Jace911 "Reviews" Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Yep, right after episode ten hit, we all had to wait about a month for the finale. Episodes 11 and 12 aired back to back on a rather auspicious day, I'll say when once you're done and dusted, though I imagine someone else will beat me to the punch there.

In any case, that month left a lot of people climbing up the walls in frustration and anticipation. Their outlet?

Fan art.

Loads of it.

Dio Brando would later borrow that roller in his fight with Jotaro.

So seeing Jace's reaction to her death and knowing another friend who is a huge fan, I've come to the conclusion there are at least two kinds of people in this world: those who like Homura, and those who like Sayaka. Personally, I couldn't find it within myself to actually... like Sayaka, and I have another friend who feels the same. I'm curious @Jace911 if you'd like to take a break from inebriated stream-of-consciousness -- what is it you like about the Blue-haired girl with a music theme?

I'm kind of a sucker for deconstructions of the classic heroic archetypes; people who try to do good things only for life to turn around and bite them.

Don't get me wrong, outside the narrative of this "review" I actually think the characters are all pretty interesting in one way or another. I just like Sayaka the most out of them all due to her arc and what I think it represents.

There's also a possibility that when Kyubey took the full seed a little earlier, they then re-use them elsewhere for other magical girls to kill, planting them somewhere and letting the Witch re-emerge.

Because yeah, as someone else posted, you have to jump through some hoops to get the population math to work out right.

I think he's referring to the sheer size of your images making scrolling a pain.

Is that it? That's a relief. I've been refreshing waiting for him to come back and point out the spoiler. I didn't think the scrolling was that bad, but if it's just that, I'll put it behind a spoiler tag and mark it as non-spoilery to ease it up on others.

I'm kind of a sucker for deconstructions of the classic heroic archetypes; people who try to do good things only for life to turn around and bite them.

Don't get me wrong, outside the narrative of this "review" I actually think the characters are all pretty interesting in one way or another. I just like Sayaka the most out of them all due to her arc and what I think it represents.
Funny thing is, I actually didn't like Sayaka at first. I thought she was annoying and way too naive, and I thought she died in a stupid way.

But then again, I was a dumb teenager and I thought that my fanfiction at the time was good, so yeah. Sayaka's a damn fine character. Actually, the entire cast is damn fine and the story is gripping. It's why the series is one of my favorites.

Sayaka is a very good character, but even if she was handled nigh flawlessly, the story of an idealistic hero having their spirit crushed is one that I think has already been written in just about every meaningful permutation.

Homura and Madoka are the characters I like the best, not the least reason for that being that they both showed me a story that I'd never seen before.

I think in terms of the Magical Girl/Witch ecology, part of the point is that the activities of Witches also create the proper environmental stresses to encourage girls to make the contracts in the first place. Witches feed on despair and suicide, which spread misery to friends and loved ones and push potential candidates towards wanting to make a contract with Kyuubey.

There's also a possibility that when Kyubey took the full seed a little earlier, they then re-use them elsewhere for other magical girls to kill, planting them somewhere and letting the Witch re-emerge.

Because yeah, as someone else posted, you have to jump through some hoops to get the population math to work out right.

That depends on how much pressure there is on the Familiar population. In Mitakihara with Mami hunting down all the familiars, yeah. But if the familiars aren't hunted down, like Kyoko's MO, then every time you take down a witch you have probably about two or three more from the escaping familiars.

So seeing Jace's reaction to her death and knowing another friend who is a huge fan, I've come to the conclusion there are at least two kinds of people in this world: those who like Homura, and those who like Sayaka. Personally, I couldn't find it within myself to actually... like Sayaka, and I have another friend who feels the same.

I like both of them a lot actually. Come to think of it, I can't actually think of a Madoka character I don't like.

Bunnycat. Incubator is terrible feline-rabbit thing.

I like him a a great deal too! He's one of those classic villain who manages to steal almost every scene they're in*, like the Witches in Macbeth, or Scar in Lion King. The strength of reaction you see him inspire in the fanbase is testament to his enduring strength as a great character.

*(Apart from some of the earlier episodes where he's just, like, riding on someone's shoulder for 90% of the time or whatever.)

I like him a a great deal too! He's one of those classic villain who manages to steal almost every scene they're in*, like the Witches in Macbeth, or Scar in Lion King. The strength of reaction you see him inspire in the fanbase is testament to his enduring strength as a great character.

*(Apart from some of the earlier episodes where he's just, like, riding on someone's shoulder for 90% of the time or whatever.)

In that sense, I agree.

Even that's kinda insidious, that these girls have let that monster into their lives to that extent.

Yeah you're abolustely right. On a rewatch you get that feeling and it injects a subtle note of menace at various points, it's cool beans. I was talking more in terms of stealing the scene in the more conventional sense of the term before- via dialogue, voice, and presence.

@Jace911 You should watch episodes 11 and 12 together, they are essentially a single very long episode IMHO.

This, a thousand times this. The original broadcast had them air back to back. It's the correct and proper way to watch it.

Of course, if you want the 100% authentic experience of watching those two episodes back to back, try avoiding all things Madoka for a full month whilst endlessly speculating and rewatching episodes to try and catch the ending while under the impending sense of doom that the final episodes may never air.

Don't do that of course. The delay was a killer and we want to see your reaction sooner rather than later. :p

Back