I still feel like DC does an incredible job of portraying high power fights.
That El Diablo channeling the spirit of vengeance shit and fighting Enchantress's brother with blue flame was incredible. However the rest of the time the choreography in more normal powered fights got really muddled by the dark filter.

Saw it. Movie was ultimately a mess, glad I saw it at a matinee rather than a regular showing. There was something weirdly enjoyable about Waller, terrible a person though she was (I think that may have been part of what made her enjoyable), Rick Flagg was alright too, but really the star of the movie is Deadshot, without a doubt. In the words of CinemaWins, "Will Smith doesn't even care".

He doesn't make the movie or save the movie, but for as much as I didn't like Suicide Squad, if tomorrow someone announced that they were making a "Deadshot" movie starring Will Smith, I would be cautiously optimistic about it and probably watch it unless everything I heard about it turned out to be absolutely terrible.

It this, at all, an accurate representation of how the scene plays out?

I didn't think it was that bad. I saw it as Batman trying to give CPR (bad CPR though it may have been), then Harley turning it into a kiss, and then Batman restraining her because he's not amused and she is, ultimately, dangerous. And lets face it, restraining dangerous people by the neck is a very Batman thing for Batman to do.

But no, there was absolutely no part of that scene that made me equate Batman with a sex offender in any way.

Ok smart guy why doesn't Superman ever arrest Joker? Why doesn't the Flash punch out Lex Luthor? Where's Iron Man when Green Goblin is fucking shit up? Why doesn't Captain America ever deal with the Kingpin? Maybe it's because that's not how Comic books work.

Comic books being bolted, welded, and nut-stapled to the status quo has been an enduring criticism of the medium for years. "Batman/Superman are at this point basically responsible for the skull shattering number of people Joker's killed" is a common complaint. Though the Flash question is kinda funny 'cause I'm pretty sure there's at least some Justice League stuff where he does. And Captain America not dealing with the Kingpin is usually because, at his core, the Kingpin's just a street level dude and waaaay below the "Deathcarrier New World Order Supernazis" tier of threat that Cap usually fights.

Which is sorta hilarious because it's never even implied that Batman or Flash or who the fuck ever are off dealing with bigger shit. This is more excusable in the Marvel stuff because as far as the individual movies are largely concerned the other non-crossover ones don't really exist except for the teasers and shit at the end whereas in DC they stop the action so that everyone can oogle their other big names and be reminded that "hey, they're here too".

But comics are "just like that" I guess. :V

I still feel like DC does an incredible job of portraying high power fights.

Does it though? Does it really?

How much of the fight against the fucking ten foot tall flaming metal Mesoamerican demigod was just him shoving the Suicide Squad around like a playground bully despite, y'know, being able to rip helicopters out of the sky and hatefuck subway trains to death? 'Cause it was a good chunk.

Last edited:
Which is sorta hilarious because it's never even implied that Batman or Flash or who the fuck ever are off dealing with bigger shit. This is more excusable in the Marvel stuff because as far as the individual movies are largely concerned the other ones don't really exist except for the teasers and shit at the end whereas in DC they stop the action so that everyone can oogle their other big names and be reminded that "hey, they're here too".
Marvel does it better because the big threat in the individual movies rarely is out in the open until the climax, and is usually dealt with within an hour or less. The only one that was really questionable was Iron Man 3 and AIM, where at least Captain America should have gotten involved.

It this, at all, an accurate representation of how the scene plays out?
I think not. The way I saw it, the CPR was weirdly misportrayed, but in a second it became clear that Harley tricked Batman into doing it, and found it funny. And he didn't. If anything, it was Batman who has been molested. Basically what Jawa said:
I didn't think it was that bad. I saw it as Batman trying to give CPR (bad CPR though it may have been), then Harley turning it into a kiss, and then Batman restraining her because he's not amused and she is, ultimately, dangerous. And lets face it, restraining dangerous people by the neck is a very Batman thing for Batman to do.

