Let's Read: Warhammer 40,000 Codexes and Star Wars RPG Sourcebooks (Dark Eldar Reviewer)

OOC: That would be pretty uncharacteristically dark for this story, so I'll just say outright that this is going somewhere, and that this is going to make a lot more sense in the next update. The Magician is a lot of things, but while she is extremely pushy she is not a date rapist
OOC:

As established within the text, a daemoness of Tzeentch is much like Heraclitus' river: you cannot step in the same river twice. It is entirely possible that the time-weighted average of who the Magician is may be X but not Y, even though in a particular moment the Magician is both X and Y.

To assert that a daemon of change and fluidity "isn't this" or "is that" is a very strong statement. I would argue that it would be more in line with the Magician's stated nature to say: "She's not like that! Well... she's not like that on 999 days out of 1000."

Whether or not we're comfortable with that is an individual choice, grounded in our individual opinions of morality.

Which, well... that's why I think the Magician is excellent as literature. In no small part because she brings that question into such a strong highlighted state.

It is a truism for some people that who you are at your worst is who you truly are. Daemons and Chaos as you've described them in this continuity are explicitly rejections of that premise. Indeed, I thought that was one of the points of the way you've set them up, surely- that they are chronically misunderstood who see and judge them by the standards of the most destructive and problematic things they ever do. That this is unfair and indeed untrue to their typical, median character and nature.

And yet, they do those frightful, frightful things.

and does in fact recognize that breaking boundaries typically does a lot more damage than it helps.
Still OOC:

Perhaps today she does, and tomorrow she does not, and the day after she considers the entire question incomprehensible. It's what I'd expect from her.

The striking difference, of course, is that the Magician isn't doing this out of a desire to benefit personally, and I'm not sure that being what she is, she'd even understand the concept of "for personal benefit" consistently.

She can clearly go far, far, far, too far. She just won't do it selfishly; I'm not sure she would even know how.

OOC: I love Magician, you're all complaining way too much.

In more detail; yes, Magician's actions are fucky here. But maybe I'm inured by like, decades of reading fanfic at this point, but Magician barely moves the needle on uncomfortable stuff. The confidence injection is maybe a little consent pushing, but again, daemon, and this whole thing reads more to me like the kind of classic setup for musical numbers intruding into reality that has been pushed since... oh probably earliest I saw it was Once More With Feeling, but the point is that while singing your feelings out is dangerous and uncomfortable it's not 'we must torture the source of it', which some of you are acting like.

Anyway. I love Magician's whole vibe, I love their songlets about daemons and how limited the codex's view of them is, and I can't wait to see more of her.
OOC:

As literature, she's a wonderful character who very rapidly raises a lot of very interesting questions while being quite entertaining!

From my point of view, I can truthfully say bad things about her while being very glad that she's in the story. There are plenty of characters I could say the same.

Oh, don't be such a judgmental judgey-judge. I promise you, it was perfectly rational to call the Magician into this situation!

(Sister Vandire: Ha!)
Now IC:

That wasn't judgment. That was an observation.

If you had set off a melta charge in your living quarters, and were troubled by the alarming and increasing amount of fire in the room, I would be similarly concerned for your well-being, for much the same reasons. It is not a matter of moral disapproval of fire, or of those who use it. Fire is fire.

Last edited:
You are ignoring content by this member.
OOC:

To assert that a daemon of change and fluidity "isn't this" or "is that" is a very strong statement. I would argue that it would be more in line with the Magician's stated nature to say: "She's not like that! Well... she's not like that on 999 days out of 1000."

Now IC:

That wasn't judgment. That was an observation.

If you had set off a melta charge in your living quarters, and were troubled by the alarming and increasing amount of fire in the room, I would be similarly concerned for your well-being, for much the same reasons. It is not a matter of moral disapproval of fire, or of those who use it. Fire is fire.
OOC: You're right. She's a Daemon of change. Within the narrative, she changes wildly enough and frequently enough that inconsistency is her only constant.

When I say she wouldn't do that, I mean that she is never going to do that in this story, because it conflicts with the tone and because I don't want to write that. The story is not going to go there. I get what you mean, but that will be an unexplored possibility because this story is not going to include date rape.

IC: Well, you're being a bit...judgmental in your non-judgment, aren't you?

OoC:
I love Magician, you're all complaining way too much.
I was bringing up Magi's actions in a 'Hey, you're going somewhere with this, right?' manner, and nothing more.

IC:
Hey, so... I've been busy recently, had a Ganger try and steal my organs, (luckily I'm Built Different and broke all 3 of their arms,) currently getting patched up by this mute Abhuman girl with, well, she looks like a Noble's idea of a tasteful Felinid courtesan. Though she does have a lotta tails. That are very fluffy.

Currently high on what tastes like the Good Drugs, so I'm not really gonna comment on the whole Magi Daemon thing. But They're probably bad because you need to word things carefully and not have any stray thoughts, Open Minds and all that.

Also, Daemon Princess sounds Confused Horny God, not Bird-Mollusk.

Gonna go sleep off having my organs nearly scrambled.

OoC:

I was bringing up Magi's actions in a 'Hey, you're going somewhere with this, right?' manner, and nothing more.

IC:
Hey, so... I've been busy recently, had a Ganger try and steal my organs, (luckily I'm Built Different and broke all 3 of their arms,) currently getting patched up by this mute Abhuman girl with, well, she looks like a Noble's idea of a tasteful Felinid courtesan. Though she does have a lotta tails. That are very fluffy.

Currently high on what tastes like the Good Drugs, so I'm not really gonna comment on the whole Magi Daemon thing. But They're probably bad because you need to word things carefully and not have any stray thoughts, Open Minds and all that.

