Jace911 "Reviews" Puella Magi Madoka Magica

This, a thousand times this. The original broadcast had them air back to back. It's the correct and proper way to watch it.

Of course, if you want the 100% authentic experience of watching those two episodes back to back, try avoiding all things Madoka for a full month whilst endlessly speculating and rewatching episodes to try and catch the ending while under the impending sense of doom that the final episodes may never air.

Don't do that of course. The delay was a killer and we want to see your reaction sooner rather than later. :p
Also tell us where you live so we can devastate the area to make feel even worse.

I'm going to pick up a case of Corona on the way home before I tackle the finale.

If I don't make it back tell my family I love them.

This, a thousand times this. The original broadcast had them air back to back. It's the correct and proper way to watch it.

Of course, if you want the 100% authentic experience of watching those two episodes back to back, try avoiding all things Madoka for a full month whilst endlessly speculating and rewatching episodes to try and catch the ending while under the impending sense of doom that the final episodes may never air.

Don't do that of course. The delay was a killer and we want to see your reaction sooner rather than later. :p

Are the first two Madoka movies worth watching?

I know they are supposed to be a retelling of the TV Series, with better animation quality I suppose, but are they different enough for a re-watch to be interesting?

Are the first two Madoka movies worth watching?

I know they are supposed to be a retelling of the TV Series, with better animation quality I suppose, but are they different enough for a re-watch to be interesting?

They chop and change a few scenes. Some bits are dropped, like a certain scene with a grenade, while new scenes find their way in, like the Crimson Graveyard.

It's worth a watch to see what's changed if you've seen the series before. It can also stand alone if you've never seen the series before, though you miss out on certain aspects of the series or the way it sets up some shocks.

The third film is independent of either. You can come in from either the series or the movies and still be equally blown away.

They chop and change a few scenes. Some bits are dropped, like a certain scene with a grenade, while new scenes find their way in, like the Crimson Graveyard.

It's worth a watch to see what's changed if you've seen the series before. It can also stand alone if you've never seen the series before, though you miss out on certain aspects of the series or the way it sets up some shocks.

The third film is independent of either. You can come in from either the series or the movies and still be equally blown away.
Okay. I've watched the TV series and the third movie.

Hmm, I wonder if the version Jace watches is the version that is on the BR or the one that originally aired on TV. The improvements were substantial.

Last edited:
When I think about while reading this "review", I still think Homura's story was the best of the Magical Girls. My only problem with Sayaka's arc was that Hitomi's ultimatum came out of nowhere. I never saw any implication that Hitomi liked Kyousuke, so I was thrown for a loop there (was there any implcation?). Then tragedy happens.

Didn't cry though. Never did for anyone, not even Homura. Don't know what to feel about that.

When I think about while reading this "review", I still think Homura's story was the best of the Magical Girls. My only problem with Sayaka's arc was that Hitomi's ultimatum came out of nowhere. I never saw any implication that Hitomi liked Kyousuke, so I was thrown for a loop there (was there any implcation?). Then tragedy happens.

Is it possible that the ultimatum had the actual goal of getting Sayaka to confess to Kyousuke, for her own good?

I mean, if Hitomi liked him, why wouldn't she just steal him while Sayaka hesitates without giving her an opportunity to act?

Is it possible that the ultimatum had the actual goal of getting Sayaka to confess to Kyousuke, for her own good?

I mean, if Hitomi liked him, why wouldn't she just steal him while Sayaka hesitates without giving her an opportunity to act?
If it were just for that reason Hitomi wouldn't follow through with meeting Kyosuke, would she? She was trying to show some courtesy to Sayaka, that's all.

Because she's a good friend? After all, Sayaka clearly likes him, but was waffling on asking him for some strange reason. This way, she gets a chance at the guy while keeping her friend.

I like both of them a lot actually. Come to think of it, I can't actually think of a Madoka character I don't like.

I actually like Sayaka a lot more before she becomes a magical gir---

:o

once again I had the brief urge to reach through my monitor and smack blue hair [...] I realized that's the whole fucking point and I ended up golf clapping the writers instead

Okay. I've watched the TV series and the third movie.

Hmm, I wonder if the version Jace watches is the version that is on the BR or the one that originally aired on TV. The improvements were substantial.

Some of the TV moments I felt were actually superior. For example, the slowed down version of Magia on the Walpurgis cold open was the result of a goof, but felt more atmospheric to me. Mami's apartment is another example. In the TV broadcast it was utterly bare, with only the most basic of stuff there such as the coffee table, a few pillows, the tea and cake. The BD had her apartment laden with stuff, and the movie version added a loft.

Personally, I hang on to all the different iterations. They're worth keeping if only for their own sake.

If you're still interested in checking some of the differences, I managed to dig up my SPOILER ALERT DON'T YOU DAMN WELL DARE CLICK JACE first impressions and subsequent review of the first two movies I SWEAR IF YOU CLICK I WILL MAKE A FUCKING CONTRACT TO MAKE YOU NOT CLICK SO HELP ME GOD!

As for Hitomi...

Hitomi grew up with Sayaka and Madoka. They're best buddies dating back to grade school. If your best mate has been sweet on a girl for a while but can't drum up the courage, it's generally good form to at least tell them "Ask them out or I will" before asking them out if you happen to be interested yourself. Different variations of the bro code mandate different responses, but the ultimatum was a lot more kosher than just springing it on her out of the blue.

There was a bit of foreshadowing about it as well, though it's VERY subtle when Hitomi starts screaming about forbidden love. Her reaction is over the top on a first watch, but in hindsight, you realise that a part of her may very well be overjoyed since she now doesn't have to compete with her best friend for a guy. She still covers her bases just in case though.

Not having a Soul may be a good thing, you cant be targetted by Kyubey, and depending on how witches and familiars work, you may be resistant to their depredations as well.

Back