Let's Read: Warhammer 40,000 Codexes and Star Wars RPG Sourcebooks (Dark Eldar Reviewer)

Codex: Chaos Daemons, Part 3
You are ignoring content by this member.
Nurgle is the Plague God. He is most often depicted as a hulking and leprous abomination, a mountain of disease-bloated flesh whose pustulant innards spill through his splitting hide amidst a miasma of rot and droning plague flies. Nurgle, they say, hunches over his noxious cauldron and delights in brewing nightmarish contagions to unleash upon the peoples of realspace.

...Hm. Even I know that Nurgle is the god of all life, and that while plagues are commonly used as a tool of war, he is as much an embodiment of environmentally-healthy life as destructive life. So, no, a leper monstrosity is not how Nurgle is typically depicted. He is a laughing, portly man-god hunching over the evolutionary cauldron.

(Ashlee Viola: Wonder how he fits in with the Nids.)

Yet disease, decay, entropy and the despair they bring are fundamental facts for populations and armies across the galaxy. On world after world, crops fail, food spoils and sickness and starvation follow. Overcrowded field hospitals are hotbeds for swift-spreading infections and feeding grounds for rapacious parasites. Languishing in foetid slums, pinned down and wounded amidst the contaminating filth of no man's land, ravaged by noxious bioweapons and alien phages, souls beyond number confront the inescapable factof their own mortality. Some cling to faith and hope until the last. Most pass beyond the limits of their endurance and cry out in their delirium for salvation no matter its source. Whether they suffer until the end or their will gives way, they all empower the Plague God. It is said by the worshippers of Nurgle that — for al the cruelties he heaps upon realspace — he is at heart a fond- hearted and grandfatherly deity. There are few whose supplication he would refuse, nor deny his rancid gifts. Thus, the worshippers of Nurgle become willing hosts for all his most grotesque contagions precisely in order to survive their touch. They take into themselves that which would otherwise be their destroyer, becoming one with it, and glorying in the unholy vitality and resilience such a gruesome bargain grants. Each mortal who makes this pact becomes another vector for Nurgle's supernatural contagions, and another catalyst to furthering the Grandsire's power. In truth, succumbing to the worship of Nurgle is indeed a kind of madness. His mortal worshippers exult in al the repugnant signsof disease and mutation that should instinctively repel them.

(The Magician: Oh, look at these silly billies! What confusing little fawning floundrels of verminous tosh they are! What poor, misguided dears!)

You do not sound like you.

(Felicity Vandire: She's a being of Change, there are a lot of "her"s for her to choose from.

(The Magician: My point, dear Watson, is that to every curse there is a gift, and every plague an evolution, a mutation, a transformational sensation worthier than all the rest! Life, randomness, and growth are things that Nurgle promotes, from the most disgusting disease to the loveliest flower, from the tooth of a T'au to the heart of a human and the genitals of a grox! You can make anything sound ugly and drab, flabby and sad, if you just focus on the parts that aren't so photogenic! Besides, it's easy to avoid paying for healthcare when there's someone to blame for disease! After all, Nurgle loves all, from the cutest little ebola virus to the largest Hive Tyrant!)

The Mark of Nurgle is known also as the tri-lobe, for it comprises three bloated spheres arranged in a distorted triangle. As often as not, the mark manifests in the form of plague symptoms. Three fatted boils; three pustules straining fit to burst; three reddened weals or crater-pocks in flesh; three coiled maggots, bulbous flies' eyes or leech-like maws; all these and myriad other horrors appear upon the hides of Nurgle's servants or bubble up from the armour plates of war engines dedicated to his glory. At other times the tri-lobe is wrought in verdigrised bronze or rusting steel, blessed with libations of bile and pus before being raised high above the reeking ranks of armies, mortal or daemonic. This awful mark may appear spontaneously upon the flesh of livestock, in the alchemical swirls of chem-factories or in the visions of luckless astropaths — a curse mark that promises plague and pestilence to follow. Even to look upon Nurgle's mark can cause mortal beings to suffer spontaneous outbreaks of disease; in battle such decaying icons borne by Nurgle's daemonic foot soldiers are veritable lodestones of virulence.

(The Magician: Oh, it is true that the mark is often simple and naive / but if you want to distill an ideology to see / it at its most basic / a stripped-down philosophy / you have to start small, microbes and skin, maggots to win, all the things that everything comes from / from the basic to the bold / this story, well, it must be told / even if the means are slightly sorta just a bit creepy...)

We're still participating in this harmonic operation?

(Vior Or'es: Please, please, set your thesaurus on fire.)

(The Magician: Does anyone wanna sing?)

No, thank you.

(The Magician: Come on, anyone, anyone, any takers?)

(Felicity Vandire: ...You thought my voice sounded beautiful?)

(The Magician: Come now, my darling little circus peanut, sing in your style.)

(Felicity Vandire: There's a song I know that's brave and true / a song that no one else could do / a song that sits for me and you / and makes me feel just not so blue / I know it's tough to believe but trust me, wow, it's true! / This song is the song for me and you!)

...Very good, Felicity!

(Vior Or'es: You should work on writing better lyrics.)

Don't say that!

(Vior Or'es: I thought sophonts are supposed to help other sophonts identify their weak points to get better.)

...Well, yes, but you have to phrase it differently! For example: "My, Felicity, I love your voice, have you considered trying to make your lyrics more focused and poetic? They would go great with your excellent tones!"

(Vior Or'es: You just said what I said in a way that sounds condescending and overly flowery. Is this a social nuance I am missing?)

(Ashlee Viola: Well, uh, I thought the meter was good, I liked yer voice, the way ya kept pitch changes smooth, an' while I wasn't really sure what the song was about other than itself, it was catchy.)

You can't say that!

(Felicity Vandire: No, that was the best criticism I've gotten. Vior Or'es didn't tell me how to improve or reassure me that I was doing well, and you didn't tell me where I could improve.)

(Ashlee Viola: So, uh, can I drink yer blood, now?)

(Felicity Vandire: ...What?)

(Ashlee Viola: Oh, an' pardon me for bein' literally fucked in the head, but seems pretty screwed-up of the author to paint worshippin' a different god as bein' mentally ill. Stigmatizes us, which I care about because I'm an us.)

...accounts speak of churning, vomitous marshes thick with hissing reed beds of rotted bone. They tell of fungoid forests and of maggot-stuffed trees festooned with rusting bells, of pallid blooms growing bloated and foul from soil fertilised with rotting corpses and of the ghastly plague daemons that roam the blighted wilds.

The inhabitants of realspace would be fortunate if Nurgle's daemons stayed within that metaphysical garden. Yet wherever the Grandfather's power waxes amidst epidemic and sorrow...through the veil like foulness gushing from a punctured boil. They come in a shambling mass, their ragged banners flapping in pestilent winds that carry the tolling of discordant bells and the groan of mucous-choked voices to their terrified foes.

(Ashlee Viola: Fer the T'au'va's sake! Back me up on this, Magi, but the garden's got all life, not just the ugly life. Besides, most of the Daemons this book talks about are war daemons, so why wouldn't they embody the ways life can kill?)

(The Magician: You're...aware of this stuff, dollface?)

(Ashlee Viola: I have a degree in archaeology. I pick up a thing or two.)

(The Magician: I also think—humorously enough for a daemonology text—this book just can't stop demonizing us. You know me! I'd only violate the mind and body of some poor, innocent thing if they asked me first! Or, well, if I was in danger and it was self-defense! Or war, I guess, but I haven't fought in a war in a real long time! Point is, we ain't evil, we're just weird!)

There...are more malevolent Daemons, yes?

(The Magician: Sure. We're just collections of thoughts made manifest, and some thoughts are bad thoughts. Most thoughts or emotions aren't good or bad, though. I was once a person, now I'm a few ideas in a trench coat!)

[The priest] Kalimund began his sermon from the steps of his shrine, his words carried by vox-horn and servo skull to the gathered faithful. When, seven verses and seven lines into his oration, Kalimund began to convulse, the congregation believed he had been gripped by the spirit of the God-Emperor. Then Frater Kalimund erupted in a revolting spray of diseased fluids. Before the screaming masses, a hillock of foetid flesh swelled from the priest's ruptured remains. The Great Unclean One Obloxxothrax drew itself up to its full height and, with a bass chuckle, raised its leprous hands in benediction. The faithful fled this nightmare apparition, but they had no time; the daemon's blessing was only seven words long. As the last glottal syllable bubbled across the valley, the retchpox blossomed. It devoured itsv ictims, wailing serfs and militia deserters collapsing as their liquefied innards erupted from every orifice, before their flesh in turn melted into bubbling ooze.

Disciplined to the last, many Mordians stood and fought even as their comrades collapsed, vomiting blood and pus, or ran screaming. Yet more droning, bellowing daemons of Nurgle surged from the plague cauldron. Soon the Imperial soldiers were buried by an avalanche of filth. Obloxxothrax and his army marched on, the land sickening before them, as thunderheads of miasmal foulness gathered on high. So came the plague rains and whirling fly storms that heralded the advance. Rivers of filth gushed across the lands. Forests withered or bulged with putrescent life. The loyalist armies fought back as best they could, but one cannot fight a fever with lasbolts and bullets. By the time a strike force of Salamanders Space Marines answered the distress calls alongside Ordo Malleus daemon hunters, it seemed they could do little. Yet stil they joined the fight, for just as a single retchpox sufferer had begun this entire pestilent nightmare, so Malaeor could not be allowed to be but the first of many planets to suffer Obloxxothrax's plague. Disciplined to the last, many Mordians stood and fought even as their comrades collapsed, vomiting blood and pus, or ran screaming. Yet more droning, bellowing daemons of Nurgle surged from the plague cauldron. Soon the Imperial soldiers were buried by an avalanche of filth. Obloxxothrax and his army marched on, the land sickening before them, as thunderheads of miasmal foulness gathered on high. So came the plague rains and whirling fly storms that heralded the advance. Rivers of filth gushed across the lands. Forests withered or bulged with putrescent life. The loyalist armies fought back as best they could, but one cannot fight a fever with lasbolts and bullets. By the time a strike force of Salamanders Space Marines answered the distress calls alongside Ordo Malleus daemon hunters, it seemed they could do little. Yet stil they joined the fight, for just as a single retchpox sufferer had begun this entire pestilent nightmare, so Malaeor could not be allowed to be but the first of many planets to suffer Obloxxothrax's plague.

