Yes. Because they can afford to send in a couple hundred more for an operation that is more than legitimate.

And it doesn't have to be all special forces either. Send in entire divisions if you have to.

Easy, just make the squad fight something worse than they are. Don't have Waller a incompetent evil buffon. Make Flagg as the main protagonist, Katana as his second. Give them more character and amp up their heroic qualities a bit while still being on a lighter shade of gray. These are three characters that the audience can be invested in.

The Squad itself can be liked without white-washing them, it has been done before for cool evil villains. Like Vader for one. They should be portrayed as monsters and backstabbing psychopaths, just have them be badass while doing it.
I mean why not have a mission to retrieve some asset (data, experimental tech, scientist, metahuman, it really doesn't matter) in some tin pot dictatorship. It gives you someone to root against, explains why heroes aren't getting involved, and doesn't make Waller look like a fuck up. Not making Waller look like a fuck up is very important because if you are doing sequels she, Flagg, and maybe Deadshot are going to be your only constant characters.

Yes. Because they can afford to send in a couple hundred more for an operation that is more than legitimate.

And it doesn't have to be all special forces either. Send in entire divisions if you have to.
So in your mind it's better to send hundreds to their totally avoidable deaths to rescue one VIP rather than send a group of assholes whose lives have no value to anyone. Why?

I mean why not have a mission to retrieve some asset (data, experimental tech, scientist, metahuman, it really doesn't matter) in some tin pot dictatorship. It gives you someone to root against, explains why heroes aren't getting involved, and doesn't make Waller look like a fuck up. Not making Waller look like a fuck up is very important because if you are doing sequels she, Flagg, and maybe Deadshot are going to be your only constant characters.
Well I can't remember who said it exactly, but if you're going to spend 100 of millions of dollars on a movie you sort of have to make it about saving the world.

So in your mind it's better to send hundreds to their totally avoidable deaths to rescue one VIP rather than send a group of assholes whose lives have no value to anyone. Why?

Well I can't remember who said it exactly, but if you're going to spend 100 of millions of dollars on a movie you sort of have to make it about saving the world.
The purpose of the squad is to do things like do assassinations in North Korea or probe and steal data from your own allies like Canada or the UK. Things so batshit crazy and morally wrong that the government can feel free to disavow them at any time.

Just because the Squad members are expendable and hold no real value as human being doesn't mean you drop them at any site where they can cover for regular soldiers. You send them where they're of most use.

The purpose of the squad is to do things like do assassinations in North Korea or probe and steal data from your own allies like Canada or the UK. Things so batshit crazy and morally wrong that the government can feel free to disavow them at any time.

Just because the Squad members are expendable and hold no real value as human being doesn't mean you drop them at any site where they can cover for regular soldiers. You send them where they're of most use.
And a city crawling with magical murder zombies is where they were of most use.

Actually, this reminds me of a point I never really understood. Why was Waller being rescued? She was at the top of the building. The entire scene went:

1. SS gets there
2. SS watched as Waller gets into the helicopter
3. Waller promises to send another helicopter for them

Ignoring the Joker interruption, which was not according to plan, and wouldn't have even happened if Harley hadn't been there, why were they even sent to rescue Waller if Walker could have left at anytime? I know why from a story perspective, but was there any IC justification?

One hyphenated word: Ant-man. A 130 dollar super-hero heist movie. The only world saving is in a nebulous, "If this falls into the wrong hands" sense, which would fit perfectly into rescue some asset from tin pot dictator. Moreover, cutting back in scale would in turn cut down on the cost.

Or what about the first Spider-Man movie. That cost 139 million in 2002 and not even the city was at stake their. Adjusted for inflation that puts it at 186 million, 10 million dollars more than Suicide Squad.

Or Spider-Man 2 which cost 200 million in 2004 and at it's highest stakes, only New York city was at stake. Adjusted for inflation that's 255 million, 80 million more than Suicide Squad's listed budget.

Last edited:
One hyphenated word: Ant-man. A 130 dollar super-hero heist movie. The only world saving is in a nebulous, "If this falls into the wrong hands" sense, which would fit perfectly into rescue some asset from tin pot dictator. Moreover, cutting back in scale would in turn cut down on the cost.

Or what about the first Spider-Man movie. That cost 139 million in 2002 and not even the city was at stake their. Adjusted for inflation that puts it at 186 million, 10 million dollars more than Suicide Squad.

Or Spider-Man 2 which cost 200 million in 2004 and at it's highest stakes, only New York city was at stake. Adjusted for inflation that's 255 million, 80 million more than Suicide Squad's listed budget.
The insect themed heroes feature much smaller scope threats. I sense a connection.

Which says to me that the people in charge really don't get Waller. Even with all the morally doubious things Waller does, almost everything she is for what she sees as the good of the nation and the world. Waller's song shouldn't be Sympathy for the Devil it should be Road to Hell.

