EVA01's Unitversal Idea and Concept Posting Bin

It would also be good to know if these jobs are maybe going to lead into more esoteric ones later in the quest, because I'd vote for anything that leads us to Blue Mage.

To that end Knight would be a good class, thief I'm not seeing being a leader, black mages are too squishy and underpowered at low levels to justify leadership. But healer? Yeah that could work.
Personal power and leadership ability are orthagonal to each other, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

It would also be good to know if these jobs are maybe going to lead into more esoteric ones later in the quest, because I'd vote for anything that leads us to Blue Mage.
Probably not, or else not by a great margin.

Admittedly I hadn't thought about that, but doing so now....

Knight could potentially lead in to either Paladin (def-oriented and lower-scale White Magic), Mystic Knight (decently balanced and Spellblade based on whatever Black Magic is known to the party), or Dark Knight (atk-oriented, Emo Magic Arcana).

Thief would probably normally lead into Ninja (melee-oriented, Dual Wield) or perhaps Ranger (ranged-oriented, Rapid Fire).

Either WM/BM could conceivably lead into Summoner (with Yuna and Rydia setting a precedent for each), though I'm still working out how Summons would work in the game. Outside of that, branching out would be a lot more difficult than for the phys classes above, though each could take the other class as a second. Continuing on..... WM would probably be more inclined to be able to obtain Time Mage (one of the only two classes that can cast Meteor, and the other isn't BM) as a secondary class, while I guess if anything could reach Blue Mage, it would probably be Black Mage.

Not saying for a moment that it's going to be easy, though.

Either WM/BM could conceivably lead into Summoner (with Yuna and Rydia setting a precedent for each), though I'm still working out how Summons would work in the game.
The caster harnesses the power of their chuunibyou imagination, describing in detail what is supposed to happen, until a localized portion of the reality itself buys into it and plays along. Summoner abilities are learned via figurines, posters and body pillows depicting whatever they want to summon.

Last edited:
Probably not, or else not by a great margin.

Admittedly I hadn't thought about that, but doing so now....

Knight could potentially lead in to either Paladin (def-oriented and lower-scale White Magic), Mystic Knight (decently balanced and Spellblade based on whatever Black Magic is known to the party), or Dark Knight (atk-oriented, Emo Magic Arcana).

Thief would probably normally lead into Ninja (melee-oriented, Dual Wield) or perhaps Ranger (ranged-oriented, Rapid Fire).

Either WM/BM could conceivably lead into Summoner (with Yuna and Rydia setting a precedent for each), though I'm still working out how Summons would work in the game. Outside of that, branching out would be a lot more difficult than for the phys classes above, though each could take the other class as a second. Continuing on..... WM would probably be more inclined to be able to obtain Time Mage (one of the only two classes that can cast Meteor, and the other isn't BM) as a secondary class, while I guess if anything could reach Blue Mage, it would probably be Black Mage.

Not saying for a moment that it's going to be easy, though.
Knight is an easier class to upgrade to a higher class, because it's a fairly linear class otherwise and is limited in and of itself. The Mage classes however, still get most of their potential and room for improvement in the base class as time goes on, so they have less room to expand after that.

Working on an OP for the FF quest. Renaissance setting, which means I'm primarily taking inspiration from IV, VI, IX, and XII.

First vote will be to select what class your character is; each option has a predetermined template for the character, though you'll be able to fill in the details as you go on.

Knight/Thief/WM/BM are the only four selectable options, but there are other classes exclusive to NPC characters. In particular, I already have concepts for a recruitable Berserker, Monk, and Mime should you run into them. At least one of them is a non-human character.

I'm also adding Beastmaster/Trainer as a Class Change option for the Thief, so it and Knight both have 3 possible paths for development, and the physical classes can Class Change significantly earlier than the magic classes can (for reasons I alluded to earlier).