This is exploitative, uncomfortable, demeaning both to the human species and to Nurgle, and frankly just vile. Every line is meant to elicit an emotional response. It's distasteful, propagandistic, it of course has to find some way to shoehorn in the blessed Space Marines, and it's utterly and completely repulsive. The implication that this priest trying to heal the sick summoned a Great Unclean One and thus that this horrifying and lovingly-written medical grotesquery is implied to be their just desserts is awful. It genuinely does read like the author is enjoying talking about the horrible failures of the bodies of innocent people in sadistic fashion. This is one of the worst things I have read in these Codexes, and that includes the bigoted pile of trash that is the Drukhari one. We've seen parafascism promoted, dehumanization detailed, and massacres made moral in these books, but this masturbatory crap about the deaths of heretics is utterly inhuman.

(Sister Vandire: I'm no friend of Nurgle, but yeah. This is...This is cruel and an awful way to talk about a real incident of mass slaughter.)

(Ashlee Viola: I dunno, the morals ain't the issue for me, it's just kinda borin'. Not much to really work with beyond laughin' at some corpses. Still, kinda doubt the priest accidentally summoned a Great Unclean One. Somethin' ain't addin' up.)

(Vior Or'es: Let us avoid conspiracy theorizing.)

[This shared document has been left idle for twenty-nine hours.]

OOC:

Well, we've gotten to Slaanesh. Now, this work has always had an undercurrent of kink and sexuality used mostly for comedy, but I understand that most people don't come to the Warhammer AU for deep-dive discussions of this stuff. So, there's going to be two parts of this section. The first, not in spoilers, is going to be Sister (for now) Felicity Vandire's comments on it. They'll be PG-rated, and anyone who is underage or not interested in getting into the weeds of Ynathe's sex life should read those exclusively. There will also be sections in spoilers for Ynathe Azuuza's thoughts on the Slaanesh section, which are going to be more NC-17-rated and sometimes comedic. They won't have anything to say about any of the lore beyond the stuff that can really only be said in that kind of "adults only" section. Think of the Ynathe comments as "DLC" or an extra. They're there if you want them, but for those uninterested they're no great loss. I didn't want to cut those segments out for people who might find them fun or find that they give insight on the characters or world, but I also don't want to weird anyone out.

IC:

Well, then, after that utterly despicable Nurgle section, I've taken a break, enjoyed a drink or two, petted a Terran kitten owned by a friend, and now have returned to see the Slaanesh section. Oh, dear. I suspect I may need someone else to handle this one. Felicity, you can handle the bulk and I'll provide additional comments.

No mortal being is entirely free from desire. Be it physical, mental or even spiritual, the need for fulfilment goes hand-in-hand with most species' wish to find meaning and purpose in their lives. Yet as innocent as such motivations may be, it is all too easy for desire to become obsession, debasement and excess. So are the seeds of Slaanesh's power sown.

(Felicity Vandire: ...A figure long since forgotten once said that desire was the root of suffering. There is truth to that. Still, yeah, even I think "debasement and excess" aren't inherently evil so much as spiritually impure. Most of my friends are into that, and they seem fine. They aren't close to Him, but, well, they don't have to be. It just seems judgmental and a way to blame urges that are natural for most people onto some evil enemy. Oh, and I'm still technically a nun of the Sororitas, so I'd like to think I know how this works.)

Let us discuss sexual repression. It is true that sex is not natural for all sophonts, some have little interest in it. However, for those sophonts who do desire sex, they are sometimes told that sex is evil or unholy. This is untrue. Sophonts from the most violently cruel maniacs to the most pious and giving men of the cloth desire sex. What is harmful is not desiring sex but imposing your desires for sex on others, or otherwise acting in a way that does not include mutual consent and communication.

An act that would almost certainly be considered a gateway to Slaanesh in many parts of the Imperium would be what I did the last time I visited Vior Or'es. I, being the dominant, instructed Vior to act in a way we had specified ahead of time, namely for her to strip naked and wear a cat-ear headband, collar, and plug tail. She crawled around on the floor, ate out of a bowl, and put her head in my lap on the couch for pets. She sought to enter the headspace of being a doted upon pet for her own comfort and emotional/sexual gratification. I did not touch any of her genitalia during this experience, but nonetheless I was aroused by the sight of her in such submission and she was aroused at being reduced to a pet.

...Huh.

To the cannibal tribes of Ghoma VI, Slaanesh is known as the Feastbringer, depicted as a slavering maw, vast as a canyon, whose hunger for Human flesh can never be sated. To the alien Jorvax, his name is a jarring cacophony of symphonic disharmony looped atmind- shattering volume through the organic amplifiers that grow like parasites upon their bodies. The traitorous regiments of Toloso know him as the Cruel Mirror, and mutilate themselves ever more grotesquely in hopeless displays of worshipful vanity. To the dwindling Aeldari, Slaanesh is named She Who Thirsts, and is both the product of, and eternal punishment for, their ancient empire's degeneration into murderous debauchery. The Dark Prince; the Lord of Excess; the Perfect One; there are as many names for Slaanesh in the great span of the galaxy as there are obsessions and perversions to waylay incautious and weak-willed mortals. Ultimately it matters not what name or appearance people ascribe to this Dark God; however they fixate upon him, they all worship him in their way.

(Felicity Vandire: I think I'm genuinely starting to hate the purple prose in this Codex. I find it...disappointing, honestly, that they only show vaguely bigoted stereotypes of worshippers of these gods, like a Slaaneshi isn't as likely to be a temperamental chef obsessed with culinary excellence as they are to be a gibbering stereotype of a cannibal tribesman. What, did a Praetorian officer write this?)

Slaanesh is Joy, not just excess. When I had Felicity over my knee and paddled her rear raw red as a maintenance spanking before I fucked her with a strap, there was no excess there! It was thoroughly mundane, barely even non-vanilla. Sure, she might have treated it as though it was some great transgression against purity and common sense, but...

Where was I going with this? Oh, right, this book reflects a Praetorian Redcoat's sheltered view of sexuality, one that is ultimately regressive, controlling, and harmful when self-imposed or imposed on others.

A pattern of pearlescent scales upon the neck; a knot of pumping veins visible through pallid skin; pupils twisted into this unsettling new shape — however it manifests, the Mark of Slaanesh proclaims that here is another mortal soul claimed by the Dark Prince. Where it is borne into battle upon the magnificent standards of his daemon legions, Slaanesh's rune becomes a lurid stain upon the fabric of reality. It is a lens to focus and channel raw corruption into even the stoutest mortal heart. Merely to look upon such an icon is to risk one's soul and sanity, and for those who succumb to the mark's corrosive power a descent into obsession and madness awaits.

(Felicity Vandire: ..."Corruption", "stain"? These are such loaded terms for influence. I don't want that creepy IV drip of some god/dess's happiness, but this is just really unsubtle propaganda. It also keeps talking about "madness", like that means anything without the context of actual mental health talk. Anyway, and I feel kind of dirty saying it, a mark can mean different things to different people: a reminder of safety, a sign of allegiance, something to help someone keep the faith, that kind of thing.)

Ha, a "knot". Much like Ashlee's. Speaking of which, that mark can mean a lot of different things to different people. For some, it's a note of safety, like an Imperial Aquila. For others, it's a means of religious rememberance, like a Fleur-de-Lis. For some, it's even a form of submission to their God, much in the same way a dominant might draw or tattoo a mark on a submissive's body, though, of course, with added religious significance.

Oh, and I think I know a thing or two about "a pattern of pearlescent scales upon the neck".

When Drukhari raiders struck at the Imperial colony of Persiphon, the sadistic aliens inflicted unrelenting misery and terror upon the planet's people. The Drukhari became caught up in their cruel sport, lingering long enough that the Ultramarines of Strike Force Aurus arrived to deliver the Emperor's vengeance. Yet the Space Marines' victory had unintended consequences.

The people of Persiphon felt shamed. The xenos had tormented them, and they had been unable to defend themselves as the God-Emperor demanded. Yet they were also left with a bone-deep veneration for the magnificent blue-and-gold-armoured demigods who had rescued them. This adulation soon became a desire to echo the Space Marines' strength. The people of Persiphon vowed they would never need to be saved again.

Each of the world's six great clans established Halls of Excellence, wherein aspirants would train to become the best warriors that unaugmented Humans could be. A spirit of healthy competition and deserved pride in their achievements saw the Halls of Excellence turn out highly trained, physically conditioned and well-equipped warriors. For the next two generations, Munitorum tithe- takers noted an increase in the quality of Persiphon soldiery, who marched out in lockstep armoured in blue and gold.

Such accolades were not enough. The war clerics of the Halls of Excellence would accept only perfection. Seeking to push their peoples' achievements to new heights, they created the Six Circles. This new martial art encompassed body and soul, melding the spiritual teachings of the war clerics with an exacting regimen of physical training so extreme that not all survived it. Rumour had it that the Six Circles also saw aspirants undergo chemical and surgical augmentation behind the closed doors of the Halls of Excellence. Whatever the truth, the results could not be denied. For the next three generations, the Persiphon regiments became renowned for breathtaking martial excellence, even as the halls they trained in grew into vast mountains of colonnaded marble and statuary that gaudily aped the stately magnificence of Macragge.

