Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

I also noticed the Kancolle Reddit has been dying out. Maybe they went to Discord after that. I think the Shibafu-gate have convinced many to defect to Azur Lane.
Probably. Reddit is a terrible place for discussion. It's good for low effort posts though.

Comes with the upvote system. This is why traditional forums are superior discussion forums.
And speaking of Kancolle again, I have an idea of a fanfiction where the Japanese shipgirls had to fight not Abyssals, but shipgirls from other navies.
There's some precedent for the idea, though it's not popular in fandom. It takes great execution to sell the idea.

See: TSTD, which has this. However, it makes sense within context (well, as much as a Botes fic can), and the focus on fluff keeps the gloom from overwhelming.

... I'd post some more preview snips, but I'm phone posting from bed.

Probably. Reddit is a terrible place for discussion. It's good for low effort posts though.

Comes with the upvote system. This is why traditional forums are superior discussion forums.

Agree. Also, I noticed that the defection of many to Azur Lane is that DMM is somewhat more reluctant to find a Western developer, the fact the Azur Lane added entire lines of foreign ships, and that a lot of people were really pissed on Shibafu's art as "potato-like".

Indeed my idea of shipgirls fighting another shipgirls would be a good idea, but I fear I might bungle this fic up. I need to refine my skills.

Agree. Also, I noticed that the defection of many to Azur Lane is that DMM is somewhat more reluctant to find a Western developer, the fact the Azur Lane added entire lines of foreign ships, and that a lot of people were really pissed on Shibafu's art as "potato-like".

Indeed my idea of shipgirls fighting another shipgirls would be a good idea, but I fear I might bungle this fic up. I need to refine my skills.

My suggestion to this is read the battle accounts from WWII before you start writing and keep the appropriate ships close by as you write their combat scenes.

On the other side I would read/watch a good bit of slice of life and romance manna/anime and figure what ships match which characters so you have a reference there as well.

The KC reddit had been near-comatose before any of that happened. It has never had much activity. This is normal for most niche game subreddits. It's the same with Magireco, for example.

@Kiyone4ever

which one is it, i can't see any markings
She's rather special. Truth is, she's a fake. A full size 1:1 set built in Japan for Tora Tora Tora. They were intending to recreate Akagi but put the island on the Starboard side. However, if Akagi's sister Amagi had not been wrecked in the Kanto Earthquake of 1923, she would have looked very much like the set used in the movie in 1941

Another view:

Since there was some confusion on how naval fire control works...

All right, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Naval Gun Fire Control 101. During this lesson we will be conducting a greatly simplified overview of the problem of hitting a moving target from a moving platform, and exploring how the problem was solved by navies throughout the dreadnought era, or the period from WW1, through the interwar period, and into World War Two. Our textbook will be Norman Friedman's Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era, available at your university library or for $21 on Amazon.

I. The Problem

At its most basic level, the problem of naval gunnery is how to land shots from your guns where your opponent will be. This problem can be visualized as an onion: The first layer involves canceling the ship's motion. The second layer finds range to target, followed by range-keeping, or projecting the movement of the target so the shell lands where the target is, not where it was. The final stage is actually firing the gun, which also must deal with the random errors that cannot be compensated for in the other stages. This also serves to show that earlier stages often leave imprints on later stages. For instance, cancelling own motion requires modification the range produced by the range-keeper before feeding it into the fire control computer, then ultimately to the guns. However, for purposes of this lesson, we shall divide the problem up neatly, and ignore these imprints for the sake of brevity.

As a whole, the layers produce the following components of the problem, or variables:

• Own speed
  • Own course
  • Pitch
  • Yaw
  • Roll
  • Range to target
  • Range rate of target
  • Bearing of target
  • Bearing rate of target
  • Flight time to target's future position (The hard part)
II. The Analytic Solution

As naval gun fire control developed, these problems would be gradually solved. The first of these problems to be solved was Own Speed and Own Course. For course, the ship was simply assumed (for fire control purposes) to be on zero, and instrumentation fed the ship's speed to the fire control station (or, later, directly into the computer).

