EVA01's Unitversal Idea and Concept Posting Bin

Kamen Rider Pathos musings 2
Continuing on....

As mentioned in the first post discussing the idea, a significant part of Masahiro's character arc is in trying to deal with his depression.

And, similar to the early Heisei Riders Kuuga and Agito, his Rider powers evolve as a direct result of Masahiro growing as a character - same for Kanako and Gen (which is only appropriate, since Psycodrivers generate and manifest power in response to their users' brainwaves).

At the beginning, Pathos is somewhat "standard" or "typical" as far as Riders go, as far as being a bare-fisted warrior with minimal reliance on weapons or tools. Mighty Kuuga or default Faiz would be the main go-to analogues. However, as Kanako continues badgering him and drawing him out of his shell, Masahiro gradually becomes more animated and outgoing - hot-blooded at times, even, particularly when confronted with (from Masahiro's perspective) the holier-than-thou hypocrite Gen. This culminates in a violent reaction in his Psycodriver, transforming his masked alter ego into the more powerful Raging Pathos, whose attacks and very movements have explosive potential.

As time goes on, however, it becomes apparent that despite the tremendous increase in power afforded by this new form, those same explosive impacts are having a negative effect on Masahiro as well. He may have become selfless and compassionate enough to put himself in danger for the sake of others -- but if he doesn't even care about his own safety, how much better is he really?

Eventually, it comes out that Masahiro's self-image hasn't really improved at all, and in fact there's a part of him - whether he realizes it consciously or not - that believes a heroic death is the "best" ending available for him. Gen of course mocks him for that kind of ignoble behavior, while Kanako's more pissed off at how "stupid" Masahiro's being. Before long, she comes to the point of taking his driver away from him, stating that she "won't let her creation be used for some stupid goal like killing yourself".

Listless and unsure of what he's supposed to do with himself anymore, Masahiro finds himself back at square one, before Kanako, the Psycodriver, and the Emotion Monsters came into his life. With nothing left to do but reflect and sort out his feelings, you could say that a much-needed vacation is forced upon him. As boring, mundane, hopeless, daily life goes on, Masahiro more-or-less tries to cope by lapsing back into his original routines and putting more attention toward his job than he'd been doing recently, but he can't get the last few months out of his mind, and it's driving him insane... until by random chance, he runs into a few of the former Emotion Monsters that he defeated and saved. Turns out that most of them still have the same kinds of problems they did before, but they're dealing now. They're functional, instead of self-destructing.

And from that encounter with people he's watched turn into destructive monsters because of their feelings, and seeing them come to peace with themselves.... that finally breaks down Masahiro's proverbial wall, showing him that he can do the same.

And it's that inner peace that enables him to fight the good fight again, proving his change of heart with the transformation symbolizing his newfound serenity: Zen Pathos, capable of all the destructive raw power of Raging Pathos, but 'properly channeled' in a way that doesn't. "Even if my hands are burning red, my mind is clear."

_________

Mulling over Kanako's and Gen's character arcs, to be posted when ready.

As always, comments welcome.

Last edited:
Gen fights the Emotion Monsters and Masahiro and Kanako largely because he believes it's dangerously irresponsible for anyone to even posess that kind of power independently of government oversight, and to a lesser extent, because once he gets to know Masahiro and Kanako personally, he believes that the two of them specifically shouldn't have the power they do. "Terrible role models like you should never be thought of as heroes!"
So, is this Ethos guy a government agent? If so, he's probably the most "pure-hearted idealist" of them all, because government, just as any place with people in it, is full of terrible role models.

Eventually, it comes out that Masahiro's self-image hasn't really improved at all, and in fact there's a part of him - whether he realizes it consciously or not - that believes a heroic death is the "best" ending available for him. Gen of course mocks him for that kind of ignoble behavior, while Kanako's more pissed off at how "stupid" Masahiro's being.
I was just thinking about the last sentence of the previous quote. If you take that statement and follow it up beyond the obvious, it actually implies that the dead are the best heroes, because they cannot disgrace their role-model-ism by doing some stupid and/or vile thing that living people are so fond of doing.

until by random chance, he runs into a few of the former Emotion Monsters that he defeated and saved. Turns out that most of them still have the same kinds of problems they did before, but they're dealing now. They're functional, instead of self-destructing.

And from that encounter with people he's watched turn into destructive monsters because of their feelings, and seeing them come to peace with themselves.... that finally breaks down Masahiro's proverbial wall, showing him that he can do the same.
To me, this would be the highlight of the season. Much more so than the inevitably-following kickass fight.

