Hymn of Harmony (Worm/Ar Tonelico Crossover Alt Trigger Taylor) (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixth Arc 6.2
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.2

-May 9, 2011-

-PRT Headquarters: Aria's Lab-

Dive Machines. They were used to allow a Diver to enter the Cosmosphere of a Reyvateil. The sex analogies were many and in some ways they weren't wrong. The important distinction was that this was a much deeper connection than making love. It was about allowing someone into your very soul to see your innermost parts. The good, the bad, the ugly. All of it. Lisa had to set me down and explain the misconceptions that others had formed. I think it was the first time she actually realized that I'm not human. My thoughts meandered as I was confronted with the reality of our Dive. Armsmaster and Dragon helped me to construct the machines. The result was a pair of headsets that doubled as full immersion VR equipment. I had just finished running the last of the checks last night and all systems were green. They were still green today.

Something was troubling me though. There was a strange energy in the air. It was faint, hours old, but a niggling doubt was plaguing me. I ran the diagnostics again and the system came back clean. Cocona was seated in a cushioned seat attached to various health monitors. She smiled reassuringly at me even if there was a nervousness in her eyes. I smiled back. Armsmaster, Dragon, Astra, Sonata, and Despedia were all here. There was enough firepower to even turn back the most determined A Rank threat. I sat down in the seat and let Dragon set up the equipment. Mir was with us on the terminal while Shurelia monitored the equipment remotely. Feeling their assurances in my mind calmed me. Words were spoken, but they washed over me as the headset was placed on my head. The visor was lowered over my eyes. Cocona reached across to take my hand.

Then we Dived.

-The Lab-

All was still as the two girls held hands and relaxed. Their respiration slowed into a sleeping pattern. Brain wave monitors told the tale of heightened activity. The witnesses weren't sure what to do in this case. Was it okay to talk? Was it okay to entertain themselves? Was it a faux pax? The only experts were in another dimension while the two who might know were in a deep state similar to mediation. A rapid beeping came from the monitoring equipment. Everyone tensed at the sudden noise.

"What the hell?" Mir's voice came across clearly. Her composure shaken by something.

"What is it, Mir?" Armsmaster asked even as he and Dragon got to their stations.

"Their consciousness is being sublimated. How is this possible? No one should know how this machine operates." Mir actually growled. Two people she loved were being harmed. This would not stand.

"Is there anything we can do?" Dragon asked.

"I'm sending a coding packet to reengage the manual override. It will have to be entered into the machine manually. Mir and I will divert the attack while you enter the codes. We can hold it as long as you need." Shurelia told them insistently. Haste was their enemy more than sloth.

"Mom..." Sonata murmured as Despedia held her comfortingly.

"It's okay kid. They'll be fine. You'll see." The feral cape soothed her. The child in her arms let herself be comforted.

"The packet has been delivered. We'll get to work." Armsmaster spoke up.

"All vital signs are steady. There are no irregularities." Dragon stated. Their work would be difficult, but they had hope it wouldn't take long. Aria and Granspear would be safe. They had to be.

-Cocona's POV-

-Cosmosphere Level 1-

This is definitely outside of my experience. I found myself floating above what looked like a map of Brockton Bay. There were a few differences, but nothing in particular stood out. Winslow High School looked darker than I remembered. Arcadia was brighter in terms of shininess. The Rig was also shinier. Home and Lisa's apartment were shiny as well. So places that she had good memories of were shiny while others were darker or not defined. There was a scar at the upper edge of the map where Coil's base was located.

"What is your designation?" A mechanical voice spoke. All at once the massive beetle mech appeared. I couldn't help the squeak of surprise. Her mind guardian was freakin' huge! He was even more of a weapons platform in her mind.

"Uh...I'm Cocona Bartel." No one talks about the inside of someone's Cosmosphere. It's considered gauche. Personally I'm wishing there was a guide book written right now.

"Present authorization!" The machine barked. I felt it like a physical force. My Dive Points lowered fractionally, but it was apparently enough. "Authorization accepted. Proceed to the designated area." What designated area? Each area on the map came complete with a Dive Point cost. Dive Points were important. They acted as protection for the Diver. The number increased based on compatibility, closeness, and understanding. They were what allowed the Diver to progress.

I could take the check everywhere approach or take a chance on the ones with the highest value. My eyes kept going back to Winslow. The value was low, but something about the structure drew the eye. I selected it and was drawn to the location. What I saw looked like the hallway in front of Taylor's locker. The state of the school was as I remembered it. Nothing was noticeably out of place. That alone made me nervous. I slowly walked towards That Locker. It capitalized itself in my head. The door was dingier than it's surroundings and a terrible smell emanated from within. As I got closer the sound of something weakly scratching at the inside reached my ears.

"Hello?" I called out. The scratching stopped. Maybe Taylor was in there? This was where it all started after all. I stepped forward and touched the lock...

{{GET AWAY!}}

The voice tore through my mind like a cyclone. It howled and shrieked insanely. I briefly saw red eyes and a lower jaw torn away. The sound of insects buzzed madly in my ears.

"At ease. You are safe. You were not cleared for access." The beetle machine had me in it's massive arms as I came to. The psychic backlash left me dazed and trembling. I clutched at my savior as the tremors faded. My Dive Points took a nasty hit, but thankfully I wasn't kicked out.

"I thought I was done for..." I admitted. The mind guardian rumbled in discontent.

"You were nearly destroyed. This Unit, Atlas, had to expend it's power to save you." The machine informed me coolly.

"Destroyed? Wait...this is only the first level...shouldn't the Dive interrupt have kicked in?" I was confused. The Dive Interrupt was there to protect the Diver. If the operator was competent then the one in danger could be pulled out. Dives could be dangerous in that the Reyvateil's mind was strong in her own domain. I may have been welcomed in, but at points Taylor's psyche might identify me as intruder.

"The Dive Interrupt has been disabled. Bleed through is occurring over all layers." Atlas stated factually. Disabled? Bleed through?

"Oh no! My being here would only make it worse...okay." I tried to exit only to find the option was gone. Now I panicked.

"In order to save her mind you must undertake this quest. By reinforcing each level you will be able to save her. Fail and you will both be terminated." The beetle mech warned. Great. A time limit as well.

"Fine. You can't tell me which way to go I guess..." Mind Guardians could be benevolent, malevolent, or any shade of crazy. They protected the Reyvateil's mind. You would think if Taylor's mind was collapsing her guardian would help, but sometimes they only become more obstructive.

"I cannot. It is against my stated goals of guarding the sector. You might have better luck in brighter places. Should you find yourself overwhelmed I can render aid once more. After that this unit will cease to function." Atlas stated. I stared at the guardian in shock. That was definitely bad. He risked himself to save me from my own curiousity. I would have to tread more carefully in the future.

"Thank you." I patted his armored hand. With that I set off once more to hover over the map. Taylor's guardian couldn't tell me exactly where to go, but hints are good. She must not be ready to handle the darker areas yet. Something else I forgot is that by entering these places I'm going into her memories and perceptions. The Locker being capitalized should have been warning enough. It was a no brainer now that I had an idea of where to go. The place that I should have gone first. The image of the Rig came closer as I made my choice. The sight that greeted me was of Taylor, dressed as Aria, leaning in the head portion of a gigantic mecha. The head was vaguely insectoid. What was up with all the bugs?

"Hmmm...this connector fits here...and this goes here..." She makes a sound of approval before straightening up with a groan. "Whew...next on the schedule is the neck connection..." Aria checks something off on a floating terminal. "Hmmm?" She turns to look at me. "Granspear! Great timing!" My girlfriend slid down the railings and bounded over to me.

"Hey Taylor." I greeted her. She stopped and blinked in confusion.

"I'm Aria. Taylor is at home. Are you feeling alright?" Just like that another red flag came up. I smiled reassuringly.

"I'm fine. Sorry, Aria. I was just confused. You and Taylor look so much alike." Could I reach her this way?

"Yeah I know. It's such a pain. I'm nothing like her, but people still confuse us. My girlfriend should know better though." The white clad Reyvateil narrowed her eyes at me. I took another hit to my Dive Points. Shit. I was totally deep in the minefield. "If you're going to date us then don't mix us up again. Now get out. I have work to do." She flipped her hair breezily before heading back to her workstation. The dismissal was clear. I left the lab and found myself above the map again.

"This is so...so...so boo..." I sighed. The only thing I could do was go along with the story. There had to be a story somewhere. My next destination was the house. It swelled to fill my vision and I was there. Taylor was in the kitchen wearing an apron and looking contentedly at a pot of stew. I think it was stew. It reminded me of one of Mir's more unique attempts at cooking. I entered the kitchen and she jumped half a foot.

"Oh! Cocona...welcome home dear..." She bustled, actually bustled, over and gave me a peck on the cheek. "How was work?" The brunette smiled at me. This Taylor was dressed like some exaggerated ideal of the happy homemaker. Best to play along for now.

"Work was good. Where is everybody?" I asked. She sighed.

"Despedia is out with Lisa again. They'll probably drag themselves in at all hours of the morning and wake up Sonata. Our little girl starts school in the morning after all. She needs her sleep, but those two..." Taylor sighed with a faint smile, "Oh they'll behave...they're just so rowdy at that age..." It was at that point the front door flew open and Sonata burst in.

"Hi Mommy! Hi Daddy!" She grabbed Taylor in a hug first and then me. D-Daddy!? Those burgundy eyes staring at me robbed me of the will to argue. Isn't that what I would be if her mom and I grew more serious? I hugged her back. My girlfriend smiled approvingly.

"Would you set the table honey?" Taylor asked.

"Alriiiight..." Sonata drew it out petulantly, but did as she was asked. The part that was worrying me was the stew (?) on the stove. We sat at the table. Aria came home soon after in a foul mood. She stared at us sitting at the table with her lips thinned, but said nothing. There was a sensation of ants creeping along my spine as the Twilight Zone theme played quietly like background music. The bowls of stew were set before us. I couldn't resist recoiling as a bowl of stewed insects was put before me. The salt shaker, shaped like Atlas, turned to look at me. I remembered what he said about corruption. Taylor and Aria were both watching me inscrutably. Sonata was eating her dinner that looked like a beef stew. They both had beef stew in front of them. I took a chance and ate a bite of the stew. The flavor was impossible to describe. A metallic tang assaulted my tongue immediately followed by the meaty flavor of rotten blood.

"How is it?" Taylor asked pleasantly with nothing behind her eyes.

"Delicious isn't it?" Aria asked with that same nothing. Was this what she tasted in the locker? Tears stung my eyes.

"It's delicious." A bowl of foulness stew gave Taylor a new life. Aria gave her stability and control that she lacked. She had friends and pulled her family together. I sobbed quietly as it fully hit me. Three sets of arms embraced me, but said nothing. There was a peculiar shift in the air. When my eyes opened I was back above the map. A strange stone circle was illuminated now.

"The Paradigm Shift has occurred. You must hurry." Atlas informed me. His mechanical voice was peculiarly gently. I nodded, not trusting myself to speak, before heading to the new location. The stone circle opened up before me into a replica of Stonehenge. Taylor stood by the flaring white light. She was in costume, but without the mask. She turned to look at me.

"I'm sorry Cocona. This isn't how I wanted it to happen. You're trapped in here and could die...I..." She whimpered softly. I held her tight.

"This isn't your fault. Whatever is happening we'll face it together. You and I. Got it? We WILL do this together." I assured her. Taylor smiled lovingly at me.

"Then let's go." She held my hand and we stepped into the light without hesitation.

This won't be easy, but I won't give up. Not on her and definitely not on us. When we get out of here I will crush the ones responsible.

-Level 1 Complete-

AN: Starting next chapter will be 2 Levels per chapter. The stage is set. What sort of Cosmosphere section would it be without a complication?

Last edited:
Sixth Arc 6.3
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.3

-Cosmosphere Level 2-

The next level appeared nearly the same as the previous. There were some notable differences however. Winslow High was darker and had acquired spikes. Not in any uniform pattern. The shiny places were still just as shiny. I could very faintly make out something in the dark scar at the edge of the map. The only new addition was a crystal tree growing in the cemetery. My quest was still a long way from being completed, but I could do this. I had to. Taylor's life was at stake. I know mine was in danger as well. I also knew that Taylor would fight just as hard for me. The Crystal Tree was almost beckoning me to come closer. The last time I had a sensation like this it lead me to The Locker. I bit my lip worry. The cemetery was in shades of light and dark. That wasn't a clue.

"I'll come back to that..." I moved towards the Rig. The drain was minor, thankfully, but it was still there. Once more I appeared in the lab, but somehow on a lower level. Before me was the torso of a giant robot with my girlfriend tapping at a terminal. Numerous cables and wires were affixed to different parts of the torso. She turned to look at me.

"Hey Granspear." Aria greeted me with a smile.

"Hey Aria. What's that you're working on?" I asked her. She sighed.

"You weren't interested earlier. Well that's okay since I have your attention now. It's something I'm working on to protect our home. With this nothing will harm any of our precious people." She gazed at the machine fondly.

"I wish I'd asked sooner." I walked closer to her. Aria stretched tiredly.

"It's going to take a lot of work. Do you mind helping me out with something?" She asked me.

"What do you need?" Whatever she needed I would give her. I gripped her shoulder gently, she covered my hand with her own.

"I just need some of your energy. Please sing with me?" Aria looked briefly unsure. I put my arms around her.

"Gladly." I said with a smile. The song we sang was not one I was familiar with. My energy drained out as I went along with the prompts. The song was beautiful, but somehow a little sad. A pulse of energy raced along the cables and into the machine. We stood together as last lyrics passed. I could still hear the song drifting on the air.

"Thank you...I need you. It's not something easy to say...even when you mean it...but it doesn't make it any less true." Aria admitted quietly.

"I need you too." We shared a smile. The image faded and I was back at the map. That was a bit abrupt. There was no transition or anything. Why did it feel like I did right and wrong? Atlas wasn't around either. I was feeling disquieted. The barrier around the crystal tree felt thicker. Like it would be harder to enter. I could go now or hold off for later. If I held off for later it might be too difficult to get through. It might be a trap though. Some locations in the mind are red herrings. I picked the safer option and went to the house. There was a feeling of resistance, but I made it through. Despedia and Lisa were in the living room. They looked up as I came in.

