Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Since the Star Trek threads have sadly been forgotten, I shall post this here! Enjoy a little Dorothy Brahms everyone!

"Ship's Personification's personal log: Stardate 47456.9. The studies of the Meqoria Quasar are proving useful and have provided me with much to do as head Science Officer. Shore leave is planned on Pacifica at the end of this study where I intend to soak up the sun and the sand as the old saying goes. In the meantime, the schools are celebrating a little holiday they call Captain Picard Day. Where each student sends in their own rendering of the captain in the form of some kind of art. He himself will look each peace over and then choose the winner of this contest. A task which I'm sure, 'pleases' him to no end.

"I don't see why we have to do this every year." Picard sighed, his arms crossed as he inspected the table filled with drawings. The wall behind him was also covered in renderings of elementary school art, all in the familiar shape of the famous captain. Beside him stood Councilor Troi and Ship's Personification Dorothy Brahms. Across from them and matching Dorothy's rising amusement was Riker.

"I thought after last year, the teachers agreed they wouldn't do this anymore." Picard sighed, shaking his head in annoyance as he viewed some rather impressive drawings by the youngest children. Dorothy found them to be, quite imaginative and in some cases innovative.

"Captain Picard Day is one of the Children's favorite days." Troi said.

"They're excitement grows each year as it draws near and always look forward to hearing your decision." Dorothy added with a smile. She was well aware of her captain's discomfort around children and took great pleasure out of watching the non-parent's attempts to present the image of geniality that he had asked Riker to ensure he gave when the first officer joined the ship. Dorothy would admit he was getting better but there were still those times, like now.

"But why does it have to be me?" Picard sighed, holding up a cut out image of himself, hand drawn and colored in a Starfleet uniform. He shook his head and went back to examining the art, trying to ignore Dorothy as she hid a snicker.

"I think that's cute." The ship's personification said as she crossed her arms and continued to watch her captain, leaning back against the wall.

"And besides, you're the captain. They look up to you." Troi said. "You're a roll model for them."

"Well, they seem to have an exaggerated idea of me." Picard snorted as he showed Riker a drawing made by a kid from one of the lower decks. The colors were right but Picard had the beefed up look more akin to the old earth's superman than a real human.

Riker couldn't hide his grin. He picked up a clay model of Picard, holding up to his mouth. "Oh I don't know." He lowered his voice so it closer matched the captain's, clearly teasing. "I think it's a rather accurate representation, number 1."

Dorothy put a hand up to her mouth to stifle her giggles but that didn't stop them from coming. And her shaking shoulders practically gave her away anyways.

Shooting a glare at her, Picard turned back to Riker and fixed the first officer with a hard but slightly resigned look. "Isn't there something else you could be doing?" He asked.

"I'll be on the bridge." Riker's voice was tight as he worked to keep imitating Picard without bursting into laughter. He stood at attention, tucked the clay doll under his arm and started to leave.

"Will." Troi called after him.

When Riker turned around he saw Picard standing there with his arms crossed, clearly annoyed at the hazing but unable to do a damn thing about it. Troi and Dorothy both were trying and failing to hide their smiles. Riker gave them both a conspiratorial grin and gently set the doll back on the table right the way it was before. Then he left.

"Captain, incoming message coming from Admiral Blackwell. It is coded priority one." Worf's voice was much like the age old adage "saved by the bell" and Picard couldn't hide his relief even if he tried. He gave a nod to the other two officers and Troi and Dorothy filed out quietly.

Dorothy took her place on the bridge at the science console, taking a few seconds to re familiarize herself with her display before resuming her work.

It was a couple of minutes after that Picard stepped onto the bridge, immediately ordering a course change. Dorothy was used to the unexpected by now. She might even consider it routine. It was just part of being an Enterprise. She watched him take his seat as the ensign at the help followed his instructions with typical efficiency. Even so, her concern was raised at seeing his tension. She bit her lip as she turned back around to her console. "Well, this is about to get interesting." She mused quietly.

The rendezvous with the Crazy Horse had been too quick to allow much chit chat. All Dorothy was able to get from Carol, the Crazy Horse's personification, was that an Admiral Pressman was coming on board with orders from Starfleet Intelligence. It did absolutely nothing to ease Dorothy's concerns in fact it only heightened them. Anything coming from intelligence was bound to be trouble, whether it was more trouble than it was worth remained to be seen. She joined Picard, and Pressman in the conference room. The Admiral conducted the briefing.