Up until Black RX (early- to mid-90s, and the last Showa-era Rider to have a full TV series), none of the Riders had any of the form-changing or toyetic gadgets/collectible powerup items you see all over the place nowadays. And even RX only had two alternate forms. (as opposed to the way Heisei Riders like Kuuga and Wizard have a myriad of different forms with corresponding Elemental Powers)

Usually, the Showa Riders just had their own smarts/guts,

Kuuga and Agito, the first two shows of the Heisei Era (the two immediately preceeding Ryuki) are a bit of an in-between phase, in that both of those Riders have multiple forms with elemental powers (although downplayed in comparison to many later examples like Double and Wizard), that was an inherent part of their powers, and they didn't need any kind of additional trinket besides their original belt to access them. Agito, also, was I think the first show to really popularize having more than just one Kamen Rider per series. It (along with some of the other mid-Heisei-era shows like Faiz and Kabuto) are probably my main inspirations for Pathos.
Whoa. Based on this description alone, I would very much prefer the early riders. Thanks for explaining, though. And since I don't know what else to say here, have a picture that might or might not be amusing.

So, is this Ethos guy a government agent?
He is, but the exact nature of his role therein is still undefined.

If so, he's probably the most "pure-hearted idealist" of them all, because government, just as any place with people in it, is full of terrible role models.
He kind of is, and kind of isn't at the same time. On the one hand, he's arguably the most idealistic of the three Riders (the other option being Kanako, whose worldview is one based around using it ethically/responsibly, and she considers using scientific/technological research/advancements wholly selfishly or to the detriment of others to be an irredeemable crime).

On the other hand, Gen has a hell of a holier-than-thou superiority complex, and has the tendency to immediately dismiss other people as "morally flawed/broken/inadequate" based purely on first impressions. At the same time, however, he admits that his own unforgiving nature precludes him from being a "good role model", and thus he considers himself a "placeholder" rather than a "hero." He claims he'll readily step aside if a better hero shows up to take his place, but whether there's anyone pure enough to meet his standards and strong enough to actually get the job done is anyone's guess.

Basically, his thing about role models and heroes ultimately boils down to how they present themselves in public. Masahiro has no shame at all in being a potty-mouthed wise-ass when using the Pathos mask, and Kanako similarly doesn't curb her own attitude while in mask, either.

Gen, however, does try to modify his behavior when transformed as Ethos, trying to 'play the role as it should be played'. You could say there's a major propaganda element to it, in theme with his status as a government employee.

Part of the conflict between the Riders is that Pathos and Logos may not be as shiny and photogenic of a hero as one would like, but they are nevertheless sincere (or are becoming sincere, in Masahiro's case) about their desire to do good. Gen, on the other hand, is more interested in acting like a hero (or otherwise trying to make people think of him as one) than actually being a hero.

I was just thinking about the last sentence of the previous quote. If you take that statement and follow it up beyond the obvious, it actually implies that the dead are the best heroes, because they cannot disgrace their role-model-ism by doing some stupid and/or vile thing that living people are so fond of doing.
It's a statement that I disagree with, but I could certainly see Ethos holding that kind of belief. It is certainly true that everyone he admires in his heart is long dead.

To me, this would be the highlight of the season. Much more so than the inevitably-following kickass fight.
I would actually be okay if that proved to be a/the majority opinion.

Whoa. Based on this description alone, I would very much prefer the early riders. Thanks for explaining, though. And since I don't know what else to say here, have a picture that might or might not be amusing.
Despite my disappointment at how increasingly toyetic the KR franchise has gotten since the turn of the decade, a number of the Heisei era shows really are quite good. I would certainly recommend OOO and Gaim at the least, and 98% of other fans will recommend Double.

Last edited:
On the other hand, Gen has a hell of a holier-than-thou superiority complex, and has the tendency to immediately dismiss other people as "morally flawed/broken/inadequate" based purely on first impressions. At the same time, however, he admits that his own unforgiving nature precludes him from being a "good role model", and thus he considers himself a "placeholder" rather than a "hero." He claims he'll readily step aside if a better hero shows up to take his place, but whether there's anyone pure enough to meet his standards and strong enough to actually get the job done is anyone's guess.
Deep.

I would certainly recommend OOO and Gaim at the least, and 98% of other fans will recommend Double.
Noted. I don't promise I'm going to watch it, though, because... Well, when cartoonishly-drawn people are doing silly antics on-screen it's somehow okay to me, but when real living people are doing silly (Japan-style) antics... I want to shout at them.

Last edited:
Noted. I don't promise I'm going to watch it, though, because... Well, when cartoonishly-drawn people are doing silly antics on-screen it's somehow okay to me, but when real living people are doing silly (Japan-style) antics... I want to shout at them.
To have a very quick visual aid for the comparison, here's a look at Wizard (2012-2013; a good ways into the super-toyetic Neo-Heisei Era, and one that did a better-than-average job of justifying all the merch in-story).... as opposed to Agito (2001; the second Heisei series, and in many ways a codifier in tone and style for the next several shows).... as opposed to V3 (1973; the second Showa Era series).