For al their puissant skill and might, however, the Persiphon regiments were also noted for overweening pride and shocking excesses of violence in battle. When whispers circulated about a deviant religion growing within the Halls of Excellence, it was enough for Inquisitor Rudran Luc to launch a covert investigation into the planet's darkening reputation. Luc's operation had barely begun, however, when astropathic distress calls rang out from Persiphon.

The Inquisitor's worst fears were realised as he and Strike Force Aurus made orbit over the hideously altered world. Interrogation of remote data-augurs revealed how the competition between the Halls of Excellence had turned sour, plunging their world into a shockingly savage civil war wherein the combatants soon hurled aside al notions of their Humanity and the war clerics appealed to dark powers for aid in seizing final victory. So were the daemons of Slaanesh summoned by the prideful clerics of Persiphon. It was a tragically unwise invitation that could not then be rescinded.

No less than six Keepers of Secrets had claimed the planet and its people. Each now ruled one of the Halls, claiming the structures as palaces for their daemon legions and the mortal clerics as their enslaved devotees. The colossal buildings' architecture had mutated and exaggerated until each became a grotesque temple to psychotic excess that mocked the Ultramarian aesthetic to which it had once aspired.

(Felicity Vandire: "Oh, don't get too good at anything, don't try to achieve anything we don't want, or Slaanesh'll get you". What a crock of shit. Oh, and I know what happened at Persiphon. The war clerics were Slaaneshi, but it was because they found joy in the constant struggle to succeed. They didn't invite some evil daemonic force, they used Slaanesh's power to exert control over their own people as a kind of soft-coup! Daemonic influence is dangerous, but typically it's dangerous because it's a power that mortals should not have. They're trying to turn an exploitative cult—one that would be exploitative no matter who they worshipped—into some kind of morality play. Heresy is a real problem, it takes away from the God-Emperor's light, but heresy is dangerous because it is a weapon in the hands of the immoral, not because trying to be too good at something makes you inherently evil. Fuck promoting mediocrity. I do blame a part of Slaanesh to a degree for helping to enable it, but Slaanesh is a collection of disparate positive and negative ideas and feelings more than a person, so it was more that the war clerics chose to draw on the negative stuff.)

I feel that Felicity is overstating the danger of heresy rather than that of imposed hierarchy, but nonetheless I would note that there was an element of kink in the war clerics' orders, and that the slavery reported was—at least at first—merely negotiated and safely-organized consensual submission play. That said, the war clerics did abuse that control and eventually devolve into the infernal practice of actual slavery, but that was due to their own greed, and some of those Daemonettes were enslaved as such by both the more malevolent Keepers of Secrets and by the war clerics. It is very important to be on guard and ensure that kink does not become abuse, and the acts of the war clerics and the daemons who were willing to aid them in their evil were their own sins. You might wonder why Slaanesh didn't revoke hir sponsorship, and the answer to that is that Slaanesh's negative facets are as autonomous as hir positive facets. In many ways, Slaanesh is more of a collection of ideas and feelings than a person, and some of those ideas can promote bad stuff.

(Felicity Vandire: Well, we're done with Slaanesh. Honestly, I'm kind of underwhelmed. I expected it to get more puritanical, or at least more lurid.)

Sest la vee.

(Antimony: I do believe you mean "c'est la vie"?)

I don't speak Vostroyan.

In the closing years of M41, a colossal belt of warp storms erupted across the galaxy, bifurcating the Imperium from the darkest reaches of the Segmentum Obscurus to the most remote extremes of the Eastern Fringe. This Great Rift not only severed half of Humanity from the Emperor's guiding light, but also ushered in a new era of witchery and daemonic rampage.

There are many varied theories regarding the origins of the Great Rift. Fragments of rumour suggest everything from the fall of the Cadian Gate, the fracture of Craftworld Biel-Tan, the manifestation in realspace of the Planet of the Sorcerers, or even the shattering of the daemon cage of Amethal. The likelihood is that al these events and countless others besides created the all-consuming cascade of unreality that ripped the galaxy so completely in two. In the wake of this catastrophic event, there were few mortals with the time or security to ponder such questions.

The Great Rift was, in truth, not a unified phenomenon but instead aroiling belt of warp storms stretching across the galactic plane from end to end. Even a single warp storm is a deadly threat to all mortal life - a raging tempest of empyric insanity that spills through from the immaterium and corrupts all that it touches. Warp storms swell and recede without apparent cause, sometimes blanketing vast regions. They foul any attempt at warp travel or psychic communication, and bring madness and mutation to every world, ship and being engulfed in their sprawl.

Daemons are able to inhabit such warp-realspace interstices, and entire planets may be transformed into nightmarish daemon worlds at their whims. Moreover, daemonic legions often spill out of these regions to attack the tracts of realspace beyond, given power and substance by the immaterial energies flooding out from the warp storm at their backs. The Great Rift comprises dozens of such immense metaphysical tempests, some of which have set to roaming the galaxy with an almost sentient malice, engulfing fresh star systems with every passing cycle.

"The Emperor's guiding light"? This Codex really is just deeply unsubtle Imperial propaganda. If I can quote the utterly reprehensible Imperial propagandist Io Gebb, "propaganda wants to appear diverse ideologically while being uniform in reality". In other words, the best propaganda does not appear as propaganda.

(Felicity Vandire: Are you really asking for this crap to be better propaganda?)

I mostly just wanted to show that I knew who Io Gebb was. Not that I support her, just that I'm historically educated and able to quote such figures regardless of their moral ineptitude.

(Felicity Vandire: ...Yeah, that sounds about right.)

What's that supposed to mean?

(Felicity Vandire: All I'm saying is that you're the kind of person to drink tea with your pinkie finger extended because you heard that classy people do that.)

...Well, erm, anyway the Great Rift is...It's a bit more complicated, a realm of illogic and Chaos, both capitalized and lowercase. It's a part of the galaxy that's like a dreamland or a nightmare. Oh, and there's also a mediocre bit of fictional prose about a "Sergeant Idras" that isn't particularly useful, it's mostly just an attempt to inexplicably center this Codex about daemons on the Imperials.

The greatest and most nightmarish of all warp-realspace interstices is known as the Eye of Terror. This colossal zone of immaterial overlap dominates the Segmentum Obscurus and - before the coming of the Great Rift - represented the single largest and most corrosive region of warp corruption in the known galaxy...Within the Eye of Terror, space itself is corrupted by the warping touch of Chaos. Stars have become colossal runes blazing with eldritch fire, or staring eyes whose inescapable regard drives mortals slowly mad. Planets have mutated into raging ruinscapes, become nomadic and predatory entities, or have slid outside of the flow of time, trapping all on their surface like insects in amber... worlds turn beneath distorted skies ravaged by storms of coruscating flame or haunted by fleeting and grotesque faces. Mountain ranges transmogrify into sky-scraping skulls from whose cavernous eye-sockets pour waterfalls of molten blood. Oceans clot into seething morasses of diseased filth, through which foul leviathans hunt and sport. Forests grow into masses of fleshy extrusions dense with scintillating cilia whose touch brings blissful oblivion before draining their comatose victims dry.

All of these things do exist in the Eye of Terror, and the Eye of Terror does tend to be more obviously nightmarish than other parts of the Warp and the Chaos Gods' psyches, but even so the horrors are matched equally by wonders. There are rivers of gold, islands in the sky, dragons made of heads and tails, along with bent realities and unreal utopias. The prose here is also very...overdone.

Though each might pursue their masters' unique agendas with single-minded tenacity, the ultimate aim of most daemons is to manifest within realspace and corrupt it entirely with the energies of the warp, until it too collapses into formless madness. Should enough of realspace be subsumed, matters will reach a tipping point where that which conforms to sanity and natural law becomes aseries of shrinking islands amidst an endless ocean of rapacious madness. Sucha fate will bring complete damnation to al mortal beings. Those who understand the danger stil fight against this impending doom, yet as the storms of the Great Rift rage and the daemon legions spill out to overrun one world after another, the last days of reality draw ever closer.

What overdone nonsense. It is deeply unlikely that all of the universe could be subsumed into the Warp's unreality. The Warp and realspace support and feed off of one another. This is just fearmongering.

Welcome to the rules section of Codex: Chaos Daemons. On the following pages you will find al the rules content you need to bring every aspect of the legions of the Dark Gods to life on your tabletop battlefields....On top of this, Chaos Daemons are the only faction in Warhammer 40,000 with access to the Warp Storm rules, by which you can bring the madness and chaosof the Warp to the battlefield to boost the powers of your daemons and even replace destroyed models with new reinforcements from beyond the borders of reality! You will find everything you need on the following pages to include these rules in your games of Warhammer 40,000, not to mention bespoke content for your Chaos Daemons Crusade force. Included in the latter are exciting Requisitions that enable you to expand the powers of your Greater Daemons and a system allowing you to track the Great Game, the eternal battle between the Dark Gods of the warp, to empower your units based on which Chaos God's powers are in ascendancy!

What an uncomfortable, tedious, unwanted experience. I still find the Nurgle stuff unsettling.

(Antimony: So, who wants wine and cheese?)

OOC: Well, combat can be something someone can strive for excellence in.
OOC:

Hm, yeah, I tend to sort of discount that angle. It's a blind spot, I guess.

Now I'm picturing a story on some remote 'crossroads' world where lots of different groups interact and there's kind of a Wild West theme and there's some (in)famous gunslinger who's got a haunted pistol trying to turn them into the ranged combat version of Lucius the Eternal one mind-altering whisper at a time.

ALL OOC:

(Ashlee Viola: Fer the T'au'va's sake! Back me up on this, Magi, but the garden's got all life, not just the ugly life. Besides, most of the Daemons this book talks about are war daemons, so why wouldn't they embody the ways life can kill?)

(The Magician: You're...aware of this stuff, dollface?)
Very weirdly, this actually reminds me of a line from C. S. Lewis' 'planetary' novels. Given who C. S. Lewis is and what kind of stuff he wrote, that surprises me as much as anyone. But the exchange, loosely speaking, goes something like this.