"As you know, the starship Pegasus was lost in this sector some 12 years ago along with most of her crew. I was her captain and Riker was my helmsman." He began.

"I remember hearing about that." Dorothy sat at her captain's left side, her eyes fixed on Pressman. "Official reports indicated a warp core breach. But if that was really true, then you wouldn't be here."

"That is correct Lieutenant. The Pegasus was testing new technologies for the Federation. Not even I know for certain how or why she was lost. I and Will were in an escape pod at the time. We watched as my ship simply blew up in front of us. At least that's what we believed, until now." Pressman said.

"If she is lying somewhere in this sector, we'll find her." Picard said.

"But we better do it soon." Dorothy cut in. "It's likely the Romulans already have a ship in the area if not on the way."

"Agreed. Speed is critical but we'll still need to be cautious. We don't know why the Pegasus disappeared and I'd rather not trigger a second calamity." Pressman said but Dorothy had the sense that he wasn't entirely honest.

"You have anything to add Commander?" She asked Riker.

Riker blinked as if he was a bit startled at being addressed. Dorothy wasn't blind to how Pressman leaned in slightly, his blue gaze fixed on him. If he had any less discipline, Dorothy figured Riker would be squirming in his seat. "No, nothing." He replied.

But Dorothy wasn't convinced. The Admiral knew or at least had some suspicion about what happened to the Pegasus 12 years ago and Riker knew too. She alleviated her concerns by convincing herself that if it was something serious, he would voice it.

The Enterprise had to even start her search when she came into contact with a Romulan warbird. The warbird instantly took on an aggressive stance, its weapons locked on the larger Federation ship. Dorothy rose from her science station, moving to stand next to Worf, taking the console next to him. If that warbird made one wrong move, they'd blast it straight to hell. As she readied phasers, Dorothy heard a distinctive beep that indicated communications were trying to be established. "Captain, they are hailing us." She said.

If Picard was surprised by this, he didn't show it. "Onscreen." He ordered. Dorothy hit the appropriate button and the warbird's bridge came up on the main viewer.

"I am Commander Serolle of the Romulan vessel Terix." The commander seemed cool. Too cool. Too relaxed. His attitude was one of a man knowing he had complete control of the situation. Dorothy had always hated that attitude and she focused all the more intently on her console, blocking out his words.

Once the commander had finished and the warbird was on its way, the Enterprise resumed her original course. Dorothy returned to her station, shutting down the display showing her the latest results of the Quaser before they left it behind. She reconfigured her station to scan for the Pegasus' signature. If that ship was out there, then the Enterprise would find her. "And be damned if the Romulans are about." She thought viciously.

"Got it!" Dorothy's victorious cry sounded across the bridge a few hours later.

Picard came around to her console. "What do you have?" He asked.

"There's a subspace resonance signature coming from that asteroid." She enhanced the display until it showed merely the highlighted asteroid and the immediate surrounding area. "It matches that of a Federation starship. It could be the Pegasus."

"Far more likely that it is." Picard muttered. "Well done Lieutenant. Helm, set a course for that asteroid, ahead 1/4 impulse."

With the warbird still around, the Enterprise was forced to ignore the asteroid although she left it soaked in an ionization field. Everyone held their breath as the warbird made a thorough search of the asteroid. It was fortunate that they seemingly ignored it and returned to their own sector.

The asteroid was huge. Now that Dorothy had a chance to get a better look at it. The recommendations for a transporter and a shuttlecraft were both turned down. It was too risky to beam through that much solid rock and the asteroid's sheer bulk meant that the gravitational affects on a shuttle could be fatal. There was only one option, Dorothy knew this. But it still shocked her to hear Pressman say it.

"Sounds like the best solution is to take the Enterprise in." He said. "Put that fissure on the main viewer." They all turned to face the display. "This caysm is large enough for us to maneuver in. Besides if we ever hope to salvage the Pegasus we're gonna need a starship to do it."

Picard frowned. "Miss Brahms?"

Dorothy faced her captain with a sigh. "It is possible sir." She replied. "I wouldn't recommend it but if you say so, I can do manage."

"You're going to have to do more than that lieutenant." Pressman said. "Now can you or can't you get in there?"

"You said yourself the caysm is big enough." She replied. "If there's a chance we can salvage the Pegasus we should try it."

