Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Chapter 17: I can make her worse
Special thanks to @saganatsu, @DB_Explorer, @fictionfan, @Adephagia, @Wordsmith, @Taut_Templar, Jamie Wahls, @Elfalpha, @BunnyLord, @Drcatspaw, @tinkerware, @Lonelywolf999, D'awwctor, @magicdownunder, @Mordred, @Nuew, and my 16 other patrons not mentioned here. An extremely enthusiastic "Thank you" to @Torgamous for her patronage as well. Also, if you're not on here, you fit the tier, and you want to be added, please tell me.

AN: Enabled and beta-read by @ensou.

Sunset Shimmer

Departing from the castle turned out to be rather more exciting than I had anticipated.

"What in Equestria happened here?" I incredulously asked the pair of Royal Guards standing on either side of an open doorway where the doors to my chambers used to be.

"Ah, I'm afraid that's above our pay grade, Lady Shimmer," one of the two guards said apologetically. "All we know is that they were destroyed during the Summer Sun Celebration. Nothing else was stolen or damaged."

Doors of that size would not have gone quietly, but the bulk of the hallway was as spotless as always. On a hunch, I looked straight up and promptly spotted a sizable shard of wood embedded in the ceiling.

Okay, one agitated alicorn breaking them from inside... Obviously, Celestia had entered my rooms via either the window or teleportation, then not bothered with physical barriers on her way to me. Knowing that taking two seconds to open doors normally was the slower option remained as impressive as any other alicorn feat.

I'll be able to do that soon, I thought eagerly.

I probably didn't have yet enough earth pony magic to repeat the feat, but I could at least start practicing. I entered what was now my bedroom and started retrieving supplies for Twilight's lesson with a spring in my step.

Or, actually, I should really bathe first. It's been a few days and eww.

Cadance and I met by one of the side entrances to the castle and began making our way outside in comfortable silence. It did not remain comfortable. Though she might be a disappointing disgrace to her title, Cadance was still technically a princess. Even with her wings hidden beneath saddlebags, it didn't take long for parasites to find us.

"Princess Cadenza! Why did you leave the Royal Hospital of the Two Sisters in tears yesterday?"

"Is it true that the 'pulse' felt during this year's Summer Sun Celebration was due to a failed attempt at alicorn ascension?"

"Lady Shimmer! Care to comment on allegations that you were witnessed with wings recently?"

Absolutely not, especially since transformation spells aren't illegal. Wings just end up vestigial.

"Was Lady Shimmer the one you and Princess Celestia were visiting in the hospital, Princess Cadenza?"

"For what reason was Lady Shimmer hospitalized?"

On my own end, I was having trouble not letting my ears flatten alongside backing away. I hadn't really noticed anything different when I was teleporting, but apparently my new proto-alicorn senses provided uncomfortable feedback when multiple ponies were focusing on me simultaneously. Their greed felt greasy.

I didn't know exactly where Twilight's house was, but I had ways around that. I directed magic to my horn, momentarily reveling in how much more I had now, and cast a quick tracking spell on Cadance's saddlebags.

"Meet you there," I said shortly, and began preparing a teleportation spell.

Cadance's head jerked toward me.

"Wha–this concerns you as well, you can't just–"

I teleported to a nearby rooftop and shuddered. After glancing around to make sure that nopony was looking at me, I manifested a quartet of brushes, plus illusory soap and water, and tried to get the unpleasant sensation of phantom grease off. If that sensation was something I would need to get used to, I was even more baffled and horrified by Celestia's decision to tolerate ponies acting like that. It felt disgusting!

Then again, maybe it was a sense related to my future as the Alicorn of Magic rather than something Celestia needed to deal with. Cadance certainly didn't seem like the sort to be able to tolerate such sensations. Or maybe it was something I could learn how to turn on and off, similar to how unicorns could learn to keep to themselves and ignore highly magical phenomenon with some practice?

Either way, the new sense was something that I would need to learn how to control sooner rather than later. The size of Celestia's throne room would likely provide enough distance to dampen the effect for most of Day Court, but entering and leaving the room would be an exceedingly unpleasant challenge.

The illusory shower did its job, and I mentally noted it down as a viable solution for recovering from such sensations in the future. Cadance had clearly resorted to speedy flight to escape the reporters while I was showering. I hoped she had the good sense to take a roundabout route to lose any tails; the last thing we wanted was to expose a foal to their greed — although, actually, maybe we did want that. Foals younger than thirteen were strictly off-limits for interviews without parental supervision, and I would take great glee in the ensuing legal consequences.

Following Cadance could wait until she slowed down, so I found a good alcove to settle down in–

I paused and mentally revised my estimate of "a good alcove." It had been some years since I'd needed to do anything similar to this, and I was over twice as large as I was back then. I would need to scrub out wherever I found before settling, too; I would hate to be dirty for my first meeting with somepony new. First impressions were important, and I might be busy, but I wasn't dirty no matter the insults that some tutors used to throw at me.

About ten minutes later, my tracking spell reported Cadance slowing to a more reasonable pace. I stood up, stretched, and chain-teleported my way to Cadance's current location. Thankfully, she seemed to be in one of the more upper-middle-class residential areas within Canterlot rather than somewhere more crowded. There was a peculiar prickling sensation as a few passing ponies momentarily focused their attention on me, but it passed within seconds. This was Canterlot. Teleporting unicorns were rare, but by no means unheard of.

"Sweet C–" Cadance cut herself off, and snorted. "Right. There you are. You know it's technically illegal for you to cast tracking spells on myself or my belongings, right?"

"Only if you press charges, and the punishment is usually a restraining order and community service," I said dismissively.

"I could, though," Cadance grumbled. "Serve you right for abandoning me to them in my time of need."

"If you need my help for dealing with a few reporters, then you're even more of–"

I cut myself off, remembering that we were in public. Insulting Cadance was fine in private, but even if many ponies viewed Cadence as more of a figurehead, insulting her would probably still be unacceptable. That her wings were hidden beneath saddlebags only fooled casual inspection.

"Well, if you did," I resumed, "Celestia would just lecture both of us about getting along. Besides, you should know better than to humor reporters by now. It only encourages them."

"There are benefits to being on good terms with the press," Cadance halfheartedly objected, but sighed. "They are pretty obnoxious, though, I will confess. And you don't have wings to evade them–"

I didn't think it was supposed to be a jab, but the reminder still stung.

"–so I suppose teleportation was your best option. Fine, I guess you're forgiven."

"I never apologized," I pointed out.

"I'll go old and grey before you start doing that," Cadance scoffed.

"You're immortal. You're never going to do either of those things."

Cadance shifted uncomfortably and briefly glanced around, possibly to ensure that nopony was paying too much attention to us.

"I still haven't really gotten used to that," she confessed. "I am still growing, and it's hard to believe that someday soon I'll just… stop. Forever."

"Not so soon," I disagreed. "Just look at how big Princess Celestia is. I'm not sure how long it took her to grow to the size of two ponies put together, excluding wingspan and auroras, but it's clear that alicorn maturity isn't the same as that of normal ponies."

"Actually, are we sure that she stopped?" Cadance asked mock-thoughtfully. "Maybe one day she'll grow to be as big as a house."

I shook my head. Judging by historical paintings, she'd worn her iconic regalia for multiple centuries at this point without needing to replace it. That wasn't an observation I intended to share, though.

"Have you seen how much cake she eats without consequences?" I instead scoffed. "No, I'm pretty sure she's done growing at this point."

Cadance's muzzle wrinkled.

"No, I think that's just the alicorn metabolism at work," Cadance said, pretend thoughtfulness turning genuine. "I know that I lost an unhealthy amount of weight back when I was first getting used to my new state, and she's in charge of the day/night cycle. I'm sure that burns a lot of sugars."

I grunted in acknowledgement, glanced at one of the cozy houses we passed, and reminded myself that I should have an actual plan for this coming foalsitting-slash-tutoring session. Deciding on content would need to wait until I had a better grasp of where Twilight was at, and while I'd been dismissive when Cadance made the claim originally, Twilight's use of logic and abnormal study techniques demonstrated that Cadance might actually have a point about her learning speed. I still didn't think Twilight would learn faster since Cadance was almost a grown mare, but I might not have to come up with separate lesson plans for each of them.

The bigger problem was with behavior. I didn't want to end up neglecting this filly the way that Celestia had neglected me, even if I didn't think this would turn into a long-term commitment. So I needed to ensure that Twilight was aware this would be a temporary arrangement, but leave her with enough tools to ensure that she could keep growing just fine on her own, without feeling like she would need to be confined to the pace of lazy 'friends' just to learn magic. I wouldn't apply a condition of needing to match Cadance's pace, in part because I felt confident that Cadance would slow down if I instituted that policy and Twilight proved too slow. Such slowing would teach Twilight multiple terrible lessons all at once.

Then again, it would likely take multiple months of tutoring before Cadance was competent enough for me to be able to learn from the Chain of Knowledge. I'd never been impressed by the teachers of Magic Kindergarten back when I'd been passing through, so we might be able to cover the entire multi-year curriculum during that time. Twilight should already be done with her first year, but that would still leave two to go.

Honestly, I still thought calling the entire early schooling period magic kindergarten was beyond stupid. Perceived progress was important for encouragement. I was guessing it was a jab at earth ponies and pegasi for only having one year of kindergarten, while unicorn magic was supposed to be more difficult and therefore superior. I, personally, suspected that it might be a case of not adequately tailoring their curriculum to a student's interests. Yes, they might still be too young for most ponies to know their Special Talents, but magic didn't need to be based on that. It was just easiest. Other interests and familiarity would work almost as well.

"Bit for your thoughts?" questioned Cadance.

I snorted and glared at her. Unlike yours, mine aren't that cheap.

"I am trying to figure out how to go about teaching your favorite little filly," I bit out. "Unlike the lazy lumps Celestia made me tutor before, Twilight sounds like she might actually be smart and motivated enough to spend effort on. I don't want to ruin a perfectly good unicorn."

As was becoming her unpleasant new norm, Cadance didn't appear dismayed by the tone that used to be quite effective. She acted as though I was speaking normally rather than expressing my displeasure. How could I start getting the point across again? Resort to too much cruelty for our 'bridge' to stay vaguely mended? That wouldn't be worth the fleeting satisfaction.

"You really don't need to worry so much," Cadance said, smiling. "Twilight is an absolute sweetie and I love her like a little sister. I promise that she'll love anything and everything you decide to teach her."

That level of attachment was probably dangerous for an immortal alicorn, but also something that I would acknowledge as inevitable. Knowing that long-term consequences might strike in a century seldom stopped anypony from doing something in the present.

"I'm not worried about her liking what I'm teaching. I just don't want to pull a Celestia and sign up for more obligations than I can fulfill. That means reasonable expectations, communicating that this will be temporary, not promising more than I'm certain I can deliver, and so on."

Cadance shifted slightly away from me, eyes wider than I felt the explanation warranted.

"Oh," she said weakly. "...Do you really need to go to all that trouble? You'll be tutoring me for a while, won't you?"

"'A while,' but not for Twilight's entire foalhood," I pointed out. "She'll be back to being bored in Magic Kindergarten soon enough, and I'll be busy learning from Mother."

The word was used to avoid saying, Princess Celestia. Cadance's startled twitch and shocked expression showed that she didn't take it that way, though. I rolled my eyes and sped up. Cadance hastily matched my pace.

"Auntie would love to hear you call her that as something other than a weapon, you know," Cadance ventured.

"Then maybe she should act like it," I snapped. "I don't know what you told her to make her ease up, but it's obvious that she only changed her mind because you were the one asking."

"No, that's—that's not why," Cadance claimed, visibly distraught. "She's trying, you know? She just has so many years of habits that don't work for personal relationships rather than subjects. I think you'll be very happy together once you get all these initial pains sorted out."

Celestia making excuses was nothing new. I'd started to think that Cadance actually recognized those excuses as such, though. Silly me.

"Sorted when? In her copious spare time?" I asked sarcastically. "I'm not going to get my hopes up."

I glanced around, wondering when we would actually arrive. The neighborhood had gradually transitioned from the more opulent homes near the castle, to upper middle class, to the more humble and cozier homes of skilled tradesponies.

"How far away are we, anyway?"

Cadance blinked, glanced around, and winced. She suddenly swerved and turned back around.

"It was three houses back, actually. Sorry."

I chuffed with annoyance, but obligingly turned back around to follow after her.

"You've trod this path how many times?"

"I was distracted, okay?" Cadance said defensively. "Now calm down, please. Twilight reflexively won't like you if you show up angry or arguing with me."

I obediently shoved my irritation and anger into a quick combustion cantrip and sent a short-lived fireball into the skies above us. Admittedly, it did last longer than I'd anticipated; rather than breaking apart into wisps within a second or two, it lasted ten. Apparently, my new status came with more perks than just extra raw power.

"...Was that necessary?" Cadance asked, wide-eyed.

"Shunting emotions into spells is a great way to calm down," I said impatiently, trotting toward the house in question.

"No, I'm—isn't that supposed to be a temporary measure? And possibly self-reinforcing? I remember reading something like that."

Twilight's home was a tidy, two-story structure with a small picket-fenced lawn. At a guess, the whole building would be smaller than Celestia's dining room — but considering everything in Canterlot Castle was oversized, that admittedly didn't say much. So, perhaps three bedrooms and two bathrooms, at a guess.

Cadance sped to a gallop in order to beat me to the door, and gently knocked on it. I refrained from a response.

I expected one of Twilight's parents to greet us at the door. Having it slowly slide open, tugged by an admittedly adorable little lavender unicorn too small to reach the doorknob without magic, was not quite what I expected. Even if her parents had work, shouldn't they at least have stuck around until Twilight's foalsitter arrived?

Her expression lit up with unrestrained delight when she saw Cadance, and she promptly skipped until she was right across from her foalsitter. I didn't expect Cadance to meet her halfway and begin some sort of weird greeting ritual.

"Sunshine, sunshine," the two chanted, bouncing on their hooves with heads held at the same level.

"-–ladybugs awake!" they continued, Cadance and Twilight covering and uncovering their eyes as though playing peek-a-boo.

"Clap your hooves–" The two performed a quick exchange of seated patty-cake.

"And do a little shake!" They concluded by, of all things, shaking their flanks at each other like they were drunken dancers at a peasant's party.

When Cadance stood back up, it was to my raised eyebrow. I wasn't going to indirectly bully a foal by verbally mocking something she'd just been a participant in, but Cadance...

...Was meeting my gaze without shame, and even a little challenge.

"I am immune to embarrassment," she lied, somehow straight-faced.

"No you're not!" Twilight promptly objected, high voice slamming my this filly must be protected instincts. "My BBBFF embarrasses you all the time! I've seen it!"

Cadance's mask of composure crumpled, and the teenage mare turned red with the same embarrassment that she'd claimed to be immune to mere moments before.

I like this filly already.

The filly in question finally seemed to register my existence, and lunged to half-hide behind Cadance. Only when I made no sudden moves did she slowly peek around Cadance's patiently unmoving form.

"Who are you?" Twilight dubiously demanded. "Cadance never brought any friends when she's supposed to be foalsitting me."

There was a touch of bitterness in her words and an emphasis to Cadance's name. I was guessing that somepony had once made the mistake of ignoring their charge in favor of messing around with friends. I could certainly understand the bitterness from being ignored in a similar way, Celestia.

"This is Sunset," Cadance introduced me, still not moving. "She's going to be teaching us some magic today."

Your normal foalsitter is awful at it, I resisted the urge to say.

Twilight's suspicion evaporated in an instant, replaced by the wide-eyed enthusiasm of a filly fixated on her currently favored subject of interest. She zipped out from behind Cadance to bounce before me, bouncing between hooves from sheer excitement.

"Oooh! What kind of magic? Are you open to questions?"

"That's two questions already," I dryly pointed out, making sure to smile faintly.

