Nevill's right, it's not a question of "want."

The enchantment that ensures the reincarnations aren't perfect. The Knights can't actually change, because they can't remember their previous lives (except in brief, plot-relevant spurts). They actually can't even learn The Arthur mythos for themselves, because there's a mental block in their heads similar to the spell you're using to hide their identities. You can try to tell them that Lorelei will have an affair with Gwynn which will lead to ruin, but it'll go in one ear and out the other.

Once it actually happens to them - then the block is lifted. And your return may have consequences for these mental blocks as well (but that's just idle speculation, Mordred hasn't really put a lot of thought into this yet).

You'll learn next post.

Mordred knows from his little mind-meld with Annabelle that the Knights have never had a happy ending. They often go out like heroes, foiling the bad guys' plots and buying the Earth some more time, but they always die, and die young.

Ironically, you know a lot more about the Knights' histories than they do. It's one of the bigger implications of your return.

The more the merrier! Glad you've enjoyed the quest so far.
....Wow. So they're stuck. Trapped, really. They're less free than they ever were in Camelot.

If we tore down Camelot to try and create more freedom for the rest of the Mortal world (as opposed to Fae, Architects, etc.), we'd be hypocrites to condemn them to repeat this.

....Wow. So they're stuck. Trapped, really. They're less free than they ever were in Camelot.

If we tore down Camelot to try and create more freedom for the rest of the Mortal world (as opposed to Fae, Architects, etc.), we'd be hypocrites to condemn them to repeat this.
While I like the introspection, I'd caution on jumping to conclusions at this point in time. The ideas we're talking about now (choice, freedom, etc) are going to be thematic cornerstones of the quest, and there's a lot you don't know yet. (Which is partly why I was hesitant to bring it up, though I now agree that y'all need the full picture if you're expected to act consistently.)

While I like the introspection, I'd caution on jumping to conclusions at this point in time. The ideas we're talking about now (choice, freedom, etc) are going to be thematic cornerstones of the quest, and there's a lot you don't know yet. (Which is partly why I was hesitant to bring it up, though I now agree that y'all need the full picture if you're expected to act consistently.)
Fair enough. I guess I'm also just saying the direction I'd like to see things go; I'd have been fine with Full Hero at the beginning, but failing that, we're not Full Villain, either, so seeking some sort of Rogue-ish goal seems most fitting. And Breaking The Cycle feels pretty Rogue-ish.

In other words the cycle might very well be serving a purpose that is needed and other such things.

What a mess.
Fair enough. I guess I'm also just saying the direction I'd like to see things go; I'd have been fine with Full Hero at the beginning, but failing that, we're not Full Villain, either, so seeking some sort of Rogue-ish goal seems most fitting. And Breaking The Cycle feels pretty Rogue-ish.
What if the cycle is needed to protect the world from something? Breaking it could be the villainous route and keeping it the heroic one.

Mordred knows from his little mind-meld with Annabelle that the Knights have never had a happy ending. They often go out like heroes, foiling the bad guys' plots and buying the Earth some more time, but they always die, and die young.
Still works with my interpretation of cycles, if sometimes their sacrifice is enough and sometimes the word ends with them.

Thought wow, does it suck to be a Knight.

In other words the cycle might very well be serving a purpose that is needed and other such things.

What a mess.

What if the cycle is needed to protect the world from something? Breaking it could be the villainous route and keeping it the heroic one.
Hm. Then maybe the Rogue-ish thing to do is alter the cycle.

So that while, yes, they're still stuck reincarnating and getting these powers, and they're the go-to "defenders of Earth"...they aren't stuck practically being the same people. They can learn, remember, grow, and change over time.

Hm. Then maybe the Rogue-ish thing to do is alter the cycle.

So that while, yes, they're still stuck reincarnating and getting these powers, and they're the go-to "defenders of Earth"...they aren't stuck practically being the same people. They can learn, remember, grow, and change over time.
We're probably the only one that can affect it like that, but you're still suggesting making a crack in the cycle. Worse, one that others might be able to take advantage of. And this cracks would also widen over time and eventually break it anyway.

