Dovah Queen, Dragonborn Rising (Game of Thrones x Skyrim)

Huh, no Psijic interrupt. That may be a good or a bad thing, impossible to tell at this point.

Huh, no Psijic interrupt. That may be a good or a bad thing, impossible to tell at this point.
Possibly a rebalancing of the Order given that there was no explaination of how they knew stufff was happening (or why they knew the Eye of Magnus was sitting in a dungeon and never went to get it). Alternately because Faralda wants to keep this secret, unlike Tolfdir, Ancano never finds out and the Mages Guild questline never starts.

Possibly a rebalancing of the Order given that there was no explaination of how they knew stufff was happening (or why they knew the Eye of Magnus was sitting in a dungeon and never went to get it). Alternately because Faralda wants to keep this secret, unlike Tolfdir, Ancano never finds out and the Mages Guild questline never starts.
Like I said, could be good or bad, it depends. The Psijic Order are one of the kings of Magical Bullshit(TM) in Tamriel, so them pulling some prophecy cheatery out of their asses and predicting that the Dragonborn is about to get involved in some Serious Business that they should put their sticky fingers into isn't at all unreasonable, but with things going differently from the norm there are multiple possible reasons why Dany might have dodged the Psijic Interrupt, it's too early to tell for sure.

The Psijics are stupid powerful, and like most powerful magical things in TES they are quite inscrutable with regards to motives and reasons behind their actions or lack thereof. Despite how involved the Order has been in history, very little is actually known about them, so no-one really knows why they do what they do. They presumably have their reasons, but whether those reasons would make sense to anyone outside of the Psijic Order is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
It's a lot of things. Partly because I think that Quaranir sounds a lot Sybil Trelawny in the College of Winterhold questline. He makes general statements about doom, doom, DOOOOM, but doesn't do much. Partly because I don't like characters in Elder Scrolls instantly knowing things that take place hundreds of miles away. (This will also apply to the Greybeards almost immediately learning that Dany killed a dragon.) And finally, because they have no reason to be cocky that things will work out. Even if they have some ability to fortell the future, there is good evidence that the Eye of Magnus has the potential to create a dragon break. Dragon breaks cannot be forseen by prophecy, just like the Elder Scrolls. If they really knew what was at stake, they would know that there was a good chance of it blowing up in a big way.

In general, I'm sticking to canon, but in this case I felt the need to tweak the quest. If it bothers you, then let me wave my hands real quick. Whoosh. Whoosh. Daenerys is from outside the world and difficult to forsee with prophecy. Whoosh, whoosh, jazz hands.

Oh shit it's the jazz hands, chaos reigns, madness shrouds the world, nothing is sacred! *Hisssssss*

All diets need variety and what do the Chaurus eat?
You don't think its odd that without exception, where you find Falmer you find Glowing Mushrooms?
Well Chaurus eggs are light blue\teal, so they probably eat glowing mushrooms, you also sometimes find remains in the Chaurus pens, so they're presumably omnivorous and eat Skeevers and the occasional person as well. Skeevers, being big ole rats, are definitely omnivorous and thus presumably eat anything and everything they can fit into their mouths and chew on, including glowing mushrooms, Chaurus and the occasional person.

Considering that glowing mushrooms are almost ubiquitous throughout all of Skyrim's caves, I'd say it's less like the Falmer farm them and more that they just expect them to be everywhere, and they are not disappointed. Plus there's also those giant shrooms in Blackreach that are probably edible if you are desperate enough, and of course idiot men and mer just keep sending doomed expeditions into Dwemer ruins, which basically function as the Falmer equivalent of a fast food delivery service.

Last edited:
Like I said, could be good or bad, it depends. The Psijic Order are one of the kings of Magical Bullshit(TM) in Tamriel, so them pulling some prophecy cheatery out of their asses and predicting that the Dragonborn is about to get involved in some Serious Business that they should put their sticky fingers into isn't at all unreasonable, but with things going differently from the norm there are multiple possible reasons why Dany might have dodged the Psijic Interrupt, it's too early to tell for sure.

The Psijics are stupid powerful, and like most powerful magical things in TES they are quite inscrutable with regards to motives and reasons behind their actions or lack thereof. Despite how involved the Order has been in history, very little is actually known about them, so no-one really knows why they do what they do. They presumably have their reasons, but whether those reasons would make sense to anyone outside of the Psijic Order is anyone's guess.
They're the Psijics. No matter what choice you made in response to their plan, they already planned for it. Just because they didn't show themselves now doesn't mean they aren't still involved.