Gonna go sleep off having my organs nearly scrambled.
IC: Pardon me, "Bird-Mollusk"? I feel as though I'm missing something here. Are you thinking of the avian Greater Daemons of Tzeentch? Oh, and the good drugs are good! May you enjoy them sensibly and happily.

I hope that your dog friend and you forge a lasting friendship.

OOC: You're right. She's a Daemon of change. Within the narrative, she changes wildly enough and frequently enough that inconsistency is her only constant.

When I say she wouldn't do that, I mean that she is never going to do that in this story, because it conflicts with the tone and because I don't want to write that. The story is not going to go there. I get what you mean, but that will be an unexplored possibility because this story is not going to include date rape.
OOC:

Okay, to clarify, it's not going to contain specifically that thing, that much is obvious. If only because the Magician's involvement in the story isn't sexual-romantic in nature and I don't think anyone expected it to become so.

At the same time, she already unmade and remade one lover's brains in the backstory- this much we know.

The underlying rationale of injecting confidence into people so they'll blurt out things they really didn't want to say and start doing literal song and dance routines for their own good is... Well, let's just say the Magician can't credibly claim moral high ground within a worldview where doing that is wrong. I don't think there's that much moral difference between artificially injecting people with confidence and enthusiasm for new ideas without their consent via warpcraft and doing it via biochemistry.

IC: Well, you're being a bit...judgmental in your non-judgment, aren't you?
IC: I'm sorry, but I'm sincerely worried about you here.

Now, if you have means on hand of saying "no" to your guest and giving your lack of consent some authority, then my concerns are ill-founded.

IC: Surely, any of the four types of Anomalies can be feminine?

We've even encountered masculine-presenting entities of the Wrathful Anomaly, now and then. Is that unusual?

OOC:

Okay, to clarify, it's not going to contain specifically that thing, that much is obvious. If only because the Magician's involvement in the story isn't sexual-romantic in nature and I don't think anyone expected it to become so.

At the same time, she already unmade and remade one lover's brains in the backstory- this much we know.

The underlying rationale of injecting confidence into people so they'll blurt out things they really didn't want to say and start doing literal song and dance routines for their own good is... Well, let's just say the Magician can't credibly claim moral high ground within a worldview where doing that is wrong. I don't think there's that much moral difference between artificially injecting people with confidence and enthusiasm for new ideas without their consent via warpcraft and doing it via biochemistry.
OOC: Simon, I'm going to be honest, I'm really uncomfortable right now. For the record, the remaking was consensual and it lasted a night and no more. This was hashed out behind the scenes, and was probably going to become established down the line in canon. I understand the confusion, but I do feel the need to point it out.

I also don't want to continue with this conversation, truthfully. I feel like I've tried to signal that while everyone is allowed to have their own feelings on this character (and the Magician is a morally questionable one), people are interpreting her in ways that may not be consistent with canon, authorial intent, or tone.

Please, just stop trying to insist on this point. I'd really appreciate it. You're probably right, you know what you're talking about, and you're making good points, but I am going to clarify things and I feel like you're pushing on this point even when I've tried to show that I'm just not comfortable comparing space magic with roofies.

Again, I don't mean this to get mad at you. I know you love a good debate, and that's awesome, but I am asking you as an adult talking to another adult if we could set a boundary here.

I really do want to stress that you have been an amazing reader, and I always appreciate your input and thoughts. It's just that pushing on this particular topic is just not something I feel like I would be comfortable continuing to talk about.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm really not.

Anyway, thank you so much for your thoughts, your feedback, and your insight, and I really do appreciate that from you. This is just one topic I don't think I have the ability to really continue to address.

OOC:

OOC: River told you that's not what's being explored here. I'm not sure how much clearer she needs to make the request to drop it, but.

Also there's a difference between 'didn't want to say' and 'weren't sure they had the confidence to say'. Now, admittedly, that's a fine line. One down to author portrayal and reader judgement. Given that the author's saying that line's firmly in the latter park, maybe trust them? Alternatively, if you're trying so say 'for me it fell into the former category', maybe rephrase things so you're actually saying that, and explain what would help make it more the latter category?

I'd also say that from what I've talked about with River, that backstory situation is a lot more complex than she presented it as here. She did not remake said lover's brain permanently without permission, or ego death the lover. This was not a compleation type move.

OOC: Simon, I'm going to be honest, I'm really uncomfortable right now. For the record, the remaking was consensual and it lasted a night and no more. This was hashed out behind the scenes, and was probably going to become established down the line in canon. I understand the confusion, but I do feel the need to point it out.
Okay. I apologize.

I think you somewhat misunderstood what I was trying to get at, but it really doesn't matter under the circumstances.

Dropping entire line of conversation and all future lines of conversation regarding daemons in general and anything involving the question and boundaries of consent.

OOC: River told you that's not what's being explored here. I'm not sure how much clearer she needs to make the request to drop it, but.

Also there's a difference between 'didn't want to say' and 'weren't sure they had the confidence to say'. Now, admittedly, that's a fine line. One down to author portrayal and reader judgement. Given that the author's saying that line's firmly in the latter park, maybe trust them? Alternatively, if you're trying so say 'for me it fell into the former category', maybe rephrase things so you're actually saying that, and explain what would help make it more the latter category?
As I am promising not discuss this general category of thing, no comment.

I'd also say that from what I've talked about with River, that backstory situation is a lot more complex than she presented it as here. She did not remake said lover's brain permanently without permission, or ego death the lover. This was not a compleation type move.
Also no comment. Same reason.

Okay. I apologize.

I think you somewhat misunderstood what I was trying to get at, but it really doesn't matter under the circumstances.

Dropping entire line of conversation and all future lines of conversation regarding daemons in general and anything involving the question and boundaries of consent.

As I am promising not discuss this general category of thing, no comment.

Also no comment. Same reason.
OOC: Hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings!

