Films that were better than their books

I know it's not a film as sch but I felt the Bleach Anime was better than the Manga. I'm all for taking things slowly and establishing plot points, but the Bleach Manga's pacing is the closest thing Japan has to a Soap Opera. At least the anime moves a bit more.

I know it's not a film as sch but I felt the Bleach Anime was better than the Manga. I'm all for taking things slowly and establishing plot points, but the Bleach Manga's pacing is the closest thing Japan has to a Soap Opera. At least the anime moves a bit more.
Then you would hate Legends of the Galactic Heroes... it's a 110 episodes of everything; politics, logistics, everything...

Then you would hate Legends of the Galactic Heroes... it's a 110 episodes of everything; politics, logistics, everything...
Haha possibly. Give me a link. If it's really aweful for me I might share my pain on the forum.

I'm not sure how many people would agree but WWZ film was more entertaining on a "fuck yeah zombies" level. The novel was thought provoking and what not, but...come on, the Jerusalem Wall scene was fucking awesome

Haha possibly. Give me a link. If it's really aweful for me I might share my pain on the forum.

I'm not sure how many people would agree but WWZ film was more entertaining on a "fuck yeah zombies" level. The novel was thought provoking and what not, but...come on, the Jerusalem Wall scene was fucking awesome
TVTropes page

Wiki page

The Central Anime fansub is pretty fucking awesome fansub even if it screws up on occasion. I will warn you however, the cast list is some 100 main named characters and totals some 660 named characters... and most of them die. You also have to have entire walls filled with whiteboards just to keep an accurate score card of whose plans against who is underway/defeated/a victory. The entire soundtrack is not the usual anime fare either, hell it wasn't the usual '80s and '90s fare either... it's entirely classical with names like Mozart, Beethoven, and Wagner being repetitively thrown around.

I've sent a link to a youtube playlist of the entire series in HD via PM.

I think I like The Martian film better then the book? There's some stuff the movie left out I wish they'd kept, and the whole Iron Man scene was dumb, but I really hated how everyone treats the Director character in the book, and thought the movie handled it much better.
They're both equally good tbh, or at least I have a hard time picking a winner. But it's not only one of the best scifi movies of the last decade it's also one of the most faithful adaptations of a book. Ridley Scott was overdue for a good film this decade (of course, now that he has the rest of his output will be terrible).

They're both equally good tbh, or at least I have a hard time picking a winner. But it's not only one of the best scifi movies of the last decade it's also one of the most faithful adaptations of a book. Ridley Scott was overdue for a good film this decade (of course, now that he has the rest of his output will be terrible).
If you distance yourself from the letdown of a xenomorph prequal the didn't happen even though there was a FUCKING XENOMORPH MURAL it's not half bad as a sci-fi horror.

I like to think that the Engineers found a xeno queen, used the royal jelley and then the experiments went horribly wrong. Or right but were unleashed ala Resident Evil.

Minority Report for me. The short story's cool, but I think it has a weak resolution. The movie's not deep on ideas either, but the visuals and pacing just get me every time.

Especially considering that the director apparently admitted to not even finishing the book cause he had a bad visceral reaction.

I think Stephen King claimed that he thought the ending of The Mist as adapted by Darabont was brilliant right?
On a similar note, I've heard before that Stephen King really liked a lot of the changes they did in Shawshank Redemption, especially the opera scene. I haven't read the book, but if the author himself enjoyed the movie more?

If you distance yourself from the letdown of a xenomorph prequal the didn't happen even though there was a FUCKING XENOMORPH MURAL it's not half bad as a sci-fi horror.

I like to think that the Engineers found a xeno queen, used the royal jelley and then the experiments went horribly wrong. Or right but were unleashed ala Resident Evil.

The cast is still idiots ^^

The director really, really doesn't get how scientists work.

Also, the anime Zanpaku-to rebellion arc was better than the manga Fullbringer arc.

Um...

That's a Xenomorph though. A very fucked up one (due to being of a much more fucked up lifecycle then usual), but a Xenomorph all the same.

It's not actually. Want to see why?

That's a Queen. The Deacon and whatnot, while possibly derived from Xenomorphs, hence my association with the EU royal Jelley, is a xenomorph in the same way Deadpool is human: i.e. similar but not the same at all.
The cast is still idiots ^^

The director really, really doesn't get how scientists work.
That's hardly a failing unique to Prometheus. The horror genre is a whole, with a few notable exceptions (Alien ironically being one of them), is based on people being fucktards. Also, every "totally not Alien" film tries to go for the truckers in space thing, even where it makes no sense.
Also, the anime Zanpaku-to rebellion arc was better than the manga Fullbringer arc.
Honestly, where it really shines for me is Aizen. In the manga it could sometimes take 12 panels to finish one fucking stroke which CAN be effective if it's a climactic battle with one decisive stroke but when it's done with people who are essentially mooks...yeah no.

That's hardly a failing unique to Prometheus. The horror genre is a whole, with a few notable exceptions (Alien ironically being one of them), is based on people being fucktards. Also, every "totally not Alien" film tries to go for the truckers in space thing, even where it makes no sense.

I think they're dumb by horror standards.

In that they're specifically shown to mess up at the areas they're supposed to be good at. The map expert gets lost with no outside influence. The biology person sticks his face in the alien. For scientists they seem rather uninterested in learning. Also, they blow up an alien head.

It's not actually. Want to see why?
[img snip]
That's a Queen. The Deacon and whatnot, while possibly derived from Xenomorphs, hence my association with the EU royal Jelley, is a xenomorph in the same way Deadpool is human: i.e. similar but not the same at all.
I don't get it. How does that prove its not a xenomorph?

I think they're dumb by horror standards.

In that they're specifically shown to mess up at the areas they're supposed to be good at. The map expert gets lost with no outside influence. The biology person sticks his face in the alien. For scientists they seem rather uninterested in learning. Also, they blow up an alien head.
Fair enough. I agree they're fucking stupid. I just try and enjoy the horror and the surpisingly well done android.
I don't get it. How does that prove its not a xenomorph?
In the same film (ignoring rodly scott vehemently stating that the goo has nothing to do with the xenomorphs despite the fact that there is obviously some connection) they have a huge shrine to the oriogional xenomorphs, which are vastly different to the black goo.

I'm not saying they're not related because OBVIOUSLY they are. I'm saying that the thing we saw in the film is not a xenomorph. It doesn't follow the life cycle (or it does very slightly at the end), it doesn't look ANYTHING like what we've seen except for the deacon-which is still really fucking different to a xeno, and the deacons...thing is very obviously engineered and seems to be a halfway point between a xenomorph and the Thing.

And of course, there is the aforementioned in the same film assertion that they are not the same.

Does the Edge of Tomorrow count? If so, EoT.

And if we're talking about animes, Spice and Wolf. The LNs are good n' all but the show makes it even better y'know?

Jurassic Park. BookHammond is boring beyond words. Just a stereotypical moustache-twirling Evil Industrialist. MovieHammond is a sweet old man who doesn't quite grasp how fragile his control of the situation is until people start dying.

Starship Troopers.

It's a great evisceration of the beliefs and society that Heinlein held near and dear to himself.
The movie is objectively good, and it's an awakening of scifi taste for at least one generation. Also Heinlein believes in everything at the same time, just that this one looks more personal than The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

The 5th Wave. Most of you probably haven't heard of it, or at least the book. In the same vein, Disney's Home.

There Will be Blood is only inspired by the book Oil! and can't really be considered an adaptation, but it's one of my favorite films so I'll take any chance to plug it. :p

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is another masterpiece. The LN is great, but the movie is just so damn good.

Back