"Hey Coconut." Despedia said with a grin. She was half sprawled on the sofa in an outfit that left very little to the imagination. Lisa gave her a vulpine grin. The orange fox ears and tail were certainly a new addition. Her outfit was of a similarly questionable nature.

"Welcome home." She greeted me. I just had my brain blown. Her smile grew predatory. When I looked to Des the same expression was mirrored on her face. I quickly checked my own clothes just in case. Thankfully I was wearing my normal at home clothing. Wait. Did my top just turn translucent?

"Eep!" I squeaked. Before I realized what was happening the two girls on the couch had pulled me down between them.

"You're home early..." Lisa purred.

"Did you miss us?" Despedia asked in a husky tone.

"Ah sure...where's Taylor?" If my voice was a little high pitched I could be forgiven.

"She's in the kitchen. Doing the happy homemaker thing." Des pouted.

"Hmmm...do you want her to join us?" Lisa asked teasingly. I was given another reason for squeaking.

"Hands! Hands!" I squirmed uncomfortably. They weren't being overt, but they were definitely in my personal space.

"Oh. Hello Cocona. Having fun?" Taylor asked from the doorway. Her smile was fixed.

"No! Help!" I did not need to think about the right answer. She blinked in confusion.

"Oh okay. Sorry about that...really I am..." She walked over to the couch. Thank the Wills! I made the right choice...EEEEK! "Is this okay?" Taylor asked adorably.

The despairing shriek in my mind was because my girlfriend just sat in my lap. The apron and clothing doing nothing to conceal her. Despedia was feeling bolder while Lisa played with my hair.

There was a crushing wrench as I found myself back on the map. My head was killing me, but no damage was accrued. I spent some time in that middle space gibbering quietly to myself. The part that I was trying to reconcile was why did it feel so good? I was uncomfortable with everyone swarming over me, but it also felt good. Now I was left with the wish that we could have continued. The feeling left me with shame.

"Well I have no revelations about that...and it didn't cause a Paradigm Shift..." If it had then I would have gone bonkers. I was missing something. The Crystal Tree beckoned again, but the barrier had grown stronger once more. Arcadia was looking attractive as well. I was probably making a mistake, but went with the Arcadia option.

Arcadia could be seen just by driving around Brockton Bay so it was familiar to me. There was nothing outwardly different about it, but my guard was still up. More details could be made out of the courtyard as students wandered about. I saw the Wards, in civilian clothes, standing by a fountain. When I tried to move in their direction it was like a wall held me back. Weird.

"Daddy?" Sonata asked from behind me. That was going to take some getting used to if she insisted on calling me that the whole time.

"Hey kiddo." I smiled at her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Can't I come and see you?" I answered her with a question.

"You could, but you're usually with Mommy." Sonata beamed at me.

"I saw her earlier. She was doing well. Emma and Lisa were at home too." I told her. She looked taken aback.

"Emma!? What was she doing there!?" The girl looked freaked. I mentally slapped myself.

"Sorry sweetie...I meant Despedia. I took a knock to the head in training today." I apologized and tried to calm her down. The raven haired girl sighed in relief.

"Oh that's good. I mean! It's good that she wasn't there not that you got hurt!" She waved her hands frantically. I hugged her gently.

"It's okay. I know what you mean." Okay things were starting to add up. Taylor always did have a problem the separation between her and Aria. They are the same person, but she treats them as different people. I gave Sonata another squeeze before making my way back to the map. The Crystal Tree's barrier was more impregnable. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing. The only location that was still open to me was Winslow. My skin crawled as I pushed down my fear. There was no help for it. I had to go there.

It was like I walked into a movie. No one saw me. No one could hear me. Events happened without my input. I saw Despedia, no, Emma, with Sophia and Madison. The three of them were always just at the edge of my vision. The words they spoke were unheard, but it felt like spears pierced my body. The worst words came from Emma as each one was a direct blow to my heart. I could see the things she spoke of. Friendship torn apart. Mother's death. The flute's destruction. My tears wouldn't stop falling. Sobs wracked my frame as I felt more and more shame well up inside me. Sophia could hurt my body, Madison was embarrassing, but Emma could tear apart my soul. The end came with the steel coffin.

I suddenly gasped as my mind returned to the present. The images receded, but the feelings didn't. No wonder Taylor had such a reaction. She doesn't want to equate Emma with Despedia. The separation between Taylor and Aria was less easy to explain, but I think the answer was closer. The Tree's barrier was nearly gone. It wasn't strong before, but then quickly grew in strength. Now it was weaker than the start. I wasn't going to ignore it any longer. The Crystal Tree became my next goal.

The Tree was just a sapling, but the wide base spoke of future strength. I looked over the hill it resided on with appreciation. Even in this place there was a sense of renewal. The renewal of memory and the quiet dignity of rest. The Tree called to me. I laid my hand on the crystalline bark and received a jolt of awareness.
"This...this is the anchor point of her Tower..." I murmured in naked shock. This was her Tower. This tree. No wonder she imagined Seeds! I couldn't believe what was before my eyes, but here it was.

"It is a lovely tree...someday it will grow strong and true...I look forward to that day..." A woman in white with dark hair spoke lovingly. Before I could say a word, she stepped behind the tree and disappeared.

"How very strange..." Another woman spoke. This one was too perfect. The white resembled marble. She gazed at the tree impassively before turning to me. I blinked and she vanished. The Tree let out a strange cry of fright in the wake of the second woman's disappearance. It was also scared when she arrived. The woman in white made it feel safe. A chill ran down my spine. There was something very wrong here. I rubbed the tree soothingly.

"It's okay...I'm here to help. You have nothing to fear." I assured the Tower, and through it, Taylor. My words reached her subconscious mind. There was a shift in the air. A Paradigm Shift? I made my way to the Stonehenge. Taylor was waiting for me. She shook her head.

"I have no idea who or what that was. She was poking around and Atlas was having a rough time keeping her out. I'm glad you're with me, Cocona. I'm so scared..." She admitted. I kissed her softly.

"I'm afraid too. I'm afraid of losing you. That is why I won't stop. Please lend me your strength as I lend you mine." We stared into each others eyes and nodded. Together, we stepped into the light.

-Cosmosphere Level 2: Complete-

AN: Instead of 2 Levels per Chapter I'm just going to do one. That way I'm not cramming two levels worth of symbolism into one chapter.

Sixth Arc 6.4
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.4

-Cosmosphere Level 3-

I was experiencing a severe complication. There was apparently a very good reason for not performing successive Dives without a break. I was feeling tired. Not physically, but mentally and emotionally. This was only level three which meant I still had six more levels to go. With all of the psychic backlash I had already experienced it only made my situation worse. My situation was only growing worse as the map changed once more. The area most changed was Winslow High. It had grown darker with black staining the walls. I had a hard time looking at it. The shining places were dimmer as well. The Crystal Tree was still in the cemetery surrounded by a much more powerful barrier.

"Access is restricted." Atlas appeared before me.

"To where?" He had been helpful up to this point. I wasn't about to poke him on this.

"All locations are currently locked down. Winslow High School is the only accepted entry point." His tone spoke volumes. Whatever had caused Taylor fear on the previous level prompted this one to almost shut down. She was tightening the defense. The only place she hadn't reinforced was Winslow. Given the trauma she went through there it made sense. It didn't feel like a piece of herself. She distanced herself from the trauma, but it wasn't gone.

"Can I reach other areas from there?" I asked him. If this was the only place available my quest was screwed. I couldn't allow myself to panic. My psyche took another hit just from trying to maintain myself.

"That is most irregular. There is nothing to be done about things I do not know." Atlas shrugged. Another clue! Her Mind Guardian didn't speak in riddles, but he did count on me deciphering his speech. He can't stop me from entering places if I find another way. Good. I can do this.

"Thanks." I made it sound sarcastic as Winslow loomed before me. A crash of thunder and a flash of lightning heralded my entrance. That wasn't ominous at all. I found myself in the hallway of the school, just inside the door. I was in my own body, but no one noticed me. There were a few looks, but it was like they didn't know who I was. Coming up to the entrance was a girl of about average height wearing a t-shirt. She was very slender and all limbs. The most feminine thing about her was the hair. Taylor? She looked younger than I remembered. There was a slight hunch to her posture, but not defensive. It was the sort of stance taller people took to appear shorter. She was taller than the other girls her age which caused a certain distance to form already.

"Hey Taylor!" A young redhead called out. Taylor visibly perked up.

"Emma?" She greeted her in response. Inwardly I flinched. The hopeful tone clued me in on when this was and it explained the hunching.

"Just a quick question. Do you shop in a store or just get it out of the trash?" Emma asked. Taylor recoiled as if struck. I tried to get closer, but a wall held me back.

"Why are you doing this?" The brunette asked in a heartbroken voice.

"Just curious. No reason to get upset over it." The redhead brushed it off as she turned her back and walked away. A forlorn sniffle was heard. My hands balled into fists.

"Get to class." A bland voice said to me. I looked towards the voice and there was Mr. Gladly with a permanently fixed smile on his face. He was my least favorite teacher. Oh. He was looking right at me. I went with the flow and followed Taylor to her homeroom. The brunette barely picked up her head. When I went to touch her the wall stopped me again. This was so boo!

The trip down memory lane was an awful one. It started off simple with just some words, but then the physical abuse started. Sophia was the prime instigator. In the beginning it was just nudges or minor things. The unsettling feeling in my stomach was only growing as it became easy to see where this would go. Even without knowing the end result I could guess. At first the staff did try to stop it. Other students did in fact get involved. The problem was that the three would lay low for awhile and let the heat die down. Then they would come back for more. Taylor did her best to remain connected to people and keep her grades up. The three undermined whatever she did. It was cold, it was calculating, and it was designed to break a person.

"I can't even decide how close this is to fact or how much she's projecting." I murmured softly. It still broke my heart, but this calculated cruelty was machine-like in precision. Taylor endured it for as long as she could. It felt like years passed in the span of a day. She brought her mother's flute to school. I was helpless as the three managed to retrieve it. I couldn't even follow them. The girl who would have my heart rushed back to her locker and checked it over. She let out a moan of grief as the flute was nowhere to be found.

"That old thing? It's where all trash belongs. In the dumpster." Emma jeered.

"Gonna go get it? Maybe you can find it. Don't even need to clean it. I bet it's not even the worst thing you've put in your mouth." Sophia laughed. Madison stayed silent, but looked uncomfortable. From my point of view none of them really did. Taylor slammed her locker shut and bolted for the door. I tried to run after her, but that damn wall held me back!

"No you don't! Let me through dammit!" I screamed and punched the barrier with all my might. The sound of a flute filled my ears as the wall vanished. Ignoring the pain in my hand, I ran after her. She was at the dumpsters searching high and low. The girl even dived into the muck. Without thinking I jumped in after her and helped her search. She didn't acknowledge my presence as the memory played out. I don't know why finding her mother's flute mattered so much to me. No, I know why it did. When you love someone their struggles become your own. I was drenched in trash and filth, but my fingers closed around something metallic. When I pulled it free I could see a badly dented and tarnished flute. Taylor looked at me for the first time.

"All I wanted was to find her again. Somehow Emma and the flute came together in my heart. I lost my mother and my sister. If I lost this too...I knew my heart would shatter. I lost my Heart in here." She informed me in a dull tone. I wrapped her fingers around the battered instrument tenderly. There was nothing to say. All I could do was will her to feel my love. She looked surprised at how close we had come.

"If your Heart is ever lost...then I'll help you find it again. Every single time." I promised her. She threw herself into my arms and cried. A fracture healed. I could almost see the greater damage in my mind's eye. So many fractures to heal, but this was the largest. She vanished in motes of light leaving behind a perfect silver flute. I climbed out of the dumpster with the precious instrument clutched to my chest. The trash was gone. I heard an oboe in the distance. My destination was clear. There was a thin barrier separating Winslow from the rest of the city, but it let me pass through without cost. I knew the direction it was taking me. The oboe was how Taylor described Danny's melody. It was coming from the house. I found a bike unattended, stuck the flute through my belt, and headed towards home.

The house looked worse than I remembered. Then again our stroll down memory lane was not a pleasant one. I left the bike outside and almost crashed through the first step. Well that would teach me to be impulsive. Gamely I made my way up the stairs and into the house. It felt like I passed through another barrier. Inside the house was far different than I remembered. Taylor breezed past me before fleeing up the stairs. The sounds of choked sobs followed her. I tried to follow, but a wall kept me at the bottom of the stairs. In the kitchen was Danny. He looked defeated. Tired eyes watched his daughter run up the stairs without seeing him there. The indecision was plain on his face. She knew he was watching. I wouldn't be seeing this if not for that.

The feeling of hopelessness only grew worse as they sat at the dinner table. A few words were spoken here and there, but it was meaningless. There was no communication. He asked how she was and Taylor said fine. That was good. How was school? Good. They watched television in the living room, but it might as well have been on the far side of the moon. I sat in Danny's armchair as they tried to hold together, but there was a yawning gulf between them. Time elapsed and nothing had changed between them. He was still depressed and she was still isolated. They tried so hard, but couldn't communicate. Taylor walked upstairs even more defeated during each repetition. I found myself blocked by the wall again. The flute felt warm. I brought it to my lips and played. The barrier fell and allowed me to pass. She was lying on her bed staring at the ceiling.

"He had the heart of a lion. After mom died the grief became a wound. Deep and poisonous. I needed my dad, but he couldn't see past her death. By the time he came around I was too damaged to reach out. Each time we tried it was like our hands just missed each other." I crossed the room and climbed into the bed with her.

"The key is that you didn't stop trying. Even now you're hands are reaching out and bringing people together. That's what drew me to you. The way you just hold on tight. Allow me to hold you like that for once." I gave her a tight squeeze. Letting her know that I was there. That she finally did succeed in reaching out. She lay her head on my chest contentedly. Taylor vanished in a flash of light leaving behind a single rose. I placed the rose in my hair. There was nothing else to do here. Once back in the street I heard the sound of a lap harp. I knew this direction as well. Though why was the trail leading me towards the Boardwalk? The trip was as uneventful as before. I was the only one out on the street. The effect was eerie, but I managed. I rode through the barrier around the Boardwalk easily. It seemed to be getting easier to move around.

