since the fall of the Jedi, active study of midichlorians has become increasingly rare.The subiect is treated with ridicule by disinterested scientists and with official discouragement by Imperial authorities.This intimate link between life and the Force means that - despite rumors of Force-attuned technology - only living organisms can sense its presence. Sentient beings in particular can be born Force-sensitive or become so during the course of their lives. The Force is particularly strong within some individuals, and some say that this trait can be passed down in families. Indeed, certain family names have been associated with the most famous, or infamous, Force users in the galaxy's history.

(Vior Or'es: Oh, no, mon'va'hak! Not the midi-chlorians! Nobody likes the midi-chlorians! They were a terrible idea!)

(Tai Cirra: …That's kinda ridiculous. Since it'd also seem to indicate you could get force powers with enough blood transfusions.)

(Vior Or'es: Yes, precisely, they take a mystic central element of the story and turn it into amateur-level phlebotomy! I do not play my games with them, they are a bad concept and I request woe upon their inventor!)

(Nika: Yeah, also the bloodline thing is kinda creepy, to me at least. Do T'au have, like, uh. Nobles? I know there's the whole… encouraging certain traits thing, but the whole 'certain family names become cool psykers, everyone else doesn't get to' kinda undercuts the thing about how everyone's a little bit 'Force Sensitive' in the last section.)

...Apparently this was an invention of the original creator of the setting.

(Vior Or'es: We have families with some esteem, but no noble privileges, and of course ultimately our families are more or less irrelevant. The most a family in T'au society gains is a note on a clipboard about an advantageous trait or some largely meaningless connection to some great deed. Every T'au is equally useful for the Greater Good.)

...Oh my, this isn't gene-seeds all over again, is it?

(Tai Cirra: …Aren't those a space marine thing?)

They are? I thought that the Imperium was, erm, into genetic superiority through magic biological treatments or whatever! Well maybe none of you get my brilliant insights!

(Felicity Vandire: You're cute when you pout, which is lucky because you're apparently really good at making yourself do that.)

Meanie jerkface jerky jerkwad.

The Force also appears to have its own will. Many powerful Force users have long hinted at this phenomenon, especially after communing with the Force or experiencing events of mystical significance. They believe not only that the Force derives its energy from life, but that it also guides the actions of the living. Some have stated that it responds most strongly to actions taken by those who consciously seek to use it, and that it aids or opposes individuals according to its own remote designs. Given these observations, those sensitive to the Force understand that it has an undeniable role in the destiny of the galaxy.

(Nika: Not this destiny bullshit again! I agree with that One Hand guy from the last review; there's no magical forcefield controlling me, unless Tai's in the mood for that.)

(Ashlee Viola: Ain't it funny how a society based on everyone havin' a place, made by someone who chose to join that society of their own accord, has a whole thing in their fictional world where everyone has a place they don't control?)

(Tai Cirra: Maybe they're just saying that so they don't have to take responsibility for things? 'Oh, it wasn't me, it was the Force!' …Would make sense.

(Ashlee Viola: Hey, Felicity, you'd know a bit 'bout that, huh?)

(Felicity Vandire: ...You have no idea what you're talking about.)

(Ashlee Viola: Heh, maybe not.)

Sentients have learned to build civilizations. to travel between the stars, and perhaps most importantly, to interact with the Force. They are able to make conscious choices and to desire more than mere survival. It is this ability to impose one's will on reality that gives a moral dimension to existence and to both the light and dark sides of the Force. The capacity for choice and intent in using the Force goes beyond the natural cycles of creation and destruction that feed it. Those who draw upon the light side know it by the feelings that invite its presence: peace, understanding, compassion, and even love. In action, its use is closely associated with life-affirming and selfless motives.

For those who have gained the deepest understanding, wielding the light side is less about imposing their own will than about allowing that of the Cosmic Force to shape destiny. At the opposite end lies the dark side. Its users know that their strength flows from raw emotion. Fear, anger, jealousy, and hatred are all conduits to the power of the dark side. Those who believe they have gained mastery over it know, too, that it is most effectively bent to their will when used for destructive actions and focused by the burning need to fulfill personal desires.