EDIT: started the quest, thread is here: Final Fantasy Quest (working title)

Last edited:
Spider-Champ musings/bunny, part 1
So after starting to watch the Tiger Mask W anime, I've finally, FINALLY figured out how to achieve my long-standing dream of doing a "Peter Parker actually keeps pro wrestling as his primary job while also being Spider-Man" into a reality.

The problem I had was primarily one of logistics. If Spidey joins with a touring promotion like WWE or GFW and gets sent all over the place to compete, then obviously he can't always be in New York to protect it. Not only that, but for any other cities he may go to, the mere public knowledge that he'd be in the vicinity of such-and-such stadium during the show would practically let criminals and supervillains plan their schemes to the time of his obligation. Even if they don't know exactly when his match/segment on the card will be, all they have to do is have someone stream the show on their smartphone and BAM! The very moment Spidey heads down to the ring, it's robbin' time!

For a while, I considered going with a TNA-like model for Spidey's employer, as far as 1) almost always being in the same building, and 2) the fact they usually taped their shows weeks or even months in advance, which could help to reduce some element of predictability in his scheduling on a longer-term basis. Still not perfect, but better.

But it was in the course of watching Tiger Mask that I suddenly realized the utterly fucking obvious solution that I kept missing!

Instead of changing Peter Parker's job and trying to make everything else fit around that... just import the entire Spider-Mythos into a wrestling-style format!

Peter Parker was an unpopular science geek in high school, up until the fateful day when he was bitten by a phlebotinum-enhanced spider! After being cheated out of fairly-earned profit from his newfound powers that he sought for the sake of his elderly aunt and uncle, a masked Peter took out his frustrations in a fit of anger against his opponent in a rematch, breaking his arm and putting him out of action for several months. That man's tag team partner retaliated with a hit-and-run against Ben Parker, the beloved uncle of Masked Peter's most outspoken fan.... unmasked Peter. Learning from this incident that he must not use his tremendous power without heeding the consequences, Masked Peter publically retired from wrestling to keep anyone else from coming after himself, his family, or his friends.... and then utterly re-inventing his gimmick to create Spider Mask and unleashing one holy hell of a smackdown on his uncle's murderer.

Goblin, Morbius, Vulture, Sandman, etc. are all evil wrestlers that Spider Mask must bring to justice in order to stop their devious schemes!

.........and as I say all of this, I abruptly realize that the entire premise may work better for Daredevil than it does for Spider-Man.

So after starting to watch the Tiger Mask W anime, I've finally, FINALLY figured out how to achieve my long-standing dream of doing a "Peter Parker actually keeps pro wrestling as his primary job while also being Spider-Man" into a reality.

The problem I had was primarily one of logistics. If Spidey joins with a touring promotion like WWE or GFW and gets sent all over the place to compete, then obviously he can't always be in New York to protect it. Not only that, but for any other cities he may go to, the mere public knowledge that he'd be in the vicinity of such-and-such stadium during the show would practically let criminals and supervillains plan their schemes to the time of his obligation. Even if they don't know exactly when his match/segment on the card will be, all they have to do is have someone stream the show on their smartphone and BAM! The very moment Spidey heads down to the ring, it's robbin' time!

For a while, I considered going with a TNA-like model for Spidey's employer, as far as 1) almost always being in the same building, and 2) the fact they usually taped their shows weeks or even months in advance, which could help to reduce some element of predictability in his scheduling on a longer-term basis. Still not perfect, but better.

But it was in the course of watching Tiger Mask that I suddenly realized the utterly fucking obvious solution that I kept missing!

Instead of changing Peter Parker's job and trying to make everything else fit around that... just import the entire Spider-Mythos into a wrestling-style format!

Peter Parker was an unpopular science geek in high school, up until the fateful day when he was bitten by a phlebotinum-enhanced spider! After being cheated out of fairly-earned profit from his newfound powers that he sought for the sake of his elderly aunt and uncle, a masked Peter took out his frustrations in a fit of anger against his opponent in a rematch, breaking his arm and putting him out of action for several months. That man's tag team partner retaliated with a hit-and-run against Ben Parker, the beloved uncle of Masked Peter's most outspoken fan.... unmasked Peter. Learning from this incident that he must not use his tremendous power without heeding the consequences, Masked Peter publically retired from wrestling to keep anyone else from coming after himself, his family, or his friends.... and then utterly re-inventing his gimmick to create Spider Mask and unleashing one holy hell of a smackdown on his uncle's murderer.

