Hard Enough - Pokemon SI

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
You can't make fool proof rules.
So you don't try, instead you cultivate a culture of responsibility and proper conduct among the refs, and give them rules with enough latitude so they can make judgement calls.
Like banning unsportsmanlike conduct, endangering your opponent, interfering with the opposing trainer, stuff like that.

It's about a 99% chance that's where the story's going.

There's kind of a shape to this, when a story like this introduces a character in an antagonistic position. The story will feature a series of moments along the way that you can read to figure out how you're intended to feel about a particular character.

For example, when the upcoming fight was with Lance, you were presented with a series of scenes with Lance. He was sent back to his clan in Johto, where they specifically chided him about his actions and talked down to him about picking a fight with Brock; this is a scene intended to make it clear that this was specifically a fuck-up on Lance's part, and evoked a little sympathy for him. He then proceeded to have several moments throughout his fight where he engaged in the same kind of excitement in battle as Brock did, engaged in the same manner of fighting as Brock did, and lost graciously.

All up, this is intended to evoke a situation in which the reader feels great about Brock overcoming Lance, but leaves Lance in a situation where the reader likes him in the losing position and wants to see him better himself after that.

The opposite is true with Will. He's been presented in a purely antagonistic manner so far, with actions practically designed to remove any desire to sympathize with him; it's strongly implied that he was the one targeting Forrest when he got arrested, he's the one who mind-whammied Brock's lawyer, he's tied with Team Rocket, etc, etc.

Now, in the fight, actions are being set up specifically to make you feel antagonized towards Will again. The story is continuing to hammer home the point that everyone dislikes his actions, and the story goes out of its way to condemn his tactics with Trick Room, etc, despite noting that they're valid tactics within the rules as they stand. Sympathetic characters are given the spotlight to talk down on Will's actions; the entire cut-away section to Gary is there to give the perspective from other characters that it's not just Brock who dislikes Will's tactics.

It's extremely likely that the fight's going to end either with Will being found to be cheating so that Brock wins the match and gets to rub it into Will's face while Will is publicly humiliated, or else that the match is going to be cancelled due to some kind of a technicality and no victor will actually be announced.

There's a bit of a chance that this segment will end with an attempt to make Will sympathetic by playing into his plight as a Psychic-type trainer who's being used by the people around him, but I don't rate that chance very highly.

To be somewhat frank, Hard Enough isn't exactly a story that's particularly interested in having Brock ever actually legitimately lose a fight without coming out ahead regardless (outside of Gym battles where the point isn't for him to win), so I wouldn't walk into this expecting Will to legitimately pull out a win or come out of this with an overly sympathetic depiction.

It's kind of a shame, because I agree- Will's by far the most interesting opponent to be faced in the entire fic, and it's fun to see a trainer whose underlying strategy isn't just 'have really powerful Pokemon use funny combinations of moves'. He's fighting dirty and using tactics that Brock can't easily counter, and in a story that was interested in having its protagonist actually be challenged, he'd be the perfect kind of opponent to throw up against Brock. There's a lot of lessons Brock could take away from the fight that could make for interesting stuff being brought up in future.

It's also just interesting to see a legitimately skilled trainer with a complex strategy and set of moves that doesn't immediately move to become one of Brock's friends. It would be good to see that there's an entire ecosystem of powerful trainers outside of the protagonist's viewpoint that will totally just see him as an obstacle to overcome because they don't care about him from their point of view.

But by far the most likely result is that Will's just going to be caught out for cheating and it's going to be explained that Brock definitely would have won on his own merits if it weren't for Will's underhanded tactics.
Beautiful story analysis.

I do want to disagree with the idea of Brock losing just to lose, or to make him seem like not the center of the universe or whatever. I didn't come here for a "realistic" "hey you're not important" story. I came here for enjoying the fantasy of the Pokemon world being fun and awesome and kindness and good winning the day and being able to reach your dreams, no matter what they are

You wanna know why I don't think Will is using a Xatu to help him cheat? Because Sabrina would've detected it! Unless that Xatu is a much higher level Psychic than Sabrina, I don't see how it can completely evade her senses while also doing seemingly impossible techniques right in front of her. So, I, in fact, do think Mewtwo is helping Will cheat, as it's Psychic powers are, quite literally, legendary, so I have no doubt they're undetectable unless she knows where to look. Not to discount the Xatu theory, that would be really cool and make more sense, but since Sabrina is there observing the match, I have to take the more logical approach; Will is a weaker Psychic than Sabrina, so he's getting help from a stronger Psychic than Sabrina.