But more than that... " I will return in the hour of Britain's Greatest need." It's likely very different, but look at their lives and how long this has been going on. This is a Death Curse, or one that uses their deaths as it's fuel. That's... Going to be very to dangerous to a lot of people to even mess with.

Curses usually have an inset way to break, so breaking it would probably be safer than altering it funnily enough.

Edit:not saying we shouldn't look into it, just that we need to be very, very careful if we do.

Last edited:
Nevill's right, it's not a question of "want."

The enchantment that ensures the reincarnations aren't perfect. The Knights can't actually change, because they can't remember their previous lives (except in brief, plot-relevant spurts). They actually can't even learn The Arthur mythos for themselves, because there's a mental block in their heads similar to the spell you're using to hide their identities. You can try to tell them that Lorelei will have an affair with Gwynn which will lead to ruin, but it'll go in one ear and out the other.

Once it actually happens to them - then the block is lifted. And your return may have consequences for these mental blocks as well (but that's just idle speculation, Mordred hasn't really put a lot of thought into this yet).
What I'm reading is that there is an army of Mordreds trapped away from reality because Artura keeps forgetting not to bang a mystery dude.
So, I've been pondering the ultimate goal of Mordred at this point in time.
I see 2 broad goals.

1.) Destroy the Forces of Darkness. We never felt true loyalty to them, and we care more about people/humanity/the world. Sealing them away from Earth is acceptable as well.
2.) Break the Cycle. This isn't actually the same as "Kill Artura and the Knights". Ideally, they all get to live, they just stop being stuck in an endless loop of reincarnations. Their choices can more truly become their own. They become their own people more fully. And when they die, they pass on (I don't know what the "default" fate of the souls of mankind are in @Gally 's setting here, and I don't necessarily need an answer) like anyone else. Ideally that means they die of old age after spending their lives keeping the world safe (I don't think we're hugely opposed to them being protectors, just rulers). Then their power can be passed on to another generation. Who may make mistakes, but at least it'll be their mistakes.
Not quite. We have a third, or perhaps a subgoal to number two. What ever the hell we were rebelling for in the first place.
Personally I like the idea that we were trying to mess with the table in a way that could allow other people to be born able to take power from the table like we do and that other knight does.

What I'm reading is that there is an army of Mordreds trapped away from reality because Artura keeps forgetting not to bang a mystery dude.
In contrast to the originals, the reincarnations die young. I assume that's younger than it takes to become parents. That's how they keep their own familial ties instead of creating new ones (so Gala always remains Lorelei's only daughter etc.).

What ever the hell we were rebelling for in the first place.
Depends on whether it still exists, or if it was gone with Camelot.

I wonder what happens were the table to be destroyed. Actually, who among the forces of Darkness are after world domination, and who is just tagging along because of a powerful artefact?

Last edited:
Gemma always remains Lorelei's only daughter etc.).

Ehhh, nah. I don't think that's the case. Gemma is just Gala. The Best Girl/Knight. Her relationship with Lorelei only mattered in the OG. Reincarnations wouldn't be related. Like how all the other knights are around and the same age, instead of being older. So no, Gemma's mom prolly isn't Lorelei.

Lorelei is probably the mysterious sixth ranger who Gavin may sometimes admire/gush/pine after. To Annabelle's confused irritation, and Matthew's confused amusement. She may also be a student from another school who transfers to Roosevelt at some point.

Or she could be Gemma's older sister. Who is currently a university student and sometimes does extra credit work at Roosevelt for her degree.

I do hope thats true, there can only be one Dank Prince.
Damn straight.
Mordred is a unique existence. Weakened from the nap, but still strong. Potentially stronger than the others as they are now, since Mordy said Annabelle was just a reflection of Artura. Not as 'bright', so to speak.

... Actually, I can see how Evil!Mordred would have worked, assuming the above is true. Being the only Original Knight, we'd have the potential to be OP as balls compared to them, so the plot would be to kill us ASAP before we power leveled back up.