"Why don't the angels on other planets seem like the ones there are stories of on Earth? Here on Mars and/or Venus, I'm not seeing flaming swords or scary eyeball-wheels."

"That's because the other planets are basically chill and happy, and so are the local angels. Earth just happens to be a brutal cosmic battlefield, so any angels you happen to see there are scary-ass individuals who are metaphysically armed to the teeth."

This is exploitative, uncomfortable, demeaning both to the human species and to Nurgle, and frankly just vile. Every line is meant to elicit an emotional response. It's distasteful, propagandistic, it of course has to find some way to shoehorn in the blessed Space Marines, and it's utterly and completely repulsive. The implication that this priest trying to heal the sick summoned a Great Unclean One and thus that this horrifying and lovingly-written medical grotesquery is implied to be their just desserts is awful...
I think you left out the part of the quoted text where that implication was made clearly.

I'm not saying the implication wasn't made in the text, I'm just not seeing it in the text of the quote box, which is basically one big slab of "XYZ happened, and then horrible shit happened to people."

I think the part you're most strongly reacting to is in that "XYZ happened" stuff. Or I'm just completely missing something, which is possible, and sorry if so.

[This shared document has been left idle for twenty-nine hours.]
I do think it's wise of you that you have started using that to indicate 'scene breaks.' It's a good choice.

(edited)

(Felicity Vandire: "Oh, don't get too good at anything, don't try to achieve anything we don't want, or Slaanesh'll get you". What a crock of shit. Oh, and I know what happened at Persiphon. The war clerics were Slaaneshi, but it was because they found joy in the constant struggle to succeed. They didn't invite some evil daemonic force, they used Slaanesh's power to exert control over their own people as a kind of soft-coup! Daemonic influence is dangerous, but typically it's dangerous because it's a power that mortals should not have. They're trying to turn an exploitative cult—one that would be exploitative no matter who they worshipped—into some kind of morality play. Heresy is a real problem, it takes away from the God-Emperor's light, but heresy is dangerous because it is a weapon in the hands of the immoral, not because trying to be too good at something makes you inherently evil. Fuck promoting mediocrity. I do blame a part of Slaanesh to a degree for helping to enable it, but Slaanesh is a collection of disparate positive and negative ideas and feelings more than a person, so it was more that the war clerics chose to draw on the negative stuff.)
Still OOC:

Honestly, this whole segment being responded to here is particularly striking because it's basically one big slab of "when the Ultramarines do it, it's the best thing ever, but when someone else tries very hard to do it, it's demonic." Like, the criticisms here are all basically things the Imperium does. Persephonese warriors train obsessively. So do Space Marines. Persephonese warriors juice. Space Marines are basically one big mass of steroids and other enhancements. Persephonese culture as exaggerated and baroque, so is most Imperial architecture. Persephonese are proud/haughty/competitive. So are a boatload of Imperials.

Basically the only thing they can point to and say "this is actually bad" is vibes and aesthetic, stuff that's essentially similar to what Imperial darling factions (including but not limited to the Ultramarines) do, except "it's cute when we do it!"

(Felicity Vandire: Well, we're done with Slaanesh. Honestly, I'm kind of underwhelmed. I expected it to get more puritanical, or at least more lurid.)
Still OOC:

See, in our brains we often think of the way 40k talks about Slaanesh as being 'all sex all the time' and in particular 'all LBGTQ-coding all the time.' I think to some extent that's a result of the memorably insulting bits standing out the most. Something like the story of the planet Persephone isn't particularly LBGTQ-coded or even sexuality-coded, and directly because of that it's not stuck in a reinforcing loop of "and this is the thing I will remember when I remember how and why 40k is throwing bigoted language into its treatment of Chaos."

ALL OOC:

I think you left out the part of the quoted text where that implication was made clearly.

I'm not saying the implication wasn't made in the text, I'm just not seeing it in the text of the quote box, which is basically one big slab of "XYZ happened, and then horrible shit happened to people."

I think the part you're most strongly reacting to is in that "XYZ happened" stuff. Or I'm just completely missing something, which is possible, and sorry if so.

I do think it's wise of you that you have started using that to indicate 'scene breaks.' It's a good choice.

(edited)

Still OOC:

Honestly, this whole segment being responded to here is particularly striking because it's basically one big slab of "when the Ultramarines do it, it's the best thing ever, but when someone else tries very hard to do it, it's demonic." Like, the criticisms here are all basically things the Imperium does. Persephonese warriors train obsessively. So do Space Marines. Persephonese warriors juice. Space Marines are basically one big mass of steroids and other enhancements. Persephonese culture as exaggerated and baroque, so is most Imperial architecture. Persephonese are proud/haughty/competitive. So are a boatload of Imperials.

Basically the only thing they can point to and say "this is actually bad" is vibes and aesthetic, stuff that's essentially similar to what Imperial darling factions (including but not limited to the Ultramarines) do, except "it's cute when we do it!"

Still OOC:

See, in our brains we often think of the way 40k talks about Slaanesh as being 'all sex all the time' and in particular 'all LBGTQ-coding all the time.' I think to some extent that's a result of the memorably insulting bits standing out the most. Something like the story of the planet Persephone isn't particularly LBGTQ-coded or even sexuality-coded, and directly because of that it's not stuck in a reinforcing loop of "and this is the thing I will remember when I remember how and why 40k is throwing bigoted language into its treatment of Chaos."
OOC:

The main reason I saw that implication was because the deaths of those people were depicted in such loving detail that it felt like the work was reveling in their deaths. That's at least how it came off to me, but I do get what you mean. I think my brain just read it and thought, "Wow, this reminds me of how Victoria or The Turner Diaries talk about the inferiors getting 'what they deserve'."
I 100% agree on the rest of your post, though, and I think the story of Persiphon does have those implications. I think you can condemn the way the Codex treats Slaanesh for promoting conformism and tall poppy syndrome as much as you can condemn it for the vague implications of sexual deviancy.

Anyway, thanks for sticking through with the fic, it's appreciated!

OOC:

Hm, yeah, I tend to sort of discount that angle. It's a blind spot, I guess.

Now I'm picturing a story on some remote 'crossroads' world where lots of different groups interact and there's kind of a Wild West theme and there's some (in)famous gunslinger who's got a haunted pistol trying to turn them into the ranged combat version of Lucius the Eternal one mind-altering whisper at a time.
OOC:

That sounds like it could be pretty fun, yeah!

OOC:

The main reason I saw that implication was because the deaths of those people were depicted in such loving detail that it felt like the work was reveling in their deaths. That's at least how it came off to me, but I do get what you mean. I think my brain just read it and thought, "Wow, this reminds me of how Victoria or The Turner Diaries talk about the inferiors getting 'what they deserve'."
I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just saying that the reaction you wrote doesn't quite align with the part of the text you quoted. The parts you quoted don't seem (to me) to really be that, in terms of "implying that the suffering was deserved" or anything like that. I'm guessing that happened earlier in the passage.

So I think maybe it's as if you're responding to paragraphs A, B, and C, and then quoting paragraphs D and E. It's easy enough for me to read between the lines and I totally believe that your reaction is both valid and well informed by the text. But again, there's that gap.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just saying that the reaction you wrote doesn't quite align with the part of the text you quoted. The parts you quoted don't seem (to me) to really be that, in terms of "implying that the suffering was deserved" or anything like that. I'm guessing that happened earlier in the passage.

So I think maybe it's as if you're responding to paragraphs A, B, and C, and then quoting paragraphs D and E. It's easy enough for me to read between the lines and I totally believe that your reaction is both valid and well informed by the text. But again, there's that gap.
OOC:

Well, here's the full page, if that changes anything.

It might also just be a difference in perception/reading, but I think this came off to me weirdly.

Just because something's not ugly doesn't mean it's not dangerous. I was on a jungle planet, some of the other guards were riding on top of the Chimera because it was kriffing hot and humid enough that sweating didn't really work. I stayed inside because I had a bad feeling. Guess the one upside to no flak armor besides a helmet was that it was easier to have bare skin. Went by a tree, a low branch brushed across one of the riders. Few seconds later, he starts screaming like he's being burned alive. Everyone else panics, calls for a medic, but they can't do anything for him besides drug him to the eyeballs. Any time it wore off and he woke up there was more screaming. ...Someone ended up slipping him a few extra syrettes of painkillers and he died in his sleep a couple weeks later. Just looked like a tree with these nice blue flowers on it. Beauty doesn't mean good, and lacking it doesn't mean evil.

(Felicity Vandire: I think I'm genuinely starting to hate the purple prose in this Codex. I find it...disappointing, honestly, that they only show vaguely bigoted stereotypes of worshippers of these gods, like a Slaaneshi isn't as likely to be a temperamental chef obsessed with culinary excellence as they are to be a gibbering stereotype of a cannibal tribesman. What, did a Praetorian officer write this?)

I'm pretty sure the people who write these assume everyone's just as frothing at the mouth fanatic as they are, and they love the imperium with every second of their lives, so clearly anyone who doesn't must spend all their time thinking of new ways to cook babies or something.

Slaanesh is Joy, not just excess.

Thank you! There aren't always excesses available, and what even is 'excess'? Is it some extra sweetener in your kaf? Some people probably think it's having kaf at all, or anything other than the bare minimum needed to keep you alive and functional.

After I escaped and She found me, I was actually able to start living again and finding joy in life, not just trudging through it like a servitor. Even the little joys, like breakfast with someone you love, little shared glances across a room, or finding a good book are important. Treasure them.

(Felicity Vandire: ..."Corruption", "stain"? These are such loaded terms for influence. I don't want that creepy IV drip of some god/dess's happiness, but this is just really unsubtle propaganda. It also keeps talking about "madness", like that means anything without the context of actual mental health talk. Anyway, and I feel kind of dirty saying it, a mark can mean different things to different people: a reminder of safety, a sign of allegiance, something to help someone keep the faith, that kind of thing.)

