Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

For the Iowa being silly thing going on last page here something my grandpa said he hear in Korean.

The Iowa a party boat.

Apperantly Iowa crews was the poster boys for the old saying Work Hard Party hard.

Also consider the following.

She has had the most blood spilled on her decks of any Iowa class.

Jersey? Despite being having the most awards NEVER was actually tested. Close she got to being damage is leaving paint on the Canal and being torp in Truk with Iowa and a shore battery hit in Korean.

Missouri? Clumsy boat who had great luck and often in front of the big screen. Besides that she really didn't do nothing of note.

Wisconsin? The fastest is always late. Fastest built, fastest top speed, both actual and luck, and fastest stopping. The least famous. Also slighty clumsy and has a menato of one her unfinished sisters.

Iowa... Got shot at by a friendly (Willy: SORRY!) also got torp again in Truk. Bent a shaft in one of the Typhoons, Cobra I think. Fast forward to the 80 rebuild. And she got fucked.

The Admiral in charge of her trials literally said that she should be taken back to the yards to be fix. The Admiral in charge of the Refits said disregard the advice and told the Atlanta fleet leaders that the problems with her was theirs and to fix them...:jackiechan: Fucking REMFs... Apperantly it may have been to get another battleship up to relieve Jersey at Lebanon.

Then the 89 turret explosion happen killing 47 and the result invesagtion was a utter SNAFU not seen since the Indianapolis one.

So yeah the Iowa is the bloodiest one of her sisters.

So she knows how war and lost is the best and decides to be the cheerful silly one to keep everyone morale up. Which does explain a lot about her...

Edit: It also explains the thing with Kongo.

Both often are uses as comic relief, the big sis/friend you go to get help slash cheering up. I can easily see both agreeing to do all types of sheniginions to help cheer people up.

Last edited:
Himekaku. Since her boss name is Abyssal Crane Princess.
I don't like mixing kun'yomi and on'yomi, it sounds weird to me. Let's fix it with the help of Jisho-senpai!

瑞鶴 is rendered as "Zuikaku" when you use on'yomi. If you use kun'yomi, you get "Mizutsuru".
姫, "princess", has "hime" as its kun'yomi. (Thus, 姫鶴 would be read as "Himetsuru") Its on'yomi is "ki".

In fact, that's how it's used in the Abyssal name:
深海鶴棲姫 is given the katakana of しんかいかくせいき, "Shinkai kaku seiki"
深海 ("Shinkai") means "Abyss" (literally "Deep Sea").
鶴 ("Kaku") means "Crane".
棲 ("Sei") means "Inhabiting" or "Living". It's being used as a modifier to the Princess kanji to tie it to the Abyss part, as in "a princess that dwells in the abyss". So "Shinkai Seiki" becomes "Abyssal Princess".
姫 ("Ki") is Princess.

Therefore, the proper reading should IMO be "Kikaku".

Last edited:
Also, given she is using her Tsarist name, how much of her attitudes and behaviors might potentially be shaped by Tsarist Russia instead of the Soviet era?

Gangut was also renamed to such during the Soviet-era after the war. Unlike Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, the name "Gangut" has no automatic ideological connection: it's simply the Russian name for Hanko a Finnish peninsula in the Baltic that was a Imperial Russian naval base when she was first constructed, then it was leased to the Soviets as a naval base first after the Winter War in 1940, then again after World War 2 until the end of the Cold War. My personal headcanon is that she'll happily answer to either (a case which applies to pretty much all the ships who had multiple names) but tends to get called (and go by) Gangut because it's shorter. I also kinda headcanon her as not actually having an attachment to Communism or the USSR but also no real antipathy. Her attitude is that Russia is Russia, whether Tsarist or Soviet.

Last edited:
Gangut was also renamed to such during the Soviet-era after the war. Unlike Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya the name "Gangut" has no automatic ideological connection: it's simply the Russian name for Hanko, a Finnish peninsula in the Baltic that was a Imperial Russian naval base when she was first constructed, then it was leased to the Soviets as a naval base first after the Winter War in 1940, then again after World War 2 until the end of the Cold War. My personal headcanon is that she'll happily answer to either (a case which applies to pretty much all the ships who had multiple names) but tends to get called (and go by) Gangut because it's shorter. I also kinda headcanon her as not actually having an attachment to Communism or the USSR but also no real antipathy. Her attitude is that Russia is Russia, whether Tsarist or Soviet.
I have it more where she just acts like she's gone full blown to troll the everloving hell out of people, especially Iowa and her sisters.