Also, I think both Will and Brock will lose this battle in one way or another. Doesn't really matter what the outcome is, because in the end it will be a tie between the two of them. A tie would make them look "equal" in power, but would also leave the battle at an uneasy finish, with nothing truly decided. A bitter outcome for Will and Brock supporters.

Last edited:
Also, yes, there is nothing for Brock to learn from loosing this battle.
Except maybe "blatantly cheating works", or possibly "universe hates you, personally."
How about "victory at any cost is not worth it"?

Here's how I imagine it could go:
Brock's friends find and stop the seventh pokemon, but by that point Brock is already down by enough that he ultimately loses. There is a lot of discontent in the arena, but Will points out (correctly (and smugly)) that they have no proof of any cheating. He faces either no official sanction, or just a slap on the wrist for unsportsmanlike behavior.

The public however is outraged, coupled with his low behavior in the ring and the suspicious occurrences during the match, everyone and their grandmother fully believes he cheated. His hopes of joining the Elite 4 dies, because that's a position that requires more than just points on a leaderboard. It requires strength of character and leadership as well, so Lance tells him to take a hike. Major Johnathan's career likewise nosedives by association.

Ultimately Will's wider goal would have been better served by a good loss, than a dirty victory.

Optional addition: Brock tries to go for a Hail Mary play by mega evolving Jorm before they're ready. It fails and he loses. This feeds into the point of it sometimes being better to lose with grace than win at any cost.

Last edited:
Will is here to serve a similar role that Lance did way back at the start of the story - he's forcing Brock to shake up his routine and actually advance.

For 3 years Brock was a gym leader with only two employees. He was considered a good gym leader by those in the know but he wasn't well known outside of Pewter to the point where Lance thought the gym was essentially the same as when Forrest was running it. After beating Lance Brock didn't need to change anything, he was in a stable position and had just definitively proven his strength. But instead of resting on his laurels he realised he wanted to do more.

He expanded the gym's staff, hired a breeder so he could get more fossils and took steps to actually become a public figure. He also got involved with the Guardians because of Lance and afterwards wound up meeting future gym leaders and getting involved in politics because suddenly everyone knew his name.

One thing he never took too seriously though was Ace battles or the in universe competitive scene. Most of the time he faces Ace Challenges with whatever team he feels like using, picked from whichever of his best are available. Before he beat Lance he never used his water types like Tide, Hypnotoad and Shrek in battle, despite them being among his best. Admittedly he wasn't planning to treat Will like just another Ace, but I'm cou8nting Will's extended scouting and his involvement with Pewter's as part of the whole thing.

Win or lose Will has already forced Brock out of his routine and to start taking politics and Ace battles seriously. Will + Moltres is a double whammy that's probably going to force Brock to expand his Elites so he has a deeper bench for this sort of scenario. SImilarly Mewtwo's beat down of Koga and Agatha is going to force them to change how they do things - rely on the younger uninjured trainers for a bit and generally take Giovanni seriously.

Maybe Brock doesn't have nything to learn from losing this battle, but he's already elarned a lot form ebing forced into it in the first place. And I'm pretty sure that's half the point, with the other half being to introduce an antagonist Brock can focus on while gearing up to try and take on Giovanni and Mewtwo someday.

Do you think this Brock does not already know that?
I don't think it's come up?

And Brock definitely hasn't considered any other option for dealing with Will, other than beating him in battle, despite knowing for a long while now that Will was both gunning for him and willing to play dirty.

Edit:
He's also recently getting involved in fights with legendaries. Getting into the mindset of being able to win without fighting is very applicable to that. Especially Mewtwo.

Last edited:
I don't think it's come up?

And Brock definitely hasn't considered any other option for dealing with Will, other than beating him in battle, despite knowing for a long while now that Will was both gunning for him and willing to play dirty.
Facing Will in battle, is literally his job.
How else should he have dealt with Will?
Called the cops? Killed him in his sleep? Just denied his elite challenge?