Unsubtly moving back to the Spider-Man story concepts I floated a page or so ago, I'm not sure of whether they'd be best as a fanfic or as a quest.

Last edited:
Spider-Man: Identity Crisis proposal
And on the subject of spider-fiction, the other day I had another story idea.

Some of you may recall/know of the Spider-Man: Identity Crisis story in the late-90s, in which Peter Parker temporarily created four new and unrelated costumed identities and ran them more-or-less simultaneously in order to still be a hero while Spider-Man was wanted for a murder he didn't commit (as with many of Peter's problems, "Fuck You, Norman Osborn").

They were Ricochet, a wise-ass crook for hire with tremendous speed and agility; Hornet, a gadget-wielding, jetpack-flying stoic brainiac; Dusk, a mysterious assassin; and Prodigy, a boy scout whom supposedly even JJJ publicly admired.

Inspired by the Deadpool story where T-Ray physically manifested aspects of Deadpool's psyche to kill them individually and make him weaker, the idea here is that by some unknown means, Peter Parker is split/fragmented into four individuals, each using one of those identities.

"But Eva," you ask, "what about the unbridled chaos this would inflict upon his family and friends, trying to juggle FOUR different Peter Parkers?!"

"Why audience," I reply, "that's half the fun!"

Last edited:
Which one, the wrestling one? I'd be interested either way.
Both the wrestling one (tentatively titled "The Sensational Spider-Champ"), and the police one (working title is "Spider-Man: Blue", may instead retitle it to "Protect and Serve" when actually ready for production).

The wrestling one would probably work better as a regular fanfic for the sake of creative streamlining, but I think the cop story might work better as a quest.

I'd just have to make sure and do my worldbuilding properly in the early set-up to make clearer the differences in that universe from most canon universes.

One of the particularly fun things IMO is that if Spider-Man really did give up on his chronic hero syndrome "responsibility" gimmick and just do what he wanted like Black Cat really wants him to, the end result would probably be something very, very close to Peter's Ricochet persona.

Last edited:
Like I've always said, if there is any single human being on the planet that Peter Parker could run over with a car and kill and only feel bad about because he knows he should feel bad, it's Norman Osborn. If there are two people it's Norman Osborn and Miles Warren.

The actual worst human beings.

Last edited:
Got a short one this time, a Kingdom Hearts AU where Aqua emerges from the Realm of Darkness and washes up on the Destiny Islands after 0.2 (and thereby at the end of KHI), but she never bumped into Mickey or encountered anyone else, so between isolation-induced shellshock and undefined trauma of being on an world right as it goes from "destroyed" to "and then suddenly not destroyed", temporarily has JRPG amnesia.

Not sure if it'd be best run as a quest or a fic, but I thought I'd put it out either way.

@rikalous may remember a less-defined version of this premise on the KH fanfic thread at TvTropes some while ago.

Got a short one this time, a Kingdom Hearts AU where Aqua emerges from the Realm of Darkness and washes up on the Destiny Islands after 0.2 (and thereby at the end of KHI), but she never bumped into Mickey or encountered anyone else, so between isolation-induced shellshock and undefined trauma of being on an world right as it goes from "destroyed" to "and then suddenly not destroyed", temporarily has JRPG amnesia.

Not sure if it'd be best run as a quest or a fic, but I thought I'd put it out either way.

@rikalous may remember a less-defined version of this premise on the KH fanfic thread at TvTropes some while ago.
Say, would you happen to have seen the KH3 trailer that just dropped. Because I can't help thinking that a certain part of that might be relevant.

I'mma just leave this right here, then.

I actually saw it while on break at work earlier.

The Aquanort bit actually gave me a separate, completely unrelated idea.

In the form of a crime drama AU darkfic set to Nickelback.

It's a story of Aqua's fall from grace as a cop after a trauma conga line drove her to the ultra-addictive behavior-altering drug known as DARKNESS (so horrible that Riku is the only person on record to have ever recovered from using it; he's been straight-edge ever since) as a form of escapism and the lengths she goes to fund/fuel the quickly-festering addiction, and the other characters' attempts to get her badly-needed help and/or stop the escalating insanity.

_________

But to reiterate, the prior idea I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
MHA/InuYasha crossover proposal
Copypasting an idea that I originally posted on another forum, purely the result of my music playlist having these two songs within 20 minutes of each other.