But no, there was absolutely no part of that scene that made me equate Batman with a sex offender in any way.

Comic books being bolted, welded, and nut-stapled to the status quo has been an enduring criticism of the medium for years. "Batman/Superman are at this point basically responsible for the skull shattering number of people Joker's killed" is a common complaint. Though the Flash question is kinda funny 'cause I'm pretty sure there's at least some Justice League stuff where he does. And Captain America not dealing with the Kingpin is usually because, at his core, the Kingpin's just a street level dude and waaaay below the "Deathcarrier New World Order Supernazis" tier of threat that Cap usually fights.

Which is sorta hilarious because it's never even implied that Batman or Flash or who the fuck ever are off dealing with bigger shit. This is more excusable in the Marvel stuff because as far as the individual movies are largely concerned the other non-crossover ones don't really exist except for the teasers and shit at the end whereas in DC they stop the action so that everyone can oogle their other big names and be reminded that "hey, they're here too".

But comics are "just like that" I guess. :V

Does it though? Does it really?

How much of the fight against the fucking ten foot tall flaming metal Mesoamerican demigod was just him shoving the Suicide Squad around like a playground bully despite, y'know, being able to rip helicopters out of the sky and hatefuck subway trains to death? 'Cause it was a good chunk.
I meant where both parties are high powered such as here when literally flaming pillarman fought against a 10 foot fire raging satan thing.

So I saw this movie last night. To sum it up, fuuuuuck me. I didn't have high expectations, but this one let me down even more than I thought it could.

So first off, Amanda Waller. They took the character, then said "What if, we made her an idiot?" She doesn't kill Enchantress as soon as she has bolted, instead stabbing her like it's a hissy fit, but I can let that slide. She didn't know Incubus could prop up his sister like that so whatev. But apparently, Rick Flag didn't tell her about Enchantress escaping, or she didn't think to care about it if he did to check all the voodoo shit they have hidden, which is criminally stupid for either of them.

And that entire premise, the entire plot line, ruins the core theme of suicide squad for me. In the comics, the Squad's first mission was basically to murder a stadium full of people, because it needed to be done. A hero wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. And I get that the movies can have different interpretations from the comics, but when you make the plot "Amanda Waller causes death and destruction through shady actions for it to be fixed by heroic bonds of friendship" then why the hell are you making a Suicide Squad movie? I'm sure there are leagues of "group of small time heroes" things they could have done, where the underdogs saved the day.

Oh, and yes, the part where Waller sells classified information to a rich civilian in return for political protection. The part where Batman shields an incompetent and mildly treasonous criminal in a position of power in return for information. No way that just completely ignores the details of either character. Waller is ridiculously loyal to the government and the country. It's why she does what she does. Even if it is Batman, Amanda Waller doesn't sell classified info to save her own hide. And I doubt Batman would save her from taking the fall for causing a city wide disaster and basically enabling the murder of countless people globally through incompetent paranoia, because he needs the info.

Not even going to go into "Joker actually loves Harley" because that's pants on head stupid. Frankly, they didn't have the balls to go where Suicide Squad went. Deadshot "doesn't kill women and children" and I could see the children part. But he doesn't kill women? The fuck? It's like they decided that purely so Diablo and Flagg wouldn't detest him for his detestable work. They pull the Ohana means family bullshit out of some party that never aired apparently, and Diablo was too friendly. Like, he has every reason to hate these people. They are what he detests. But because they listened to his sad story, that's fine. They're family now, or whatever.

Actually, Diablo real quick. His backstory is different. I don't mind that, but I do want to acknowledge that his backstory is so much less now. In the comics, he burned down a house of rival gangbangers and walked in to find it was also full of their women and kids. Which is fantastic. He was a bad guy, who chose to do something terrible and became overwhelmed by guilt. In this, he just "got too angry" which is fine, but it makes him less of a bad guy. Which seems to be a constant theme in this movie. Also that spirit of vengeance bull came out of nowhere, but fuck it, monster fight scene I guess.