As consolation, here's a work of mine I don't remember if you've read that deals with consent, and a webstory with similar themes, along with a second webstory in that same universe and a third. I didn't write the latter three.

Again, I'm genuinely sorry I was shitty, and I don't think you need to be quite so broad in finding topics not to talk about. If you want some help knowing where the line is, it might be a good idea to just give your honest, valued feedback, and when you get a bit of pushback that might be time to either take a breather and come back later after having a think about whether you really need to get into that discussion. Sometimes you might need to, and sometimes you might not.

So, don't worry, you're doing great.

No need to make any big promises, this is just one very specific topic (The Magician as a character's relationship to concepts of consent on an individual level, as explored up to this point in the fic) that we might want to change course from for now. Nothing to worry about.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

[Fallout] American Intoxicants Mature

This is the story of a monster from the Enclave, what made her who she is, the harm she did to so many, and her impossible quest to be good. The question is who she'll hurt and how they'll deal with it before it all comes crashing down. Please see the extensive content warning in the first post...

Wellness Check, a HDG fic that should have a lot of what you're talking about explored very well: Show Chapter | Archive of Our Own

For A Better Universe, a fic in the same universe as the above with a broader and more philosophical focus, to read after the former: Show Chapter | Archive of Our Own

In Sleep We Fell, a HDG story about identity death without any sex scenes except at the very (easily skippable) end: In Sleep We Fell - Fluxom - Human Domestication Guide [Archive of Our Own]

Fair warning, the latter two fics do touch on some kinky themes (as befits their setting, which is quite kinky) so if that isn't your thing I'm warning you ahead of time. You certainly don't have to read them! I just think they explore the concepts you're interested in in ways you might find enjoyable. :3

Last edited:
OOC: Hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings.
My feelings are not hurt. I am not accusing you of enshittening anything.

I am simply promising not to discuss that particular topic because I fully expect to bump into things I do not, as a matter of principle, want to bump into. Ever.

...and when you get a bit of pushback that might be time to either take a breather and come back later after having a think about whether you really need to get into that discussion. Sometimes you might need to, and sometimes you might not.
Knowing when you are getting pushback because maybe you shouldn't be bringing the subject up, and when you are getting pushback because you were misunderstood and explaining yourself will resolve the matter, is hard. At least for me.

Me promsing not to discuss that particular topic is me promising to not need to somehow know that. Which is the only way I can, in good conscience, seriously expect to not push against pushback when I really shouldn't. If other people are truly not comfortable discussing a subject, I had best not discuss the subject, and I had best not play around in places adjacent to the subject.

Maybe other people don't say out loud "okay, I won't talk about that then," in similar situations. Maybe that took you aback. Sorry. But... the way I see it, that is tacitly what is being promised. There is little point in drawing boundaries if the people you draw them for don't actually, seriously intend to color inside the lines going forward. So I try to take that seriously.

Last edited:
IC:
Pardon me, "Bird-Mollusk"?
Ya know, Red Lamb, Green Fern, Purple Prince(ss), and Blue Bird-Mollusk.

The 4 flavors of Demon.

(-Note: Don't write responses while High, things get strange.)

Anyways, The Blue ones come in either Bird or Mollusk flavors, more often than not, so I just call them Bird-Mollusks.

Surely, any of the four types of Anomalies can be feminine?
It depends on cultural beliefs and the ideas you use to summon them. Most Humans have distinct Male and Female roles, with Males generally having more physical/dangerous work, while Females have the less dangerous and physically demanding work.

So Demons trend toward fitting those standards. Now, this obviously means a more Matriarchal society would trend towards Demons being Feminine. Insectoids having Queen/Drone/Worker splits, and so on.

I would need more info on your societal beliefs and such, but you would probably be able to figure it out given the info I've provided.

Though, do note, as with everything involving Warp Denizens, these are more... Guidelines than Rules.

Anyways, sounds like something's happening up front, I'm going to go check it out.

Last edited:
Codex: Chaos Daemons, Part 2
OOC:

Got this update done much quicker than expected.

IC:

Inquisitor Thrax cleared his throat and dictated the last section of his report.

'The mutants have been eradicated throughout the Chapter. The tainted command personnel have been slain. The Chapter Master chose to take his own life rather than face his deserved fate. The creatures he summoned have been banished, or have returned to the warp. Significant cerebral reconditioning continues amongst those Adeptus Astartes deemed salvageable and penitent duties will be assigned in due course.'

'For now the most important consideration is that the unfortunate lapses of the last months have been cleansed. This heresy is ended and the warp entities banished back to the immaterium. Full casualty reports are attacked. I can now confidently claim that the reformed Grey Slayers Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes will prove more loyal in the future, as they did in the past'

'Praise to the God-Emperor and the Holy Ordos!'

'Thrax, Inquisitor Ordinary, this day of etcetera etcetera. Make a good copy and then return so that I may seal the dispatch.'

'Yes, Lord Inquisitor.'

Thrax sat down at the former chapter Master's desk. He had a mind to keep it for his own. The workmanship had a certain naive charm. The inlay work was particularly fine for a backward world. Such intricate patterns, such a pleasing arrangement of woods and techplastics. One could almost beleve that it all meant something. His finger idly traced across the surface, following the line of a swirl and loop...

In the Warp something stirred. Its true name had almost been used. Soon it would be spoken, and the way opened. The summoning was happening...The Chapter Master had been weak, a fool, but the power he had tapped! Properly used, in the service of the Emperor, could it not make him the best, the greatest, of all the Inquisitors? His finger moved across the desktop again, following the inlay...

Soon... Soon...

(The Magician: Oh, how fun! Always nice to see something exciting happen, wouldn't ya say? Oh, and it's interesting how murder is fine but appreciating fine woodworking's a problem, though, hoss? Silly humans.)