Goblin, Morbius, Vulture, Sandman, etc. are all evil wrestlers that Spider Mask must bring to justice in order to stop their devious schemes!

.........and as I say all of this, I abruptly realize that the entire premise may work better for Daredevil than it does for Spider-Man.
First off, no, Spider-Man is better, he has more iconic villains.

Though a story about Matt Murdoc becoming a boxer like his father would be cool as hell.

Second off, I would love to read this story, the Spider-Man wrestling one. You should absolutely write it.

First off, no, Spider-Man is better, he has more iconic villains.
Daredevil already has a perfect theme as a wrestler, though. :V

Though a story about Matt Murdoc becoming a boxer like his father would be cool as hell.
Matt strikes me as more the MMA type than just straight-up boxing, though I could see him as a two-sport athlete.

Second off, I would love to read this story, the Spider-Man wrestling one. You should absolutely write it.
When the inspiration strikes, I'll be thinking about it. When the motivation strikes, I'll be trying to do it.

When the two SOBs gang up on me in the corner, that's when it'll probably actually happen.

Also regarding the above: purely because I want to, even though I only know her from fanfic thus far, Cindy Moon is going to be a major figure in the Spider Mask project.

Which means that production on the story is going to be halted in its infancy until I can read an acceptable portion of her comics.

Of course, if you wanted to make this a little less wrestling-tastic...

Okay reading that sentence I recognize this post is probably pointless, but regardless.

If you wanted to make this a little less wrestling-tastic you could keep the supervillains as supervillains and have Peter maintain separate identities as wrestler and superhero. This does require the audience to roll with him happening to encounter supervillains wherever the job takes him and nobody to connect his schedule to the wrestler's, but canon requires the audience to roll with supervillains constantly attacking NYC and nobody realizing that he doesn't fight crime before school gets out.

Of course, if you wanted to make this a little less wrestling-tastic...

Okay reading that sentence I recognize this post is probably pointless, but regardless.
No post of yours is ever pointless.

If you wanted to make this a little less wrestling-tastic you could keep the supervillains as supervillains and have Peter maintain separate identities as wrestler and superhero. This does require the audience to roll with him happening to encounter supervillains wherever the job takes him and nobody to connect his schedule to the wrestler's, but canon requires the audience to roll with supervillains constantly attacking NYC and nobody realizing that he doesn't fight crime before school gets out.
You're completely right, of course. It is a flaw of mine that I sometimes attribute genre-savvy-ness to all or most characters in a work, when in truth exceedingly few of them would be. Especially since in most continuities I'm familiar with, only the barest handful of Spidey's Rogues Gallery would actually be insightful enough to make that connection.

I do appreciate the insight, good brother, and I think it helps to make the "TNA-model" variant of the first proposal actually seriously viable, and I specify that largely because at the end of the day, Spidey is a New Yorker at heart, and that's his turf before anywhere else.

If anything, your input actually inspired me with/helps me to justify a sort of middle-ground concept, where the otherwise distinct superhero and wrestling careers can sometimes actually play into each other somewhat (especially since I was probably going to have a gangster like Hammerhead or Tombstone as Uncle Ben's killer).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Spider-Cop plot bunny
And ON the subject of our Friendly Nighborhood You-Know-Who, there's another AU idea I've been kicking around on and off for a good year or so, which I've tentatively been calling "Spider-Man: Blue".

Officer Ben Reilly, better known by his alias "Spider-Man", is the first and most active member of an elite superhuman task force created by the NYPD, called the Metahuman Enforcement Team. Together with his partner, former convict-turned-Detective Lucas Cage, the duo battle tirelessly against the ever-rising tide of superhuman crime in New York City!