The two great Force-using traditions of the galaxy - the Jedi Order and the Order of the Sith - each developed following the path of one side to the exclusion of the other. Though their exact origins are ancient and mysterious, they have remained enemies throughout galactic history. For this reason, some believe that the Jedi and Sith must share an ultimately common origin, and that their creation in the distant past embodies the opposition between the light and dark sides. As their relative power has increased or diminished over the centuries, it has only reinforced another deeply held belief about the Force: that it has a balance, and that this balance can shift over time.

Amid this discussion of the Jedi and Sith. it is worth noting that the Force is not set apart solely for interaction with those who can directly manipulate it. All sentient beings can choose to act in life-affirming or destructive ways. Most view their actions (and lapses) within the moral code of their species or world, or in keeping with some personal creed. This does not mean that they are not acted upon by the Force. or that their actions do not contribute to the balance between light and dark. However, those who use the Force itself to further these competing moral ends operate on a different level. By embracing one side over the other, they are actively engaging in the unceasing struggle between the light and dark sides. More than any others, it is the Force-sensitive beings of the galaxy who have the greatest influence upon the balance of the Force.

Still, even the greatest of light side users can seek only to understand the will of the Force. In the twilight days of the Old Republic, the Jedi Council came to believe that the Force was dangerously out of balance. To them, the lessening of their contact with the Cosmic Force and the return of the Sith meant the dark side was growing dangerously ascendant.

Well, to put first things first, I like the idea that the light side of the Force is for life-affirming action, which I think is more or less a reasonable thing to make one's morality system about, rather than...mindlessly avoiding emotions and being obsessed with duty.

(Nika: Agreed. But like, saying doing things for yourself is somehow bad, that all 'raw emotion' gets boiled down to purely negative emotion… I don't know. I'm not even sure if this writer buys that given the whole 'well, maybe there was some unified Force theory at one point but then the Jedi and Sith started fighting' thing.)

I think the sense I get is that this author—as distinct from the West End author—seems to have a very limited and simplistic morality.

(The Magician: Oh, the original movies were simplistic as heck too, sister!)

(Vior Or'es: ...The original three Star Wars movies were masterpieces as nuanced and beautiful as a painting of a forest floor.)

(The Magician: Ya sure 'bout that? Don't the heroes get into "Cloud Cars" to drive around "Cloud City", and then some odd John cuts off the main guy's hand? Oh, and they're only doing that because a vaguely insensitive frog-man accidentally hands all the power to King Evil McDarkness like thirty years before that, too!)

(Vior Or'es: ....Jar-Jar Binks is not canon on the same level as Bespin.)

(Nika: I'll be real - that sounds awesome, Magician.)

(The Magician: ..Wait, really? Oh, right, ya don't have Hamlet and Crime and Punishment outside of the warp. Trust me, early Terrans could write!)

(Vior Or'es: ...I appreciate Nika's words of encouragement.)

(The Magician: Like the forest floor with the teddy bears?)

(Vior Or'es: It is very easy to nitpick something without touching the core of solid gold beneath the teddy bear aliens and monkey playing drums.)

(The Magician: Very true!)

(Tai Cirra: …I am very confused now.)

(The Magician: Aw, don't be too flustered. The first three holo-movers have the princess in a metal bikini and slave collar too, and a green-skinned high-femme dancer.)

(Tai Cirra: What's a bikini?)

[Ynathe has sent Tai Cirra a picture of herself in a black swimsuit.]

(Tai Cirra: oierlkgdffkgyrliiurwoerjf)

(Nika:... yeah this series is awesome, sorry magician)

(Felicity Vandire: ...You both realize this implies that she's just had this lewd and indecent photo around, for Emperor knows how long, just to send to someone?)

(Nika: Yeah? It's Ynathe. Of course she did.)

(Tai Cirra: This surprises you? You've known her even longer than I have and this is exactly something she'd do.)

(Felicity Vandire: Well, I was hoping to keep things professional.)

(Tai Cirra: She's literally a professional at looking good in skimpy outfits.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...Well, then, huh.)

Force users can control and harness the Living Force within themselves to heighten their own physical prowess. Abilities of this type gave the Jedi and Sith their astounding agility and strength, among other talents such as healing from terrible injuries, or hibernating through long periods of deprivation.

(Tai Cirra: Yeah, I can do that. Even before I tweaked how my muscles work.)

