To make people actually remember, here's it once for posterity: Minako is nonbinary and uses they/them. This message will be pinned so you people stop getting it wrong and pissing me off. If you get it wrong in the future I'm going to be much less nice, considering you have to scroll past it just to read the quest.

The flank team would act as a lookout for the attacks from east and west, basically, which is what I mean by flanking the enemy if they attempt to flank us.

If they somehow attack from the south... welp were fucked the Info Team and half of Artillery Team are in the south, with Flank Team standing by near to them, relatively, so that's twenty five Megucas they'll have to go through.

Not ideal, since the dedicated tanks and dps are on the other side of the city, but if we position everyone in a ring around Walpurgisnacht they can attack us from every direction at their leisure, so it's a bit of a gamble that the bulk of them attack from the most likely direction: north.

Speaking of Artillery Team, how confident are we that even their longer ranged members can make attacks over multiple kilometers? That's a fair bit of distance even for our dedicated shooty peeps.

I wonder if something in the vein of airborne leaflet propaganda would be effective. That's the thing where you airdrop propaganda leaflets on enemy positions with encouragements to surrender, instructions on how to surrender, assertions that their commanders don't care about their lives, etc. Maybe they have some magi whose powers could be used for leaflet dispersal, or we could just scatter them around probable attack locations ahead of time. Maybe they could rig up some speakers around town, as well. The latter might have the advantage of getting the people that've been flipped over the course of the quest to record some stuff, attest to the fact that they surrendered and were treated humanely and are happier away from the Glow. You could do that in print too, of course, but that'd be easier to brush off as fake as opposed to actually being able to hear their voices.
This wouldn't get the sort of defection rates that've been gotten throughout the quest with being able to talk face to face to one or just a few people at a time, of course, but it still could get some and there's little risk in trying. Even if there are no immediate defections from it, it might set up for easier surrenders later.

Speaking of Artillery Team, how confident are we that even their longer ranged members can make attacks over multiple kilometers? That's a fair bit of distance even for our dedicated shooty peeps.

Not at all. Worst case scenario, all of them hop on the shooty train and do their thing from there.

I mean, I'm pretty sure some of them can do something, like calling meteorites from the sky, lol, but by no means all of them or even most of them, no.

But, I don't know anything about their abilities, except for them being equaled to an artillery team, so I've picked what I believe the two most effective positions for them, depending on the range.

Not at all. Worst case scenario, all of them hop on the shooty train and do their thing from there.

I mean, I'm pretty sure some of them can do something, like calling meteorites from the sky, lol, but by no means all of them or even most of them, no.

But, I don't know anything about their abilities, except for them being equaled to an artillery team, so I've picked what I believe the two most effective positions for them, depending on the range.
Alright, fair enough.

Last question about your plan, why are we deliberately planning on falling back over time? Yes, it's inevitable that it's going to happen and we'll want to plan around it, but that's not the same as counting on it. Additionally, why are our flanking harassers being held in reserve for the final blow or emergency bailouts? Shouldn't the purpose of final line tactical reserve go to our actual ready reserve, Strike Team?

I think the eve of battle is absolutely not the time I'll be blunt with you. They're about to be a bit too busy to be reading leaflets.
They'd drop leaflets on front-line positions in WWII, I think as long as you could get them to the enemy when they're not currently in a fight it could work. And of course the audio one, if it's possible, doesn't need them to stop and read leaflets.

Last question about your plan, why are we deliberately planning on falling back over time? Yes, it's inevitable that it's going to happen and we'll want to plan around it, but that's not the same as counting on it. Additionally, why are our flanking harassers being held in reserve for the final blow or emergency bailouts? Shouldn't the purpose of final line tactical reserve go to our actual ready reserve, Strike Team?

Because Flank Team is described as a game-changer, Magi who overturn battles instead of clashes, so I assumed they are our trump card. Strike Team is described more as an immediate application of force, on the other hand.

As for why I'm planning on falling back, well, because
1) I assume there are more of them than there are of us, always a safe assumption
2) I plan on minimizing our casualties while maximizing theirs, non lethal casualties if possible, and a static line won't do it.
3) The crux of the plan is to make Rin arrive to the Seed with too small a number of Magi to break through, and then hit her with everything we have. If we can make everyone else hang back because they are hopping on too few legs or at least arrive not at the same time as Rin, we can concentrate on fighting her and whatever parts of her inner circle survive the initial offense.

Something like that.