Facing Will in battle, is literally his job.
How else should he have dealt with Will?
Called the cops? Killed him in his sleep? Just denied his elite challenge?
He could have used his media and social media presence to put pressure on him in regards to sus activities.
He could have used the Moltres battle and the natural disaster relief as cover to postpone this match, both to have his full team available, and to throw off Will and Jonathan's timing.

Will started fighting long before this match started, Brock could have respected the threat and done the same.

He could have used his media and social media presence to put pressure on him in regards to sus activities.
He could have used the Moltres battle and the natural disaster relief as cover to postpone this match, both to have his full team available, and to throw off Will and Jonathan's timing.

Will started fighting long before this match started, Brock could have respected the threat and done the same.
Sure, start accusing an opponent of cheating before a fight has even started, surely that is going to stop Will.
Moltres battle could have worked, but, again, this is his job, if he felt that he still had a good team left, waiting longer would have been just shirking his duties.
Also, the expected recovery time was months, that's a long time to delay when you don'tthink you need to.

Delaying is a double edged sword though because of Will studying him sure the surge would eff a bit and he'd get the 5 or so injured back on his roster but he also would be unlikely to still have Gawain as a secret and who knows what else Will would try. Given his personality and tactics I'm also fairly sure Will would have publicly thrown shade at Brock for it plus gotten deeper into Team Rocket's assistance which may even have had him gain a rare or from Sinnoh elite pokemon such as Bronzong or Metagross which are both Steel types with Bronzong also having levitate as an ability giving immunity to ground moves.

Sure, start accusing an opponent of cheating before a fight has even started, surely that is going to stop Will.
Moltres battle could have worked, but, again, this is his job, if he felt that he still had a good team left, waiting longer would have been just shirking his duties.
Also, the expected recovery time was months, that's a long time to delay when you don'tthink you need to.
If your opponent is clearly using underhanded means to advantage themself what are your options? You can let them have the advantage and risk losing. You can do underhanded things yourself and risk your reputation. Or you can drag it into the light and make them think twice about the costs of poor sportsmanship.

I'm not talking about accusing him of cheating straight up, but harming his rep.

For example, Brock ultimately let the ringers Will was using to scout out his anti-psychic tactics pass without comment. He could have made sure that the match-watching public and media took notice through either subtle or open means.
That wouldn't result in any penalties for Will since it's not against any rules, but it would have turned the mood against him because it is unsportsmanlike.

Delaying is a double edged sword though because of Will studying him sure the surge would eff a bit and he'd get the 5 or so injured back on his roster but he also would be unlikely to still have Gawain as a secret and who knows what else Will would try. Given his personality and tactics I'm also fairly sure Will would have publicly thrown shade at Brock for it plus gotten deeper into Team Rocket's assistance which may even have had him gain a rare or from Sinnoh elite pokemon such as Bronzong or Metagross which are both Steel types with Bronzong also having levitate as an ability giving immunity to ground moves.
Yes, but Will is planning a campaign beyond Brock himself to take himself to the Elite 4. He's also allying himself with local political figures like the Pewter major. Throwing off their timetables for that could be worthwile for the wider picture.
IMO, the backlash on Brock would have been minimal. "I just went 12 rounds with Moltress" covers a multitude of sins.
If your eyes are on the big picture of not letting Will become one of your nation's leading figures letting him dig himself deeper into shadyness isn't a bad thing. Beating him in one battle does nothing. As evidenced by Lance, you don't need to be literally unbeatable to have the top positions. Exposing him as untrustworthy would do more to keep him out.

If your opponent is clearly using underhanded means to advantage themself what are your options? You can let them have the advantage and risk losing. You can do underhanded things yourself and risk your reputation. Or you can drag it into the light and make them think twice about the costs of poor sportsmanship.

I'm not talking about accusing him of cheating straight up, but harming his rep.

For example, Brock ultimately let the ringers Will was using to scout out his anti-psychic tactics pass without comment. He could have made sure that the match-watching public and media took notice through either subtle or open means.
That wouldn't result in any penalties for Will since it's not against any rules, but it would have turned the mood against him because it is unsportsmanlike.
So make accusations that you can't prove, and hope for the best?
And it is quite obvious that it would not have worked, Will obviously does not give a shit about looking like a shady cheating asshole.

