Except that's not the Joker anymore. That's never been what the Joker is. The Joker and Batman are opposites because they both believe one central truth about the world and react to it in opposite ways. Batman, like the Joker, really does believe that given a chance people would eat each other if no one was there to stop them. Unlike the Joker Batman decides this means he must impose order on the world so that people that do are punished for it, while the Joker figures it's best to embrace that. To kill anyone he wants, to do anything he wants, because deep down anyone else wants to do it to. What you've described has so little to do with the Joker it'd be like having a Poison Ivy without plants.
Sorry bub, but you're not any kind of authority on these characters.

AFAIK, you've never written for Batman professionally, sooooo ...

No offense, but your description of what makes Batman and Joker great makes me want DC Comics to burn to the ground.

EDIT:The Batman I remember was always one trying to save Gotham, to help the good people of the city by fighting off the vultures preying upon its weakness. Not some non-lethel Judge Dredd ripoff.

Hell Batman and Dredd hate each other, Dredd arrests him and interrogates him for no reason and then after Batman calls him and the Judges legal system facists, Dredd and his buddies beat the shit out of him.

For once have a story about people who are villains because it paid, they enjoyed being outlaws, or had other reasonable psychological motives other than "rawr, kill the normies." Either crib from the original Ostrander run or the modern Secret Six and explore the cast's motivations for villainy alongside the action..

This this this pleeease. Especially to cribbing notes from Gail Simone's run on Secret Six or Ostrander's original Suicide Squad run.

Ironically enough, it's a DC comic that gives the ultimate takedown of the Joker's empty shell of a character.

On Harley Quinn, I basically agree with what everybody else said: she's boring as a Joker rip-off. In particular, I hope that they remember that she was trained as a psychiatrist and that while she's not the brightest bulb of the bunch she has great emotional intelligence - when she isn't stewing in her own issues and instability, of course, or blinded by Joker obsession.

The notion that this unhinged girl with shitloads of issues is also the one with the best perception of each character's motivations and personality is greatly amusing to me :D

New Trailer out. Looks good, though sort of getting a "Guardians of the Galaxy, but edgy" vibe from it. Which could be a good thing. GoG was Marvel's best movie and doing that set to the DCCU's darker bleaker tone could be a fresh spin on it. Plus now that we know that Batman in this universe casually brands petty criminals it's no wonder the Joker is missing all his teeth and likely using the tats to cover scars. Will need to see more of Leto to tell if he's a good sort of Manic or an over the top sort of Manic. Other than that Will Smith might be one of the only actors that can have a dramatic film about medical drama and football and one where he is a costumed assassin come out in the same year and not seem weird.

Like I said in the other thread, it actually does look more fun.

Gonna see it and hope for the best.

Would prefer to see more focus on the characters not related to the Joker though.

That trailer was pretty sweet. It's kinda incredible how much more upbeat it looks than Batman vs Superman.

I particularly like how Harley is closer to, well, Harley than in the first trailer. Where she came off like more of a basket case woobie character.

I hope Killer Croc is humanized at least a little.

I'll be honest, the standout character to me is Rick Flagg. "Deadshot, he shoots people. That a guys a crocodile, he eats people. He burns people, she's possessed by a witch. And her, she's just crazy."

I kind of wish they'd tell us what the hell was happening in the city and how the Joker played into it.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm going to hate Will Smiths character in this.

He really appears to be playing Will Smith Inspirational character 23, rather then Deadshot.

Last edited:
Looks amazing so far.

Also, Rick Flagg is actually the craziest of them all, right? Like there's no way they tell you this is your crew and your reply is "for god and country" right?

Deadshot has a character? I just thought he was "the guy that shoots people real well."

VolantRedX has a point? I thought he was just the guy that wanted Batman to be a mass murderer?

Almost every DC comics character has a character of some sort, no matter how limited they might be. He first turned up as a 'hero', pretending to be someone that disarmed and arrested crooks using nonlethal methods so he can remove the competition. Hes a borderline suicidal anti-asshole who does bad things for quick cash (and sends most of it to his daughter).

Not a Will Smith Inspirational Piece.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm going to hate Will Smiths character in this.

He really appears to be playing Will Smith Inspirational character 23, rather then Deadshot.
1) I don't see it.

2) Will Smith didn't become the highest grossing actor of all time by mistake.

Ok, how about addressing the other point, that nothing in the trailer seems to indicate that it's about Will Smith being inspirational. Like what made you even think that? The scene where he shoots people or the other scene where he shoots people?

The scene where he lovingly gazes towards the small bit of sunlight that comes through his cell window? Or the very unsubtle part of the trailer where he gets beaten down four on one? Or how every shot he is in tends to be framed as if hes heroic, while every other character is shown as crazy, villainous or both.

Last edited:
Back