Now the question is, what happens if we don't take Gisena's option? She's still meditating for a power up after all, would it be a lesser version of what's on display if we splurge?

Also important to note
*Gisena, through observation of the mortal-perceptible components of Hunger's Progression, replicates the effects of the Lesser Remittance, Retinue, for up to one cardinality of infinite escalation.
She uses what she can glean on how Hunger's Progression works in order to get 1/4 of To Shatter Heaven, our 400% progression multiplier.

All I will say about this is become the forebear is an absolute nightmare. And getting ADS commits us to that path. I refuse. That is all.

Please read the blurb. The last bit literally says it doesn't.

Ah, my bad. With the info that it doesn't lock us out of either path, Renaissance Woman is an extremely strong contender.

It's basically an existing pure-potential EFB, except given to someone who already understands the mechanics and so can start benefiting near-immediately, plus a shitload of extra bonus stuff that's objectively worth way more than 3 AP.

Like, holy shit how is this even fair, it's like someone accidentally stapled two EFBs together.

[X] The Ring of Power: Crimson Flare
Gisena is tempting, but.
ADS is also tempting, but I still lean balance, for now...

[X] Renaissance Woman

This makes Gisena a force that will truly scale with Hunger. Total Eclipse is a potential type EFB and the rest brings her up to slightly above Hunger's current capabilities.

Losing the chance for an EFB for the ring is sad, but that is how things are.

Also mitigation of all of Hunger's curses. That is a grade A yes.

We can generate the 25 Arete needed later, this one just provides so much.

@Rihaku: I have to ask, since Gisena never actually used the 2 arete ability we purchased for her and this one appears to supersede it, do we get refunded that 2 arete?

... That Renaissance Woman option.

Is it basically the "Take this if you intend to take Gisena with you as a long-term companion on all your Geas of Indenture quests", option, @Rihaku?

Is this a Power EFB for Gisena, mixed Power/Potential, or...? It looks a bit weird, because stuff like Retinue (and "treated as having the Total Eclipse Advancement") makes it look like a high-Potential-weighted EFB, buuut... it also gives huge dollops of Power too...?

Is it 'balanced' by the fact that it all goes to a person other than Hunger? So that, it is not personal and innate power; it's a party member's power.

... Uh, also -- how does Gisena work in the Astral Rank system? That is, how does she do compared to Hunger, or to Avecarn? Does she hold a 'virtual' rank or...? Or does she actually hold an Astral Rank? And in either case, what is her Rank?
:rofl:

Although: Huh. All-Defeating Stance doesn't provide any Rank increases or Rank Bonuses, apparently? No Rank-related mechanics at all?

... But it seems to not matter. As Hunger's Rank of (... what is his Rank right now, actually? Is it 4.3 or 4.8 or something? I've been assuming it was 4.3 due to looking at the character sheet, forgetting the +Rank from Achievements, so...) 4-point-something would still let him steamroll Avecarn's 6.5 Rank anyway somehow?

Not merely a genius of one generation, nor of one era; hers is a greatness of mind and spirit that arises perhaps only once in the lifetime of a species. All-conquering talent that bestrides all fields and masters them beyond compare: only this genuine polymath can be said to embody the complete essence - the true quintessence - of humanity in the Maiden's image. Only so exalted a paragon can glimpse the mortal facings of Heaven's Lathe and depart with mind unshattered.
Huh. Really making me think back to The Fairest and Reminiscent Ivory and Pearl and Nio and so on.
*Gisena immediately acquires the Maiden-level Graces: True Perfecting Blade, True Nullity, and True Quintessence.
Oh, come on! And now even more-so. As both the Fairest and Ivory/Pearl were associated with, or allowed to bear, Odyssial's blade Ambition right? There were... 4 people in the world that could bear that thing, without Ody's explicity permission... meaning it'd be Ody, Pearl/Ivory, Lealope, and the 4th would had to have been The Fairest then, right?
*Gisena, through observation of the mortal-perceptible components of Hunger's Progression, replicates the effects of the Lesser Remittance, Retinue, for up to one cardinality of infinite escalation.
Up to one cardinality of...? Is that just a fancy way of saying "Yeah, this works as like the Lesser Remittance: Retinue, for a long-ass time. Basically, in any reasonable timeframe, yer not gonna run out of power on this thing."

But, to further clarify... Does that mean that Gisena can apply Retinue to Hunger and Letrizia? She can take a 25% x 25% penalty to her own progression, and in exchange give "Each advances in their primary area of specialization with Progression one-fourth the potency of your own"?

Really? Does... does that mean Hunger would get a 25% (of Gisena's Progression potency) boost to, what, Accretion? To Rank-increasing only? To getting Advancements?

Is this seriously a 25% (of Gisena's etc etc) progression boost?
*True Nullity: Gisena applies the effects of Grand Nullification upon all of Hunger's Curses; her nullity strikes with absolute force. This may improve over time.
Does this apply to the Doom of the Tyrant? Or not, because of Uttermost?