House of M was one of my main inspirations for the idea, but this Peter's actual life situation is still much closer to Earth-616!Peter's (at least as of the mid-2000s or so, anyway) instead of the near-escapist fantasy life House of M Peter has in the beginning of that story.

And ON the subject of our Friendly Nighborhood You-Know-Who, there's another AU idea I've been kicking around on and off for a good year or so, which I've tentatively been calling "Spider-Man: Blue".

Officer Ben Reilly, better known by his alias "Spider-Man", is the first and most active member of an elite superhuman task force created by the NYPD, called the Metahuman Enforcement Team. Together with his partner, former convict-turned-Detective Lucas Cage, the duo battle tirelessly against the ever-rising tide of superhuman crime in New York City!

House of M was one of my main inspirations for the idea, but this Peter's actual life situation is still much closer to Earth-616!Peter's (at least as of the mid-2000s or so, anyway) instead of the near-escapist fantasy life House of M Peter has in the beginning of that story.

Could be very interesting.

Worm + either Superman/Legion of Superheroes/Carnage crossover plot bunny
So I found myself ruminating on the idea of a Worm crossover again today, this time with either Marvel or DC.

Specifically, a semi-standard isekai type of story where a character/s from the Big Two is temporarily stuck on Earth Bet, naturally first appearing in the Brockton Bay area, and I figured on three possibilities for a protagonist.

First up? Superman, specifically one of the more powerful versions. Not necessarily talking Silver Age or anything like that, but definitely to the point that loads of people in-universe are comparing Superman to Scion, and even PHO having vs debates about them. This would be a major plot point in the long run, as far as taking the similarities (both real and imagined, in-universe and out) and differences and running with them. The fact that Superman actually stops to chat with people makes him relatable and de-mystifies him in comparison, but at the same time his insistence on doing his own thing instead of necessarily joining/conforming with the PRT or any other established team/faction/ideology makes him controversial.

Second up? The outside-context superhero's name is Legion, for they are many. I speak, of course, of the Legion of Super-Heroes! A team I know exceedingly little about beyond a few episodes of their cartoon from a decade ago, but just imagine everyone trying to deal with an entire super-team (probably close to a dozen Legionnaires) of aliens (even if many of them look indistinguishable from humans) who, again, do their own Heroic thing instead of conforming with the world's established players. Although a Legion story would probably be more political/intrigue-heavy in nature than would using Superman as a solo act, and in particular it can be expected that everyone and their mother would flip the fuck out over the fact that Saturn Girl even exists. Although I see Dragon and Brainiac 5 getting along swimmingly.

As for the third option? ....um, can we just sum it up by its title? CARNAGE RULES!

So I found myself ruminating on the idea of a Worm crossover again today, this time with either Marvel or DC.

Specifically, a semi-standard isekai type of story where a character/s from the Big Two is temporarily stuck on Earth Bet, naturally first appearing in the Brockton Bay area, and I figured on three possibilities for a protagonist.

First up? Superman, specifically one of the more powerful versions. Not necessarily talking Silver Age or anything like that, but definitely to the point that loads of people in-universe are comparing Superman to Scion, and even PHO having vs debates about them. This would be a major plot point in the long run, as far as taking the similarities (both real and imagined, in-universe and out) and differences and running with them. The fact that Superman actually stops to chat with people makes him relatable and de-mystifies him in comparison, but at the same time his insistence on doing his own thing instead of necessarily joining/conforming with the PRT or any other established team/faction/ideology makes him controversial.

Second up? The outside-context superhero's name is Legion, for they are many. I speak, of course, of the Legion of Super-Heroes! A team I know exceedingly little about beyond a few episodes of their cartoon from a decade ago, but just imagine everyone trying to deal with an entire super-team (probably close to a dozen Legionnaires) of aliens (even if many of them look indistinguishable from humans) who, again, do their own Heroic thing instead of conforming with the world's established players. Although a Legion story would probably be more political/intrigue-heavy in nature than would using Superman as a solo act, and in particular it can be expected that everyone and their mother would flip the fuck out over the fact that Saturn Girl even exists. Although I see Dragon and Brainiac 5 getting along swimmingly.

