Dovah Queen, Dragonborn Rising (Game of Thrones x Skyrim)

Oh, now we're finally getting somewhere. Very nice. I love how this chapter ended.

Glad you're enjoying it. Yes, it took a while to get here, but I wanted to take time to get here. Daenerys didn't need to upend magical theory in chapter one. Doing so during her very first day of formal training is overachieving enough.

This is obviously very significant, but I don't know enough about Elder Scrolls to know why.

I'll spend a chunk of next chapter having Faralda explain it to Daenerys, so details are coming.

This is obviously very significant, but I don't know enough about Elder Scrolls to know why.

It's not afaik deep ES lore or anything... Unless I'm mistaken authoress is making 99% of the, eh, "mechanics" here up -- which is good because Skyrim doesn't say a bloody thing about any of it, it just gives you a list of spells to cast, and that's great, but it's not really magical.

I liked the character interactions, everyone 'till now has a recognizable voice and that's always nice when I just cant for the life of me associate names with a character unless it is a recurrent one.

The next chapter is going to be great and I can't wait to see how other mages react to what Daenerys does.

It's not afaik deep ES lore or anything... Unless I'm mistaken authoress is making 99% of the, eh, "mechanics" here up -- which is good because Skyrim doesn't say a bloody thing about any of it, it just gives you a list of spells to cast, and that's great, but it's not really magical.
Daggerfall, Oblivion and Morrowind go into a lot more detail about exactly how magic works in TES, though this is complicated somewhat by the fact that some aspects of magic actually change after each game due to the events in said game. There's also a ton of detail about such things in the many various books scattered all throughout five of the six games (no books in Arena), but that is complicated by some of the books contradicting each other and all of them being written from an in-universe perspective and thus potentially not accurate.
Skyrim does massively simplify the magic system for gameplay purposes, though some of that is partially justified by the Dragonborn being Dragonborn: The Dragonborn has the soul of a Dragon, Dragon souls are eternal, immortal and unchanging and may in fact be fragments of Akatosh (or AKA, of which Akatosh is a much larger fragment) rather than 'real' souls like those of mortal beings, which explains why they behave so differently from normal souls. (Being absorbed by other Dragons, cannot be soul trapped, etc.)
Dragons are intensely magical entities, arguably as magical as the Aedra\Daedra and are actually closer to the Aedra\Daedra in nature than they are to mortal creatures due to the nature of their souls. Magic comes naturally to Dragons and thus to the Dragonborn as well, represented in-game by the Dragonborn's ability to learn spells instantly with the appropriate spellbook. Obviously learning magic instantly is exaggerated for gameplay purposes, but the underlying concept that the Dragonborn learns magic very quickly and easily compared to normal mortals is correct.
(Another in-game representation of the Dragonborn's special soul is what happens if you try to read an Elder Scroll; as the Dragonborn lacks the appropriate training to do so properly, they go blind. But the Dragonborn's soul is the soul of a Dragon; immortal, eternal and unchanging. So it goes 'nope!' and promptly reverses the blindness, returning the Dragonborn's sight.)

All that said, due to the issues with the vast majority of magical information coming from in-universe sources, the underlying mechanics of magic in TES are very much open to interpretation. Various generalities, such as magic ultimately originating from the energies of Aetherius that flow through the sun\star rifts in Oblivion and into Mundus, can be confirmed beyond any reasonable doubt. But the precise metaphysics of how those energies are interacted with to perform magic and soforth is very much up in the air. Faralda here is another one of those in-universe sources, and being a Master Destruction Mage does not mean that she is necessarily correct about exactly how magic works, merely that she is close enough for practical purposes. The Mages Guilds of Tamriel have spent thousands of years studying magic, not to mention others such as the Psijic Order, and none of them truly understand exactly how it works. Even the Et'ada do not know all there is to know about magic, and they were born from magic and are the native inhabitants of Aetherius!

So take everything that people say about TES magic with a grain of salt; no-one really knows how that shit works, just that it does.

Last edited:
Aaaand no one is pointing out the obvious Worm shoutout. I'm not mad, just slightly bemused that you included it. Given the company this forum keeps, I actually would've been more surprised if you didn't include it.

Then again, if Taillour winds up with bug control magic, I expect half the thread will go "fucking called it" when really they had no idea you snuck this thing in there. Y'all can quote me on this. Screenshot it, if you must.

I take payment in gunpla, SH Figuarts, Super Sentai DVDs, and check if I turn out to be right.

So take everything that people say about TES magic with a grain of salt; no-one really knows how that shit works, just that it does.
TES Illusion school appears to actually be targeted low-level reality warping, at some stage you just need to throw up you hands and go with it. Clairvoyance is just lol-tastic to try to explain

Clairvoyance is just lol-tastic to try to explain
No, it can be explained perfectly well: One of the developers played Dead Space not too long before having the idea of streamlining quests even further... In Morrowind, I got told to ask around at the corner club, as that's where my contact likes to hang out. In Skyrim, I would have known exactly where he was at all times the moment the word "contact" left the quest giver's mouth.

I'm making some stuff up, but doing trying to do so in a framework that respects Skyrim lore. There is a lot about magic in the game, but very little about the details on how to cast it. That's a good thing, because put too much description into your magic system and it usually feels less magical. I do have sources...

