But seriously, I don't exactly have any real reference point for what they're talking about and judging whether they're right or wrong, since my only exposure to DBZ has been through Teamfoustar's videos. I'm guessing the complaint is due to how, since everybody on 4chan has probably watched DBZ back in their childhoods, TFS playing things straight has no value to them and just comes across as them trying to "outdo the source material".

But seriously, I don't exactly have any real reference point for what they're talking about and judging whether they're right or wrong, since my only exposure to DBZ has been through Teamfoustar's videos. I'm guessing the complaint is due to how, since everybody on 4chan has probably watched DBZ back in their childhoods, TFS playing things straight has no value to them and just comes across as them trying to "outdo the source material".
Sounds plausible. I saw some of DBZ during my own childhood, alongside the original airings of Pokemon and Digimon, but my main memories of DBZ actually come from the Budokai and Legend of Goku videogames. Due to that I don't much care when TFS 'play it straight', as they do things pretty well either way.

They definitely have a deep love for the franchise, after all.

I grew up watching DBZ and have frequently gone back to it and Dragon Ball over the years, but I find that both due to the quality of how they do it when they do take themselves seriously and the depth I find it provides the word and characters, that it just makes the jokes better.

Like, I don't really go back and watch the old TFS episodes cos, yeah they're funny but "Haha, dangly bits!" only works as a joke so many times; while in comparison I go back and watch stuff like "I am not a spectator, I am a warrior!" followed by "I can never read that guy." still feels awesome and funny to me.

A good example would actually be Yugioh Abridged, the most recent episode actually took itself seriously for a few minutes and delivered a really awesome breaking speech followed by a turn about and I freaking loved it (That is now my favorite episode) more than I do internet memes, references or just calling characters dumb and or highlighting plot holes all the time. Not to say there is anything wrong with that humor and TFS has a fair share of it and I love it, but a show sticks with me more when it has something other than pure jokes,I want to keep coming back, I remember it more crisply and clearly because it left an impact.

Last edited:
And I'm not saying they're right, but combined with how I keep hearing disdain for Kai and its changes from the original show, and I'm starting to think that we don't exactly have a definitive version of how best to experience DBZ without a whole lot of downsides.
If you want the best way to enjoy DBZ, build a time machine, travel back to the 1st airing of your preferred dub and watch it on a daily/weekly basis. Then you have your best DBZ experience.

If you want the experience closest to the author's intent, read the manga.
And if you read the manga, you will realize that
  1. Dragonball is a very light hearted story which started as a comedy. The Freezer arc and Cell arc are the most serious parts of DB and still are not as dark in the manga as in the anime. That's why many don't like the Buu arc.
  2. Dragonball is a clusterfuck of a story and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Toriyama was making shit up on a weekly basis. There is no long term story in DB.
  3. just. how. much. filler. there. is. Most famous example: Bardock
  4. Goku is a battle hungry idiot and the anime made him more into an hero than he is. Translations | WIRED Japan 1997: Akira Toriyama interview:
    Wired: There's actually "poison" inside?
    Toriyama: Right. There's how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn't fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I've always been dissatisfied with the "righteous hero"-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn't quite get them to grasp the elements of "poison" that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.
    Btw, Toriyama is talking about the japanese version. To my knowledge the english dub made him even more an hero.
So yeah, DBZA is actually a pretty good way to enjoy the "story" of dragon ball (z). And if you read some side information, you will realize just how much love they put into DBZA. And when it comes to long time planning and pay-off, DBZA is the best version because the other versions are just anime adaption of the weekly realeased manga.

Kind of a miracle that this mess of a story turned out to be the most popular manga in the world...

Also DBZA Freeza is the best adaptation of the character. The dude is downright hilarious.

I hope if they do Bojack they have someone like Tenshinhan or Yamcha be like "Hey maybe we should take/keep those ear rings so we can power up?" but then like, cos of how the battle went down or the movie being non canon they don't get them (which is sad) and express comedic annoyance over it.