So make accusations that you can't prove, and hope for the best?
And it is quite obvious that it would not have worked, Will obviously does not give a shit about looking like a shady cheating asshole.
I'll be honest I don't think we'll get anywhere continuing this conversation. Suffice it to say, we disagree and leave it.

Yes, but Will is planning a campaign beyond Brock himself to take himself to the Elite 4. He's also allying himself with local political figures like the Pewter major. Throwing off their timetables for that could be worthwile for the wider picture.
IMO, the backlash on Brock would have been minimal. "I just went 12 rounds with Moltress" covers a multitude of sins.
If your eyes are on the big picture of not letting Will become one of your nation's leading figures letting him dig himself deeper into shadyness isn't a bad thing. Beating him in one battle does nothing. As evidenced by Lance, you don't need to be literally unbeatable to have the top positions. Exposing him as untrustworthy would do more to keep him out.

They are keeping quiet that it was a Moltres though and saying it was general unrest in the Silver region so the public doesn't know that. There's also a difference between Lance and Will in that Lance is already champion and that one defeat didn't unseat him because Brock didn't want to become champion but it was pretty much said he could have had he wanted to especially with the closely followed screw ups Lance's administration had.

Will though is trying to build up the credibility and support to gain the elite 4 position so anything harmful to either is much more significant so losing to Brock here will end his run especially since Karen is also trying for a position and managed a better showing against Steven without such unpopular cheap shots.

Ultimately though as I said waiting would have been a doubled edged sword that comes with downsides so a case could be made for either being better.

I see no evidence that Brock is somehow needing to learn a lesson here.
Should he have delayed? Probably.
Was it unreasonable for him not to? I don't think so.
Delay would just given Will more time to prepare, and made the fight an even bigger event.
Brock made a judgement call that he was ready, and i think he was not wrong, because i think the level of blatant BS Will is throwing here is utterly unreasonable.
Any PR campaign against him without pre existing evidence would have either made Brock seem afraid, or at best made people see Will as scummy, which he obviously does not give a shit about.
And if this is the level he is willing to get to on live TV, i would not put it past him to go for straight up sabotage with Team Rocket's resources, so better to not bother giving him any time for that.

Now, it is possible that Brock could have just pushed the police station situation and gotten rid of Will that way.
But then Will would be free to brag about how Brock was too afraid to face him in the arena.

And that has happened already, you know, with a portion of his Elite team taken out of commission meaning he can't use them for this match? That is a legitimate setback. In case that wasn't obvious.

I don't think it's so much Brock "needing to learn a lesson" so much as Brock needs (from a narrative perspective, if nothing else) to experience some adversity which results in legitimate setbacks.
That's already happened with the Moltres burning him and taking around 5 of his elites out of the running. If you want other examples the thing Will and the mayor pulled meant Forrest had to go off on his journey sure it had advantages but it also made things a bit more hectic for him. Arguably there's also some of the team rocket atks due to having to tip his hand on things like his defence measures and having Shrek around and the fact they got that spy in.

And that has happened already, you know, with a portion of his Elite team taken out of commission meaning he can't use them for this match? That is a legitimate setback. In case that wasn't obvious.
That's a legitimate setback if it actually sets him back. That's contingent on that actually causing a negative outcome in the fight, while this whole discussion is predicated around people not believing that the fight's actually going to result in a negative outcome. The general belief is that Brock is likely going to win regardless, or if he loses it's going to be because Will was cheating, not because Brock's Pokemon weren't up to the task.

Legitimate setbacks are things that actually impair you going forwards, or cause you significant troubles or hassles. Examples of this might include Pokemon being out of commission that cause Brock to lose matches he might otherwise have won; or it might include having to publicly lose a little face when backing out of or delaying a match; or it might include something that causes long-term negative effects, like traumatic nightmares on someone's part or a significant injury that permanently impacts someone's quality of life.