They're the Psijics. No matter what choice you made in response to their plan, they already planned for it. Just because they didn't show themselves now doesn't mean they aren't still involved.
Oh I'm not trying to suggest they're not involved, by default I assume that the Psijic Order is involved in everything unless definitively proven otherwise, but with things going significantly differently from 'canon' there are many possible reasons why they might have decided not to poke the Dany right now. It's impossible to tell at this point.

Chapter 23
Chapter 23
Middas, the 11th of First Seed, Year 202 of the 4th Era​

Now that she had released Iiz, the shout settled down inside her to wait until she called it forth again. The Word Wall was silent now, and everyone was staring at her. "I suppose it is obvious, but I learned a new Shout. It's Dovahzul for ice. It means the freezing of things, not just the coldness, but whatever power existed in the wall is quiet now. At least it is for me. I can even read the inscription:

"Here lies the body of
Iglif Ice-Blood who met his end
not in glorious combat, but at
the cruel touch of the withering sickness."​

It frustrated her a little that she hadn't heard all the words pronounced. However, now that the chanting was done, she was puzzled. Why had only Iiz affected her so deeply? Why hadn't morokei vukein, glorious combat, or any of the other words been etched upon her being like Iiz? Had the words not been fully and correctly pronounced? Were some words more important than others? She didn't know.

And they were still staring at her. "Maybe you should all try getting closer to the wall? Maybe it only fell silent for me once I learned the word."

"It is worth trying, I suppose," agreed Faralda, but her words smoldered with suppressed anger.

Faralda and Brelyna felt nothing. That obviously bothered Faralda greatly, but Brelyna not at all. More surprisingly, Sofija did feel something.

"I can't hear it, but when I place my hand on this word, Ice, I can feel a faint vibration. Does that mean I have some talent for Shouting?"

Daenerys shrugged. "I don't know."

.oOo.​

Clairvoyance guided them out a tunnel on the other side of the Word Wall chamber and along a path that led generally up. They encountered more draugr, but Faralda made short work of them. They eventually emerged from a corridor that overlooked the entrance chamber. It was blocked by a portcullis which opened by a lever. From there they just had to climb down to return to where they had made camp. No one was there. No doubt Onmund, J'zargo and Arniel Gane were out looking for them.

"Before we climb down, we need to decide what we will say about the orb," said Faralda.

"What is there to decide?" asked Daenerys. "Arniel Gane isn't going away, and we're only the second of five planned expeditions to Saarthal. We don't have a way to move the orb, nor can we collapse the corridors leading to it. It is going to be found. If we lie about it, then we tarnish our reputations for nothing." Which she would not do. Honor was very important to Nords. While it was not as important to her, she wasn't going to lie for something so pointless. "We could simply not mention the orb and hope that it somehow isn't discovered, but when has just hoping things turn out right ever worked?"

Faralda nodded. She laid a hand on Daenerys's shoulder. "I know you are not impressed with Archmage Savos, but he is a very powerful and talented mage. The College of Winterhold has many resources at its disposal. This could be an important discovery. I hate that Ancano and through him the Thalmor will become aware of the existence of the orb, but he is only one mage. The College is dedicated to the study of pure magic and not politics. While they have their flaws, I can think of no better custodian for this object."

Daenerys noted that Faralda referred to the College as 'they' and not 'we', a clear sign that Faralda's allegiance had shifted despite the obvious frustration she felt at not being able to learn a Shout at the Word Wall. She was also arguing as an advisor to a leader instead of a partner. When exactly had that happened?

"My thane?" interrupted Sofija. "If you want another option, you are a Thane of Winterhold, even if you are not sworn to Jarl Kraldar. You could take it to him instead."

"No," replied Daenerys with a shake of her head. "Jarl Kraldar has but one mage in his service and that mage lacks the skills to study the orb. No, Faralda is right. Alerting the College is the only reasonable choice. Although I will inform the jarl. Come on, everyone is probably worried about us. Let's tell them we're safe and get something to eat."