In 2920
The charm is intensified by the energy you bring to it, by your own skills, just as all spells are," he said. "Your imagination and your willpower are the keys. There is no need for a spell to give you a resistance to air, or a resistance to flowers, and after you cast the charm, you must forget there is even a need for a spell to give you resistance to fire. Do not confuse what I am saying: resistance is not about ignoring the fire's reality. You will feel the substance of flame, the texture of it, its hunger, and even the heat of it, but you will know that it will not hurt or injure you.

So here we have imagination and willpower being key, along with a having to simultaneously keep the idea of fire in mind while it cannot harm you... Very Through the Looking Glass stuff.

We get another example in the lore book Breathing Water which talks about the importance of keeping your mind open to infinite possibilities is a crucial component to casting Alteration magic:
He kept his mind on the world of possibilities, that books could sing, that green was blue, that that water was air

Now, I did name the three components Will, Focus, and Seeming. As well as declaring them the three key elements.

Faralda here is another one of those in-universe sources, and being a Master Destruction Mage does not mean that she is necessarily correct about exactly how magic works, merely that she is close enough for practical purposes.

True. Daenerys was also receiving the Spellcrafting 101 lecture for noobs. So Faralda was greatly simplifying things even about what she thinks she knows.

Still, I will be following up on the ramifications of repeatedly twisting your mind into a pretzel in order to cast spells next chapter. :)

Aaaand no one is pointing out the obvious Worm shoutout. I'm not mad, just slightly bemused that you included it. Given the company this forum keeps, I actually would've been more surprised if you didn't include it.

Then again, if Taillour winds up with bug control magic, I expect half the thread will go "fucking called it" when really they had no idea you snuck this thing in there. Y'all can quote me on this. Screenshot it, if you must.

I take payment in gunpla, SH Figuarts, Super Sentai DVDs, and check if I turn out to be right.

Sorry, I can only pay in quatloos. Have a fistfull. Quatloos are only viable currency in the unlikely event that you are ROBed into a self-insertion.

And I'll spoiler things that I'm not planning to have Taillour have bug magic. This is more of a cameo or an easter egg, with the added advantage of foreshadowing that that the girls Daenerys is supposed to be supervising aren't as nice as they're pretending to be.

TES Illusion school appears to actually be targeted low-level reality warping, at some stage you just need to throw up you hands and go with it. Clairvoyance is just lol-tastic to try to explain

Nah, the Seeming for most Illusion magic revolves around first convincing yourself that something else is real. Example, to cast invisibility you must first convince yourself that no one can see you. That's the Seeming. With the Focus you then have to project that onto everyone else.

For Clairvoyance you just have to convince yourself that you know where to find whatever it is you're looking for, then target yourself and low and behold there is the path.

I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Sorry, I can only pay in quatloos. Have a fistfull. Quatloos are only viable currency in the unlikely event that you are ROBed into a self-insertion.

And I'll spoiler things that I'm not planning to have Taillour have bug magic. This is more of a cameo or an easter egg, with the added advantage of foreshadowing that that the girls Daenerys is supposed to be supervising aren't as nice as they're pretending to be.
Well shit I didn't even catch the reference. I feel like I have let down my years of fanfictioning experience.

So... no Solstheim spiders, then? :wink:
Grenade spiders are best spiders.

I can never get over the image of the Dragonborn running around with a backpack full of magical spiders, every conversation in the game is made better when you imagine that the Dragonborn has this massive bulging backpack on with twitching spider legs poking out of it in odd directions, along with various belt pouches and whatnot with the same.

So sad that none of the backpack mods have visuals for being full of spiders.

Alright, I've finished my first draft of Chapter 11. I'll still give it one more pass, probably later tonight. After that it will ready for review. Unfortunately, my usual Beta, YDdraigGoch94, is busy with exams for the next few weeks. So... anyone up for reviewing my draft before it goes out? I at least want it reviewed for by someone with strong grammar skills, but I wouldn't mind feedback on characterization, plot, consistency, etc. Let me know if you are interested.

Usual rules for Betas apply. Keep comments to me and other betas, no posting spoilers to the boards.

So, what would be a good tag? Somehow I don't think "I promise it doesn't suck" would work. Maybe "Not a walkthrough" ?
I must apologize for getting backt to you so late, it was a busy weekend.

"Not a walkthrough" is a definitive candidate, maybe add something in the vein of "not a stompfest" and "gotta work for your skills"?

I have quite enjoyed reading this fic so far and look forward to future updates. I also finally decided to pull out my copy of Skyrim and start playing it for the first time. It's Sat around for years with many other great games I've never played.

Grenade spiders are best spiders.
Obviously you never played Baldur's Gate (1) or don't remember.

Those teleporting poison spiders with normal weapon immunity and web spell are responsible for thousands of bhallspawn deaths, bless them and avoid their area at low levels.

baldursgate.fandom.com

Sword Spider

The Sword Spider is one of three different high-level Spiders encountered in the original Baldur's Gate, the other two being the Wraith Spider and Phase Spider. They are one of the more interesting enemies to be found, as they exhibit some fairly deadly and unique abilities. They are fairly...

Last edited:
Back