Anyway, I have more problems with it, but this is long enough as is. Maybe I missed something, maybe not.

In the comics, he burned down a house of rival gangbangers and walked in to find it was also full of their women and kids. Which is fantastic. He was a bad guy, who chose to do something terrible and became overwhelmed by guilt. In this, he just "got too angry" which is fine, but it makes him less of a bad guy. Which seems to be a constant theme in this movie. Also that spirit of vengeance bull came out of nowhere, but fuck it, monster fight scene I guess.

I'm not familiar with the comic version of the character, but I think the backstory for him worked. Maybe it wasn't as widespread a thing that turned him around, but I do think it works on account of hitting a lot closer to home. It's not just any women and children he killed, it was his wife and kids he killed.

Saw it, liked it, gave pretty well what I wanted.

Just one complaint though:
Why three days? Why threaten people's SoD for no damn good reason? Seriously, you could have just said like, I dunno, six hours, and bam all of a sudden Flash not coming and fixing the mess, or Batman starting nothing, or even Wonder Woman doing nothing make more sense; certainly it's not that hard to believe something might distract them for that long.

Saw it, liked it, gave pretty well what I wanted.

Just one complaint though:
Why three days? Why threaten people's SoD for no damn good reason? Seriously, you could have just said like, I dunno, six hours, and bam all of a sudden Flash not coming and fixing the mess, or Batman starting nothing, or even Wonder Woman doing nothing make more sense; certainly it's not that hard to believe something might distract them for that long.
Because if you said 6 hours you'd have pendants complaining that it was too fast a turnaround to get the Squad into the city.

Because if you said 6 hours you'd have pendants complaining that it was too fast a turnaround to get the Squad into the city.
Thats solved by the basis of the goddamn government. They can put a squad of men to anywhere in the world in 24 hours, they can move a small group across the continental US in less than a day.

Oh man I just got back from seeing this and it has me firmly convinced not to pay for another DC movie ever again. Why in the world did they let Will Smith play himself instead of actually playing Deadshot. I think that was probably the single most damning thing in a film full of damning things.

Oh man I just got back from seeing this and it has me firmly convinced not to pay for another DC movie ever again. Why in the world did they let Will Smith play himself instead of actually playing Deadshot. I think that was probably the single most damning thing in a film full of damning things.
I didn't actually pay for the movie. T-Mobile gave out tickets for free on Tuesday (for Friday showings) I'm glad I didn't pay.

Wait, are you seriously saying that you nominate this as the 'no more DC, ever' instead of either Dawn of Justice or Batman and Robin?

Looks like this is doing well so far, all ready made just under 130 million going by Box Office Mojo.

Wait, are you seriously saying that you nominate this as the 'no more DC, ever' instead of either Dawn of Justice or Batman and Robin?
Yes. I had basically written off the next few DC films affiliated with Justice League after the utter travesty that was Dawn of Justice, but I had not entirely unreasonable hopes that with a film that was supposed to have a different tone they might have done better. If they had handled Suicide Squad well I could have convinced myself to take a pass on theatres for Wonder Woman and maybe whatever came immediately after that, and then go back to seeing them on the big screen after they had a chance to get their shit together. Now though I no longer believe they are capable of that and will not be paying to see any of their movies ever again.

Andre Meadows and Angry Joe like it, though I know they're not like huge students of film or anything.

Though my feeling is that lots of normal moviegoers are enjoying it plenty?

Yes. I had basically written off the next few DC films affiliated with Justice League after the utter travesty that was Dawn of Justice, but I had not entirely unreasonable hopes that with a film that was supposed to have a different tone they might have done better. If they had handled Suicide Squad well I could have convinced myself to take a pass on theatres for Wonder Woman and maybe whatever came immediately after that, and then go back to seeing them on the big screen after they had a chance to get their shit together. Now though I no longer believe they are capable of that and will not be paying to see any of their movies ever again.
I have to agree. I could chalk up Dawn of Justice to Zack Snyder being terrible, but Suicide Squad going down says dire things about the internal management in WB and DC.