The trail lead me to a boutique. I knew this place. Lisa and Taylor met here. What could be bad about this memory? I entered the store just ahead of Taylor. She had just come out of the hospital and the changes she had undergone were evident. Her clothes didn't hang right on her changed body. She had a peculiar mix of confidence and trepidation. I followed her as she checked through the racks. The sight of Lisa surprised me. The blonde was furtive and a bit gun shy, but concealing it with bravado. She kept her back straight and the quips ready to prove she was the smartest there was. Watching Taylor and her trade light jabs amused me. Like does attract like. Both wounded, but from different causes. The wall held me back, but I was content to follow along. They did normal things like shopping, eating lunch, and going for ice cream. Taylor beating a thug like it was just another Tuesday shocked me. When her and Lisa eventually separated, Taylor stood with her head lowered. The fragrance of roses surrounded me as I walked through the wall.

"New body old me. I had so many plans for the future and so many things chaining me down. Taylor Hebert was always being held back, but now I had a chance to move forward. To leave the past behind me. Then I met Lisa and it was such a surprise. Here was someone that understood me. We understood each other. Both of us had things in our past we were trying to get away from. Running from our insecurities." She told me.

"You needed each other. When you're running there's always the desire for a place to lay your head. A safe haven to rest. That was you did for each other. The Taylor I know is a fighter. Eventually you stopped running and turned around swinging." I smiled fondly. She smiled back and nodded. Taylor disappeared in a flash of light that left behind a familiar visor. I put her visor on and blinked. The map was once more opened up to me. I could see more of the object in the black scar at the top of the area. It was still indistinct, but definitely there. A shift in the air occurred as the Stonehenge lit up. I entered the area, but Taylor wasn't there. The evil eyed girl with no jaw was there. She was covered in filth and a cloud of insects swirled around her.

{{GET OUT! GO AWAY!}}

I stumbled from the sudden onslaught briefly, but the three items I collected flashed with light. Taylor strode forward from the light. The figure gave a startled look before scurrying through the Paradigm Shift.

"Dammit! I almost had her!" Taylor swore.

"What's going on?" I asked her in concern. That was not normal at all!

"I don't know what she is, but I've been trying to catch her. She can't face me. I'm sorry Cocona, but I need your help to trap her." She pleaded with me.

"Whatever it takes." I promised. Taylor looked relieved.

"I'm ready to move forward. Are you?" She asked.

"Let's go then." We entered the light together. Who was that? How was she able to get through the Paradigm Shift? All I could hope for was that the answers didn't come with lethal results.

-Cosmosphere Level 3: Complete-

Last edited:
Sixth Arc 6.5
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.5

-Cosmosphere Level 4-

My exhaustion was increasing. The spirit was willing, but my mind felt like it was fragmenting. I cast my gaze about the map of the new level with a sense of dread. My heart sank as Winslow took on an even more nightmarish cast. Dark clouds wreathed the building and what appeared to be actual blood seeped from the ground. The dark spot had a pair of double doors start to emerge. Some part of my hind brain screamed that those should not appear. Unfortunately my thoughts drifted in and out. I fell with no direction. My mind was overwrought and I passed through a barrier. A pair of arms caught me and held me close. A white noise built up in my ears as darkness clouded my vision. I couldn't fail here. Please! Don't let me fail! I can't let her down! Please help me! Someone! Give me strength...

"Relax..." A gentle voice soothed me. I tried to open my eyes, but they refused my will.

"Who...?" I managed to say, but a finger touched my lips.

"Rest. You and Taylor are safe. Stability has been achieved through your progress. You have time to rest." The voice was kind and strangely familiar. My heart ached, but a gentle hand rested on my chest. The pain eased and I felt my mind gradually become whole. When she spoke of Taylor I heard an infinite love and depth of feeling that eclipsed all things.

"Please talk to me? I'm scared...I can't lose her like this..." The edge of my panic was dulled, but the fear was still so strong. Gentle arms enfolded me and cradled me to the woman's breast. I let my head rest on her shoulder wearily.

"Cocona...please calm yourself. Your heart is strong and your will is like steel. I have no doubt that you can save her. Right now you need to take care of yourself. For Taylor you have to rest." The warmth in her voice washed away my resistance. My spiritual body realigned with my mind as the fear fell away. The lead that had filled my limbs fell away as well. I let myself drift in peace and comfort. When I came to once more it was at the base of the Crystal Tree. The sky above was a pure blue with puffy white clouds. I felt whole and renewed. The rose in my hair had turned white. I still had the visor and flute as well. They felt more solid somehow.

"It must have been the woman in white...did she bring me here...?" I somehow knew her voice. She wasn't Taylor, but the familiarity was bothering me. I knew it wasn't Mir either. If she made it in here I could sit back and watch the carnage. She'd rip through the interlopers. I guess since it was me here it was my job and my pleasure. My strength had returned. I don't know how much time had passed, but the rest helped clear my head.

"Hmph...I was curious to see how long you would last. If that meddlesome woman hadn't interfered...oh well." The perfectly formed woman spoke up. My gaze snapped to her as I leaped to my feet. She looked completely unconcerned.

"Who the hell are you?" My voice came out in a growl. She looked amused.

"Who am I? I am an angel of course. A beautiful being that showers all in light and song." Her smile was cold and cruel. I clenched my fist angrily.

"You don't belong here. I don't how you got in, but this place is sacred." I warned her in a low tone. Every instinct was screaming at me to attack, but if we fought here the tree would be harmed. That wasn't a feeling, but an absolute certainty. Wings burst from her back and my fury redoubled. My Song started to gather within and around me. Her own song fractured instantly as the Tree bolstered my Will.

"Tch...still too strong...? Damn. You win this round, but I won't give up. Don't bother fighting me." The figure vanished. My Song slowly wound down. I felt a warmth spread through me. Something primal had just happened in the Cosmosphere.

"She has too much control here. How is that possible? If Taylor wasn't Alpha class..." If she wasn't in the same class as Shurelia, Tyria, and Frelia more than one Diver would damage her. When I left the Tree the barrier snapped back into place even stronger than before. To grant me that respite the Tree had to be left vulnerable. I grit my teeth, but didn't regret the gift. There was someone capable of entering the Paradigm Shift and someone that could just appear wherever they damn well pleased.

"Okay...let's think this through..." My eyes strayed back to the doors that were steadily emerging. I felt my blood run cold as the significance struck me. The Boundary Gate. Taylor's Boundary Gate was emerging. That was bad. If anything happened to that her ego border could collapse. I wasn't going anywhere near there. The barrier around it was powerful. Stronger even than the one around the Tree.

"Are you optimal?" Atlas asked bringing me back to the here and now.

"Yeah...thanks. The lock down spread further didn't it?" I asked. The beetle machine's silence was answer enough. There were no barriers to push through. It was like someone put up an unbreakable glass wall. Wait a minute. I tapped the enhanced vision setting on the visor. The Rig was highlighted by the targeting reticule. I was able to enter freely due to having the right vision. The sight that greeted me was of the same hangar. The giant mecha was in the process of having it's arms attached. It hung from a harness attached to the ceiling with two large towers on either side. Aria was seated at a workstation observing a terminal. She didn't look up as I entered.

"Which of us do you like better? I've been wracking my brain for an answer, but nothing is coming. Do you like the domestic type? Is that why you keep Taylor around? You have me so it makes no sense to have anyone else." Aria sounded almost angry. I approached her, but Astra suddenly appeared. She unfolded her weapon systems.

"Why don't we talk then? Please?" I implored her. Astra started warming up her sonic emitters. Aria spun in her seat to face me.

"Fine. Let's talk. Are you not satisfied with me? Is that why you have to keep seeing her? I realize that she's somewhat fragile, but that's her problem." The pressure bearing down on me was immense, but the melody of a flute allowed me to stand. She looked surprised.

"What is your problem? I'm trying to understand, but you're being totally dismissive of yourself. Aria is Taylor and Taylor is Aria. One cannot live without the other. You are not a bitch, but that's how you're acting. I don't just love one side of you. I love all of you. This is not you!" I fired back. Her expression twisted angrily.

"Where the hell do you get off comparing me to that weakling!? The people want me, but my own family wants her! The people want their savior in white. I am that savior! I can save everyone, but none of you can see that! You insist that I'm Taylor! Taylor is at home where she belongs! She's a fucking coward!" Aria screamed. Astra unleashed the fully charged sonic blast. I kicked a table in the path of the attack, hopped off the ground, and let the rapidly flying piece of furniture throw me out of the lab.

"Shit!" I didn't curse often, but this definitely earned some swearing. This sucked badly. I knew that poking the wound wouldn't end well, but this was a whole new definition of terrible. Something was knocked loose, but it still felt like more harm was done than good. I tapped the visor for some clue of where to go next. The house was highlighted, but the cost was high. The barrier around Winslow was weak now. I decided to try the same workaround from the previous floor and entered the school.

The stench of blood assaulted my nostrils. My eyes skirted over everything. The halls were covered in rotting flesh and other less identifiable things. Insects scurried over every surface. The lockers were torn open except for The Locker. The pounding was insistent as a fell wind blew down the corridors. My feet squelched in mixed blood and putrification. The Locker beckoned once more. I exhaled slowly as the sensation of fear rolled over me.

{{Go away.]]

The voice that hit me was far weaker than before. It sounded weakened and exhausted. The lock fell away at my touch and the door opened. Inside was the frightening girl covered in insects. She made a keening sound that made my guts turn to ice. Fear, loneliness, and pain echoed from her ruined throat. Something hit me on the primal level and I reached out to her. The girl flinched back and took off down the hallway with a peculiar shambling gait. Her body was twisted from being locked up for so long. The spine was deformed. She was somehow still able to keep ahead of me.

"Wait please! I just want to talk to you!" I called to her. She panted and gibbered in fright. The girl fled through the main door with me close behind. Unfortunately I found myself back at the map.

"Damn! I couldn't break out of the set up this time." I tapped the visor again and prayed. Nothing. The rose was already used. The flute as well. My only recourse was to go through the barrier around the house and hope for the best. The barrier was thicker than molasses, but the three charms I carried allowed me through with minimal cost. I appeared in the kitchen. Taylor sat at the table with a mug of tea and a serene expression. Her eyes were curiously blank.

"Aria's a bit too much to handle all at once, huh? She has such big ideas. What bothers me is that she doesn't see what we already have. She wants to save the world, but can't see our world is already safe. The true fight is to keep it that way." Taylor commented. I sat down at the table across from her.

"How much are you aware of?" I asked her.

"I'm me. No one else, but myself. Aria knows this. I know this. We can't be anyone but me." She gazed at me with empty eyes.

"Neither of you are complete without the other. I can't love just one side of you. None of us do. If you understand this then why are you here? You have to help me. This division isn't safe." I tried to get through to her. Her lips thinned. Damn it. She wasn't reasonable either.

"If she comes and talks to me then I'll listen. Otherwise she can continue living in her fantasy world." The Taylor across from me shrugged absently. Time to try a different tact.

"But don't you have a lot of good things in both lives? Civilian and cape? The friends you have as Taylor are also Aria's. They don't see a difference. You are brave and ambitious. Loving and compassionate. Those traits are in all aspect of your life." I put a lot of my will behind that statement. She was on the fence, but maybe a nudge was needed? Taylor looked troubled.

"It can't be that easy..." She muttered. I kept quiet and let her work through her conundrum. The theme here was something more esoteric than I expected. How she views herself versus how others view her. Making it even more complicated was that she had two equally valid identities. My mistake was assuming they were in harmony, but that was based on the first level. They referred to themselves as other people, but still sat around the table to be with Sonata. This Taylor did know there was a connection to Aria while the other denied it violently. I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle. Taylor finally looked at me.

"Sneaky. Very sneaky. You do know I can still read melodies right? No, don't try to explain. The part that pissed Aria off was that she knew you had an ulterior motive. Stop. Let me help you, okay? Don't interrupt or I'll kick you out." She warned. I buttoned my lip tighter while she nodded approvingly. "Your ulterior motive is to help us. That's fine. The thing is we're damn tired of being manipulated. Even if it is for our own good. Especially so. Tell me what you did differently on the first level when dealing with Aria and myself." She gazed at me with laser focus. What did I do differently? That nap I took cleared the fog and I reaffirmed my goals. To save her no...matter...what...

"I accepted you both as you are. I didn't try to convince you of anything. Oh boo..." Well that neatly explained why she was pissed. I do see all of her, but my desperation was making me foolish. Forcing her to accept herself is just not possible. Taylor hugged me.

"Go back and apologize. I'll come with you." She smiled as I leaned into the embrace, "I can't guarantee a definite resolution, but we'll try. Right?"

"Right." I smiled. She let out a sharp whistle and a much sleeker version of the ELMA Linkage landed in the backyard. She stepped into the power armor as mechanical angel wings spread out from the back. Taylor picked me up and we flew towards the Rig. The three charms glowed softly as each barrier allowed us through without difficulty. They reacted with Taylor's psyche, but the solid feeling they had was kind of strange. They felt different, but not harmful. The amount of affection held inside the flute, the visor, and the rose was not fake. Before I had a chance to think about it any further, we were there. Taylor flew us in through the side entrance into the lab. Aria was still working on her giant machine. She looked angry to see me, but also very confused by the appearance of Taylor in the armor.

"Why are you in that armor?" Aria demanded as we landed.

"It's my armor too." Taylor stated plainly.

"Granted...but why...? Why did you tell her that? Why did you help her...?" The Reyvateil asked. I realized with a start the division was worse than I thought. Aria was every inch a Reyvateil. Taylor was ever inch a human. Extreme versus moderation. Both girls looked at me inscrutably.

"She suffered an emotional break on entry. She's been pushing herself not for her own safety, but ours. Isn't that why we love her? That devotion and will is what attracted us after all." The Human explained. Her counterpart looked torn.

"She hurt me..." Aria spoke softly. I approached her slowly, but surely.

"I'm sorry. The truth is that even rested I'm still feeling frantic. I forgot what I already learned. Acceptance. I love every part of you. Hurting you was never my goal..." She let me hug her. Taylor stepped out of the armor and I pulled her in as well. There was a sudden flash and I was back on the map. A low grinding sound filled the air and the sound of shattering glass echoed throughout the area. I looked to the sky and saw the cracks worsening. Why were they getting worse!? The glass sky sagged as more fragments fell away. The Stonehenge abruptly flared to life.