(Sister Vandire: Blessed hopes and ancient ages / Stories told by desperate sages / Pain once thought to be denial / Hope to spare all the while / Give to me your hopeless daughters / Against the tide, begin the slaughter / of the woman I thought I knew...)

(Vior Or'es: Please, just go away!)

(Ashlee Viola: There ain't her under there, is there?)

(The Magician: Oh, no, no, no! She's mine! We're all having fun!)

(Sister Vandire: Hopeless, hoping, desperate battle / Continuing to lyrically prattle / Hail the nightmare, against the Holy / Hail the Princess, embrace her wholly / Damn the Blessed, they have lied!)

(Vior Or'es: What are you doing to her?)

By Ynnead, just stop!

(Sister Vandire: God and ancients, hear my call / I am ready to embrace my Fall!)

Blood and banquets / Faithless hope / Dancing on a tightened rope / Hear me, Sister, your words are true!

(Ashlee Viola: Sinking faster, sinking surely / Shed the eagle prematurely / Come to her and damn the Light!)

Please do not put up a fight!

Those Humans who know something of Chaos speak of the Long War, the conflict that has raged between loyalists and Chaos-worshipping traitors since the dark days of the Horus Heresy. Yet those of still greater insight understand there is a more fundamental battle being fought, a war for spiritual sanctity and Humanity's survival in which even the most elite warriors and draconian measures are barely sufficient to hold damnation at bay.

(The Magician: Humans, humans, humans! There are so many other species in the galaxy, why is this Codex so obsessed with humanity? This is the Daemon's codex! Tell the very lovely audience about the Daemons, not the Ordo Malleus! C'mon, stick to your topic, chief!)

...I do believe it's intended for a human audience.

(The Magician: Eh, still doesn't vibe with me. Oh, and "barely sufficient"? Ha! They're a little doomed, wouldn't ya say? Besides, what's "spiritual sanctity" worth? That and ten crowns'll get you a cheap dinner!)

Locked away in rune-sealed and secret vaults lie records that tell of the Imperium's darkest hour, when Warmaster Horus fell to the temptations of the Dark Gods. His corruption began a civil war that brought Humanity to its knees, unleashed traitor hordes and daemon legions upon countless worlds, and saw the Ruinous Powers come as close to victory over realspace as they have in aeons. This apocalyptic conflict also saw the Emperor consigned to the life-preserving technologies of the Golden Throne. This, more than anything else, impressed upon the surviving Imperial leadership that the threat of Chaos demanded nought but the most drastic measures to combat.

This is not an accurate take on the Horus Heresy, or whatever one prefers to call it. It was certainly more complex than a battle of good and evil. That said, I don't know much about it, so I suppose I will have to ask Racilla. I must admit as well that I do not know the specific working term.

Both the Inquisitorial Ordo Malleus and the Grey Knights Chapter knew their genesis in that dark time. Since their inception, these organisations have fought the insidious influence of daemons and striven to stave off the spiritual collapse of the Imperium. Yet theirs is a war whose cost long ago spiralled too high to tally, and in which there is scant hope of final victory. The Ordo Malleus is amongst the greatest of the Holy Ordos of the Inquisition, that shadowy body that fights hidden wars against the greatest threats to Mankind. Its Inquisitors - who often go by the title of daemon hunter - wield absolute authority to requisition armies, go where they please, access forbidden lore and employ any weapon they believe will bring them victory over their foes. The Grey Knights, meanwhile, are an entire Chapter of Space Marines trained and equipped to battle daemons. Silver-clad psychic templars all, they are entrusted with arcane lore and incredible weaponry that allows them to take the fight to the diabolic and the infernal.

Erm, may the Old Gods help us and protect us.

(Sister Vandire: I don't like the daemon-hunters. They're some of the more trigger-happy Inquisitors, generally speaking.)

(Ashlee Viola: This passage still reads like propaganda.)

(Sister Vandire: Hail my Mother, hail the Goddess / Hail the Princess who was promised / Hail the crime that walked like a man! / Hail the infernal, unholy plan...)

Every day, across the vast span of the Emperor's realm, amidst the uncountable masses of Humanity, daemonic forces are at work. Whispers and promises from beyond the veil thread themselves through the pliant minds of the vulnerable, the jaded and the despairing. Human populations and rogue psykers turn against the Imperium at the urging of supernatural corrupters. Full-blown daemonic incursions erupt upon worlds that appeared loyal right up until the day of their own personal apocalypse. Warp storms rage. Infernal legions spill from their depths to slaughter their way across the stars. In the face of such an omnipresent threat, the Ordo Malleus and Grey Knights must strive to counter those dangers they deem greatest.

I find it so frustrating that even this Codex obstensibly about Daemons is full of this infuriating Imperial propaganda!

(The Magician: Not scared, are we? Ha! Figures.)

(Vior Or'es: This isn't right! None of this is right! I am not comfortable right now!)

Rather than risk such wholesale corruption, many Inquisitors would rather exterminate entire planetary populations and liquidate regiment after regiment of Astra Militarum soldiery after the slightest contact with daemonic forces. Even Space Marines are not beyond such purges. However, they are so precious to the embattled Imperium that - where possible - intensive psycho-reindoctrination isused to scour knowledge of daemons from their minds and reconsecrate their souls. So it is that much of Humanity believe the heretical worshippers of the Dark Gods to be deluded lunatics, and any manifestations of their patently false beliefs to be chance mutation, or the work of xenos or witches.

I...I think we've established that "psycho-indoctrination" is overstated, thanks to my friend's tireless debunkingandbloodanddeathandslaughterandhopeandwisdomandchaosandstarryretributionandloveand lossand creativity

(Vior Or'es: Ynathe?)

Get out of my mind!

Secrecy and inexplicable acts of genocide further serve to sow mistrust and acrimony amongst the disparate Imperial organisations, not to mention seeing countless souls condemned to death where they might otherwise have lived. And now, as the Great Rift splits the heavens and the ghastly truth becomes ever harder to conceal, so ever more frantic and bloody measures are required to maintain the Imperium's greatest lie.

