Breaking Destiny (Fire Emblem: Awakening Quest)

[X][Thoron] Ask your father what this book is. He might be mad that you took it and almost hurt yourself, but maybe he can help you?

[X][Research] Research how to cast magic properly. You can get help from your father, too.

[X][Event] Severa. Best if you can talk to her about her mom now before anything bad happens.

EDIT: Removed Mom spoiler

Last edited:
[X][Thoron] Ask your father what this book is. He might be mad that you took it and almost hurt yourself, but maybe he can help you?
[X][Research] Read the book. It seems magical with it's aura and could possibly have something to help you.
[X][Event] Severa. Best if you can talk to her about her mom now before anything bad happens.

Last edited:
[X][Research] Read the book. It seems magical with it's aura and could possibly have something to help you.

Just checking where votes are at right now, votes still open.
Honestly, not surprised you guys want to help the Tsundere :V
Adhoc vote count started by ItzNarcotic on Sep 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM, finished with 12 posts and 11 votes.

Last edited:
Interesting, purple eyes makes me think Nowi is Leonard's mom then since she is the only one I can think of that has purple eyes in Awakening. That'll be an interesting family dynamic if the four of them are ever together. If so, I wonder if Leonard has any Manakete potential?

@ItzNarcotic are you interested in possible future character pics? Just did some searching with the info you've provided to see if I could find anything close to what Leonard should look like.

Interesting, purple eyes makes me think Nowi is Leonard's mom then since she is the only one I can think of that has purple eyes in Awakening. That'll be an interesting family dynamic if the four of them are ever together. If so, I wonder if Leonard has any Manakete potential?

@ItzNarcotic are you interested in possible future character pics? Just did some searching with the info you've provided to see if I could find anything close to what Leonard should look like.
I will say that the some of the character descriptions of some Awakening characters are really off in terms of eye color. Nowi would've been an interesting dynamic to write, but sadly she isn't your mother.

As for the pictures, the first one is the closest as to what Leonard should look like in a couple of years (in terms of hair and eyes color, at least). But he'll wear a black/Plegian cloak like his father does instead of the white cloak that Merlin has.

Last edited:

How fortunate! I go looking for more Three Houses fanfics, and instead I find a new FE:A quest. How delightful! Bit sad to miss out on Tacitian though, especially if F!Robin is Leonard's mom.

Bit sad to miss out on Tacitian though, especially if F!Robin is Leonard's mom.
If you got the Tactician, your class stat bonuses would give bonuses to STR and MAG with a malus of DEF.

Also, F!Robin is not your mom, but that was a good guess. If she was your mom, you would've gotten the Tactician class as your assigned class and not Dark Mage.

Vote Closed:
Rolling 2 separate 1d100s for Father Reaction and Research respectively.
Adhoc vote count started by ItzNarcotic on Sep 5, 2019 at 9:21 PM, finished with 21 posts and 14 votes.
ItzNarcotic threw 1 100-faced dice. Reason: Father Reaction Total: 46
46 46
ItzNarcotic threw 1 100-faced dice. Reason: Research Roll Total: 57
57 57

4: Dealing & Locations
[X][Research] Read the book. It seems magical with its aura and could possibly have something to help you.
1d100 = 46 + 5(Trait - Psychology and Psychiatry) + 3(Trait - Reincarnate) + 7(A Rank Support) = 61 = Barely Successful! DC=60

After a brief moment, you chose to ask your father what this book was about. Who knows, maybe he would help you use it?

Making sure you had the book on hand, you made your way out and searched for someone who could help you in finding your father. In your search, you found a middle-aged woman, along with a young woman, scrubbing up the dirty plates in the kitchen.

Walking to the older of the two, you grabbed her sleeve and lightly tugged on it to get her attention. "Excuse me miss, can you tell my father that I have something important I need to ask him?"

The older woman stopped scrubbing mid-motion, slowly inclining her head in your direction. "Of course, young child! What's your father's name?"

"My father's name is Henry," you said with a bright smile.

As soon as you said your father's name, the old woman's body tensed up. The plate she was previously cleaning fell out of her hands, shattering into small pieces and fragments on the wooden floor.

You looked at the other girl, only to see that she was just as confused as you were. The older woman turned around, put her mouth up to the other girl's ear, and frantically whispered something inaudible to your child ears.

In an instant, the girl goes pale and immediately headed off without a word. In the meantime, the old lady paced back and forth throughout the kitchen, anxiety gripping her every movement.

A couple of minutes later and your father still wasn't here. The old woman was, oddly enough, still pacing back and forth. Except you could now see that her hands were shaking and that her eyes were widened in what appeared to be… fear?

What was she so afraid of? She was about to faint at any given moment, but for what reason?

"—and that's how you tear someone's soul out with an advanced hex!"

Thankfully, you heard your father's voice approaching.

Wait, what was he talking about there? Tearing out someone's soul? Hexes?

You weren't givent the time to think as the door slammed itself open, revealing your cheerful father along with the girl from before. Her face was paler than before, cold sweat dripping down her head with her eyes widened in pure fear.

She was like prey in clear view of a predator, afraid of being spotted.