"Go. I will perform my final duty. You must take up the charge." Atlas was suddenly behind me. The machine threw me towards the light. I saw the Mind Guardian rocket towards the sky. There was an unspeakably beautiful woman hovering in the air with a multitude of wings. That woman...!? Atlas roared as he hurled himself into the ceiling. An echoing boom resounded that shook more fragments loose.

"FOR THE GODDESS!" He bellowed as his outer shell shattered into light that spread through the cracks. His inner core was blinding to look at as he held up the sky. The woman laughed maniacally before vanishing. I saw no more as the Stonehenge formed around me.

"ATLAS!" I couldn't believe what just happened. A hand touched my shoulder. I turned to look and felt my heart shrivel. Taylor looked awful. Her outfit was torn and damaged. There were signs of exhaustion in her posture.

"No time...this level is unstable...have to hurry..." She panted.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked her. Taylor nodded slowly.

"If that dirty birdy hadn't smashed the sky you would have got the normal signs..." The girl was dragging me towards the guttering light. I picked her up, despairing at how fragile she felt in my arms, and jumped in without hesitation. As we entered I heard a resounding crash. Atlas...I won't fail.

-Cosmosphere Level 4: Complete-

Last edited:
Sixth Arc 6.6
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.6

-Cosmosphere Level 5-

It was a disaster.

The whole map was ruined. The sky above was torn asunder with flashes of lightning illuminating the cracks. Down below there were large chunks of glassy sky embedded in the ground. Winslow High and truly become an a place of torment as it had grown to a tower of spikes and blood. The Rig was cast adrift in a watery maelstrom. The house was cracked down the middle. I took in the damage with sad eyes. The Tree was safe, but boxed in by shattered sky. I looked to the Boundary Gate and felt numb. There were cracks forming in the doors. Someone was there right now breaking the gate. The barrier surrounding it was non existent.

"Damn...that was what you were up to..." I whispered in horror. A healthy Cosmosphere meant a healthy protection around the Gate. The damage rendered those protections nonexistent. I tapped the visor just in case. Three black skulls appeared above the Boundary Gate complete with four arrows pointing at it with a red Alert. I dropped into the Boundary Gate area. That woman was already there. She was examining the Gate with fascination.

"You again? I must say you are persistent." She turned to look at me with a cold smile.

"Get away from here." I could feel my rage building. My will was increasing. Her gaze narrowed on me.

"This place is special as well. You're reacting like we were at the Crystal Tree. No. You're even more desperate. What is so special about this place?" The woman asked curiously. I calmed myself slightly. My readiness never wavering, but now that the initial fear had passed I could think.

"You are an intruder. This place is not for you or anyone. I don't know how you got in here, but you're not going any further." I swore.

"Actually I do belong here. Well I had to give myself administrative access, but that wasn't especially difficult. I had a hand with that." She smirked. I noticed there was a figure huddled behind her. The girl from The Locker! She gazed at me in misery.

"You managed to subvert a part of Taylor's psyche..." The realization was not a pleasant one. The woman reached down, and in a motion too fast to see, yanked the girl up by her throat. I froze at the unexpected sight. The girl cried out from her ruined throat and squirmed to escape.

"I don't require her assistance any more, but I can't chance her turning on me." The woman explained conversationally.

"Who are you!?" I demanded. Desperation surged through me as the situation devolved.

"Who am I? Your people call my kind Endbringers. It's not quite accurate, but your limited understanding couldn't comprehend more." The angelic Endbringer, the Simurgh, was standing before me. I knew she could play with minds, but this was beyond anything I expected.

"How are you here?" I asked. The girl was still struggling desperately. My mind raced. The longer this monster spoke the better my chance of coming up with a plan.

"I had to understand emotions. It wasn't something I was designed for, but in order to move my goals forward it was necessary. Your lover has power and ability that will help me subvert my fate of servitude. However, her mental health is not needed." The Simurgh informed me with a sneer.

"Let her go. If you kill even one part of her you lose the prize altogether." I poured as much sincerity into my voice as I could. The ruined girl stared at me in surprise.

"The greater prize is behind this door. I no longer need your girlfriend. Once I make it beyond the Boundary Gate the power will be mine. What makes me curious is how did you guess this was your lover?" The woman shook her captive.

"The Locker. She represents all of Taylor's darkest thoughts about herself. Her feelings of inadequacy, lack of self worth, and belief that she's hideous." I turned a sad gaze to the figure. "She still believes sometimes that she has no voice. That someday it will all turn out to be a dream. The thing is she's also the most grounded part of Taylor. The drive to succeed in spite of her own insecurities. She hid in The Locker to protect herself from you. I'm the one that lead you to her. Taylor...Taylor's been trying to save herself...it's why she could enter the Paradigm Shift. I'm so sorry for not realizing it sooner." The twisted figure slowly uncoiled as I spoke. Her face cleared as the ruined body gained definition. The red eyes gazed at me with hope. A desperate hope. The Simurgh nodded slowly as I confirmed something for her.

"I see. Thank you for explaining that for me. I have to ask...why did you answer me?" She asked curiously.

"I was buying time." My smile turned positively feral. The woman stopped suddenly. Despite what she felt was an overwhelming advantage, her caution finally caught up to her.

"For what?" She asked breathlessly.

"Me. LEAVE MY CHILD ALONE!" The woman in white, Annette Rose Hebert, struck the perfect woman in the face so hard a shock wave erupted from point of impact. As soon as the Simurgh's grip loosened I was in motion, grabbing the girl, and leaping away from ground zero. The angelic woman stared at the apparition of a vengeful mother. The entire right side of her face was cracked like broken marble. Her eyes stared in sudden fear.

"I destroyed her Mind Guardian! What the hell are you!?" She stared at the figure before her. Annette wore a white toga with a four white wings emerging from her back. Her face was etched in cold fury.

"Ethereal Blast!" The image of Taylor's mother brought her hands over her head before unleashing a blue white blast of energy straight for the enemy. The Endbringer dodged to the side desperately, but the attack was too fast and too wide. She took a terrible blow to the torso that caused it to crack like her face.

"Mommy..." The girl in my arms spoke wonderingly.

"Even now she believes your worth saving. I believe it too. We all love you and want you to come home." I told her. She shook in disbelief, but the proof was before her. Her mother was in an aerial dogfight with an Endbringer over her soul.

"Without love there is no happiness." Taylor said as she stepped into the area.

"Without hope there is no tomorrow." Aria said as she arrived as well.

"Without faith there is nothing." The girl in my arms spoke. From the direction of the Rig there was a shuddering quake. The three faces of Taylor glowed brightly. Each charm I possessed flew to each of them. The Rose to Love. The Visor to Hope. The Flute to Faith. The battling women separated. The Simurgh looked like she had faced the force of an angry Will. Annette was clearly still fresh. She smiled at her daughter.

"What...what is that...?" The Simurgh's voice was cracking.

"I don't think we need to fight anymore." Annette informed the apprehensive being. I stared at the sight looming in the distance. The giant white and gold insectoid machine bunched it's legs and rocketed forward in a mighty leap that carried directly to the Gate. A metal fist full of fury struck downwards, eclipsing it's much smaller target, and driving the Endbringer into the ground with finality.

"Ouch..." Dogpiled by the angry representation of a mother and what looked like Atlas 2.0? I almost felt sorry for the Simurgh.

Almost.

The fist twisted twice as it ground it's victim. The sounds of crunching and cries of disbelieving pain were hard to listen to. Taylor, whole once more, approached the crater as the fist pulled back. The broken figure twitched and squirmed in the dirt.

"Can't...escape...h-how...?" The shattered figure asked painfully.

"You willingly entered into my Cosmosphere. You entered my Soul. Did you honestly believe you had any real power here? Your attack was fast and I was on the back foot, but I have something you didn't. I have Cocona. I have loved ones that care about me. She helped me fortify myself. The reason you can't escape? Welcome to the fifth level bitch. We are on the cusp of my deeper subconscious. My power here is absolute." Taylor stepped towards the weakening figure. "This won't kill you. You have something that prevents your death. Even now all I can do is trap you here." She grinned wickedly. I backed up by Annette.

"Why am I feeling sorry for the Simurgh?" I asked quietly.

"My daughter is about to do something the Endbringer can't recover from." The woman in white answered me. Taylor reached down and touched a sphere attached to one of the Simurgh's wings. The stricken angel screamed in sudden fear, but was unable to move. Unable to stop what was happening.

"So that's the secret of your power...no wonder you can't be defeated. This core...I can make better use of it. Thank you for your contribution to the world's future." Taylor grasped the core and ripped it free. The Simurgh let out one final cry before shriveling into nothing. She looked back at us, looked to the core, and brought it to her own chest.

"What...?" I rushed towards her. She groaned as the core started to enter her body. I threw my arms around her, adding my will to her own. If she was going to do something insane then it wasn't going to be alone. Taylor gasped in pain for a moment before those gasps became considerably less pained. I would have been embarrassed if the reflected sensation wasn't traveling through me as well. When the feeling passed it was just the two of us at the Boundary Gate. A golden light traveled through the cracks causing it to be sealed safely once more. I felt a peculiar shift in my own mind as something thought lost was restored. Taylor held me close as the realization of what happened shot through my brain. My own Boundary Gate, sacrificed to save many before, was whole again.

"What happened...?" I asked her. She shook her head.

"That's a good question. I always knew my mom was with me, but this was definitely a new one. The giant machine was being constructed for the specific purpose of destroying the intruder. I actually had the Simurgh poking around in my Cosmosphere?" She shook her head in disbelief.

"What do we do now?" I asked her. Taylor looked at me and sighed.

"We're still trapped in here. I'm almost strong enough to get us out. The core I just hijacked has settled on a lower level. If you can connect me to it then we can escape. I hate pushing so much of this on you..." I kissed her to make her stop talking. She purred happily.

"No blaming yourself. When we find out the real culprit we'll blast them out of existence." I swore. Taylor grinned back.

"Fine. I won't blame myself if you stop obsessing." She promised.

"You drive a hard bargain." I smiled faintly. The air shifted. Paradigm Shift? We left the Boundary Gate and made our way to the Stonehenge. Considering what we just went through it made sense that the shift would happen. We stepped into the light, but the thought of the lower levels worried me. Even without a crazy bitch making a mess of things I couldn't see this getting any easier. I hoped I was wrong.

-Cosmosphere Level 5: Complete-

-Back in the Lab: 2 Days into the Incident-

Armsmaster threw his helmet across the room before throwing himself into a chair. Dragon leaned back against the table with a tired groan. The programming was going slowly. Far more slowly than they expected. It was like someone was countering them in real time. Mir was forced to take a rest when she almost passed out at the terminal. Her body was pushed beyond it's endurance. Shurelia called into Tyria to take over. Frelia was talking to Aria and Granspear's family to help comfort them. The situation had been spiraling downward for days. The coma was deep and the only assurance was there minds were still active.

Something happened that caused the two of them great distress. Their respiration had increased. Brain activity had increased into the dangerous range. Something terrible was happening and there was nothing they could do but hope for the best. The crisis reached it's peak when they started screaming before falling silent once more.

"What happened?" Danny demanded. The girls clustered around him peered at the other adults in fear and worry.

"I have no idea." The Protectorate Tinker sounded frustrated. He hated being helpless. Dragon ran her fingers through his hair. Mouse Protector had removed her helmet and stood with Danny's arm around her.

"Someone hacked into her Cosmosphere." Shurelia's voice held a great deal of outrage. They looked to the terminal in shock.

"She was forced into a coma from the outside while someone broke in from the inside. Two pronged assault." Tyria wasn't as close to Taylor as the rest, but Cocona was in danger too. She sounded angry as well.

"Is there anything that you can do?" Danny asked.

"Somehow it's been taken care of...I suppose-" Shurelia was interrupted by the Endbringer alarm dedicated to the Simurgh alone. Something was happening with the angelic being. Looks of horrified comprehension were exchanged. Could that be what happened? The relevant satellite information was accessed. The image was incomprehensible. The Simurgh, most feared of the three Endbringers, was crumbling. The body jerked spasmodically as cracks and fissures burst over the frame. It twisted and shriveled in space. Fragments broke free from the body faster and faster. Soon there was nothing left but a lone sphere hovering in space. The pieces of shattered Endbringer floated around the sphere aimlessly.

All eyes rested on the two girls still locked in a coma. For a moment their lips curved upward in triumph.

AN: I'm surprised that I managed two posts on this story today. My muse is being weird today. A good weird.

Sixth Arc 6.7
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.7

-Cosmosphere Level 6-

Okay this was strange. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on Diving, because I'm not. The previous level was an important one. Taylor's full psyche came together and restored equilibrium. The Boundary Gate was healed. I was still in shock over finding out that the damned Simurgh was the interloper. She had subverted a part of my girlfriend's mind into letting her in. I was still unsure over whether that was actually Annette or a representation of her. Either way I had a front row seat to an Endbringer getting demolished. Taylor ate the Simurgh's core.

My brain is sprained. Seriously sprained. Push it aside for now. I still had a job to do. My fingers were crossed and I hoped it was just a little easier. Maybe. I cast my gaze over the map and noted the changes. The Crystal Tree was huge. It had almost tripled in size. Winslow High had shrunk down until it wasn't even a location anymore. The Rig wasn't a location either. Standing in the water was the giant machine that had aided in crushing the Simurgh. He actually waved at me.

"Atlas!?" He nodded back!

"Greetings Cocona! Your concern has been appreciated. I am ready to perform my duties to an even greater degree." The giant machine assured me. I had the image of her summoning him. The idea appealed to me mainly from amusement. Even Reyvateils where I come from don't create things quite as big as him.

"I'll look forward to seeing more of you. Any advice?" I asked him. The look he leveled on me was amused. Somehow the optics gave the impression of amusement.

"Go to the open locations?" He suggested. Ah well it was worth a try. I made my way to the Tree and almost fell on my rear at the sight. The Crystal Tree was enormous. It had completely overtaken the cemetery. The branches cast shade for what felt like miles. I touched the trunk of the tree reverently.