(Antimony: It isn't a very well-maintained lie, truthfully. Everyone knows there's something off about the official story.)

(Sister Vandire: Courage gained through inconsistent jumbles / bodies bending by the double / pray to the four who did not lie! / Mother, Princess, let my past die!)

(Vior Or'es: Safeword! I am not comfortable, and I am using my safeword! I would like to end the scene! My play-acting fear for Miss Vandire has become actual fear!)

(The Magician: Well, of course. Is everything OK, darling?)

(Vior Or'es: I understand that this was all just a way to let Miss Vandire process her feelings of discomfort with her place in the Adepta Sororitas without feeling as though she was betraying her god, but this is all getting very scary and I would like it to stop. I know Ynathe is having fun due to her esoteric tastes, and Ashlee and the others are interested to try something new or just helping Miss Vandire, but I am not interested and do not want to continue.)

(The Magician: Well, you did use your safeword. Vior, how can I make you feel more comfortable in the future? No more mental fun.)

(Sister Vandire: Thanks, by the way. I appreciate you helping me with this. I...I said it. That was me. It was a me without inhibitions, but it was me. You all did a great job playing along, I really felt like you all were experiencing existential terror.)

(Vior Or'es: Even though it was planned ahead of time and such, it was a genuinely shocking sight. I understand that my disconnect from the Immaterium and Ynathe's experience as an Eldar dealing with psychic intrusions helped make it safer, and that the others let you into their minds through telepathic agreement, but it was nonetheless a scary experience. Please do not alter people's minds around me, I have learned I find it scary and unsettling.)

(The Magician: Of course, of course, of course! I promise I won't! I can tell that forced mental intrusion would be very damaging, and not good for any sophont in most cases! Even this entirely voluntary thingamajig we did seemed to really spook ya!)

(Vior Or'es: I am a little spooked. I am going to get my stuffed Kroot and hug him.)

(The Magician: So, yeah, glad we established the safeword. Which was, uh, "Safeword". Go figure. So, Felicity, Lissy, Frisky, how do ya feel?)

(Felicity Vandire: I...I think I just realized I don't want to be a Sister of Battle. I love the Emperor, genuinely, but...I don't think I can keep fighting for Him. I need to love me, not just him. I want to be with people, not just fight them. I can't devote my life to war, not when all my friends have shown me there's so much more in the galaxy. Thank you, Magician. Thank you for helping me be honest with myself.)

(The Magician: I wouldn't've done it if you hadn't asked, ha!)

(Felicity Vandire: I think I'd like to see if I can transfer to a civilian job in the Ecclesiarchy.)

(The Magician: Well, uh, if ya need anything, feel free to ask!)

(Felicity Vandire: You're pretty good at acting like a spooky, possessing monster.)

(The Magician: I am a spooky, possessing monster! I just know that possessing and controlling without permission does damage, which is, you know, bad! I was playing some of the evil up, though! All part of the show!)

Khorne is known across the galaxy as the Blood God, the Lord of Battles and the Great Butcher, amongst countless other titles. He is the patron of warriors - whether they worship him consciously or not - and the wellspring of all conflict, hatred and bloodshed. The daemons of Khorne are embodiments of his murderous rage and raw martial might.

Well, Khorne is the god of Courage, Heroism, Valor, Vengeance, Might, and Honor as well, but stars forbid the Imperium admit he's anything but a mindless murderer, or that many of them worship his darker side unknowingly.

There can be no mistaking Khorne's daemons as they surge from the warp to do battle. Furious manifestations of living brass, corded muscle and bloodied bone, they embody al the Blood God's boundless rage and his unending need for battle.

(The Magician: You will never know a daemon more willing to do battle for a righteous cause, but, well, we're dealing in oversimplifications, here!)

For eight hundred years, the fortress world of Tartora stood watch over the Carmynus Sub-sector. So heavily fortified was Tartora, so massively garrisoned and replete with orbital lasers and deep-void missile silos, that its castellans had long claimed it was unconquerable. Yet when the Orks of Waaagh! Gozmod invaded, Tartora's very might proved its undoing.

(Vior Or'es: My stuffed Kroot says he is tired of hearing about the Imperium. He also says he wants Daemon cuddles.)

(The Magician: Well, uh, I'm all for aftercare, but how would I go about that?)

(Vior Or'es: The knowledge you desire them is good enough for me. On another note, Tartora was indeed quite bloody and chaotic, yes.)

As blazing brass skulls the size of dropships trailed flames across the heavens, the Bloodthirster Agoth'Kar led its daemon legions into battle beneath a driving carmine downpour. Ork invaders and Human defenders alike fought and died beneath the blades of the brazen host, or else fled in mindless terror only to be transmuted into statues of brass and bone as punishment for their cowardice.

(The Magician: Now, isn't that beautiful?)

Yes, truly artful.

(Felicity Vandire: It seems kinda fucked up.)

(The Magician: It is, but fucked up things are a part of life! Ya try not to make them happen, but when they do, well, the best thing to do is enjoy the show, huh? Besides, it's all part of the plan!)

An ever-shifting multiplicity of concepts are considered to fall within the purview of Tzeentch, as is only appropriate for this strange Chaos God. Sorcery; fate; mutation; trickery; prophecy; infinite knowledge; boundless change - Tzeentch is said to preside over all of these things and more.

(The Magician: Oh, this is more than true! Boy, is this stuff fun!)

"Strange" does seem like a value judgment.

(Vior Or'es: My stuffed Kroot, Kra'to, says that he likes warm hugs and soft kisses.)

Erm, that's good? Are you...Are you alright?

(Vior Or'es: I am a trained engineer and functioning adult of my species, I am therefore allowed to have childish affectations from time to time.)