It was as much to test the waters as anything else. Whether she took it as a rebuke or not would tell me how careful I needed to be with her. The smile was definitely a good choice to include; rather than relying on assumptions, Twilight peered up at my expression before deciding she needed more information.

"I have lots," Twilight agreed. "If two is a status—statishtic—too many, then I will need to check my list of lists to decide which list to use, and then decide which questions are most important to ask. I will also need to ask Cadance about your Special Talent since she doesn't mind questions."

I would reluctantly admit that Cadance might have had a point about Twilight. She had implied a question, but carefully hadn't asked me about my Special Talent.

"Don't worry; you can ask whatever magic-related questions you want," I promised. "If you have too many for us to fit in before lunch — I have to go afterward — I can come back to help foalsit again another time."

Twilight turned around and trotted back inside. For a moment, I thought that she had given up already from sheer annoyance. Only when Cadance followed her in did I realize that Twilight had merely skipped inviting us inside.

Even after stepping into the combination living room and entryway, with a kitchen in front of us and stairs to our left, I still didn't see any sign of Twilight's parents or any older supervision to speak of. I shot a questioning look at Cadance. Apparently, the source of my concern was so obvious that she was able to pick up on it without explanation.

"Twilight's 'Big Brother Best Friend Forever' is at some summer camp hosted by the Royal Guard," Cadance murmured, "and her parents avoid me when they can. It wouldn't surprise me if they snuck out the back door when they saw me coming."

Twilight soon turned back toward us, still vibrating with excitement. Her horn lit while we settled in. A notebook and pencil easily floated from a nearby tea table and hovered next to Twilight, the pencil poised to take notes on any upcoming lesson. At the same time, three pillows floated off of nearby furniture and formed a little nest that Twilight promptly flopped atop. It was honestly an impressive level of telekinetic control for her age; Cadance still struggled with multiple objects herself.

"What's your Special Talent?" Twilight asked the moments our flanks settled atop our own chairs.

"Magic," I promptly replied.

The tiny unicorn stared silently as though urging me to elaborate. I remained silent. The sooner I got her asking as many questions as possible, the better. I'd learned from unpleasant experience that students often thought that incomprehension was an embarrassing failure, and then they wasted both our time by pretending they understood something when they didn't.

Go on, I silently urged. I don't bite ponies unless they deserve it.

Twilight broke within seconds, as expected.

"All magic, or a specific part of it?"

"All," I said.

I hesitated and considered my own claim. Technically, I didn't have enough experience with the earth pony or pegasus varieties to know whether I would love it enough for it to qualify as part of my Special Talent. I'd enjoyed the lessons with Spring Hail thus far, but that was mostly philosophy and theory. Practical application might be less fun.

"Well, all unicorn magic, at least," I acknowledged. "Plus a little zebra, and maybe a bit that theoretically works for everypony but that nopony was meant to know."

"Who decided that we aren't supposed to know about it?" Twilight promptly asked. "And if they know enough to say we shouldn't, doesn't that mean they'll always be breaking their own rule unless they resort to memory spells to remove the knowledge, and then they won't know why they banned it so they might check again to be sure that it's a good rule, and then they'll be rulebreakers twice over?"

This wasn't quite the direction that I'd expected the lecture to go, I would admit. Not even an attempt to chase after interesting forbidden knowledge, only about the pony instituting said ban. I was actually starting to regret mentioning it at all. I was trying not to be Celestia, and that meant refraining from dangling knowledge in front of ponies that they weren't allowed to have. Not even five minutes and I'd managed to go against exactly that.

"I'm the one saying nopony should know about it," I finally admitted. "I underestimated how dangerous it was and got very, very lucky. Statistically, the next pony to try would not be."

Twilight looked away from me to scribble down notes while I spoke. Finally, she dutifully nodded and looked back up.

"'The best magic is that which helps without harm, and gives more than it demands,'" Twilight quoted Starswirl the Bearded. "Plus, I'm not allowed to touch anything deemed 'dangerous' until I'm older than Cadance, and I haven't found any books with aging spells."

It was like seeing a tiny, lavender mirror of myself. Already finding solutions to problems that nopony else had considered, but really should have. I wondered if I'd need to bother dumbing down my lecture at all.

"Don't touch those," I advised. "The effects are only ever temporary if done well, but if done poorly, the side effects might be permanent. I think your parents meant that you're supposed to naturally grow until you're older than she is now."

Twilight turned huge, soulful eyes on Cadance.

"But that will take forever!" the foal whined.

I could see the exact moment where Cadance's will crumpled, and she would have done anything to make Twilight happy again. I glanced at Cadance long enough to roll my eyes at her and narrowly kept myself from patting Twilight's dismayed form.

"Don't worry," I reassured her, and Twilight's head jerked back toward me. "Ponies are oversensitive and call a lot of things 'dangerous' that aren't. You'll have plenty to learn in the meantime."

"Oh!" Twilight perked up. "Is that why you undereth—underesh—"

"Underestimated?" I prompted.

"That!" she agreed. "It's like The Colt who Cried 'Timberwolf,' isn't it? If ponies mishclas— put warnings on everything, then nopony will listen when they really are dangerous?"

She wasn't exactly wrong, although to be fair, most of those warnings weren't meant for me.

"Yes and no. Most ponies don't have any idea what they're doing, so the warnings are appropriate for them. But those warnings are usually for when ponies cast spells wrong. The ritual I performed could have gotten me very, very badly hurt even though I'd done everything right."

"You're allowed to say 'died.' I know what it is," Twilight said matter-of-fairly. "But if you don't know what spells are dangerous when done wrong and which ones are dangerous when done right, then how do you know that it's safe to try at all?"

"With a teacher to guide you. Good so you know what to do right, or bad so you know what not to do. And speaking of which, I'm fine with answering questions about spell safety, but didn't you want to learn magic?"

Twilight nodded eagerly, but still justified herself.

"Establishing credentials is important so I know whether or not I should listen to you," came the too-innocent reply.

My eyebrows crept up. That was not a concern I would expect from a filly from, as far as I was aware, a middle-class family with no notable pedigree. That she'd been able to pronounce the words properly and therefore likely used them before was even more surprising.

"Is that something you've had problems with before?" I guessed.

Twilight nodded vigorously.

"Mrs. Comport at Magic Kindergarten always insists that her way is the only way of doing things, and I wasted months trying her method of levitation before I borrowed some of my BBBFF's books and found a way that actually made sense. Everypony laughed at me!"

A sudden, sinking sense of dread made itself known. It should not have taken Twilight, of all ponies, months to learn something as simple as levitation. Especially not now that she was levitating five items at an age where most would struggle with one.

"She tried the 'ball of yarn' comparison, didn't she?"

I might actually have to declare war on the local educational system at this rate. It was one thing to teach foals a sub-optimal method. It was another to do such a poor job that exemplary foals saw the flaws, and subsequently fell behind when the teacher didn't have a more accurate alternative prepared. Magic was personal for every pony, and therefore behaved a little differently for all of us; not all metaphors could work for everypony. It was like insisting that some ponies should hold pencils with their hooves instead of their mouths. Trying to force compliance would just leave some ponies out in the cold — and if everypony started doing that, the cold would become very literal as windigos approached.

"Yes!" Twilight exclaimed. "I knew it couldn't be right because then nopony would be able to spin multiple objects in an orbit without the 'threads' getting tangled! But nopony believed me because they could get it working just fine, and—and–"

For several seconds, I worried that I would have a sobbing filly on my hooves. Twilight took several deep breaths while Cadance darted forward to scoop her into a hug, and the combination of the two measures seemed to be enough to fend off tears.

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay," Cadance said soothingly.

This was, apparently, too much of a lie for Twilight to tolerate.

"No it's not!" Twilight disagreed in a tone that wasn't quite a wail. "I couldn't find a course guide so I couldn't learn the spells early, and Mom and Dad said that even if I could I would still need to go and it's not fair! Why do I need to go spend time around mean ponies if I'm just going to need to read in the corner anyway?"

If I didn't know any better, I would suspect Cadance of outright coaching Twilight on what to say. Every word that escaped her mouth might as well have come from a lavender-colored mirror image of myself. Oh, I was always careful to mind my tone and avoid tears when complaining, but I'd certainly thought all that.

"School is much more fun once you find some like-minded friends," Cadance claimed. "Magic Kindergarten is as much about learning how to make friends as it is learning magic."

Celestia said the same thing about her own school, too. It never worked out. Despite Cadance's attempt, Twilight lost the battle of self-control, and we'd managed to reduce our charge to tears within five minutes.

"But I tried making friends, and it didn't work!" Twilight wailed. "I don't wanna go back in the Fall! Not even for magic! Everypony there is mean! Books don't call me names or try to make me use magic wrong or call me a liar for saying you're my foalsitter!"

Cadance did a remarkably good impression of a deer subjected to an overly bright hornlight. I was feeling plenty alarmed myself. Twilight had gone from adorably enthusiastic to distressingly upset in the span of about two minutes, and I had absolutely not signed up for the latter. I did know a possible solution to the problem, though.

"Hey, want to learn how to terrify bullies into leaving you alone?" I asked brightly.

Twilight's tears didn't quite cut off altogether like fake tears would, but they did quiet enough to demonstrate that she was trying very hard to listen. Cadance looked at me with gratitude that lasted for all of half a second before turning to horrified suspicion, her brain likely taking that long to notice the 'terrify' part of my offer.

"Is the right answer 'no'?" Twilight asked suspiciously, in a tone that I thought meant she would like to learn. "I tried a Sight Unseen charm once and got in trouble for being absent even though I wasn't and waited until after roll call."

If I was remembering right, Sight Unseen should have been trickier than the worst of what Magic Kindergarten had to offer. Her teachers should have recognized that; her horrible school truly was holding Twilight back.

"There is no right or wrong answer, but I can personally attest to its effectiveness if you use it right," I promised.

Cadance's suspicion turned to certainty and horror.

"Sunset," she scolded me, "you are not teaching her how to set ponies on fire!"

"Only their manes!" I reflexively protested. "Seriously, why does everypony always act like I didn't put a timer on the cantrip?"

Twilight looked at me with wide, interested eyes. She wiped her tears on Cadance's coat and smiled weakly.

"You are now my third favorite foalsitter," Twilight announced.

Considering that my competition was probably Cadance and Twilight's own sibling, I'd take that.

"Twilight!" Cadance gasped, scandalized.

Despite the theatrics, she was shaking in what I recognized as suppressed laughter. Considering that she was still hugging Twilight, it wouldn't surprise me if the filly picked up on it, too.

"I'm sorry," Twilight said, sounding sincere. "But as you are very fond of reminding us, Cadance, we are spesh—meant to ignore your status as a princess while in the house, and you never taught me magic. Sunset clearly knows more, and ponies are supposed to listen to experts."

I was guessing that Twilight was butchering something Cadance had said about Twilight's household treating her normally, but I certainly wasn't going to complain.

"So!" I said cheerfully. "First rule of fire spells: unless you really want to destroy whatever you're aiming at, don't provide much more magic than is needed for initial ignition. Fire spreads very easily if you aren't careful."

Twilight's telekinetically controlled pencil took frantic notes as I spoke, its owner obviously paying close attention.

"No, really," Cadance butted in. "Twilight, you would get in very big trouble if you set any ponies on fire, even if it's 'just' their manes."

Twilight's pencil and person froze, and the filly gasped in horror. Still thinks that getting in trouble is the end of the world, huh? We should work on that.

"Not necessarily," I disagreed. "I'll need to review the legal precedent and get back to you, but there are multiple situations for which she would be completely in the right, such as self-defense. At worst, I'm sure she can pointedly set fire to a manequin she brings to class, and I'll happily pay the resulting fine."

Twilight's eyes darted between me and Cadance as though unsure as to which of us she was supposed to believe. Cadance switched tactics.

"Twilight, a lot of ponies don't like Sunset because she did something similar at one point," Cadance said. "So even if she's right and you might be able to escape without getting in criminal trouble, a lot of ponies will be afraid and won't want to make friends with you."

Wrong tactic, Cadance. Not everypony gets to live in a happy world where they get hoofed friends, family, and status for doing barely anything.

"But—they already don't like me," Twilight said plaintively.

"And you don't need them to," I insisted. "If they're cowardly enough to be scared off by second-hoof accounts, they weren't worth making friends with anyway."

Twilight slowly relaxed, much of the earlier eagerness returning. Cadance, realizing she'd lost this battle, halfheartedly glared at me.

'I should never have brought you along,' Cadance mouthed. 'You are a terrible influence.'

'You're just upset because my arguments are better,' I smugly mouthed back.

"Fire?" Twilight prompted us, eyes shining with eager hope.

Cadance's sides shook with suppressed laughter, and I knew that I'd won. Perhaps Cadance was right and this 'foalsitting' activity would be worth it after all, if only for this specific filly.

Last edited:
Chapter 18: Filly's first formative fiery folly
Special thanks to @saganatsu, @DB_Explorer, @fictionfan, @Adephagia, @Wordsmith, @Taut_Templar, Jamie Wahls, @Elfalpha, @BunnyLord, @Drcatspaw, @tinkerware, @Lonelywolf999, D'awwctor, @magicdownunder, @Mordred, @Nuew, and my 16 other patrons not mentioned here. An extremely enthusiastic "Thank you" to @Torgamous for her patronage as well. Also, if you're not on here, you fit the tier, and you want to be added, please tell me.

Sunset Shimmer

Twilight quickly proved to be an absolute delight. I didn't even need to tell her that I was Celestia's personal student for those 'credentials;' she paid perfect attention even before I started incorporating illusions to aid in the lesson. Once I did, I couldn't quite put my hoof on how, but it seemed like she went from eagerly devouring knowledge, to treating my words as though they came from Celestia's own mouth — by normal pony standards, that is. Not my disillusioned ones.

Sure enough, Twilight had already grasped the concept of immaterial connections just fine, although her reasoning was that the range necessary for Celestia to move the Sun each day would make a line connection frail and easily subjected to interference that obviously hadn't manifested. Since something really big could be invisibly connected to a much smaller pony, then Starswirl's Law of Sympathy dictated that everything else must be connected at least as much.

Saying that Twilight had borrowed her brother's textbooks was underselling herself; she didn't use the method outlined there. All she needed to know was that one's mental image for levitation might vary by pony, and she figured out the rest on her own.

Within an hour of starting on the basics of fire cantrips, Twilight was able to produce sparks from her horn energetic enough to light a campfire. Cadance... arguably made even better progress.

Sort of.

"So, um," Cadance said, tapping her hooves together sheepishly. "...How do I extinguish this again?"

We all stared at the pink, heart-shaped, Celestia-sized Fire of Friendship that Cadance accidentally created in the middle of Twilight's living room. Turns out that getting the Alicorn of Love to cast a fire spell came with side effects. I really should have seen it coming.

"Be a much, much worse pony than any of us is," I deadpanned. "So, yeah, it's not going anywhere. Congratulations on being able to solo a herd of windigos, Princess. They aren't really a threat anymore, but maybe it'll be useful someday. I suppose you could go winter camping in the middle of the frozen north if you ever felt like it."

Cadance groaned and slumped down on her pillow.

"Really? I can't just—take the magic back?"

"How well does 'reclaiming' love work out for anypony involved?" I asked rhetorically.

Cadance winced.

"Not well," she admitted. "So, what, trying might produce a corrupted Fire?"

"This is one of those situations where there is no practical benefit to finding out, and the possible consequences are dire," I told her. "In the absence of conflict or hatred, my assumption is that it would just turn into normal flame. In the middle of Twilight's living room."

"I think it's cozy like this!" Twilight loyally volunteered. "Even though it's summer, the Fire isn't making us too warm! Why not? I thought fire was supposed to just turn everything into itself."

"Have your parents ever taken you to a Hearth's Warming Eve play?" I asked.

Twilight nodded eagerly.

"Every year! Although I only clearly remember the last one."