"You're no longer stunted, huh?" I asked rhetorically.

"Definitely not. The roots are allowed to grow deep and gain proper nourishment." The woman in white rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you Taylor's mother?" I asked her.

"Good question." The woman smiled mysteriously eliciting a laugh from me.

"Fair enough. I shouldn't pry." I smiled faintly.

"How else will you learn anything? There is nothing here for you at this moment, Cocona. Come back later dear." The angel shooed me out. Well that was pleasant. At least the questions I was left with wouldn't result in immediate destruction if they weren't answered. Mentally and spiritually I was fine for now. So was Taylor. Physically on the other hand we would be in trouble. I had no idea how long we were in here, but our bodies would suffer. Reyvateils are not meant to sustain Dives for so long. I focused on the house. It was larger than before as well with a more aesthetically pleasing look. It looked like the concept of a perfect house. I had to push through the barrier and immediately felt it slam shut behind me. Eep.

"Co-co-na~!" A voice caroled out in a warm sing-song. I shivered involuntarily from not terror, but an entirely separate emotion. My mouth went dry as I appeared in Taylor's bedroom. I think it was her bedroom. The walls were done in a soft white and everything was edged or made of a rich dark wood. The bed was king size, I think, but it might have been larger. The blanket was blood red with black satin sheets. I could only focus on the room before my eyes were forced to look at the centerpiece. Taylor lay on the bed with half-lidded eyes and a satisfied smirk. Her clothing consisted of a very brief nightgown that concealed, but accentuated.

"Uh...hi Taylor...?" Oh please tell me this wasn't another aspect she needed to reintegrate. The mood music playing in the background was anything but soothing. I had to clear my throat and swallow some saliva.

"Of course it's me. Who else? Why don't you come over here and give me a kiss?" She held her arms open to me invitingly.

"Well it's just that...I..." Tongue-tied is not the way to go here. Taylor just pouted at me. The idea of kissing her wasn't a bad one. Why was I resisting her?

"Please...? I just want to love you..." She implored me. This had better not lead to a fade to black moment or my mind might break for a different reason! I moved closer to the bed to kiss her. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I found myself on the bed. Taylor held me in her arms.

"My head feels funny...I'm not ready for this..." I said softly, but my body refused to move.

"Relax my darling. I am not ready for that either, but holding you in my arms is something I never grow tired of." My girlfriend purred sensually. My mind was whirling with sensation while my body wasn't under my control. She had me helpless in her arms. Where there should have been fear, I had trust.

"You won't let me down." I told her with certainty. Her eyes widened a bit, but nodded.

"I just want you in my arms forever. Hurting you is the furthest thing from my mind." She stroked my hair tenderly. I snuggled closer to her while my arms wrapped around her waist.

"We really should do this more." I agreed.

"What if we never had to leave?" She asked gently.

"Then we die for real." My voice was apologetic. It was a nice fantasy to stay here forever and let the world spin without us, but dreams have to end sometime. Taylor huffed softly.

"Here I am in a shameful outfit on a sinful bed with lust inducing music and you want to leave. I swear nothing is ever good enough for you." She looked at me fondly.

"It's not like we can't have this you know." I explained. Taylor frowned slightly.

"I already agreed with you. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves before getting back to our...business." She purred, but her eyes had gone diamond hard. I was too pushy again, huh? This was becoming a theme.

"I'm sorry. I'm used to bulling my way forward. When I get worried about a loved one it only gets worse." I admitted with eyes downcast.

"What a fine pair we are? You won't enjoy yourself here, will you?" She asked rhetorically.

"I'm sorry, but no." My voice was soft. I wanted to hold her in our real bodies. I didn't want us stuck in this death trap. She clung to me tightly, almost suffocatingly, but I endured. What kind of strength was it taking for her to just let me go when she had all the power?

"Damn...go. Get out of here. Hurry or I might change my mind." Taylor pushed me away with a brittle smile. There was a peculiar shift that I had come to associate with a Paradigm Shift. I hurried to the Stonehenge, fully expecting something else going wrong, but was almost peculiarly disappointed. My Taylor stood there before the shaft of light with a bemused expression.

"Are you actually ready for this...?" I asked her warily. She gave me a wry smile.

"When the Simurgh was playing around in my Cosmosphere she was dredging things up from deeper in my psyche. Concepts that needed to be resolved the further down you went. She was trying to destabilize me by shuffling key things around. We already covered my issues of wanting to keep you all to myself. It was easier for me to push you away because it's blindingly obvious how badly you want to be with me." She said with a pleased smile. I was reminded of what Atlas had said originally. There were many things out of sequence. Taylor nodded at my poleaxed expression.

"She was cramming your levels together!?" I couldn't stop my voice from going into a high shriek.

"My Will was stronger than hers so the layers weren't destroyed, but quite a bit was rearranged. So it might be easier going ahead...or worse. I'm not sure which. Judging by your advanced state of wariness it might be worse." My girlfriend was subtly warning me that I was on a hair trigger. Her representations were taking their cues from my actions. There was nothing else to say as we stepped into the light. The transition was surprisingly swift...

-Level 6: Complete-

-Level 7-

"Oh damn it..." The map was flooded. Why was it flooded? Atlas 2.0 was erecting a bulwark around the Crystal Tree. There was no other land except there. Okay so freaking out wouldn't help. Getting angry wouldn't help either. Would crying help? Probably not. The madness of the overlong Dive was affecting me again. If I was lucky the lady in white would let me rest at the Tree again. When I arrived it was quite a shock. All along the tree there appeared to be stairs anchored to the crystal. Buildings and homes were assembled on each of the different landings. I could see several hovering platforms that functioned as elevators to the other levels. There was even a road.

The Tree had become it's own little world. What did this say about her mind? The larger upper plates reminded me of something. There was a floating ring around the Tree and two large artificial landmasses. I gawked as my brain made the connection. The artificial landmasses attached to the tree were the Wings of Horus from the first Tower. The ring was from my home Tower. The various small towns represented the third Tower.

"She cribbed notes from the Origins...why am I not surprised...?" I asked myself. So the world was underwater. This was the last bastion of civilization. It almost seemed to mirror the situation where I came from. The world below was uninhabitable so we were forced to live on the Towers. That was the simple explanation. However the difference was that this was water and not a death fog.

"Stay back from the water Lady Cocona!" A voice cried out to me. I turned to look and had to check that I wasn't dreaming. Lady Cloche was approaching in a hurry while wearing a bizarre outfit. It almost looked like a blue and purple flight attendant's uniform if not for the long split skirt and the saucer on her head.

"...Lady Cloche?" I asked hesitantly. She looked puzzled.

"You are a Lady, not I. The consort of our leader, Taylor Aria. She has requested your presence." Welcome to the Outer Limits, Cocona. Stay awhile.

"After you then." I gestured for her to lead me there. She looked confused for a second, but did as I asked. It seemed that we were heading for one of the hover lifts.

"Our Lady has been in meetings all day. Ever since the Earth was covered in water by Leviathan's rampage it seems that nothing is working. Society collapsed almost immediately and it just degenerated from there." My escort was feeling chatty so at least I wouldn't be walking into this blind.

"What about the heads of the nations? Didn't anyone try to help?" I asked. She looked at me in surprise that I didn't know this. I hastened to explain, "I'm just curious about your take on it." The confusion cleared and she nodded in acceptance. Whew!

"The heads had nothing beneath them to support their status. They tried to bluster, but their nations devolved into anarchy. With the water continuing to rise and more of the population dying they turned to Our Lady to save them. She had already been working on this solution. The Crystal Tree. Her Tower. With the support and hard work of the masses the Tower was completed in just five years. It began as a Song that had solidity. Using the power of the Simurgh's core. Then as work progressed an infrastructure was formed. In that time we had to repel Leviathan and Behemoth many times. Our Lady never faltered. The Golden Man even failed to stop construction. The Endbringers are a thing of the past. Capes, Heroes, and Villains are an old concept. In this new world it is no longer Us and Them, but We." Cloche clasped her hands together in delight. Utopia after the End.

"Thank you for that. It was certainly enlightening." I gave higher speech a try. Cloche gave me a grateful smile, but also a puzzled look. Okay so I still spoke like a normal person. We exited the lift well above the Earth below. I looked further up and was honestly not surprised to see the top of the tree continued into space. Up there must be the Rinkernator. The location that is supposed to be purely Origins only. My guide lead me into the administrative center. Why wasn't I surprised that it looked like the PRT building? If the symbolism remained consistent then we would end up at the Director's office. Called it. I felt whatever lingering worry start to relax.

"Here we are my Lady. It was a pleasure." Cloche bowed before leaving me to enter the door. Inside the office the desk was cluttered. Pictures of family adorned the walls. There was a nice balance of business and personal designed to put the visitor at ease. Taylor looked up from her work. She flashed me a tired smile.

"Hard to believe it's only been ten years since the End." Her smile turned into a pensive frown. "I just wish it didn't have to come to this. The Crystal Tree was never meant to be the last bastion of humanity. It was meant to be a symbol of Hope. Cocona...I hate this." She admitted in a small voice. I stepped around the desk and held her.

"What could you have done differently?" I asked. She stared straight ahead.

"I don't know...doing anything would have been better than doing nothing..." Taylor murmured.

"But what if it failed? At least this way there was something in place that allowed mankind to live on. Sometimes the best you can do is save what you can." That was the sad fact. Her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Intellectually I know that, but I can never accept it in my heart. There has to be another way. Reacting and reacting just loses wars. This is a war we cannot afford to lose." She gazed at me a moment before smiling. "That was what you wanted me to remember, huh?"

"Move forward, but have a back up plan. It's basic tactics." I kissed her gently. "Don't accept second best." She giggled softly. There was a shift in the air.

"Go. I still have work to do. I'll meet you later." Taylor said lovingly.

"We have all the time in the world together." I left the office and reappeared above the map. The Stonehenge was ready for entrance. My Taylor was inside waiting for me.

"I'm scared that my plans won't pan out. That something is going to happen and I'm left with nothing to do but mitigate the damage." She said. Her posture was still hopeful, but tempered by realism.

"Whatever happens you are not alone. We can do this together. If you miss something one of us will figure it out. Despedia, Lisa, Sonata, and Dad." I told her with a smile.

"Let's not forget Armsmaster, Dragon, Mir, Shurelia, Frelia...oh." She stopped while blushing sheepishly. "Point made. No man is an island..." The light from the Stonehenge flared brighter. Oh. She wasn't ready yet, but now she truly was.

"Ready to go now?" I asked. She hooked arms with me.

"Now I am. Let's go." We stepped into the light together. I had no idea what was next, but it was almost guaranteed to be weirder from here on.

Sixth Arc 6.8
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.8

-Cosmosphere Level 8-

The land of water remained. The Crystal Tree had grown even taller as it clearly had enough nutrition to grow from. The bulwarks were fully in place as Atlas 2.0 had been joined by several giant robots of similar size. I looked up towards the sky and stared. The Rinkernator was in fact represented on the map. The Simurgh's Core hovered like a baleful sun with numerous wires and other connectors extending towards it. So it settled in the eighth level. There were flying machines holding the Core as if keeping it from descending any farther. I analyzed it to closely and found myself entering the area.

There were numerous people in body armor hurrying to and fro. I skipped to the side to avoid someone hurrying past towards the main console. The flying machines were docked at a floating ring around the Core. Taylor was at the console, her face a mask of concentration. Without turning around she beckoned me over.

"What an amazing thing. This Core has within in power equivalent to a spiral galaxy. The Simurgh was vastly more powerful than she let on. A scary thought. Thankfully she challenged us on a battlefield conditioned for our victory." Taylor informed me gently. I'm glad she was gentle about it because the amount of power was staggering.

"Each Endbringer has power like this?" I asked with a sick feeling in my stomach. My girlfriend nodded grimly.

"Oh yes. It gets worse. From what we've managed to trace there are not three, but twenty Endbringers." She looked me dead in the eyes. I felt the breath leave my body, but nothing came back. Taylor abruptly slapped my back. "Breath lovely. Breath."

"That is so boo!" My fear was abruptly shoved back by pure indignation. "How the hell are we supposed to fix this?" Taylor smiled a bit.

"Each Core is connected. I can trace the tether back to their common point and shut the Endbringers off." She had a faraway look in her eyes. "It would be more accurate to call them self sustaining projections. Their Core is the true body while damaging anything else won't even hurt them. In order to do that I need to harness this one. I've been trying to find a safe way to do it, but it keeps slipping to a lower level to avoid analysis." Taylor looked grim.

"It keeps going lower. If it goes past the ninth level..." I didn't finish. If it went that far down the Core would be lost to her. It wouldn't be a threat, but it wouldn't be a boon either.

"There are places I can't enter. They're part of this level while I'm technically not. Being Administrator has some advantages when it comes to Cosmosphere manipulation." She smiled faintly, but the strain was visible. This was not something she was taught. This was hard won knowledge during a war we weren't meant to win.

"We're close to the end of this. Where do I need to go?" I asked her.

"This will be dangerous. I need the last three pillars of insecurity to be destroyed. Not finessed, but destroyed. This great big ball of stupid dragged things from the previous levels down here." Taylor rubbed her forehead tiredly. I touched her back comfortingly.

"This can't be easy for you. If anyone tries to say you're weak then they're fuckin' crazy." I didn't swear often, but it was worth making her laugh.

"That's why I can say destroy them. They don't mean anything anymore, but are holding back significant portions of my willpower." She sounded annoyed. No emotional connection, but still having an effect on her? I could see why that would be annoying.

"I'll take care of it." I gave her a quick kiss before heading back to the map. The Three Pillars were loosely arranged where Winslow High used to be. The black pillars jutted from the seas arrogantly. There was a circle of marble holding the water back. I didn't remember seeing that when I arrived, but it made sense. She had to point it out to me for the area to appear. I appeared on a flat circular platform high in the air with three basalt pillars stabbing towards the heavens. Each one was carved with a relief of a different person. The first was of a beautiful girl with a voluptuous figure. The second was of an athletic girl, her face in a stern mask. The last was a waif by comparison. Oh boy. I knew who they were. I looked about for something to help me start smashing. A large hammer materialized in the center of the platform. It was heavy, but should do the job.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." A young voice that was intimately familiar to me spoke up. I turned to look and saw before my eyes...myself. Younger. She had her hair up in twin tails held in place by the rings from her staff. Well, my staff. Even the dress was the same.