What I wanna know is how are these marks really any different than the regimental tattoos a lot of guard members get. Same thing, marking yourself to show allegiance, right?

Heresy is a real problem, it takes away from the God-Emperor's light

What do you do when the light doesn't reach somewhere? The hive I grew up in wasn't as large as the one I'm currently in. More horizontal sprawl than vertical. But when they get big enough, the lower levels almost get forgotten. Below the 'surface' there's no natural light besides the access shafts, no wind except from the ventilation fans, no fresh air. The smell of metal and chemicals and people. If you grow up down there, you might never see the sun, the brightest light the arc-lamps you spend time under to keep your bones from crumbling. Why should there only be one 'light' that's allowed? People find light where they can, and they cling to it.

Yeah. Not saying I wanted another essay like the Nurgle one, but it almost feels like we're an afterthought.

Just because something's not ugly doesn't mean it's not dangerous. I was on a jungle planet, some of the other guards were riding on top of the Chimera because it was kriffing hot and humid enough that sweating didn't really work. I stayed inside because I had a bad feeling. Guess the one upside to no flak armor besides a helmet was that it was easier to have bare skin. Went by a tree, a low branch brushed across one of the riders. Few seconds later, he starts screaming like he's being burned alive. Everyone else panics, calls for a medic, but they can't do anything for him besides drug him to the eyeballs. Any time it wore off and he woke up there was more screaming. ...Someone ended up slipping him a few extra syrettes of painkillers and he died in his sleep a couple weeks later. Just looked like a tree with these nice blue flowers on it. Beauty doesn't mean good, and lacking it doesn't mean evil.

I'm pretty sure the people who write these assume everyone's just as frothing at the mouth fanatic as they are, and they love the imperium with every second of their lives, so clearly anyone who doesn't must spend all their time thinking of new ways to cook babies or something.

Thank you! There aren't always excesses available, and what even is 'excess'? Is it some extra sweetener in your kaf? Some people probably think it's having kaf at all, or anything other than the bare minimum needed to keep you alive and functional.

After I escaped and She found me, I was actually able to start living again and finding joy in life, not just trudging through it like a servitor. Even the little joys, like breakfast with someone you love, little shared glances across a room, or finding a good book are important. Treasure them.

What I wanna know is how are these marks really any different than the regimental tattoos a lot of guard members get. Same thing, marking yourself to show allegiance, right?

What do you do when the light doesn't reach somewhere? The hive I grew up in wasn't as large as the one I'm currently in. More horizontal sprawl than vertical. But when they get big enough, the lower levels almost get forgotten. Below the 'surface' there's no natural light besides the access shafts, no wind except from the ventilation fans, no fresh air. The smell of metal and chemicals and people. If you grow up down there, you might never see the sun, the brightest light the arc-lamps you spend time under to keep your bones from crumbling. Why should there only be one 'light' that's allowed? People find light where they can, and they cling to it.

Yeah. Not saying I wanted another essay like the Nurgle one, but it almost feels like we're an afterthought.
IC:

...Oh, dear, that story is...My word.

(Felicity Vandire: Yeah...Fuck.)

Anyway, erm, I can't tell whether the Codex is made by bigots, pandering to them knowingly, or both, but either way it's deeply frustrating. I am very glad you found your joy in She Who Thirsts. We all should be so lucky to be happy.

Demonizing "excess" seems like a way to justify supply shortages from nobility's overindulgence or simple repression, truthfully. I agree, though, I think the book demonizes daemonic Marks as being the "wrong" allegiance, not simply being a sign of allegiance.

(Felicity Vandire: ...I don't think either of us are going to agree on His light, so I'll just say you didn't deserve to be trapped like that in that metal Hell. I also think they probably skimmed over Slaanesh so they could market the game to kids.)

Just found this and binged the whole thing, and i have to ask is there a Codex or something that describes Malal/Malice? I am kind of interested how it would be represented in this

To the dwindling Aeldari, Slaanesh is named She Who Thirsts, and is both the product of, and eternal punishment for
IC: I wish to rip off this writer's HEAD! Even among those who fear Joy, to regard hir existence as punishment - it's -

Oooh I am boiling with rage. I need to take a moment.

Incidentally, and perhaps relevant to the Astartes reviewing some of the other codices, I note that what the noble Space Marines are allowed to do is instead presented as horrifying and corruptive to the average human. How do imperial citizens live like this, with idols they are told they must never attempt to emulate or they will be killed or lead to the deaths of their whole families?

Just found this and binged the whole thing, and i have to ask is there a Codex or something that describes Malal/Malice? I am kind of interested how it would be represented in this

OOC: Malal's no longer canon, so doesn't have a Codex. I imagine Malal's kinda covered by making Chaos much less of a united front of evulz wanting to kill all life; because the gods are now divided against themselves and multifaceted, you already have civil war within Chaos and don't need Malal, as cool as they are.

OOC: Malal's no longer canon, so doesn't have a Codex. I imagine Malal's kinda covered by making Chaos much less of a united front of evulz wanting to kill all life; because the gods are now divided against themselves and multifaceted, you already have civil war within Chaos and don't need Malal, as cool as they are.
OOC:Even in Canon they were never a united Front and even in the Heresy they were still fucking around with each other.This got much worse after the Scouring woth the Legion Wars killing so many that the Emperors Children got reduced to less than 1000 Astartes

IC: I wish to rip off this writer's HEAD! Even among those who fear Joy, to regard hir existence as punishment - it's -

Oooh I am boiling with rage. I need to take a moment.

Incidentally, and perhaps relevant to the Astartes reviewing some of the other codices, I note that what the noble Space Marines are allowed to do is instead presented as horrifying and corruptive to the average human. How do imperial citizens live like this, with idols they are told they must never attempt to emulate or they will be killed or lead to the deaths of their whole families?
Oh, yes, it's utterly frustrating, and I certainly don't define any sophont's existence as punishment.

It is utterly distasteful, but what else would you expect from such a hateful book? Oh, and I agree, the rules are far from consistent in Imperial society. It's so arbitary.

OoC:
Plasma pistol haunted by Slaaneshi daemonette is definitely a novel one.
OOC: Well, combat can be something someone can strive for excellence in.
Yeah, that and my dude's a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I also had some ideas for more... concrete benefits for the possession.

Khorne removed the risk of 'Splashing' (IE: allowing it to be used in melee range,) Nurgle let it Overcharge for a longer period of time, Tzeentch made it far more accurate, and Slaanesh made it far easier to use.

IC:
Looking into, well, the usual channels, it seems like that weapon has a daemonette of Slaanesh in it!
Thanks, I was gonna try the classical 'Sleep with it on you person' method of Possession detection, but knowing which one of the Four it is will let me get straight to the 'Why are you here and what do you want' phase.

Gonna try it tonight. Wish me luck.

Felicity Vandire: Well, we're done with Slaanesh. Honestly, I'm kind of underwhelmed. I expected it to get more puritanical, or at least more lurid.
I've said it before, and will continue to say, these Codexes are intended for those people with more money than sense.

OoC:

Yeah, that and my dude's a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I also had some ideas for more... concrete benefits for the possession.

Khorne removed the risk of 'Splashing' (IE: allowing it to be used in melee range,) Nurgle let it Overcharge for a longer period of time, Tzeentch made it far more accurate, and Slaanesh made it far easier to use.

IC:

Thanks, I was gonna try the classical 'Sleep with it on you person' method of Possession detection, but knowing which one of the Four it is will let me get straight to the 'Why are you here and what do you want' phase.

Gonna try it tonight. Wish me luck.

I've said it before, and will continue to say, these Codexes are intended for those people with more money than sense.
OOC: Makes sense, yeah.

IC: Oh? Why do you say that? Besides, how expensive can a few resin models be, anyway?

Oh? Why do you say that? Besides, how expensive can a few resin models be, anyway?
The bigger issue is that you have to get them from either a Collector, or the official stores, which aren't generally on any but the Important/wealthy worlds.

Not to mention that, depending on what Army you build, you either need a *lot* of Models, or some of the most expensive models they have.

Then you might have to buy a model 3-4 times if The Warp decides to be difficult, or you'll be unable to get it during your lifetime.

Much easier to play Knight Fight* instead, as the official rules on Substituting or Improvising models is a lot more relaxed, plus, the rule books are basically everywhere.

OoC:
* This is a Battletech Reference.

The bigger issue is that you have to get them from either a Collector, or the official stores, which aren't generally on any but the Important/wealthy worlds.

Not to mention that, depending on what Army you build, you either need a *lot* of Models, or some of the most expensive models they have.

Then you might have to buy a model 3-4 times if The Warp decides to be difficult, or you'll be unable to get it during your lifetime.

Much easier to play Knight Fight* instead, as the official rules on Substituting or Improvising models is a lot more relaxed, plus, the rule books are basically everywhere.

OoC:
* This is a Battletech Reference.
I suppose that makes sense, though I'm unsure of what about that part of the Codex (the Slaanesh bit) indicated that these Codexes are for those with more money than sense.

What a racket of a game, though.

OOC: It's getting increasingly draining to write these. I want to do stuff with these characters, and I love the roleplay and all, but the Codexes all feel like hate speech for societies that don't exist, just using tons of language and ideas used in hate speech against groups that do exist. I'm not saying 40K should be banned or that people shouldn't read these codexes. I believe in absolute freedom of artistic expression. It's just that, for me, having done most of the "totally nonhuman" or "okayish" Codexes, the ones remaining either are boring Imperial self-praise or Space Racism from Commissar Jerk. I think I'll go to bed and see how I feel in the morning. The Ork Codex is uncomfortable even by the standards we see here, it was deeply unsettling and felt like how hate groups describe racial minorities IRL. I only got a page into it and I had to stop for the night. I know 40K is a fun game, though, and that for people who can get over the tone of the Codexes it's probably a blast.