.oOo.​

Naturally, everyone wanted to see the orb, so the next day Daenerys led the entire expedition back to the chamber where they left it. Arniel Gane, J'zargo and Onmund were all impressed but just as clueless. The next day they returned to Winterhold. Daenerys, with Sofija following her, stopped to have a private audience with Jarl Kraldar. It was a friendly audience, just her, the jarl and their housecarls in a private room. He even served her mulled wine without her having to ask for it.

"That is a very interesting tale," said the jarl after Daenerys shared the discovery. "You will keep me posted of what the College discovers?"

"For as long as I remain at the College, although that won't be much longer."

"Really? You were only recently promoted to apprentice. Are you going to make adept so soon?"

Daenerys paused and weighed how much to reveal. The fact of her departure would hardly be a secret, but should she reveal her plans? Nords didn't particularly like raiding Nord barrows, but Jarl Balgruuf had ordered an expedition, and his soldiers had no problem looting the dead. While Winterhold wasn't near the size of Whiterun, Jarl Kraldar still had numerous warriors sworn to his service. If she could convince him to lend her just a few of them, it would eliminate the need to hire mercenaries.

"No, I am still an apprentice, but I am leaving the College anyway. As soon as the mountain passes thaw, I am going to be exploring some old Nord barrows." She held up a hand to cut off any objections. "However, I'm not a simple graverobber. Have you ever heard of Word Walls?"

The jarl shook his head. "No, I can't say that I have."

"They are stone walls inscribed in Dovahzul, the Dragon Tongue, I encountered a Word Wall in Bleak Falls Barrow and learned a Shout from it. I have researched Word Walls at the College. They are located all over Skyrim, but particularly in barrows. I'm going to seek them out." Of course, she would also be looting the tombs for everything of value, but at least she had justification for being down there.

"Interesting. I have two questions. First, why not simply seek out the Greybeards?"

"I will be heading south. I may indeed seek out the Greybeards. However, I have no intention to devote my life to quiet contemplation atop a mountain.

"Understandable," agreed Jarl Kraldar. "You have the bold heart of a warrior. I never thought the path of a mage suited you. I can't see you simply studying atop a mountain until you are old and grey."

Daenerys didn't know about having the heart of a warrior. She was born to rule, not to fight… and she remembered burning King's Landing and where dreams of power had led her. She forced a smile she didn't feel and continued the conversation. "I don't know if they would even teach me unless I commit to joining their order. I'm not sure how they select students or if they even accept women."

"They do," said Kraldar. "You will have to climb the Seven Thousand Steps up to High Hrothgar. and present yourself. The Greybeards will then test you to see if you have the gift for Shouting. I made the journey when I was in my teens, as do the sons of many Nord lords and thanes."

"But their order is not restricted to Nord noblemen?" Daenerys had wondered about that, but she hadn't found anything written down.

"No, they will test anyone who climbs the Seven Thousand Steps. Noble, commoner, man, woman… as far as I know they'd test a mer or even a sload if one managed to climb the steps. It's just that few commoners can afford to make the pilgrimage and few who aren't Nords ever try. You can Shout. They'll accept you."

"But only if I join their order?"

He nodded. "True, but you can also leave at any time. Jarl Ulfric did. He spent a decade studying with them but left to fight in the Great War."

Daenerys nodded her head. "Thank you. I probably will visit them eventually. I have a route planned and I will be stopping at several barrows along the way first."

"Ahh, and that brings me to my second question, what barrows do you plan to explore?"

"Ygnol barrow first. I have the key to its central chamber in my possession. After that I'll head west past Windhelm. There are three barrows along the path to Whiterun: Ironbind, Silverdrift, and Korvanjund." The Nightgate Inn was also centrally located to those barrows. The small village and trading post that was located there would be a good place to rest and sell any loot they found. However, Kraldar didn't need to know those details. "I might visit Volunruud and Silent Moons Barrow as well."

"You have the key to Ygnol Barrow." Jarl Kraldar laughed. "Oh, how the gods favor you, Daenerys Targaryen. How would you like to depart this week? I'm heeding your advice about lacking a navy. We're building two new ships, but we'll have to man them. So, I've kept our one ship, the Sea Dagger busy to train more sailors. It's just a karve, only fourteen seats, but I've been sending it out on patrols with a mix of experienced and fresh sailors. Yngol Barrow is at the mouth of the White River. We could set sail in the next few days and accompany you there."

