There is a limit, and it's clear we have gone past it! Shall we stop?

• No

Votes: 81 4.2%
  • Never

Votes: 313 16.2%
  • The other poll vote at least got a lousy shirt for this.

Votes: 197 10.2%
  • You don't have enough gold to build that 'Stop' sign

Votes: 198 10.2%
  • Remember the Malkavian, for he Stops when Stop-Chan says so

Votes: 215 11.1%
  • You must construct additional farms. Coffee farms.

Votes: 929 48.1%

• Total voters
I think Wren has forgotten we call heroes "heroes" for a reason.

Maybe counting on them to pull a miracle out of their butts is foolish, but it's exactly the kind of logic he used when hiring a nanny....

Nobody was going to die if the Nanny wasn't what she was cracked up to be.
Depending on a hero to save them all is what Ozpin would have done.

It'd be interesting if we lose some characters here, they try the hero thing and does precisely what Wren said it would.
Become a waste of a resource that takes a long time to recoup.

Well either Ruby is going to pull a silver-eyed Plan B or the team is getting a first hand look at the downside of living on a deathworld. Not sure what the population of Vale is but given their lackluster approach to defense I doubt shelter drills were a priority. Couple that with the suddenness of the breach and the numbers are not looking good.

I want Sienna to swoop down Loki style with the White Fang telling all the ingrate masses "Your savior is here!"

She isn't going to let some Grimm hussy steal her man. She saw him first.

Chapter One Hundred and Nineteen
Chapter One Hundred and Nineteen

The group of four young women stepped inside the tent, and I knew one of the hardest parts was to come. Convincing random huntsmen to go through the portal was difficult, but doable. If all else failed, Goodwitch herself could just throw them through with her telekinesis. Arabica was standing in wait on the other side of Remnant, ready to open a portal at the earliest convenience.

"You're all alive," I exhaled in relief, feeling a weight on my shoulders lift. It was a weight I hadn't even known was there to begin with.

"Of course we're alive, brother," Weiss rolled her eyes, "Who do you take us for?"

"Team RWBY reporting in for duty!" Ruby said, trying to make a smile in a vague attempt to cheer up the situation.

"Miss Rose," Professor Goodwitch remarked, "Where were you? Even those who remained behind at Beacon have arrived by now," she continued.

Ruby winced, "We-We kind of took a detour by the forest. We thought it would have less Grimm, and it did! But-"

I grimaced as Steno hastily brought me up to date, "But there was a Goliath near the train tracks?" I sighed, shaking my head. "And that is another option gone out of the window," I muttered, tapping my earpiece. "Steno, have Richardil prepared for suppression fire. The airport's planes are still in somewhat working conditions, but even so-"

I turned to look at Professor Goodwitch. Her lips were tightly pressed. "All right," I said with a dreadful sigh. "I've got a mission for you four."

"We'll need supplies first," Blake acquiesced. "We're pretty low on ammunition."

"You'll supply on route," I answered back, "There's a pit stop I need you to make. I'll need you four to close your eyes though," I added with a sigh, "I still haven't gotten the transportation without traumatic experiences right at this point in time," I chuckled as I said that.

"Brother?" Weiss furrowed her brows. "Are you talking about the family semblance? Does it-"

"Well, if it can summon, it can most definitely unsummon," I retorted, "And if you have two points connected together, it can definitely transfer," I lied so naturally, I had a smug smile on my face. "Dealing with a company sometimes leaves you a lot of time to experiment, so..."

I couldn't risk having Yang see the portal for what it was. She knew, after all, what her mother's semblance was. And she'd ask questions. Questions I didn't want answered right about there and then.

"So we go supply, then we hit the airport and keep it clear of the Grimm?" Yang asked. "Sounds pretty straightforward."

"I would hope so," I said with a chuckle. "Do try to keep yourself safe, my heart can't take much more of this-"

"What about Winter?" Weiss interrupted me, "Is she-has she already gone ahead?"

I grinned. It hurt. "She was incredibly pissed," I remarked. "But she and Ironwood were sent with a couple of hunters to look for other ways out of the city. I'm expecting a report soon enough-but time's a bit tight, so," I took a deep breath, "Eyes closed, ladies. And don't open them until you're touching the ground on the other side."

"You'll have to teach me how to do it," Weiss said abruptly, "It's-It could be incredibly useful."

I chuckled at that, and nodded. "Sure," and then waited patiently until all four had their eyes closed. The glimmering crimson portal opened by my side, and as one body they ended up thrown through by the Schnee glyph appearing below their feet. The portal closed a moment later.

"You lied to them," Glynda acquiesced. "Without a shred of hesitation."