This doesn't mean the thread is going to end (at least how I'm feeling now about it), but it does mean that other people might handle the 40K reviews while I continue to do RP and perhaps have my characters review other sourcebooks and use them as jumping-off points to discuss the factions in the AU that nobody's covered. I'm thinking it could be fun to have my characters take a look at parts of the Fantasy Flight Games and West End Star Wars RPGs.

I don't know if that's what people come here for, though, so I'd love to hear if that sounds fun. Again, I might wake up and decide to give the Ork Codex another shot. We'll see.

Last edited:
OoC:
Again, I might wake up and decide to give the Ork Codex another shot. We'll see.
Eh, if it's physically draining for you to try and do then, I don't see why you should force yourself to. If anything branching out a little, (potentially into other stories/media,) wouldn't be that huge of an issue, some people might have clicked on this for Codex Reviews, but most stayed for the characters.

Also, if you do decide to axe this, do I get permission to find the Lost Primarch?
(Very specifically, you decide to end this, and my final post will be my dude finding the Lost Primarch and trying to convince them to return to leading their empire again.)

IC:
I suppose that makes sense, though I'm unsure of what about that part of the Codex (the Slaanesh bit) indicated that these Codexes are for those with more money than sense.
It's all of then put together. Each Codex is written in such a way as to make them money first, not get them beaten by an Inquisitor second, tell a decent story third, and convey facts a distant fourth. Like any other game in the Imperium.

Anyways, did the thing with my Plasma Pistol. Daemonette is... surprisingly chill, her appearance (as much as that matters for a Demon,) is a little strange, being some type of half-snake half stereotypical Noble Courtesan.

But, she's not trying to fuck with my brain, and trying to find a Plasma Pistol as good as the one I have currently use going to be a massive pain, not even going into all the paperwork and interrogations I'll have to sit through because of this.

It is kinda nice to just be able to talk to someone, and not have to worry about how whatever I'm saying could be used against me or my compatriots though.

Last edited:
OoC:

Eh, if it's physically draining for you to try and do then, I don't see why you should force yourself to. If anything branching out a little, (potentially into other stories/media,) wouldn't be that huge of an issue, some people might have clicked on this for Codex Reviews, but most stayed for the characters.

Also, if you do decide to axe this, do I get permission to find the Lost Primarch?
(Very specifically, you decide to end this, and my final post will be my dude finding the Lost Primarch and trying to convince them to return to leading their empire again.)

IC:

It's all of then put together. Each Codex is written in such a way as to make them money first, not get them beaten by an Inquisitor second, tell a decent story third, and convey facts a distant fourth. Like any other game in the Imperium.

Anyways, did the thing with my Plasma Pistol. Daemonette is... surprisingly chill, her appearance (as much as that matters for a Demon,) is a little strange, being some type of half-snake half stereotypical Noble Courtesan.

But, she's not trying to fuck with my brain, and trying to find a Plasma Pistol as good as the one I have currently us going to be a massive pain, not even going into all the paperwork and interrogations I'll have to sit through because of this.

It is kinda nice to just be able to talk to someone, and not have to worry about how whatever I'm saying could be used against me or my compatriots.
OOC: Truthfully, I'm not really sure if I'm comfortable with something like that. If you want to write it, you can, but it would be noncanon because that sort of vast setting change at the hands of someone who isn't even a proper contributor feels like that would be unfair to everyone else involved in the story. I appreciate the vote of confidence on other material for them to review, and I am thankful you're being so creative and invested in my little project! :]

IC: ...I suppose that makes sense enough. Ugh. Oh, and I'm glad you're getting to know her. It's nice that she's...well, friendly. I'd love to hear more about what sort of things you talk to her about, and what her personality's like.

On my end, I am just...Well, frankly...

Apparently Antimony is fighting six Ironkin with unique abilities and artifacts on different levels of xyr space station due to the machinations of an evil Votann robotics engineer.

It all strikes me as something having to do with super fighting robots.

All OOC:

It might also just be a difference in perception/reading, but I think this came off to me weirdly.
Actually, that does clear it up. The initial setup ("the peasantry on this planet is spectacularly religious, very uneducated, and obsessed with faith healing, to the point where they start hammering out antivaxx vibes in response to an epidemic") is critical to explaining why you interpret the text as a whole as saying "these people deserved what happened to them." That part makes a lot more sense to me now that I've read the first half, in which the people of the planet are presented as more or less setting themselves up to be devastated by this terrible (but relatively easily treatable) disease.

There's a reason why a lot of people on SV will refer to right-wingers that fight against COVID public health measures "Nurgle cultists," after all, and this kind of touches on that.

Now that I've read the full text, I understand exactly where you're coming from though I'm still a little unsure about how strongly to take it. Because it's actually interesting that this doesn't overtly emphasize fascist narratives in places where it theoretically could. The disease isn't blamed on infiltrators or immigrants or whatever. The blame is, and this actually feels a little weird to see in Imperial propaganda/sourcebooks,, specifically placed on communities who place so much faith in the God-Emperor that they ignore everything else, including things like "take your medicine" and "obey quarantine regulations." You don't expect an Imperial text to say "these guys died horribly because they had too much faith in the God-Emperor and not enough faith in normal practical stuff."

Of course, the fact that the majority of the planetary population was allowed to literally rot in ignorance for generations while 'offworld mining interests' extracted the planet's wealth from fortified mountain compounds... Yeah, that's not being touched on.

More broadly, I totally get why you're rebelling against this on the grounds that it's blatantly blaming victims for a horrible fate that they were unequipped to avoid because they were systematically screwed into that position by powerful Imperial authorities. It makes a lot more sense now.

(Felicity Vandire: ...I don't think either of us are going to agree on His light, so I'll just say you didn't deserve to be trapped like that in that metal Hell. I also think they probably skimmed over Slaanesh so they could market the game to kids.)
Firmly OOC:

Yeah, probably this.

It is utterly distasteful, but what else would you expect from such a hateful book? Oh, and I agree, the rules are far from consistent in Imperial society. It's so arbitary.
Still OOC:

Yeah, this is why I had my guy, back when I was playing a guy, go on about how 'Man'* makes rules that are bullshit and would make it impossible to survive while following them, then uses that permanent state of fallen-from-grace-ness to justify expending people or writing them off as "no angels" whenever something bad happens.

If I were still doing that, I'd probably be going on about that again IC, because Persephone is a perfect example. They're doing essentially the exact same things the Ultramarines do, and the criticism of their actions is almost invariably written in terms of "they were 'crudely aping' the Ultramarines but not exactly like them because everyone knows it's cute when we do it. Cynically, behind the scenes I bet that the Persephonese somehow outlived their usefulness and got purged for reasons that had nothing to do with any Chaos entities that may or may not have been present, though possibly some of the rulers of the planet began bargaining with daemons when it started to look as though the Imperial axe was going to come down.

*(read: the kyriarchy, personified as an actual dude for rhetorical purposes)

I could put on my 'Xfftonian Lurker' hat again and do an Imperial codex, very analytical, very cut and dried, but it'd take me a long time and I don't actually own any of them so I dunno.

Last edited:
All OOC:

Actually, that does clear it up. The initial setup ("the peasantry on this planet is spectacularly religious, very uneducated, and obsessed with faith healing, to the point where they start hammering out antivaxx vibes in response to an epidemic") is critical to explaining why you interpret the text as a whole as saying "these people deserved what happened to them." That part makes a lot more sense to me now that I've read the first half, in which the people of the planet are presented as more or less setting themselves up to be devastated by this terrible (but relatively easily treatable) disease.

There's a reason why a lot of people on SV will refer to right-wingers that fight against COVID public health measures "Nurgle cultists," after all, and this kind of touches on that.

Now that I've read the full text, I understand exactly where you're coming from though I'm still a little unsure about how strongly to take it. Because it's actually interesting that this doesn't overtly emphasize fascist narratives in places where it theoretically could. The disease isn't blamed on infiltrators or immigrants or whatever. The blame is, and this actually feels a little weird to see in Imperial propaganda/sourcebooks,, specifically placed on communities who place so much faith in the God-Emperor that they ignore everything else, including things like "take your medicine" and "obey quarantine regulations." You don't expect an Imperial text to say "these guys died horribly because they had too much faith in the God-Emperor and not enough faith in normal practical stuff."

Of course, the fact that the majority of the planetary population was allowed to literally rot in ignorance for generations while 'offworld mining interests' extracted the planet's wealth from fortified mountain compounds... Yeah, that's not being touched on.

More broadly, I totally get why you're rebelling against this on the grounds that it's blatantly blaming victims for a horrible fate that they were unequipped to avoid because they were systematically screwed into that position by powerful Imperial authorities. It makes a lot more sense now.

Firmly OOC:

Yeah, probably this.

Still OOC:

Yeah, this is why I had my guy, back when I was playing a guy, go on about how 'Man'* makes rules that are bullshit and would make it impossible to survive while following them, then uses that permanent state of fallen-from-grace-ness to justify expending people or writing them off as "no angels" whenever something bad happens.

If I were still doing that, I'd probably be going on about that again IC, because Persephone is a perfect example. They're doing essentially the exact same things the Ultramarines do, and the criticism of their actions is almost invariably written in terms of "they were 'crudely aping' the Ultramarines but not exactly like them because everyone knows it's cute when we do it. Cynically, behind the scenes I bet that the Persephonese somehow outlived their usefulness and got purged for reasons that had nothing to do with any Chaos entities that may or may not have been present, though possibly some of the rulers of the planet began bargaining with daemons when it started to look as though the Imperial axe was going to come down.