...Are these Force powers drawn explicitly from psyker powers, or is this just the fact that psychic powers often do the same things in different stories?

(Tai Cirra: Probably the second one. No mentions of Force powers backfiring yet.)

(Nika: Thought that was covered under the whole 'those who don't know what the fuck they're doing might step into the Dark Side whoo' shit?)

(Tai Cirra: Yeah, but there's "Oooh, the dark side is dangerous!" and then there's "If you try healing something while you're not in the mental state and don't have a good enough idea what you're doing you can end up with five elbows.")

(Nika: I mean sometimes that shit just happens regardless. See my backwards elbow. Which ended up being a Thing on even my cybernetic arms on that side, sometimes. Because Warp.)

(Tai Cirra: Yeah. It hasn't mentioned any of that at all.)

The second category of ability allows Force users to alter and manipulate the physical environment surrounding them. This allows for such feats as moving objects in seeming defiance of normal physical laws and directing or even projecting energy. This control can also involve the subtle manipulation of the minds of other beings. Those impressed with raw power - whether Force-sensitives or not - have always been drawn to this grouping of talents.

It seems like an interesting decision to include telekinesis and such in the same category as mental manipulation.

(The Magician: Well, the mind is a physical thing too!)

(Tai Cirra: Yeah, but like… telepathy is whole different techniques than moving things or hurling energy. Hells, it took me ages to figure out how to get electricity and not just raw warp energy. You can try mind manipulation from the biology angle too but brain chemistry is… well, beyond me.)

(Nika: Still not sure why they're different. Maybe that xenos academic knows? Uh, eldar academic. Sorry.)

(Vior Or'es: It is probably a different set of "mechanics", between the fictional Star Wars universe and our very real universe.)

Well, yes, but what do those mechanics say?

(Vior Or'es: That telekinesis is very "leaf", as you humans say to describe something worthy of appreciation.)

(Felicity Vandire: ...We say that?)

(Vior Or'es: Yes, after the smoke-leaves smoked in order to gain a high. I was told this by the Magician, so I assume it is trustworthy information and, indeed, very leaf.)

The final category of ability encompasses those involved in sensing or gaining awareness of the greater galaxy around the Force user. As mentioned before, the highest levels of these abilities involve communing directly with the Cosmic Force . Though the present and future are always in motion, the Force has much influence over both, and an individual armed with knowledge can sometimes direct events to his own ends.

Well, this seems like a more suitable way to handle destiny and seeing/altering the future.

(Kozba: Dis game seems kinda 'eady for me, dunno if it's really for me. Iz all of dis game gonna be 'bout dis stuff?)

(Tai Cirra: Nah, there's gotta be other stuff. I mean, not everyone wants to be a psyker, right?)

(Nika: Yeah, I think we're just looking at the bits about psyker stuff. I'm sure there's, like, tech people and stuff as well, I hope.)

(Vior Or'es: Well, the Force is central to the setting, with Force-users being the "main" characters to some degree.)

(Kozba: Huh.)

There is one other arena in which Force sensitivity bestows a power not available to most individuals: the ability to wield the lightsaber, the ancient weapon of the Jedi and Sith. Rarely seen even at the height of the Old Republic, the lightsaber has all but disappeared with the Jedi, becoming a weapon of legend or an item of curiosity. There are many who believe lightsaber prowess to be the signature attribute of an accomplished Force user, as it arguably draws upon all three of the areas of Force ability. Only those capable of supernaturally fine physical control can wield a lightsaber's massless blade without great risk to themselves. To be a truly effective combatant, they must also have a considerable degree of spatial awareness, gained through opening themselves to the Force. Finally, it is rumored that a lightsaber is best constructed by a Force user capable of making delicate manipulations to align its focusing crystals. Indeed, this act was considered a rite of passage for the Jedi.

(Antimony: Ooooh, are these the laser swords?)

(Vior Or'es: Indeed! I have a replica of one myself! It involves a plastic tube with a light tube in it!)

(Tai Cirra: Oooh. Sounds cool.)