Losing out on Pokemon for a coming fight that you win anyway isn't particularly a legitimate setback. It barely registers on the scale for anything. It might matter if the protagonist is often portrayed as struggling and there's a sincere sense on the audience's part that this might result in a loss for the protagonist, but uh- I don't think anyone's sincerely expecting that to lead to a loss for Brock here.

But let me tangent from this to lay out something that people have been trying to get at in a lot more words than they're willing to use on the topic.

That is:

Brock's barely faced a challenge through the entire story, and most of the challenges he has faced have resulted in no significant problems for him. In fact, many of the things he's encountered that should have been challenges in fact ended up benefiting him.

When people say that Brock needs to experience some adversity, what they mean by that is that they're hoping that Brock faces some challenges that he actually gets stymied by, and don't just end up resulting in solving other problems for him or making him seem cooler in the aftermath.

I hesitate to use certain words like "wank" because they have a negative association that I think will lead people to dismiss what I'm saying for attacking the fic without considering the broader things I'm saying, so let's see.

One of the problems that lead a lot of people to dismiss things like isekai anime and 'litRPG' anime (the Dragon Quest-adjacent kind of anime) is that they tend to load up the protagonist with powers to the extent that the story starts to feel like it has no tension. The protagonist might get in over their head, but the viewer never believes that they're actually in danger; a part of the viewer is aware that the story is never going to have the protagonist actually be at risk.

They're not going to die, or take a serious injury, or lose someone close to them, or fail a goal in such a way that it's permanently failed; they're going to get a new power-up that allows them to take on the threat and win next time, and the only question is whether that's going to happen in the middle of this fight, or if they're going to take a plot-mandated loss and then have a small arc dedicated to how they get a new power that lets them overcome this threat.

Thus, there's no tension to the story. Threats are introduced and built up, problems are stated to be occurring, but there's no audience buy-in. The audience never believes that this threat is actually going to manifest and cause the protagonist material problems that they don't instantly overcome.

That is a bad thing, regardless of how much one personally might feel satisfied by it, because it means that there's entire swathes of things that can't be done there. For instance; the idea of catharsis is that it's a release of tension that has been building for a length of time. If people don't buy in to the idea that the protagonist is in danger, then when the protagonist overcomes that threat, there's no moment of catharsis for the viewer. There's instead a placid feeling of "The predictable outcome happened".

That's just one example of things that can't be done if there's no audience buy-in on tension and challenge in the story. It's not the only thing that can't happen.

Wrapping this back around, we can see how this applies to Hard Enough. People have lost that buy-in; they don't believe that Brock is actually going to face any significant loss or problems.

This applies to the Will fight, but more broadly, it applies to the entire story. There's no tension regarding Legendaries, because when a Legendary showed up and actively threatened Brock, Brock was able to fight it back. There were injuries on his team, but there's no buy-in to the idea that this is going to cause him significant problems; he's got so many options and he's generally been presented as overcoming every challenger in such a way that people don't believe he's going to lose.

Draw back to Forrest. There was a minor thread of tension with regards to Brock expecting Forrest to take over for the Gym for him, but this didn't result in anything people consider to be significant problems or setbacks. There was no big fight with Forrest as that tension came to a climax; there were no harsh words exchanged as a result of expectations Forrest wasn't interested in matching up to being placed on his shoulders; there's no significant troubles being caused for the Gym as a result of Brock no longer having a direct successor lined up; etc.

Instead, Forrest simply took over Brock's spot on Ash's team, and in so doing solved a secondary source of tension in the fic, that being whether Brock was going to disappear and join Ash's team to fulfil his canon role. That first tension not only didn't come to roost to cause any significant problems, it also solved another problem that had been presented (yet hadn't caused any issues to date).

In the interest of absolute fairness, it's possible that the Team Rocket plotline or the only-kind-of-resolved plotline with Flint may yet cause further issues in the story. It's possible, although frankly, I doubt it; the presentation of both has so far not really caused me to believe that they're actually going to cause Brock himself significant personal challenges.

Even if they do, though- Hard Enough is currently over 800,000 words long. That's longer than some entire fantasy series; it's longer than all of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion put together. In a few chapters, Hard Enough will be as long as the first six books of the Harry Potter series combined. It's longer than Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series put together. It's nearly as long as any two books in A Song of Ice and Fire put together- and I only have to qualify that with 'nearly' because books 3 and 5 of that series are inordinately long in comparison. Hard Enough will still be long enough to drop the qualifier in another ten chapters.