"We?" Daenerys was amazed by this offer. A large part of the reason that she hadn't left yet was because the passes were still frozen. Not only was Jarl Kraldar suggesting that they sail there saving her weeks of waiting and walking, but he seemed to be offering to come himself and bring along a more help than she dreamed possible. "You would be coming as well? With fourteen warriors? And just to drop me off at Yngol Barrow or joining me inside?"

"Fourteen warriors?" Jarl Kraldar laughed again. "The Sea Dagger has fourteen seats. Two oars to each seat. It takes a minimum of twenty-eight men to man her oars, but it will accommodate two men for each oar. That's how we have been training, one experienced sailor and one novice per oar. That's fifty-six men just for the oars. Then we have room for a few more near the mast. And, yes, I meant joining you in Yngol barrow. Nord longships do fight at sea by ramming, but Imperial ships with their mages and ballistae often have the advantage when fighting at sea. Where Nord longships excel is at raiding. Our ships have shallow drafts and can come ashore on almost any beach. Assaulting Yngol Barrow would be good training for my men."

For his men? This was still far too generous. Fifty-six men would tear through Yngol Barrow like her Unsullied cut through the slavers of Astapor. "But why would you accompany us personally?"

This time Jarl Kraldar smiled and wagged a finger. "Not this time. I do have a reason for going to Yngol Barrow myself, but you have your secrets and I have mine. If you come with us, you'll find out."

"Very well, keep your secrets." She was more amused than offended. "I can wait a few days to find out at Yngol Barrow."

"Good." He clapped his hands together. "And afterward we can take you all the way to Windhelm. I need to tell Jarl Ulfric that I have taken over as Jarl of Winterhold. I planned to send a messenger, but Yngol Barrow is but a short distance from Windhelm. I may as well continue on and swear my allegiance to his face. If you come with us, that will take you farther in the direction that you wanted to go. I can also present you to Jarl Ulrfic while we're in Windhelm. You had good insights into the war. If you really want the Stormcloaks to pursue peace, this would be your chance to speak with the man who could make that happen."

"Jarl Ulric… I have actually met him before – at Helgen. I couldn't speak Tamrelic then." He was the reason she almost got her head chopped off. To be fair he was only part of the reason. The larger part was Imperials not caring enough to even try to sort the innocent from the guilty. She wasn't entirely comfortable at the prospect of meeting him at his seat of power. She wasn't sure if he was merely hungry for power, or if he really believed in his cause. Was he the kind of king who would throw her into prison or even kill her merely for suggesting an alternate path? She was reminded of the diffident way Varys and Tyrion would advise her. Speaking truth to power was a dangerous occupation. It wasn't her war. She had no obligation to put her neck on the line. Except, that people she cared about lived in Skyrim. Yes, it would have some risk, but she could speak her mind without three dragons watching her back. "It will be an… interesting challenge to try to explain my views to him, but I accept. My party and I will be glad to accompany you."

"Your party? How many do you plan to bring? There is little room for passengers on a longship. Also, I should warn you. You will lose the respect of the crew if you don't take a turn rowing. I'll take a turn rowing myself. If Jarl Ulfric himself traveled in a longship, he would take a turn rowing. I can pair you with a strong and experienced rower, and let you rotate out frequently. That will be acceptable considering that you are slight young woman, but you'll need to row some of the time."

Rowing a longship wasn't something she was looking forward to doing, but it would save her time. When ruling Meereen she had followed their customs. This Nord custom at least made sense. It proved that a leader was willing to undertake the same burdens they asked of their men. "Then I'll row. As for how many I plan to bring: myself, Sofija, of course, plus Faralda, who is a Mistress of Destruction, maybe one other, Brelyna, an apprentice of Conjuration." Daenerys looked back behind her to where Sofija stood. "I assume you would take a turn rowing."

Sofija nodded. "Yes, my thane. As the jarl said, any true Nord warrior takes a turn rowing on a longship."

"So that would only be one or two passengers." Jarl Kraldar nodded in approval. "And no sailor would object to having a Mistress of Destruction onboard. Masters of that school are particularly feared in naval warfare. With her not taking a turn, no one will complain too much if an apprentice joins as well."

Since Jarl Kraldar seemed very pleased about whatever secret he was keeping, Daenerys decided to push for a little more. "After Yngol Barrow, if there are some of your warriors who still need to be blooded, I could use some warriors to accompany my party to the other barrows."