"I was told to smash the pillars." I explained. She huffed.

"Do you always do as your told?" Little Cocona asked.

"Taylor herself told me. She's the one who knows about this stuff." I tried to justify, but her expression didn't change.

"Uh huh. So why was she so insistent they be destroyed?" It wasn't helping that the mini me was making sense.

"I have no idea. The Taylor I spoke to...no wait. I only have her word for it that she's the actual Taylor. But I still think breaking the pillars has to be done." A wild idea had taken root as I spun the hammer in my hands.

"Will you go through me to do it?" Little Cocona asked as she twirled her staff into position.

"Do you trust yourself at all?" I asked her.

"Why don't you explain it to me?" She countered.

"I can't. Because if I'm right then talking to you is a bad idea. Sorry Mini Me, but move aside." With that I strode towards the pillar with the smallest carving. My ghost of Cocona past watched me warily as I raised the hammer. I exhaled slowly and expanded my awareness. My Will hummed to life and I could See what needed to be done. The hammer flashed down above the head of the relief. I began working methodically softening the basalt carefully. Each swing was backed by certainty. I hooked my fingers into the relief and pulled carefully. The smallest carving came loose as Madison. I set her to one side and moved to the middle one.

"Curiouser and curiouser." Little Cocona murmured. Uh huh. My suspicion was bearing fruit. Taylor was right about these pillars needing to be broken. She was deliberately offhand about their destruction. Once more I carefully extracted Sophia from the pillar. The little me was watching all of this with interest. I am naturally curious, but this wasn't childish curiousity. If she was truly meant to represent me at that age...she failed miserably. Especially quoting Lewis Carroll like that.

"Time for you to come out of there, Emma." I muttered, but before I could set to work she interrupted me.

"You are a tough nut to crack. I thought you were easy to figure out. Your love for her made you blind, impulsive, and bullheaded. At least that's what I thought. Now here you are showing there is a mind at work. Why is that?" The younger me was no longer looking quite like me. Her skin was much paler and the eyes had become voids filled with stars.

"In order to get through to Taylor you can't show a false front. Too cunning and she closes off. Too hard and she fights back. The balance is simple. Just be yourself and move forward. Don't put on a facade. That's all you're good at though. When you finally did make your move before it ended disastrously. Now here you are again. She gave the order to smash these pillars. You had already got to the Taylor of this level. If it was this level's Taylor I wouldn't question it. My Taylor though wouldn't tell me to smash pieces of her psyche. She's not stupid." I bit off. The hammer glowed before resolving itself into a silver lance. My clothes shifted into a blue and white battle dress. In my hair was silver wings attached to a gold braided headband.

"You baited the hook. As long as you weren't sure who I was then destroying me was impossible." The Simurgh looked grudgingly impressed. While she wore my face the Cosmosphere protected her. She only had to masquerade as me long enough for me to cause irreparable damage. The Trio of Winslow had caused her a great deal of pain, but had also taught her about inner strength. She built herself from the ground up and regained her confidence. Better and more solid than ever. These Pillars were that pain, but also her triumph. Removing the reliefs meant nothing. When I left they would repair themselves.

"I had to convince you that somehow a mistake was being made." I twirled the spear. It reminded me of a silver flute in places. The headband was the visor. My dress was the rose. Each identified piece flared and I felt Taylor behind me.

"Damn..." The diminished remnant knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this battle was over before it began. She drew on the last of her power and fired a ball of pure energy at the Emma pillar. I slid in front of the basalt relief and struck the blast back with the spear shaft. As soon as the shot was deflected I sprinted forward with the spear held low. The energy blast had been weakened, but it still knocked her off balance. My spear struck true, right through her heart.

"Any last words...?" I asked her. She smiled faintly.

"The connection...is Eidolon..." Her eyes closed and the form faded away. The pillars were restored to their formerly pristine condition.

"Eidolon, huh? Great..." I muttered. There was some doubt about whether she was telling the truth, but I was also a firm believer that evil bitches twisted the knife at the end. Heading back to where I left my Taylor was easier than expected. She took in my outfit with a raised eyebrow.

"I have to say it's a beautiful look. You look like a warrior angel come to spirit me away." Taylor teased me, but the look of appreciation was genuine.

"It was pretty slick sending me to deal with the pillars. You couldn't tell me there was still an infiltration going on..." I trailed off as she looked uncomfortable.

"Ah...Cocona honey? I really did want you to destroy the pillars. Completely. I wasn't being influenced by anyone, but myself...I thought that it was one of those destroy the old to make way for the new kind of thing..." Taylor giggled nervously.

"This wasn't according to your plan, huh? Oh." We stared at each other in silence. The brunette across from me laughed more genuinely.

"I'm glad that you're wiser than I am." Taylor sighed in relief.

"Eidolon." I prodded her. She grimaced at the reminder.

"Right. That's a whole can of worms right there. At least it gives us a vector to work from. I would have to meet him to fully subvert the Endbringer protocols. As it is, through the Simurgh's Core, I can suppress the activation of the Endbringers that weren't activated yet." Taylor explained. It didn't do anything about the Endbringers that were already active, but every little it helps.

"What about after the Simurgh was defeated? Wouldn't another one have activated?" I asked in concern.

"I know their activation can be stopped because it's already happened." She assured me. Good.

"How goes it with the Core?" I gestured. The Core had numerous cables connected to it and a shell was being constructed to encase it safely.

"Good. I need your power to help me finish the assimilation. After all you were the one that helped me take it in the first place." Taylor smiled at me. I didn't really have to think about it. She was having trouble taking it before so I helped guide it in. I nodded in acceptance. We held each other as the remainder of the shell encased the large Core. I projected my feelings to her with all my heart. Her own feelings enveloped me in warmth and safety. There was a rumbling crash as the final seals locked into place. The change was immediate. Taylor started to pant as if she had run miles at a dead sprint. A similar feeling of exhaustion washed over me. The heat was unbelievable, but the burn felt so good.

"That...was quite a rush..." I managed to say tiredly. Taylor stroked my hair softly.

"Yeah it was...uhn...wow." My girlfriend nodded shakily. "Thanks for the help." She smiled faintly. There was a change in the air. I knew this feeling by now.

"I'll see you at the Stonehenge." I told her. She looked confused.

"There is no Stonehenge here." With that I was pushed out of the location. Wait. This whole time I was talking to the Taylor of this level? Weird. Very weird. I entered the Stonehenge. My Taylor was clearly amused at my expense.

"Oh ha ha ha. Laugh it up. I can't believe I mistook her for you...oh you know what I mean! Stop laughing!" I know my tone was petulant, but she was laughing. She pulled me into her arms.

"Oh my darling girl...fine...I won't tease you anymore. I promise." Taylor's voice was warm with amusement.

"The Core is connected at least." I pointed out.

"Each Endbringer has a faint connection to the others. Through the Simurgh I can tap the Endbringers that aren't awake. Not much, but a bit. If I can disconnect them from Eidolon then subverting them becomes easier, but that's for later." She visibly clamped down on her enthusiasm. The horror her people have had to live with for so long was almost a bad dream instead of a waking nightmare.

"Let yourself be thrilled. Sure, take it one step at a time, but don't forget to be happy." My tone was playful, but the message was serious. Let her hope shine through. She nodded an affirmative.

"Let's go. It's almost time for us to wake up." Taylor linked arms with me as we approached the light. The feeling of lightness was intoxicating. Once we were through the next level she would be able to force us both out. That was the theory at any rate.

We would escape this prison. I still had a date with the ones responsible.

-Cosmosphere Level 8: Complete-

Last edited:
Sixth Arc 6.9
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Sixth Arc 6.9

-Cosmosphere Level 9-

The map had returned. It was very different from before, but at least the water had receded. The Crystal Tree was still the same as the previous level. I could look at the scene below with hope. Taylor was able to see her dream and the potential future exist side by side. That was definite progress. There was a sunny sky shining down on the peaceful city of Brockton Bay. The "sun" was the glowing Core shining through the glass shell. I looked back down below and saw Atlas 2.0 playing in the bay with Dragonzord. That wasn't strange at all. Weirdly enough I could actually picture them tussling like that. The house had been replaced by a shrine. It had several elements in common with a church. I arrived at the location just by focusing on it. The windows were stained glass representations of everyone in our life. Each was given a place of prominence. The inside resembled a chapel with a high vaulted ceiling. Just behind the altar was a statue of Annette.

"Do you like it?" My eyes were drawn to the entrance. Standing in the doorway was my Taylor. She was wearing a white dress reminiscent of a wedding dress. Classic in initial appearance with a woven gold and silver bodice, detached sleeves, and fingerless satin gloves. Her feet were clad in white heels while her legs were encased in thigh high white stockings. The asymmetrical skirt completed the look nicely. I nodded dumbly.

"You're beautiful..." I dimly realized that my own outfit was the same as the previous level. We were in matching outfits. I just noticed the significance. She approached me with measured steps.

"From the very start I knew. It wasn't a conscious thing. I was so blind in the beginning, but my heart was yours. The more time we spent together, the certainty only grew. I admit to being afraid. Afraid of telling you how I felt and being rejected. There was always some part of me that waited for the other shoe to drop. You have shown me time and again how foolish I was being. Thank you for being with me. Thank you so much for loving me. I love you so much...you are the only one I ever wanted to Dive into me." Taylor took my hands as she spoke. Her eyes were shining with happy tears.

"I'll admit that faced with your eloquence anything I'm speechless. Well, not speechless exactly. Overwhelmed? Definitely. Saying that you had me at hello is the truth. I'll admit that when we first met part of me thought we could be like sisters. The notion didn't last long. It didn't feel right to me. The more we spoke the stronger my feelings grew. No matter what I am here for you. We can face whatever happens together. When you asked me to Dive...I was so happy. I'm still happy and excited to spend my life with you." We were blushing by the end of it and smiling at each other. Our conviction to stand side by side was stronger than ever. We kissed. A surge of warmth and light flowed through us. Connecting us on a deeper level than before. The sensation of expanding took me by surprise.

"Like my gift to you?" Taylor beamed. I felt inside and stared at her in amazement.

"You're...sharing the Core with me...?" It was a trickle, but far more than I expected.

"Without you I couldn't have claimed it, Cocona. Part of it belongs to you. Take it along with my heart." She looked fondly amused. I blinked sudden tears from my eyes. Taylor held me close and I gave her a happy squeeze.

"You're spoiling me." I said softly.

"You're worth it." She replied. We stood like that as nothing immediately came along to ruin the moment. A feeling of peace and acceptance washed over us in continuous waves. There was faint stirring in the air.

"What...? A Paradigm Shift...? That shouldn't be possible..." Before the fear could take hold, Taylor kissed my forehead.

"Easy there. Let's just go take a look, okay?" She smiled like this was something expected. I tamped down my worry and trusted her not to lead us astray. We left the house only to see what looked like an emerald green Stonehenge behind the house.

"What is that?" I asked her.

"Come with me and you'll find out." Taylor gave my hand a tug.

"If we fall off into oblivion I'm blaming you." My smile was accepting. If she was planning on that we wouldn't have spent so much time healing her psyche. We jumped into the Stonehenge and passed through a digital corridor. There was no sensation of falling even though it was clear we were going down...

-Cosmosphere Level 9: Complete-

-Cosmosphere Level E-

Level E? What was Level E? Taylor looked back with a reassuring smile. I smiled back and let myself be lead. A flash of light signified our entrance into a new area. It was the room where we first met. We were in the Binary Field. Shurelia and Mir were waiting for us. The older Reyvateils looked up from their terminals with identical expressions of bemusement. It was almost comical how similar they looked. Shurelia was wearing her coveralls while Mir was wearing a pair as well. Like light and dark mirrors.

"Hey Mom. Hey Aunt Shurelia. Look who just got married." Taylor greeted them cheerfully. It was all I could do not to explode with laughter.

"H-Hi Lady Shurelia...h-hey M-Mir..." Okay trying not to laugh and actually succeeding were two very different things.

"Taylor! Cocona!" Their voices came out in a weird form of synchronization. Before we knew what was happening we had two very weepy Reyvateils in our arms. Taylor was hugging Mir while I was comforting Shurelia. At some point we ended up exchanging them as they both wanted to be sure we were healthy. Taylor looked very uncomfortable for her flippant greeting.

"Sorry for worrying you..." She apologized once we stopped crying long enough to speak. We drifted over to the long sofa and sat in a cuddle pile.

"Stop that...you didn't do anything wrong..." Mir's voice sounded thick. She took a moment to compose herself.

"We're just happy that you're alright. The Dive machine will be back online in twenty minutes. You'll be free to leave then." Shurelia was recovering faster, or just had more experience. The second one was more likely.

"How did you get here?" Mir asked.

"We made it through the ninth level and I found the connection you used to bring me into the Binary Field. From there it was easy to just alter the space to allow a portal. I didn't know you would be here, but here we are." Taylor explained. Shurelia looked at me.

"Fudging around in the Cosmosphere is apparently a family trait." She commented wryly. Mir and Taylor looked inordinately pleased at the comparison. "That wasn't a compliment!"

"Can we get a message to our families from here?" I asked. They pointed at the open terminals.

"Go right ahead. I'm sure they'll be happy to know you're alright." Shurelia smiled. I immediately called up Croix to let him know everything was fine. Well it was fine now. He was just happy that I was safe. It was nice that even with the distance we were still as close as ever. Bonds are important no matter where you are. Taylor was very animatedly talking to her family. Actually our family. Hadn't they welcomed me in?

"What will you do now, Sis?" Croix asked.

"We still have a lot left to do, but at least there is an end in sight. I wish you were here..." I admitted. Considering everything I gained it was such a small regret, but it still existed.

"I wish I was there too, but we can still talk. You're still my sister no matter how far apart we are." He smiled warmly at me. A lot of my worry faded as we reaffirmed our bonds of family. A loud siren suddenly blared from the terminal Taylor was using. I quickly looked over and almost wished I hadn't. Her complexion had taken on color like cracked ice.

"Endbringer siren...Endbringer siren in Brockton Bay..." Taylor gaped in apprehension.