"Love is stubborn," I told her, "and doesn't want to be extinguished, or reduced to less than what it is. So it burns for a long time, and maintains many of its properties until the very end. Discovering the Fires catapulted ponykind from disparate tribes eking out a meager existence where they could, to an uneasy alliance that slowly became more prosperous as time went on — until Discord appeared and almost destroyed basically all civilization everywhere, but that's another story."

Twilight blinked, befuddled.

"Discord?"

Okay, apparently we were having storytime now. I supposed I didn't mind if it meant rectifying a major educational deficiency.

"Discord is the God of Chaos that Princess Celestia defeated just before the start of her reign," I explained. "That feat encouraged the then-shattered society of ponykind to elevate Celestia to the throne and unify under her. I believe the intention of certain scheming factions was for this compromise to last for a normal mare's lifetime, and for the Princess to have foals that would subsequently inherit. As you can see by Celestia stubbornly never dying, this did not work out for them."

Twilight giggled, and I took the opportunity to steer the lecture back on track. Admittedly, I was the one who'd let it get that far.

"Emotion-based magics are largely disdained by modern academics due to their volatility and frequent difficulty with replication, but nopony sensible denies that they're powerful. So, yes, fire wants to make more of itself and burn everything it can. Anger can help that. Love and affection, however, override fire's destructive nature. Despite its name, a Fire of Friendship is less a fire using love and affection as fuel, and more a magical mass of emotion assuming some of fire's properties. Similarly, while Clover the Clever might have catalyzed the first Fire of Friendship, it took emotional contributions from ponies of all three then-squabbling tribes to trigger and fuel her accidental spell."

Cadance stared at me, unblinking with an unusual expression that I wasn't sure how to interpret. I had to fight not to snap at her.

"What?" I asked as evenly as I could.

"I'm starting to realize that magic is much more conceptual than I'd thought," Cadance admitted.

I definitely needed to declare war on Equestria's educational system. Every pony should know this much; unicorn magic was the most obvious and versatile, but all ponies possessed their own. Our bodies couldn't even function properly without it.

"Living beings birth magic," I summarized, "and it is shaped by our natures. If we're interested in something, odds are that we spend a great deal of time thinking about it. That shapes both our magic and improves our ability to visualize that magic, a necessary component of spellcasting. A pony's Special Talent and interests might let a novice spellcaster grasp and utilize spells that should, by the standards of most ponies, be 'incredibly advanced.'

"Having a more generalist bent doesn't necessarily mean that magic is harder, though. Take my Special Talent. I love all magic. I love how it slots together so everything makes sense. I love knowing the laws of reality and how they might be bent. I love making little connections between that which I've learned and that which I've observed, and realizing why the world is a specific way. I love how there's always more to learn, and so much of it is useful. I love how it lets you overcome any challenge if you approach it the right way, even those otherwise considered immutable such as death and mortality."

Twilight's hoof shot up, and I immediately shelved what I was going to say next. The Cutie Mark tirade could wait until later.

"Yes, Twilight?"

"Aren't those still inmute—absolute?" she promptly asked. "I thought that necromancy ate important parts of a pony in order to bring them 'back,' or just failed and only made an imitation?"

A popular view of necromancy, but not necessarily a correct one. Necromancy should, in theory, be incredibly powerful and allow the subordination of defeated foes. I couldn't help but wonder if backlash by Celestia's 'Harmony' was the reason why so few necromancers appeared within Equestria's borders despite how powerful their trade should be on paper. Necromancers were so sparse that I vaguely remembered reading about a few, but I couldn't even remember their names or how long they lasted beyond 'not long.'

"I may have dipped a little into hyperbole there," I admitted. "Once a pony departs for the Elysium Fields, death has its teeth in; that pony can only ever visit us afterward, and attempts at full resurrection don't end well. But as I understand it, if you 'hook' a pony beforehand, you can keep them from leaving here. Massive amounts of power can then be spent to convince reality that they're supposed to be alive despite evidence to the contrary. It's apparently not a method practical for mortals, and works best on alicorns; it takes too much power for normal ponies, as the world expects their lives to be fleeting.

"As for mortality: magic ensures that alicorns like Cadance are immortal. That should be fairly self-explanatory all on its own."

Twilight dutifully nodded, and I tried to remember where I'd left off. I couldn't quite remember what I'd already said, so I improvised something new.

"The tendency for ponies to be better at magics relevant to their interests is sometimes called an 'affinity,' and it doesn't only apply to unicorn magic. Pegasi might be better at manipulating weather in specific ways, earth ponies might prefer specific animals or plants, and so on. Similarly, you'll sometimes find a pony who seems to do just fine at using magics normally associated with another tribe while possibly having trouble with their own."

Twilight's hoof shot up again, and I couldn't help but smile. Yes, she might be 'interrupting,' but it meant she was listening and thinking. I'd much rather have an engaged pupil than one who barely bothered listening.

"How would other ponies use unicorn magic without a horn?" Twilight questioned.

Truthfully, I hadn't ever heard of that either, but I could extrapolate from what Spring Hail said about ponies being able to release magic from any part of themselves.

"I believe it's possible based on something said by Princess Celestia: that ponies can release magic from any part of our bodies, and some parts are just easier depending on our tribe. However, I will confess that I don't have any examples aside from zebras, and whether zebras count as ponies at all is a subject of scholarly debate. Regardless, their shamans can perform plenty of magic that really seems as though it should require a horn, but provably does not."

"Could you please provide the source or a demonstration of the 'any part' claim?" Twilight asked. "I've noticed that a lot of things ponies say 'Princess Celestia said' might have been said by another pony instead, and mishat–misate—um. They might say it's said by the wrong pony?"

I might be irked by being questioned if she were ten years older. She had a point about people misusing Celestia's name, though. Admittedly, part of that was Celestia quoting ponies she'd met. She was old.

Plus, Twilight's question was as good an opening as any. Twilight didn't know about my titles yet, and was already the best pupil anypony could ask for. I wouldn't need to worry that she would be acting differently just based on my status.

"The source is 'I'm her personal student and she told me directly,'" I said dryly.

Twilight's pencil froze, and the little filly stared at me with wide eyes. I had to fight not to grin at her expression. She might think I was joking if I did.

She looked back at Cadance for confirmation, and my former (im)mortal enemy promptly nodded. Twilight's eyebrows narrowed.

"Cadance foalsitting me was sushp—unusual on its own," Twilight accused. "Why am I being foalsat by a princess and Princess Celestia's personal student? I'm just a regular old unicorn."

That was a question that gave me pause. She had a point there; truthfully, I still wasn't certain how she and Cadance had even met, or why she'd continued foalsitting Twilight afterward. Cadance should have had better things to do with her time than possibly foalsit random foals until she stumbled across Twilight and latched on.

If I were cruel, this would be the part where I told Twilight that my attendance was a temporary matter, and that I was really here to tutor Cadance. Despite having met Twilight little more than an hour ago, I was no longer completely convinced that I would let this be temporary. Twilight was brilliant and I had zero confidence in Canterlot's public education system to raise her well. Private schooling would put her in a room with a great many nobles judging her due to her lack of noble titles, and the less said about my former tutors, the better.

However, the exact nature of any longer-term tutoring from me would take time to determine. Even if I might have the capability on paper once Celestia adopted me, I didn't have the time to take Twilight as a full-fledged personal student. I refused to repeat Celestia's neglect of me — plus, I wasn't sure if the novelty of teaching a clever little filly who eagerly devoured my every word would wear off after a while.

Cadance seemed unusually intent on letting me answer, silently watching me like I was performing on stage. Her lack of input felt a bit unfair; the question had been pointed at her, too! Maybe she'd answered for herself before, and my inclusion was the only new component?

Well, if she wasn't going to talk, she had no room to complain for how I answered.

"You really, really aren't a normal unicorn. Among other things, Cadance said she loves you like a little sister," I shamelessly threw her under the carriage, "and she thought I would like you, so here we are. We might have lofty titles — and mine is going to get even loftier soon — but we're still ponies. Ponies might be more private in the modern era and don't necessarily congregate into herds like we used to, but we still want to introduce each other to ponies we like.

"So, Cadance meets a brilliant little filly. She happens to know a certain brilliant wizard, and decides that we should meet. I needed to tutor her in magic anyway and she's at a foal's magic proficiency, so she uses that as an excuse to have me come over and help foalsit you. Nowhere does my status as 'Princess Celestia's personal student' come into it, nor does Cadance's status as a princess of Equestria."

While her pencil was still scritching away, Twilight's eyes had taken on a slightly glassy look. I suspected that I had lost her. I was deciding how to simplify the explanation when Twilight craned her neck to look up at Cadance without shifting out of the ongoing cuddling.

"You love me like a little sister?" Twilight questioned.

Cadance didn't even have to think about it before affectionately nuzzling Twilight.

"Of course!"

Twilight was not deterred.

"How would you know since you're an only child?" Twilight asked reasonably.

I would have expected that one to at least slow Cadance down. Instead, she smiled and answered in moments.

"Well, I am the Princess of Love. I want us to stay a part of each other's lives for our entire lives, and I want to watch you grow up. I already spend as much time with you as your 'Big Brother Best Friend Forever.' It makes me happy to be around you, and happier still to see and make you happy. I could keep going, but then we would be here allllll day.

"I stuck to the role of 'foalsitter' because your parents have serious trouble looking past my royal title, and aren't comfortable with a princess being interested in their little filly — or possibly aren't comfortable because they worship alicorns? It's really hard to tell which it is, nervousness can have different sources. Either way, I think they're afraid I'll steal you away or something — and I'll admit I've been tempted! But part of loving another pony is to know when you need to step back and let them live their own life."

"But what if I want–" Twilight started, then stopped. "Oh. You can't bring my whole family, so you would be taking me away. Never mind."

"That's right," Cadance confirmed. "When you're a bit older, you could visit me sometimes like I visit you, but some of the ponies around the castle are very mean. I think it's better if I just visit so you can have your privacy."

"Fire," I stage-whispered.

Twilight giggled, and Cadance halfheartedly glared at me.

"Fire is not at all a good solution to social conflicts, Sunset. That conversation isn't over, only postponed until we're closer to school starting again."

An idle thought struck, and I decided to pull an arguably unsuitable comparison out of my flank.

"It works just fine for Princess Celestia," I pointed out.

Cadance stared at me in disbelieving silence for several seconds. Twilight's eyes were narrowed without doubt, but definite thought and possibly some concern.

"Princess Celestia," Cadance said flatly.

"Mm-hmm," I confirmed, grinning.

"The same Princess Celestia who used to argue with you over your use of fire on pony's manes."

Twilight gasped, obviously shocked that anypony would ever disagree with the Equestria's oh-so-perfect Princess. Possibly some dismay that what I'd been teaching her was Celestia-disapproved, too. I might have lost some significant ground there, unfortunately.

"Indeed," I confirmed.

"How do you think your statement makes sense in any way?"

I grinned as far as my lips would stretch.

"Name the last time another nation tried to invade Equestria, and the reason why they haven't since then."

Cadance openly gaped at me while Twilight blinked in apparent befuddlement. I expected that Twilight probably hadn't gotten to those wars in any history classes yet.

"You–" Cadance sputtered. "That was war! That doesn't count; war is already the exact opposite of a healthy social relationship!"

Comprehension dawned, and Twilight relaxed. I'd been intending for this to be a joke, but if Twilight decided our methods were princess-approved if you squinted—well, Twilight would technically only be wrong for a few more years.

"And yet, very few ponies have dared to do worse than whisper insults at my passing since I started on my policy of fiery deterrence," I said smugly. "Unlike outright confrontations, I can just ignore whispers and keep reading books. Celestia might prefer that I resort to other methods, but her example of international deterrence works even on a personal level."

I wondered how much time would pass before Cadance realized that Twilight was still taking notes, and seemed much happier than thirty seconds ago. Lost ground regained.

"I—you–" Cadance said, apparently utterly incapable of conjuring a refuting argument.

After several seconds, she took a deep breath and regained control of her language centers.

"I don't even know where to start," she huffed. "Have you considered that ponies might not like you because you set some of their friends on fire?"

My smile slid away.

"You should know better," I told her. "Why in Equestria would you think that my tutors were the only ones to hold their opinions?"

Cadance twitched, clearly realizing that she had put her hoof in her mouth.

"...Oh," Cadance said weakly.

The alicorn promptly pulled a befuddled Twilight against herself like the filly was a stuffed plushy.

"So, yes, deterrence through fear isn't perfect," I told Cadance. "But they're too afraid to do anything that I can't either ignore outright, or dampen into silence with a deliberately underpowered privacy field. That is a vast improvement. If ponies don't like Twilight following in my hoofsteps as far as social self-defense goes? They should make sure that she doesn't need to defend herself."

Cadance only hugged Twilight tighter to herself. I had the sudden thought that Twilight's puzzled expression right then might be remarkably similar to my own surrounding some of Celestia's recent behavior: that she had no idea why a princess was acting like this, but she wasn't opposed.

Cadance had better not follow Celestia's example in other ways and hurt Twilight with neglect. Cadance still definitely needed to pick up more princessly duties, sure, but since she'd already established obligations to Twilight, not too many royal duties.

"I wonder if this is how Celestia feels all the time," Cadance unhappily murmured.

Be better than her; don't just ignore it, I refrained from saying in front of Twilight. She might decide that Celestia's example was a good one, and that was the last thing I wanted.

"Do you want to borrow Miss Smartypants?" Twilight offered. "She helps me feel better a lot of the time."

Cadance's expression eased back into normality, the mare wearing it becoming successfully distracted. She rested her neck across Twilight, earning a small squeak from half-squishing the filly.

"Thank you, Twilight, but I'll be okay. I already have a perfectly cuddly little doll right here," Cadance said playfully. "I think I'll just carry you with me forever."

Twilight's eyes widened with feigned horror even as she smiled. The filly started ineffectually struggling against the older alicorn's strength.

"Noooo! I'm not a doll!" she pretend protested.

Two forelegs stretched toward me, and I couldn't keep surprise from my features.

"Save me, Sunset!"

Considering how little time we'd known each other, Twilight's huge, expectant eyes and outstretched hooves should not have garnered as much of an emotional response as they did, cute or not. Remaining aloof wasn't quite unthinkable, but it would certainly be unacceptable.

Worse, it wasn't like my brain ever shut off even in sleep, and I had to willfully push away alternative meanings of her request. Yes, she was already at the point of breaking down in tears at the thought of returning to Magic Kindergarten, but we were working on that. I would do what I could for her, but not at the cost of repeating Celestia's mistakes.

Celestia does 'what she can,' too, came an uncomfortable thought. Excuses wouldn't cut it when a filly's future was at stake. I would need to think about this more later. Not yet; for now, I had an expectant foal to entertain.

"Princess Mi Amore Cadenza," I intoned, circulating power through my horn even though I had yet to decide what I would do. "Release the filly, or suffer the consequences."

Twilight giggled before clapping one forehoof over her muzzle. Cadance looked satisfyingly uneasy at the threat, but to her credit, she did not immediately surrender. It was just about the best reaction I could hope for: awareness that I was not to be trifled with, but also trust that I wouldn't actually hurt her during a filly's playtime.

"Do your worst, wizard," Cadance haughtily sniffed, sticking her nose up like she was one of those high society mares who were navigational hazards for everypony nearby.

Tradition probably dictated that I should start tickling Cadance at this point. We weren't anywhere remotely that close yet. I instead telekinetically gripped every nearby pillow and cushion not currently in use and gleefully took this socially acceptable excuse to start pummeling Cadance with them.

"Have at thee, villain!"

Last edited:
Viewer Omake: Reading Ahead
Reading Ahead

Day Court was boring.

That was a true statement! "Was" means different things in different tenses. But it might be better if I said instead that Day Court had been boring until Phellip Lovehoof walked in wearing a straw-brained attempt at a spell formula made out of little stylized suns and started trying to convince Pr-- Celestia, that he had only been carrying out Her explicit will when he roped half a community into the construction of a temple to Her with the entirety of their winter squirrel-fund.