"Hmm, I will think upon that Daenerys Targaryen. I'm sure that many of my men would be glad to follow you for a share of the loot, or even for the glory and honor alone. However, I need all the experienced sailors I can find. Building up a navy from almost nothing is no easy task."

Daenerys nodded. "Of course, I understand your need." She even thought that building up naval forces was important. That's why she'd planted the seed. "I can always hire mercenaries, but one man who fights for honor is worth three who fight for gold. If you could spare even two or three, it would help my cause greatly."

"Perhaps, Daenerys Targaryen, after Yngol Barrow, but tell me first – what is your cause? You seek to learn Shouts, but is power and personal gain all you seek?"

Daenerys frowned. While Jarl Kraldar looked like a warrior, he had a brain behind that bushy beard. She still didn't know why she had been brought to Tamriel, and she was still reluctant to fully declare herself. However, she was growing tired of hiding, and she trusted Jarl Kraldar more than most. Besides, if she wanted the soldiers, she had to give him an answer. "You asked me once if I was Dragonborn. I told you that I have never slain a dragon. I think the gods are guiding me and that someday soon I will face a dragon. On that day we'll find out whether I am Dragonborn or not." It wasn't just the dragon on the mountain that haunted her dreams. She had seen others, and sometimes she fought them. "I know that I am not yet ready. The stories say that Nords died by the thousands when they warred against the dragons, but they won. I need to learn how to kill a dragon, so I seek to master the Thu'um."

Jarl Kraldar took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Some say that Alduin himself is behind this return of dragons, and we're living in the end times, but I chose hope. Nobody else is doing anything about the dragon attacks." For a long moment, he just stared at her. "I could write you off as a crazy fool, but there is more to you than meets the eye. You'll have your men, Daenerys Targaryen. May you find what you seek."

.oOo.​

Daenerys knew that Faralda had been disappointed by not being able to feel anything from the Word Wall. She even thought that it was possible that her mentor would choose to stay at the College and study the orb rather than follow their plan to leave. Her fears proved to be groundless.

"I will admit that it is a setback. I had hoped to be able to learn a Shout from a Word Wall, but if it had been that easy, then others would surely have discovered it by now. Hela Thrice-Versed would certainly have noticed and mentioned it in her book on Word Walls. We can experiment. The next time we find a Word Wall, you approach to activate it, but then back off. Maybe once you have activated it, then I can learn the word. The plan is still to go to the Greybeards eventually?"

"Yes," agreed Daenerys.

"Then I will accompany you. I doubt the Greybeards would indulge the curiosity of an Altmer, but I believe they will accept you."

Daenerys nodded firmly. "And I will do what I can to convince the Greybeards to assist you in learning to Shout."

.oOo.​

Brelyna chose to stay and study at the College. It wasn't really a surprise to Daenerys. Conjuration magic was in Brelyna's blood the same way that dragon's blood was in hers. Brelyna had her own path to follow. Daenerys expected they would meet again. After all, she had sworn to aid Brelyna when she was ready to pursue her revenge against Neloth.

Word of her leaving swept through the school. She was asked about her decision and simply said that she was following her master on her sabbatical. That was even true. The discovery of the orb also overshadowed rumors of her departure. While the school rumor mill hadn't yet determined exactly what they had found under Saarthal, it was common knowledge that they had discovered a powerful magical artifact.

She was taken aback when Taillour offered to swear allegiance and join as well. Although it wasn't a complete surprise. Taillour had joined spellsword training and stubbornly kept attending. While she didn't have a natural aptitude, she had been making up for it with determination. The girl wasn't even gifted at Conjuration. Her strength was Illusion magic. While Daenerys was touched by the offer, the younger girl was simply far too young. Rather than simply turn her down she had Taillour walk with her as she went up one of the towers that opened onto the roof.

Taillour looked around puzzled. "It's a nice view, but why are we here?"

"I appreciate your determination, but I am afraid that you are still too young and inexperienced to come with me. However, I have another job for you. It's important and your skill at Illusion magic would be an asset."

The young girl smiled broadly showing a lot of teeth. "Really? What is it?"

Daenerys pointed to some nests under the eaves of the roof. "What do you see up there?"

"Bird nests?"

