Hidden In the Leaves Redux (Naruto Quest)

http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=Y2Al0dvFsD0#Hokage_-_Naruto_OST_3

^ Suggested listening.

"SHIMURA SHINDA AND UCHIHA SASUKE!"

The next match pitted two friends against one another. There was a feeling of tension in the air, an indecipherable level of bated desire. Shinda let none of it reach him. He had watched the madness, the 'Curse of Hate' that the archives had spoken of, consume the man he would have been proud to call brother. And thanks to other bonds he had formed as a Genin... He knew how he would break Sasuke out of his insanity. Or die trying.

The two walked into the arena, slowly sizing one another up. Two weeks, four days, and twenty hours since the last time there had been a friendly spar between them. Sasuke looked pale, pained. Shinda frowned at that, but readied himself none the less. The scroll laid at his feet. The moment was primed, but he wanted to show something to his erstwhile brother.

Tiger → Snake → Ram → Boar → Horse...

TIGER!

Moving with synchronized, perfect motions, no hesitation, no fear, just smooth habit, the two young men faced one another as the fires of courage and war filled them. And then breathed out those same fires. Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu...

Fire Release: Great Fireball Technique

A Jutsu both young men shared. A Jutsu both young men understood. A Jutsu that put both on even ground. A rite of passage, a sign of maturity... A tool. Another weapon in the arsenal to kill the man who haunted the nightmares of one. All the love, all the passion of the flame, snuffed out, given cold singular purpose by the Uchiha. A Will of Fire snuffed out. It would have brought tears to the eye of the one who died for them all.

Shinda had studied texts he was forbidden by the Third's law. It was partly that sacrifice that drove him to do this. Uchiha Sasuka was not Shinda's brother by blood, but the fire that burned inside of Shinda, the passion that was inherent to those who defend what they love.

It should have been a younger blonde man sitting there. The young blonde cheering both his friends on should have had a father. Shinda frowned behind the fire. It had been minutes now, the two of them taxing themselves. And then they both cut off the flow, knowing the other was at their limit. And Sasuke became an explosion of motion as Shinda slammed his hand down.

Sasuke's roundhouse kick landed in Shinda's ribs... but Shinda's puppet had him, and began to squeeze. "Sasuke..." The young man stared at the one consumed in darkness, tears brought on not by pain, but by fear for a friend. "Sasuke, it does not have to be alone."

He snarled, consumed by a madness, and an anger he could feel coming not only from within, but from without.

"Sasuke, let me help you. You're my brother. When you were lost in a haze of depression, you came over for dinner, you stayed with us for that first week. You have friends." Shinda jerked his head up to the stands. Two blondes and a pinkette cheered.

"Come on Sasuke! You can break that hold!"

"They're cheering for you Sasuke, not me. It is your story. But I want to be there so we can toast to justice. Not vengeance." Shinda felt the puppet tightening it's grip. Sasuke snarled again, and dropped out, but was caught by the second puppet sitting on him. "And it will be more than just me. You have loyal friends. People who want you to be happy. People who love you."

Looking past the trio cheering for Sasuke, Shinda and the red eyed avenger briefly saw the approving nod from a man garbed in white and red.

Tiger → Snake → Ram → Boar → Horse → Tiger

The second fireball caught Shinda full in the chest, but he rolled with it, tossing off his coat, and answering with a Suiton he learned.

It became a game of high speed tag. Katon answered by Suiton, both running from low Chakra, into nearly none, Shinda refusing to commit to melee, and being denied the chance to bring his puppets into play again. Two friends who knew each other far to well.

Something had to give. Sadly, it was Shinda who had to push, his own stamina and chakra being taxed more than the Uchiha... More than Sasuke. Shinda refused to fall into the trap that Tobirama fell into. He wanted to embody the spirit of Hashirama, not Tobirama, not isolate, and mistrust the family that contributed to Konoha.

Sasuke tackled Shinda just as the puppet tackled Sasuke. "Is this what you want, Sasuke?" The squeezing hurt like hell. "To die fighting me like you would Itachi? Is that all this is to you!" Shinda's shirt was wet... He was...?

"I want my family back."