This was obviously ridiculous. Not only was Celestia actively against being viewed as a Goddess, but she was also competent. Sure, she might've ordered something like this as a test -- but Celestia's tests were generally reserved for somepony, not a backwater farmer.

No, what made Lovehoof interesting was the spell formula. It was completely misshapen -- you'd never get anything done with it -- but something about it just clopped at my brain, and it wasn't anything coming out of the Colt's mouth...

"You can't just hang us out to dry like this, Princess! We've even gotten the rubies in yesterday, and we'll be finished with the circle just like you said by tomorrow!"

... What.

My eyes bugged out. The resonance frequency of rubies would, in fact, make something of the solar spell formula Lovehoof was wearing. I quickly ran some numbers in my head, and I did not like where they went.

It sounded like Celestia was moving towards throwing the Colt out of Day Court, and that simply would not do. So --

Mmm. I rearranged the magic, shuffled the illusion ward off to the side so I wouldn't set off the sensors, and...

"Excuse me," I called out, "but I have a question. Is this temple you've been building shaped like a dodecahedron?"

Everypony fell silent. You could hear a pin drop -- and Lovehoof's eyes had gone as big as apples as he stared at me incredulously.

Celestia, meanwhile, blinked -- and read the Colt's expression like the open book it was. She turned to me. "Sunset. I assume this is important somehow?"

I smiled. Nopony else in all Equestria might have been able to piece this together, and victorious adrenaline surged through me at the realization. "This pony," I grinned at Celestia, "is being deceived into carrying out a dark ritual by somebeing pretending to be you, your Highness."

Last edited:
Chapter 19: Withdrawal

Sunset Shimmer

The hours following my therapeutic pillow pummeling of Cadance passed in comfortable warmth, both physically and emotionally. We soon finished the initial lesson on fire spells — and that we finished in one day at all was me-tier incredible by pony standards, let alone the few hours we took.

Somewhere along the way, the tutoring session for Cadance (and Twilight) turned into a session primarily focused on Twilight, with Cadance occasionally looking bemused, but clueless, in the background. Oh, Cadance held her own when I wasn't answering Twilight's stockpiled questions, but properly teaching Cadance might require the occasional side lesson so that she could catch up.

Assuming that I did give teaching Cadance my all, anyway. She loved Twilight enough that my teaching the tiny tyke might be enough of a peace offering — but then again, if I didn't, Cadance would probably continue being useless. So that was right out. The accidental Fire of Friendship demonstrated that Cadance could be just as effective as an alicorn should be when she got off her flank and actually tried.

Plus, windigos might not be much of a threat these days to anypony save miners braving the frozen north, but plenty of spells could be fueled quite effectively with love. Shields came to mind. Collateral damage was always a concern should Celestia cut loose, but if Cadance were to remove that as a risk? Celestia's skills with smaller-scale combat spells and skills might have atrophied, but I doubted she had lost the ability to invoke the Sun at will.

...Actually, can she do it indoors? It was something that I would need to consider and ask about. Since she could apparently still move the Sun without line of sight, I thought that it should still be possible, but I couldn't be certain.

Either way, the other races were lucky that Celestia was benevolent. Her magical might alone should be enough to let her conquer the entire continent if she were so inclined. Fortunately for them, her personality ensured that she would likely overwork herself to death within years if she tried. Celestia instead confined herself to making it clear that Equestria was off-limits while encouraging peace treaties backed by a network of trade deals, rather effectively neutering many of the financial incentives for war. Oh, war still happened between our neighbors when somebeing thought they were too clever to fit in their own skulls, but the resulting embargoes and financial devastation ensured that nations near Equestria were, if not exactly peaceful, then at least more well-behaved than they could be.

That other nations still had periodic wars at all still tended to give them a poor reputation as lawless, bloody places in the eyes of most ponies. A fair number of ponies visited our neighbors for professional reasons, such as compiling histories and other cultural records, but few ponies ever left Equestria for vacation purposes. Why should we? Equestria had plenty of internal sub-cultures to keep ponies feeling as though they were visiting someplace exotic without ever leaving Equestria, and the recent and increasingly widespread railway system ensured that travel was a far less daunting prospect than it used to be. If I remembered correctly, Manehattan was supposed to be a particularly popular vacation spot.

Not that Celestia is ever going to take one of those. We might visit other parts of Equestria to ensure they knew that they were still known and appreciated, but never for personal enjoyment. The itinerary was always filled with meeting after meeting rather than anything relaxing — and then, most of the time, I wasn't even allowed to attend said meetings and was instead left to wander around with just a guard or two to chaperone.

After the initial pyromancy lesson was done, Twilight retreated to her room — albeit with some trouble climbing up the stairs — and came back with a haphazard pile of parchment larger than most ponies' notes for an entire course, assuming they took notes at all. She hadn't been joking about using a list for all her lists of questions, although I would argue that it amounted to a somewhat less organized table of contents.

(Twilight also introduced me to her ragdoll, Miss Smartypants, which Twilight telekinetically manipulated to wave at me. I graciously introduced myself to the doll in turn, the minor loss of dignity more than compensated by Twilight's delighted giggling.)

The contents of Twilight's questions did not disappoint. The vast majority were requests for elaboration regarding a magical law that Twilight thought might contradict something she'd previously observed, or various spell fragments and matrices that Twilight wanted to know the different components of. Unlike me, she wasn't the kind of pony to assemble them for fun and see what exploded.

I would admit that tutoring Twilight probably wouldn't be half as fun if she was just as intelligent, but didn't view me with starry-eyed trust and admiration. Having another pony enthusiastically absorb everything I told her went well beyond merely 'gratifying,' and into the realm of an activity I enjoyed just as much as exploring a particularly interesting field of magic.

By the time the noon bell rang and heralded lunch, I actually found myself regretting the need to visit Day Court. That regret was ridiculous and short-sighted. Celestia was finally giving me what I'd wanted for a long, long time, and my brain wanted to let some transient enjoyment get in the way of that? It was ridiculous. I felt confident that the novelty of teaching Twilight would wear off sooner or later; I expected it would remain somewhat enjoyable, but not this fun. Most of my reasons for planning continued lessons were for the sake of not being a Celestia-tier hypocrite, not due to personal enjoyment.

Twilight's family obviously wasn't affluent enough for servants, and Cadance was Equestria's laziest princess, so I'd expected that I would need to cook for all three of us. I was sure that I could manage something basic even if my cooking skills might have atrophied over the last few years.

"Lunchtime!" Cadance called from the kitchen. "I made hayburgers!"

I blinked, abruptly realizing that I had been teaching solely Twilight for… how long? At least a few minutes, obviously, but when had Cadance snuck out? I hadn't even noticed.

"You have to leave after lunch, don't you?" Twilight quickly asked. "So could we pleeeeease eat later?"

The attempt earned a smile from me even if we both knew it didn't work like that.

"Hey, I'll be back soon," I reassured her, finally reaching out to indulge in a pat.

I didn't expect Twilight to take my reaching toward her with one hoof as an invitation to go for a full-fledged hug. Sure, she broke it off after about two seconds, but I was shocked that she'd done it of her own volition at all after knowing me for only a few hours.

"Tomorrow?" she asked hopefully.

Cadance came trotting in, smiling but empty-hooved. Apparently, confining us to eating in the dining side of the kitchen was a rule that she wasn't willing to break. Whether that was due to wanting to teach Twilight good habits or simply because Cadance was too lazy to clean up after any crumbs, I couldn't say.

"You silly filly," Cadance teased, "you don't need a foalsitter tomorrow at all! Your mother is going to be home, remember?"

Twilight pouted.

"But Sunset knows everything!"

I opened my mouth to correct her.

"Or at least so much more than I do that the difference is negley—niggly—very small," Twilight added. "If I keep learning from her, Mom and Dad will need to admit that I don't need Magic Kindergarten! And Sunset's lessons are very very very very very very very very very—"

Twilight inhaled dramatically.

"—very very very very very very very very super fun!"

She wasn't really wrong about not needing Magic Kindergarten at this rate, although I doubted her parents would see it that way. They sounded like the sort who would make her go in the name of learning how to socialize even though Twilight's experience thus far had been unpleasant enough to induce tears at the thought of returning. Plus, we hadn't yet gone into the timers and restrictions that she would need to make mane-burning spells properly safe; those were best practiced on spells for which failure did not equate to uncontrolled fires.

"Sunset is still a student, too," Cadance told her, effectively saving me from needing to tell her myself. "And Princess Celestia is going to be giving her more lessons soon, so we don't really know what her schedule will be like. It sounds like you got through quite a bit already, didn't you? I could only follow a little bit of your conversations."

While it was initially nice that Cadance was willing to let Twilight down so I didn't have to, I found myself growing somewhat irked as Cadance continued. She sounded too much like Celestia right then. I would admit that the urge to be contrary wasn't a good reason for me to overextend myself, though.

"I'm sure that I can come by for at least a few hours every week for the foreseeable future," I promised. "But Cadance is right that I'm going to be busy. Can you keep a secret?"

Twilight's pout at getting less than she wanted froze on her face. She promptly transitioned to smiling and nodding with all the unrestrained enthusiasm of a foal who could not, in fact, keep a secret. I didn't mind too much if she told; it wasn't as though it could spread outside her immediate family before the information became public knowledge.

"I'm being adopted by Princess Celestia," I stage-whispered.

Twilight blinked and stared blankly for several seconds while her brain registered the meaning of my words. Finally, it clicked. Twilight gasped and began trotting in place from sheer excitement, alternating so that the two hooves diagonal from each other held her up at any given time.

"Are you becoming a princess?" Twilight breathed.

"At this rate, much sooner than I'd expected."

I blinked and refocused on Twilight, having been distracted by an errant thought that I could no longer pin down.

"Only alicorns are allowed to be princesses of Equestria," I told Twilight in a more normal tone. "I'm being adopted in part because I'm close to that–"

"She is apparently close," Cadance interrupted, "but that's not why Aunt Celestia is adopting her."

I huffed and rolled my eyes.

"Cadance and I have been arguing over Celestia's motives since soon after I found out," I told Twilight. "Celestia likes Cadance more than–"

"I'm willing to stay quiet for a lot of things," Cadance again interrupted, "but filling Twilight's head with your horrifyingly unhealthy misunderstandings of Celestia's motives and relationships is not on that list. Could you please stick to what you know for sure instead of speculation?"

I growled under my breath, but reluctantly obliged rather than jinxing Cadance like I was tempted to. I supposed Twilight didn't need to know about Celestia's motives anyway.

"No, I'm not becoming a princess due to my adoption," I summarized. "A duchess, yes, but I declined an award of holdings."

I hesitated and rethought what I was going to say. Twilight almost certainly wouldn't be able to keep quiet if I told her that I would be a princess soon, and that was much more privileged information. I'd already said more than I really should have.

"Princess Celestia has never adopted anypony as a first-degree relative — that is, as a daughter," I continued. "So I don't know how much time related activities will take up. I'm confident that I can free a few hours every week for you, though, probably as chunks like today. I'm including when school starts back up, don't worry."

Twilight continued dancing in place. If we weren't in the middle of a conversation, I wouldn't be surprised if she started running in circles to burn excess energy.

"Thank you very much! And I'm glad you're being adopted!" Twilight said happily. "Don't worry, I know that is much much much more important than teaching me!"

Oh, now that was an unpleasant mirror. Especially since it wasn't exactly accurate. Day Court was so often filled with petty problems, and I would much rather be teaching a likely future archmage the skills she would need to have a far greater impact on Equestria. At the same time, the adoption in general was more important even if some errant emotions seemed to want to stay with Twilight.

Besides, I'd always intended for the promise of a few hours weekly to be the minimum. I just didn't want to follow in Celestia's hoofsteps and promise more than I could deliver.

"Since you'll be busy, could you please bring me some books when you do foalsit me?" Twilight asked hopefully. "I promise not to write on them or anything! Books are important!"

Twilight was absolutely intent on mirroring me in practically every way, wasn't she? Possibly with a bit more reverence for books, but I'd once asked for materials to use on my own, too. It wasn't as good as a lesson, but self-study was better than being taught by idiots.

"I can definitely do that much," I promised. "Now, I don't know about you, but I don't like hayburgers half as much when they're cold."

Twilight gasped theatrically–

"I forgot!"

–and galloped for the kitchen as fast as her tiny little legs could carry her, Cadance trailing along afterward. I couldn't blame the Fire of Friendship for making me feel as though my heart was going to melt as I watched her. Twilight was adorable, and it was all I could do not to dissolve into baby-talk in her presence. I never used baby-talk, not even for pets! Being exposed to distilled cute for this long was clearly doing strange things to my brain.

Although, speaking of the Fire…

"So, not to alarm anypony since it doesn't actually burn physical materials," I called as I followed at a more sedate pace, "but the Fire is even bigger than when it was first conjured. I think it's going to become a permanent fixture of Twilight's living room at this rate."

I was exaggerating for the sake of teasing, but not by much. If my anger was now potent enough to make fireballs last longer, it stood to reason that Cadance's love and regular visits to Twilight's house would refresh the Fire.

Cadance swallowed her mouthful of burger that she'd wasted no time in starting on, and smiled sheepishly.

"Should we — put it out before you go?" Cadance ventured. "You know how to safely contain fire, don't you?"

"Maybe we should, but I figure this will be good encouragement for you to hurry up and learn how to safely put it out yourself," I shamelessly told her. "Even if your first attempts turned out weird, we can't always assume that you'll produce Fires of Friendship when attempting pyromancy. Dousing flames with a minimum of collateral damage is an important life skill."

Cadance groaned and slumped in her seat, unable or unwilling to argue against me even though I was half pulling an excuse out of my flank for the sake of making her life difficult.

"Fine," she grumbled. "But I'm making you explain it to Twilight's parents."

"Nope!" I refused happily. "I'm going to be at the Castle, remember? You're on your own for this one."

Cadance slumped further in an impressive feat of bad posture that would have my old etiquette tutors angrily ranting for multiple minutes.

"Feed you to the Fire," she muttered darkly.

An odd sound escaped Twilight that soon transitioned into coughing, the filly likely having laughed just in time to inhale food. Both my and Cadance's full attention immediately fixated on ensuring the well-being of our charge. I would admit to absolutely nopony that she handled it much more calmly than I did. Foals were fragile, okay? And Twilight was obviously the most precious foal of all.

Surprisingly, Cadance's cooking was actually pretty good. Twilight, rather predictably, kept asking about magic both between bites and with a mouth half full of food. Just as predictably came the post-lunch question:

"Do you have to leave?" Twilight again asked.

She was pouting with eyes slightly scrunched in an obvious attempt at emotional manipulation. Paradoxically, the attempt and failure made her even cuter than a success would. This was a pony who had clearly read about the success of 'big, sad eyes,' yet had absolutely no idea how to execute the technique. I had zero intention of ever teaching her.

The situation was once again uncomfortably similar to some of my own interactions with Princess Celestia. However, unlike her, I was planning to take extra time to tutor Twilight.

"Princess Celestia shuffled the order of today's Day Court petitions specifically so that I could attend this one," I told her. "So, yes."

Twilight gave up on the big eyes and settled for a more genuine pout.

"Okay. Thank you very much for today's lessons! I learned a whoooooole lot."

Twilight paused.

"If there's an accident and the entrance into the castle is blocked, will you come back?" she asked.

Also a question similar to ones I'd asked previously, but unlike Celestia, I wouldn't judgmentally assume that Twilight would commit acts of destructive sabotage if doing so might mean getting more time with her. Celestia was right, of course, but it still hurt.

"Allow me to answer that with a question: want to see something cool?"

Twilight's pout slightly eased.

"Is it magic?" she asked hopefully.

It was a bad idea to tell foals what their Special Talent likely was; when somepony was wrong or only part right, the foal they told might waste years trying to twist themselves to fit expectations and only discover their Special Talent much later in life as a result. That being said, I would be utterly shocked if Twilight's Cutie Mark wasn't strongly magic-related. She was too much like me.