"Yes," agreed Daenerys. "But not just any birds. Those are raven nests. I want you to raise ravens for me. You'll need to buy or have a blacksmith make you a cage for them. It will need a roof to keep out the rain. Set it up here, use your Calm spell to make the birds docile. Move their nests, eggs and all into the cage. Then you'll need to come up here regularly to feed them. Make sure they have a source of water as well. Once the eggs hatch you can open the door so they'll come and go. You won't have to feed them quite as often. They won't abandon their young. By the time their fledglings are ready to leave the nest, they should be used to getting free food from you."

"You're just making this up." Taillour kicked at the roof. "I thought you said this was important."

"Taillour, this is important. I'm going to be giving you thirty gold for the cage. I'm not rich enough to spend thirty gold on a made-up story. I would like you to keep it as quiet as you can. Nobody really comes up here. If you're found out, just say it's a project for Brelyna. I'll clear it with her. If you want to go over and beyond, learn about ravens, what they eat, how to care for them."

"I don't understand. Why would ravens be important? Is there some kind of magic ritual that involves ravens?"

"No, not magic, but this is no small thing. It will take a long time to get started, but it has a power of its own. Something that can be more powerful than magic in its own way." While Taillour looked skeptical, timely information was vitally important in both war and peace. "You will be the first Master of Ravens that Tamriel has ever seen."

"Master of Ravens? I'd rather come with you," replied Tailour sulkily. "But, I'll do it."

.oOo.​

Three days later at dawn, a small group from the college saw them off. J'zargo wished that the moons watch and smile on them. Onmund awkwardly wished them good-bye. Daenerys and Brelyna exchanged tearful hugs reassuring each other that they would meet again. Similar good-byes were being said up and down the wharf where the Sea Dagger was moored. Wives, daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, and grandparents, all wished the departing warriors safe sailing and success in battle. They kept well back from the ship as it was getting ready and loaded up.

The Sea Dagger itself was different from any ship she'd ever seen before. It was tiny compared to the ship that she sailed upon when she'd taken her armies across the Narrow Sea. It had a shallow draft and rode low in the water. There was no deck or holds, just a hull with a mast and benches for the rowers. Supplies were stowed under the large benches, and near the mast where the ship was broader and wider. For a raiding vessel, there didn't seem to be much space to store any plunder.

The ship was crewed by more than the fifty-six men and a few women that manned the oars. In addition to herself and Faralda, a half-dozen others clustered near the mast. The captain, Vitus the Large, sat at the stern and manned the rudder. His name must have been a joke because he was small for a Nord. Jarl Kraldar sat on one of the seats manning an oar as the Sea Dagger rowed out to sea. Quietly Daenerys asked Sofija about the others standing with them near the mast. One of them was an old relic of a Talos priest. He was understandable, but the rest looked fit to her.

"They're taking it easy on us, my Thane. We're women and the others are young boys. It's not meant as an insult. Those boys likely haven't been to sea before. They will let us rotate in and take our turn at the oars after the crews have found their rhythm. We also won't be rowing the entire way. The wind is from the north, so we just need to clear the coast. Then they will hoist sail and let the wind do most of the work. Although we'll still need to break out the oars frequently. There are icebergs, many small islands, and barely submerged sandbars all the way to the White River."

Daenerys nodded feeling relieved. While the rippling muscles on display was a sight worth watching, she hadn't been looking forward to rowing for hours on end. However, she had to admit that they seemed to be moving at considerable speed. She was no sailor, but it felt like they were moving faster than any horse. Sofija proved to be correct as Jarl Kraldar soon called for them to ship their oars and set sail.

A few hours later Daenerys got her first turn at the oars.

Sitting beside her on the seat was a solid of an oak tree of a man with hair almost as blond as hers and old enough to be her father. He introduced himself as Val, son of Lars. "So, I hear this is your first time. Don't worry, I'll be gentle."

"Well, that would make you different from my first husband. He was rough and callous, but he improved with time." Daenerys deliberately exaggerated her words, she expected that the crudity would appeal to the caliber of men rowing the Sea Dagger.

The barks of laughter around her confirmed that she had judged her audience correctly. "She got you there, Val!"

The rest of the conversation was cut off as the drum began to beat marking time. Daenerys felt like she was contributing very little to moving the oar, but she put her back into and rowed. This was a rite of passage in Nord culture. She may have lacked the muscle of the men around her, but she wasn't the only woman rowing. Val son of Lars was certainly pulling more than her, but she was determined not to give up. She thought that all her mornings and afternoons practicing and exercising would have prepared her for this, but before long her arms, legs, belly, and back were all burning with the effort to propel the Sea Dagger across the ocean.