I love how the straw that broke the camel's back is one of the best parts in the movie. Will Smith carries a lot of the film by being so damn smooth.

I love how the straw that broke the camel's back is one of the best parts in the movie. Will Smith carries a lot of the film by being so damn smooth.
Will Smith makes it a Will Smith movie, not a Suicide Squad movie. "Oh I'm a mass murderer, but I never kill women or children and I love my baby girl. I'm not so bad! You are allowed to like me!"

That is NOT what I want out of a Suicide Squad movie. If they wanted Will Smith to play a good guy they should have made him the soldier, and then cut out the parts where he was fine with Waller murdering random government employees and implied he had done similar things himself.

Well, Armond White loves it, if that means anything to anyone...
"It is apparent from the newly released "Ultimate Edition" Blu-Ray of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice that Snyder is constructing a large-scale morally serious epic that portrays modern man's ethical struggle, giving comic-book characters the spiritual breadth of classical characters. Ayer acknowledges this when the Squad, facing supernatural evil, gets gung-ho and promises, "We're gonna be a chapter in the Bible! Everybody will know what we do!" Snyder and Ayer pursue an interest in redemption and sacrifice using the comic-book and blockbuster genres that have replaced the universality of the Bible and classical texts. More is at stake in Suicide Squad than comic-book fun. "

"Think metaphorically again, and see that Suicide Squad entangles post-Vietnam and post-9/11 notions about heroism and citizenship. Deadshot does the right, patriotic thing, yet compliments Waller, his treacherous superior, saying, "That's gangsta!" This use of hip-hop cynicism speaks more directly to modern confused ethics than most lines from other movies and most politicians. Suicide Squad is The Dirty Dozen for millennial viewers (and voters), who think their patriotic moral conflict is new."

I have no idea what this guy is saying. I mean, I do, but I also have no idea why he's saying it. It's like he threw out Occam's Razor and started randomly opening pages in a thesaurus instead.
I'm not familiar with the comic version of the character, but I think the backstory for him worked. Maybe it wasn't as widespread a thing that turned him around, but I do think it works on account of hitting a lot closer to home. It's not just any women and children he killed, it was his wife and kids he killed.
I mean, it works, but it's also too likable. "Oh no, he accidentally killed his own family and sacrificed his life for the squad!" makes him sympathetic. Harley Quinn's "own that shit!" was fantastic, because it really made it clear that he wasn't some great momnk who made a mistake, he was a bad guy who wanted to pretend the bad thing didn't happen. But then he got redeemed by giving his life for his friends. That's what I mean when I said that the movie didn't go to where Suicide Squad did originally. If it was really Suicide Squad, then Diablo would be begging them not to activate the bomb, and Deadshot and Flagg would have done it anyway. The tone is just, not, there. Then again, I speak more as a jilted fan than an unbiased movie critic.

Will Smith makes it a Will Smith movie, not a Suicide Squad movie. "Oh I'm a mass murderer, but I never kill women or children and I love my baby girl. I'm not so bad! You are allowed to like me!"

That is NOT what I want out of a Suicide Squad movie. If they wanted Will Smith to play a good guy they should have made him the soldier, and then cut out the parts where he was fine with Waller murdering random government employees and implied he had done similar things himself.
The whole point of his character was how those traits didn't make him a good person. He wasn't a heroic person or even a good person and what positive traits he did have were in the end not enough to redeem him as a person.

The whole point of his character was how those traits didn't make him a good person. He wasn't a heroic person or even a good person and what positive traits he did have were in the end not enough to redeem him as a person.

Oh please, they all but made Deadshot a good guy here.

"You are evil." He says to Enchantress.

Good god, the amount of stupid hypocrisy there is ugh. Why did the people in charge try to make everyone on the squad sympathetic? That isn't the fucking point of them. This isn't GotG, and it shouldn't be.

Back