An Exploration of the Mortal Realms: An Age of Sigmar Thread

To be fair, that was already the case for a number of them (even aside from Settra).
For a non-zero amount, yeah. But a lot of it's also in various details and such.

For example, Tomb Kings as of 6E and 7E [and late 5E, for that matter] just. Were not Necromancers? At all? I mean sure: They controlled animate undead. That is, in many regards, 'necromancy'. But the Tomb Kings did not make the undead: The undead-ness was a result of Nagash's great ritual. Much of their legions were those whom were interred [with honor or not, voluntarily or otherwise] with them in their burial complexes. That or taken from rival Tomb Kings whom they conquered / diplomacy'd / otherwise seized control over via conventional means. And not, y'know. Dark rituals.

"But what about the Liche Priests? They do all those Invocations of Awakening and provide animacy to things like Ushabti and Bone Giants and Tomb Scorpions and such". Yes. And not a single one of those constructs is Undead or formerly alive. As for the rituals of awakening they aren't Necromancy proper but rituals to do just that: Awaken the sleeping dead. Who are asleep. Because of Nagash's ritual. A slim handful of royalty & Liche Priests are actually Necromancers, and a great deal of those are acolytes of Arkhan the Black [whom are, explicitly, the black sheep of post-ritual Nehekharan society because they have decided to throw their lot in with the Necromancer Nagash].

That example brought up as in many regards Tomb King ambitions of conquest were similarly "Mortal reasons enacted by immortal beings". Why does a King seek to expand their borders? Prestige. Resources. Maybe, in the case of a few polities, because they want living subjects [living being a very purposeful qualfier] and their current territory is inhospitable to life due to aforementioned Nagash Ritual. Maybe it's retaliatory attacks.

Point is, in the vast bulk of cases, if Tomb Kings are being reduced to a sort of "All will kneel [in death if not in life]" that just. Is such a distillation of what made them so unique and interesting. To file them down to a common denominator of what pop culture says is the most immediately identifiable, consumable, and knowable in existing markets. Which is why I'm hoping it's just them being glib / loose with lore [which, again, GW does all the time in its promotional stuff]. Because I love me more "Dead or not a King's a King" and have negative interest in "It's Lahmia and Von Carsteins but Stupid Aesthetically Sexy Egyptian Mummy flavor".

Finally I can feel my interest in Age of Sigmar being revitalised. It started with Ushoran's sexy model, then I started browsing Realms of Ruin footage, the new AoS game, which looks great by the way. And now I'm catching up on meta videos and probably lore videos soon.

Honestly? Can't wait to get back into it. I have a huge backlog of books and models to work on. Might start making actual threadmark worthy posts sometime soon.

There are way too many of them in AoS

Nonsense, there isnt any such thing as many elves, you always need more of it.

There's been speculation on Chaos Dwarves and Umbraneth being released any second now for several years. It's clear that GW has it up their sleeves, considering some leaks that we've had, but it seems that they're holding back for some reason.

Is there any hints from umbraneth elves? or what malekith is doing? also I hope he have a good model, this pic is awfull.

Is there any hints from umbraneth elves? or what malekith is doing? also I hope he have a good model, this pic is awfull.
I haven't been keeping up with AoS as much as I used to, and I have yet to read any of the Dawnbringer Crusades, the ongoing campaign series for AoS. Last thing I remember was when the Khainite Shadowstalkers, a unit made for Warcry that was integrated into Daughters of Khaine, was referred to as also being "Umbraneth" in a Warhammer.com article, which was later edited out.

Malerion is mostly in the background right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was reserved for 4th Edition.

So I am completely new to AoS, but the stuff on the Flesh Eater Court has my attention. Can anyone recommend some good entry ways into the setting and the the Flesh Eater Court specifically?

I am very familiar with Warhammer and have grabbed the books for the Soulbound RPG off of humble bundle a while ago, but little there on the Flesh Eater Court that I can see, so any recommendations would be helpful.

So I am completely new to AoS, but the stuff on the Flesh Eater Court has my attention. Can anyone recommend some good entry ways into the setting and the the Flesh Eater Court specifically?