One would generally expect the protagonist of a work to have faced more than a couple of major challenges or setbacks over the course of a work that long.

All this to say:

When people say that they hope that Brock loses here and has to learn some lessons from this fight, they're not necessarily talking about Will himself. They're talking about the story's overall trend towards not having Brock suffer substantial losses or challenges throughout the story.

Will himself is putting up enough of a showing through the chapter that people want to root for him to win because, for the first time in a very long time, it would actually be believable for Brock to straight-up take a loss here. He might be a personally bad person, he might be using dirty tactics, he might be exploiting loopholes in the rules that will soon be patched- but he's pressing Brock, and Brock is on the back foot, and that means that for the first time in a very long time in the story, Brock feels like he's actually on the back foot.

The story has a bit of tension in it now. People are having that buy-in thanks to Will.

And then people are noticing all of the hints that Will is cheating, and that buy-in is disappearing again; that's instantly making people assume that Brock's not going to lose because Will is going to be accused by cheating, and any loss of reputation or challenge to Brock's skillset will disappear because it's not a 'legitimate' loss. Brock will just carry on with a record only marred by someone bringing in an extra Pokemon to cheat with, and that's a shame, because all of the buy-in one of the most hyped fights in the fic will get will just disappear, and it's going to be much harder to generate that again.

That's a legitimate setback if it actually sets him back. That's contingent on that actually causing a negative outcome in the fight, while this whole discussion is predicated around people not believing that the fight's actually going to result in a negative outcome. The general belief is that Brock is likely going to win regardless, or if he loses it's going to be because Will was cheating, not because Brock's Pokemon weren't up to the task.

Legitimate setbacks are things that actually impair you going forwards, or cause you significant troubles or hassles. Examples of this might include Pokemon being out of commission that cause Brock to lose matches he might otherwise have won; or it might include having to publicly lose a little face when backing out of or delaying a match; or it might include something that causes long-term negative effects, like traumatic nightmares on someone's part or a significant injury that permanently impacts someone's quality of life.

Losing out on Pokemon for a coming fight that you win anyway isn't particularly a legitimate setback. It barely registers on the scale for anything. It might matter if the protagonist is often portrayed as struggling and there's a sincere sense on the audience's part that this might result in a loss for the protagonist, but uh- I don't think anyone's sincerely expecting that to lead to a loss for Brock here.

But let me tangent from this to lay out something that people have been trying to get at in a lot more words than they're willing to use on the topic.

That is:

Brock's barely faced a challenge through the entire story, and most of the challenges he has faced have resulted in no significant problems for him. In fact, many of the things he's encountered that should have been challenges in fact ended up benefiting him.

When people say that Brock needs to experience some adversity, what they mean by that is that they're hoping that Brock faces some challenges that he actually gets stymied by, and don't just end up resulting in solving other problems for him or making him seem cooler in the aftermath.

I hesitate to use certain words like "wank" because they have a negative association that I think will lead people to dismiss what I'm saying for attacking the fic without considering the broader things I'm saying, so let's see.

One of the problems that lead a lot of people to dismiss things like isekai anime and 'litRPG' anime (the Dragon Quest-adjacent kind of anime) is that they tend to load up the protagonist with powers to the extent that the story starts to feel like it has no tension. The protagonist might get in over their head, but the viewer never believes that they're actually in danger; a part of the viewer is aware that the story is never going to have the protagonist actually be at risk.

They're not going to die, or take a serious injury, or lose someone close to them, or fail a goal in such a way that it's permanently failed; they're going to get a new power-up that allows them to take on the threat and win next time, and the only question is whether that's going to happen in the middle of this fight, or if they're going to take a plot-mandated loss and then have a small arc dedicated to how they get a new power that lets them overcome this threat.

Thus, there's no tension to the story. Threats are introduced and built up, problems are stated to be occurring, but there's no audience buy-in. The audience never believes that this threat is actually going to manifest and cause the protagonist material problems that they don't instantly overcome.