... Actually, I can see how Evil!Mordred would have worked, assuming the above is true. Being the only Original Knight, we'd have the potential to be OP as balls compared to them, so the plot would be to kill us ASAP before we power leveled back up.

That's still not the plan? (JK)

What I see in neutral/rogue is breaking molds. We are the dank prince, he who destroyed Camelot, the Shining jewel of the world, and cast down the Knights of the Round, warriors without peer. Obviously, the only choice is to cause as much chaos possible for little discernible reason.

Perhaps ignore the Knights quest line and simply stay firm with Bones and Terri? Then we can give a breaking speech to the Knights when they hunt Morgan down and do something rash!

A rogue in the Worm sense.

Ehhh, nah. I don't think that's the case.
Sorry, I completely mangled the meaning here. I meant to say 'even if Lorelei's incarnation has a daughter, she wouldn't be bound by destiny, i.e. wouldn't be Lorelei's daughter, Gala'. Of course they can't be blood related when they are all same age.

Though that makes me wonder. Obviously, there is some karmic devilry going on which clouds their minds and judgements and dooms them to repeat the farce. It goes so far as to replicate relationships and ties, though the jury is out whether it does so only for those who are bound to cause drama (i.e. Merlin/Artura/ Gwynn/Lorelei). That makes things very awkward for those who are originally from a different generation. At least Morgan has the excuse of being trapped in stone for half-eternity. Gala, on the other hand...

If the magic of the table maintains the group dynamics... then who is she in the group? The lovable junior? Is Lorelei her Onee-sama older friend or something (if she is alive and still among them, that is)? How does Gwynn view her? Those ties could not be preserved during the cycles; there must be discrepancies when it comes to Gala's role in the story. Are these details discarded as 'insignificant', or do they hold potential to alter the outcome? That the Knights weren't able to break out of the cycle on their own suggests the former. :|

Last edited:
Its likely they only have broad-strokes, narrative similarities to their past lives. I.E. They have certain actions they must take, but they have enough free will to adapt their roles to the time period. Just enough rope to hang themselves with so to speak.

And needing to keep the narrative the same means try always do hang themselves with it.

I also kind of wonder if they really are reincarnations, or if its more like Exaltation shards in that the Mantles just find the closest fit that is being born/is already alive and attaches to them, bringing memories with them.

Or possibly the originals' souls are attaching to the closest fits wholesale like parasites.

Nah, I'm talking Dank Prince Mordred showing off his leet flute skillz while Terri is throwing up glitter in the background or something, none of that bittersweet stuff :cool:

A Brief History of Camelot: The Silver Age
A Brief History of Camelot, Part II

The Silver Age

The banishment of Lady Lorelei was quite the scandal, and the Camelot gossip mills very nearly spun out of control when it happened. It was followed, however, with an even greater and more impactful discovery – Queen Artura was pregnant.

The news was met with raucous celebration, and Camelot partied for a week straight before normality returned. The highest towers of Camelot, however, were in a considerably darker mood. Artura's inner circle was unable to confirm that Mordred was indeed the son of King Gwynn, but for the people to learn otherwise would mean the end of Camelot. And so the issue of legitimacy was ignored, at least officially.

Mordred's successful birth inspired another week of festivities, although there were many amongst the court and the people who worried about the baby's gender. No man had ever wielded a Heraldry, and could Camelot survive without the power of the Round Table on the throne? The superpower was unprecedented after all – any shift in its structure could potentially be disastrous. Camelot had been built on the shoulders of Artura, and for the first time people were beginning to realize that she would not live forever.

Mordred, however, was unaware of the fears surrounding him – at least for the time being. He was a precocious child, tutored by the best and brightest England had to offer, and he advanced quickly despite his age.

When Mordred was five years old, Lady Lorelei returned from her banishment.

It was storming when Lady Lorelei returned, the kind of coincidence that happened far too often when one lived in Camelot. She threw open the doors of the main hall in the middle of court, hair dripping with rainwater and boots caked in mud from a hundred different worlds.

You have never seen Lorelei before, not in real life. She left Camelot before you were born, and though you have heard her name on the lips of your teachers, seen her face woven into the tapestries that hang above the hall, you have never truly seen her.