As for the third option? ....um, can we just sum it up by its title? CARNAGE RULES!

I'm down with all three of these, they sound great. Prefer Superman cause I'm a big fan, but the other two, particularly Legion, could be interesting as hell.

So, why would everyone flip out over Saturn Girl again?

Edit: Legion of Superheros with or without a Young Superman?

Last edited:

No post of yours is ever pointless.

You're completely right, of course. It is a flaw of mine that I sometimes attribute genre-savvy-ness to all or most characters in a work, when in truth exceedingly few of them would be. Especially since in most continuities I'm familiar with, only the barest handful of Spidey's Rogues Gallery would actually be insightful enough to make that connection.

I do appreciate the insight, good brother, and I think it helps to make the "TNA-model" variant of the first proposal actually seriously viable, and I specify that largely because at the end of the day, Spidey is a New Yorker at heart, and that's his turf before anywhere else.

If anything, your input actually inspired me with/helps me to justify a sort of middle-ground concept, where the otherwise distinct superhero and wrestling careers can sometimes actually play into each other somewhat (especially since I was probably going to have a gangster like Hammerhead or Tombstone as Uncle Ben's killer).

Thank you.
Playing The Amazing Spider-Man 2 licensed game on PS3, and I just heard Peter quip "Sometimes I wish I had a quieter, more low-profile gig. Like pro wrestling."

If I weren't already justified in taking this path, I damn sure am now.

I'm down with all three of these, they sound great. Prefer Superman cause I'm a big fan, but the other two, particularly Legion, could be interesting as hell.

So, why would everyone flip out over Saturn Girl again?
Because while Thinkers are a thing, the official line is that there are no confirmed honest-to-God mind-readers in the Wormverse.

The fact that not only can she read minds, but doesn't even make a secret about it would very likely trip ALL of the PRT's paranoia flags. And that's not even talking about the way so many other characters/factions (Coil and Cauldron probably being the two that most readily spring to mind) so desperately prize their secrets.

It's less of a guaranteed thing, and more of an intuitive step/leap I'm taking based on what I know of the setting. Basically, the moment Saturn Girl/any other Legionnaire reveals that she's a mind-reader, everyone else is probably going to get way more paranoid and unwilling/disinclined to trust the Legion because of it, even if the Legion and their collective actions classify themselves as Heroes.

Edit: Legion of Superheros with or without a Young Superman?
Probably without. Admittedly, as I said a moment ago, I'm less than an expert on Legion lore, but the only ones I definitely know would be involved are Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Brainiac Five, and Triad. As far as the Legion variant goes, at this point a lot of it comes to "steadily keep watching the cartoon to get a bigger grasp of the characters, eventually give the comics at least a more involved cursory look, and then pick a lineup as time goes on".

Because I have a variant of the premise for Superman alone, I probably wouldn't include his younger self as a member of the Legion.

Playing The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Any good? Always hopeful for the movie tie-in Spider-Man games because, well, Spider-Man 2 was fantastic.

Admittedly, as I said a moment ago, I'm less than an expert on Legion lore, but the only ones I definitely know would be involved are Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Brainiac Five, and Triad.

I like the idea of Matter Eater Lad but I have no idea what you'd do with him aside from have him eat and Endbringer. That is the one scene I can picture.

So

where would you set it? Brockton Bay for some mysterious reason or would they be a more global team?

Any good? Always hopeful for the movie tie-in Spider-Man games because, well, Spider-Man 2 was fantastic.
I don't know that it's as good as Spider-Man 2... but then, I don't know that any Spidey game I've played is as good as Spider-Man 2. That said? It's definitely better IMO than the mid-00's Ultimate Spider-Man game. I'd probably put it somewhere around the PS2 version of Spider-Man 3, or the PS3 version of Web of Shadows.

where would you set it? Brockton Bay for some mysterious reason or would they be a more global team?
Well, they would definitely start in BB, but they'd almost certainly expand their operations as time went on and they got more resources/intel on Earth Bet.