That is a bad thing, regardless of how much one personally might feel satisfied by it, because it means that there's entire swathes of things that can't be done there. For instance; the idea of catharsis is that it's a release of tension that has been building for a length of time. If people don't buy in to the idea that the protagonist is in danger, then when the protagonist overcomes that threat, there's no moment of catharsis for the viewer. There's instead a placid feeling of "The predictable outcome happened".

That's just one example of things that can't be done if there's no audience buy-in on tension and challenge in the story. It's not the only thing that can't happen.

Wrapping this back around, we can see how this applies to Hard Enough. People have lost that buy-in; they don't believe that Brock is actually going to face any significant loss or problems.

This applies to the Will fight, but more broadly, it applies to the entire story. There's no tension regarding Legendaries, because when a Legendary showed up and actively threatened Brock, Brock was able to fight it back. There were injuries on his team, but there's no buy-in to the idea that this is going to cause him significant problems; he's got so many options and he's generally been presented as overcoming every challenger in such a way that people don't believe he's going to lose.

Draw back to Forrest. There was a minor thread of tension with regards to Brock expecting Forrest to take over for the Gym for him, but this didn't result in anything people consider to be significant problems or setbacks. There was no big fight with Forrest as that tension came to a climax; there were no harsh words exchanged as a result of expectations Forrest wasn't interested in matching up to being placed on his shoulders; there's no significant troubles being caused for the Gym as a result of Brock no longer having a direct successor lined up; etc.

Instead, Forrest simply took over Brock's spot on Ash's team, and in so doing solved a secondary source of tension in the fic, that being whether Brock was going to disappear and join Ash's team to fulfil his canon role. That first tension not only didn't come to roost to cause any significant problems, it also solved another problem that had been presented (yet hadn't caused any issues to date).

In the interest of absolute fairness, it's possible that the Team Rocket plotline or the only-kind-of-resolved plotline with Flint may yet cause further issues in the story. It's possible, although frankly, I doubt it; the presentation of both has so far not really caused me to believe that they're actually going to cause Brock himself significant personal challenges.

Even if they do, though- Hard Enough is currently over 800,000 words long. That's longer than some entire fantasy series; it's longer than all of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion put together. In a few chapters, Hard Enough will be as long as the first six books of the Harry Potter series combined. It's longer than Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series put together. It's nearly as long as any two books in A Song of Ice and Fire put together- and I only have to qualify that with 'nearly' because books 3 and 5 of that series are inordinately long in comparison. Hard Enough will still be long enough to drop the qualifier in another ten chapters.

One would generally expect the protagonist of a work to have faced more than a couple of major challenges or setbacks over the course of a work that long.

All this to say:

When people say that they hope that Brock loses here and has to learn some lessons from this fight, they're not necessarily talking about Will himself. They're talking about the story's overall trend towards not having Brock suffer substantial losses or challenges throughout the story.

Will himself is putting up enough of a showing through the chapter that people want to root for him to win because, for the first time in a very long time, it would actually be believable for Brock to straight-up take a loss here. He might be a personally bad person, he might be using dirty tactics, he might be exploiting loopholes in the rules that will soon be patched- but he's pressing Brock, and Brock is on the back foot, and that means that for the first time in a very long time in the story, Brock feels like he's actually on the back foot.

The story has a bit of tension in it now. People are having that buy-in thanks to Will.

And then people are noticing all of the hints that Will is cheating, and that buy-in is disappearing again; that's instantly making people assume that Brock's not going to lose because Will is going to be accused by cheating, and any loss of reputation or challenge to Brock's skillset will disappear because it's not a 'legitimate' loss. Brock will just carry on with a record only marred by someone bringing in an extra Pokemon to cheat with, and that's a shame, because all of the buy-in one of the most hyped fights in the fic will get will just disappear, and it's going to be much harder to generate that again.

Thank you for expressing yourself in such detail and so well and please don't take it as a criticism for me to say I just don't think that this is meant to be a dramatic story. It's been a comfy slice of life worldbuilding story about the Pokemon world and society with some action and family drama elements, and at that it's been very successful. I would question whether we need so many very long pokemon battles but if other people enjoy them then hey I can just skim those parts.