"It is," I confirmed.

"Yes, please!"

I lit my horn, prepared a familiar spell–

"Bye, Twilight. I'll see you soon!"

–and teleported away.

I should see about warding Twilight's home later, especially against fire. Nopony should be able to teleport in or out like this.

I'd thought that my new alicorn magic-slash-emotion sense might have settled down while I was with Twilight. I was mistaken. Going from the love-warmed interior of Twilight's home to the prickling gazes of curious, but ultimately uncaring ponies was not unlike slipping and falling into a pitfall trap. I had to fight not to flee, feeling too dazed to start the next teleport for over half a minute. The fact that ponies neither recognized me nor cared provided yet another reason that I should hurry up and become an alicorn already. Much of the rich and powerful might be slimy, but Princess Celestia was always recognized and viewed with uncompromising adoration by practically everypony else.

The Fire in Twilight's home had to be extinguished after all. Sure, it had been comfortable, but apparently too much so. If one was ignited in my room, I wasn't sure that I'd ever leave instead of becoming a full-fledged recluse. Certain stories of monsters luring victims with artificial sensations suddenly made much more sense now.

I finally shook my head and forced myself to keep moving. The jarring transition was unpleasant, but ultimately, this was what normality felt like and I had best get used to it. I had a case to read up on ahead of the session lest I look like an unprepared fool and give Celestia an excuse to revoke the offer of accompaniment. I didn't have time to feel sorry for myself, and doing so was pointless anyway. Life wouldn't change just because I felt a little sad; if I wanted conditions to improve, I would need to earn that improvement.

If I did a good enough job, maybe being around Celestia would feel like the Fire someday.

Last edited:
Chapter 20: This could have been resolved via Equestrian mail
Special thanks to @saganatsu, @DB_Explorer, @fictionfan, @Adephagia, @Wordsmith, @Taut_Templar, Jamie Wahls, @Elfalpha, @BunnyLord, @Drcatspaw, @tinkerware, @Lonelywolf999, D'awwctor, @magicdownunder, @Mordred, @Nuew, @Greydrone, and my 16 other patrons not mentioned here. An extremely enthusiastic "Thank you" to @Torgamous for her patronage as well. Also, if you're not on here, you fit the tier, and you want to be added, please tell me.

AN: Enabled and beta-read by @ensou. Illuminating Invitation may now go on hiatus for about two weeks or so; I've got finals and final projects that I need to focus on. There will be a previously unposted blooper somewhere in that period to help tide ya over, though.

Sunset Shimmer

I honestly didn't need the multiple hours that I was given after returning home from Twilight's house. Yes, okay, it was 'only' two, but that was more than enough time to read up on the preexisting documentation and paperwork presented by the lower court who'd referred it to Celestia.

The case in question was exactly as ridiculous as I expected it to be, and something that really should have been resolved by local nobility or even royal auditors rather than Celestia. Honestly, I wasn't sure why Cadance thought I should bother helping with this case, specifically. It was a dumb tale of ludicrously blatant greed and ponies thinking they were much more clever than they actually were. I even triple-checked my work to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, but nope. Still infuriatingly straightforward.

I took all of five minutes to decide against wearing anything more than my recent gift from Celestia: the gemstone necklace based on my Cutie Mark, which was itself apparently a miniature version of what she planned to make and enchant for me over a longer period of time. With the exception of Celestia, practically everypony who thought themselves important always wore their finest clothing when called to court, but I could not possibly emphasize how little I cared. Celestia only ever wore her gold regalia regardless of season or what was considered fashionable at the time, and I saw no reason to break tradition on that front.

Besides, my old clothes didn't precisely fit anymore, and wearing ill-fitting clothes would be 'worse' than none at all. The necklace would do just fine.

The weirdest part of my preparations was realizing that my magic had turned back to red after spontaneously turning cyan soon after I'd seen Starswirl's Mirror, and apparently remaining cyan all the way up until I'd visited Twilight's house? Something weird was going on there, and I made a mental note to start a health journal. Spontaneous magical color changes weren't entirely unheard of, especially if they were between different colors already represented as part of a pony's body, but the timing was exceptionally suspect. Nopony really knew why magic sometimes changed color, and Celestia might be impressed if I managed to solve a mystery older than written history.

My remaining time was spent trotting through the main library of the castle, making a timetable of books to lend to Twilight. Bring too many at once and it would be difficult for her to perceive any progress as she worked through them. Too few, and she would finish with time to spare and grow bored before my next visit.

By the time a Royal Guard knocked politely on a bookshelf near me, I had assembled a tentative timetable for at least the next month, assuming once-a-week lessons. I would leave a few extra books with her parents just in case she finished early, but I didn't want to give her the full pile at once. It wasn't meant as a strict schedule, and unlike Celestia, I would be very careful to maintain realistic expectations.

"Lady Shimmer?" the messenger said quietly. "Your presence is requested in Day Court."

Though the mare was far too professional to let it reach her features, I suspected I now knew what harmless curiosity felt like: the faintest brush of contact, not dissimilar to if I passed another pony in a particularly crowded street. She didn't ask, though, as she shouldn't. She would never be trusted with verbal messages if she were going to bother recipients to learn the context behind them.

Normally, I would simply give a curt nod of acknowledgement and be on my way. This messenger was practically the exact definition of the help, though, and Voice had been quite clear on how I should try to treat them when it cost me little.

"Thank you," I whispered back.

The simple acknowledgement had a greater effect than expected. The mare's features didn't change, but for just a moment, I thought I felt something… sweet? Not as strong as sugar, but definitely pleasant.

Pleased surprise?

Well. If my new senses were going to bribe me with reminders to remain polite, I certainly wouldn't complain.

"Of course, my lady," said the messenger, giving a small bow. "I wish you a good day."

That, too, was more respect than ponies normally gave me. Maybe Voice is on to something after all.

Long stained glass windows lined Celestia's combination throne room and audience chamber, depicting some of Celestia's and ponykind's great triumphs through the ages. The oldest featured the reign and downfall of the God of Chaos, Discord, in all his mismatched glory. Discord incorporated body parts from seemingly every creature to catch his fancy, including limbs from manticores, griffins, dragons, and goats, plus wings from pegasi and threstrals, the tail of a dragon, a deer horn, the body of a pony, and a few other mismatched bits that I couldn't remember without review. That he apparently called himself a 'draconequus' was of little concern considering that he was the only known example thereof, and had likely altered his own default form according to his whims. He was apparently quite happy to alter everypony else's.

A few of the oldest windows featured a dark blue alicorn, but whether 'her' presence should be taken literally remained a subject of furious debate. Most believed that the dark blue alicorn should be viewed symbolically for the same reason that Equestria remained a 'diarchy' despite having only one ruler and one throne. As a symbol of what, nopony was quite sure. A ponification of the Moon itself? The ponies of Equestria? Some other explanation, like the old pony's tale of Nightmare Moon? Probably not that last one, I felt, given as that mythological figure would allegedly eat foals if not bribed with candy or pranks, and nopony so unstable could ever become an alicorn. That kind of bribe sounded more suitable for Discord.

Others believed that this alicorn died in the Crystal War against Sombra, a power-hungry unicorn sorcerer responsible for the destruction of the Crystal Empire some eleven centuries ago. Celestia had obviously defeated him, but not until after the entire region north of Equestria had been turned from mere tundra into a near-impenetrable wasteland of snow and ice. The only ponies reckless enough to brave the north were mining companies seeking the magically-charged crystals that could be found there, and the well-compensated railroad company that supported said miners. Even then, expeditions usually only occurred once every few months, and there had been more than one close call with windigos.

Personally, I wasn't sure what to think of the dark blue alicorn's appearance in early windows. I leaned slightly toward the symbolism side of the argument. Celetia's mask always went up in full force followed by a change of subject the few times that I'd made the mistake of asking, with the closest thing I got to a straight answer being "a mistake." I hadn't had the courage to ask whether the window I'd been asking about at the time, the final window the blue alicorn appeared in, was the mistake, or if the events depicted within were.

A recent memory surfaced: "I have not been as horrified as I was on the night of your ritual for nine hundred eighty-eight years, and the events of this Summer Sun Celebration have already joined that atrocity in my nightmares.

The timeline would be about right for that last window, wouldn't it? So perhaps I should take the dark blue alicorn's appearances literally after all. Either way, it was ancient history at this point and not really relevant to the modern era.

To approach Celestia's throne, a pony would need to walk down the long length of the throne room, between the two crowds of observing ponies lurking on either side of a roped-off red carpet walkway. Between tourists, friends and family of petitioners, the press, bored gawkers with time off, and agents of the nobility keeping abreast of modern affairs, Day Court seldom featured less than two hundred visitors. After all, Day Court attendance was free and open to the public.

After the unexplained disruption brought about by my ritual, this was not one of the slow days. A quick application of Outrider's Floating Eye peering in from an exterior window showed that the throne room was packed, if still not nearly to capacity, then certainly enough that personal space was starting to become a trifle strained and the roped area closer to the throne than it might normally be. Definitely not a crowd that I wanted to walk past, especially given my new emotional senses.

Technically, Celestia's throne room was supposed to be completely warded against any ponies save Celestia trying to teleport in from outside, and even point-to-point teleportation within the room demanded far more magic than normal. Particularly stupid wizards with more skill than sense occasionally tried, and ended up needing to be rescued from windowsills, hedges, trees, or the roof when they inevitably manifested outside — assuming they didn't botch the teleport altogether and suffer backlash or magical exhaustion from the attempt.

Supposed to be warded was the operative term, here. If the Tome of the Trespassers had taught me anything, it was that reality's fabric was not as neatly layered as most unicorns believed. Three-dimensional space was a conceit invented by minds acclimated to operating in that many dimensions, and just as Outsiders were not confined to three dimensions, neither was magic or reality itself. Three dimensions added a whole new level of maneuverability compared to two dimensions, operating in four dimensions offered a similar level of improvement compared to three, and so on.

Some ponies could think in four dimensions, especially if they were at the point of being able to teleport, and the wards were designed to block such attempts. Even I couldn't properly think in five or more. But I could grasp the concept of higher dimensions, and from there, I could simply send a probe to navigate toward through a path that I knew had to exist. Light served my purposes quite nicely in this case; if it didn't change again due to encountering the atmospheric refraction of physical space, I would know that wasn't a viable path.

I appeared at the bottom of the dais before Celestia's throne in a flash of red light, having completely bypassed the wards by virtue of never touching the layers they operated upon. It was too bad that sheer smugness wasn't a viable power source for any spells I cared to cast, as even Celestia looked startled at my appearance. Somepony screamed seemingly on reflex, and an instant later, several more ponies joined. Fortunately, the screams trailed off into an embarrassed silence after a few seconds.

For once, I didn't need to resist the urge to glare at the offending portion of the crowd even if they were likely just half a dozen or so out of hundreds. Similarly, although a multitude of curious eyes watching me proved to produce mildly unpleasant feelings of contact and prickling, those sensations were ultimately overridden by my own surprise.

My gaze stayed fixed on where I was apparently supposed to be sitting to Celestia's right. I had expected a cushion beside Celestia's throne, assuming I wasn't simply to stand the whole time. Nowhere on my list was a chair that, although it came nowhere close to the height of Celestia's throne, certainly evoked the same shape and style. If I'd remembered right, Cadance had a similar — if slightly larger — throne the few times that she'd sat in on Day Court.

This was a capital-S Statement, and one that I hadn't expected in the slightest. It didn't go quite as far as saying I was a princess already, but it was in that same realm of confidence. When Celestia said that my absence today would be problematic, she had really been understating things.

"Right on time," Celestia said, her voice calmly carrying through the room with no signs of the surprise that I knew I'd seen for a moment. "Please have a seat, and we may begin."

I blinked, and on a whim, teleported from my current position up to my pseudo-throne. I manifested already oriented to face the crowd. Sure enough, my technique worked just fine for avoiding the increased magical cost that the wards would normally impose for teleporting within the throne room.

The pseudo-throne wasn't just comfortable. It felt like her. Like the Sun shining on me, and so thoroughly saturated with Celestia's magic that she must have manifested it herself. The pseudo-throne would therefore be temporary, and she could dispel it to send me sprawling if I misbehaved badly enough. She probably wouldn't since that might send me toppling off the dais altogether, but she could.

"Send in the next petitioners," Celestia called.

There was a bit of fuss at the entrance on the far side of the room, and I had to wonder if making petitioners walk for so long to reach Celestia's throne made cases take more or less time. More, for the time wasted in letting them leave and arrive once more? Or less, for ensuring they arrived as humble as they could?

"Another 'security flaw'?" Celstia murmured without turning away from the two approaching ponies, just loudly enough to reach my ears.

"Actually, it's more of a flaw with how ponies perceive the world," I whispered even more quietly, trusting in Celestia's enhanced senses to let her hear me. "If anypony else learns how to do that, we'll have much larger problems on our hooves. Still, I'll see what I can do."

"Do not feel as though you need to take on another project,"
Celestia cautioned. "Equestria remains at peace, and I expect to have plenty of warning should that change. As you said, we will have bigger problems if an archwizard of your caliber wishes us harm."

Yes, we certainly will. She was right for the wrong reasons: I shouldn't try to find ways to block higher-dimensional bypasses yet simply because protecting her person was more important. There wasn't much point in protecting the entire throne room if Celestia herself remained as vulnerable as she apparently always was.

"The restrictions I outlined earlier no longer apply," Celestia continued. "You may, in fact, charge this case on your own if you so desire, although I will step in if things get out of hoof."

Considering that I'd gone through all the trouble of leaving Twilight and reading up ahead of time, I hadn't exactly been intending to adhere to those ridiculous restrictions anymore, but potentially hoofing me the entire case was a pleasant surprise. I couldn't even blame her for the qualifier. Petitioners could get emotional sometimes when they lost, and one of the ponies here was either selfish or an outright con artist.

"A certain petitioner really rubs me the wrong way so far, so I'll take you up on that — except the sentencing or if something really weird comes up, I don't know how to complete those parts."

"Be sure not to make your final judgments until after arguments are made,"
Celestia cautioned.

A good general rule to follow, but not really applicable in this case. I'd seen enough already. Still, I inclined my head to signal acknowledgement.

The two petitioners finally reached the bottom of the dais and stopped, looking — or in Night Flurry's case, squinting — up at us. I idly wondered if the positioning wasn't just to emphasize that Celestia was above them, but also to ensure that anypony taking too long would start to develop a sore neck. It would be a petty sort of revenge, but harmless enough that I could see Celestia subconsciously indulging in it.

Night Flurry was an elderly thestral, or bat-pony, with what was likely once firm black fur and eyes graying with age. Her mane had long since turned entirely white, but even behind a nest of wrinkles, there was undisguised anger and steely determination on display. Insufficient sunglasses only partly protected her eyes from glare, and a dark blue dress patterned with small stars covered most of her body. To say she was my favored petitioner should be obvious.

Corona Graph was a slender, long-limbed white unicorn with a yellow mane and green eyes who could probably have made a comfortable living as a model, considering fashion's eternal emulation of Celestia as the ideal of beauty. It wasn't hard to see how the mare managed to gather a following; appearance mattered much more than it should, and the similarity to Celestia would only help her. Corona had eschewed nicer clothing in favor of a hooded white traveling cloak — albeit a suspiciously clean one — as though we might forget about why she was here and only view her as a simple priestess.

Unfortunately, accompanying their arrival was the sensation of greasy fur. Despite there being only two ponies before us and probably only one who was emitting the feeling of greed, it remained possibly half as intense as it had been when we were faced with a good half-dozen reporters. I hated it and had to discreetly utilize an illusion to conceal my ears and expression going flat with discomfort, disguising the motion as telekinetically reaching for a canteen of water beside my throne. I couldn't say for certain which of the two ponies was responsible for the sensation, but I felt that I had a pretty good idea.

