Does Gisena's option cost 0 Arete?!

It costs 28 Arete. Thanks for the info, Byzantine

Last edited:
*While powerful, part of the inherent price of extruding an Edifice is the knowledge of how it works - figuring out self-replication principles is essential to using it effectively.

Actually struggled a bit on that part. I wanted to limit it's true effectiveness to those who can recognize any replicated memories to be inherently equal to their original ones before realizes that that doesn't make sense since most people would feel mostly the same about both.

After that I decided of someone could figure out self replication they would deserve the power.

*Not only that, but more fundamental knowledge can be lost - if I make a sword that cuts the real from the ideal, I may lose the ability to separate the two in my own mind. Figuring out how to back up one's knowledge probably may not only necessary to be effective, but even to function as an artifact-user.

Exactly the point, give up selfhood for unparalleled might. As for the functioning aspect it was never the point to give up extreme portions of the self to gain decently powerful Edifices unless you really need that power boost.

*It's not obvious what happens if you're separated from one of your Edifices. That chains into the pair of modifications I would make:
-Since it doesn't quite seem to embody the concept of "beacon as origin point", I propose that soul-parts are entangled very deeply, beneath the level where "destruction" is a viable concept. The practical ramification is a linking in dreams and in fate; no matter how scattered or diminished, the components of an Inner Edifice reflect their completed whole, and are drawn together by ontology.
This mostly manifests as evil overlords, amnesiac craftsmen, and destructively retconjured people eventually reconstituting themselves, or at least having the option.

Honestly, never thought about the separation. Will include your suggestion in the morning as it makes the most sense and feels the best.

-The epiphany could use a bit more definition/tying into the rest of the system's themes. Probably something on the nature of knowledge and/or selfhood. Deviant epistemology.

The epiphany was the most questionable portion of the whole system for me. At that point I was bouncing between that and some sort of grand machine that gives people chosen by it the magical system and a teacher being needed to pass down the system by creating a Edfice which's sole purpose was to alter another's soul to use it.

In fact, I bet it's facilitated by a tiny, conceptual extrusion - the secret to its' making is the core of it. Might manifest as an extra couple of neurons, so it could be really difficult to figure out that's what's going on after the fact. I like that.

Far more depth than I have it to be when I created it to be honest.

[X] Forbear's Blade: All-Defeating Stance

Wow. I've been underestimating Pure Power EFBs.

Though buffing Gisena would also be pretty cool, I'll have to consider whether her having Total Eclipse would make it less appealing for us to take it.

[x] Renaissance Woman

Looks good to me. On top of the upgrades to her Graces to Maiden-tier and the tremendous stat boosts and the mimicking of Retinue, she gets a freaking EFB equivalent (Total Eclipse), because why not.

I must say, I am... actually tempted by Renaissance Woman.

It got a whole lot more effective value than just 25 arete.

Like, goddamn. There is, like, 50 Arete worth of piecemeal advancements packed into it?

Last edited:
It hurts to see your effort turned against you like this...!

Last time I asked you said getting a companion EFB would break the Special Advancement; did you change your mind @Rihaku ?

[X] The Ring of Power: Crimson Flare

I'm basically voting this so that the Evening Sky doesn't become even more obsolete, so that our greatest power aren't defined by aping the Forebear and so we can get that special advancement. Good combat odds id fine for me, and we did just vote Infiltration.

Jokes aside, Renaissance Woman provides:

• Stage 2 Mitigation of every single Curse.
• A super-combatant on par with Hunger
• A free bonus Lesser Remittance
• Autosuccess against the Temple

... aaaand Total Eclipse, which is an EFB by itself.

Even if we don't pick it up right now (which I wouldn't mind at all, both of the other options are sweet in their own ways), the obscene value of Renaissance Woman all but demands we pick it up eventually.

[X] Forbear's Blade: All-Defeating Stance

The not dying gang grows strong. Seriously, this alones wins the temple.

But question @Rihaku, in terms of survivability, how does renaissance woman stack against Crimson Flare?

Back