Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

(Frankly, I find it absurd the notion that a declaration of war delivered 30 minutes before an obviously intended surprise attack rather than two hours later is anything more than an imaginary line between honorable and dishonorable but Yamamoto believed in it and girls like Nagato and proud Kaga tend to be seen as sharing it.)
Uh, just to point out that is a myth, there was no declaration of war until the next morning. What the Japanese did do just before the attack was send a message that they were breaking off negotiations with the Americans and that was it. And the plan for Pearl Harbor was all Yamamoto as the IJN needed a "Win" against the IJA politically hence why they tried to perform the biggest blow that they could, though he did understand that US was going to be a tough fight. As an aside though, the Japanese shipgirls could point out that the war was inevitable on the side of the Americans due to them doing everything possible to kick one off without firing the first shot. See the embargoes that the US put Japan under during the late 1930s and how during negotiations, they stated that there would be no serious ones until Japan left mainland China entirely. Not pull back to where they were before they kicked off the current fighting, but outright stating that they needed to pull back to the Japanese islands and Korea entirely before they would even start negotiating an end to the embargoes.

It could also go back a bit further if you wanted in some ways such as how the US used the WNT as a way to break England and Japan apart, up to actually spying on the Japanese diplomats to determine how far they could push it. As well to the Russo-Japanese War and its aftermath. Long story short, due to the war Japan was nearly broke and had a lot of young men killed and were looking for reparations from Russia for the war. And by normal methods, they should have gotten such for it. But the US was the Neutral Party in charge of deciding what would happen and, because now Japan looked like a possible rival, declared that Russia did not need to give up any funds and such. You can imagine how well that went down in Japan...

Uh, just to point out that is a myth, there was no declaration of war until the next morning. What the Japanese did do just before the attack was send a message that they were breaking off negotiations with the Americans and that was it. And the plan for Pearl Harbor was all Yamamoto as the IJN needed a "Win" against the IJA politically hence why they tried to perform the biggest blow that they could, though he did understand that US was going to be a tough fight. As an aside though, the Japanese shipgirls could point out that the war was inevitable on the side of the Americans due to them doing everything possible to kick one off without firing the first shot. See the embargoes that the US put Japan under during the late 1930s and how during negotiations, they stated that there would be no serious ones until Japan left mainland China entirely. Not pull back to where they were before they kicked off the current fighting, but outright stating that they needed to pull back to the Japanese islands and Korea entirely before they would even start negotiating an end to the embargoes.

It could also go back a bit further if you wanted in some ways such as how the US used the WNT as a way to break England and Japan apart, up to actually spying on the Japanese diplomats to determine how far they could push it. As well to the Russo-Japanese War and its aftermath. Long story short, due to the war Japan was nearly broke and had a lot of young men killed and were looking for reparations from Russia for the war. And by normal methods, they should have gotten such for it. But the US was the Neutral Party in charge of deciding what would happen and, because now Japan looked like a possible rival, declared that Russia did not need to give up any funds and such. You can imagine how well that went down in Japan...

Fair enough. I NEVER said that there were not legitimate grievances against American behavior. I was, however, trying to reflect Yamamoto's personal dismay. "One should never attack a sleeping enemy. Kick him awake and give him a sword." is a quote attributed to him about how the "Breaking off of relations" and the carrying out of the attack went. I don't mind being corrected.

If I rob someone's wallet my crime won't be erased just because someone else had stabbed that same person.
When said pickpocket stops two (could have been three but Italy was just fucking useless) mass murderers, the pickpocketing would generally be seen as a non-issue.

Are you suggesting that the Allies took actions comparable to the Holocaust or the various war crimes committed in China?
I don't think anyone is saying that. Just that we shouldn't ignore the morally questionable actions of the Allies just because the Axis did something worse.

I can have issues with the Japanese internment camps and the rape of German women by Soviet soldiers while condemning the Holocaust.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I NEVER said that there were not legitimate grievances against American behavior. I was, however, trying to reflect Yamamoto's personal dismay. "One should never attack a sleeping enemy. Kick him awake and give him a sword." is a quote attributed to him about how the "Breaking off of relations" and the carrying out of the attack went. I don't mind being corrected.
Yes, Yamamoto did not want to attack the US, but at the same time he planned for it and went through the attack because he wanted to steal a march politically on the IJA due to their successes in China. One needs to remember that there was a big rivalry between the IJA and IJN after all.

Yes, Yamamoto did not want to attack the US, but at the same time he planned for it and went through the attack because he wanted to steal a march politically on the IJA due to their successes in China. One needs to remember that there was a big rivalry between the IJA and IJN after all.