(Nika: Wait wait wait. How the fuck does a laser sword work. Is it like - so ryza pattern power swords have this intensified field that I think would work without the blade, so is it that? That's not lasers though! And why can only psykers use them? Doesn't that make it more like, uh, that sword we found on Antina VII, the one with all the circuits and stuff that that Interrogator had that broke my Queen and almost chopped me in half but turned out not to have a power field? What about - )

(Tai Cirra: Neeks, you're geeking out again. :p )

(Nika: Look, if I can add a laserblade to my Queen, I'm going to!)

(Vior Or'es: It works sort of like a Fusion Blade attached to a battlesuit, though that technology is rare, does not easily scale down to a person-sized sword, and I believe the mechanics in the fiction are slightly different.)

(Nika:... I'm going to want to message you exactly about how that works. Later!)

The Jedi Order may have kept the peace of the Republic for a thousand generations, but the Republic is no more, and the Jedi have been hunted to extinction. Dark times have come, and the Empire rules now. While the Sith appear victorious in their long struggle, they remain almost a rumor and are nearly as rare as their foe.

To be a Force user is to be unique, and to face choices. A galactic civil war rages, and the Force remains unbalanced. It compels those who would use it to make decisions of significance and propels them
along the path they choose, forever altering their destiny. Soon enough, they will come to serve one side or the other in this conflict, for they are the heirs of the greatest power in the galaxy.

(Tai Cirra: …Honestly that's a bit scary. I don't wanna have that kind of pressure where I've got millions of lives in my hands.)

(Nika: Yeah. Those kinds of decisions - it being in a few people's hands is not only bad for them, but for everyone.)

(Vior Or'es: ...I am sure we are reading too much into it.)

(Felicity Vandire: I know I'm not really the person to say it, but I feel like the author of this missed the point of "The Greater Good".)

(Vior Or'es: I think we might be reading too deep into this. Are we just here to make fun of something I like?)

(Tai Cirra: Sorry. I wasn't trying to make fun of anything.)

(Vior Or'es: I just feel as though people are looking for problems to say that this world and the people who made it are bad, not good, and that nobody should enjoy it.)

(Tai Cirra: …That is definitely not what I was meaning to say. I'll just… step back for a bit.)

(Nika: Hey no, not at all. Like I said, those movies you and Magician talked about sound awesome! As do the lightsabers! Just this Force stuff - I like a lot of it, but I dunno, I feel like outside of its fiction it's got some mixed messages. Then again, the fuck do I know about that, I'm not exactly a connoisseur of fine arts.)

Any form of rapid or violent change in the galaxy creates a disturbance in the Force. While death causes the greatest ripples, anything from the birth of a child to galactic cataclysms can trigger these tremors to ripple through the Force like a shockwave. Force users feel these disturbances as a sense of uneasiness or discomfort that suddenly takes hold of them. Though this feeling varies in intensity, no disturbance should be dismissed lightly. They are each a sign of a transformation occurring in the galaxy. It is also through sensing these disturbances that Force users is [sic] capable of detecting when he is in the presence of other Force-sensitive objects and beings.
]

(Nika: I mean, if anything and everything causes those ripples, being aware of them must kinda suck.)

(Vior Or'es: Well, most ripples are imperceptible to most. Only something truly horrifying, such as the explosion of an entire planet, can be perceptible to an entire galaxy!)

...Does...Does that sort of thing happen in Star Wars?

(Vior Or'es: More often than you would think!)

(Tai Cirra: If they have ships the size the Imperium does they could glass planets easily enough. …I generally don't feel things that aren't local to me if they aren't really big. It's like background noise.

(Vior Or'es: Oh, no, this is far greater than an Exterminatus. The planet simply does not exist, it is blown into bits so small as to be essentially nothing. It is not the death of life on the surface, it is removing that planet from the galaxy itself. This happens...oddly regularly, though only in specific eras. Though, of course, the Galactic Empire does have an equivalent to the Exterminatus known as "Base Delta Zero".)

...Well, next time, we'll explore the wonders of the Old Republic, as understood from the campaign guide for the D20 version of the Star Wars roleplaying game! I am certain it will be a wondrous exploration of a very different Star Wars universe, one where the Force is widespread and where opulence and plenty exist behind every corner! How does everyone feel about that, I suppose?

(Vior Or'es: Oh, I love the Old Republic!)

(Nika: Oh shit, cool, I was wondering about them!)

(Tai Cirra: …I like the idea of not having an empire.)