Kamen Rider Pathos musings 1
Had an idea, recently, for an original-universe Kamen Rider fic, which I'd call Kamen Rider Pathos.

Still mulling a lot of things over, but my primary concepts to this point stand thusly:

The protagonist, Masahiro Tomino, is depressed. Not just in the "life sucks" kind of way (though there is a bit of an element of that), but fighting with legitimate clinical depression (or at least, a related TV cousin). A de facto shut-in whose job is reviewing video games, anime, and manga for a popular indie media website (thus explaining why he's free to throw hands with monsters at random-ass hours of the day, and also explaining the volume of pop culture references he tends to make), feelings of hopelessness and/or worthlessness are his status quo. His only real strength/value, as he sees it, is that his dulled emotional capacity gives him a more clinical/matter-of-fact perspective, which does at least help him remain objective and impartial regarding his job. As you might guess, a major part of his character arc over the course of the series is about trying to fight off his depression, and learning how to be more proactive, more passionate, and learn how to actually enjoy himself. By the end, he ultimately still remains a pessimistic individual, but he's more well-adjusted than he started off.

After a chance encounter with some bossy broad bearing a briefcase, the two are attacked by a freaky Metroid-like creature, which promptly attaches itself to a civilian's head and turns them into a monster. The monster, identified as Rage Panda, goes berserk and starts destroying anything it can reach, until the woman - Kanako - opens her briefcase and shoves a belt she calls the Psycodriver into Masahiro's hands and orders him to transform. "If it's so easy," he snaps, "then why the hell don't you do it?!" to which she responds, "If I could do it, I already would've!"

After a few more minutes of wanton destruction and Kanako going from telling him to transform and fight, to finally begging him to stand up and do something so no-one else will get hurt, Masahiro finally uses the Psycodriver to transform into Kamen Rider Pathos, before fighting off the monster and beating it. Once the crisis has passed, Kanako reveals that the reason she can't use the Psycodriver is due to a medical reason. More specifically, there was a serious accident when she initially tested it. She ironed out the flaws so that it's safe for other people to use, but the thing's already fried her brain once, and she's not sure what it'll do to her if she uses it again. It might be fine, or it might give her a fatal stroke. She doesn't know yet, and she's got too much work to do before she can risk her life just yet. The Psycodriver is powered by the user's psychic/emotional energy, and Masahiro's stagnant depression makes him stable -- an invaluable commodity in a Rider powered by something as unpredictable as feelings.

The monsters, for which I haven't yet come up with a name, are what happens when the aforementioned Metroid-like creatures attach to a human being, dredge up their suppressed emotions, and then amplify them to create emotion monsters, which then go on primitive, destructive tantrums to further harness their psychic energy. The main villain/leader is a scientist who made revolutionary breakthroughs in the field of neurology, but can't bring her husband out of the coma he's been in for years. Frantically performing experiment after experiment, her best plan to save him so far is with a psychic energy transfusion. Hence why she's making the monsters to gather up enough psychic energy for it. (....holy shit, just realized she's more or less a functional Precia Testarossa clone)

The characters are all named after pro wrestlers, but aside from that Masahiro also takes part of his name from Yoshiyuki Tomino, the famous (best known for Mobile Suit Gundam and its sequels) anime director with a history of depression issues.

Comments welcome.

Continuing on from the above, Kanako eventually manages to build and perfect a second Psycodriver with variant technology, to basically be the "weaker, but more stable/controllable" version to Pathos. With this more heavily-refined and limited Psycodriver, Kanako finally steps up to the front lines and joins Masahiro as Kamen Rider Logos.

I wanna see a "Victim of the Week" who got attacked by the non-Metroids, but didn't transform into a monster, because he (or she) was well-adjusted enough. Er, I mean, was not controlled by emotions, but instead could control their own emotions? Or who's emotions were ballanced enough that the non-Metriod couldn't single out a dominant one?