Secretly Dorothy was excited, despite Picard's objections, to enter so deeply into a planetary body. No starship had done this before, she was the first. "Boldly going indeed." She thought, keeping a close eye on the viewscreen.

The Enterprise rounded a corner and sure enough, there was the Pegasus. Dorothy could see at once that something was wrong and her earlier suspicions were given a boost. "She materialized inside a rock. That shouldn't happen." She said.

"Captain, the equipment that we need was in main engineering." Pressman said. "Can you scan that section and report its status?"

"The starboard bulkhead is contained within the asteroid. The rest of the ship appears intact however." Data reported.

"See if you can restore life support to that area. Commander Riker and I will beam down."

Worf extended the shields, encasing the Pegasus in a protective environment far more friendly than the deep space she'd been living in.

"Can you scan for life signs?" Dorothy asked. As long as the hull still existed, the personification should as well but this was a unique case and a long shot at best.

"I cannot confirm but there seems to be, one lifeform aboard." Worf reported.

"Captain, Admiral request permission to join the away team." Dorothy asked.

"Granted." Picard immediately replied. Pressman started to object but Picard put him down. "If Petra is still down there, then Dorothy is the best choice to accompany you."

"Very well as long as she promises not to breathe a word of what she sees." "Of course Admiral." "Come with us Lieutenant." Dorothy followed them off the bridge and to the transporter room.

"Energize."

While Riker and Pressman explored engineering, Dorothy took advantage of her ability to survive the vacuum of space and left them to it. The lifeform reading came from the forward part of the ship anyways so she navigated her way towards the bridge. Like the rest of the ship, the vacuum had created near perfect preservation. Most of the people she found looked as though they were simply asleep, not 12 year old corpses. Forcing open the bridge doors, she held her tricorder in front of her, scanning each body for life signs. There was only one that registered and it was very faint. It belonged to a seemingly young looking girl with short blond hair. She wore a blue uniform, same as Dorothy's. It was Petra, Pegasus. Dorothy set the tricorder aside as she knelt beside her. Petra was curled up under the science station. How long she'd lain there was anybody's guess.

"Petra?" Dorothy gently shook the girl's shoulder. "Petra can you hear me?"

A few more tries gave her the same result and Dorothy sighed as she realized the folly of her efforts. The Pegasus had been powered down for too long. Unless some miracle occurred and she was returned to Starfleet and repaired, Petra would never wake. She would remain in this dream state forever. Dorothy sighed, resting her head in her arms. As she observed Petra through her half closed eyelids something strange happened. The girl's legs shimmered as though they were phasing out of existence and then they readjusted themselves as though nothing had occurred. But it did and it got Dorothy's attention. Because she had seen this effect before. She'd only seen glimpses of it, and always at the end of a transmission with a Romulan vessel. She never gave it much thought before but it was significant now because it always happened right before the warbird cloaked. "That's what you were testing." She whispered.

It made almost too much sense. The Federation had been banned from pursuing cloaking technology for over 50 years. It put Starfleet at a severe disadvantage when facing down Romulans. Pegasus' experiments could've changed all that. No wonder Starfleet Intelligence wanted this kept under wraps. It could've easily started a war. Dorothy could understand Pegasus' intentions. In some ways, she agreed with them. The Federation had been kept out of the fight for too long and that damned treaty was to blame! Even so, it didn't change the facts. Regardless of how Dorothy felt, Petra still broke the rules. Her experiments threatened war with the Romulans. Something that Dorothy was keen to avoid if she could help it. Despite how often she did it, she didn't find that taking disruptor hits was all that fun.

Dorothy rose, brushing off her uniform and picked up her tricorder. "I better go see what's going on in engineering." She said, her voice echoing in the silent room. "I can't let that cloaking device jeopardize the peace. I'm sorry, Petra." Her voice shook and she swallowed her tongue twice. Just who was she speaking to. The dead officers, who gave their lives trying to stop this from happening. Or to Petra who was convinced it would do some good for the Federation. Level a playing field that had been uneven for so long. Dorothy wasn't sure and she wasn't sure she wanted to answer that. Either one was too hard for her to think about right now. With one final look around the room, she left through the doors.

She arrived just as the Pegasus shook. "That sounded like a rockfall." Dorothy said.