"We never left you Sasuke..."

Shinda managed to free an arm, the death grip having been misinterpreted. "I concede. He has me."

"Winner! Uchiha Sasuke!"

The smoke and dust kicked up gave the young men time to hide emotions unbecoming Shinobi.

But the smile, faint, but recognizable? Was plastered on both their faces.

A blonde man approved.

I am way out of practice at writing.

Last edited:
[X] Kiba Inuzuka

Frankly, Kiba and Shino are the two who will best match our puppet abilities, I'm choosing Kiba because I can totally see their personalities grinding against each other in a Vitriolic Best Buds kinda way. Almost like a less dysfunctional version of Sasuke and Naruto.

Ninja Edit: Damnit Seru, almost made me change my vote with the feels...

I wanted it to embody the conflict that was always hinted at with Sasuke. That he was consumed in the Curse of Hatred and the Will of Fire.

Madara experienced both, and Sasuke is his reincarnation, as Madara and he are both linked to Indra. (From my understanding.)

The next match pitted two friends against one another. There was a feeling of tension in the air, an indecipherable level of bated desire. Shinda let none of it reach him. He had watched the madness, the 'Curse of Hate' that the archives had spoken of, consume the man he would have been proud to call brother. And thanks to other bonds he had formed as a Genin... He knew how he would break Sasuke out of his insanity. Or die trying.

The two walked into the arena, slowly sizing one another up. Two weeks, four days, and twenty hours since the last time there had been a friendly spar between them. Sasuke looked pale, pained. Shinda frowned at that, but readied himself none the less. The scroll laid at his feet. The moment was primed, but he wanted to show something to his erstwhile brother.

TIGER!

Moving with synchronized, perfect motions, no hesitation, no fear, just smooth habit, the two young men faced one another as the fires of courage and war filled them. And then breathed out those same fires. Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu...

A Jutsu both young men shared. A Jutsu both young men understood. A Jutsu that put both on even ground. A rite of passage, a sign of maturity... A tool. Another weapon in the arsenal to kill the man who haunted the nightmares of one. All the love, all the passion of the flame, snuffed out, given cold singular purpose by the Uchiha. A Will of Fire snuffed out. It would have brought tears to the eye of the one who died for them all.

Shinda had studied texts he was forbidden by the Third's law. It was partly that sacrifice that drove him to do this. Uchiha Sasuka was not Shinda's brother by blood, but the fire that burned inside of Shinda, the passion that was inherent to those who defend what they love.

It should have been a younger blonde man sitting there. The young blonde cheering both his friends on should have had a father. Shinda frowned behind the fire. It had been minutes now, the two of them taxing themselves. And then they both cut off the flow, knowing the other was at their limit. And Sasuke became an explosion of motion as Shinda slammed his hand down.

Sasuke's roundhouse kick landed in Shinda's ribs... but Shinda's puppet had him, and began to squeeze. "Sasuke..." The young man stared at the one consumed in darkness, tears brought on not by pain, but by fear for a friend. "Sasuke, it does not have to be alone."

He snarled, consumed by a madness, and an anger he could feel coming not only from within, but from without.

"Sasuke, let me help you. You're my brother. When you were lost in a haze of depression, you came over for dinner, you stayed with us for that first week. You have friends." Shinda jerked his head up to the stands. Two blondes and a pinkette cheered.

"They're cheering for you Sasuke, not me. It is your story. But I want to be there so we can toast to justice. Not vengeance." Shinda felt the puppet tightening it's grip. Sasuke snarled again, and dropped out, but was caught by the second puppet sitting on him. "And it will be more than just me. You have loyal friends. People who want you to be happy. People who love you."

Looking past the trio cheering for Sasuke, Shinda and the red eyed avenger briefly saw the approving nod from a man garbed in white and red.

The second fireball caught Shinda full in the chest, but he rolled with it, tossing off his coat, and answering with a Suiton he learned.

It became a game of high speed tag. Katon answered by Suiton, both running from low Chakra, into nearly none, Shinda refusing to commit to melee, and being denied the chance to bring his puppets into play again. Two friends who knew each other far to well.