Last edited:
They'd drop leaflets on front-line positions in WWII, I think as long as you could get them to the enemy when they're not currently in a fight it could work. And of course the audio one, if it's possible, doesn't need them to stop and read leaflets.
Let me put it this way: While I don't think it's actively counterproductive, is it a good use of our very limited remaining preparation time?
Because Flank Team is described as a game-changer, Magi who overturn battles instead of clashes, so I assumed they are our trump card.
Yeah, under the assumption that they're going to be used as a harassing force to peel off parts of the enemy force, not as an actual in reserve trump card. And the role of the final line is specifically a single charge, not the broader engagement, so that's specifically the remit of Strike still.
As for why I'm planning on falling back, well, because
1) I assume there are more of them than there are of us, always a safe assumption
2) I plan on minimizing our casualties while maximizing theirs, non lethal casualties if possible, and a static line won't do it.
3) The crux of the plan is to make Rin arrive to the Seed with too small a number of Magi to break through, and then hit her with everything we have. If we can make everyone else hang back because they are hopping on too few legs or at least arrive not at the same time as Rin, we can concentrate on fighting her and whatever parts of her inner circle survive the initial offense.
I'm not saying we shouldn't fall back if it comes down to it, but rather that planning to fight them on the beaches might be a good idea because it means they can't link up immediately if they come over in multiple waves or on different areas, which they likely will.

Strike Team is headed by Kyouko, focused on sudden and hard strikes. They are meant to disrupt charges and disappear to strike again.

Multiple attacks, focusing on blunting the enemy charge.

This is the Flank Team, meant to split the attention of a main attacking force. Strike team disrupts charges, flank team disrupts the entire battle.

Single-use flanking maneuver, meant to disrupt the entirety of the enemy attack force.
I'm not saying we shouldn't fall back if it comes down to it, but rather that planning to fight them on the beaches might be a good idea because it means they can't link up immediately if they come over in multiple waves or on different areas, which they likely will.

That will be a slugfest and open us up for a focused strike to break through. The problem is, we have to defend all the approaches to the Seed, they just have to reach it. It means Rin can tie the bulk of our forces with Magi and then pick where she'd like to strike with her cohort, and I'm pretty sure all of them are really heavy hitters.

Besides, all the other Magi are just a sideshow. We need to delay, disable or disrupt them, Rin, on the other hand, needs to go down, hard. So the plan, again, focuses on trying to hit her with our concentrated forces of 50 Megucas, while the majority of her forces are limping behind her.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it will still come to a fight with Minako, Kyouko and Sayaka facing off together against Rin in her One-Winged Angel Form under heavy rain before smoothly transitioning into the second phase with buildings flying up in the air, Rin flipping upside down and starting to laugh, but hey, I can dream that it won't.

Single-use flanking maneuver, meant to disrupt the entirety of the enemy attack force.
I don't know where you're getting single-use from to be perfectly honest.
That will be a slugfest and open us up for a focused strike to break through.
And? We want a slugfest. A slugfest favors us as the defenders. It allows us to make use of our prepared positions, means they're not slipping the noose so easily and reliably, and we probably have more and more consistent healing capabilities among our forces than they do based on what we've seen so far. I'd be far more concerned about the possibility that they somehow avoid a slugfest.

And yes some fronts may suffer successful breakthroughs, but that's why we have operational reserves, to plug those gaps.
Besides, all the other Magi are just a sideshow. We need to delay, disable or disrupt them, Rin, on the other hand, needs to go down, hard. So the plan, again, focuses on trying to hit her with our concentrated forces of 50 Megucas, while the majority of her forces are limping behind her.
Yeah but if we give ground to Rin's screen that drops, potentially drastically, the distance she has to cover in her end run.
I mean, I'm pretty sure it will still come to a fight with Minako, Kyouko and Sayaka facing off together against Rin in her One-Winged Angel Form under heavy rain before smoothly transitioning into the second phase with buildings flying up in the air, Rin flipping upside down and starting to laugh, but hey, I can dream that it won't.
Without a doubt, which is why I want that final climactic showdown to happen as far away from the Seed as possible. Insurance, you see.

And? We want a slugfest. A slugfest favors us as the defenders. It allows us to make use of our prepared positions, means they're not slipping the noose so easily and reliably, and we probably have more and more consistent healing capabilities among our forces than they do based on what we've seen so far. I'd be far more concerned about the possibility that they somehow avoid a slugfest.

And yes some fronts may suffer successful breakthroughs, but that's why we have operational reserves, to plug those gaps.