"Did you find Petra?" Riker asked. There was something in his voice that told Dorothy she'd walked in on something previously in progress. Something rather charged and unfinished. She looked at Pressman to see him pick up a large cylinder. Her eyes widened. "Is that the..." "Not one word Lieutenant." He ordered and she nodded briskly. "Yes sir." She replied. "And I did find her, Riker. She's not in a state to be recovered." "I'm sorry." Riker truly did sound sympathetic. She gave a nod to show she appreciated that. "Brahms to Enterprise, 3 plus one object to beam up."

Stepping onto the bridge, she saw the opening which the Enterprise had come through was closed. "What happened?" She demanded.

"The Romulans have used their disruptors to close the cavern. They've sealed us in." Picard replied.

"Incoming transmission from the warbird." Worf said.

"Let's hear it." Picard sighed as Dorothy came around to stand beside him, her hands balled into fists. She did not appreciate being trapped. Not one bit!

"Captain," Serolle's voice was just dripping with mockery. "You seem to be in an unfortunate situation."

"Are you responsible for this?" Picard demanded to know.

"I don't know."

"What do you want Commander?" Dorothy growled, moving to the center of the screen.

"Your complete and unconditional surrender for one thing. And then, hmm. I'm sure I can find a way to dig you out." He replied.

"Why you insufferable, pointy eared..."

"Dorothy." Picard warned, putting a hand on her shoulder but she shook him off angrily.

"I will not take orders from you, nor will I surrender." She hissed. In a quieter but no less stern voice she added "we'll see who's gloating later."

The communications were terminated. "Lieutenant that was unwise." Picard said.

"Captain, if we agree they'll just come back later and get their hands on both ships." She replied.

"Alright. Options." Picard sighed.

"We could use the phasers to cut our way out." Worf suggested.

"No, the asteroid's too unstable. It might just bring the whole thing down on us." Dorothy replied. "And I, for one, am not in the mood to get crushed." She paused, eyeing the device sitting so prettily next to Pressman. "There is, another option."

"Dorothy." Pressman warned. She ignored him. "We could use that." She pointed at it.

"And what is that exactly?" Picard asked.

Dorothy hesitated, torn between her duty to follow orders and her duty to her crew. To keep them alive and this device may very well be the key to that. But at the same time, she had reservations and rightly so. The technology was basically untested. Petra had tried to use it and the results were clear to see. What happened to the Pegasus could easily happen to the Enterprise if they were not careful. But if there was one thing Dorothy had learned from Picard it was that he never played it safe. So neither would she.

Before she could answer, Riker beat her to it. "That is a prototype for a interphasic cloaking device." He said. Dorothy looked at him, seeing the relief on his face first thing. There was a tension that had existed in his shoulders since the start of this mission that suddenly wasn't present. "How long had you been holding this in, Commander?" She wondered silently.

Pressman wasn't amused. "You just destroyed your career, Will." He said.

While the Admiral was not amused, for Picard it was a revelation. "So this is what it's about. A cloaking device, a violation of the Treaty of Algeron that the Federation signed in good faith!"

"That Treaty has done nothing but compromise our ability to effectively fight the Romulans!" Pressman shot back.

Dorothy couldn't resist jumping in. "I agree with the Admiral on this, captain. Algeron has been a continuous thorn in Starfleet's side since it was first made." She said. "However, this cloaking device may be our only way out of here."

"Mr. Data?" Picard turned to his second officer.

"If we could modify it to our systems, it should work." Data replied.

"Then make it so!"

Dorothy joined Data and Geordie in engineering as they installed the cloaking device.

"It's integrated into our systems captain, but you need to watch the inter-coolant levels." Geordie warned. "If they get too high, we'll blow the entire relay system."

"Understood."

"That must've been what happened to Petra." Dorothy whispered. She could only hope the same thing wouldn't happen to her. She took a seat next to Geordie. "You know Geordie, I'm all for trying new things. But this, has me nervous."

"Dorothy," He looked at her seriously. "If you weren't nervous, then I'd be afraid."

"Stand by to engage cloak."

"Cloaking device, engage."

Dorothy's whole body shimmered as the cloak came online. She phased just as Petra had only this time, the Galaxy-class' whole body rippled. She held up a had, watching the phase happen. "Fascinating." was all she said. A raised eyebrow from Geordie was the chief engineer's only reply.

"Cloaking successful." He reported as Dorothy appeared solid again and gave him a nod.

"Very well, proceed."

Dorothy held her breath as the 5 second countdown began. 5 seconds might not seem like much but for her, it was an eternity. She would find out at the end of that if the cloak really worked. If it didn't, this was going to be the shortest trip under cloak in starfleet history.