(The Magician: Very true! Anything for too long gets boring!)

There are many reasons that mortals fall to the whispered temptations of Tzeentch. Within dank underhive slums, bond - sworn to sweltering manufactorums, or mutated since birth and forced to hide amongst a society that reviles them, Humans are robbed of power over their own lives. They long for something, anything, to change. Gradually that longing becomes a desire for the power to force that change to manifest. Perhaps these desires are altruistic, the wish to feed one's starving family, or the honest need to change the hand fate has dealt. Other motivations are more selfish and spiteful: a bullying overseer with al the power, who needs to be taught a lesson; a desire to gain the insights needed in order to ensure some criminal enterprise succeeds. All such fervent wishes for change provide opportunities that Tzeentch's daemons exploit. In the most psychically empowered of minds, these wants may be enough to open the way for entities to flow from the warp. In others, they are sufficient to see lost individuals hear and obey the voices that whisper through their dreams, or to steer them into dangerous cults that soon see souls pledged to the Changer of the Ways.

(The Magician: Well, there's nothing wrong with wanting power for the powerless! Besides, all schemes are good schemes! It's a big game of poker, really!)

...I suppose it is true that giving the powerless agency could be considered a noble aim.

Learned scholars and powerful sorcerers wish always for more knowledge, greater understanding, the unlocking of forbidden lore; no matter how good or evil their intentions might be, this thirst for insight leads them into the clutches of Tzeentch. Generals and priests, Inquisitors and prophets alike, al have sought proscribed lore and thus been ensnared by the Architect of Fate.
All those who plot, who trick their rivals or ambush their enemies, all who prize knowledge and understanding over brute force, who inscribe or study arcane lore - all are worshipping.

(The Magician: Trickery's overrated. Most of what we do are good and honest deals! If there's a bit of planning and scheming involved, well, that's standard, but you don't need to be a fool to approach us! You just need to have a goal in mind!)

(Vior Or'es: How silly. "Do not seek to improve yourself, or arm yourself so that you might improve the lives of others, or you will fall into Tzeentch's clutches". What a transparent attempt to justify a willfully ignorant state.)

...[these] boons are not freely given. It is said of Tzeentch that he is the Great Conspirator, the master of enigmatic and ineffable plans of such complexity and galaxy-spanning scope that none but he himself can comprehend them. Every one of his mortal servants, no matter how powerful they might think themselves, is but another puppet.

(The Magician: Ugh, this is so boring. Everyone's a puppet to fate in the end. It's not like that really matters! Besides, honest chaos is bettter than the lie of patriotism, if the violence needs to go down!)

...I suppose.

There are those who believe that Tzeentch's realm within the warp manifests as a vast crystal labyrinth through which his daemonic legions prowl. Supposedly replete with bizarre libraries, weird mirror-realms and fractal mazes of infernal madness, this convoluted infinity is said to dance with the fires of change and to grow and branch ever further as Tzeentch's power swells. Within the Ordo Malleus archives there are indeed numerous references to extrusions from just such a labyrinth. It is recorded tearing through the skin of realspace during especially apocalyptic incursions by the daemons of Tzeentch. Dark rumour and recorded visions insist that somewhere in the labyrinth's uttermost depths lies the Impossible Fortress, wherein Tzeentch lurks and plots within his Hidden Library. Whatever the truth, entire worlds and vast regions of space have been swallowed into the ever-changing and beautiful mass of the crystal labyrinth, or left impossibly altered after its tunnels retreat back to the warp. Meanwhile, legions upon legions of daemons have been seen to spill from within its shimmering depths.

(Vior Or'es: Protect me, Kra'to!)

(The Magician: Imagine if he could talk!)

(Vior Or'es: I do not want to do so!)

(The Magician: Gotcha! Won't make that a thing!)

The ancient hive world of Garmesh was once the beating heart of the Mathenda Sub-sector. Shifting trade routes, depleted resources and a string of incompetent planetary governors drawn from the noble Clan Habeyl saw the world decline until its populace languished in poverty, while their indolent rulers hid in their spire fortresses and ignored their people's plight.
It was amidst a climate of resentment towards Governor Habeyl VII that nine individuals formed a cabal in the underhive. Each had experienced the awakening of psychic abilities after the coming of the Great Rift, and had been drawn together by visions in their dreams. Believing the God-Emperor had appointed them champions, they pooled their powers as the dream voice bade them, and beseeched their master's aid. To their shock, a winged beingofblazing light manifested in their midst. This entity offered them its blessings, magnifying their psychic abilities ninefold. It told them they had the power to change their world beyond recognition, and that — if they employed their newfound powers to the full - al would know their blessings. Blinded by faith and hope, the nine psykers named themselves the Heralds of Change, and set about mounting a sorcerous insurrection.

The Heralds' magnified powers allowed them to read thoughts and enslave the wills of their unwitting foes. They could glimpse the future, conjure change sin the fabric of reality and unleash upon their oppressors the curse of mutation...the fires of rebellion had become an inferno..As one, the nine Heralds were consumed by raging pillars of warpfire. The flames raced between their blazing bodies before erupting into a nine-sided warp gate. Out from that inferno spilled the daemon legions of Tzeentch. They brought anarchy and madness with them...Gravity; time; relative position and causality - all melted away like ice before a flame...

(The Magician: Now that's what I call a justified revolution!)

(Felicity Vandire: It sounds like a psychotic break.)

(The Magician: Yeah? What's your point?)

(Vior Or'es: Magician, can you tell Kra'to a bedtime story? It makes him and I feel cozy to hear it.)

(The Magician: Of course. Once, there was a very smart little T'au! She was very brave, and deserved a lot of love! She bravely faced down a scary Daemon Princess along with her best stuffed friend, and she was so brave that that scary Daemon was very impressed at the brave little T'au!)

