Extra Credits: Extra Sci Fi

...why haven't I read the original book again?

How spoilerific do you think this will be?

You picked the wrong book to worry about spoilers. "Frankenstein" was written almost 200 years ago. It's so embedded into our culture, you already know most of it through osmosis.

Actually people know surprisingly little about it through osmosis, at least in my experience. It's been so distorted by films, movies, etc. that the popular image of Frankenstein's monster bears only passing resemblance to the actual one from the book. There is so much of the story that just about everyone I talk to is shocked to find out about.

Yeah, turns out I had no idea what the plot was like before watching that (and the frankenstein video that overlysarcasticproductions also put today).

Actually people know surprisingly little about it through osmosis, at least in my experience. It's been so distorted by films, movies, etc. that the popular image of Frankenstein's monster bears only passing resemblance to the actual one from the book. There is so much of the story that just about everyone I talk to is shocked to find out about.
Actually, you don't get to disagree with me.

Looking at this and Nasuverse's Frankenstein, I realize that everything about Nasuverse Frankenstein defeats the point of the original work's Frankenstein. Not that it's surprising, considering what it did with the Indian heroes, but it was kind of disappointing.

In any case, the original Frankenstein is my list to buy for a while, but unfortunately I've stopped buying any book until I've gone through at least one of the books I've bought. Considering that they're all long books like Bantam Classics' Complete Sherlock Holmes novels, Homer's Illiad and Odyssey, and ASoIaF...

Still, how much easier is it to read compared to the above?

The original Frankenstein was perhaps the only "classic" novels that I outright adored. It remains one of my favorite novels to this day.

Yeah, turns out I had no idea what the plot was like before watching that (and the frankenstein video that overlysarcasticproductions also put today).
I felt the same way. And it's interesting to see how the two groups presented the same material so differently.

In fact, I'm gonna link it here so people can see.

Last edited:
Looking at this and Nasuverse's Frankenstein, I realize that everything about Nasuverse Frankenstein defeats the point of the original work's Frankenstein. Not that it's surprising, considering what it did with the Indian heroes, but it was kind of disappointing.

In any case, the original Frankenstein is my list to buy for a while, but unfortunately I've stopped buying any book until I've gone through at least one of the books I've bought. Considering that they're all long books like Bantam Classics' Complete Sherlock Holmes novels, Homer's Illiad and Odyssey, and ASoIaF...

Sherlock Holmes is very easy to dip in and out of as it's essentially a collection of short stories. I mean you can try CLudeo your was through it but i find it more fun to be surprised the first time and try to piece things together using the information avalable to that point later on.

The Illiad is painful. But that's mostly cause it's not my cup of tea. Just be warned that it's longer than the Bible and has worse pacing.

A Song of Ice and Fire is great. However, you may want to jot down character names and actions for later reference cause holy shit do some people reemerge from nowhere.

Frankenstein is one relatively short contained story (compared to the stuff you've got lined up anyway) Reading it could honestly be the work of 1 or two afternoons.

Sherlock Holmes is very easy to dip in and out of as it's essentially a collection of short stories. I mean you can try CLudeo your was through it but i find it more fun to be surprised the first time and try to piece things together using the information avalable to that point later on.
Huh. I haven't continued it for a while because the first part, A Study in Scarlet, turned into some NTR-looking side-story partway. I like that the Holmes here seems to be decent if a bit awkward person though, unlike the more modern portrayals of him.
Frankenstein is one relatively short contained story (compared to the stuff you've got lined up anyway) Reading it could honestly be the work of 1 or two afternoons.
That's nice, I might buy it after all since as I recall the book is pretty cheap. It's nice that the classic books are sold really cheap, even by Indonesian standards.

I always liked Frankenstein's story and looking at other interpretations of the original text, as well as spin off creations some made, even if some were only really in name only.

It's also had lots of additions since its public domain.