If you want the best way to enjoy DBZ, build a time machine, travel back to the 1st airing of your preferred dub and watch it on a daily/weekly basis. Then you have your best DBZ experience.

If you want the experience closest to the author's intent, read the manga.
And if you read the manga, you will realize that
  1. Dragonball is a very light hearted story which started as a comedy. The Freezer arc and Cell arc are the most serious parts of DB and still are not as dark in the manga as in the anime. That's why many don't like the Buu arc.
  2. Dragonball is a clusterfuck of a story and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Toriyama was making shit up on a weekly basis. There is no long term story in DB.
  3. just. how. much. filler. there. is. Most famous example: Bardock
  4. Goku is a battle hungry idiot and the anime made him more into an hero than he is. Translations | WIRED Japan 1997: Akira Toriyama interview:Btw, Toriyama is talking about the japanese version. To my knowledge the english dub made him even more an hero.
So yeah, DBZA is actually a pretty good way to enjoy the "story" of dragon ball (z). And if you read some side information, you will realize just how much love they put into DBZA. And when it comes to long time planning and pay-off, DBZA is the best version because the other versions are just anime adaption of the weekly realeased manga.

Kind of a miracle that this mess of a story turned out to be the most popular manga in the world...
Goku's actually much more Heroic than most give him credit for, at least early on in the story.

Young Goku was killing people he easily could have taken alive who would have been no further threat.

We are talking about the setting that has a definitive afterlife with the most revolving door in fiction.

Killing foes or losing comrades in pitched combat there isn't quite the same as in other settings where death is not only permanent, the afterlife is not a simple phone call away.

Besides, if Achillies, Hercules, and Samson can be described as Heroic despite their massive body counts, I don't see why Goku can't get a pass.

Besides, if Achillies, Hercules, and Samson can be described as Heroic despite their massive body counts, I don't see why Goku can't get a pass.

Greek heroes are not something to be admired, though (and Samson fits in the same mold). They're often a cautionary tale, usually on hubris. So I guess you could apply the same standards to Goku and call him 'heroic' in the Greek sense of the word, but it's not much of a compliment.

Greek heroes are not something to be admired, though (and Samson fits in the same mold). They're often a cautionary tale, usually on hubris. So I guess you could apply the same standards to Goku and call him 'heroic' in the Greek sense of the word, but it's not much of a compliment.
I mean, didn't Goku's own creator call his desire for battle poisonous and say he wasn't really heroic?

I was a little bit disappointed that they dropped the bit with the rest of the gang helping out against Cell, but that's more because it's my favourite part of that arc.

I mean, didn't Goku's own creator call his desire for battle poisonous and say he wasn't really heroic?

That's kind of the point though.

He's this larger than life figure, that does these great things that benefit a huge amount of people.

It's just that he's only in it for the fight. Not out of any feeling of actual empathy for those threatened by the foes he fights.

Heroic in an older fashion, which fits given the parallels to Sun Wukong. Less superhero, more "I single handily slaughter armies and change the course of world history in my fights."

Gohan and Future Trunks are the more modern heroes of the setting.

We are talking about the setting that has a definitive afterlife with the most revolving door in fiction.

Killing foes or losing comrades in pitched combat there isn't quite the same as in other settings where death is not only permanent, the afterlife is not a simple phone call away.
Except none of that was established when young Goku did that. Also none of the people young Goku killed got revived.

That's kind of the point though.

He's this larger than life figure, that does these great things that benefit a huge amount of people.

It's just that he's only in it for the fight. Not out of any feeling of actual empathy for those threatened by the foes he fights.
Goku, hero by accident.

VEGETA: All right, would anyone care to explain...THE F***?!
PICCOLO: I'm kind of afraid to because I'm pretty sure that would involve giving Goku credit for this.
GOKU: The takeaway here is, you're welcome.
PICCOLO: The ends don't justifies the means, Goku!
GOKU: You're mean!

----
Is DBZA episode 60 part 2 gone?

Back