She breathed a little easier as the Enterprise passed through the inner wall of the asteroid with no incident. "Passed through 2 kilometers of rock. 1 kilometer to the surface." She said. Inwardly, she was praying to whatever higher power was out here. "Please let this work. Please let this hold together. Please don't let me re-materialize inside solid rock." She was lucky to emerge on the other side in perfect condition. The warbird was just off the Enterprise's port bow and Dorothy phased again as she deactivated the cloak and became visible. The captain sent his message to Serolle, Dorothy sent her own to Terix. It read simply "Nice tech. Thanks for sharing. Have a good day." No she did not regret it. And like hell she would. Even though it would only last a short time as inevitably the cloak would be taken away from her as soon as she reached a starbase, it felt beyond good to stick it to the Romulans for once. And with their own technology no less!

Mangadex has several new KanColle series uploaded.

There's a compilation of Kahasina's works, including A Kind Hell/A Gentle Hell which I posted about earlier in this thread.

Another interesting one is Hanabusa Satoshi Assorted Works. There are three stories at this time: the little carriers' Valentine's Day, Kumano and Suzuya got chibified, and Shigure and Yamashiro takes a walk together.

So, this is my second "Countryballs get summoned in the Kantai-verse" snippet.

~*~​

It's been a few days, since Yokosuka's newest residents arrived over here.

A few shipgirls sat in the canteen, sparse on these types of afternoons. Technically on duty, but with no sorties to sortie in, or paperwork to fill.

Kongou was sipping tea and enjoying the cloudless day, the presence of friends, and an exceptional cup of Earl Grey. She really must thank Haruna for the brew, her brewing skills have certainly advanced far since she first got used to having hands.

Sitting across was the loud and proud New Jersey. Who was currently very distracted, constantly looking from her own cup, to the table after the table next to theirs.

"Something bothering you, Jersey-san?"

The Iowa-class jumped and looked back, as if she'd forgotten that she wasn't alone.

"Oh, um, yeah, kind of." she said, scratching her head." You know the new arrivals that were just summoned the other day?"

"You mean those cute little nation-balls?"

"Yeeeeaah... Here's something I don't get: Why balls?" she asked, looking back.

On that table, sat Akizuki, Tashkent, Jervis, Lebe, and Libeccio, each having "ball" of their respective countries on their lap.

"Ital, ital…" Italyball said.

"Aww, it's so cute! Like a an oversized talking meatball!" squealed Libeccio.

"Italien, stop zat!" Germanyball admonished. "We are of respectable European countries, and so we are of speaking in clear, rational language."

Lebe pinched Germanyball's side.

"Ah! Frau Leberecht Maass, pinching is not proper behavior for ein proud destrooyer of ze Fatherland!"

Pinch.

"Gah!"

"Truly, it is a mystery… But then again, we Shipgirls are also quite the enigma, eh?" Kongou was content to conclude, pouring herself a new cup of tea.

*THUMP*

"Bu-But I still don't understand… Why are they balls, while we're girls? What's the logic, the rea-AARGH, my brain!"

Jersey clutched her head as it rolled around on the tabletop.

"… Jersey-chan, you dropped your teacup."

*Angrily confused battleship noises*

*Sigh*

MEANWHILE, AT THE DESTROYER'S TABLE…

"Umm, 'zuki, you've given Japan most of your lunch..."

Akizuki blinked, and looked down. Japanball was stuffed with rice and tempura, making it look like a balloon stuffed with flab.

"Ah!"

She stood up, placed Japanball down, then bowed repeatedly to it.

"Gomennasai! I couldn't make myself stop!"

"Is okay, Akizuki-san." Japanball managed to say. It then made a movement that looks almost like a bow, but all it's extra mass made it so that it could only shift a little to the front, and downwards.

"Forget about Japan, what about you? You've barely eaten anything. And we're already eating a late lunch. Aren't you starving?" Jervis asked.

Akizuki cheerfully shook her head.

"It's okay! I don't really need that much food, anyways! I need to reserve what we have for the homeland, after all." she said, squeezing Japanball like a stuffed toy.

Her stomach then made a deep, rumbling sound. It was the sound that whales made only during their most secret and sacred of magical rites, a song no ordinary humans knew, and only a handful of nonhumans have ever heard.