"Day Court is now in session," boomed the herald, an enchantment on her helmet helping preserve her voice despite the volume. "The case of Night Flurry vs. Corona Graph shall be presided over by Princess Celestia and Lady Sunset Shimmer."

He hadn't gone over Celestia's full list of titles like was normal for Day Court, I noticed. It was definitely Celestia's doing, and I suspected I even knew why: this way, my inclusion wouldn't be an afterthought. My old hypothesis of Celestia expecting me to fail here seemed less and less likely by the second. Maybe she would instead forge an excuse from a smaller, more private meeting with heads of government departments.

As expected, the announcement stirred startled murmurs and exclamations from the crowd. I could see Night Flurry squinting behind her sunglasses, though, and I suddenly remembered Voice's earlier comments about the difficulties of thestrals. Standing in Celestia's brightly-lit throne room must be agony for the nocturnal mare.

"Night Flurry," I called rather than let them start presenting their arguments. "Would you like a Moon's Respite charm? I can't imagine the light is comfortable for your eyes, and it should help."

The old bat-pony briefly looked as though I'd asked her whether she would like free money, and once again, the feeling of sugar manifested. Definitely pleased surprise, then. Even Celestia twitched beside me. I didn't see what her deal was; thestrals might not be able to cast it themselves, but it was a simple enough spell.

"That would be wonderful, Lady Shimmer," said the old mare, her voice somehow sounding dignified despite slight squeakiness. "Thank you."

The slight squeakiness wasn't due to the runic circle that would help broadcast her words to the back of the room, I knew. Her voice was just normally like that, and I had to wonder whether that was a natural feature of thestrals or not. Now that I was thinking about it, I wasn't sure that I'd ever actually heard any of them.

I nodded briskly and casually cast the charm. Within two seconds, a black glow enveloped and concealed her eyes. Instantly, the elderly thestral visibly relaxed, her eyes widening to more normal levels rather than the pseudo-glare that squinting had necessitated. The feeling of sweetness strengthened, and — might have been followed by warmth? It was hard to say if it was from her or my not-throne.

Quiet conversations once more dominated the throne room, everypony obviously surprised by my interruption. The crowd quieted down to whispers when Celestia spoke.

"Thank you, Sunset," Celestia acknowledged, mask of Equestria's perfect princess in full force. "Night Flurry, you may proceed whenever you are ready. Corona Graph, please remain silent until she is complete; you will have your own turn to speak."

Night Flurry cleared her throat, already standing and seeming much more confident now that she could look around without squinting. The charm had been a good choice.

"Right. I've got fifteen grandfoals; some thestrals like me, some takin' after their other relatives, plus enough grandnieces and grandnephews t' make this old mare's twilight years about as eventful as you would expect from a bunch'a fillies n' colts with more energy and curiosity than good sense."

A polite ripple of laughter swept the room, and Celestia briefly donned a small, fake smile to match the joke.

"Even those takin' after the other tribes — mostly pegasi — tend t' be nocturnal like the rest of the family, though," Night continued. "So your Sun tends to evoke a good bit'a awe from everypony, Princess. Jus' because we ain't awake durin' the day don't mean we don't respect it, or you, an' what ye do to bring about our peaceful world. Some ponies don't seem t'get that, though, and we still sometimes get proselytizers tryin' t' convince us to 'accept the light.' So we didn't really think it too odd when Corona Graph here came along and followed in their hoofsteps.

"She convinced more'a our young n' stupid to trail after her than normal, but I'm old and ya learn t'accept unusual stuff by th' time ye get t' my age. They're grown ponies, they're allowed to make their own mistakes and grow from 'em. Where Corona Graph took things, though, more than crossed the line. Her 'Corona Compound' is in the middle o'nowhere, far from their families or even th' closest village, and she took everything they had. Not jus' what they carried with 'em, but all that they owned. Ponies who wanted to leave th' compound weren't given any o' their bits or belongings back, not even those with sentimental value. Even if they reached other ponies, they ain't affordin' anything."

Not making an exception for emotionally important items was definitely a crime all on its own, I noted, and something that the case brief hadn't mentioned. Hay, the law even said that ponies were allowed to utilize a reasonable degree of force when protecting objects of great emotional importance to them provided that no major or permanent physical damage was inflicted in the process. All things considered, the pony responsible for that bit of precedent, Rabble Rouser, had gotten off pretty lightly considering he'd tried to steal an heirloom locket from a member of the famous Apple clan.

"Th' compound is more'n self-sufficient, but they're still bein' worked to produce much more'n it needs even for trade," Night Flurry continued. "Nearly all o' 'em soon realized that it was a scam disguised as a community, and they ain't the only ponies. Too danged many of 'em stay jus' cause they feel like they'll be a burden on the rest'a us if they come home destitute. Others still believe in what the cult preaches, some think everything will be fine if Corona Graph and a few choice lackeys are removed, but I ain't here to dismantle a cult entirely. I'm just here to make sure ponies who want to leave don't need t'go broke to do it."

The old mare paused, and finally gave a slow nod.

"I think I've said my piece, Your Highness, my lady. Much more'n that and I'll jus' be speakin' ill o' other ponies rather'n what's objectively wrong."

The mare stepped back, and Celestia gave her a brief nod of acknowledgement before turning just enough to face the other petitioner.

"Corona Graph," Celestia said regally, "you may proceed whenever you are ready."

Corona Graph stepped forward, and I tried to figure out whether or not the feeling of grease had gotten worse. I couldn't say for sure, making its usefulness highly debatable. If I was in a room filled with ponies, knowing that most of them were greedy and self-centered wouldn't help much, now would it?

"Well. Now that we've gotten the character assassination out of the way," came Corona Graph's melodious voice, "I believe it's time to tell the actual truth."

There was no way that the imitation of Celestia wasn't deliberate. Even Celestia looked uncomfortable at hearing something so similar to herself from another mare's throat. She also didn't look any more impressed at Corona's verbal positioning than I did. This was somepony who was used to fooling yokels, not the Crown.

"Princess Celestia," Corona said, and I noted the personal appeal. "I founded, maintain, and lead what my herd insists on calling the 'Corona Compound,' a name that I certainly did not choose, and the Church of the Celestial Sequence. Just like ponies living everywhere else, members of the Compound need to work to earn their keep, but we don't 'work them to the bone.' Everypony still has plenty of free time; the only real difference is the time they spend in prayer, contemplation of your Sun, and the tenets we assembled based on the virtues you showed throughout your reign."

Now Celestia wasn't even trying to hide her discomfort, although somehow, Corona didn't seem to notice. I started to wonder if Cadance hadn't suggested my inclusion not because it might be helpful for me, but because Celestia clearly didn't want to touch this case with a hundred-foot pole.

"First among those tenets is based both upon your rule, and the founding principle of Equestria. We are all equal ponies under your Sun, rich or poor, pauper or merchant princess, and so it is that everypony donates what they own to the community upon joining. Those funds are subsequently used for the benefit of the entire compound rather than individual ponies, and beyond noting the initial donation to ensure that taxes are properly paid for the good of all Equestria, I no longer track which donation that funds are 'from,' only that it is taken from the common pool. Being more detailed might invite the special treatment that we are trying to avoid."

Oh, I really didn't like her. The only thing worse than a con artist was one who made it sound plausible. I might even think that she was just a sincere idiot if not for the grease.

"That they then turn their back on you, on the community they once chose, is their own decision, and not a reason for the rest of us to suffer. Those who wish to depart are provided with enough supplies to return to the closest village, but they already made the decision to donate their belongings to the compound. That they are subsequently selfish and wish to steal back what they already gave away is not a fair demand that I intend to humor. I will, however, say that I was not told of any requests to retrieve heirlooms, and would have approved exemptions if I had been; I am well aware that our love is the most powerful force available to ponykind."

I blinked and straightened in my seat, glad that my illusion disguised such minute movements.

Oh, you clever little witch.

Corona had to know her argument was flawed and that she was doomed to lose the case. But if she sounded like she believed it, she might feel as though she could escape with the bare minimum of losses or penalties. It might even have worked as a strategy if Celestia's perpetually overworked self wasn't paying special attention to this case due to my inclusion.

"Similarly, I have heard none of the complaints with my leadership that Night Flurry alleged," Corona calmly continued, "and I will note that she clearly did not invite anypony to act as witness to these claims, not even her own family members."

Oh, that was a mistake. A matriarch with that many grandfoals? She wouldn't have come alone.

"We're right here!" called a voice from the audience, and I smiled behind the safety of my illusion.

Still, I didn't exactly know the procedure for ponies breaking procedure like this, even when they had a good point.

"This qualifies as 'unusual enough,'" I whispered to Celestia.

Rather than acknowledge my words directly, Celestia simply glanced at the part of the room where a quartet of squinting thestrals had started hovering above the rest of the crowd.

"Your presence is acknowledged," Celestia dryly noted, "and I will recommend that Corona Graph revise her argument accordingly. You may be called upon later if necessary."

I could see anger and dismay flash across Corona's features in the moments before Celestia looked back at her. I couldn't feel anything except the grease, though. Could I only feel emotions that were directed at me? It would explain why I hadn't felt much beyond presences before breakfast. I hadn't exactly been around many ponies since the Dirge of Dreams, and teleporting felt weird enough that I would have dismissed any unusual sensations in the aftermath. Even the guards were paying more attention to their surroundings than to me, as they were supposed to.

"I retract my previous claim," Corona said stiffly. "Still, I believe any complaints to be from a distinct minority, and although I am obviously too far below Your Highness to properly imitate Day Court, I did institute a system for bringing petitions to my notice. If necessary, I am perfectly willing to hand control over of the Church's finances to another member, and will ensure that ponies are aware that they are supposed to keep their heirlooms rather than donating them. However, I still believe it to be inappropriate for ponies to attempt to take back what they have already donated. Other charities would not let them do so, and it is even worse when they are taking from the hooves of those they have prayed beside."

Corona bowed her head and stepped back.

"I have said my piece, Your Highness. I entrust myself to your judgment."

"While appreciated," Celestia said evenly, "I am afraid that in your case, I am not the only pony who is going to render such. Sunset?"

Finally. Let's get this stupid case over and done with already. Her ledgers alone should have been enough.

I took a deep breath, forced my ears and expression back into normality despite the still-present grease, and dropped the illusion disguising my expressions.

"Corona Graph," I started grimly, "to say I am unimpressed with your attempts to trick the Princess of the Sun would be an understatement."

"I would never–" Corona started.

"I literally watched you do it," I deadpanned, barely resisting the urge to tell her that I could feel her greed. "Yes, you provide for ponies once they join your cult–"

"Church!" Corona stressed.

"Cult," I flatly repeated, "and I will thank you not to interrupt again. If the Cult of the Celestial Sun isn't officially allowed the 'church' title despite being the largest Celestia-dedicated organized religion in Equestria, neither are you. As I was saying: You provide for ponies while they're part of your cult, but that's the problem. You only do so while they're part of your cult.

"This case would never have reached Day Court if you were willing to return the belongings of those who left, minus expenses from the time of their membership — and don't try to claim that it would make things needlessly complicated, I've seen your accounting. You carefully kept receipts and records of both purchases and donations, and it wouldn't be difficult to subtract an equal percentage from each donation as necessary for payment during that period. You claim that doing so would invite 'special treatment,' but few ponies will know who contributed what; I think you'll find that most ponies would prefer to run screaming from ledgers of sufficient complexity."

As expected, the weak joke provoked a ripple of laughter, and I used the opportunity to inhale.

"Worse, it isn't as though those ponies are lazing around and living solely off what they have already provided. They are still working, effectively for free, and are not compensated should they wish to depart. You are not directly barring ponies from leaving. However, your compound is far from other settlements, and ponies wishing to resume their life elsewhere would find themselves with only a small amount of necessities and no coin to speak–"

"Your Highness," Corona interrupted irritably. "Is there a reason this filly is presenting a third argument in a two-sided court case?"

I fought down a flare of anger. Corona was blatantly trying to ruin my credibility, and if I reacted the wrong way, she could frame it as the petulant temper tantrum of a foal.

"She appears to have multiple reasons, in fact," Princess Celestia glibly replied, to a small ripple of laughter from the audience.

Celestia turned to nod at me.

"Please continue, Sunset. You are doing very well thus far."

The praise was unexpected, and made me finally dismiss altogether my own earlier assumption that she'd expected me to fail. She'd deflected rather than answer Corona Graph, but then followed that deflection with a show of support? It was odd. Yes, she'd left herself wiggle room for me to mess up going forward, but that would be a rather notable pivot; it couldn't be on petty grounds anymore.

"Happily," I said, and turned my attention back to Corona. "For a pony who founded a cult dedicated to Princess Celestia, I will note that you seem awfully intent on questioning her decisions. However, I'll acknowledge that the legitimacy of your beliefs is not the subject of this–"

"Legitimacy?" Corona demanded, feigning outrage.

My patience was on the verge of snapping. The longer that this went on, the more time I had to spend feeling like grease had spattered all over my fur with ponies subsequently rubbing it around.

"Corona Graph, you will be silent," Celestia boomed.

All conversation in the throne room vanished altogether, and the mare in question took a step back, wide-eyed. I suspected my own eyes might look much like her own.

"It was not for show that my herald said that Sunset Shimmer was also presiding over this case," Celestia informed her. "However, if you must insist on only heeding my own words: thus far, my student has said nothing that I would disagree with, albeit delivered quite bluntly. In this case, however, bluntness is far from unjustified. You have abused the trust of those who looked to you for guidance, and forged chains of poverty to keep them beneath your hoof. This is utterly unacceptable. The Throne rules in Night Flurry's favor."

Night Flurry sagged with relief, but Corona initially didn't do more than huff unhappily. That reaction would grow much more intense in a few seconds.

"Corona Graph, you are to be imprisoned in the Canterlot Correctional Facility for one month, with all mail and visitors to be screened for attempted meddling or manipulation of your victims. During this time, a royal auditor will visit the 'Corona Compound' to convert a portion of 'donated' funds into a shared account for the benefit of the community, and the remainder into individual accounts. The exact proportions for retention in the community fund shall be at the discretion of the auditor, but are not to exceed seventy percent for those who wish to remain, and not more than twenty percent for those who wish to leave. Your own properties will be similarly audited to determine whether you have been unduly enriching yourself at the cost of others. Do not think We did not notice that the Compound's properties were solely in your name."

Corona's eyes had gone wide, the mare finally grasping that maybe trying to pull one over on the Princess of the Sun might come with real consequences. Or so I'd initially thought. Her eyes flicked to me as Celestia continued, and suddenly, the ever-present grease was replaced with something much worse than a burning sensation alone — I was effectively immune to fire now, and could safely ignore anything from my body telling me otherwise. No, for just a moment, whatever Corona felt made me feel as though I was being crushed by molten lava. The flash soon dulled down to the unpleasant pressure of somepony crowding me, but I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that this mare didn't blame me for her loss.

"Furthermore," Celestia continued calmly, "you are to serve for an additional eleven months of community service in the village of Shady Sill, performing menial tasks at the discretion of its mayor and wildlife service. You are barred from serving in any significant major leadership position, private or governmental, for five years. Exemptions to the 'private' requirement may be applied for once every six months as per standard parole guidelines."

Strictly speaking, Celestia's judgment was a slap on the pastern considering the number of ponies harmed by Corona's scheme. The actual penalty would come from the social consequences. The condemnation of Celestia herself was not something anypony would be willing to take lightly, and only somepony very stupid would be dumb enough to try to put Corona in any position of authority, let alone provide one of the character references necessary for a commutation of that penalty. Ponies might be a forgiving lot on the whole, but multiple years of needing to regain the trust of those around them tended to work quite well for shaping the behavior of most offending ponies.

"I do not mind worship. But when it is used as a cover for exploitation, that I find genuinely offensive," Celestia concluded. "Court is adjourned for the day."