"Hey, Leonard! I was just telling her a very nifty trick, right?"

She snapped out of her petrified state, nodding her head furiously as she muttered out a mix of answers such as 'Of course!' and 'Yes, sir!'

"Good! You were listening! That information will save your life someday, ya know!" he turned away from the girl and extended his hand towards you, "Now, come with Leonard! You have something important to ask me?"

You acknowledged his question with a small smile, which seems to make him even happier. It was a common thought that happiness held a limit, but apparently, your father held no such thing.

Grabbing his hand, the both of you walked out of the kitchen. As you made your way down the corridor and back to your room, you deigned to get the conversation over with.

The guilt festering in your stomach demanded for it, at any rate.

With remorse in your voice, you said, "Dad, I think I did something I wasn't supposed to do."

Your father paused, raising a brow. "Well, I'm sure what you did couldn't have been too bad—"

"I read this weird yellow book." Interrupting him, you pulled it out of your coat and showed it to him.

Instantly, he froze in his tracks and turned to you. More specifically, the book you were holding. In a speed you didn't know was possible for your father, he grabbed the book, shoved it into one of his coat pockets, and frantically checked your body for... wounds?

"I knew I forgot something earlier. Did you get hurt? Are you okay? Gods, if she got her hands you I'll—"

Halting his tirade, you softly pulled on his coat sleeve. "I'm fine dad. I just wanted to ask if you could, you know, teach me how to use it?"

A moment of silence passed by, and you thought you made a grave mistake. Seconds became minutes, minutes turned into hours, and hours shifted into an immeasurable amount of time. Then he answered.

"Well, since you asked me, I'll train you. But, you have to start with the beginner tomes AND you have to join me for something."

He calmly gestured towards the barracks, where many men rushed out of the doorway in a panic. They were frightened, for whatever reason.

With that in mind, you decided to…
[][Deal] You accept the deal. You aren't scared and really, what's the worst that could happen?
[][Deal] You decline the deal. You don't want to join if full-grown men are running away.

1d100 = 57 +15(Dark Magic) + 15(?) = 87 = Success! DC=80

After analyzing the three options, you went with the mysterious book. The front cover was worn out, with the only thing you could make out being H-nr--s N-t-- On -an--m S--ff!.

Intrigued, you opened the book and moved the cover to the side. Flipping to the first page, you were presented with oriental and barely legible Ylissean writing.

Day One, Year 769
I just joined Ylisse's Shepherds today and they are so MUCH FUN! They let me kill so many people! My crows ate some corpses for breakfast and they even have two plegians as their tacticians! I'll have to ask them what their names are later since we're about to go and kill some more soldiers.

Toodles,
Henry the Crow Mage.

Wait, two plegians as their tacticians? What? Since when were there two? Curiosity grew like a fire that had been emblazoned as you flipped a couple of pages forward.

Day 16, Year 769
We managed to kill Gangrel with the tactics of both Robin and ------! They completely destroyed him, from what Chrom told me. I don't know how they managed to kill him, considering they both have amnesia, but this is great! The bloodshed that happened on this day was glorious and I managed to kill even more people than last time. Oh, looks like I gotta go! We're having a celebration in Chrom's castle! Hopefully, someone bumps into me so I have a reason to kill them!

Toodles,
Henry the Crow Mage.

What? Whose name was crossed out? You couldn't even read it. Shaking your head in frustration, you went over to the last legible page of the book.

Day ----, Year 7-4
Today, the greatest thing has happened! Even more so than the bloodshed from the war from years ago! My son was born. Say hi, Leonard! Oh wait, I forgot, you can't see or hear yet. Oops! Also, when ------ was giving birth to him, he released a Mana Discharge! And I could easily sense his magic, too! It was like a container of Mana, ready to burst! In other news, I managed to complete my guide, Advanced Dark Magic Tactics, a couple of days ago! I have all the notes prewritten in here, in case I ever misplace my official copy! I'm so excited, I can't wait to tell ---- about my discoveries! Oh, I still need to feed my son.

Goodbye (for now),
Henry the Father.

Closing the book shut after reading the final sentence, the horrible realization that you came out of this discovery with more questions than much-needed answers hit you.

Well, at least you learned something out of this.

Still, whose name was that? You recognized Robin, but whose name was crossed out? More research had to be done. The insatiable hunger in your mind yearned for it.

With that thought locked in, you binge read multiple books regarding Ylisse's history and the most recent wars the country has faced.

Trait Unlocked - Walking Battery
After reading through your father's book, you have realized that you are special. Special in a sense that mana pours in and out of you extremely fast. Also, you are a large Mana beacon for mages, friend and foe alike.

You are able to input and output mana out of your body to perform spells in a matter of moments, unseen in most mages.
+10 to MAG attacks and to battle rolls regarding enemy magic attacks.
Due to this trait, you are unable to perform sneak attacks on any enemies who are magically inclined.

Skill Unlocked - Dark Tomes
After reading through your father's notes, you now know how to properly(read: safely) cast and perform spells with Dark Magic Tomes!