(Vior Or'es: Happy giggles.)

(Felicity Vandire: Did...did she just type the words "happy giggles"?)

(Vior Or'es: I did!)

(The Magician: So, uh, how's everyone feeling. Did I overdo it?)

(Felicity Vandire: A little bit, but I think we're all good. It was just an intense scene, even if it was planned out ahead of time and we were playing along.)

(The Magician: Well, I'm proud of you all for trying something new, and I'm glad Felicity found out something new about herself! Vior, if you ever need anything now or later, feel free to ask!)

(Vior Or'es: Right now, I think I simply need consistency and a comforting environment, thank you.)

Last edited:
IC:
Right now, I think I simply need consistency and a comforting environment, thank you.
Huh.

Magi's a nice Demon.

Neat.

Anyways, turns out Three Arms was more mutated than I thought, as they had gone and gotten friends to try and get 'revenge', after they failed to mug me.

I might not have been in full kit, but that just made things a bit more interesting. Got to beat a Ganger with a larger, more dense, Ganger.

Gonna need to get my boots repaired though, one of them had acid blood or something. Though that made getting the location of the rest of the Gangers from Three Arms that much easier, mono-daggers are such useful tools.

Currently rangling up some buddies to go have a nice, polite discussion with whoever the hell is leading this gang, to let them know how the Guard feels about Criminals harassing His Citizens.

IC:

Huh.

Magi's a nice Demon.

Neat.

Anyways, turns out Three Arms was more mutated than I thought, as they had gone and gotten friends to try and get 'revenge', after they failed to mug me.

I might not have been in full kit, but that just made things a bit more interesting. Got to beat a Ganger with a larger, more dense, Ganger.

Gonna need to get my boots repaired though, one of them had acid blood or something. Though that made getting the location of the rest of the Gangers from Three Arms that much easier, mono-daggers are such useful tools.

Currently rangling up some buddies to go have a nice, polite discussion with whoever the hell is leading this gang, to let them know how the Guard feels about Criminals harassing His Citizens.
Oh, yes, of course. Our friend T wouldn't want us to interact with anyone who might genuinely hurt us! Though the Magician may have an...unusual way of viewing and interacting with the world, she is ultimately respectful of boundaries in these sorts of cases and many others. At any rate, who exactly is "Three Arms"? I am given to assume that they would have, in fact, three arms, but I cannot quite know if that is in fact an ironic name for a Terran who only has one arm.

Terran humor often baffles me in its dark shades. Are you fighting gangers? Does the Imperial Military typically do that?

Oh, and I am sure the leader will comply. After all, one can get more with a kind word and an artillery strike than just a kind word.

OoC:
Italics are Guardsmen, Dashes are System replay, Asterisks are System Notifications, Bold are Gangers,

Also, first attempt in the thread of actually writing something, so... here it goes!

Intentional edit: This took a while, I suck at actually writing combat or dialog.

IC:
- Begining Audio Transcript -

Alright, squad, we're here to put down a gang that's been causing a ruckus in the area. Locals have been kind to us, and the Guard watches for its friends.

Best Intel is that it's primarily Mutants and Convicts, using primarily makeshift melee weapons, though the Elites all have some form of Autogun. Treat this like a standard Hive Sweep and you should be fine.

- Skipping Irrelevant Data -

We're at location, First Squad will kick in the doors while Second and Third Squad lead containment, make sure none escape without facing the Emperor's Judgement.

- Skipping Irrelevant Data -

Looks like a standard Reinforced Doorway. 1-4, go check the door.

it's locked, sir.

Alright, stack up and get ready to breach.
*Plasma Discharge Detected*
Go go go!

- End of Data Recording-
At any rate, who exactly is "Three Arms"?
Some poor Mutant with a third arm, didn't care to get their name before, and power mauls tend to not leave much when beating someone to death.

Are you fighting gangers? Does the Imperial Military typically do that?
It's not really a fight, given that we're better trained, better fed, better armed, and our armor protects us from their weapons (Generally.)

And Guardsmen are sometimes called in to handle large gangs or particularly significant infestations, but it's not really something we do too often, as local Enforcers or PDF can generally handle things.

IC: Well! The Magician (if that is your chosen soubriquet?) certainly is a servant of the Changer, given everything above.

To provide a more academic perspective, if that is wanted - something I've noticed Imperials often fail to mention (though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place) is the inherently symbiotic referential loop that defines relations between full-time denizens of the Immaterial and Material planes. Even those 'daemons' who aren't mortal consciousness divested of flesh and other desires are still shaped by the collective thoughts of psychic species, and then such things obviously create new emotions and thoughts when they manifest in realspace, birthing more of them within the Immaterial. Given this, it's hardly surprising that the worst parts of the Imperium often encounter such unpleasant responses from the Immaterial - similar to if a city was constantly pouring pollution into another city's water supply, war might follow, perhaps. Though - no that's not quite right either. Perhaps my distant academic perspective... it's more that the strong negative feelings 'around' such a site will attract attention, though the nature of that attention will vary. Oppression is, psychically, quite loud, after all.

I also find it interesting that denizens are so often framed as inherently opposed to the Emperor - I could be wrong, but isn't his presence in the Immaterial a part of the Imperium's worship of him? It seems strange to frame him as anathema when he is, at least currently, somewhat similar in being to the 'daemons' that are hated and feared.

Some poor Mutant with a third arm, didn't care to get their name before, and power mauls tend to not leave much when beating someone to death.

It's not really a fight, given that we're better trained, better fed, better armed, and our armor protects us from their weapons (Generally.)

And Guardsmen are sometimes called in to handle large gangs or particularly significant infestations, but it's not really something we do too often, as local Enforcers or PDF can generally handle things.

...Erm, how...exciting, I suppose. Quite the bit of...hopefully necessary violence going on there. At any rate, what was so significant about this invasion?