She is beautiful. You can tell, though you are young and know little of women. She is dangerous. You can tell, though you are young and know little of war. She trudges through the main hall, all eyes on her and only her, and then she falls to her knees before your mother upon her Sunlight Throne.

"Once, I was your knight," she says, and there is not a sound in the hall but her voice. Even the rain outside has fallen silent, as if in awe of her. "Once I was your knight, the instrument of your will. My deeds gave glory to you."

You notice something. A shadow, behind her. Shielded by her splendor.

"But I failed," she continues. Her eyes are locked on the floor in front of her, not daring to even glimpse your Mother's light. "I failed, and as my deeds gave glory to you so did my failures give shame to you. And so I left, and sought to atone."

The shadow shifts.

"And I have atoned. I have walked a thousand hostile lands for you. I have slain your enemies and I have wrought miracles in your name. I have atoned. And now I come before you, and I ask of you, forgive me."

There is silence, for a moment. And in that moment, thousands more.

"Artura," says the woman kneeling on the ground, hair dripping rainwater, boots caked in mud from a hundred different worlds. "Please."

"Of course," your mother says, and then she stands and pulls Lorelei to her feet and into a hug. Her gown stains with mud and rainwater, but the two women only embrace all the harder. "Of course, of course! Of course there will always be a place for you here, Lorelei." She pulls back and smiles. "And there will always be a place for your daughter as well."

And that is how you met Gala Corbenic, daughter of Lorelei Lake and your only friend.

Gala was a welcome addition to court, always smiling, never complaining. She and Mordred were drawn together by more than circumstance – both were children of the Round Table, both were wise beyond their years. Gala not only challenged Mordred but often surpassed him, and inside the young Prince grew a confused frustration.

This frustration did not go unnoticed by the court, who whispered amongst themselves of the Prince's dark temperament. But he kept up his studies, and continued to be the model Prince. Though his relationship with Gala waxed and waned with the years, there was no doubting that the girl was the closest thing to a friend Mordred ever had.

Interestingly, Mordred also maintained a relatively good relationship with his Aunt, the Sorceress Morgana le Fay. Though she was one of Camelot's greatest foes, she often stopped by the castle in disguise to speak with the young Prince. The inner circle did their best to hide these visits, but they could not stop Morgana, and the knowledge of her visits slowly leaked to the court at large. This did nothing to help public opinion of Mordred, who continued to grow more isolated as Gala found herself busy with squire duties.

When Gala was twelve, she manifested her Heraldry for the first time. She beat Mordred to manifestation by three months.
When Gala was fourteen, she was invited by Queen Artura to attempt to conquer the Siege Perilous, the seat on the Round Table to the right of the Queen. All the knights who had attempted to take that seat before her had died, and there was much trepidation within the court in the hours leading up to the ceremony.

"You're not seriously going to go through with it, are you?" You ask. Gala shifts uncomfortably and stares out the window rather than meet your eyes with her own.

"Queen Artura asked me personally."

"My mother doesn't get to tell you to throw away your life!"

Gala smiles with closed lips and sad eyes. "Yes she does, Mordred."

You groan and press your forehead against the cool glass of the window. The people of the city scurry along the market roads, like tiny ants from this distance. "Well, she shouldn't then."

"Why are you so convinced I'll fail?" Gala asks, and when you look back at her you realize she's looking at you – at your face, directly. To your own shame, you look away. Now it's you who can't meet her eyes. "It feels right to me, Mordred. I can just…I can do this. I know it. Haven't you ever felt that before?"

You don't bother to respond. You both know the answer.

Gala laughs, high pitched and slightly frantic. "I'm the one who's made the decision. I'm the one who wants this. Would it be so crazy for you to support me? For once?"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don't want you to die, Gala!"

"Do you?" She asks. "Or do you not want me to succeed?"

And then she leaves you there, in the abandoned hallway, to contemplate your answer.