You have leveled once due to the conclusion of this event, from Untrained to Novice.
Novice - 15/30

Quest Unlocked - Names Are Important
Find out who ---- is.

After finishing your research, you decided to find Severa so you could talk to her about her problems.

Hopefully, you could find her before anything happened.

The thing was, though, you didn't know where to search. As such, you took the sensible solution and thought to ask a guard. Only the Gods knew what would happen if you asked a maid for assistance again.

A man who appeared to be in his mid-twenties that was garbed in metal plating stood off to the side. Making up your mind, you made your way up to him.

Tilting your head upwards, you said, "Hello, sir."

"Oh, hello! What could a young child such as you want from an old man like me?" the guard greeted.

He was old? He looked like he was so young! Maybe he was be lying! Or perhaps he was using an illusion spell of sorts?

Hmm... Ah! Right!

Continuing upon your current motivation, you explained, "I'm looking for my friend, Severa. Do you know where she could be at right now?"

"Ah, young Severa. A spitfire, that girl is! I'm glad she's finally made a friend. If you're looking for her, she should be in the Guest Chambers right now. Her mother is usually training new recruits at this time, so she stays in that room by herself," he explained with a thoughtful nod.

Well, at least you had a location to go to now. Wait, where were the guest chambers?

"The guest chambers are located one stairway above the Royal Library." You raised a finger in inquiry, about to ask how he knew what you thinking. "If you're going to ask how I knew what you were going to say, you voiced your question out loud, lad," he supplied with an amused tone.

Oh, that was how he knew. You felt kind of–no, very dumb.

At the very least, he didn't read your mind or something crazy like that.

"Okay! Thank you, Mr...?"

"Cohen. My name is Cohen, former Lieutenant of the Cavalry Guard, now a humble gate guard," the guard, Cohen, said.

"Thank you, Mr. Cohen!"

As you sprinted off towards the Royal Library, you barely heard him yell out a raspy, "You're welcome, lad!"

Light footsteps echoed throughout the area as you made your way up the stairs. Along the way, you pondered Severa's dilemma.

How were you going to help her? What were you going to do to stop her obsession with her mother's reputation? How would you stop her pursuit for an ideal that was objectively impossible, by all accounts?

You made your way to the entrance, pausing to collect your thoughts before entering. Closing the door quietly, you assessed the situation before you.

Severa sat on the edge of the Queen-Sized bed, her eyes puffy and bloodshot for whatever reason. A line of dried tears ran down her face as she let out a sniffle.

Something must have happened recently. But what exactly happened?

With resolve in your mind and a desire to help your new friend in her time of need, you were going to go and...
[][Severa Situation] Write-In

Votes for the next chapter:
  • Deal
  • Severa Situation

Note from QM:

Man, I'm tired. My computer blue screened on me while I was halfway through this chapter, so I had to fix my computer and finish writing this on my phone. My phone.

On the chapter itself, more things are discovered. And man, you are cutting it close on your dice rolls. If it weren't for those bonuses on the first one... anyways. Will you take the deal or not? More than one Tactician? Also, your first write-in only vote. These are going to be few in number, so better try your best on this one :V! Also, I will keep this vote open for two days instead of my usual one day, in case you guys need more time to make one.

And don't worry. After this next chapter, you will be able to start doing training and such. And much, much more....

EDIT: 10/7/22, revised the flow of text in the chapter to make for a (hopefully) less painful reading experience via fixing past vs present tense issues.

Last edited:
[X][Deal] You accept the deal. You aren't scared and really, what's the worst that could happen?
[X][Severa Situation] Ask her whats wrong

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the Write-In really only affects how much support points you gain, how many things you learn about her situation.
You will never be able to fail these types of events, only social rolls, battle rolls, and other things.

Sorry that I forgot to clarify on that mechanic.

Last edited:
[X][Deal] You accept the deal. You aren't scared and really, what's the worst that could happen?

[X][Severa Situation] Invite her to play a game of some form to cheer her up, ignoring the tears at the beginning, and then ask her what happened once you believe you've improved her mood.

[X][Severa Situation] Ask her whats wrong, be willing to listen if Severa wants to talk and offer advice if necessary. If Severa isn't interested in talking, suggest something fun to take her mind off of her problem.

[X][Severa Situation] Invite her to play a game of some form to cheer her up, ignoring the tears at the beginning, and then ask her what happened once you believe you've improved her mood.

Vote is still open for about another day. Just checking to see where certain votes are at.
Some of the Write-In votes, such as the ones that begin with Ask What's Wrong, seem similar enough that I may decide to combine them together as the same vote.
Adhoc vote count started by ItzNarcotic on Sep 7, 2019 at 2:09 AM, finished with 9 posts and 9 votes.

• [X][Thoron] Ask your father what this book is. He might be mad that you took it and almost hurt yourself, but maybe he can help you?
    [X][Research] Read the book. It seems magical with its aura and could possibly have something to help you.
    [X][Severa Situation] Ask her whats wrong, be willing to listen if Severa wants to talk and offer advice if necessary. If Severa isn't interested in talking, suggest something fun to take her mind off of her problem.

Last edited:
Back