Basically it's an My Hero Academia/InuYasha crossover, where the "modern-day Japan" that Kagome hails from is the MHA universe. Yes, Kagome has a Quirk on top of/separate from her latent priestess powers, but I don't exactly know yet what it would be (first thought was some kind of "Charm Person" type of effect weaker than that one guy's brainwashing, but it also seems like the kind of thing that could very easily backfire).

Anyway, given Kagome's personality at the start of her series, she's really not interested in being a Hero (although she undoubtedly admires pro Heroes), and is just kinda-sorta coasting through life as you'd expect an ordinary high school girl might.

Then she winds up in the Feudal Era as per the first episode of InuYasha, and is somewhat better able to defend herself using her Quirk (but lacks much experience in doing so), though whatever it is should in no way invalidate/render obsolete her later-developing priestess powers.

Part of the idea/fun here is seeing how living in the MHA universe her whole life may have shaped aspects of Kagome's personality/norms differently than canon, in particular finding herself in a time period not only of demons and monsters, but in which Quirks won't appear for another few centuries.

Flip side of the coin, it'd be interesting to explore InuYasha's reactions to the MHA universe when he later goes to the Modern Era looking for Kagome ("You don't need to go to whatever a school is, you need to help me find the rest of the damn Jewel Shards!") and finding himself in a world where a) humans as a rule aren't squishy anymore and indeed there are many humans (and Nomu) that could or would quite feasibly stomp him, but also b) no-one on the street even so much as bats an eye at him. In a world of Quirks, his inhuman features aren't out of place at all, and with his choice of attire most people would assume at first glance that he's either a hero (perhaps a new sidekick on account of not being recognizable/reputed yet) or a cosplayer, or maybe both.

Copypasting an idea that I originally posted on another forum, purely the result of my music playlist having these two songs within 20 minutes of each other.

Basically it's an My Hero Academia/InuYasha crossover, where the "modern-day Japan" that Kagome hails from is the MHA universe. Yes, Kagome has a Quirk on top of/separate from her latent priestess powers, but I don't exactly know yet what it would be (first thought was some kind of "Charm Person" type of effect weaker than that one guy's brainwashing, but it also seems like the kind of thing that could very easily backfire).

Anyway, given Kagome's personality at the start of her series, she's really not interested in being a Hero (although she undoubtedly admires pro Heroes), and is just kinda-sorta coasting through life as you'd expect an ordinary high school girl might.

Then she winds up in the Feudal Era as per the first episode of InuYasha, and is somewhat better able to defend herself using her Quirk (but lacks much experience in doing so), though whatever it is should in no way invalidate/render obsolete her later-developing priestess powers.

Part of the idea/fun here is seeing how living in the MHA universe her whole life may have shaped aspects of Kagome's personality/norms differently than canon, in particular finding herself in a time period not only of demons and monsters, but in which Quirks won't appear for another few centuries.

Flip side of the coin, it'd be interesting to explore InuYasha's reactions to the MHA universe when he later goes to the Modern Era looking for Kagome ("You don't need to go to whatever a school is, you need to help me find the rest of the damn Jewel Shards!") and finding himself in a world where a) humans as a rule aren't squishy anymore and indeed there are many humans (and Nomu) that could or would quite feasibly stomp him, but also b) no-one on the street even so much as bats an eye at him. In a world of Quirks, his inhuman features aren't out of place at all, and with his choice of attire most people would assume at first glance that he's either a hero (perhaps a new sidekick on account of not being recognizable/reputed yet) or a cosplayer, or maybe both.
I'd be interested in that. Be cool to see a new Inuyasha fanfic that was good.

90% law notwithstanding, I assume that most IY fics anymore are bad?
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I haven't checked in on the fandom in years, but I've been assuming it's deadish because the only time I spot any IT fics is in a crossover that looks super terrible from the summary.

I used to read them and then at some point I stopped, and I don't remember many being good but I also wasn't quite as good at sifting past bad stuff back then. Still, I remember not being pleased with how many fanfics bashed Inuyasha or decided to ship Kagome with Sesshomaru or something really dumb along those lines.

But yeah, for all I know everything recent has been fantastic, I just haven't been looking.

Honestly, I wouldn't know. I haven't checked in on the fandom in years, but I've been assuming it's deadish because the only time I spot any IT fics is in a crossover that looks super terrible from the summary.

I used to read them and then at some point I stopped, and I don't remember many being good but I also wasn't quite as good at sifting past bad stuff back then. Still, I remember not being pleased with how many fanfics bashed Inuyasha or decided to ship Kagome with Sesshomaru or something really dumb along those lines.
<nod>

And if they're not bashing Inuyasha for being a dumb jackass, then they're bashing Kagome for being a self-centered "domestic abuser" (and/or animal abuser).

Back