I am very familiar with Warhammer and have grabbed the books for the Soulbound RPG off of humble bundle a while ago, but little there on the Flesh Eater Court that I can see, so any recommendations would be helpful.
You're coming in around the tail end of 3rd Edition, so if you don't mind waiting, you could prepare for 4th Edition Age of Sigmar or get the 3rd Edition Core Book. The Core Book is high quality and very dense, full of information that effectively summarises the setting and its details while broadly outlining everything involved, and even summarising previous campaigns.

But if you care specifically about the Flesh Eater Courts, the next Dawnbringers book is going to delve deeper into Ushoran and their antics, and there will be a new 3rd Edition book for them relatively soon.

In terms of Soulbound, I think @Andres is more knowledgable on that front. I believe he knows more about recent Soulbound releases than I do. I have some books, but I only read the core book. From my limited knowledge, I think the "Grand Alliance: Death" book almost certainly has stuff on them from the RPG's perspective.

Generally, the source that will almost always have the most information about any given faction is their battletome, along with the Age of Sigmar corebook for broad information on the setting. The Soulbound rpg corebook does feature a significant amount of information on the setting to get started with so you'll probably be good with that (playable flesh-eater court archetypes like Abhorrent Ghouls and Crypt infernal Courtiers are available in the Soulbound Champions of Death supplement if you get hooked on the ttrpg) to start off with

Outside of the FEC battletome, which I'd recommend holding off on for a little while, as the new one that'll be released with the recently revealed models will significantly update their lore and there's no telling what exactly might be kept or removed from their current battletome, so get the new one when it comes out

There are however some literature, both short stories and novels which features the flesh-eater courts in various way. Here's a suggestion of some titles that they feature in in no particular order, though I'll not say in what capacity they are featured.
Time of Plenty (Can be found in this post, along with many other short stories, as GW unfortunately removed it from their website)
Ghoulslayer
Undying King
He Feasts Forever
Red Knight (Can be found in the short-story collection Inferno! An Age of Sigmar collection)
The Missive (A mini-story connected to the current ongoing story narrative for AoS, the Dawnbringer Crusades)

Nonsense, there isnt any such thing as many elves, you always need more of it.

There's not really been much at all talked about them, last I know of was that we heard Tyrion and Malerion are busy trying to poke and prod eachother's forces through the big hole that connects their respective worlds, but that was a pretty long while ago and there's not been anything indicating when either one of them might join AoS proper

Last edited:
So for what I get which realm have being flesh up the most, from most to less, it will be like this:

-Ashy
-Ghyran
-Shysh
-Ghur
-Chamon
-hysh
-Uglu
-Azyr

There's not really been much at all talked about them, last I know of was that we heard Tyrion and Malerion are busy trying to poke and prod eachother's forces through the big hole that connects their respective worlds, but that was a pretty long while ago and there's not been anything indicating when either one of them might join AoS proper
They recently decomissioned all the High Elven models from the Cities range (well, the only ones left were the Phoenix Guard and Sisters of Avelorn) and all of the Wood Elves, while only keeping the Warscrolls of the Dark Elves for Cities.

My theory is that the Dark Elves are placeholders until a proper Cities Aelven range is established (or worst case scenario, they decide Cities is humans only and don't bother with Duardin and Aelves). Wood Elves I can see coming back as Kurnothi in the Sylvaneth range, something that already started with an Underworlds Warband, and I have a suspicion that Phoenix Guard might be "coming back" as a new model range with the Aelemental Temple of the Zenith in the next Lumineth range update if they decide Phoenixes is the theme they want to run with.

That'd be really terrible, because the mixed races & cultures make the Free Cities stand out
I agree. I'm a bit worried because the latest book has a huge human bias, with a lot of passive abilities being "Human only", probably for balance reasons, but still. It feels lopsided. I'd like to believe it's because they're the only ones getting new models, and the excuse GW give is that "they're putting the mortal back in the Mortal Realms" because other factions have Duardin and Aelves, and the only "human" factions are Stormcast and Chaos. Neither of which can actually be called "human" in the traditional sense.

I agree. I'm a bit worried because the latest book has a huge human bias, with a lot of passive abilities being "Human only", probably for balance reasons, but still. It feels lopsided. I'd like to believe it's because they're the only ones getting new models, and the excuse GW give is that "they're putting the mortal back in the Mortal Realms" because other factions have Duardin and Aelves, and the only "human" factions are Stormcast and Chaos. Neither of which can actually be called "human" in the traditional sense.
Is the only new non-human CoS model the one with an Ogor providing a fighting platform?