Something had to give. Sadly, it was Shinda who had to push, his own stamina and chakra being taxed more than the Uchiha... More than Sasuke. Shinda refused to fall into the trap that Tobirama fell into. He wanted to embody the spirit of Hashirama, not Tobirama, not isolate, and mistrust the family that contributed to Konoha.

Sasuke tackled Shinda just as the puppet tackled Sasuke. "Is this what you want, Sasuke?" The squeezing hurt like hell. "To die fighting me like you would Itachi? Is that all this is to you!" Shinda's shirt was wet... He was...?

"I want my family back."

Shinda managed to free an arm, the death grip having been misinterpreted. "I concede. He has me."

"Winner! Uchiha Sasuke!"

The smoke and dust kicked up gave the young men time to hide emotions unbecoming Shinobi.

A blonde man approved.

You deserve this.

Kekeke. I try my best. It helps that I adore Hashirama, and that is basically his philosophy >.>

http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=Y2Al0dvFsD0#Hokage_-_Naruto_OST_3

^ Suggested listening.

TIGER!

"I want my family back."

"Winner! Uchiha Sasuke!"

A blonde man approved.

Why the hell can I give you only one Like?!?!?

[X] Kiba Inuzuka

Frankly, Kiba and Shino are the two who will best match our puppet abilities, I'm choosing Kiba because I can totally see their personalities grinding against each other in a Vitriolic Best Buds kinda way. Almost like a less dysfunctional version of Sasuke and Naruto.

Ninja Edit: Damnit Seru, almost made me change my vote with the feels...
Note that this doesn't affect who your on a team with.

[X] Sasuke Uchiha

Lets break the emo shall we.

Agreed. Here's how I see it:
Naruto's a mouth-breathing dumbass who manages to become just kind of stupid, but goes right back to full retard whenever Sasuke's involved.
Sasuke's an emo (the fact that it's totally justified doesn't change that, don't act like it does) who seems like he's getting better, then becomes a full-on psychopathic moron and stays that way for 90% of the series.
Solving the latter problem is much more of a net gain for all involved, and will help with the former problem anyway.

[X] Kiba Inuzuka
based on our puppets this would seme the logical option either for our best friend or greatest rival

Yeah, he really doesn't bring much to the table as he ain't really that strong.

Exactly. In fact, let's take a look at his win/loss record (not counting filler because filler sucks):

Chuunin Exams: Loses to Naruto in the prelims. Granted, Naruto wins purely by luck (farting while Kiba is very downwind of him, if you know what I mean), but Naruto was also very tired from a far more eventful 2nd Exam than anyone else had and was affected by the Five Elements Seal Orochimaru stuck on him.
Sasuke Retrieval Mission: Loses to Sakon and Ukon and needs to be bailed out by Kankuro. Now, I actually really liked this fight, so in Kiba's defense: he was fighting two enemies (though Kiba himself would count Akamaru, making it 2v2) whose bullsh*t ability stacked the deck even harder against him than the other Sound Four fights, Sakon & Ukon were probably the strongest members of the Sound Four (Kimimaro doesn't count), and he did cause them both serious damage before needing a save.
Itachi Pursuit Mission: Didn't fight, only contribution was picking up Itachi's trail again (admittedly a very important contribution, but one pretty much any Inuzuka could have done in his place).
Eight Man Squad vs. Tobi: Didn't land a single hit (then again, no one else did and Tobi is bullsh*t).
Pain's Assault: Fights the Preta Path with his mother and chases it off (mostly because it's the Path of Pain they're most suited to fighting), then gets taken out by the same Shinra Tensei that wipes out most of the village, though he survives with heavy injuries.
Five Kage Arc: Easily taken down and knocked out by Sai along with Lee (and it wasn't even a surprise attack).
Fourth Shinobi World War: Beats up a bunch of White Zetsu (just like everyone else with a name) and did nothing else of note despite constantly talking big about how they'd make him Hokage after this.
Obito/Madara Fight: Everyone he does from here on out is pretty much entirely thanks to Naruto jacking him and all the other Konoha 11 up with Kurama's chakra.

So... not a single win against non-mook opponents outside of filler.

Last edited:
Back