Anyway, instead of transforming into a monster, this Victim of the Week goes looking for K.R.Pathos, because, even though the non-Metroid haven't affected him, it's still there, and keeping one's own emotions in check is becoming more and more difficult.

The characters are all named after pro wrestlers, but aside from that Masahiro also takes part of his name from Yoshiyuki Tomino, the famous (best known for Mobile Suit Gundam and its sequels) anime director with a history of depression issues.
Continuing on from that, characters are probably also named for a manga or anime author/creator/directors. While the wrestling theme naming is just kind of there, the author theme naming would be intended to more specifically be a clue about the character's personality.

Kanako, for instance, would have the last name of Takahashi. As in Rumiko Takahashi, the mind behind Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, and IIRC some other stuff I'm not familiar with. And like a number of her main characters (Ranma, Akane, and IY among them), Kanako is hot-tempered and stubborn, but unlike those three is also exceptionally intelligent and doesn't usually let her attitude interfere with that.

I already made the "famous for depression" thing with Masahiro being named after Yoshiyuki Tomino, and if I had to create a similar-but-contrasting character as his evil counterpart, I would probably name them Gen Nakamura (after Gen Urobuchi and Shinsuke Nakamura).

(note: just because I'm throwing that out there does not necessarily mean that he'll be a thing. Ditto for the fact that as a Rider, he would likely be Kamen Rider Ethos. I'm putting this out here because it's a character concept I'm interested in exploring, but I haven't yet created enough of the narrative to figure out exactly where he fits, yet)

EDIT: after thinking about what 'Ethos' literally means for about 10 seconds, I figured out what his angle is.

I wanna see a "Victim of the Week" who got attacked by the non-Metroids, but didn't transform into a monster, because he (or she) was well-adjusted enough. Er, I mean, was not controlled by emotions, but instead could control their own emotions? Or who's emotions were ballanced enough that the non-Metriod couldn't single out a dominant one?

Anyway, instead of transforming into a monster, this Victim of the Week goes looking for K.R.Pathos, because, even though the non-Metroid haven't affected him, it's still there, and keeping one's own emotions in check is becoming more and more difficult.
I really hadn't given much thought yet to the VOTWs yet, in large part because I was quite frustrated with how certain shows used that trope.

That said, it is a pretty straightforward trope to use, and I rather do like your suggestion.

In many respects, I've kind of been wanting to strike a balance between old-school and new school. Which is part of why Pathos, Logos, and Ethos don't have a bajillion ultra-collectible gimmicks that allow them the use of their powers. (OOO, Gaim, and admittedly even Wizard used the concept quite well, but since I'm not concerned with selling any kind of toys or other physical merchandise....)

Last edited:
How about drawing power from Social Links?

To elaborate, it's one thing if a guy fights to "protect everybody". It's another thing if this same guy fights to protect somebody personally. It's one thing if a guy swings his fist to "end the fight". It's another thing if he puts purpose behind his fist. Interacting with people - properly interacting with them - leaves an impression on both sides. Sure, in digital stories and forums/comments/chats discussing them, many possible motivations and purposes can be brought up. But seeing an actual person who does something despite of, or does something because of; seeing, how and why a person makes their decisions makes their motivations and purposes actually alive.

Writing this comment, I have realized two things. First, I have no idea what "old-school" and "new school" Kamen Riders are supposed to be. So I'm probably replying to a question you haven't asked. Second, I need to spend more time with IRL friends.

How about drawing power from Social Links?

To elaborate, it's one thing if a guy fights to "protect everybody". It's another thing if this same guy fights to protect somebody personally. It's one thing if a guy swings his fist to "end the fight". It's another thing if he puts purpose behind his fist. Interacting with people - properly interacting with them - leaves an impression on both sides. Sure, in digital stories and forums/comments/chats discussing them, many possible motivations and purposes can be brought up. But seeing an actual person who does something despite of, or does something because of; seeing, how and why a person makes their decisions makes their motivations and purposes actually alive.
It's not a concept I'd gotten to yet, but it is one worth thinking about.