The circle projecting our words dimmed into imperceptibility, a pair of guards stepped up to escort the seemingly-stunned Corona from the courtroom, and ponies started to gradually turn to trickle out, satisfied that their daily entertainment was over.

"Night Flurry?" Celestia said more quietly, and the mare straightened. "I intend to make it an official announcement, but please do spread word that I shall provide to future thestral petitioners goggles enchanted with Luna's Respite–"

"Moon's Respite," I corrected.

""No, it's Luna's,"" Celestia and Night Flurry said in sync, before the latter froze.

I'd started to feel a bit of resentment over Celestia taking on more work by encouraging thestrals to attend Day Court, but was successfully distracted by the unexpected sight before me. Celestia slowly turned to face an oddly terrified Night Flurry. The elderly thestral even took a slow step back as though trying to flee the presence of a pony-eating predator rather than just Celestia's raised eyebrows. The reaction seemed wildly disproportionate, especially since Night hadn't technically interrupted Celestia.

"Please don't be afraid," Celestia requested. "Truthfully, I am quite glad that some ponies still remember her."

Wait, what?

The mare in question rapidly relaxed, but still hesitated for several seconds before sighing.

"Hash it. I'm old anyway," Night Flurry decided, and looked up with a wry smile featuring far fewer surviving teeth than I'd expected. "You are aware that She is returning, princess? These old bones might not live to see it, but you…"

"Will be quite glad to have her back," Celestia finished, something that seemed to set the elderly mare to surprised blinking.

"Seriously, who?" I finally asked, baffled. "I thought that charm was supposed to be centuries older than you are, Mrs. Flurry."

Anypony that old would have to be immortal, but the only immortal ponies were already in the castle. Even a journey to the other side of the planet wouldn't take that long. Or I supposed this 'Luna' might be a famous spellcrafter under a stasis spell? Time-halting spells were difficult to interact with, as counterspells needed time to work and stasis spells disrupted time by their very function. It wouldn't surprise me if somepony managed to get themselves stuck in stasis with ponies knowing exactly where they were and what they'd been doing, but while being completely unable to help.

Night Flurry's eyebrows crept upward, and she glanced between a distinctly uncomfortable Celestia and myself. A moment later, Night released the distinct and distinctly sadistic cackle of the very old, accompanied by a slightly sweet sensation.

"I ain't steppin' on the Sun's hooves," Night said unhelpfully. "Should the Princess step aside, yer free t'send a letter or visit and I'll be happy t'explain, but that's up to her. I wouldn't tell just anypony, ya understand, but you've got a good heart. Thank you for your kindness, child; it helped more than you know."

And with that needlessly cryptic statement over a case so simple it honestly didn't need to be one at all, the old mare left my increasingly disgruntled self alone with an increasingly discomfited Celestia. I wouldn't ask when there were still ponies around who might overhear, but I really really wanted to.

"I will tell you and Cadance tomorrow," Celestia finally caved. "It is not a tale I wish to tell more than once."

I fought my prior disgruntlement with the knowledge that the subject was probably an unhappy one if she wasn't just explaining already.

"Thank you. So, what's next?"

Celestia relaxed, and I suddenly realized how tense she must have been after all. I'd thought the discomfort was from embarrassment, not that she was actively stressed and worrying about how I would tolerate a delay.

"Actually, you don't have to tell us if it's that uncomfortable of a subject for you?" I offered. "Seriously, you're overworked enough as it is. Anything that adds more stress should be put off at this point."

Celestia's gave me a weak smile, unable to even muster the full strength of her usual approving mask. 'Luna' was obviously a touchy subject.

"I… will think on it," she allowed.

"Don't worry too much, please," I requested. "As you're very fond of reminding us, your life is busy enough at it is. You don't need to tell us."

I now knew a name, and I could do a lot with one of those.

Last edited:
Viewer Omake: War Regalia
We all stared at the pink, heart-shaped, Celestia-sized Fire of Friendship that Cadance accidentally created in the middle of Twilight's living room. Turns out that getting the Alicorn of Love to cast a fire spell came with side effects. I really should have seen it coming.

War Regalia

I had had a brilliant idea. A powerful idea.

Cadence took only a little bit of convincing. Once I pointed out the myriad historical events involving malicious creatures nopony wished to leave unsmote, she came around fast enough.

The help took a little bit more work. Getting Celestia's measurements from the royal Tailor without disclosing what we were doing was a concern of national security, and besides, Cadence and I had every right to access that information. Cadence insisting on apologizing even after I said please and thank you was entirely unnecessary.

But eventually we had everything we needed. Under powerful wards, Cadence and I held a dozen lessons on enchanting and forgework while Celestia was preoccupied with Day Court.

And at last, our work was complete.

Celestia stared at the neon pink Celestia-shaped Fire of Friendship occupying a new pedestal in the strongroom of the royal armory.

"It's revolutionary, see?" Sunset cheered. "Cadence made a big old blob of Fire, and we molded it into a suit of armor, then we hooked that up with a liner and enchanted that! So you teleport into it, and the liner enchantment handles the Fire for you, and then nopony could ever even TRY to hurt Mom!"

Chapter 21: Routine
Special thanks to @saganatsu, @DB_Explorer, @fictionfan, @Adephagia, @Wordsmith, @Taut_Templar, Jamie Wahls, @Elfalpha, @BunnyLord, @Drcatspaw, @tinkerware, @Lonelywolf999, D'awwctor, @magicdownunder, @Mordred, @Nuew, @Greydrone, and my 16 other patrons not mentioned here. An extremely enthusiastic "Thank you" to @Torgamous for her patronage as well. Also, if you're not on here, you fit the tier, and you want to be added, please tell me.

AN: Enabled and beta-read by @ensou. We're still technically mid-hiatus.

Sunset Shimmer

As tempted as I was to trot off and research Luna, today was a day for accompanying Celestia and ensuring she didn't forget that I existed. Researching Luna could wait until after Celestia decided whether or not to tell us about her. My bits were on not, but it would be a bit absurd to waste time reading secondary sources only for her to tell us after all.

I did feel fairly confident that Luna must surely be trapped in stasis, though. If Luna were just an explorer visiting foreign lands, Night Flurry wouldn't think she would die of old age before being able to see Luna. And if Luna was indeed stuck in stasis, I thought it quite likely that I could arrange for her early release from whatever spell held her.

Contrary to what modern ponies believed, it seemed as though time was somewhat more fluid than Starswirl the Bearded's studies implied. The Tome told tales of Trespassers who provided boons for services rendered by the descendants of recipients. So long as a cause still occurred to produce an effect, either the cause or the effect could be temporally displaced without issue. In this case, I could shift the effect of 'Luna is freed from the spell trapping her' to the modern day rather than however many years from now it was supposed to occur. Provided that the cause still occurred despite my meddling, everything would be fine — and if necessary, I could close the time loop myself to keep things stable, but it sounded like Luna's freedom was just a matter of waiting out the stasis spell instead of needing some specific external sequence of events.

Either way, it was something I would need more information to do, and possibly some doctors on standby. Anypony paused for centuries would almost certainly lack immune defenses against modern diseases, and I wasn't yet versed enough in medical magic to compensate for that on my own.

I'd initially suspected that Celestia might schedule her most boring meetings today in order to drive me away. The first two budgets for infrastructure projects seemed to fit that expectation, and in the small gap before the third, I ended up teleporting to the library just to pick up some magic books for review while I waited. The third meeting, too, was boring. I still glanced over their documents just in case something obvious stood out, but Celestia generally seemed to have matters well in hoof.

The fourth? That was where the inevitable test appeared. Rail Wake only felt the mild brushing of curiosity toward me until I started reviewing the packet he brought with him for Celestia's approval. That was when the grease struck. Immediately, I shuddered and went from idly perusing it for something obvious, to actually taking the examination seriously.

It was a good thing I did. Their math for the up-front costs seemed right, but the long-term impact very much was not.

"This isn't acceptable and I suspect you know it," I said flatly, only narrowly resisting the urge to set the whole packet on fire. "Yes, you can force conducted magic through a physical medium even if it wouldn't normally be receptive. However, doing so near-permanently degrades the ability of that material to conduct magic over a longer period of time, and the effects are cumulative. This issue is further exacerbated by using steel of all things rather than a more magically conductive material such as gold or silver. Popular magical materials may present higher start-up costs, but the frequency of replacement would ensure that this project went well over budget within months of operation."

Rail looked as though he was going to speak, a cold flare of anger(?) now competing with the grease. I really was not in the mood, but one look at Celestia's feigned surprise told me that a silencing spell might be viewed poorly.

"I'll have you know that our engineers have decades of experience," he sniffed. "This proposal has already passed the Equestrian Railway Transport Review Board and needs only the princess' signature. I wouldn't expect a filly to understand something so far outside your Special Talent."

Oh, joy, yet another test and lesson in one. Demonstrating that yes, Celestia did need to act as a final approval after all, because sometimes ponies like this came along to muck things up.

Do you have any idea how many materials I looked at for the Dirge of Dreams before settling on my own blood? I obviously didn't say. I've forgotten more about magical material science than your engineers ever learned.

"Magic is my Special Talent and this falls directly in it," I instead snapped. "I think it's safe to say that either those ponies need to be replaced, or the scope of their duties needs narrowing, because this is utterly unacceptable."

This time, I did indulge in a Governess's Silence charm when it looked as though he might interrupt again. The stallion's mouth moved silently, his eyes widening, and Celestia's expression twitched. Thankfully, this time she seemed to decide a mask of calm would be better than one of disapproval, so I hadn't crossed any unacceptable lines. The intensifying cold from the stallion could be ignored.

"This is an environmental array primarily intended for use in Manehattan's famous Gran Central Station. Steel is used in train-bound arrays because magic clings to it and it is quite difficult to steal, not because it's efficient. Steam engines do most of the heavy lifting, so train arrays don't need to be perfectly efficient if they're only going act as a backup for the primary pollutant filters. Meanwhile, vibrations on the ceiling of Gran Central Station are not nearly severe enough to justify trying to use steel, and the structure is too sturdy for winds to be an issue. Thieves aren't a major concern due to the positioning, assuming it's placed at the center of the ceiling rather than near a ledge or something.

"All this is ignoring the simple fact that pegasus engineers do a better job of climate control, including for this very castle. In short, this project is so thoroughly flawed that those responsible for drafting it should probably be replaced should they step so far outside their specialty again. Also, you're being abundantly obvious that you have a personal stake in this proposal. I'm not entirely sure how, but I highly recommend you get your affairs in order before I start looking. I will remind you that the Crown does not look kindly upon those who attempt to unduly enrich themselves using Equestria's tax funds."

I dismantled the charm keeping Rail quiet, satisfied now that the cold had departed and left a wide-eyed Stallion staring at me. I was guessing that the mild feeling of nausea might be backlash from his fear. Unlike the grease from greed, a little nausea was something that I could ignore. It wasn't any worse than when I skipped a few meals.

"I–" Rail Wake stuttered, and swallowed. "I will be certain to convey your criticisms, Lady Shimmer."

He looked to Princess Celestia and bowed deeply.

"By your leave, Princess?"

"You are dismissed," Celestia unceremoniously allowed.

I did not offer to give him the project proposal back. There were supposed to be extra copies, and if they didn't keep any, that was their fault. I would be keeping this as evidence should it be needed in the future.

Rail practically fled from the room, albeit with one last glance at me. As soon as the door to the conference room shut behind him, Celestia's horn lit, and the world around us blurred as Celestia instituted her preferred privacy spell.

"I am afraid I have not kept up with recent advances in thaumaterial studies," Celestia admitted, and I froze. "I assume by your reaction that the new cost would be something truly egregious?"

This time, it was my turn to be momentarily speechless. I'd always assumed that if she was going to be the last word on any proposal, then it would be on account of her being a polymath. If her wide array of knowledge had been allowed to atrophy in recent years just like her combat skills, having her approve projects she didn't understand was worse than just letting ponies arbitrarily pass them without oversight!

"The cost of the original project would be repeated every four or five months," I said, horrified. "You mean this wasn't a test?"

Celestia immediately shook her head. Rather than leave it at that, though, she promptly trotted over to sit beside me and gave me a wing-hug. I immediately confirmed that yes, the result was indeed more comfortable than Cadance's accidental Fire of Friendship.

"I am trying very hard not to issue anything that could be interpreted as such," claimed Celestia. "No, it is simply a matter of my failure to keep up with modern advancements. In truth, I am quite glad you were here to catch it; I would not have approved such ongoing maintenance once it became clear that it was not a one-time setback, but that could have proved a needlessly expensive mistake."

I persisted: "But what's the point of approving proposals personally if you can't discover even egregious flaws?"

It was bad enough when I'd simply thought that ponies could afford to make their own mistakes. Realizing that Celestia might not notice them herself was so much worse.

Celestia winced at my accusation and closed her eyes, head drooping.

"I used to research each and every proposal before granting my signature, but there are just so many now," she admitted. "I thought that the prescreening boards would be enough, but if even they have begun to approve unacceptable proposals — I fear that I may have quite a bit of catching up to do."

"This went beyond 'unacceptable,'" I told her. "When you're so horribly overworked that you're effectively falling behind like this, we really need to do something about it. I'll conspire with Cadance later to see if we can figure something out. For now, are you willing to teach me a charm to dampen the new ascendant senses, or am I going to have to figure one out on my own? The grease is a useful indicator, but it feels disgusting. I don't need it to be this strong to know when someone is motivated by greed."

Celestia seemed momentarily unbalanced by the change in subject, and then even moreso once I started asking about my new senses. I had to tolerate a puzzled examination for several seconds before she actually replied.

"I would be quite happy to help if I knew what you were talking about," Celestia said slowly, "but I'm afraid this seems to be something specific to you rather than to all alicorns. Cadance seems to be slowly developing a love sense, but it comes and goes. Yours is — greed?"

She sounded confused by the very idea, and I couldn't blame her. I still wasn't sure of everything that went into becoming an alicorn, but becoming the Alicorn of Greed wouldn't be something to brag about.

"As far as I can tell, I get different feedback from any emotion directed toward me," I elaborated.

And I still barely feel anything from you. That, more than anything else, told me that she didn't mean it when she claimed to love me. Admittedly, my body was quite enthusiastic about excreting happiness when she was hugging me like this, insincere she might be.

Celestia relaxed at the elaboration, understandably relieved and oblivious to my less than charitable thoughts about her feelings toward me.

"Greed is grease," I recited, "I think brief contact is curiosity, sweetness is for pleased surprise, nausea might be fear, cold might be anger, hatred is akin to being crushed by molten lava–"

Celestia stiffened and pressed me more tightly against her side.

"Who hated you?" she asked, sounding upset by the very thought.

A great many ponies at Celestia's School, which I suspect might make returning even more difficult if you force me to.

"Corona after the sentencing," I said dismissively. "Big deal, she couldn't keep a scam going even while using you as a shield. Anyway, my guess is that the sense is an offshoot of my improved ability to sense magic, and I think it will prove exceptionally useful. Just, I don't think the feedback from it needs to be this visceral? I couldn't even stand to be around greasy-feeling reporters while we were leaving the castle, and had to resort to an illusion to hide my reaction to Corona's greed."

If Celestia had been unhappy to hear about Corona's hatred, learning of the reporters was almost worse. Before she crushed it behind another kindly mask, I could have sworn I saw anger.

"I–" she started, then stopped. "I am not certain I know of any preexisting spells to help with that, but it might be possible to improvise something. Do you feel anything from me?"

That wasn't a question I expected to be asked directly. I blinked, befuddled.

"Only the usual warmth of your existence," I tried not to accuse.

"Usual–" Celestia started, then stopped. "How long have you been feeling that?"

"...Always?" I asked, no longer at all certain of where this conversation was going. "That's not new."

Celestia closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and slowly exhaled. Only after the cycle was completed did she open her eyes and look at me again.