It was the sound the earth made, when mother Gaia tossed and turned in her sacred Earth-sleep. When the plates moved and the ground shook, and liquid earth came seeping out from below.

It was the sound dread Cthulu made, as it slept deep beneath the impossible city, ready to wake and make all our great works nought.

The other destroyers just looked amongst each other.

Carrying Akizuki, they personally force-fed her one of every item served by the canteen.

Last edited:
I'm currently pondering a Shipgirl Quest taking place in a semi-original world that I'm working on. It's in the draft and planning phases, but if I put work into it, I should be able to get it running within a week or two.

Quest Idea: The grimderpgrimmest world

Pearl Harbor burns. Its defenders, defeated through a surprising weight of numbers, sit at the bottom of the lagoon. They are not alone.

Norfolk, San Diego, Great Lakes, Bremerton, Devonport, Portsmouth, Toulon, Brest, Rostock, Yokosuka, Halifax, Sydney, Devonport, Singapore, Qingdao, Sevastapool, Vladivostok, and many other naval ports, bases, and yards of varying importance also burn, in a decapitation strike of unparalleled scope.

The butcher's bill, military and civilian, remains uncounted. The losses, especially the shelled and bombed shipyards and skilled sailors and officers, are near-irreplacable. And yet, some hope remains.

Seabees and their international equivalents work alongside civilian construction companies to repair the damaged ports and yards. Ships, those safe at sea, return to guard the destroyed ports. Anti-ship missile batteries and mines deploy along coastlines to deter any attack. New weapons, designed for a new era of surface warfare, enter rushed design and high rate initial production. And a new generation of commanders rise up to tackle this next war's problems. No, you are not one of them.

Finally, there's you, the Kanmusu. You are the foil to this new threat.

Basically, you are a shipgirl in the middle of the Abyssal War. Not the most original of ideas. However, in this world, conventional forces work. Sort of. There's more interaction between Special (i.e. Bote) and conventional forces. This idea takes inspiration from Greatest Generations, Kant-o-Celle, Belated Battleships, Eternity, Destiny, and a few others.

Thoughts?

(This was also posted in the SB Thread That Must Not Be Used)

I'm currently pondering a Shipgirl Quest taking place in a semi-original world that I'm working on. It's in the draft and planning phases, but if I put work into it, I should be able to get it running within a week or two.

Quest Idea: The grimderpgrimmest world

Pearl Harbor burns. Its defenders, defeated through a surprising weight of numbers, sit at the bottom of the lagoon. They are not alone.

Norfolk, San Diego, Great Lakes, Bremerton, Devonport, Portsmouth, Toulon, Brest, Rostock, Yokosuka, Halifax, Sydney, Devonport, Singapore, Qingdao, Sevastapool, Vladivostok, and many other naval ports, bases, and yards of varying importance also burn, in a decapitation strike of unparalleled scope.

The butcher's bill, military and civilian, remains uncounted. The losses, especially the shelled and bombed shipyards and skilled sailors and officers, are near-irreplacable. And yet, some hope remains.

Seabees and their international equivalents work alongside civilian construction companies to repair the damaged ports and yards. Ships, those safe at sea, return to guard the destroyed ports. Anti-ship missile batteries and mines deploy along coastlines to deter any attack. New weapons, designed for a new era of surface warfare, enter rushed design and high rate initial production. And a new generation of commanders rise up to tackle this next war's problems. No, you are not one of them.

Finally, there's you, the Kanmusu. You are the foil to this new threat.

Basically, you are a shipgirl in the middle of the Abyssal War. Not the most original of ideas. However, in this world, conventional forces work. Sort of. There's more interaction between Special (i.e. Bote) and conventional forces. This idea takes inspiration from Greatest Generations, Kant-o-Celle, Belated Battleships, Eternity, Destiny, and a few others.

Thoughts?

(This was also posted in the SB Thread That Must Not Be Used)

Interesting. It will depend on the class and nationality of the shipgirl involved.

Interesting. It will depend on the class and nationality of the shipgirl involved.
Up for choice.

First arc is tutorial arc/chargen arc. In order, I think I'll go through difficulty selection and world generation (there's a few options that you can take to make the quest interesting in the old chinese proverbial/Lord K sense), character selection, and trait selection.

Where, then who, where who is virtually unrestricted and write-in. I expect a few people to show up, but I'm hoping for vigorous arguments over character concept.

If there's interest, I can try to finish and post a couple more previews based off of my notes later today.