Just that if their very much beloved Admiral was left with feelings of being a bit dishonored due to how the precise events turned out all because of a security clearance and a bad typist, that his ships may well reflect similar emotions although against America they were doing their best in a war for survival as they knew it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit heavy. So we've had plenty of stories, and plenty of moments in stories, where the Axis shipgirls confront the infamous legacy of their country's past. This is most common with the German and Japanese shipgirls (for obvious reasons), but I also recall having read a snippet where Roma winces when she hears Libeccio describe a fascist monument built during Franco's reign as "cool".

How about the same exact thing, except with Allied shipgirls instead? Or are there already fics like this?

Like, for example, the Royal Navy and Marine Nationale girls encountering reminders or remnants of the legacy of Empire, and/or of both European Empire's efforts to keep their colonies after winning WWII, a supposedly "good" war that was fought to "stop tyranny and oppression".

What about the American shipgirls and all the skeevy shit that the CIA pulled during the Cold War, mostly in third-world countries, subverting democratic process for the "sake of democracy" (you could argue that the navy and the intelligence services are two distinct groups, but the victims aren't likely to care about that. The Holocaust and Unit 731 were mainly perpetuated by a ground paramilitary and an Army, respectively, not any Navy, and yet we almost never see the shipgirls in fanworks dismiss them in that way).

I'm not trying to tear down the Allied Nations Shipgirls, by the way. But it would be a nice change of pace to have an allied Shipgirl that's ashamed of her nation's history for something, or acknowledge that, for all that their nations were on the "right side" of history their nations still did a lot of despicable things, instead of just being patriot-bots.
You're not wrong. Certainly, I think the Japanese internment camps would be a particularly fruitful example. Not just for the shame of it, but because you could easily have some American shipgirls be totally okay with them and set up in-fleet conflict that way.

But conversely, the Holocaust and Japanese war crimes get emphasized because... well, because they get emphasized IRL. The entire country of Germany is acutely aware of the Holocaust and their role in it, and the Holocaust is the go-to example of war crimes and genocide. Japan, meanwhile, is criticized on a pretty consistent basis for not acknowledging their war crimes. For the skeevy shit the Western powers got up to, it's not hidden, but neither do those countries give their citizens much of a reason to go looking.

So German and Japanese shipgirls would be constantly aware and reminded of their countries' crimes, while Western shipgirls... aren't.

(The Soviet/Russian shipgirls are an entirely different can of worms I'm not going to touch)

And again, none of this is to disagree with you. I absolutely think we should have Western Allied shipgirls that are aware and remorseful of their nations' crimes. It's just... there's a reason German and Japanese atrocities get more attention in fanfics, and it's not just because of the 'MURICA, FUCK YEAH! tendencies that tend to crop up in Kancolle fanfiction.

As for that snippet you mentioned with Roma and Libeccio, as the guy who wrote it, I will say Roma is very much the exception there. I'd lump the Italians in more with the America/Britain/France crowd.

I'll also note that Yamamoto wanted a declaration of war to be given to the US before the attack on Pearl was actually launched. What he wanted and what happened are two different things, but it should be noted that he, by all indications, put significant stock in observing the formalities, even if only in the most technical way.

Of course, there's a bit of wanting to have his cake and eat it too in that, since he wanted the declaration of war to reach Washington either thirty minutes or two hours before the attack landed on Pearl - far too little time to warn Pearl Harbor itself.

Last edited:
Given there's been cases where burglars discover that their target is a pedophile/child molester and then tell the authorities, resulting in a lighter sentence for the burglars, it at least definitely makes you look much better in comparison.

Fortunately that stretch of the analogy doesn't actually map back to the original situation!

I think another reason for the focus on Japan and Germany is because of the situations they find themselves in. Japan is dependent on the US, China, and Russia for its very existence, and the KM can't operate efficiently without basing in either the UK or France. They have to go out of they're way to make it clear they don't have any ties to the former regimes because otherwise they' be quickly sidelined.

We have images of the new promotional arts: Akagi, I-401, Shigure, Oboro, Gambier Bay(!), Yahagi, and Akashi. The art is for a city exploration event on Sasebo, called the Sasebo Stamp Rally.

Ham-ba-ga~

Image under spoilers.

Last edited:
I was looking at some of the Zuiunfest pics to get an estimate of the scale of planes in Kancolle for a question over at SB. (It's something like 1/21)

Among the Zuiun fest pics, there was this cutout
I did some maths, based on the average jp male height (172cm).
Got the following:
Ooyodo: ~160cm.
Akashi: ~185cm.

Ooyodo is normal for a japanese woman, but Akashi is taaaaalllll.

Last edited:
I was looking at some of the Zuiunfest pics to get an estimate of the scale of planes in Kancolle for a question over at SB. (It's something like 1/21)

Among the Zuiun fest pics, there was this cutout
I did some maths, based on the average jp male height (172cm).
Got the following:
Ooyodo: ~160cm.
Akashi: ~185cm.

Ooyodo is normal for a japanese woman, but Akashi is taaaaalllll.
Akashi isn't tall, she just closer to camera.

Back