IC: Well! The Magician (if that is your chosen soubriquet?) certainly is a servant of the Changer, given everything above.

To provide a more academic perspective, if that is wanted - something I've noticed Imperials often fail to mention (though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place) is the inherently symbiotic referential loop that defines relations between full-time denizens of the Immaterial and Material planes. Even those 'daemons' who aren't mortal consciousness divested of flesh and other desires are still shaped by the collective thoughts of psychic species, and then such things obviously create new emotions and thoughts when they manifest in realspace, birthing more of them within the Immaterial. Given this, it's hardly surprising that the worst parts of the Imperium often encounter such unpleasant responses from the Immaterial - similar to if a city was constantly pouring pollution into another city's water supply, war might follow, perhaps. Though - no that's not quite right either. Perhaps my distant academic perspective... it's more that the strong negative feelings 'around' such a site will attract attention, though the nature of that attention will vary. Oppression is, psychically, quite loud, after all.

I also find it interesting that denizens are so often framed as inherently opposed to the Emperor - I could be wrong, but isn't his presence in the Immaterial a part of the Imperium's worship of him? It seems strange to frame him as anathema when he is, at least currently, somewhat similar in being to the 'daemons' that are hated and feared.
(The Magician: Oh, well, look at this! Sounds like we're gonna have a real show tonight! And yeah, I change lots of things! Minds, bodies, hearts, lives, toys, things, worlds, time, space, numbers, letters, and clothes! Then again, I usually keep to a pretty distinct style, you know! Your point-of-view is mostly right, it's just a bit too rational! We're not rational beings! If it's predictable, it's...Well, Khornate or Slaaneshi or Nurglean, but even them can be non-rational to most normal sophonts! Still, you've got the idea, you just can't force it into a single system every time, or even most times! Must suck to be a demonologist, hey, sis? Bro?)

At any rate, what was so significant about this invasion?
Not an Invasion, as that would imply it was an actual fight. Guy tried to mug me, got their ass beat, and then tried to threaten the lady that helped me out in order to get a second chance at killing me. The Guard looks after its friends. Plus, well, it's a decent chance for some hands on training for the Recruits.

Though I'm like, 20% sure my Plasma Pistol is possessed by something. It definitely hit harder than it used to.

Not an Invasion, as that would imply it was an actual fight. Guy tried to mug me, got their ass beat, and then tried to threaten the lady that helped me out in order to get a second chance at killing me. The Guard looks after its friends. Plus, well, it's a decent chance for some hands on training for the Recruits.

Though I'm like, 20% sure my Plasma Pistol is possessed by something. It definitely hit harder than it used to.
Erm, it seems exceptionally foolish to try and mug a Guardsman. Oh, and what might your weapon be possessed by? If you wish for me to ask the Magician, I can bring her on.

Erm, it seems exceptionally foolish to try and mug a Guardsman.
Yeah, though in their defense, I was in the city with my Maul packed beside some trade scrip, the couple of doodads I had picked up, and a decent chunk of food.

I probably looked like an ex-Enforcer or Factory Menial than anything else. Not that my appearance made trying to mug someone physically larger than you with nothing but a couple of knives.

Oh, and what might your weapon be possessed by? If you wish for me to ask the Magician, I can bring her on.
Sure, not sure if it actually js anything, but the Magos didn't notice any change in its performance, which is strange.

OoC:
Couldn't decide which of the 4 I wanted to have show up as a surprise, so I'll let you choose.

Yeah, though in their defense, I was in the city with my Maul packed beside some trade scrip, the couple of doodads I had picked up, and a decent chunk of food.

I probably looked like an ex-Enforcer or Factory Menial than anything else. Not that my appearance made trying to mug someone physically larger than you with nothing but a couple of knives.

Sure, not sure if it actually js anything, but the Magos didn't notice any change in its performance, which is strange.

OoC:
Couldn't decide which of the 4 I wanted to have show up as a surprise, so I'll let you choose.
OOC: Which of the four Chaos Gods for the Daemon possessing the weapon to be affiliated with?

IC: I suppose that makes sense enough. I admit that I may not understand how...the underprivileged tend to live their lives. Really, most of us are privileged. I'm old money, Vior Or'es comes from a debatable utopia, Ashlee was born with a brilliant intellect and the opportunities to become a scientist, Felicity Vandire grew up in relative peace and prosperity in her portion of the Imperium, the Magician is beyond privileged, and Antimony is...Antimony.

It's ironic, some of the people here have shown us how dark and grim the galaxy can be.

(Felicity Vandire: I'm not sure if you're using that word right.)

OoC:
OOC: Which of the four Chaos Gods for the Daemon possessing the weapon to be affiliated with?
Yeah. I personally subscribe to the 'Shattered God' theorem, so I'll just say the 4 for describing a generic Warp Demon. But, seeing as I'm not writing this, I don't want to IC make calls like that.

IC:
It's ironic, some of the people here have shown us how dark and grim the galaxy can be.
History is a Tragedy, the Future is a Comedy, and the Present is a Farce, according to a particularly drunk psyker I met.

Its our job to make things a little better, in our little corner of the galaxy.

OoC:

Yeah. I personally subscribe to the 'Shattered God' theorem, so I'll just say the 4 for describing a generic Warp Demon. But, seeing as I'm not writing this, I don't want to IC make calls like that.

IC:

History is a Tragedy, the Future is a Comedy, and the Present is a Farce, according to a particularly drunk psyker I met.

Its our job to make things a little better, in our little corner of the galaxy.
(The Magician: Looking into, well, the usual channels, it seems like that weapon has a daemonette of Slaanesh in it! Lovely people, daemonettes, though they can be a real handful! I say just make some popcorn and watch the fireworks!)

Yes, it is very much our job to do so. I'd like to think my sanguine performances do just that.

Back