In Which I Watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

No, but Kakyoin is a closed off introvert, like his Stand, and Abdul is (by necessity) a show off, which means his stand has show off powers.

Last edited:
So Khnum's powers doesn't have to mean Oingo hates himself. A better interpretation is he'll be whatever kind of person would be the best brother for Boingo.

I know many people despise the use of ten point scales(believe me, I'm one of them.), but @The Curious Fan , how would you rate parts 1 and 2, with 5 being the average of every piece of media you've consumed in your life, both in terms of overall quality and your personal enjoyment?

Last edited:
Episode 54
I didn't even notice it's been a year and a half or so since I started this till now, time flies (especially when you have as many breaks as I do). But here's episode 54.

It starts out with the group confirming that Kakyoin will be fine before going to a gag of Polnareff getting mauled by Iggy again before the credits roll and they're now on a boat in Aswan with Joseph explaining ancient Egypt's burial practices and going over again to some farmers and a kid named Chaka who spots a katana on the ground.

It's a fancy katana in an anime, I expect this thing to be ridiculous.

The other farmers grab the katana from Chaka and try to pull it out of the sheath but can't even make it budge.

It can cut things without them even touching the blade?

Now that the group is less interested in a blade that'll cut you even if you're only holding the hilt, Chaka gets his shot at unsheathing it.

I guess the katana is the problem considering how passive Chaka is.

Definitely the katana, swords can have Stands too then.

The blade (presumably Anubis) then kills Chaka's father while the father tries to grab it, while Chaka is distracted it claims another victim.

The blade loves it's violence.

Despite the blatant evil of the blade, Chaka picks it back up and falls under it's sway, becoming convinced that he's an expert swordsman.

I suppose the next fight will be in a cemetery.

Chaka then kills the sole remaining farmer for kicks, leaving the cow he was hiding behind miraculously unharmed in the process.

Back with the main group, Polnareff is complaining again and gets handed some coffee flavoured gum while the rest of the group looks for toilets. And then he gets the gum stolen by Iggy who leads him to the middle of nowhere.

Thanks Iggy for another indirect bit of problem solving.

Polnareff is kind of surprised that one of Dio's henchmen came at him so directly and with so many people so he asks him to identify himself.

That fly withered and died upon contact with the blade, I guess it can make things rot or something like that.

As it turns out, the random kid with an evil sword is an utter amateur with a blade and only manages to be a threat thanks to Anubis giving him superhuman speed and surprise attacks with Anubis' ability to phase through things.

Polnareff gets away from any ambushes by jumping onto a pillar and daring Chaka/Anubis to fight on open ground.

Dropping a pillar on somebody, always a great distraction.

Of course, Polnareff has a counter and it turns out that the blade can fly off the handle like the armour flies off of Silver Chariot. It ricochets off of another pillar and right into Chaka's neck.

Outskilled.

With his enemy defeated, Polnareff checks out his sword.

God damn it Polnareff.

Before it can really sink in, however, Iggy shows up and starts barking at the blade like he knows exactly what it is and the rest of the group isn't far behind. They gripe about him heading off alone even though they were the ones that left him alone and ask about the katana and Polnareff says that an "expert swordsman" (Anubis is a narcissist I guess) attacked him but that they're dealt with. While he's explaining, the sword goes for a run.

Possession, extreme sharpness, intangibility, making things rot, cutting things that don't touch the blade and now animal control. Anubis has quite the grab-bag of powers.

Polnareff chases the rats away from Anubis but now Anubis refuses to budge for him. I guess Anubis can't mind control the same guy twice.

Back in their hotel room some time later Iggy is still growling at the sword, telling me that he knows exactly what the sword is (can Iggy write messages with his sand?). This time they send Jotaro with him to get rid of the sword and Polnareff stops on the way to get a haircut (presumably evening out the bits Iggy ate).

Jotaro's reading a book on marine life, was this in the original manga or was it added by the anime to fit in with his stuff in later parts?

Ignorant of the twist, Polnareff has the barber pick up and move the blade for him, a few minutes later this happens:

Another time where a sadistic streak saves a hero.

The episode ends on a cliffhanger of Anubis announcing itself before the new ED plays.

Considering the sombre tone of the music and it ending on a group shot I get the feeling that if I went and really looked at this I'd find a hint about which group members will die.

I always thought Anubis was more of a scimitar. I assume they call it a katana because of slight translation issues.

Last edited:

It's a fancy katana in an anime, I expect this thing to be ridiculous.
Maybe that's an overstylized straight Mameluke sword?

Considering the sombre tone of the music and it ending on a group shot I get the feeling that if I went and really looked at this I'd find a hint about which group members will die.
Who knows?

Something awesome with the Jojo openings and endings is that they are full of clues of what's gonna happen that you only notices afterwards. For example, remember Joseph explaining ancient Egypt's burial practices at the beginning of the episode, about how the dead were buried on the West side of the Nile and the living were in the East side? Well now take a look at the ending and the frame of the whole group next to the Nile at night with a campfire, notices which side of the Nile Kakyoin, Muhamad and Iggy are?
Hell, the new opening pretty much tells you the whole final battle against Vanilla Ice and DIO!

And sometimes it even goes beyond the current part, remember the ending of the first season of Stardust Crusaders?

Isn't that arrow shape familiar to you? ;)

The Jojo anime in general benefits tremendously for being done 25 years after the start of the manga, both in terms of pacing and subtle foreshadowing.

Back