*(read: the kyriarchy, personified as an actual dude for rhetorical purposes)

I could put on my 'Xfftonian Lurker' hat again and do an Imperial codex, very analytical, very cut and dried, but it'd take me a long time and I don't actually own any of them so I dunno.
OOC: I'm glad the full page gave context, yeah. I also agree with you on Imperial hypocrisy both IC and OOC, I'm just finding it increasingly hard to read these Codexes. I don't tend to enjoy writing hatefics, and the Ork Codex is a bit tough to read as well. Oh, and I appreciate the offer and I'm good either way, so feel free to sit on it and give it as much time as you like. As always, I love listening to y'all's responses, and this one in particular is very insightful. Would you be interested in the 40K gang reviewing parts of Star Wars RPG sourcebooks or the like, with other people handling some of the remaining 40K Codexes and me still roleplaying as the 40K gang? I'm playing with the idea, I'll see how I feel tomorrow but the Ork codex is just...Well, it's a bit off to read. I absolutely respect people who can hate-read stuff, it's hard work.

Codex: Orks
OOC:

This is going to be the last 40K review I myself do indefinitely, but it isn't the end of the thread. We'll still get the Space Marine reviews, and there will still be roleplay. There's also going to continue to be other readthroughs and selected let's reads done by me using these characters here. Ynathe and her friends aren't going away. So, to clarify the reviews themselves aren't ending, I just don't think I can keep doing 40K or Codex reviews, specifically. They're so tiring and I'm growing to really dislike reading these. I don't want to do a hateread or hatefic, so I think to keep things positive we kind of need to review something I actually enjoy. Apologies for the trouble.

IC:

(Antimony: The year is M41XX. Antimony Aphrodite-Thor Dangereux has ended the evil domination of Dr. Vyla Oxblood and ensured the safety of the six Ironkin created to be xyr adopted children. However, the neverending battle against xyrself continues. Fight, Antimony! Fight to claim love against the terror of connection! Fight to create societies where people can be happy! Fight for more than just cold, hard cash! Fight, Antimony, fight!

(Ironkin Redeemed: Shine Kid, Brave Kid, Chill Kid, Flame Kid, Build Kid, and Space Kid! All six levels of the Space Station Antimony have been completed!)

Is...Is Antimony referring to xyrself in the third person?

(Antimony: Antimony is.)

What does "M41XX" mean?

(Antimony: It sounds cool, what else?)

...Why are your robot kids-slash-arcade level bosses named like that?

(Antimony: I like a consistent naming scheme. I felt as though they were cooler and more dignified names than something like Dan or Tullius.)

So...You're trying to improve society with your vast wealth?

(Antimony: Yes!)

How are you going to do that?

(Antimony: I have no idea! Oh, and I'll be busy spending time with my Ironkin children that bitch tried to turn against me. I do know an Ork, so I suggest you do the Orks Codex!)

(Kozba Garaggok: Hey. We doin' shit here? Soundz choppy 'as ell.)

(Antimony: Besides, this review series needed some more poor people!)

(Kozba: What, so I iz just here becauz I'm not rich?)

I'm sure you're lovely. May I see a picture of you?

(Kozba: Sure, gotcha.)

[Kozba Garaggok has sent a picture.]

...Oh, by Ynnead.

(Kozba: Wot, iz dat bad?)

No, you're...Those full muscles, those great tusks, that long, cragged sword...I didn't even know there were female Orks, and I'm stunned!

(Kozba: Dere was female Orks since we learned da other gits had gals. Just made sense. When we put our minds to somefin, it 'appens, an' den some Orks got dat way. Some wanted to be gals, it 'appens. It's possible cuz we say so and we say so cuz it's possible.)

...Are Orks known for their, erm, casual manner of speaking?

(Kozba: I 'ave a degree in medicine.)

...That is written in crayon and does not look standarized.

(Kozba: Oi! My patients are real healthy.)

(Antimony: I can attest to that, she performed brain surgery on me with wondrous talent!)

...What?

(Kozba: You's a scrappa, too?)

...I'm a gladiatrix, yes.

(Kozba: We oughta get into a scrap sometime, get people's blood goin'. Really show off.)

Oh, well, maybe we do have something in common!

Alright ya gitz, stop mukkin' about and lisen up! We al know bookz are normally only useful fer bashin' yer enemies over da head wiv, but dis is Codex: Orks, and dat meanz it's da best book yer ever goin' ta get yer grubby green clawz on. Wiv da know. wotz you'l find on da folowin' pages, you'l be able to get a proper Waaagh! goin' and get busy stompin' yer enemies flat.

(Kozba: Ooooh, I like dis. Sounds real orky. Good 'umie. A few Orks are into books, but there isn't many and we doesn't drop all our haitches. Only sometimes, when we iz feelin it. Nonetheless, feelin' respected.)

You don't find this to be an offensive mockery of your culture?

(Kozba: Culture's a pain fer squishy gits. It's orky an' I like it. I wanna build a proppa Waaagh! with da li'l plastic wotsits. Oooh, da kit comes with a li'l trukk.)

(Ashlee: Well, what do ya think about the history of the T'au Empire?)

Don't ask that! You'll humiliate her!

(Kozba: Da fuggin' lil blue squishies first got into a real right scrap, an den a buncha buzzkills came down an' told 'em ta knock it off an' play nice, which was a li'l weird. Da buzzkills set 'em up all nice an' told 'em dey were real special, leadin' to dem blue squishes findin' a buncha gits an tellin' em dey Tau now. Den da Fourth Sphere Expansion went all tits-up an dat Puretide git's mate Farsight told da Ethereals to eat crap, so now his old mate Shadowsun's tryin' to get 'im to go back to doin' wotsit with da Ethereals, an' here we are.)

...Oh my, I can't blush any deeper. Perhaps we could, erm, share some wine sometime?

(Kozba: Eh, it don't do much fer me. How 'bout a scrap?)

The Orks are probably the most brutal, aggressive, and - often - hilariously entertaining army to collect in the entire Warhammer 40,000 game. Rarely could these belligerent green-skinned aliens be accused of subtlety; an Ork army wins its victories through the expedients of overwhelming numbers, phenomenal resilience and relentless brute force. However, marshalling these anarchic savages into a coherent fighting force, and keeping them pointed the right way long enough to demolish your opponents army, is a tactical challenge in its own right. If you are looking for a fun and varied force with a heavy dash of gallows humour and an aggressive - if unpredictable - playing style, then the Orks are likely the army for you.

How offensive and demeaning.

(Kozba: Eh, da squishy fleshy gits like lookin' down deyre noses at us. Ya gets used ta it. Ya wonda why they keep scrappin' with us when dey actually die for good. Seems kinda dumb. Den again, da 'umies act dumb an' den act like it make dem flashy gits becuz dey got lotsa teef fer someone else ta tell 'em ta do somefin' dumb. I says if da 'umies wanna have li'l trukks iz deyre bizness.)

The Orks are the most relentlessly warlike alien race in the galaxy. They are also one of the most numerous and widespread. Humanity has enocuntered the Greenskin menace from the far reaches of the Uhulis Sector to the shadowy Ghoul Stars, and the depths of Segmentum Obscurus to the Eastern Fringe. Always hostile, always utterly anarchic, the Orks are an omnipresent threat to every race they encounter.

Orks attack with little thought for self-preservation or elaborate strategy, such concepts are hazy to them at best, and usually shoved aside in favour of the simple joy of storming headlong into battle. This is not to say Orks are nothing but base savages, however. A quirk of the Greenskins' genetic makeup affords some amongst them to build terrifying and deadly weapons of war, perform crude bionic surgery upon their wounded, project devastating psychic assaults against the foe and lead immense warbands into the stars to crush and conquer.

This, then, is the peril of the Orks. Unrelenting, innumerable, and bent upon endless battles, only their anarchic nature holds them back from complete galactic conquest.

My word, this was actually written by a Praetorian! Pip pip cheerio, the God-Emperor save the God-Emperor and all that! I do say that we simply must get to the Sentinel, good sir! Ha, ha, ha. Truly, my comedy stylings simply cannot be beat.

(Felicity Vandire: ...Pardon me from your offensive accent showcase, but I finally got honorably discharged from the Sisters of Battle. I explained that my psychological issues were weighing on me and that I no longer felt I was able to defend the God-Emperor in that way. So...I'm just Felicity Vandire, now, doing clerk work in the Ecclesiarchy. Most of my co-workers can't believe it.)

Oh, erm, congratulations! Also, my written accent was not offensive, that is actually how Praetorians talk! Also, Praetoria is a wealthy and powerful planet, one that can be subject to cutting satire!)

(Kozba: Satire needs some, uh, glarity of purpose so it don't just become doin' a dumb non-joke. It gotta say somefin.)

And my satire says that their accent is stupid and that they're pompous bigots!

(Kozba: See? Dat's satire.)

(Sister Vandire: It's just a silly voice.)

We both know Praetoria is nothing compared to the Black City.

(Sister Vandire: Well, now I can peg you to shut you up.)

Oh, do you love me?

(Sister Vandire: Yes! That's half the reason why I left the Sisters of Battle! Do you think a nun would hang around a sociopath, a daemon princess, and multiple xenos without feeling some kind of affection for them, especially the one who introduced me to them all?)

...Oh my, you love me.

(Vior Or'es: ...Also, the definition of anarchy is a society without rulers or hierarchy, which means a non-capitalist horizontally organized society. While the term "anarchy" can also be used to describe a state of chaos, it is ultimately somewhat misleading and mostly serves to demean the Orks by insisting that they are stateless and therefore lacking in rights.)

(Kozba: Oh, an', uh, da galactic conquest stuff's a...We izn't tryin' ta do dat? We just wants ta scrap, it's da squishies who wanna run everyfin.)

Even a single Ork is dangerous. With their hulking physiques, jutting tusks, taloned fingers and ability to sustain catastrophic injuries —- even temporary decapitation - without dying, these xenos are natural warriors. Yet it is the simple and resilient nature of Ork society that raises them from a civilisation of mere thuggish beasts to a world-conquering, nigh on unstoppable threat.