So yeah I think you're right that this fight was over telegraphed and Will is a one dimensional villain you're right, and if this story relied on high stakes dramatic battles that would be a crippling problem, but I don't think that's it's main appeal. I'm more curious to see how Empress is doing, what Forrest gets up to, whether Brock's mom will show up and whether Brock is going to get involved with campaigning for the next election.

Legitimate setbacks are things that actually impair you going forwards, or cause you significant troubles or hassles.
Which has happened, it's just that Brock was actually intelligent, and used his resources and time to prepare, so that even experiencing setbacks isn't enough to prevent him from doing things, as he can absorb any losses and get through setbacks and difficulties that show up.

Everything you've said is true... for certain types of stories, a lot of them even, but not all of them.

Brock has experienced setbacks, difficulties and hardship, that you haven't been paying attention to, because they're not what you consider setbacks, difficulties and hardships, because Brock has preferred to be proactive and prepare for those things that you want to see, so that he isn't hit all that badly by those things.

We aren't watching someone at the start of their journey, we're watching someone who has been active for some time, and things are different than what you're expecting because of that.

Frankly, none of the things you're saying should happen, should happen, because Brock has made sure they won't happen.

Of course a top tier character won't make beginner mistakes, he won't suffer setbacks that would affect someone just starting out, the hardships that someone without any resources aren't going to be that different for him to get through.

This just isn't the type of story that you are apparently expecting.

So you say legitimate setbacks are things that cause significant trouble or hassle but don't count the pokemon being unable to fight despite the fact those ones would be better. There was a bit he would have loved to have had Selene to stomp the jynx without attract being an issue, Will has fielded 2 water types which Sanchez would have been great against or for being able to work while under attract, Don would have had the advantage over the medicham and exeggutor and again could work through the attract, Hypotoad would have also been a great aid at one specific point along with in general for having darkest lariat and there was a bit in the muddy field that would have been great for Bertha.

It also seems a bit premature to conclude this fight will have no lasting consequences for Brock when Titan is probably going to lose with Empress watching no less, just ate point blank self destruct so may be seriously injured, there was the suggestion team rocket could be using the match as part of a plan and there was the thing with the mean look so 2 pokeballs could be damaged or broken and Knight could be seriously hurt plus will also be like Tide and possibly Titan and feel put down by their showing.

That's already happened with the Moltres burning him and taking around 5 of his elites out of the running. If you want other examples the thing Will and the mayor pulled meant Forrest had to go off on his journey sure it had advantages but it also made things a bit more hectic for him. Arguably there's also some of the team rocket atks due to having to tip his hand on things like his defence measures and having Shrek around and the fact they got that spy in.

Brock not only didn't lose any Pokemon to Moltres (given Oak's warnings and how hyped up Legendaries have been in this particular setting, it's downright miraculous that Brock and Sabrina didn't lose any Pokemon; contrast with what happened to Agatha and Koga against Mewtwo), but he also got a salve in Chapter 131 from Pryce (who he had also come off of recently one-upping in a moment that was very good in demonstrating the importance of Pokemon bonds, but again had the unfortunate side effect of making Brock seem untouchable against not only a fellow Gym Leader, but a former Champion; with the way the battle was framed, there was simply no possibility of Brock ever actually losing against Pryce) that instantly mitigated the pain on both himself and his Pokemon from their lingering burns.

It's stuff like that which minimizes any sense of actual challenge to Brock as the protagonist from a reader's perspective. There's just this underlying sense that when it comes to the stuff that matters in the grand scheme of the plot, Brock is guaranteed to come out on top. And that's boring.

Just look at how this current battle has been framed: even with some of Brock's normal starters being unavailable due to the Moltres battle's aftermath, the underlying sense of blatant shenanigans on Will's part (as noted in-universe by other characters) just gives off the impression that this won't be a 'clean' loss for Brock (if he does in fact lose, which I'm not convinced of), such that his reputation won't even take a hit. Even if Will does win, the prose and narration are pretty blatantly indicating that his aspirations for the Elite 4 might take a hit simply because of how he's conducted himself. (Now granted, this is all subject to change, but that's just how it's being portrayed right now; and given the story's past track record, there's a high probability that's how it'll pan out.)

Basically all of this.

Back