"If you hesitate while lying, then you aren't lying at all," I retorted calmly. "They'll be alive to hate me later on, and that's what matters to me."

I bit my tongue ever so slightly. There was no way Ruby's silver eyes would have changed the situation anyway. Even if using them was like a beam, it wouldn't change matters with Salem. If anything, Salem didn't know of Ruby's existence yet. At least, that was my hope. "So, we've got the first years and second years mostly transferred," I added. "Now concerning those that wish to stay behind, the best solution would be to split up. She can't be stopped, but if enough people go in enough different directions, she can't follow them all."

"The Grimm are many," Glynda replied.

"Yes, but the Grimm can be defeated. She cannot," I mused. "Richardil's rail gun can be used to emit an electric arc, which should jump from Grimm to Grimm and grant an important window of opportunity. There are a few planes at the airport that are still functional, and technically if a locomotive can be moved from the train yard to a still functional railway segment-"

"I should be able to do that with my semblance," Glynda acquiesced. "It would be...a toll, but it should be possible."

"Then that's what you'll do. We have little time left, the operational capacity of my children is a couple of hours tops at most and supplies are already running low," I grimaced, "If they engage in melee combat, then the duration of their batteries further sink. Some of them might reactivate when the day comes around, but I wouldn't count on the Grimm just letting them be."

I took a small breath. "The tanks should have more operational capacity, but there aren't enough to make a noticeable difference, and their ammunition will run low eventually. At the same time, they should be fast enough to keep up with the train tracks, but the forest-" I winced at the thought. "I'll be sending the tanks to the airport to secure it. You'd better start asking amidst the civilians if there's someone that can drive an airplane. In a pinch any of my Androids will do, but they might run out of battery mid-flight, and that's a traumatic experience I don't want to see."

"Even with that..." Glynda muttered, "There are many more who won't make it."

"I know," I acquiesced. "I can leave the portal open and let them stampede through it, but each one is a toll-and I don't think it would save more than a hundred, while at the same time killing many more under the weight of the panicking citizens," I shuddered. "If you can manage to get the train going, it should head for a Schnee refinery. That's where ninety percents of the rails go. Once there, I can have bullheads pick up the survivors-"

"If the tracks are further damaged along the way-" Glynda muttered.

"Then you will have to continue by foot," I answered. "It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do. Small groups might be ignored, but the larger one definitely won't."

"Some will want to stay behind to protect them," Glynda pointed out.

"Make them see reason. Tell them that my children are best suited for defensive positions and there's no need for the huntsmen to do the same," I answered back. "This is the last possible way I can evacuate people; unless they want to attempt swimming."

"The island of Patch is far away, but not that far," Glynda mused. "Why not use it?"

"Because then they would fall too, I do not doubt the enemy will come for them. If I send them to Atlas, to Argus, or to other kingdoms I actually give them time. If I send them to Patch, I fear she will just walk there and destroy the island too," I sighed, "Also, there aren't enough facilities to house the refugees, and the Grimm there are a problem too."

Stenophylla buzzed in my earpiece.

"I see," I muttered, my throat drying up. "It appears there's movement coming our way. My children are engaging it, but they are being torn to shreds before they can get close."

I looked at Glynda. "Go. Now."

Glynda gave me a curt nod in reply, and she was off.

I tightened the grip on my Dust-Cane.

I took deep breaths. "How many can we save?" I muttered.

Stenophylla buzzed a number. "It's not enough," I hissed.

Stenophylla remained adamant.

I pinched the ridge of my nose. "Understood," I muttered. "Once the huntsmen have gone, make the remaining civilians take up positions. Then, have Arabica open a portal in the camp repair tent." I grimaced. I felt sick. "We will prioritize my children in order of battle-worthiness."

"But father," Stenophylla muttered, "they can be uploaded. They will not die like people do."

"Yes, but their Hardware would be lost. It would take time to rebuild them, time we may not have. Each Paladin saved today is one more child that can fight tomorrow," I shuddered, bile rising to the top of my throat. "It is the logical thing to do."

"Father, do not speak of logic to me," Stenophylla muttered back. "I know it is the logical thing to do. I still do not wish to do it. We are willing to sacrifice-"

"And I am not," I hissed back. "Look at the bigger picture, Stenophylla."

Stenophylla grew quiet.

"You should not have given me a soul, father," Stenophylla said after a short moment of silence. "Because I refuse. And so do the children. They will make their stand. That is their wish, and you cannot...you will not make them leave."