I mean, I totally understand your tactics if we had two armies fighting it out on the shores of a city. However, we have maybe a hundred and fifty participants at most, so these tactics won't work on a small scale with highly mobile participants who can jump on the buildings, travel through the sewers and fly. This is as much about not allowing them to overrun us or outflank us as it is about defending the closest approach to Walpurgisnacht. Because all of our Magi are people Sayaka knows, her family and friends, so I kinda want for the majority of them to survive. And a slugfest will be characterized by high losses on both sides, because Magic can kill, and they do it better than normal people too. That's also why we don't entrench, because it won't do anything against people who can control metal or shoot us with the burning rage of a million suns.

I mean, I totally understand your tactics if we had two armies fighting it out on the shores of a city. However, we have maybe a hundred and fifty participants at most, so these tactics won't work on a small scale with highly mobile participants who can jump on the buildings, travel through the sewers and fly. This is as much about not allowing them to overrun us or outflank us as it is about defending the closest approach to Walpurgisnacht. Because all of our Magi are people Sayaka knows, her family and friends, so I kinda want for the majority of them to survive. And a slugfest will be characterized by high losses on both sides, because Magic can kill, and they do it better than normal people too. That's also why we don't entrench, because it won't do anything against people who can control metal or shoot us with the burning rage of a million suns.
I worry that you're overestimating the amount of ground we have to give in the first place. The distance between the closest bit of shore and the Seed is, what, less than 2000 meters? Looks like to me at least. Ordinary human beings have run that distance in under five minutes, let alone (as you yourself point out) highly mobile meguca. We just can't fall back that much, is my personal concern. So falling back the moment we're in trouble will leave us all too rapidly with nowhere to fall back to.

Maybe a sort of three tiered defense? The main line, maybe within a minute to fifteen seconds of the seed. Fuzzy number there because it's a bit hard to get a feel for big a radius a solid defensive line could be formed at with these forces. Some room to fall back, but able to respond quickly if anyone slips through the lines and makes a break for the seed.
A force right at the seed, able to deal with (or at least stall long enough to receive backup) anyone who gets through the main line undetected or too quickly for the defenders to catch. They'd also be reserves for the main line, as well as their final fallback position. Info Team would probably be stationed here so they don't have to split their attention between fighting for their lives and coordinating the battle.
Finally, a skirmishing force can engage the enemy on their advance into the town before they meet the main line. Locate the enemy, get a hit in, and disengage quickly. Disorganize the enemy and inflict some light casualties on them before they reach the main line. They'd also be able to alert everyone as to the specific angles the Glow is approaching from, and when. The Glow will hit the main line on Mitakihara's terms, not theirs. During the main battle these elements would either join the main line or remain as flanking elements and/or calvary analogues, sort of like Jonen C suggested last page.
I do think the main line not being right at the seed is important. Like, that does make Rin slipping past them possible, but the reserves at the seed and positioning the main line close enough to be able to respond quickly should all but eliminate that, and drawing the line right at the seed means that if the enemy breaks through anywhere, there's virtually no ability to recover from it.
If there's any info team members with powers good for scouting that need line of sight or proximity or somesuch, if might be good to have them accompany skirmish teams.

Let me put it this way: While I don't think it's actively counterproductive, is it a good use of our very limited remaining preparation time?
Probably. It's not the sort of preparations where nearly everyone is doing something at all times. They're magi defending a town, not a modern military preparing for mobilization. There's no equipment to prepare, no supply lines to establish. I'd expect a decent amount of idle hands from the people who aren't doing the planning or helping manage the evacuation.
Less pragmatically, it could save lives on both sides, so yes, I think it's worth it.

The defectors from the Glow have only come through a fair amount of time and effort being put into breaking the brainwashing that has been placed over them, often in concert with Minako using their power to push through the magic Rin has used to reinforce her rhetoric. Pamphlets aren't going to convince anyone of anything at this stage, and people are honestly better off psyching themselves up for the fight to come than going off on a propaganda campaign on the eve of battle.

Simply put, a lot more went into getting defections from the Glow than I feel is being implied here. Conflict was involved pretty much every time, as well as direct involvement from a Magi directly counteracting Rin's influence. So let's not try to write this off as if it was easy to accomplish.

Last edited:
Into the Future - Lady Rin
"All these years...all these years of strife and struggle, of pain and loneliness...and I will finally finally reach apotheosis. No longer trapped by this mortal coil, no longer wrapped in sin and dripping with hate. No longer will I suffer those forsaken creatures. And I can cast them to where they belong."