"Thuggish beasts"? "Even a single Ork is dangerous"? This is the sort of language one would not use in polite company.

(Kozba: Dis is gettin' dumb. We isn't some tide of faceless gits, we iz scrappin' wit' da 'umies when dey scrap wit' us first or some warboss gets da idea ta go fer a scrap somewhere, but most of da time we iz scrappin' wit' ourselves, an' dat's more dan good enuff.)

The people making this game are promoting such hateful ideas.

(Kozba: Eh, I doesn't think most of da players read dis stuff like dat. Just low hangin' fruit. At least, I hope nots.)

...At any rate, I think I need a break from this crap, and we're only on the first page.

[This shared document has been left idle for twelve hours.]

The average Ork has as much time for formalised systems of organisation as he does for washing regularly or learning to read. As with every other aspect of their society, such divisions are as rough- and-ready as they are instinctive, and the Orks waste no time examining their whys and wherefores.

How classless.

(Kozba: Yeah, dey're bein' right dicks about it.)

The Orks see this barbarous system [rule by the strongest] as right and natural, and itensures that they are always led by the most powerful - if not the brightest - Ork amongst them.... This internecine competition is inherent to every aspect of what the Orks call their 'kultur; and it speaks to the obsessive nature oftheir simple psyches...Orks care nothing for the deeper questions, and yet many of them possess a bone-deep sense of tradition, manifesting as a conservative mistrust of anything they see as un-Orky. In multiple cases, of course, this is simply because the Orks in question are to dim to se the value in new or complex ideas, but being wrong never stopped an Ork arguing his case with his fists...Ork technology is as unreliable as a grot on guard duty. It has a nasty habit of blowing up or behaving in ways its inve never envisaged, and has an impact on its user's life expectancy equivalent to climbing into a Squiggoth pen while drunk
None of this stops many Orks from enthusiastically embracing the dubious wonders of what they call 'Orky know-wotz'...Everyone hates the Bad Moons Clan, except, of course, the Bad Moons themselves. Show-offs one and all, Bad Moons have the fastest growing teef. This makes them the richest Orks going, a fact they delight in flaunting with their rich yellow garb, showy gold jewellery and a preponderance of over-the-top guns
'Red wunz go fasta!'
'Us Orks neva lose a battle. If we win, we win. If we die, we die fightin' so it don't count. If we runs fer it we don't lose neither, 'coz we can come back fer anuvva go, see?'
The Deathskulls Clan are a superstitious bunch. They put great stock in the old Ork tradition of blue as a lucky colour. In part, this stems from the Deathskulls' acquisitive approach to property, which has led to a wholeheartedly deserved reputation as shifty, thieving gits...isolated Ork enclaves typically devolve to a more primitive state, losing their technology until they are little more than spear-lobbing savages.

Well! I sincerely and most assuredly think we need to find another game to read books from! These just keep getting worse and worse!

(Felicity Vandire: Well, I've been enjoying these. They are unsubtle and insulting, though, yeah.)

They're so disgustingly spitefully-written and mean! I can't tell whether this is insulting humans with a larger amount of melanin, the urban poor, or both, and it certainly is dehumanizing to Orks! I'm done! I quit! I'm not reading these Imperium-point-of-view hate speech books! I find it so utterly and truly frustrating how they use racially questionable language talking about "thuggish beasts" and inborn "kultur", how it leans into the fascist narrative of an easily vanquished enemy that is nonetheless somehow threatening (they're portrayed as both a soulless, violent horde and as walking jokes), and the drooling, mocking, childish contempt on display!

(Kozba: Da accents are kinda wonky, too. Sure, we really duz talk like dis, but we only talk like dis because we're speakin' Low Goffik, an' it's a common trope to depict urban workin' class 'umie types as talkin' like us to mock dem an' us, so da accent used has mockin' connotations even doe most of us do talk like dis. Besides, da tusks make it harder to talk posh.)

(Vior Or'es: ...I do think that the intent here is to portray Orks as being comedic, it is just that it is being done in such a way that is bigoted against both Orks and various cultures and variants of humans.)

(Ashlee Viola: It is funny.)

Well, it's extremely bigoted and I will have no part in giving these Games Workshop people free advertising. I physically cannot read any more of these, they've been getting more and more mean-spirited and it is deeply and utterly draining.

(The Magician: Yeah, gotta say, ya can only read so much "And then the Imperium was awful but everyone else was so much worse" before it all gets repetitive, too. Lemme lay it out for our readership what they would've gotten if our pointy-eared friend could stomach the rest of this hunk of junk. The Orks are kinda like portrayed in this book, but with a few key things to keep in mind! First, when an Ork dies and produces spores, one of those spores will be a second iteration of the same Ork with some residual memories, so Orks can't really permanently die. Second, Orks see their wars with each other as a kind of fun game, and are typically very confused as to why non-respawning species keep attacking the Orks when they can actually be killed. Orks are also known for playing Blood Bowl, a real fun game that only makes sense if you're half-immortal. Basically, Orks are, well, sorta your meathead jock friends who are mostly nice and cool but pretty dang loud and love to fuck around and wrestle! They're goofy, but most of 'em don't deserve this level of contempt.)

Yes, precisely. I'm just sick of these books. They're so draining to read, and they're so repetitive and parochial. Does anyone have anything else to read? Anything? Please, I want to keep doing these reviews but if I read more of this nonsense I might collapse! I can't do it! It's just such horrible negativity! I think I'm going to faint!

(Felicity Vandire: You're not going to faint.)

(Vior Or'es: What if she does faint?)

(Ashlee Viola: I ain't got nothin'.)

(Kozba: I don't really read much.)

(The Magician: ...I'm not the sort of gal who owns RPG books.)

(Felicity Vandire: Same here.)

(Kozba: I asked Antimony and xe don't got anyfin.)

Well, I don't have anything, either!

(Vior Or'es: We have a very popular roleplaying game in the T'au Empire! It is called Star Wars, and it comes in several iterations from different makers! It also ties into a popular film series, one which is both supportive of the Greater Good and well-respected in T'au society! It was created by a Gue'vesa, so it centers humans and should be very relatable! It also draws heavily from Earthling culture and history!)

...Star Wars? Is that going to be some "grim darkness blah blah only war" thing?

(Vior Or'es: Well, somewhat, but the war is between the villainous Empire and the noble partisan Rebel Alliance, with a focus on two competing religious orders of Psykers! It is a setting which is about hope and overcoming repression through faith in the Greater Good!)

...Are the aliens sexy?

(Vior Or'es: Yes, in fact, there are many alien species to suit your discerning tastes! How did you know there were aliens?)

Lucky guess, I suppose.

(Vior Or'es: Vooom! Vooom! Voom! Mrowww!)

(Felicity Vandire: What're you doing?)

(Vior Or'es: I am making lightsaber noises with my mouth! I find it fun and comforting! Lightsabers are the laser swords in Star Wars!)

I admire your lack of concern for the judgments of others.

(Vior Or'es: If one is not having fun in life, what is the point?)

[Vior Or'es has sent various files to the group]

(Vior Or'es: Well, let us take this piece by piece. Here is how the West End rulebook opens, just as an example of the tone in this setting.)

You've seen the Star Wars movies. You've read the novels and the comics. In the game, you'll get a chance to explore the galaxy I call home, to go anywhere, do anything ...as long as the Imperials don't catch you, that is. Before you can adventure in the galaxy, you better know something about it. First off, it's big — the Empire rules billions of worlds. Me, I've never seen a billion of anything, and you probably haven't either. So you'll just have to take my word that you've got a vast galaxy out there, waiting for you. What's the Empire? The rulers— the bosses — the guys with all the power, and they'll be glad to use it on anyone who gets in their way. Some planet's government gets out offline, an Imperial fleet will show up and blast 'em until they're ... more agreeable. Imperials call it "pacification" ... but I've heard nastier words for it. Could be some places — like Alderaan —just gotta learn things the hard way. The Empire's troops are thugs with blasters.

Praise Ynnead, our salvation from this benighted torment has come!

(Vior Or'es: Let us begin with the Force! We will attempt to synthesize different topics from different rulebooks and comment on them thusly!)

(Ashlee Viola: The what?)

IC: Well, while I am sorry to see your reviews of these 'codices' stop, I cannot blame you; the text's approach to the Orks here is vile. I might essay reviewing the 'Codex: Aeldari' since I was hoping to see your thoughts on it, cousin, but your own mental safety and security must come first. All blessings to you and your fellow reviewers as you explore Star Wars, though - it is a franchise I am somewhat familiar with and am intrigued to see your thoughts.

IC: Well, while I am sorry to see your reviews of these 'codices' stop, I cannot blame you; the text's approach to the Orks here is vile. I might essay reviewing the 'Codex: Aeldari' since I was hoping to see your thoughts on it, cousin, but your own mental safety and security must come first. All blessings to you and your fellow reviewers as you explore Star Wars, though - it is a franchise I am somewhat familiar with and am intrigued to see your thoughts.
Thank you, cousin. I agree. While the Orks may be silly and prone to combat, they certainly do not deserve to be demeaned, insulted, and treated with such visceral anger and condescension. I do feel somewhat sad, I know many were looking forward to my reviews of these codexes.

They just...They're awful and boring. The Imperial codexes are just praise for the Imperium, idle comments on the horror of living in patrts of the Imperium, and demonization of the Imperium's enemies. That, and constant worship of the Space Marines.

The Xenos and Chaos codexes, frankly, are often vile and just mindlessly depict foreigners as evil and, somehow, still obsessively focus on the Imperium.

It got harder and harder to stomach.

...Oh, by Ynnead.

(Kozba: Wot, iz dat bad?)

No, you're...Those full muscles, those great tusks, that long, cragged sword...I didn't even know there were female Orks, and I'm stunned!

I am so incredibly frelling gay. Girls are amazing.

...If we ever get to meet in person, would you like to give me some close combat instruction? I feel like it would be... very helpful.

Back