Also: having 3 Graces, huh... And learning from Hunger's Progression... Sort of reminding me of an Accretion's persons 3 Artifacts.

Also also, about Retinue:
[ ] Retinue - You may designate up to five members of your Retinue. Each reduces your rate of Progression by 25% multiplicatively. Each advances in their primary area of specialization with Progression one-fourth the potency of your own. Needless to say this is an outrageous and irreplaceable boon. Retinue companions are easy to add, costly to remove.

Your Retinue companions may with a short ceremony voluntarily pledge loyalty to any member of your retinue or yourself.
This axiomatically prevents that character from betraying the one to whom they have so pledged. Breaking a pledge is possible but is always time-consuming, obvious over any distance, extremely onerous and afflicts the forsworn with a particularly ironic flavor of the Apocryphal Curse centered upon themselves. Pledges can be voluntarily released by mutual agreement in a less time-consuming process.

You may pledge loyalty to Retinue companions as well. Pledges may be mutual or not, mutual pledges may be simultaneous or not. You must add a character to the Retinue before pledges (from or to) can be made.
Y'know, if that happens, then that would actually be kind of cool?

It would mean that in an upcoming update, the gang will be... holding a ceremony of friendship oaths and such.

...Also, since the ring is 24 arete and we have 27 we can probably buy it + a stance if we really want to, because I suspect this is going to be fraught.

I'm not going to be participating though. I'm out for the next ~20 hours. Cya.

She uses what she can glean on how Hunger's Progression works in order to get 1/4 of To Shatter Heaven, our 400% progression multiplier.
No, this is definitively better than that;
- You may designate up to five members of your Retinue. Each reduces your rate of Progression by 25% multiplicatively. Each advances in their primary area of specialization with Progression one-fourth the potency of your own. Needless to say this is an outrageous and irreplaceable boon. Retinue companions are easy to add, costly to remove.
This is not pedestrian To Shatter Heavens; this taps directly into Progression. It makes her, basically, a Cursebearer without Curses.

Last edited:

It's times like this that I kind of wish there was a way to pre-pick several build options in a row. Multiple 'Are you sure?' steps where one must re-fight the same fight again are less than ideal.

Up to one cardinality of...? Is that just a fancy way of saying "Yeah, this works as like the Lesser Remittance: Retinue, for a long-ass time. Basically, in any reasonable timeframe, yer not gonna run out of power on this thing."
It means that we can't increase the power of the remittance like we can with those we took personally.

It's times like this that I kind of wish there was a way to pre-pick several build options in a row. Multiple 'Are you sure?' steps where one must re-fight the same fight again are less than ideal.
I am, indeed, very tired of this. Especially since Rihaku has fun dropping new blurbs every time that make my life more difficult.

Anyway, seriously, cya tomorrow. This is stupid and I'm not fighting this shit again.

Last edited:
As previously mentioned, I think you guys are strongly overestimating the mental contamination that arises from options without the +Mental Contamination Attribute. Plus, Hunger already has Cursebearer-level soul and mental defenses, so the maximum permissible contamination is already capped.

Last time I asked you said getting a companion EFB would break the Special Advancement; did you change your mind @Rihaku ?

Taking Gisena's EFB-equivalent will not disqualify you for Trinity or the Forebear's Blade Special Advancements.

Even if we don't pick it up right now (which I wouldn't mind at all, both of the other options are sweet in their own ways), the obscene value of Renaissance Woman all but demands we pick it up eventually.

Eh, it is still 28 Arete. That's difficult to assemble at one time.

Um, It's clearly marked "Holy Shit."

Except probably Tyrant.

Though with time...

I'm sticking with the plan. I don't want to see a steamroll one way of another. This being a challenge would feel interesting. I also feel like it is pretty easy to underestimate the value of flare because of all gated behind the temple. With our Arete we can take flare then ennobling to gate our foot in the door and go from there.

All-Defeating Stance would allow for a form of diplomacy as well... gunship diplomacy. But yeah, all the options here are good.

... CAN we buy Renaissance Woman later? She's having her evolution /apotheosis (?) *now*

You can, but it won't be offered at every spending point. Gisena would have to evolve at an appropriate interval!

As previously mentioned, I think you guys are strongly overestimating the mental contamination that arises from options without the +Mental Contamination Attribute. Plus, Hunger already has Cursebearer-level soul and mental defenses, so the maximum permissible contamination is already capped.

Taking Gisena's EFB-equivalent will not disqualify you for Trinity or the Forebear's Blade Special Advancements.

Eh, it is still 28 Arete. That's difficult to assemble at one time.

Um, It's clearly marked "Holy Shit."

Though with time...

All-Defeating Stance would allow for a form of diplomacy as well... gunship diplomacy. But yeah, all the options here are good.

You can, but it won't be offered at every spending point. Gisena would have to evolve at an appropriate interval!
This convinced me. I'm all on board the sword train. I'm sorry magic-gang, but I really don't want to die.

Also, there are options, like enoble, that improve our mental health. We really should take them.

Last edited:
Back