Gangut is a proud Zarya main, and sometimes quotes her in battle. "Огонь по готовности!"

That is all.

Gangut was also renamed to such during the Soviet-era after the war. Unlike Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya the name "Gangut" has no automatic ideological connection: it's simply the Russian name for Hanko, a Finnish peninsula in the Baltic that was a Imperial Russian naval base when she was first constructed, then it was leased to the Soviets as a naval base first after the Winter War in 1940, then again after World War 2 until the end of the Cold War.

Actually, Gangut is named after the naval battle that happened there, not the peninsula itself: Battle of Gangut - Wikipedia

I don't like mixing kun'yomi and on'yomi, it sounds weird to me. Let's fix it with the help of Jisho-senpai!

瑞鶴 is rendered as "Zuikaku" when you use on'yomi. If you use kun'yomi, you get "Mizutsuru".
姫, "princess", has "hime" as its kun'yomi. Thus, 姫鶴 would be read as "Himetsuru". Its on'yomi, is "ki".

In fact, that's how it's used in the Abyssal name:
深海鶴棲姫 is given the katakana of しんかいかくせいき, "Shinkai kaku seiki"
深海 ("Shinkai") means "Abyss" (literally "Deep Sea").
鶴 ("Kaku") means "Crane".
棲 ("Sei") means "Inhabiting" or "Living". It's being used as a modifier to the Princess kanji to tie it to the Abyss part, as in "a princess that dwells in the abyss". So "Shinkai Seiki" becomes "Abyssal Princess".
姫 ("Ki") is Princess.

Therefore, the proper reading should IMO be "Kikaku".
All according to Kikaku

(Translator's Note: Kikaku means Abyssal Crane Princess)

Random other name readings:
Unryuu can be read as Kumotatsu.
Tenryuu and Tatsuta can be read as Amatatsu and Ryuuden, respectively.
Like I said before, Zuikaku can be read as Mizutsuru. Shoukaku would be Kaketsuru. (I believe there's an anecdote about that name?)
Amatsukaze is the name of a wind, so it's read the native way (kun'yomi), but if it followed standard guidelines for composite words it'd be Tenshinfuu.

What's interesting is that if you look at enough of these you start getting an idea of which system the word is using without having to look it up. They have different phonetics or something.

Last edited:
Like I said before, Zuikaku can be read as Mizutsuru. Shoukaku would be Kaketsuru. (I believe there's an anecdote about that name?)
There is.

It can be summed up as Military intelligence is an oxymoron. Basically one report had Shoukaku as Kaketsure while another had it as a usually name.

Since there was not many in the line navy or flag staff that can read Japanese, or read it well, it lead to a confusion that there was THREE Shoukaku class CVs.

Also it didn't help that how the name written on the hull isn't how it was written on paper, left to right instead of up and down. Which lead to even more confusion...

So I read Lord K's shipgirl CVB-44 self-insert, and it was amazing. As someone who's only just discovered Kantai Collection, which fics would you recommend to a newcomer?

It's not a SI, it's just an OC. It's good tho. You'll have to hunt through his posts in the SB Kancolle ideas thread for it tho.

This sounds interesting. Where is it?

As for what fic to recommend, how about "Pacific Confusion" by Skywalker_T-65? It's an Admiral SI instead of a shipgirl SI.

It's not a SI, it's just an OC. It's good tho. You'll have to hunt through his posts in the SB Kancolle ideas thread for it tho.
I knew my obsessive bookmarking would come in handy one day!

I'm in a masochistic mood, so, it's re-read time.

Because that poor girl goes through more shit than the Nishimura fleet at Surigao. You have been warned. It's awesome, but gross, sad, and disturbing.

Jersey holds the records for speed. 36 knots for 6 hours, during her 60s shakedown before deployment to Viet Nam. World's fastest battleship, officially.
Actually its 35 knots and no listing of her weight or load or engine output RPM which apperantly raise a few eyebrows from the engineers. Meaning that she would have zero ammo and almost no fuel to make that speed, she was stripped compare to Wisky who made the full 33 knots at 55k tons.

With experts that work on them saying that she couldn't make such speed cause it will literally break the engines and more then a few thinking that someone fudge their math.
History and Technology - Speed Thrills V - NavWeaps

There's info from the latest Comptiq. A US destroyer is coming, foreshadowed by the 5-inch single, and alternate mode (Kai B) for Isokaze.

Back