So, this is the new KanColle official comic, released on Comic Walker.

Naval Base Survey Team, At Your Service!, by nobuyoshi-zamurai.

艦隊これくしょん -艦これ- お役立ち! 鎮守府調査隊

(it's an official release so I hope there's no problems)

Click the big red button to read. It's not translated yet, but it has Musashi filling the crazy-awesome-badass role and Makigumo and Okinami, both of which are rarely-seen characters so that's interesting at least. From what I've seen it's similar in tone to choufu shimin's comics.

If there's interest, I can try to finish and post a couple more previews based off of my notes later today.

(⁄ ⁄>⁄ ▽ ⁄<⁄ ⁄)

While I continue setup (Let's build an RPG for shipgirls and naval combat!), here's a few snippets from my notes:

DRAFT (Internal?) Combat Resolution Outline

A Brief Summary of Naval Combat with Guns:

1. Acquire Targeting Data
a. Bearing (Easy)
b. Range (Hard)
c. Direction (Medium)
d. Speed (Medium)
2. Predict movement
3. Calculate Firing Solution
4. Aim Weapons
5. Fire
6. Determine number of hits
7. Determine damage

DRAFT Example Character Votes

[K] Plan Momboat
-[K][NAME] Esther Thomson
-[K][SHIP] HMS Dreadnought
-[K][APPEARANCE] (TBD)

[K] Plan Cooking with Sacramento
-[K][SUMMON] Summon
-[K][SHIP] USS Sacramento (AOE-1)
-[K][APPEARANCE]

[K] Plan The Warrior
-[K][NAME] Anna Sanchez
-[K][SUMMON] Natural Born
-[K][SHIP] USS Komandorski Islands (CVB-50)
-[K][APPEARANCE]

[K] Plan CloudFloof
-[K][SUMMON] Summon
-[K][SHIP] USS Akron (ZRS-4)
-[K][APPEARANCE] (TBD)

[K] Plan 8x 16" Salvoes of CC Bullying
-[K][SUMMON] Summon
-[K][SHIP] USS Saratoga (CC-3)
-[K][APPEARANCE] (TBD)

[Lord K] Plan Legendary Infernal Ironman Kaizo Nuzlocke Mode
-[K][SUMMON] Summon
-[K][SHIP] USS Solomon Seas (CVB-44)
-[K][APPEARANCE] (TBD)

DRAFT World Options

[][OPTION] Phoenix Mode
In-battle revival freely available†. Ha! No.

[][OPTION] Repair Buckets Unavailable
No repair buckets exist. Automatically taken for all difficulties above Normal.

[][OPTION] DesDiv6
All posts will be Destroyer Safe™ and Momboat Approved™. This mostly means no swearing, under pain of 14cm/50.

[][OPTION] Slice of Life
The focus of the quest is on interpersonal relations. I start panicking because I have no experience writing slice of life.

[][OPTION] Ships With Shining Souls
Everyone becomes Magical Girls. I make the magical girl parallels more obvious.

If you have range and bearing, you have direction and speed. I don't think you need to separate the two.

If you have range and bearing, you have direction and speed. I don't think you need to separate the two.
Actually you do need speed. Cause even a ship going at a slow 15 knots is going to be over 100 feet in front of where you aimed at if you just pointed at the ship and pull trigger.

Cause shell travel time is measured in SECONDs. And most ships are going 20-30 knots so you ARE going to need to lead the target or you shells are going to land behind.

Fixed in my notes.

... I guess Direction and Speed is literally "predict movement".

Actually you do need speed. Cause even a ship going at a slow 15 knots is going to be over 100 feet in front of where you aimed at if you just pointed at the ship and pull trigger.

Cause shell travel time is measured in SECONDs. And most ships are going 20-30 knots so you ARE going to need to lead the target or you shells are going to land behind.
Actually, both of you are right. Mechanical ball and cylinder integrators and differentiators allow automatic derivation of this, and more accurately than human vision. The Ford Mk 1A only required range and bearing, and for AA fire, altitude. But without a semi-competent computer? I hope you have a good eye.

---
The full non-outline version, which needs a bit more editing, incorporates the other electro-mechanical fiddly bits that I'll use behind the scenes. I probably won't publish those for a while, but once complete, they will cover everything from Harpoon launches to torpedo runs to the Radar Master Race – in short, everything needed to run a KanColle RP.