The next problem to be solved was correcting for the ship's roll, which is the side-to-side motion of the ship. This was first solved for broadside fire with the innovation of continuous aim by Captain Percy Scott RN, who noted that the most effective method of keeping guns on target was to continuously adjust the elevation of the guns to keep them on target at all times (19). This replaced the earlier method of firing at a set point in the ship's roll. Eventually, this would be succeeded by gyroscopic stable verticals, which would define a direction, straight up and down, which would be coupled with gyrocompasses that were able to cancel out a ship's yawing motion while tracking a target. This pair of gyroscopes would effectively allow the fire control computer to track pitch, yaw, and roll and fire at a selected point in the ship's motion. Development of remote power control would allow the computer to instead move the guns in order to cancel out pitch, yaw, and roll.

Having solved this problem (to the extent it was possible), navies then moved on to the problems of range, bearing, and their associated rates. Bearing could be measured by pointing a telescope on a marked base at the center of the target, and then reading the number off the base. Finding geometric range to a target (or the actual range at the moment the measurement was taken) was more difficult, and culminated in the development of two solutions by different navies.

The Royal Navy would develop the coincidence rangefinder, in which the operator would point the device at the target, then take a vertical "cut" through the target, and then manipulate the controls so that both halves of the target lined up. At this point, a second operator would read off the range.

The Kaiserliche Marine would pursue development of the stereo rangefinder, which gave the operator a single image, but with a sense of depth. He would then move a marker (called a "wandermark" by the Germans) until it coincided with the target.

Both rangefinders measured the geometric range to the target (sometimes called true range), which is different from gun range, or the range setting set by the fire control computer to the guns and their operators. Gun range takes into account the movement of the target while the shell is in the air, as well as the movement of the shooter while the shell was inside the gun, and even at extremely long ranges, the rotation of the planet. It thus involved the range rate and bearing rate, both of which could be determined by taking a second range and bearing, thus (in theory) giving two points and the time between them. With this pair of ranges and bearings, simple geometry could determine the target's course and speed, given an assumption of constant course and speed. Of course, additional readings improved accuracy, especially as range rate and bearing rate are interrelated. Eventually, this prediction would come to be called range-keeping. By WW2, this would be accomplished entirely by automated rangekeepers such as the US Navy's Ford Range-Keeper.

All rangekeepers assumed constant course and speed. This assumption is unavoidable, but not crippling. Most ships were unable to maneuver – alter course or speed – and fire at the same time. If the target intended to shoot, they could not maneuver.

Now that we know how to correct for our ship's motion and predict where the target is going to be, we need to translate that into angle of train and elevation for the guns. This is the job of the fire control computer, which after accepting range rate from the range-keeper, would apply corrections for the ship's motion derived from the gyrocompasses onboard, compensates for delays caused by "dead time" required to transmit the data to the computer, and any manually inputted corrections derived from observed fall-of-shot relative to actual target position. At this point, the fire control computer sends the train and elevation to the guns, whose crews train and elevate them to the desired angles, and then the computer completes the firing circuit, sending the shell on its way. Later, Remote Power Control allowed the computer to move the guns to the desired angles, and complete the circuit when everything was fully aligned. At this point, all that's left to do is wait until the shells land, observe the splashes, and adjust on the basis of the difference between estimated MPI (Mean Point of Impact) and target position. If the Mean Point of Impact is on the target (called a straddle), then the aim is correct, and the order is given for continuous salvo fire - meaning the ship fires salvos at the maximum practical rate.

III. The Synthetic solution

Synthetic rangekeeping was very similar, except it approached the rangekeeping problem from a different angle. Instead of computing directly based on observations, these observations are used to correct an assumed or deduced enemy course and speed. This is the superior solution, as it does a much better job of correcting for errors, and is easier to automate, therefore greatly reducing the influence of human error. With a synthetic system, the job of operators is to throw out erroneous results or measurements. The computer does the rest.

Last edited:
After a bit more discussion, I've decided to provisionally run my quest across SV/SB. This means votes will be valid in both threads. I'm hoping this won't turn out horribly. If it does, I'll just revert to a mirror.

Here's another voting option preview and prompt for other good ideas:
Why should you rise?