Is the only new non-human CoS model the one with an Ogor providing a fighting platform?
The new models are the Steelhelms, Freeguild Cavaliers, Cavalier-Marshal, Freeguild Marshal and Relic Envoy, Tahlia Vedra, Pontifex Zenestra, Freeguild Fusiliers, Fusil-Major on Ogor Warhulk, Freeguild Command Corp, Wildercorps Hunters, Ironweld Great Cannon and the Alchemite Warforger.

So yeah, that's the only non-human. Maybe you can include Pontifex Zenestra though, because she's a skeleton and her actual body is an illusion. Don't know what exactly she is, but probably not human anymore.

Another week, another tl;dr of Old World phases. This time: Combat. Some highlights:

1) We have clarification on how the one-at-a-time thing goes now. You declare one unit, resolve it, then move onto the next.
2) Charging does not provide automatically strike first, but it does provide a bonus to Initiative [whatever the bonus, it is less than +5].
3) Fighting is back to earlier editions'. Sort of. One rank of fighting, but the whole rank gets to fight and casualties are still removed from the back. As always modified by gear and special rules.
4) Breaking works significantly differently. Three different types of loss in combat, along with a new pursuit resolution.

Overall melee appears to be less all-or-nothing [if still the potential], but it's also harder to create an immobile battle line even with the likes of Stubborn or Unbreakable [throw 30 Hammerers into a slog, they might not break but may be pushed back half a foot over the course of combat].

I'll be honest, the rules for Old World do not inspire me with confidence. I think they're going back to the old WHF type rules, which is great for old Fantasy fans, but there is a reason I gave up trying to get into it. The rules are so dense and tedious to go through, and the games are so micro heavy that it just doesn't appeal to me.

Obviously there are fans of this type of game, but it seems to be hard to get into. And at least for me, I have negative interest in returning to the old ways of Fantasy rules.

I'm happy Fantasy fans are getting what they're used to, but it seems like it's just not for me.

Understandable. I'm moderately excited, with confidence in a few areas and hesitance in others. I enjoy that it seems to be moving away from a lot of 8E-isms (8E was god awful in regards to balance and did a lot to encourage deathstars), for example, but the emphasis on going wide has me cautious that they may not be dropping the oversized regiments (which are prohibitive in a cost and modeling perspective).

Understandable. I'm moderately excited, with confidence in a few areas and hesitance in others. I enjoy that it seems to be moving away from a lot of 8E-isms (8E was god awful in regards to balance and did a lot to encourage deathstars), for example, but the emphasis on going wide has me cautious that they may not be dropping the oversized regiments (which are prohibitive in a cost and modeling perspective).
It's extra bad because they encourage using ancient models for your armies, and no one wants to buy those. Unless you already have a stash of them tucked away, you won't be able to get into the game at all, except for a few newer models kept in circulation and some new releases.

This will continue to be the case until they refresh the old models, and who knows when that's happening. We better hope that the game doesn't incentivise huge armies. Hordes were a menace to the 8E landscape.

My theory is that the Dark Elves are placeholders until a proper Cities Aelven range is established (or worst case scenario, they decide Cities is humans only and don't bother with Duardin and Aelves). Wood Elves I can see coming back as Kurnothi in the Sylvaneth range, something that already started with an Underworlds Warband, and I have a suspicion that Phoenix Guard might be "coming back" as a new model range with the Aelemental Temple of the Zenith in the next Lumineth range update if they decide Phoenixes is the theme they want to run with.

Sp they drop the dark,high and wood elves once they introduce their AOC friendly versions?.

Sp they drop the dark,high and wood elves once they introduce their AOC friendly versions?.
Well, yeah. They've been using placeholder models from Fantasy for years now, so the goal is to eventually replace all of them with newer models that are more fitting for the setting.

Well, yeah. They've been using placeholder models from Fantasy for years now, so the goal is to eventually replace all of them with newer models that are more fitting for the setting.

Maybe wander what we happen to aleves already establish, like wanderer since to be phase up and it seen the other will follow once their AOS friendly counterpart are establish

Back