Last edited:
Just remember that Frankenstein is a lousy narrator... IMO the story only really gets good when it switches to the perspective of Frankenstein's Monster.

I am Almost afraid to ask but what did they do

To be more precise, the original Victor Frankenstein created the monster for SCIENCE! Nasu's Victor Frankenstein created the monster because he wanted a perfect waifu.

On the face of it, it would really seem like the adorable Berserker thing is worse than the "Victor was a superficial dick who wanted a waifu" thing. Cause, like, that's just slightly shifting Victor's narcissism vector from "I am so great so I'm going to show all those idiots and the universe what for" to "I am so great so I deserve nothing less than a perfect waifu". It's still Victor being a completely self-centered irresponsible dick who does not treat the life he creates as an actual creature with thoughts and agency.

I am Almost afraid to ask but what did they do
Cute moe girl, of course.

Oh, and she was Berserker.
That. Although to be fair, Berserker is, along with Assassin, the "anything goes" class, just that anyone in that class is slapped with Madness buff/penalty. Not that it does much for Fran since she's just a pretty shit-tier Servant only good for sex appeal.

Doesn't seem like she's particularly smart when she got out of the Berserker class, though. Nasu basically doubled down on the moeblob element in that incarnation. I mean, to this day, her most prominent characterization is that she's really into energy conservation, which is interesting since she has a Perpetual Motion Engine powering her (yeah, that's what allows her to be alive).
To be more precise, the original Victor Frankenstein created the monster for SCIENCE! Nasu's Victor Frankenstein created the monster because he wanted a perfect waifu.
Nah, he specifically set out to play God instead, deciding to specifically create an Adam and an Eve. He just decided to start with an Eve first because that way she can birth the Adam which is really eww the more you think about it.

Oh yeah, since magic is a thing in Nasuverse, she's created via alchemy and less science. So that too.

Berserker of Black

Back to the topic, I might just buy the book later since it's available for cheap in Google Play store. It's nice that the prices in the Play store are generally reasonable (as long as they decided the book shall be available globally because, man, it's pretty darned limited in Indonesia).

If anyone has a passing interest in the original Frankenstein I strongly recommend it. It can be dry and a bit confusing at times, has some plot holes when you think about it , and has some odd narratives (at one point it's a flashback in a flashback in a flashback) but it's a solid story. The monster, or wretch as he's referred to, is an amazing character and the book should be read for his parts alone. The popular versions of the monster are complete crap compared to the original. Forget mindless groaning, give me a seven foot tall monster who debates philosophy when he thinks back on the deaths in his wake.

"When I run over the frightful catalogue of my sins, I cannot believe that I am the same creature whose thoughts were once filled with sublime and transcendent visions of the beauty and the majesty of goodness. But it is even so; the fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation; I am alone."

Last edited:
If anyone has a passing interest in the original Frankenstein I strongly recommend it. It can be dry and a bit confusing at times, has some plot holes when you think about it , and has some odd narratives (at one point it's a flashback in a flashback in a flashback) but it's a solid story. The monster, or wretch as he's referred to, is an amazing character and the book should be read for his parts alone. The popular versions of the monster are completely crap compared to the original. Forget mindless groaning, give me a seven foot tall monster who debates philosophy when he thinks back on the deaths in his wake.

"When I run over the frightful catalogue of my sins, I cannot believe that I am the same creature whose thoughts were once filled with sublime and transcendent visions of the beauty and the majesty of goodness. But it is even so; the fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation; I am alone."

Funny thing, you know the most accurate version of Frankenstein in that case?

Van Helsing.

Yeah, the one where Hugh Jackman tries to murder vampires because he's an angel of god or a left hand or something.

Funny thing, you know the most accurate version of Frankenstein in that case?

Van Helsing.

Yeah, the one where Hugh Jackman tries to murder vampires because he's an angel of god or a left hand or something.
Personally I find the 1994 movie to be more on track with the spirit of the book, even if it's heavily inspired by bride of Frankenstein and the like

Back