Films that were better than their books

The cast is still idiots ^^

The director really, really doesn't get how scientists work.
I don't particularly think Prometheus fails at showing competent scientists, rather it succeeds at showing incompetent ones. That's an important distinction, because the latter pretty much fits perfectly with the rest of the movie (ie humans exist as an accident made by blind idiot gods etc).

So it focuses more on the state of Danglar's financial situation over the stupid revenge bullshit, right?

He buys stocks in black holes at one point :V

The really major narrative change is that Albert is made the lead character. The story is presented from Albert's perspective, and the Count is introduced when Albert first meets him (on the Mooooon!). I think it works really well, because it introduces the Count's origins as a revelation. I was a kid then so I hadn't read the novel yet, so that worked really well.

By all accounts, the second two hunger game films are better than their books.

Not a movie, but the Expanse TV show is far, far superior to the books.

I've heard the Garden of Sinners movies are better than the books but I haven't read the latter.

I've heard the Garden of Sinners movies are better than the books but I haven't read the latter.

I'd agree with that, having read the novels. But I mean, even Nasu thinks the films are better. He once said that he wanted to revisit Rakkyo, to clean the story up and improve it with his greater experience, but he no longer felt the need to because Ufotable already achieved what he intended with the films. They're the definitive version of the story.

He buys stocks in black holes at one point :V

The really major narrative change is that Albert is made the lead character. The story is presented from Albert's perspective, and the Count is introduced when Albert first meets him (on the Mooooon!). I think it works really well, because it introduces the Count's origins as a revelation. I was a kid then so I hadn't read the novel yet, so that worked really well.

Count of Monte Cristo can only be improved by more Guy Pearce.

I think movie Enders Game was better than the book.

On a similar note, I've heard before that Stephen King really liked a lot of the changes they did in Shawshank Redemption, especially the opera scene. I haven't read the book, but if the author himself enjoyed the movie more?
I did like the callback they did to the book though, with Andy asking Morgan Freeman's character why they call him Red - "Maybe it's because I'm Irish."
Blade Runner is way better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

dat cinematography :grin:
A lot of Philip K Dick adaptions are like that - I'd say Total Recall (the Arnie version) is superior to its source material as well, for example.

Warning: Warning
TVTropes page

Wiki page

The Central Anime fansub is pretty fucking awesome fansub even if it screws up on occasion. I will warn you however, the cast list is some 100 main named characters and totals some 660 named characters... and most of them die. You also have to have entire walls filled with whiteboards just to keep an accurate score card of whose plans against who is underway/defeated/a victory. The entire soundtrack is not the usual anime fare either, hell it wasn't the usual '80s and '90s fare either... it's entirely classical with names like Mozart, Beethoven, and Wagner being repetitively thrown around.

I've sent a link to a youtube playlist of the entire series in HD via PM.

warning Hey, hey, don't send people copyrighted content on SV. Especially don't publicly say that you're doing it.

Jaws. A million times Jaws. The film is a nearly mythic tale of man vs. nature that also beautifully captures the atmosphere of a small vacation town in crisis. The book is tawdry schlock.

Watchmen. The original books/comics ending was just weird and out of nowhere. A giant space squid appears and stupid things happen then the end. The film is much better in that it removes that...thing (i dont even know how to describe it) whilst making it much more compelling ending and makes more sense.

Game of Thrones TV series is a lot better than the books.

It has a definite ending which will actually happen beyond 'oops the author died'. It also pruned a lot of literally pointlessly distinct characters, and represents someone actually editing the series beyond glancing at some doorstop of a book.

Then you would hate Legends of the Galactic Heroes... it's a 110 episodes of everything; politics, logistics, everything...

And is better than the books by simple fact that the books read almost exactly like a detailed historical thesis paper. Which, being a historian, I don't mind in my epic space opera, but the anime does a phenomenal job of conveying all that information in a more entertaining fashion.

Watchmen. The original books/comics ending was just weird and out of nowhere. A giant space squid appears and stupid things happen then the end. The film is much better in that it removes that...thing (i dont even know how to describe it) whilst making it much more compelling ending and makes more sense.

Did you actually read the graphic novel? Seriously?

:jackiechan::facepalm:

Back