One day left.

Nah m8 not on our watch.
Maybe a sort of three tiered defense? The main line, maybe within a minute to fifteen seconds of the seed. Fuzzy number there because it's a bit hard to get a feel for big a radius a solid defensive line could be formed at with these forces. Some room to fall back, but able to respond quickly if anyone slips through the lines and makes a break for the seed.
I feel like that's too close. It means we've accepted that not only Rin but the bulk of her troops will get within almost literal spitting distance of the Seed, which is inevitable to some degree but I'd rather we have it happen at the end of the fight and not at the start.

If that magi that teleports seeds gets to walp, everything's fucked.

I'm not sure if the teleport is touch ranged or if it can work from a distance, so let's make suuuuuuuure they don't get close.

Otherwise everything's fucked. :V

The defectors from the glow have only come through a fair amount of time and effort being put into breaking the brainwashing that has been placed over them, often in concert with Minako using their power to push through the magic Rin has used to reinforce her rhetoric. Pamphlets aren't going to convince anyone of anything at this stage, and people are honestly better off psyching themselves up for the fight to come than going off on a propaganda campaign on the eve of battle.

Simply put, a lot more went into getting defections from the Glow than I feel is being implied here. Conflict was involved pretty much every time, as well as direct involvement from a Magi directly counteracting Rin's influence. So let's not try to write this off as if it was easy.
Wasn't Minako only involved in flipping one or two of them? As I recall, the rest were all just talked down normally or convinced to stand down after being incapacitated. Outright getting them to defect took time yeah, but just getting them to surrender or accept that we're not their enemy did not take long, even with the group on the boat that had a loyal adult trying to drive them to attack. Like, I'm not expecting mass defections from some pamphlets and broadcasts during a platoon-scale attack, or for the same success rate that talking face-to-face in smaller scale engagements was able to get. But the mind control is shown time and again to be about subtler lying and manipulation rather than an iron grip on their will, and they're able to question their orders when just presented with a competing argument.
Plus, an all-out attack like this won't be able to have the quality control or personal touch that the smaller strike teams and disposable assets would've been able to be given, so there's probably some among them who'd be easier to convince to desert than the ones we've seen so far.
Also, keep in mind the example of... I believe it was Henrietta, early on, who the mind control straight up did not work on and only stuck around out of fear. It wasn't a magi power of hers or anysuch, there's just some people who it has not worked on for whatever reason, and I think they'd be pretty likely to be convinced that they'd be better off just running.
Also, Oriko, a major asset for the Glow who they would've had a lot of motive to do their best to keep loyal, and who was nonetheless just waiting for the first opportunity to defect.

Wasn't Minako only involved in flipping one or two of them? As I recall, the rest were all just talked down normally or convinced to stand down after being incapacitated. Outright getting them to defect took time yeah, but just getting them to surrender or accept that we're not their enemy did not take long, even with the group on the boat that had a loyal adult trying to drive them to attack. Like, I'm not expecting mass defections from some pamphlets and broadcasts during a platoon-scale attack, or for the same success rate that talking face-to-face in smaller scale engagements was able to get. But the mind control is shown time and again to be about subtler lying and manipulation rather than an iron grip on their will, and they're able to question their orders when just presented with a competing argument.
Plus, an all-out attack like this won't be able to have the quality control or personal touch that the smaller strike teams and disposable assets would've been able to be given, so there's probably some among them who'd be easier to convince to desert than the ones we've seen so far.
Also, keep in mind the example of... I believe it was Henrietta, early on, who the mind control straight up did not work on and only stuck around out of fear. It wasn't a magi power of hers or anysuch, there's just some people who it has not worked on for whatever reason, and I think they'd be pretty likely to be convinced that they'd be better off just running.
Also, Oriko, a major asset for the Glow who they would've had a lot of motive to do their best to keep loyal, and who was nonetheless just waiting for the first opportunity to defect.
But all of those were still with extensive face to face contact? Like, the boat team is a good example, in that they were willing to throw down for a bit and had to be comprehensively outmatched before they really were willing to stand down. Your arguments would make sense if you were talking about more trying to encourage surrenders at the point of contact, but nobody's arguing against such an idea. Just strewing some hastily made leaflets about in the hopes that someone may pick them up, if they realize they're not just scattered scraps of paper, or blaring generic warnings over a hastily rigged PA system isn't gonna cut it. If any are really itching to defect they're likely to do so by themselves at the point they meet our forces.

Back