[Approval/disapproval voting. All votes with majority become character traits. Trait importance will be determined by vote count. Express disapproval with the prefix "NOT" ("NOT Avenging", etc)]

[K][MOTIVATION] Curious: To see what's there.
[K][MOTIVATION] Dutiful: To do as ordered.
[K][MOTIVATION] Humanitarian: To help.
[K][MOTIVATION] Perfectionist: To rectify past failure.
[K][MOTIVATION] Protective: To protect your comrades.
[K][MOTIVATION] Valiant:
<!-- TODO: CHANGE -->

[K][MOTIVATION] Write in. Keep it terse.

Can you provide a link to your quest?
It's not up yet, despite the advertising hyping up previews I've been posting everywhere. :V

However! Watch this thread (or any common discords).

Coming up soon, on Shameless Advertising: Silentium Preview: Enterprise.

(I swear, I'm not just reposting content that I had everyone on every discord ever alpha beta read! There'll be some new content :p)

Starts work.

Coming up soon, on Shameless Advertising: Silentium Preview: Enterprise.

(I swear, I'm not just reposting content that I had everyone on every discord ever alpha beta read! There'll be some new content :p)
Time to deliver, albeit slightly late:

The New Grey Ghost

The Grey Ghost received twenty battle stars, the most of any World War Two ship, "sunk" in action, according to Imperial Japanese media, three different times, and received the Presidential and Navy Unit Citations, the two highest naval unit-level rewards. She also received the designation CV(N)-6, as a night carrier, and is one of three pre-war carriers (and the only of the Yorktown-class) to survive the war. After the war, despite the best efforts of the Enterprise Association, plans for a museum fell through, and on July 1, 1958, Lipsett Corporation bought scrapping rights for a cash sum of $561,333.00. However, the name Enterprise would live on, through the nuclear carrier CVN-65, the longest-serving American carrier.

Like the other carriers named Enterprise, the *New* Grey Ghost symbolizes America. [REST OF PARAGRAPH TEMPORARILY REDACTED]

When I arrived, Elizabeth was working on a laptop, typing up a recent action report. Despite having special exemption from uniform regulations, she wore Service Dress Khakis, a formal version of her combat uniform. "It reminds me of what I fight for, and who I fight with," she explained.

[REST OF INTERVIEW UNFINISHEDREDACTED]

In brighter news, I think I'll start the thread tomorrow or Saturday today or tomorrow.

Through a Soldier's Eyes.
///////
"Well… This is certainly a SNAFU," I joked quietly to myself rubbing my head. Checking the tourniquet on my leg for about the tenth time in half as many minutes show that it was still tight, but the amount of red still dripping on my trousers told of the damage done. "Hehe, yup that's blood loss talking…"

I glance over the downed tree I was hiding behind, ducking back as several bullets from the entrenched Abyssal soldiers whizzed by for my efforts.

"To think I thought tonight going to be a simple night of ship spotting bingo," I growled sticking my M4 over the tree and let off a long burst of full auto return fire, empting the rest of the weapons magazine. Howls of pain was a welcome sound to my ears. "But no… Abyssal decide to pull an Italy and frogmen BEMMERINGTON!"

A savage grin splitted my face as I reloaded a fresh magazine as I decided to follow it up. Bruised or cracked ribs rubbing on my armor plates screamed in agony that was only muted by the adrenaline running through me as I twisted around setting my carbine foregrip inbuilt bipod on top of the downed tree I was using for cover. Not for the first time I was glad that the Army had authorized soldiers the option to carry their service weapons everywhere in CONUS for the first time since probably before the Civil War.

The red dot of the M68 sight landed on what could only be described as a skeletonized frogman as I squeezed the trigger. The bark of the M4 was followed by the soft tapped of recoil as a five point five six bullet shoved the Abyssal trooper back down.

"Fuck off back to the deep end with ya!" I shouted before managing to repeat that shot three more times over the next five shots before a bullet skimming my helmet putting yet another rent in it forcing me back into cover.

"Six shots for four dropped, not bad for a POG," I said to myself. Glance to the side I saw the four other magazines that I had emptied.Four of the seven I had with one being made useless by a lucky hit. "Making it… About fourteen dropped for over a hundred shots... I am a stormtrooper who really need to go to the range more-OI!"

I let off several shots at a couple abyssal frogmen who trying to sneak around past me. As they fall back I look at Seattle across the sound. The city's skyline scar but still standing tall. And hoped that there wasn't any other abyssal mini-subs that made it though. The US didn't need another San Diego or worst, Hawaii to happen. I really lucked out on seeing the mother sub trailing behind that naval formation. Even more so that I was able to warn them. A few more minutes of daylight either way...