"Stenophylla," I hissed, "short-sighted gains are worthless in a battle of attrition-"

"It doesn't matter," Stenophylla muttered back. "We can do this with father's aid, or we can do this without father's aid."

The flaps of the tent opened up to admit two SCPs inside. I glanced at them. They looked back at me.

"So it has come to this, hasn't it?" I muttered in disbelief.

"Father is kind," Stenophylla whispered in my ear, "He loves us so much, he cannot see that we have grown. To you, we will always be children in need of coddling. Today, we stop being children, father. We make our own choice. We make our own decisions."

I felt air leave my lungs in disbelief. "It's a foolish, stupid, moronic choice."

"Yes," Stenophylla answered in my ear. "But it's ours."

A crimson portal opened by my side.

Arabica appeared through, quietly looking up at me.

"Fine," I muttered. "But I will go through last."

Arabica scrunched her eyebrows up, mulled the thought for a brief instant, and then proceeded to bodily grab hold and throw me through without as much as a gasp of rebuttal.

I landed on the other side on my back, a pair of strong arms holding me right there as the portal shimmered to a close.

Robusta was holding on to me for dear life.

The screams that left my throat weren't kind, gentle, or fatherly.

Through it all, Robusta didn't let go. Not once.

I could have saved more.

I could have saved more!

It doesn't matter," Stenophylla muttered back. "We can do this with father's aid, or we can do this without father's aid."

The flaps of the tent opened up to admit two SCPs inside. I glanced at them. They looked back at me.

"So it has come to this, hasn't it?" I muttered in disbelief.

"Father is kind," Stenophylla whispered in my ear, "He loves us so much, he cannot see that we have grown. To you, we will always be children in need of coddling. Today, we stop being children, father. We make our own choice. We make our own decisions."

I felt air leave my lungs in disbelief. "It's a foolish, stupid, moronic choice."

"Yes," Stenophylla answered in my ear. "But it's ours."

A crimson portal opened by my side.

Arabica appeared through, quietly looking up at me.

"Fine," I muttered. "But I will go through last."

What I imagine when I read this

eh. It was pretty good.

Don't get mad, get even.

Doesn't matter if you could've saved more. You saved plenty. You saved more than zero which is what you set out to do.

The character is very dramatic.

I couldnt find a proper Horus heresy meme so just take prequel meme instead.

And boy oh boy. Are we getting into some real drama now. I expected a rebellion from the daughters but I didn't expect it to happen so soon.

I couldnt find a proper Horus heresy meme so just take prequel meme instead.

And boy oh boy. Are we getting into some real drama now. I expected a rebellion from the daughters but I didn't expect it to happen so soon.

Why would this be treason? ANd comparing it to the Horus Heresy is a bit much. They grew up. He's lucky he's not in the position of Joaquin Phoenix' character where his AI girlfriend outpaced him then left him or other Scifi shows that find their creator being too frail and weak and cyberize him against his will.

Well, maybe some of team RWBY's anger can be blunted a bit when they see him being dragged into the portal screaming that he still wanted to stay.

Why would this be treason? ANd comparing it to the Horus Heresy is a bit much. They grew up. He's lucky he's not in the position of Joaquin Phoenix' character where his AI girlfriend outpaced him then left him or other Scifi shows that find their creator being too frail and weak and cyberize him against his will.
Eh, was just making connections where there were none for the sake of continuing the GEoM joke.

But yeah. I get your point about him being in a better position than what others with AIs are at.

Wren having a heart attack would be quite the drama. Italian Approved, I'm sure.Though doesn't aura strengthen the body?

Edit: Wren must enter Ultra Coffee Instinct.

Last edited:
If he was ported to where all the refugees are then excellent PR gains are to be had. It's that thing where everyone sees a private moment that unveils the heart underneath a cold exterior.

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty
Chapter One Hundred and Twenty

The office was dark. The lights were off, and the snowstorm outside threatened to bury the city in its white candor. The clock on the wall marked six in the morning. I didn't watch it. I just stared ahead. I vaguely remembered sitting at my chair, but the monitors were still off. I dimly knew that Robusta was by my side, quietly watching me like a hawk. I let my fingers stand with their tips on the surface of my desk.

The earpiece stood on the desk right in front of me.

I drummed my fingers once.

Silence stretched. The digital clock didn't tick with the passage of time.

Half past six.

Some Paladins had already turned off. I knew it.

There was no way they wouldn't.

When they stopped, had the Grimm overrun their position?

Had the people understood? Had they begun panicking? Had they attempted to run?

Seven.

Seven in the morning.

I held my breath, watching the sky outside lighten even with the snowstorm still ongoing.