"Sunset, when ponies talk about my having a 'warm presence,' that is a metaphor. The only time ponies feel from me anything they might perceive as heat is either when I allow some splash to impress them, or when I am very angry."

That couldn't be right at all. Every sufficiently powerful pony felt a little like their magic, and always had; she was just the most obvious example.

The half-distorted sound of a knock reverberated through the privacy bubble, and Celestia winced. It seemed the extra time we'd gained from me chasing away Rail early had come to an end.

"Please do not feel as though you need to stay if you are uncomfortable," Celestia said quickly. "I promised that you would be allowed to stay with me as you pleased, and that will not change should you choose to stay secluded while you acclimate to strengthened empathy."

She used her wing for one last squeeze before returning to her own seat and dropping the privacy bubble. I didn't even try not to glare at the newest ponies to occupy Celestia's attention. If they were going to try to trick her like the last one, I would be ready.

Or my vigilance could be entirely for naught without any other ponies making the mistake of letting me feel greed. I couldn't help but feel annoyed even if I knew it was an irrational reaction. It was good that Rail was an anomaly and everypony else seemed to be trying to do their jobs properly, but at the same time, I almost wanted someone to try something so that my boredom would be alleviated with a payoff.

Nope. In the multiple hours of meetings before dinner, Celestia reviewed and approved plans for everything from bridges to parks to a new hospital to simple town budgets, but nopony else seemed to be trying anything untoward. About a third of the proposals did face minor amendments, but they were little things to avoid stepping on the hooves of preexisting projects and the like. Nothing like Rail's probable attempt to enrich himself, presumably due to involvement with whatever firm would have completed the ongoing maintenance. There weren't even any interesting bills from the House of Ladies for Celestia to approve; I imagined they were busy scrambling to figure out what had happened during the Summer Sun Celebration to so throughly disrupt Celestia's schedule.

At least I managed to review some easier cantrips that I could teach Twilight later. Illusions and basic animations seemed like safe bets; what foal wouldn't love to be able to bring their imagination to life?

Eventually, it came time for Celestia to stop and have dinner, and I was more than happy for the reprieve. Today might have been a deliberate attempt to drive me off, but if so, it was working unfortunately well.

"Your thoughts?" Celestia prompted as we trotted toward the dining room.

I centered a mobile privacy spell on us — the cancellation kind rather than storage, just to keep her happy — before answering.

"I previously thought that Equestria was prosperous enough that it could afford some mistakes should you take a step back," I replied. "After the mess with Rail Wake, I'm even more convinced of that. You need to catch up on modern advancements, or else having you review documents is worse than just giving ponies part of the pasture to run amok in. Your approval at this point gives them a shield to hide behind.

"It might be worth having me go through the departments and see what I can do about corruption, too. Rail getting approval might just be a case of ponies approving something a bit outside their field of specialty, at which point we need only narrow their duties and supplement them with ponies specializing in magical materials. Or, it might be a sign of something rotten. This isn't the first problem Equestria had with railroad construction over the last few years; wasn't there one noblemare who was willfully endangering her workers?"

Celestia winced, but nodded.

"While I do not deny that your empathy will be an invaluable gift going forward," Celestia said carefully, "I suspect that it would produce a great many false positives were you to rely upon it. Most departments have internal politics of their own, and the desire of ponies to network with you on account of your position may qualify as 'greed.'"

She was probably right, and I couldn't help but balk at the extra implications of that.

"Can't that be extended to the entire nobility?"

"Indeed it can," Celestia said grimly. "Fortunately, I suspect that what you are feeling is not as simple as 'greed.' Night Flurry did not feel greasy despite arguably seeking benefits for her family, correct?"

She waited for me to nod before continuing.

"Then I suspect you may instead be feeling selfish greed, possibly even that at the expense of others. Such motives should be much less prevalent, although I do remain concerned that you may feel overwhelmed in these coming days. You will be the target of a great deal of interest from the moment the adoption is announced; I've known unicorns with temporary magical hypersensitivity after spells gone awry, and I suspect that this could easily end up worse.

"I am aware that I was the one to previously advocate for celebrating your adoption, but given your current condition, would you like to return to your original preference and refrain? I did arrange for an appointment with a reputable tailor tomorrow, but have yet to inform her of the occasion."

We reached the doors of the dining room, and I dismissed the privacy spell while I considered the offer. Truthfully, if Celestia thought it might provide a shield against greedy ponies, I now thought it even more important that she emphasize my adoption. I could ignore a little unpleasant overstimulation in the name of long-term benefits.

Cadance waited within, already having started on dinner without us — still telekinetically, I noticed, which was good progress. She perked up and waved upon our entry.

"Good evening!" she cheerfully greeted us. "Sunset, for future reference, the 'cool factor' of teleporting away was outweighed by you abruptly no longer being around. Twilight wasn't very happy that she hadn't been able to hug you more before you left."

Celestia twitched and almost tripped on her own hooves. A second later, she'd returned to her graceful gait, but both Cadance and I knew what we'd seen. We kept staring.

"The foalsitting went well, then?" Celestia asked, slightly reddened in embarrassment that might actually be genuine for once.

Cadance perked up at being given an excuse to talk about her favorite filly.

"Oh, absolutely! Twilight adored her," Cadance gushed. "I can't remember the last time I saw her this happy, and I think I might actually lose the competition for her favorite foalsitter. It took hours for Twilight's excitement to fade enough for a crash and nap. When the worst thing you can say about the visit is that I accidentally ignited a Fire of Friendship in their living room, it's safe to say it was a good day."

Celestia turned to stare questioningly at me.

"She's either my level of brilliant or very close to it," I readily admitted. "I might actually have to declare war on the educational system for her benefit, because the way she's being treated in Magic Kindergarten is utterly unacceptable. You can't just expect the same mental image to work for everypony, and it's worse when you then let the students whom it doesn't work for be bullied."

"Ah," Celestia started, "while I am very glad that you and Twilight seem to like each other, I was actually wondering how one accidentally ignites a Fire indoors?"

Cadance suddenly looked like she regretted bringing it up, eyes flicking to me. I reluctantly gave her credit for not instantly selling me out.

"Cadance naturally exudes enough warmth that I thought it might be worth teaching her some fire spells and seeing what happened," I improvised. "I was there to supervise and they were targeting pieces of wood floating in much bigger cooking bowls filled with water, so they didn't even singe anything. The unexpected Fire of Friendship was the only mishap, and I'm going to blame that on Cadance's status as the Alicorn of Love."

"Sunset even promised weekly lessons to Twilight!" came Cadance's cheerful contribution.

If she were a more conniving mare, I might suspect Cadance of trying to lock me into that agreement by virtue of telling Celestia. She was incapable, though, so I dismissed the brief suspicion as soon as it formed. If anything, it seemed she was working to my benefit. Celestia blinked rapidly and silently stared at me as though I'd spontaneously dyed myself green.

"I did say that her school was failing her," I said defensively. "I'm not going to let Twilight flounder when she could become an archwizard if keeps applying herself."

Celestia blinked before shaking her head, forcing a smile.

"I was not trying to judge you," she explained. "In truth, I am very proud of you. After the last few attempts, I was under the impression that tutoring others was something you only did grudgingly."

I snorted, shook my head, and recast the privacy spell with Cadance included before I could forget.

"Those lazy lumps kept wanting to do practically anything except the tutoring I was supposed to be providing for them," I complained. "So, yeah, I didn't appreciate it at all."

Celestia silently stared at me for several seconds.

"Sunset," Celestia said slowly, "they were trying to become your friend."

I rolled my eyes. I already knew that.

"So?" I scoffed. "I had studying to do and didn't have time to waste on them if they were going to make me do other things. What's the point of friends if they're going to make me engage in activities I didn't want to do in the first place?"

Celestia closed her eyes and sighed in obvious disappointment. That was more familiar ground, and it stung.

"Twilight actually takes magic practice — I can't say seriously because we sometimes messed around a bit. But she doesn't get distracted by dumb stuff, and I didn't need to dumb down my explanations even though she's six. So, yes, I'm quite happy to teach her."

Celestia twitched before burying her face in her hooves.

"I cannot believe I tried to set you up with outgoing students instead of the fanatics," groaned the ruler of Equestria. "How could I have missed something so obvious?"

Cadance and I exchanged an uncertain look at the immortal mare's show of uncharacteristic behavior. I shouldn't be complaining that she might be dropping the mask, but it still felt weird to see. It was also strange to hear that she had apparently been taking more of an interest in my social life than I'd realized, rather than just throwing me at random ponies as an attempted distraction from when she didn't have time for me.

After several seconds, Celestia sighed, dropped her hooves, and began properly serving herself dinner from the various serving dishes.

"Please do tell me if you need anything for your new pupil," Celestia finally said. "I am assuming you do not wish to outright take her as a 'personal student'...?"

She sounded oddly hopeful at that, to the point where it actually gave me pause. Ultimately, though, I had to shake my head.

"Maybe once I'm ascended. I still have far too much to do and learn. I mean, I guess I technically could do it once I'm ennobled if we're talking legally, but even ignoring all the extra attention that would place on her, I would only be giving Twilight a bit more attention than you gave me and that's not fair to her."

The jab drew a wince, but I couldn't even find it satisfying. The sniping was just habit at this point.

"Maybe you should," Voice said thoughtfully.

At this point, Voice's abrupt appearance only garnered a brief twitch from me. Cadance and Celestia's reactions were much more pronounced, the two mares violently jerking and almost spilling their own food.

It didn't help that Voice didn't look like me anymore. Instead, the Outsider had assumed the appearance of a pegasus around my own age with a dark blue coat, blue eyes, and a green mane.

"Good evening to you too, Voice," I said evenly. "Don't you think the color scheme is a bit too blatant?"

Voice's neck unnaturally contorted to let Her look back at Herself.

"Is it? I suppose I did go with what seemed obvious for a former seapony. I am not attached to the shape."

Her neck returned to a more normal range of motion, and She looked at Cadance.

"I have been told that I should request your aid in possible future seapony forms. I possess appropriate voice magics and am quite taken with the excuse. But that can wait. Sunset, I do believe that there may be some rather significant benefits to dedicating more time toward teaching Twilight Sparkle than may be allowed under the excuse of sporadic 'foalsitting' — or at least doing so with greater frequency even if that may mean less time per session."

Voice paused dramatically.

"For example, I find her absolutely adorable and am willing to teach both of you certain magics — and Cadance as well should she be so inclined — if it means giving Twilight more metaphorical 'screentime.' In short, while I will only reward you for the first few sessions, I wish to bribe you so that I might watch the cute fillies more often."

Cadance choked, and even Celestia let out a startled chuckle. I raised an eyebrow.

"While I'll admit that's tempting," I acknowledged, "it's still not worth making long-term decisions over. If I could spare more time without harming my ability to learn how to be an effective future princess, I would already be spending more time teaching her. Please know that my ongoing promise of 'a few hours a week' was just the bare minimum; I don't want to promise her more and then be unable to deliver."

Voice pouted, and now that She wasn't borrowing my form or expressions, her pout seemed... weird, somehow. It wasn't like Twilight's pouts, which were just adorable in general, or Cadance's, which I tended to be ambivalent toward or even annoyed by. This one seemed... oddly pleasing? I would call it something I enjoyed looking at in a way similar to artwork, but I didn't actually care about most artwork beyond acknowledging that it was impressive. Voice's pout wasn't impressive.

Weird feelings aside, I felt like it rather defeated the point of expressing disappointment if that expression ended up being something other ponies enjoyed viewing.

"Next attempted strategy," Voice said, the pout unsettlingly smoothing away. "The sooner you bring her beyond the basics, the sooner you can discuss magics with her as you learn them. Not all magics you intend to learn would be advanced rather than something she could follow. Additionally, teaching subjects is a good way to reinforce the knowledge in your own mind."

I would suggest that She just follow Twilight around if She found Twilight so cute. But while I was mostly certain that Voice was certain by now, there was still a little voice of paranoia that insisted I shouldn't leave the Voice of Dreams unsupervised around an impressionable foal.

"Still planning to give her what time I can spare," I said as evenly as I could.

I'd started to feel a bit irked by the pushing, honestly. I wasn't Celestia; I wouldn't be neglecting Twilight. Voice seemed to notice my budding annoyance, and performed one of those weirdly likable pouts again.

"Well, okay. I'll ask again after the school year starts."

"...When I'll likely be even busier from Celestia probably making me go back to that stupid school?" I questioned, baffled.

"Something like that," She said cryptically, and started helping Herself to the food. "Good evening, Princesses Celestia and Cadance! I would apologize for ignoring you in favor of Sunset, but I am not sorry."

The two princesses in question shared a look that I couldn't decipher.

"It's — fine," Cadance said slowly. "How long have you been listening in?"

"All day!" came the utterly unrepentant reply. "I did say that I would be observing Sunset's life. Don't worry, you'll never know I was present until later."

"I don't know if you noticed yet," I added, "but it's actually pretty hard to even think about Voice when She isn't letting us acknowledge Her existence. Really, it's fine."

The two alicorns at the table did not appear particularly reassured by either Voice's original claim, or my own addition.

"I'm suddenly even more glad that I argued in favor of additional privacy," Cadance admitted.

I almost rolled my eyes. However, Celestia also seemed to be developing some discomfort, and that might end poorly. If she started acting like we were always in public, what little affection she'd started showing me might vanish altogether.

"You're thinking of Her like She's a pony," I said impatiently, "and I'll acknowledge that Her shape doesn't help with that. But while She can imitate our anatomy, She isn't one of us mentally. She isn't going to go gossiping to anypony, or use what we say or do against us."

"Actually, I'm imitating your forms closely enough that I could derive some enjoyment from such socialization," Voice said completely unhelpfully. "But it would be a grievous breach of trust, so you can rest assured that I will never do anything of the sort. I collect stories. I don't share them."

I was about to tell Voice that She wasn't helping matters before She reached the conclusion. It was a good note to end on, but I should probably still draw attention away from the rest of it.

"Besides," I added quickly, "it sounds like She might be visible more often at this rate. We talked, and She actually wants to socialize with ponies more often. Between Her name, unawareness of Equestrian cultural details, and some voice-based magics She knows, pun not intended, a merpony form seems like it would be best for Her."

I was a little worried that Celestia might appear displeased by the idea of Voice wanting to interact with normal ponies. Fortunately, it seemed that my words had the opposite effect. Celestia gradually relaxed and gave Voice a nod of acknowledgement.

"Please inform me when you have settled on a more permanent form," Celestia requested, "and I will be quite happy to assist you with obtaining identity paperwork. You would not be the first inpony entity to take our form, willing or not, although it has been long enough since the last example for Our immigration department to be unfamiliar with the process."

I suddenly had a great many questions about whatever other entities might have immigrated to Equestria in the past. I'd never heard any of this.

"Thank you very much! Don't worry. I promise I'll make reasonable efforts to behave approximately as well as your subjects."

Last edited:
Viewer Omake: Impossible Letter
On a scroll, mysteriously appeared overnight on a bed table:

Good morning, Miss Sunset Shimmer.
The being you are looking at is a changeling. (a pencil sketch of a changeling)
An equinoid eusocial emotivore shapeshifters, their main preferred food source is love and their modus operandi consists of replacing ponies.
(a graph, consisting of squiggly line with shaded area underneath, with dotted line slowly diverging up from squiggly line)
Statistical analysis of magical background tells us that they are slowly increasing their infiltration of Canterlot metropolitan area.
Direct observation suggests that in some cases, changelings may generate Love themselves.
(very shitty graph, consisting of fourteen very uncertain datapoints across four lines. Two lines run roughly parallel to each other, downwards. One runs well below them. One starts parallel to the first two, but then may be bending up).
If you decide to accept this mission, Sunset, you must prevent changelings from causing harm to common pony and establish friendship between our races.
If you are captured or killed, Princess Celestia will disavow any knowledge of your actions.
This scroll will self-destruct in five seconds.
Good luck, Sunset.
Impossible Mission Force.

Last edited:
Back