Masahiro, for example, initially fights because Kanako guilts him into it and then because it provides an escape ("If only all my problems were so handily solved with a boot to someone's face..."), and only gaining heroic motivations later on.

Kanako, once she's able to, fights partially out of an acknowledgement that "it's the right thing to do", but moreso because she detests the way these scientific creations - the Psychroids - are being used (in her eyes) irresponsibly/to harm people.

Gen fights the Emotion Monsters and Masahiro and Kanako largely because he believes it's dangerously irresponsible for anyone to even posess that kind of power independently of government oversight, and to a lesser extent, because once he gets to know Masahiro and Kanako personally, he believes that the two of them specifically shouldn't have the power they do. "Terrible role models like you should never be thought of as heroes!"

As far as the original point about Social Links go, I haven't really thought a whole lot about how Pathos' powers will develop over the course of the story yet, and that's an interesting concept.
Writing this comment, I have realized two things. First, I have no idea what "old-school" and "new school" Kamen Riders are supposed to be. So I'm probably replying to a question you haven't asked. Second, I need to spend more time with IRL friends.
When I said "old-school", I was referring primarily to the Showa Era Riders (70s, 80s, and 90s), wherein the heroes were almost universally cyborgs who rebelled and fought against the secret evil organizations that kidnapped and roboticised them (SHOCKER and derivatives).

Up until Black RX (early- to mid-90s, and the last Showa-era Rider to have a full TV series), none of the Riders had any of the form-changing or toyetic gadgets/collectible powerup items you see all over the place nowadays. And even RX only had two alternate forms. (as opposed to the way Heisei Riders like Kuuga and Wizard have a myriad of different forms with corresponding Elemental Powers)

Usually, the Showa Riders just had their own smarts/guts, their cyborg enhancements (which, outside of transforming into Kamen Rider, you basically never saw onscreen), their Cool Bike, and that was pretty much it.

Then, in Kamen Rider Ryuki, (got an epic PR-style adaptation in the US as Kamen Rider Dragon Knight), each Rider had additional powers/weapons they could invoke by using a card. And then the device the card was inserted into would call out the effect. "ADVENT" for summoning your contracted monster for a super move, "FINAL VENT" for your Finishing Move, "SWORD VENT" for summoning your weapon, etc.

These kinds of tropes usually remained in the shows that followed, but got a little tamer as time went on, and AFAIK only showed up in the shows that actually used cards (which would be Blade, and then Decade). Hibiki, in a bit of a one-off thing that would later become huge about five shows later, also introduced the idea of having tiny, handheld transforming robots (often animal-shaped) that could act as information-gatherers on the heroes' behalf.

And then Kamen Rider Double hit, and the merchandising aspect of the franchise went freaking insane. Where before, only a handful of Riders transformed with the use of a collectible gimmick (the aforementioned card-using Riders), now anything that could hypothetically be mass-produced for collectability became an integral part of the transformation device - often with varying powers as well. Double used USB sticks to gain elemental powers, OOO used a combination of three Medals (coins) to gain animal powers (with a much more powerful elemental form if he used a full combo of same-color Medals), Fourze used plug-n-play switches to adapt his tools and powerset like a Swiss Army Knife, Wizard used magical Rings to change forms or to invoke spells, Gaim gained could change his arsenal of weapons and armor with freaking LOCKS, Drive got new powers pretty much by equipping Hot Wheels....

Etc., etc. Kuuga and Agito, the first two shows of the Heisei Era (the two immediately preceeding Ryuki) are a bit of an in-between phase, in that both of those Riders have multiple forms with elemental powers (although downplayed in comparison to many later examples like Double and Wizard), that was an inherent part of their powers, and they didn't need any kind of additional trinket besides their original belt to access them. Agito, also, was I think the first show to really popularize having more than just one Kamen Rider per series. It (along with some of the other mid-Heisei-era shows like Faiz and Kabuto) are probably my main inspirations for Pathos.

Last edited:
Back