If you have two ranges, two bearings, and the time between the two, do you know what you have?

That's right, speed and direction of movement.

If you have two ranges, two bearings, and the time between the two, do you know what you have?

That's right, speed and direction of movement.
And please tell me where you are going to be getting an accurate second range and bearings on a MOVING SHIP?

Cause to pull that tick off with while moving will throw you calculations out of wack so you will miss. To pull that trick off you need to be both stationary and time, a few minutes worth.

Which is why the Navies never used it.

A RN officer in the Med figure out that its faster and easier to just find the range and bearing and fire several times two see where the shells hit. Hit far shorten leads, hit short lengthen the lead a bit and just walk it in. This is also why battleships did half salvos and not full, all turrets will fire one gun then you correct off of that before firing the other guns where rinse and repeat til the target out of range, you out of ammo or sunk. Later when radar became a thing you could then reliably find the speed.

Its quit telling that the Iowa fire control computers had a selector for inputting "TARGET SPEED".
Literally here's the Alabama's FCS console.
Which is the same model as found on the Iowas but calibrated for the 16'/45.
Seriously this shit is my day job in the army, I have to do this every single bloody time I go out into the field. Which is monthly, I know my shit.

While you way is good for when you are hidden in a bush and about to ambush someone with surprise arty. In the ocean with you both moving it becomes extremely hard to do with any reliability or speed.

What is "ballistics geometry" for $600?

Seriously. It's so simple, tanks can do it. Without a fire control computer.

but usually using "Kentucky windage" :p

now seriously, range you need, or at least a close guestimate there of
speed estimate
direction of travel,

Riflemen do this with moving targets, its called vector calculus to the high browed, we southerners just call it trap shooting :)

A tank rarely has to shot further then 1000 meters. With the speed of tank shells you can train to lead the target not unlike how you can do similar with rifles. Cause it may has well be point and shot since the flight time of the bullet is measure in millisecs to half a sec at most.

And most of the time tanks are stationary, makes it a whole lot easier.

Once you and you target moving suddenly you have to compensated for you movement and the targets.

Add in a long hang time?

There was a really good reason why the USN and Army dump large chunks of their budgets, together at that, in computerizing fire control.

Cause doing it by hand opens up to far too many errors and takes far too long to be useful.

Also that before adding in wind speed, muzzle velocity, air density, three different effects, and like ten other things I forgot that you need to do to put a shell down range and hit you target.

Last edited:
And please tell me where you are going to be getting an accurate second range and bearings on a MOVING SHIP?

Navies had purpose built optical rangefinders for exactly that purpose.

A RN officer in the Med figure out that its faster and easier to just find the range and bearing and fire several times two see where the shells hit. Hit far shorten leads, hit short lengthen the lead a bit and just walk it in. This is also why battleships did half salvos and not full, all turrets will fire one gun then you correct off of that before firing the other guns where rinse and repeat til the target out of range, you out of ammo or sunk. Later when radar became a thing you could then reliably find the speed.

That was more for range than speed. Speed is rather easy to guesstimate by the size of the wake, smoke coming out of the stack, and other such visual cues alongside intelligence on the enemy's speeds. Radar helped a lot, but again it was mostly to allow us to get the range much faster and more accurately.

but usually using "Kentucky windage"

Far, far more complex than using a rifle, though the basic principle is close. Straddle shots long and short to get the range, then keep pounding away.

Look, it's definitely far more complex than shooting on land and the hit percentages were much less -- 16% hit rate is phenomenal shooting before radar assist -- but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Last edited:
There used to be a doctrine called "ranging fire."

Fire until you have the range figured out. Overestimate, then adjust. If you're short, make another amendment. Until you straddle the target.

Also, tanks haven't stopped to fire at each other for about 6 or 7 decades now.

Last edited:
I also noticed the Kancolle Reddit has been dying out. Maybe they went to Discord after that. I think the Shibafu-gate have convinced many to defect to Azur Lane.

And speaking of Kancolle again, I have an idea of a fanfiction where the Japanese shipgirls had to fight not Abyssals, but shipgirls from other navies.

I also noticed the Kancolle Reddit has been dying out. Maybe they went to Discord after that. I think the Shibafu-gate have convinced many to defect to Azur Lane.

And speaking of Kancolle again, I have an idea of a fanfiction where the Japanese shipgirls had to fight not Abyssals, but shipgirls from other navies.
Basically, cuter version of Uber?

Back