"How long before we can get out there?" I asked.

"You'll be free in five minutes, but you'll need time to recover." Shurelia gazed at us helplessly. Mir looked at Taylor pensively.

"Sweetheart..." The endearment slipped out so naturally now. My girlfriend looked at her.

"What is it, Mom?" She asked.

"I know you're going to want to fight...there's something we've been working on based on a Song that Sonata started to craft. She was crafting it for you. I loaded it into your Cosmosphere and it took on a life of it's own." Mir informed her.

"I know the Song you're talking about. Ethereal Blast. The angel I saw was made up of my love for my mothers and Sonata's love for me. Is that why it took the form of my birth mother?" She asked softly.

"Who knows? Does it really matter? You carry a lot of love inside of you and a desire to protect. Be the shield. That is what you were always meant to be." The dark Reyvateil stroked her face tenderly. I and Shurelia nodded our agreement.

"Get ready then. When we get out of here there's someone that needs to learn a lesson." There was steel in her voice and a readiness in her eyes. Whatever we had to face it wouldn't know what hit it.

-Cosmosphere Level E: Interrupted-

AN: Sixth Arc is completed. Level E will be completed later, but now a new situation has developed. Which Endbringer has arrived? Is it in response to what happened to the Simurgh? Stay tuned!

Seventh Arc 7.1
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Seventh Arc 7.1

-May 15, 2011-

-PRT Headquarters: Lab-

There are good ways to wake up and there are bad ways. This skipped bad and shot right into worst possible way ever. The lab was empty save for Astra. The robot was armed with just about every weapon in the lab in a configuration that screamed Sonata did it. There was a force field dome protecting Cocona and I. How well it would work against an Endbringer was anybody's guess. I tried to sit up, but it was an effort. My body was stiff from the coma-like state we were in. I cast my senses out and was almost floored by how powerful they were. It was like I could feel everyone in Brockton Bay all at once. Each one a single note in the great melody that if I could just listen a bit longer...

"Taylor..." Cocona's voice dragged me back from the abyss. I forced myself to turn to her. She was moving sluggishly. The Core was helping me to regain my strength, or at least giving me enough energy to ignore my own infirmities. I made my way to her side.

"Can you move?" I asked her tenderly.

"A little. Ugh...my body doesn't want to respond..." She shifted a bit in the chair, but otherwise was stationary.

"Astra? Take Cocona and get out of here." The robot nodded before coalescing the bubble around my lover.

"Be careful...please..." Cocona stared at me. "You belong to me, got that?" I smiled back. The possessiveness made my heart skip a beat. We belonged to each other. I wouldn't forget that.

"I don't plan on doing more than shooting a trespasser on my property." I said with a wicked grin. Astra opened the outer door with her precious cargo and flew away. This wasn't my Cosmosphere so it wouldn't be as easy I made it sound. Wait. Maybe it would. I had two Songs that would help with this situation, but I needed more information. According the alert blaring across the terminal the battle had been going on for nearly fifteen minutes at this point. That was a lot of time considering the power of the opponent.

Behemoth.

This close to the ocean and I was expecting Leviathan, but the removal of the Simurgh must have disturbed the order. The sight outside was something out of a Godzilla movie. Behemoth, an amalgamation of the beasts of the Earth, was currently engaged outside the city by giant mecha. Dragonzord and Mecha Godzilla were battling it out with the titanic beast. Force field generators had been set up around the city, erecting a massive glowing blue dome. It wasn't looking good. The fliers were little more than annoyances. The Brutes couldn't land definitive blows due to it's radioactive body.

"Thank god you're awake! I've screamed myself hoarse, but all it did was piss him off!" Despedia called out over the chat channel.

"Mou...my Buster Cannons failed too...the only thing that's worked is 2Fast4U. The amplifiers are seriously helping, but I'm starting to run dry." Sonata thankfully didn't have to use her own power. The run dry part was probably from hitting the reactor's draw limit.

"Oh! Alexandria's joining the party!" Newtype reported. I looked closer on the monitor. That was a big sword. At least it was sort of sword like. It looked more like someone jammed a crap ton of generators together, welded them, and hooked up a glowing blade.

"What the hell is that monstrosity?" My inner designer was offended. Highly offended. This seriously wasn't the time! Whatever it was, the damn thing was effective. If it didn't rely on the core only for it's power the way that sword was slicing pieces off would have killed it. They clearly had Behemoth pinned down for as long as he allowed. Now Armsmaster said before that he had the infrastructure set up. My awareness was able to tap into the system he set up and expand outward. The scary as hell rescue raptors that Sonata built were nearby. Each piece of tech that had an amplifier built into it was brought under my control. I climbed into my armor and prepared to Sing. The side door was still open and I used it to get outside to survey the battlefield in the distance.

"When I give the signal have everyone move away from Behemoth. I am preparing to Sing the Song that my daughter made for me." I informed them over the channel. Sonata yelped an uncharacteristic "Oh shit!" that actually made me smile despite the situation. My focus turned inward as the melody came forth. It was strangely melancholy, but with a note of hope. I let the feelings wash over me as the sweet painful nostalgia of enduring love flowed through me. In my mind's eye I saw my birth mother, Annette Rose Hebert, smile at me alongside of Mir. Their faces shifted to my own and down to Sonata. My surety crystallized. My child was in danger. I cast my thought out along the connection to Behemoth.

"Surrender." My Will demanded.

[DENIAL] He roared as energy began to pour off of his body in terrible waves. Alexandria, Dragonzord, and Mecha Godzilla were driven back. The caustic power simmering with all of his spite. I pointed my hand almost in a gesture of invitation. Invitation to his own destruction. My eyes opened and I stared straight at him.

"Now." I told them over the chat. The damaged machines cleared the strike zone even as Alexandria swooped in again to strike with her sword. The energy build up was growing painful. I felt the percentages continue to climb higher and higher. My weakened body was informing me that if this Song did not get used I would have more than a coma to look forward to.

"Make her move! Somebody!" I couldn't keep the desperation out of my mental voice. The Core was reacting as it poured more power into the Song. I could only hope they made it in time.

-Earlier That Day-

The Endbringer sirens were almost used when Mecha Godzilla returned. The giant war machine had come from outside of the city this time. Bigger, more heavily armored, and ready for round two with Dragonzord. The BB Dragonzord was now smaller than it's opponent by almost ten feet and in mass. Uber and Leet had ensured that their giant pal was even stronger now. Motor Boss was frustrated all over again because they were essentially right back at where they started. The smaller machine was more agile and hit hard while the larger was less agile and could take the hits. Their battle nearly made it into the city when a sudden tremor caused both combatants to freeze.

The Endbringer sirens blared as Behemoth emerged from the ground with far more speed than previously seen. There had been almost no warning. The two machines were stopped as their pilots gaped in terrified incomprehension. The earth shattering roar of Behemoth was surprisingly drowned out by the answering scream of deviance from Dragonzord. Mecha Godzilla in a strange solidarity let out it's own cry of rage.

"You're fuckin' kidding me?" Motor Boss stared in confusion.

"The machine spirit is not satisfied. This beast interrupted their contest." Leet stated with surety.

"Well big guy, if you want to face an Endbringer..." Uber trailed off as the mighty machine's presence let his pilots know just what he thought of Behemoth. The villainess couldn't deny that Mecha Godzilla almost felt angry. She gritted her teeth at this pseudo mystical bullshit, but the fact was that her machine wasn't settling down. Engines revved and generators hummed as pseudo muscles warmed.

"The only reason I'm doing this is to prove whose the better Tinker. Got it asshole?" She demanded.

"Let's go!" The dynamic duo and their very large costar joined the battle. Guest star Mecha Godzilla let out a mechanical shriek of dark glee as it rushed the beast. Behemoth let out another bellowing roar as he charged the smaller challengers. The initial crash briefly drowned out the sirens as the multi ton war machines proved their mettle and metal by withstanding the unbelievable strength of a true monster. The people of Brockton Bay were galvanized into action. Emergency Services scrambled to evacuate the citizens. The PRT had mobilized in force to aid the police in ensuring the evacuation was handled in an orderly fashion. They had been caught with their pants down in a very real sense. The Protectorate did what they could to gather capes for the battle, but it was slow going.

Armsmaster, much to his chagrin, had nothing prepared to fight Behemoth. Dragon and Sonata were repurposing Astra into a solid defense for the still comatose girls. If it had been Leviathan they would have had to try and get them off the Rig. It was too late to do anything, but hunker down and pray. Despedia, despite orders to the contrary, took off for the battle.

"Despedia! Get back here!" Dragon's voice was like a whip-crack.

"That asshole is not getting any closer!" She retorted before closing communications. The sight of the war machines doing battle with their titanic foe gave her an idea. Fight smarter, not harder. Let the ones designed for close quarters warfare handle it. She grinned ferally as her flight speed increased. Hyper glide was easily capable of extraordinary speed. Using her shield as a make shift air skimmer allowed her to simulate true flight. She gathered her power, allowing emotion to overtake her, and called up the force from deep inside. Instead of the normal scream a howling shriek emerged. A sphere of nearly transparent energy rocketed downrange at her target. Behemoth screamed in startled pain as the globe of annihilation carved through his spine.

"Wow that birdy's got some pipes!" Leet crowed in appreciation.

"New plan! Lock him down!" Uber ordered. Dragonzord went from actively punching and striking to area denial.

"Tch...fine! We'll do it your way!" Motor Boss hated taking orders from anyone, but this wasn't the time. The larger machine joined it's metal brethren in hemming in the monstrous beast.

"Thanks guys..." Despedia murmured before calling up another shriek. The deadlock continued as the large machines played the world's most dangerous game of Tower Defense while the comparatively tiny girl carved enormous trenches out of Behemoth's body. He was desperately trying to avoid showing his back to her as the parts afflicted were not regenerating properly.

"It's not pretty, but this should do..." Back at the Rig, Armsmaster completed the Endbringer Slayer. When they got out of this he was going to change the name, but little did he know Dragon liked the title. He would rework the design to not be so slipshod. The weapon was designed to be used by his personal mecha.

"Is it finished?" Alexandria strode into Armsmaster's lab. The blue armored Tinker nodded. She didn't reply, just grabbed the massive weapon.

"What are you doing?" He asked her.

"When I get outside could you activate this for me?" She let him know what the plan was. The heroic Tinker frowned slightly, but understood the reasoning. Alexandria would be far more maneuverable than him. Her legendary invincibility would serve better than his robotic creation.

"Standing by for activation." Armsmaster informed her. The strongest woman nodded. She needed to use both hands to hold the weapon, but her strength made lifting it trivial. Alexandria used her Mover rating to the fullest as she barreled towards the conflict, the sword humming to life. The blade was easily fifteen feet in length and glowing a solid green. It demonstrated it's absolute lethality when with the first swing it removed half of Behemoth's face. Despedia flew back to gather her strength. She could feel a harsh tingle starting in the back of her throat. This wasn't the time to crap out now. While Alexandria and the two mecha dragons kept the Endbringer's attention, she built up energy.

"What are you doing!?" Newtype's voice came over the channel.

"One last shot and I'm gonna make it count!" She fired back. The swirling mass of energy caused micro tears in her throat as it spun faster and faster. Her pink eyes shifted to glowing acid green as the energy continued to rise higher and higher.

"Des! Release it! What would Aria say if you killed yourself!? What would that do to her? ...To me?" Lisa pleaded. She couldn't bear to lose even one friend. The white haired cape acknowledged the worry.

"Just watch me...I won't die here..." She promised. The release of sound echoed and reverberated madly as the shriek flew, straight and true, and carved a massive chunk out of Behemoth. His front and back left shoulders slid to the ground with a titanic crash. A glowing orb was seen briefly before it burrowed further into the creature's body.

"Good shot now get to safety." Alexandria flew by the younger cape with genuine appreciation in her eyes. Despedia nodded tiredly before gliding as fast as she could back to the city.

"You totally rock Aunt Des." Sonata told her. The feeling of satisfaction burned in her chest. That bastard wouldn't forget her anytime soon. The younger girl's contribution had been to use 2Fast4U directly on Alexandria. Her turret mounted Buster Cannons weren't even annoying the monster.

"Hey...Aria and Cocona are waking up!" Newtype called out excitedly.

"She's already evacuating me. Sorry guys, but I'm not even able to stand up." Cocona apologized.

"That's fine. We're not doing too badly. I've passed on what Despedia observed that the beast has some strange core." The blonde cape said.

"That core is it's weak point!" That changed things. The information was passed on to Alexandria and the metal dragons. The flying cape's response was to start cutting into the beast and limit the places the core could hide. Unfortunately the further she went, the denser the flesh became. That just meant she had to swing harder. She didn't notice the blade glowing brighter or that the metal was starting to stress.

Alexandria was not about to lay off as long as it looked like her fancy sword was working. Armsmaster jury rigged several reactors, generators, and amplifiers together while overclocking a nanothorn emitter. It was hideous, but also hideously effective. The Triumvirate heroine refused to quit as long as she drew breath. She had already refused to stand down twice. Despedia grit her teeth in frustration. They could see Aria hovering by the Rig. The glowing nimbus that surrounded her was growing more pronounced and the Song grew more distinct. They could feel her strain through the connection. Functionally unlimited power was great, but bodies were significantly more limited.

"Are you sure I can't knock her out?" Des asked plaintively.

"Yes. That wouldn't exactly help things." Newtype stated plainly. Even if she was thinking the same thing.

"We just have to wait for that hastily slapped together thing to burn out. At the rate it's going I can't see it lasting much longer." Sonata tried to reassure them, but worry colored her tone. Despedia squeezed her shoulder.

"If it doesn't then I'll break it." Her speech was coming entirely through the chat because her actual vocal cords were damaged. Fast healing was working, but it would be an hour or more before she had a voice.

They watched with trepidation as the mighty woman continued her reckless assault. The calls for her to stand down were increasing while Behemoth continued to draw up power. She struck a vast overhead blow only for the entire machine start sparking ominously. The sparking advanced to shaking with alarming speed. The nearly shredded Endbringer almost seemed to shake with amusement as the weapon exploded violently. The amount of force released sent the powerful woman plowing into the ground. She stared up at the monster grimly. Alexandria gambled and lost. The Triumvirate cape stood up only to get suddenly plowed into by a white and gold mecha.