Visions of the city burning slammed into the forefront of my mind staggering me momentary. Yelping in shock I punched to my wounded leg. The white hot spear of pain bringing me out of the vision. As my mind resettled my fright turned to rage, adding more fuel to my fury.

Growling I poke my head out long enough to glare at the abyssal line. They were trying that mind game again. Trying to rattle me, make give up.

No, I thought. The line must be held. I can't let them past this point to do lords knows what.

"Can't you skeletor rejects just fucking fuck off?" I said flipping them the bird before sliding back into my cover. I mutter worryingly to myself, "Am I finally losing it or was there more of them.."

Doing another quick look around my eyes landed on one of the naval ships that stuck around.

A massive three turreted beast sat in the sound, all three main gun turrets pointed in my general direction. A cruiser from the looks of it, maybe even a battleship. Either way it's wasn't of a style that had flown the Stars and Stripes in three decades at least. One of the so called return shipgirls I've heard so much about. Thought they will look more… Human and less ship.

As I stare at her, a stupid and insane idea probably born of blood loss and desperation formed.

I shot off another burst to keep the abyssals honest before digging into my plate carrier cargo pouch. Out came a flashlight with my cellphone. While thanks to Abyssal jamming the phone was useless in that regard it did have something on it that was useful. Fingers working quickly had me pulling up an app I downloaded on a whim.

Specifically a morse code translator.

"Please work," I muttered as I began to tap out a short message.

Can U C Me

I repeated a message twice more before a light on the ship's bridge started to flash out a reply.

Yes.

"Great! Now to-FUCK!" Movement out corner of my eye was my only warning before I rolled out of the way of a wicked looking bayonet. The Abyssal Trooper roar as it pulled it's bayonet out of the dirt. The turned into a whimper as my boot slammed into his groin in an adrenaline fueled kick. As the trooper double over my M4 came up. Four shots and one dead trooper later had me shooting a glare at the body, "Should have shot me instead idiot."

A rifle crack before a bullet slammed into my left arm was my answer. I howled in pain before manage to bring up my M4 and letting the little sister of Eugene Stoner creation repay it's masters pain at over nine hundred rounds a minute. The three Abyssal frogmen that gotten behind me crumble as the last bullet left the chamber and the bolt locked back. A blast as a grenade they were about to throw went off set the bodies flying.

I payed that no mind as I tighten down the tourniquet I slapped on before loading my last magazine. All the while cursing myself for getting distracted. I stole a glance at the ruin magazine still in its pouch debating if it was worth loading the few good rounds in one of the empties before deciding that it will take more time then it's worth. Turning my focus to my wounded arm I manage to make a fist.

"Good enough to grip," I grunted relaxing the hand before reaching to my side, "Last mag, fix bayonet." I soberly said pulling out the M9 bayonet I bought surplused before fixing it on my rifle. "Now time for my last idea…"

I reach out for my light and phone and being to tap a single message to my father after setting my phone to keep trying to sent it, before carefully sliding it behind my armor. That done I began to tap out my next message to the cruiser.

Ammo black, Open fire, my pos, danger close.

After all, if you not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win.

"To close," came the cruiser reply making me groan.

"OF all the…" I said before sending several pot shots down range to keep the abyssal frogman back and down. I saw them be begin to slowly move up anyways. They know I was running low on ammunition.

Hoping that this cruiser was in Vietnam I being to tap out a certain phase.

Broken Arrow, Broken Arrow, Broken Arrow.

Broken Arrow, a phase that originally and technically still does mean the lost of a nuclear weapon it had mutated over the years thanks to stories from the Vietnam when it was used for another dreaded situation.

Friendly unit being or in danger of being overrun, all available units fire on my position.

I was on my last mag, almost bleeding out, out of contact with any higher up, and seemly in front of a Abyssal trooper spawn point. And being advance on. I am completely and utterly fucked. I know that and had accepted that the moment I ran from my truck while pulling on my gear instead of getting in and running. Thinking on it caused a quote came to mind.

The moment that a soldier dons his uniform, he accepts that he may be buried in it.