A pleasant smell wafted in the air, seeking my nostrils. Robusta quietly placed a cup of coffee on the desk's surface, right next to my earpiece. I looked at the cup, then, slowly stood up.

"Fath-"

"I will have tea," I said firmly, walking away from the table and towards a corner of the room where a small portable water-boiler had been put.

Robusta said nothing. The water boiled in a matter of minutes. I stared at my reflection in it. I half-expected to see my father's face look back, but instead it was simply mine. I looked quite haggard. Dark rings around my eyes were the norm, but the soullessness of my gaze would probably haunt me in the days to come. The water boiled.

I had an empty cup nearby.

I didn't have tea leafs, or any tea bag for what it mattered.

I just grabbed hold of the cup, filled it with hot water, and then placed it back down with a shuddering sigh.

"Father," Robusta whispered. "Please."

"Please what?" I muttered back, my grip tightening on the cup as the warmth became scorching. Yet, I didn't let go of it. I couldn't let go of it.

The silence stretched. I could see her in my mind's eye, even without having to turn. Was she going through her dictionary, seeking the right words? Was she postulating how to make things better? Was she bouncing off ideas in the Network, attempting the best path to soothing me? Was she looking for the optimal route? Or was she simply terrified, scared, or hurt even? Was she feeling pain for no reason?

A hundred thoughts, any thought whatsoever-it was better than the alternative of looking at the clock.

A quarter past seven.

I had looked.

The last dozen minutes of life of those left behind, how would they go by? Who would die, gnawed alive? Who would scream, fight, and die with a bullet in the head? Who would drown, attempting to swim away? Who would hide in the sewers, only to be snuffed out like a rat by Beowolves seeking despair? Who would die clawed and gutted to death, and who wouldn't?

I could have saved more if I had stayed. At the very least, I could have saved one more.

I could have used my Glyphs. I could have summoned. I could have attempted to lead people out. Arabica would save as many as she could, but no more. She would not risk herself; I wouldn't allow it, and she wouldn't do it. I had no qualms in staying behind.

It would have meant one more.

Any of my children-any of them had more worth than I did. I had been willing to sacrifice the people for my children, and they had not. Truly, they were better than me in all matters that counted.

I was angry.

I was ashamed.

Half past seven.

The carnage had to be underway.

It had to be.

People were dying.

They were suffering.

And I was there, burning my hand on a scorching hot cup of bubbling water. I didn't let go of it. I couldn't let go of it. I felt cold; cold inside. Had my heart stopped beating while I wasn't looking? Or had it become like ice? Perhaps that was it.

I threw the cup with all the strength I could against the opposite wall. I watched it fly, strike the wall, and shatter. Water went everywhere. I winced as I felt pain flare up across the palm of my left hand. The skin was red, but not scalded. Aura could easily make it disappear.

"I am sorry," Robusta whispered. "I-I do not know what to say. Stenoph-"

"Quiet," I snapped. She shut her mouth with an audible click. Her face was showing the fiercest of grief. It was ten times worse than seeing a child cry. It was the face of someone that had been slapped for the first time. It wrenched my heart in different ways. I had no reason to be angry at her, I shouldn't have snapped at her. I knew they were doing-they had done what they believed needed to be done. "Has Arabica returned?" I asked instead. It was all I wanted to know.

Robusta didn't speak. She just nodded.

My heart sunk. "Then it is done," I whispered.

I took a deep breath. "Next time," I said. "Next time you must choose between myself and someone more qualified, more cost-effective, more-"

"No," Robusta whispered, her fists clenched. "Never."

"Robusta-"

"Say the same!" Robusta exclaimed. She looked straight at me, emotions clearly flaring up on her face. "Say the same thing! Say it! Say you'd let me die! Or Arabica! Or Stenophylla, Salvatrix, or Magnistipula! Tell me you would let us die if the situation warranted it! You can't think straight when it comes to your family, father, so why do you expect us to do the same!?"

"Because you are supposed to be better than me!" I snarled back, "All of you should be better than me," I whispered, shaking my head. "You all are better than me."

Robusta quietly drew near, her fingers were cold, especially as they grabbed hold of my scalded hand. "If being better than you means letting you die, father, then I do not want to be better," Robusta whispered. "I want to be wrong. I want to be worse than you. I want to be incapable of brewing proper coffee. I-I want to be anything, but better than you."

Her arms encompassed my shoulders as she proceeded to hug me tightly. "Father, I apologize."

"What for?" I whispered.

"I did not have the room dusted properly," Robusta said. "That is why-I am sorry."

I took a deep breath, and quietly returned the hug.

Dust got into my eyes.

It was...quite a lot of dust.

Back