Despite the tension, however, Gala succeeded admirably where others had failed. She took the Siege Perilous, and was led out to a private garden by Queen Artura, who had her pull a sword from a stone and knighted her as the best knight of all the world. On her fourteenth birthday, Gala Corbenic became a Knight of the Round Table.

As was custom in Camelot, the ensuing feast was massive. A new Knight of the Round Table was always something to celebrate, but the greatest of all the Knights? And at such a young age? The atmosphere itself was intoxicating, to say nothing of the wine which flowed like a river down the streets.

But at the top of Camelot's tallest tower, Prince Mordred Pendragon sat and brooded.

You are just as good a knight as Gala.

You let the cool night air from the window you have opened waft over you. Well, not just as good. Almost as good. But to be almost as good as the best knight of all the world? To be the only male to ever wield a Heraldry? Was that not an accomplishment worthy of praise, of recognition? Of something? Anything?

All you want is to prove yourself. But the wars with Saxons are long over, and your mother will not let you leave to seek out old magic, or hold the line against the Forces of Darkness. There will be plenty of time for that when you are older, she has told you. Plenty of time for that when you are ready.

But Gala is ready, and she is no older than you. When will it be your turn to prove yourself?

You sigh. This is ridiculous. Half the Queendom is downstairs, celebrating the biggest moment in your only friend's life. The least you can do is join in, and worry about yourself later. Isn't that what your Mother has always said? That a ruler must think of themselves last, for in reality they are the least important person in the land?

You stand and shake the cobwebs out of your hair, and move to close the window. Before you are able to shut it completely, however, a bat swoops in through it, fluttering on tiny wings high out of your reach.

You swear inwardly. Lady Percila would have your head if she knew you had let a bat into the castle. You leap and try to catch it with your fingers, but its panicked flight avoids your grasp. You are just about to activate Caledfwlch and knock it out of the air when it darts past you and out the door into the castle proper.

Shit. Shit. You take off after it, legs carrying you as fast as you can. The bat flies in aimless circles but always remains ahead of you, leading your further and further from the tower and towards the abandoned parts of the castle. Finally, after what seems like an hour, you make a flying leap and snag it by the end of the wing. Though the bat struggles mightily, you are able to keep hold long enough to toss it out a nearby window.

Now. The party. You begin to descend down the stairs when you hear a curious sound. Bumping. Did the bat get in again?

You follow the noise to a bedroom which has long since been abandoned, and the rest is history.

When Mordred discovered the affair of King Gwynn and Lady Lorelei, he did not confront them immediately. Instead he sought out Lady Bercila de Hautdesert, a celebrated Knight of the Round Table and foremost judge of Camelot's knights. It was her duty to carry out the judgement of knights if either Queen Artura or King Gwynn were unable.

As Lady Bercila had sworn off alcohol, she was sober when Mordred found her, and though she did not entirely understand what the young Prince was trying to tell her, she followed him anyway. When he showed her what he had discovered, she flew into such a rage that she activated her Heraldry and attacked.

The ensuing battle was fierce and brutal. Bercila restrained Gwynn, but was wounded by Lorelei and ordered Mordred to pursue her. Mordred followed Lorelei through the castle, but she shattered Caledfwlch with her own blade and escaped.

When Queen Artura learned of her husband's betrayal, she was bound by duty to sentence him to death and brand Lorelei a traitor. Thus had the Civil War of Camelot begun.

Last edited:
Speaking of Lorelei, why doesn't she have a thing on the char sheets?
Oh, is she listed under Ladies of the Lake? But she shouldn't have betrayed them yet after all Gwynns still around...
What is with this bizarre reincarnation.

Man, it's like the world was conspiring to make that the worst day in Mordred's life, best friend gets to prove themself to be the best in the world while you're stuck with no way to prove yourself, then you find out your dad's porking your best friend's mom, and then when you try to stop them from escaping, you fail and that failure leads to one hell of a civil war.

Also all that talk about how the knights have a mental block when it comes to remembering what happened at Camelot makes me wonder how Annabelle was affected since we got a ton of modern knowledge from that moment with her, so she should've gotten the same knowledge from us too.

Back