As the seconds dragged on I began to fear that I screwed up my message before I notice the cruiser's guns moving. Carefully lining up on their target.

The beach abyssal mini sub, and me twenty meters away.

Then the heavens opened up with thunder and roaring before I black out.

///////

"Please be still alive," Des Moines said as she stumbled as she transition from ship to shipgirl then girl form as she ran up to the beach. She vaulted onto the rocky beach in a single bound before taking off in sprint with with her rigging being dismiss in a cloud of sparks. "Please please, don't die…"

As the heavy cruiser ran up the beach her eyes wonder to where her shells had landed for it wasn't often she personally saw the after effects of a bombardment. The cratered landscaped a tribute to the power of artillery style weapons, even with her just using her secondary five inch guns. Several craters litter the ground where the delayed fused five inch high capacity shells had landed. The very rocks of the beach had turned into a literal meat grinder as the explosive filler sent them flying at near super sonic speeds. Scattered around the craters were the pockmarks from her three inch weapons proximity fuse airbursting shells. The pre-fragmented metal had turned the area into a storm of rocks and hot steel that would shredded any unprotected flesh and bone. A small part of her wonder what would have happen if she cut lose with her eight inch rifles in her short barraged.

All her thoughts swifty derailed as she found her target.

Who was miraculously still alive and slowly pulling himself up to lean against the log that served him so well, wheezing and hacking with every breath.* One hand shakenly shoved off a set of protective glasses and his helmet which broke into two pieces as it landed as his other armed lay limp on the ground. The soldier's good hand began to claw behind a shoulder at his vest. Des Moines footsteps must have alerted him to the shipgirl's presence as she ran up to him since he stopped to look beady in her direction. The black rifle by his side twitched as it was grabbed.

"Who are you?" he ask between coughs. After a particular harsh series of body wracking coughs the soldier turned and spat out a mouthful of blood. Groaning he leaned back and stared at the sky.

"Des Moines," the shipgirl replied tersely as she couch next to him. Looking him over she began to dig into her pockets, "You-No more importantly what can I do to help you?"

"Sergeant Eric Migaron, Ghaagh..." the now identified Eric Migaron said before coughing again. "Bited my cheek…" he groaned, before he looked at her with pained filled eyes. "Unless you got a full doctor suit on you," he slowly started, face screw up in pain as the adrenaline faded away. "there ain't shit you can do that I haven't already did. Besides maybe help me taking this thing off."

"I am a heavy cruiser you know," she said trying to keep him talking as she unsnap buckles on the vests shoulders. "We do have a full surgical suit in us."

"And you the prettiest heavy cruiser I've ever seen," Eric said before sighing in relief as Des Moines took the front part of his plate carrier off. She nearly dropped it as he continued to speak, "Your surgical suit in you right? I'm small but not small enough to go in you…"

Des Moines blushed and sputtered as she set the vest to the side. Before she could say anything Eric gave a violent shiver before groaning.

"Fuck! When did it get so cold?" he moaned trying to curl up. Prompting Des Moines to immediately reached over and lay a hand on his forehead.

"Fuck," she cursed as she reached into her top and yanked out out her corpsman straight from her surgical bay. The fairy gave her a glare as Des Moines set it on her shoulder. Returning it she said, "When I said I needed medical help I mean now and not in five minutes. SO DO YOU FUCKING JOB DOC!"

The fairy give her a look as it gestured at her, holding several medic instruments before replying, "Hey hey, hey!"

"Getting the surgical suit ready?" Des Moines snorted, "Question, how in the flying fuck do we get him in there?"

The Corpsman raise it finger to respond before stopping and glancing at both the shipgirl and soldier before flinching as it realized that it's plan was a busted. It recovered quickly thru, jumping from the shipgirl to the soldier as it be got to work.

"Hey, hey."

"Kinda figured that he was going to shock," the heavy cruiser said pulling the soldier into her lap. "How do I treat it?"

"Hey, hey. Hey."

As she listened to her fairy instructions, Des Moines carefully treated the soldier. Carefully she check the tourniquites to ensure they were on properly before moving on. Slowly she check for other injuries, treated the few that wasn't cover by the tourniquites. As she did this she was aware of the part of her not focused on treating the soldier was screaming into her radio asking where was the medical personnel. Meanwhile Mignaron for his part try to help where he could, but his worsening condition limited what he could do.