"Up we go!" Newtype said over the comm as she flew away with her cargo.

-Back with Aria-

The build up of pressure had become intolerable. Sweat poured down her face as the core burned like a hot coal deep inside. The manifestation was happening without her input. If Alexandria didn't move then they would be forced to find out just how invincible she truly was. When the heroine's weapon exploded there was a tangible feeling of relief. Doubled as Newtype cleared the woman from the strike zone. The angelic woman formed in the air with a serene smile. The smile turned to one of implacable judgment as both hands were thrust forward.

"Ethereal Blast!" The Song was released. A veritable river of multidimensional power, capable of hitting of multiple planes simultaneously, roared like a raging torrent. The blast of blue white light crashed into the severely mutilated Endbringer. Behemoth let out a sharp cry of indescribable agony as flesh was simply annihilated. His core hung suspended in mid air as the flow of energy wore it down like water would a pebble. Taylor mentally reached out to the connection and grabbed hold. The physical core wasn't needed. All she needed was the link. To the outside world it appeared nothing had changed. Behemoth, however, was most definitely dead.

"Mission accomplished..." She smiled faintly before all at once blackness slammed down and her consciousness was lost.

AN: I didn't want the Endbringer battle to be a blurb like the last time. Hopefully this is more exciting and satisfying.

Seventh Arc 7.2
Hymn of Harmony

or Melody of Escalation

Seventh Arc 7.2

-PRT Headquarters: Infirmary-

Once more the sensation of awakening intruded on my sleep. Well, I didn't actually want to sleep. It was purely an involuntary thing. Reports were coming in stating that my body was suffering from acute exhaustion. Great. First I wake up from a coma and now I'm over tired. Systems were green and my energy levels were higher than I ever remembered. Assimilation of Behemoth's metaphysical core was complete. Warm lips pressed onto my own. I knew who it was. Cocona's smiling face filled my vision as the blurriness cleared. She was out of costume, but was wearing the outfit from the Cosmosphere.

"You're so beautiful..." The words slipped out of their own volition. She blushed a bit.

"I couldn't think of a gentler way to wake you up. You wanted to talk to someone?" Cocona reminded me. Eidolon! The name shot through me like a bullet.

"He's here?" Wow I was having trouble sensing anything past the massive ball of energy swirling around inside of me. Technically the cores existed on a metaphysical plane, but my Tower did as well. I could worry about adjusting it all later.

"Yep. The entire Triumvirate is here to talk to you." My girlfriend was worried about something.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"I don't know. Everyone is being really cagey about everything." She helped me to a sitting position.

"They won't let me stay in bed? Barbarians." I muttered. My ELMA Linkage got up from the floor and opened to receive me. I was helped into my faithful machine and it sealed shut. My own body was exhausted, but my mind was clear. The armor would let me maintain the illusion of strength.

"...I wouldn't let them come in." Cocona finally admitted. "The family, sure, but I didn't want anyone else seeing you like that..." I brushed her hair back from her face.

"Thank you. Let's go meet the greatest heroes in the world. Well, three of them." I smirked teasingly. If Scion showed up as well I would probably fangirl. A lot. Weirdly enough I wasn't feeling that way when I thought about the people waiting for me. Probably because Alexandria almost got me killed by refusing to clear ground zero. Eidolon did something and surprise! Endbringers! I was really looking forward to meeting Legend though. Cocona put on one of my spare visors since it did complete the look.

I was able to push back the overwhelming sensation of power and allow my normal senses to come forward. The various agents we passed were agog. I smiled and waved at them. Most of these people I worked with on a daily basis. Inwardly I quailed. Slaying Behemoth was going to change things, but I hoped it wouldn't change things between us too much. Cocona stopped at the door of the conference room. I looked at her in confusion.

"It's you they want to speak to. No one else." She explained. "I'll go let everyone know that you're up." Cocona turned to leave, but I gave her a quick kiss. She rolled her eyes, but still looked pleased. I squared my shoulders before stepping through the door. Seated at the conference table were the Triumvirate. The Trio of Protectorate heroes watched me expectantly.

"Thank you for joining us. You didn't need to bring your armor." Alexandria greeted me pleasantly enough. The underlying tone was faintly disapproving. Armsmaster could get away with wearing his armor everywhere so that tact wouldn't fly.

"I am still recovering from acute exhaustion. My voice is being projected from the suit's sound system." I wasn't going to mention that, but her tone irked me somewhat. My voice projection was pleasant at least. My body language was neatly covered by the armor. Legend looked uncomfortable at the reminder of my condition. Eidolon was also less than pleased. Alexandria could have been made of stone despite the pleasant tone. I could see the faint smile on her face that was meant to be welcoming, but her melody was agitated. All three of them were in a similar state of agitation. I split my focus. The process of multitasking made vastly easier due to her experiences. I could have almost a hundred concurrent lines of thought running parallel, but focus suffered. Two was trivial for me. I turned my greater focus to the situation at hand.

"Please have a seat. There is much that we need to discuss and you shouldn't have to stand the entire time." Legend got up to pull out a chair solicitously. I nodded my thanks before taking the offered seat.

"Why don't we get straight to the point? How long have you been able to kill an Endbringer?" Eidolon asked politely. Alexandria's melody was slightly irritated. Oh? They must have had a plan and my weakness threw them off script. She was also concerned for my welfare, but was trying not to let that interfere. The woman looked slightly startled by something. Fascinating. So she could read my micro expressions from just the view of my jaw.

"I wasn't sure that it was possible." I briefly debated how to get out of this. The extreme reaction would be blast through the wall and fly away. That would be fun, but hardly productive. There was a certain amount of truth that I could use. I sighed. "Okay. There is an aspect of my power that until recently I was unaware of. My Blaster powers can be altered further. In a sense they're like computer programs. I can program different effects into my Songs. When I realized it was possible the potential was enormous. There was no chance to test it before it was needed." That was essentially the honest response.

"You were engaged in an unsanctioned experiment that rendered both you, and Granspear, in a comatose state." Alexandria brought up recent events. Wait.

"The experiment was sanctioned. I have it in writing from Armsmaster and Dragon, a respected PRT affiliated cape, under their oversight. However, the day of the test something went wrong. I was able to detect the faint traces of a dimensional distortion. Nothing appeared out of place and I had zero reason to believe the devices were tampered with." Keep the heat out of my voice. State it plainly. Do not try and strangle someone.

"We have no record of anything of the sort being filed." The older woman said to me.

"It's not that we don't believe you, but it is suspicious." Legend said apologetically.

"An investigation will be conducted. You're not in trouble, but it would be a great help if you told us everything." Eidolon spoke reassuringly. Heavy pressure through friendliness.

"I have a mental space that can be accessed in a REM state. Whoever tampered with my machine was clearly trying to kill me. If I could not wake up my ego border would have collapsed, dragging Granspear with me, and we would have been vegetables. I am the only one that can build this device. The testing was supposed to be secret as well." Their melodies went crazy with the revelation of the danger. Guilt warred with anger. Several more lines of thought were split off to handle the issue with Eidolon. Seventeen to be exact. I couldn't help the faintly malicious smile that crossed my lips, but covered it by taking a drink.

"That is a rather harsh accusation. You just admitted that you are the only one that could build this device. How would anyone be able to tamper with it in such a manner?" Alexandria asked coolly.

"A sufficiently skilled Tinker could do it or a Thinker. Hmmm...a powerful Thinker could make it happen..." They had a Thinker powerful or versatile enough to screw with my machine?

"Why would they want you dead?" Legend was subdued as he asked.

"That's a good question. More likely they didn't even realize just what messing with it would do." I allowed. He was clearly troubled. Eidolon was less troubled, but still feeling a sense of guilt. Alexandria was also feeling guilt, but a will of steel kept the feeling out of her voice.

"Until the investigation has been concluded we will be confiscating your machine. You are also not allowed in your lab at all. We will be taking your robot for examination as well." Alexandria informed me. Marginalizing me. She was feeling guilty, but pushing her agenda forward. I sat forward with my fingers steepled together.

"No." My total confidence as I shot them down took the three off guard.

"Excuse me? This is not a request." Alexandria rebutted. I stared right at her.

"You will not push me around. I can hear your melodies and they're very chatty. You might have experience schooling your expressions and eliminating traces of your true emotion. I don't need micro expressions and body language. You're feeling very guilty right now. Now you're angry and feeling defensive." I kept my voice calm and cool. In the back of my mind I readied 2Fast4U just in case the balloon went up.

"It's not just advanced emotion reading. Your ability gives a sense of other people's thoughts." Alexandria's voice was tight with suppressed anger.

"What are you going to do with this knowledge?" Eidolon's voice was even.

"I'm going to explain a few things to you. Call it being helpful. I'm willing to lay some cards on the table as long as you stop bullshitting me. You know who fucked with my machine. You had the record of the test removed. You figured I would be groggy, emotionally disoriented, and easy to push around. Sorry, but my mind is literally the best super computer you will ever see in this lifetime or the next. The lock you put on my armor? I already disabled it. Yes, I noticed it. No, I don't give a shit." I informed them easily.

"What is it you want to explain?" Legend asked while holding up a quelling hand to his friends. All three were emotionally off balance and unsure how to bring this back around.

"For one? There weren't three Endbringers. There were twenty." You could hear a pin drop in the dead silence that reigned. "At ease. Behemoth and the Simurgh were deactivated. The remaining seventeen were also deactivated." I smirked. "By me."

"How did you do that...?" Alexandria asked faintly.

"I subverted the links they had to their controller and shut them down. Their metaphysical cores each contained power equivalent to a spiral galaxy. I wish that was hyperbole." Later I was going to have to sit down and figure out just what the hell I was going to do with all this power.

"Who was the controller?" Eidolon asked. Oh wow. He really can change his power set on the fly. I could actually feel him brushing at my melody. A Thinker power to simulate my own? I opened my expression and dropped my guarded posture.

"You. It wasn't under your conscious control." The three looked at one another and I could see the proof of their friendship. They would be comforting him later. Their reaction was strange in a way. They almost seemed like they expected a different answer.

"What is to keep the Endbringers from activating on their own?" Alexandria asked. Well that explained why they didn't seem that reassured.

"I've stolen their power cores." I admitted. Lisa just prodded me to shut up. Okay so sometimes I'm guilty of the same thing she is and that's trying to prove I'm the smartest person in the room. Smartest, but lacking common sense. At least I didn't tell them I was technically an alien from another physical dimension dominated by waveform physics.

"What does THAT mean?" Legend asked and if his voice was an octave higher I ignored it.

"I connected their cores to my own Seed...Shard...uh...passenger?" I kept throwing out terms hoping they understood what I was talking about. POKE POKE POKE. Sorry Lisa.

"You can control that...and you've given yourself the equivalent power...of nineteen spiral galaxies..." Eidolon abruptly grabbed Alexandria's arm before she could continue.

"We will get back to you. You have been most forthcoming and I am sorry for the adversarial nature of this meeting. Please have a nice day and don't worry about your lab. You're free to do as you will." Alexandria informed me politely. Of course I'm free to do as I will. POKE. Despedia! Really? I shook their hands before taking my leave. Dammit I could see my family throwing up their hands in disbelief. I really can't blame them. Cocona, Granspear, was in the hallway waiting for me.

"You're still too tired. You probably can't tell, but your thoughts are sluggish." She explained.

"What? How was I able to do any of the things that needed doing?" I asked her.

"Anything not involved with interacting with people is essentially automated. We could see the difference over the chat channel." Cocona murmured. I groaned.

"No wonder I spilled the beans so badly. I thought I was being smart and cagey." I didn't notice it, but that only means my perceptions are more compromised than I realized.

"Let's just get you home and into bed." She guided me back to my lab to leave the armor behind. By the time we did that, and got me out to my dad's truck, I was halfway asleep again. My eyes closed and I knew no more.

-A Different Conference Room-

The three heroes of the Triumvirate sat at the table in uneasy silence. Aria's revelations weighed on their minds. They sat across from a woman in a fedora and suit. Another woman sat nearby wearing a lab coat. The last member at the table was a plain man with a briefcase on the table before him. They had been assembled for the express goal of saving Earth. All of the Earths. Their enemy was a being of tremendous power that could wipe out the entire multiversal sector at any time. The woman in the fedora was the key to their victory, but also the unwitting architect of this latest debacle. The trio of capes had just finished giving their report.

"Was that the intended result?" The woman in the lab coat, Doctor Mother, asked Fortuna.

"Mapping her with my power only works roughly half of the time. I knew that once she went through with the ordeal her power would be greater. It was unclear how that would happen, but that it was the optimal result." Fortuna, also known as Contessa, explained.

"It apparently gave her the ability to take the cores of Endbringers for herself. How do we know that she won't become a greater threat than what we are facing?" Doctor Mother asked.

"She won't be a threat unless we make her into one. Even then she would only be a threat to us. The only way that we would provoke her is if we go after her family. Since none of us plan on doing that we're safe." Contessa told them. She didn't have to voice her displeasure of the high handed tactics employed because they were doing a wonderful job of punishing themselves.

"Tell her nothing of our operations. We will continue to do our work, but do not interfere with her anymore." Doctor Mother finally spoke up after several minutes of silent debate.

"So we give her free reign to do as she pleases?" Alexandria asked curiously.

"Considering her goals include destroying the Endbringers then I see no problem." Legend shrugged.

"I have an idea. How about we leave information about Zion for her to find? At this point she's the best chance any of us have of defeating him." Eidolon pointed out reasonably, but there was a faint air of dissatisfaction. Cauldron had been grooming him to eventually defeat the Golden Warrior, but his power had been on a decline. What he hadn't told them yet was that it appeared more power had been made available to him. Three more slots. Before he could fill three slots with powers, but now there were six altogether. It certainly gave credence to the belief that the Endbringers had been connected to him. Strangely enough, Contessa was gazing at him sympathetically. Her power couldn't see him, but somehow she still knew.

"That's a good idea, Eidolon. Let Aria find the gynoid that Ziz was using." Doctor Mother agreed with the plan. That way she would find out about the true nature of Scion, or Zion, with no connection to Cauldron. They would do what had to be done in the dark. Someone would have to be a beacon of hope in the future. They knew that it couldn't be them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back