Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

I've seen some warship personification and other type of games.

Present ships named the same, especially from the similar era

Lexington (Lexington class)
and
Lexington (Essex class)

As 2 different characters.

And I've seen other works instead of presenting them as 2 different individual characters.

I've seen other works present them as the same person.
Have them as the same character, and Essex class represents an upgrade and outfit change.

Last edited:
I've seen some warship personification and other type of games.

Present ships named the same, especially from the similar era

Lexington (Lexington class)
and
Lexington (Essex class)

As 2 different characters.

And I've seen other works instead of presenting them as 2 different individual characters.
Have them as the same character, and Essex class represents an upgrade and outfit change.

Yeah, that would make sense. I'm used to the British Commonwealth tradition where the things like a ship's crest and battle honours are passed on from ship to ship as if it was the same ship all along. Having it where Lexington (CV-2) could then evolve into Lexington (CV-16) makes much more sense than having two separate people running around.

Have them as the same character, and Essex class represents an upgrade and outfit change
Having it where Lexington (CV-2) could then evolve into Lexington (CV-16) makes much more sense than having two separate people running around.
Except it's like saying two people with the same name should be exactly the same, despite differences.

Oh joy.

This fucking argument again...

Just going to repeat myself here.
-----x-
Saying that two ships that share a name are one and the same is disrespecting both.

Cause the history of one ship is far different then the other.

History, therefore memories, is what makes someone THEM.

Not names, no matter how powerful they are.
----'x
Doesn't help that for the Lexington example that CV12 was to be name something else (think Kearsarge) and was change before she was launched.

IIRC, this was yet another meme that came from GG, SoDak's Ghost story about how BIG E never dies and all of that. The memes, Jack. The memes. Another poster also thought that HMS Victorious (the tallship) is the same as HMS Victorious (the carrier), even though the two are seperated by centuries, building materials, and purpose, among other things.

Seriously, this idea is dumb at best, though I do mantain that ships that have the name of a previous vessel do get some kind of trinket (or a small physical trait) from their predecessor. DDG!Kongou could have Battleship!Kongou's headband, for example. Minitoga could get CV-3's hairpin, etc.

It's quite possibly the meme I loathe the most of any (discounting Sara ones) to be honest. The idea of making a spirit that essentially body jacks her descendants just does not sit right with me and never has. Not even talking about how it is fairly insulting to the successor.

Take Lexie. She served much, much longer than Lex. She has an entirely different design, crew, construction (though I see her as the only Essex (discounting maybe Hornet) to look like her namesake considering how the yard that built her was the same as the one that built Lex and they begged the Navy to rename the CV they were building in honor of CV-2) and a different name. To say that Lexie is Lex is to say that a name change means Lex's spirit overwrote Cabot's.

Seriously, I can't be the only one to find this cruel at best.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would make sense. I'm used to the British Commonwealth tradition where the things like a ship's crest and battle honours are passed on from ship to ship as if it was the same ship all along. Having it where Lexington (CV-2) could then evolve into Lexington (CV-16) makes much more sense than having two separate people running around.
Not really? I mean, my dad was in the RCN and from conversations with him, I never got the feeling that two ships of the same name were treated as being the same ship. Sharing the same crest and battle honours, yes. But not as being the same ship, different hulls.
It's quite possibly the meme I loathe the most of any (discounting Sara ones) to be honest. The idea of making a spirit that essentially body jacks her descendants just does not sit right with me and never has. Not even talking about how it is fairly insulting to the successor.

Take Lexie. She served much, much longer than Lex. She has an entirely different design, crew, construction (though I see her as the only Essex (discounting maybe Hornet) to look like her namesake considering how the yard that built her was the same as the one that built Lex and they begged the Navy to rename the CV they were building in honor of CV-2) and a different name. To say that Lexie is Lex is to say that a name change means Lex's spirit overwrote Cabot's.

Seriously, I can't be the only one to find this cruel at best.
No, you're not the only one who feels that way.

IIRC, this was yet another meme that came from GG, SoDak's Ghost story about how BIG E never dies and all of that. The memes, Jack. The memes. Another poster also thought that HMS Victorious (the tallship) is the same as HMS Victorious (the carrier), even though the two are seperated by centuries, building materials, and purpose, among other things.

Seriously, this idea is dumb at best, though I do mantain that ships that have the name of a previous vessel do get some kind of trinket (or a small physical trait) from their predecessor. DDG!Kongou could have Battleship!Kongou's headband, for example. Minitoga could get CV-3's hairpin, etc.
No this meme is fucking older then KC man. It was in planefriend quest in one of the early threads.

Contrary to popular belief GG isnt the source of all KC memes. That meme which i hate very much.

It was what brought most of them to light thru.

Last edited:
No, you're not the only one who feels that way.

It's why I like the route WSG takes. Look at Lex and Lexie again:

You can see a distinct similarity between the two, yes. But Lexie is not Lex. Her hairstyle is different, her outfit is different, and when you compare the official art...her entire bearing is different. Much more serious. This is what I prefer, if you have to make the namesakes similar to one another. Make them look similar, but be visually distinct and have distinct personalities apart from one another.