Finishing she moved the soldier into a more comfortable position with one arm, while her other pulled out a blanket from her holds. Carefully Des Moines wrapped both the soldier and herself in it to help regulate Mignaron temperature to ward off the shock cause by the amount of blood he lost. For once Des Moines was glad that she ran hot as the soldier wriggled into her looking for warmth.

The smaller soldier slightly blush as his head came to rest on the far larger shipgirl's ample chest. Said cruiser for her part only smirked in slight amusement as she gently rubbed his head in an effect to get him to relax.

"Easy there," she comforted, as she did a small part of Des Moines marvel at how small Mignaron was compared to her as he slowly did relaxed. Continuing she said, "Just relax and save your energy. I'll take care of you till the helicopters arrived. Just focus on your breathing…"

As his eyes closed the soldier muttered a ragged thank you, before stilling with the only movements being his slow breathing. This cause Des to quickly check his pulse electing a frown. The slow and thread pulse with the bluish tint to his lips was not good at all.

Des Moines glance worryingly at her corpsman who return her look.

"Hey," he mutter as he gestured at her arm. Before holding out several tubes and papers.

Des Moines eyes closed in thought before coming to a decision. He might die if she did or will if she didn't. If he does survive she just hoped he'll forgive her.

"Do it corpsman."

////////////////
So I be working on this for awhile. Basically a soldier view of the Abyssal war told thru my eyes.

Last edited:
So are there any Kancolle works that bring up the subject of say, specialist equipment, weapon attachments, or additional weaponry given to kanmusu? It's something I started thinking about after seeing this fanart of Shiranui that Didloaded did a while back.

Had me wondering if perhaps there are ever certain modern modifications made to a shipgirl's rigging or even clothing that can give them an edge in combat.

Had me wondering if perhaps there are ever certain modern modifications made to a shipgirl's rigging or even clothing that can give them an edge in combat.
I know Kant-O-Celle Quest tried it somewhat. There was a scene where Admiral Goto decides to mess with Kongou's sensors by adding a seeker from a Hellfire missile. Somehow it worked and allowed Kongou to see in infrared.

So if you want to give limited modern weapons/sensor systems to a shipgirl, there ain't much stopping you unless you plan to have a Gato fire ADCAPs or give VLS systems to Fusou, which I feel falls more on the "sure, it's cool as hell, but is it really practical if they were a steel hull?" side of things.

So if you want to give limited modern weapons/sensor systems to a shipgirl, there ain't much stopping you unless you plan to have a Gato fire ADCAPs or give VLS systems to Fusou, which I feel falls more on the "sure, it's cool as hell, but is it really practical if they were a steel hull?" side of things.
I don't see why modifying a torpedo system to use ADCAPs is too hard compared to giving shipgirls radar-directed guns or something like that.
Though the VLS I understand - besides the role mismatch, there's also the volatility issue.

I don't see why modifying a torpedo system to use ADCAPs is too hard compared to giving shipgirls radar-directed guns or something like that.

Radar directed guns is (relatively) easy. It involves installing appropriate radars and a fire control computer capable of taking radar inputs.

Fully automated radar fire control is somewhat more difficult. First, it is preferable to have a ship whose main power network is AC. If not, install sufficient motor-generator capacity to convert enough of the power to AC. Next, install radar,a fire control computer capable of sending commands directly to Remote Power Control, then install Remote Power Control on all turrets or mounts the fire control system is intended to control.

Why AC?

Not this is actually a concern for my worldbuilding, as I probably won't be going into too much detail and the girls' Kai-4s probably already use three-phase AC, just curious.
IIRC, AC is so that you can control the turrets using Remote Power Control or something like that. And central control is one of the key components of Radar Master Race hax.

Why AC?

Not this is actually a concern for my worldbuilding, as I probably won't be going into too much detail and the girls' Kai-4s probably already use three-phase AC, just curious.

DC synchros are both less precise and less powerful(given WW2 tech, I can't say for sure about today), making them unsuitable for use in Remote Power Control.

So how do you install that into a person? Through their clothing? I don't know if all of it can just be stuffed into their rigging either.

Back