(Nika: Yeah, this 'dark side' is definitely, like, Chaos-coded. Interesting they have their Emperor and, uh. Custodes? Inquisitor? I dunno if there's an equivalent for this Skywalker/Vader guy. Anyway, interesting they have them affiliated with the chaos coded thing. Otherwise this is, like, as I understand it, a decent metaphor for being a psyker?)
IC:I would say that this 'Darth Vader' seems to have something equivalent to the old title of Warmaster.

(The Magician: ..Wait, really? Oh, right, ya don't have Hamlet and Crime and Punishment outside of the warp. Trust me, early Terrans could write!)
IC:We have one of those in the palace.It' really hard to read because the original language it was written in was in use in a vastly different form for a few millinia before it died out so it isn't easy to translate.

IC:I would say that this 'Darth Vader' seems to have something equivalent to the old title of Warmaster.

IC:We have one of those in the palace.It' really hard to read because the original language it was written in was in use in a vastly different form for a few millinia before it died out so it isn't easy to translate.

Looking up what a Warmaster was, that seems...somewhat accurate, though Vader seems to be as much an agent of the Emperor than a general in his own way. I'm unsure if we have evidence he has military power in the Galactic Empire.

(The Magician: Oh, and your version is from the Age of Strife. Here in the Warp we have the First Folio, somewhere in the Super-Sargasso Sea! Those are two very different texts!)

The...The what?

(The Magician: The Super-Sargasso Sea, the part of the Warp where all lost things go! President Kennedy's car keys, Julius Caesar's lost coins, Rick Perlstein's Nixonland, Ea-Nasir's tablets, nostalgia for 1950s Americana, the first colonies on Mars, the Akashic Records, delusions of Atlantis, the Book of the Dead, the concept of Marxism-Leninism, all that stuff! Things that are gone for good, that nobody really knows even existed anymore!)

...None of those words have any significance to me.

Looking up what a Warmaster was, that seems...somewhat accurate, though Vader seems to be as much an agent of the Emperor than a general in his own way. I'm unsure if we have evidence he has military power in the Galactic Empire.
IC:Then that sounds confusing.

(The Magician: Oh, and your version is from the Age of Strife. Here in the Warp we have the First Folio, somewhere in the Super-Sargasso Sea! Those are two very different texts!)
IC:That makes sense.Nothing survived the Age of Strife without coming out a bit weird at best.(OOC:The next part is canon to 40k so no wholesale changeups) In addition the Mechanicum before the Emperor(and until the Treaty of Mars) often raided Terra for either technology/information or if a group was looking like a threat/looking uppity(then they would exterminate them to the very last and destroy or steal any and all data they had whether it be cultural or technological in nature) however Venerable Ancient Dreadnought Castus is loopy on the best of days and he was also ranting about various things.

Last edited:
IC:Then that sounds confusing.

IC:That makes sense.Nothing survived the Age of Strife without coming out a bit weird at best.(OOC:The next part is canon to 40k so no wholesale changeups) In addition the Mechanicum before the Emperor(and until the Treaty of Mars) often raided Terra for either technology/information or if a group was looking like a threat/looking uppity(then they would exterminate them to the very last and destroy or steal any and all data they had whether it be cultural or technological in nature) however Venerable Ancient Dreadnought Castus is loopy on the best of days and he was also ranting about various things.

Yes, it is confusing. Oh, and I agree with you. So much has been lost of history. The fact that Daemons rarely seem to let anyone else know about all of this meaningless esoterica only makes the situation more convoluted. There are slim to none Daemonic historians, after all.

I do think that totalitarianism in all of its forms is an enemy of knowledge and the preservation of that knowledge.

Yes, it is confusing. Oh, and I agree with you. So much has been lost of history. The fact that Daemons rarely seem to let anyone else know about all of this meaningless esoterica only makes the situation more convoluted. There are slim to none Daemonic historians, after all.
IC:Cynically speaking the only knowledge most people want from a deamon is either leverage or a way to kill your enemy in a very spectacular manner.

IC:If I were fighting the Imperium I really rouldn't be focused on anything that isn't used for war.If you are weaker than the enemy you need every trick in the book,no matter where it comes from to win and win well enough to weaken your foe.
There are many other things in this galaxy than war.

Back