The Talos priest stopped beside her. His hands and face were deeply wrinkled and his narrow white beard fell down to his belly. He gently laid a hand on her shoulder. "Talos be with you."

Suddenly all the pain and exhaustion washed away in a flow of healing. Leaving her refreshed and renewed. Before she could thank him, the priest had moved on. She had seen him walking slowly up and down the ship, pausing at times to heal a rower before, but she hadn't thought much of it. Now she was deeply thankful to be on the receiving end. When she healed herself after practicing with a sword, her healing only took away the pain. Her muscles remained tired from the workout. However, when the healing she had just received left her feeling as fresh as when she had first started rowing. With her renewed energy she put her back into it. When the captain called for them to ship oars and raise sail, she was drenched with sweat despite the cold, but she hadn't stopped rowing.

"You did good, lass. Better than some their first time," complimented Val son of Lars.

"Thank you." She rested in place while stretching the way Malak had taught them during spellsword training. However, she couldn't take credit. "I would not have made it without the priest healing me, or without you doing most of the work."

"You also probably weigh half what I do. You did more than most and didn't complain. As for Grandfather, he heals everyone."

Daenerys frowned. Val looked to be in his middle ages, which would make the Talos priest ancient. "He's your grandfather?"

Val laughed. "He's everyone's grandfather. That's what we all call him. He settled here in Winterhold after the Great War. He doesn't preach, he just heals. I'm surprised he came along on this voyage. He never has before."

.oOo.​

Daenerys was relieved that the wind held steady from the north. Since they wanted to go south, they could sail most of the way. However, she did have to row two more short stretches as they navigated around the coast of Skyrim. She did her best to keep up and contribute, but she knew that Val was doing most of the work.

As the sun was setting, Jarl Kraldar ordered that they beach the ship on some nameless island rather than risk traveling the ice strewn Sea of Ghosts at night. After they beached the ship Daenerys had to suffer through another cultural rite of passage – eating a raw herring. Some of the men seemed to expect her to complain, but it honestly didn't bother her that much. The taste was strong, but she had worked hard enough rowing to build up an appetite. She ate it with enthusiasm, to the cheers of some of the crew. While she preferred her meat and fish cooked, her stomach was glad to be filled and showed no sign of rebelling. She wondered how well some of these hardy warriors would do eating the entire raw heart of a stallion. While the crew sang various Nord songs, she sat upon her sleeping roll and amused herself with feeding some of the scraps of her fish to a scrawny grey cat with black spots that had somehow stowed away and was begging for food.

Faralda shook her head. "I see you've acquired another follower, apprentice. You should never feed a stray. You'll never be rid of it now."

Daenerys shrugged. Between the rowing and the mead she'd drunk, she was feeling pleasantly mellow. "I've been a stray myself. It's not an easy life, never knowing when your next meal will come, or if there will even be a next meal. Besides, I can always use another loyal follower. At least I can afford to pay this one."

She wasn't as amused in the morning when she awoke feeling sore all over and with the cat breathing in her face. "Yuck, fish breath!"

To her irritation the crew adopted Fishbreath as the cat's name.

Last edited:
even a sload if one managed to climb the steps.
Probably but it was mostly rolled up the mountain by its thralls. :V:V:V
This time Jarl Kraldar smiled and wagged a finger. "Not this time. I do have a reason for going to Yngol Barrow myself, but you have your secrets and I have mine. If you come with us, you'll find out."
I guess the Radient location of the Helm of Winterhold is Ygnol this game.
Val laughed. "He's everyone's grandfather. That's what we all call him. He settled here in Winterhold after the Great War. He doesn't preach, he just heals. I'm surprised he came along on this voyage. He never has before."
I wonder perhap if he's curious about a certain Tounge.
I wonder if that stray cat is actually a khajiit?

I wonder if that stray cat is actually a khajiit?
Probably not, while the Alfiq look like house cats they are intelligent and capable of speech, plus it would be highly unusual to find one of them in Skyrim. It's more likely to be a Dremora pretending to be a cat than a Khajiit.

Probably not, while the Alfiq look like house cats they are intelligent and capable of speech, plus it would be highly unusual to find one of them in Skyrim. It's more likely to be a Dremora pretending to be a cat than a Khajiit.
What if its a Dremora pretending to be an Alfiq pretending to be a cat?

Back