And that's exactly why in any sane world she'd be ended in an instant. Even Flag, who almost certainly has plenty of blood on his hands, seems to be aware that he's shitting himself to make excuses for her.

Alternatively the characters could be assholes doing shitty things for a purpose, and have a good movie. Instead of people that constantly do the right thing for the "family" that they made in a couple hours of fighting fungus monsters. What a shitty movie. The point of the movie should be that they are fucking assholes that are forced to do good, not to be jerks with a heart of gold.

Simplest excuse for them to come together at the end would be the fact that this is a world ending threat. And the world's where they keep all their stuff. The villains joining the heroes when there's no place to run is also a comic book staple and one of the more sensible ones. Just remove the Enchantress' offer of survival in return for their fealty and the motive for the climax writes itself.

Last edited:

For that matter Incubus went down to a manpack anti-tank mine.

Sure his whip attack was pretty devastating and he seems to be pretty resistant to gunfire.

But all it really would have taken to bring him down is louring him into a kill box surrounded by ATGMs.

Last edited:
The ones that survived for almost the entire film, and ultimately killed a god with an explosive they could carry with one hand.

I agree with your sentiment. But credit where it's due, the soldiers only last that long because they had the squad backing them up. Without Killer Crock to fight the Zeds underwater that bomb would have wound up at the bottom of a flooded tunnel.

Actually, this reminds me of a point I never really understood. Why was Waller being rescued? She was at the top of the building. The entire scene went:

1. SS gets there
2. SS watched as Waller gets into the helicopter
3. Waller promises to send another helicopter for them

Ignoring the Joker interruption, which was not according to plan, and wouldn't have even happened if Harley hadn't been there, why were they even sent to rescue Waller if Walker could have left at anytime? I know why from a story perspective, but was there any IC justification?

Waller's building was crawling with dime-store shoggoth-men; she needed the Squad to clear the way, because only they could defeat the monsters with the power of generic superhumandom.

The problem here is that they couldn't point that out due to the opsec requirements.

When you're doing a movie about lies and double-crosses, you need stronger character motivations. It should have been obvious at each twist how each character involved would want to jump, and we didn't get that.

The Justice League doesn't exist yet, and it's pretty clear that the US government is covering up what's going on in Midway City, as that's the point of the mid-credits scene with Waller and Batman. The US military and police are the bad guys in Suicide Squad, as none of the movie would have happened if not for the actions of the US military and covert ops forces.

The largest issue is probably that most people won't find the idea of torturing prisoners bad, but that's not an issue with the film itself.

That scene is, like all of the flashback scenes, from the character's perspective. Harley is reliving her fantasy that Batman will become her new Joker, sexualizing the CPR. The fantasy can't avoid the fact that Batman then punches her in the face.

And...goddamnit, Waller.

Just came to another horrible realization. The reason Waller needed extraction was that she stayed behind. The reason she stayed behind is that she wanted details on the mook-conversion process...which she plainly had no intentions of actually sharing in a useful manner, since she wiped drives and murdered witnesses.

I know that Waller in the comics is characterized as being the Hard Woman making Hard Choices for Patriotism, but this incarnation of her was 100% interested in getting information on how to mutate civvies into super-mooks to fill out her own private army. There is no reasonable explanation for her personally staying behind and not, you know, evaccing early and bringing in an actual team with expertise on observing metahumans.

---

And now that I think about it, I realize the source of the massive disengagement I had with this movie walking out of the theater. The short version is Literally Everyone Sucks.

The Squad? Well, as the preview said: "Shoots people. Burns people. Stabs people. Eats people." The only member of the Squad who don't get their straight-up murder on are Slipknot and the Enchantress's host body, and neither of them are real characters.

The gaolers? Well, either they're running an illegal off-the-books black site on American soil...or laws about prisoner treatment and detention have gotten liberal enough that they're footsoldiers in a tyranny.

Which brings us to the military members we've seen! We get Flag's lovely sanctioning of Waller's murder of her loyal tech crew, and the strong implication that he's done similar himself. He and his team took an oath to defend the Constitution, and that oath does not exempt you from the inconvenient bits like the Thirteenth Amendment.

I barely even need to mention Joker, Waller, Enchantress, and Incubus, but yeah, all evil in varying shades of body-count, and remarkable similarities in terms of methods and results.

Even Batman comes across as an asshole for working with Waller in the end credits scene.

Hell, Deadshot's daughter has come to terms with his murdery profession by the end, and while it's true that there could be reasonable and legitimate reasons for him to be shooting people from atop a building, she damn well shouldn't be cheerful about it.

Literally the only non-extra cast members whose actions don't make me cringe are the heroic transit officer and physician who do their best to tend to Incubus's host as Incubus is being born, and they are horrible killed for it.

Am I missing anyone? Or did this movie genuinely fail to back up Harley's claim of "We're the bad guys!" by forgetting to include any good guys whatsoever?

Back