Stress: 5/10

Accomplishments
Mechanical Engineering degree
Got a job in your field
Type 37 Special Purpose Rifle
Type 38 Self-Loading Pistol

Friends
Maeda Rumi: Your roommate.
Sanders Clara Rose: A colleague who works for Naylor, Sons & Daughters.

Coworkers
Mr. Watanabe: Your superior.
Mr. Akutagawa: The boss of the company.

Workshop 3
Ms. Ikeda Nioh: Chemist. She also seems to be Mr Watanabe's personal secretary, but you're not sure if that's an official position.
Mr. Yakade Yasuo: Physicist, specialized in ballistics. A living, breathing Technical Appendix C.
Mx. Kusonoki Mayumi: Has a degree in materials science. Gets a look on their face when they say they know more about wood than anyone.
Mr. Shiragiku Hideyoshi: Metalworker. Having met him, you've learned why metalworking is a craft and the meaning of the phrase "thinks himself heaven's gift to women".
Mr. Kashiwa Ichiro: An apprentice gunsmith with a background in carpentry and actually using guns on people.

Technologies
Rifles (Familiar)
Shotguns (Familiar)
Pistols (Familiar)

Rotate-and-pull bolts (Practical)
Straight-pull bolts (Practical)
Aperture sights (Practical)
Stripper clips (Practical)
Lever-delayed blowback operation (Practical)
Double-stack magazines (Practical)
Single-action handguns (Practical)
En bloc clips (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Short recoil operation (Conceptual)
Toggle-delayed blowback operation (Conceptual)
Blow forward operation (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Double-action pistols (Conceptual)
Automatic revolvers (Conceptual)

Last edited:
[X] 8x19 mm Palten Armée Pistole

Range and power isn't so important for a pistol. Smaller and less recoil means more shots and better control.

At short range, less recoil and possibly a bit more stopping power and magazine space. At long range, bullet drop is predictable and can be made up for with sights, while wind drift isn't. I think.

No difference between the two is as big as being able to fit 9 rounds of 8mm into the (vertical) space that 8 rounds of 7.63 take. That's a single stack too, if we decide to take the Navy at their word and go with a double stack, we can get something less likely to be unusable by smaller Akitsukuni hands.

Can we get the terminal ballistics hack from last time on the case here? :p

Damn, this is hard. I'm guessing the Army would prefer the longer range of 7.63x25 mm Katzen, but the Navy might like more powerful shots, as well. On the other hand, the Navy would like the low recoil of 8x19 mm Palten Armée Pistole since they'd probably be using it more (assuming they still do boarding actions!), and the Army might like having more bullets on tap...

In the end, I'm going to go with the one I know saw 20+ more years of service in the real world. Heck, maybe we can turn them into 7.62x25 Gaya-Tokarev bullets later on!

[X] 7.63x25 mm Katzen

[x] 7.63x25 mm KKatzen

Because neither of these rounds is particularly potent alone, I want something we can push harder with better barrels.

I'd really like to go double stack, and this would be thinner to facilitate that and get more rounds in when we do.

We might also be able to go simple blowback with this.

Also if we tie again, do we just make a pistol that fires both? :p

[X] 7.63x25 mm Katzen

I should note that the IRL evolution of this round, the 7.62x25 Tokarev, can beat light vests that would stop other pistol rounds like 9mm. Might be worth testing how much door or wall this can shoot through as part of our pitch to the Navy?

Last edited:

The Army wants a bigger bullet, and the Navy wants more rounds per magazine. The 8 does both of those. I honestly don't get how this is even a question.

In case we ever get a request that allows something that ridiculous, I'm sort of wondering.
What changes would the American 180 have to go to in order to fire .22 spitfire or hornet instead of .22 lr?

In case we ever get a request that allows something that ridiculous, I'm sort of wondering.
What changes would the American 180 have to go to in order to fire .22 spitfire or hornet instead of .22 lr?
Well, for one it would have to be upscaled to accommodate a cartridge twice as long as LR. The firing pin would have to be switched for one that is compatible with centerfire cartridges. That's all just for .22 Hornet.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about guns can elaborate on further complications.

Back