It's quite possibly the meme I loathe the most of any (discounting Sara ones) to be honest. The idea of making a spirit that essentially body jacks her descendants just does not sit right with me and never has.

This really depends on the assumption that ships are like humans in how they develop, though, that there's a gestation and so forth. In simplest terms, that there was a Cabot existing, rather than just the possibility of Cabot in the future. (Ships aren't always completed, much less completed the way they were envisioned.) And there is very much a sliding scale on whether the shipgirls are humans or merely human-shaped.

So I can see various versions of Lexington being different. I can also see Lexington losing consciousness in the Coral Sea and waking up in a new body. The metaphysics are open to interpretation.

This really depends on the assumption that ships are like humans in how they develop, though, that there's a gestation and so forth. In simplest terms, that there was a Cabot existing, rather than just the possibility of Cabot in the future. (Ships aren't always completed, much less completed the way they were envisioned.) And there is very much a sliding scale on whether the shipgirls are humans or merely human-shaped.

So I can see various versions of Lexington being different. I can also see Lexington losing consciousness in the Coral Sea and waking up in a new body. The metaphysics are open to interpretation.

My problem with this is that it minimizes the impact of death. For instance, I've read several fics where Enterprise goes through a big character development after losing Lexington and her sisters. Not only is that negated in this scenario, that most of those renamed were well under construction (Lexie and York10 were renamed a year after keel laying), so you're talking about the reincarnated soul supplanting the native soul. Then, what would Essex, Intrepid, or the rest of the class react when they hear they were robbed of four sisters when the dead took their hulls over?

so you're talking about the reincarnated soul supplanting the native soul.

There is no particular reason this has to be true. I've already pointed that out, so why you're still pushing it I'm not sure. If someone says a ship is merely a lifeless object before commissioning day that's as valid a proposition as any other.

And Essex, from Essex's perspective, didn't lose four sisters. She has exactly the same number of sisters. The fact some of them were once Yorktowns or Hornet or Lexington is irrelevant to the fact they're her sisters now. It would be more mean-spirited to deny it on her part.

Last edited:
Doesn't help that for the Lexington example that CV12 was to be name something else (think Kearsarge) and was change before she was launched.

USS Hornet CV-12's original name was Kearsage. Thanks to Admiral Mitscher... ("It's my old girl given back to me"), there may be some reason to believe that Hornet(12) is either a reincarnation of Hornet(8), or looks creepily similar.

Lexington CV-16 was laid down as Cabot. Her keel plate still has Cabot stamped into it.

Lexington CV-16 was laid down as Cabot. Her keel plate still has Cabot stamped into it.

And herein is where I take issue with the 'change the name, change the spirit' argument. If the name means so much, metaphysically speaking, then Lexie should still be Cabot, on a fundamental level. She picked up traits (and looks) from Lex when her name was changed, but otherwise...

That's not even tossing in the problem stemming from 'oh, I can change the name of my ship and change the spirit? Okay, let's just change this ship to Enterprise and get E for free!'. Because if one says changing the name is enough to change the spirit, that's what happens.

As well as this, there's the old argument that 'the crew shapes the girl' as much as her history does. Taking that argument, no two ships are completely the same. The crews of Lex are not the crews of Lexie. The crews of CV-6 are not the crews of CVN-65. The crews of CV-3 are not the crews of CV-60 and so on and so forth.

From the moment the preview art was made available, I'm sure many of us wondered how a shipform Nagato Kai 2 would look.

By Akasaai, number 2732869.

2x3 Prototype 41cm, 2x2 41cm, large torpedo bulge, and 10cm secondaries per her in-game equipment.

Looks to unbalanced. The three gun turrets should be on the weather deck, not in the super firing positions.

Looks to unbalanced. The three gun turrets should be on the weather deck, not in the super firing positions.
It's not unheard of, the Pensacolas had 8" triples over doubles, and the original design for the Lexington CCs was 14" triples over doubles.

The Nagato Kai Ni seems, IMO, to be based on Hiragas proposal for a treaty battleship, which also had 16" triples over doubles.

That method is done because of concern the barbettes for the triples wouldn't fit in the hull in the forward positions, where the bow narrows.

It's honestly not that big a deal, thanks to the recessed location of the barbettes. Furthermore, a number of RL ships (such as Pensacola) had that layout.

I'm also of the opinion that two ships with the same name are NOT the same.

I mean, me and my younger brother have the same first name as my dad to the point where it causes confusion if people only refer to any of us by first or last name, and yet the three of us couldn't be any more different from each other in terms of pretty much everything.

Even in the treatment of the ships IRL, ships named after a previous ship are not treated as being the same ship as the former. Otherwise, you'll have battleship HMS Warspite (03) being treated the same as submarine HMS Warspite (S103), despite being two different ship classes altogether!

Yup, those, thank you as I didn't have a picture on hand.

I have wondered the possibilities if Japan had not renounced the treaty and built these (probably under the guise of the 16" guns being 14") instead of going all-in on the Yamatos (IIRC, the IJN could've built four or five for the amount of resources invested in the hotels).

Back