Had this on watch for a while, but never got to it before the hiatus.

[x] Accept both parts of the offer.

Adoption is more than just making use of a person. It reflects on your house just as much as the house reflects on the adoptee, which is the main draw of the deal for us. The Ambassador may be making a play, but he is betting big too.

I do not know how this offer would function partially. I suspect a talented nobody could be useful as a subordinate, but what is a noble without proper education?

[x] Accept both parts of the offer
Because I'm curious what will happen and as someone else stated, this is a chance we will likely never get again. It could also put us at an advantage against enemies, foreign and domestic.
It's all about power.

Well, first of all, my two cents regarding the quest: good style and a whole sea of esprit de corps. The latter is, perhaps, pretty thematic to the whole diplomatic & intrigue theme of the story.

As for the vote itself...

[x] Accept the apprenticeship but not the adoption.

Sure, adoption speeds up things a lot, but it also entails a certain vector of behavior and thus narrows the funnel of possibilities, putting one into the even less familiar playing field. Also, there will likely be a struggle for legitimacy against both the wider house and the system itself. And that's IF the guy is candid.

Pretty aware that this vote will change nothing, but hey - "discussion is the best thing since the sliced bread" is a tag for a reason.

Tears, Hunted
My name is Valeys Gael Fleur, Testaross formerly of the Line of Lachrymos. To See is to walk in a valley of tears. The federal year is 356 and to See is to be hunted.

They would call it the Argent Purge. I knew this because of my Sight. I knew it, but no one listened because I was an old man gone nearly blind who cannot often tell between now, yesterday, and tomorrow. I cannot tell whether the young Testaross at the snowy stone gate has happened already, is happening now, or has yet to happen. I can hardly remember the face of my dear Ana, her hair white and skin wrinkled while my hair was still dark and full and my skin smooth back then.

"Are we at Valla yet?" I asked the cart driver, feeling out for his shoulder to grip.

"We just left it, old one," the cart driver replied.

"I thought we were going there? Didn't we...just leave Timasus?" I wheezed out the question, suddenly short of breath.

"We are headed to Timasus, old one," the driver replied, clicking his tongue impatiently.

I laid back on the hay in the cart and tried to slow my breathing, to center myself properly in time and space. It only made it worse. Keeping my eyes open made my vision swim, seeing lines of potential in space —clouds moving through the sky this way and that, flocks of birds splitting in different directions through time. Closing my eyes made me see my own death.

The Sight —as the Elders called it, the magi called it prescience —was a fickle thing. It showed potential futures, whether it be seconds ahead or years. How far one could see forward in time generally increased with age, but could vastly vary between individuals. The Elders neglected to mention that it became more of a curse than a blessing in old age. For a time I could see years into the future, but now all I could see is my own death and after that, nothing. When one is used to seeing potential occurrences, the agency is confusing. What actions will lead to this void in the Sight? Can it be delayed? The Testarossa are long-lived, but no being escapes death.

They would call it the Argent Purge. A cabal of magi from the eastern states had subverted the Li'Shan Century that comprises the Royal Guard and used them to assassinate the High Monarch. Kain III had been a popular sovereign; the people were up in arms. Word had spread fast via the network of horse messengers that spanned the Federation. Anyone suspect of having inhuman ability or power was being hunted down in a nationwide purge.

The College of Artificiers felt the worst of it. A mob had stormed the College campus in Arcadia, dragging the magickal crafters out into the streets to be lynched or worse. The soulsmiths responsible for the creation of the Li'Shan — the clay men born in batches of one hundred — had somehow already fled the city, taking the secrets of their craft with them.

Not even the Testarossa were spared. Townspeople knocked down the doors of Testarossa magistrates, torches and pitchforks in hand. Testarossa soldiers and officers in the Guard were turned on by their own comrades. Those who were warned in time retreated to the Grand Estate, behind tall walls and a legion of loyal men-at-arms. I was not so lucky to be protected, cast out long ago by the Chamber of Elders for siring a child without the approval of the genealogical keepers. They had castrated me, amended my tattoo, and thrown me out.

"Where is your travel authority?" I heard a voice ask.

"What travel authority?" My companion, the cart driver, asked in reply. I could hear a bit of nervousness in his voice. "They asked for nothing of the sort in Valla."

"New rules, comrade," the voice answered firmly, with a tinge of annoyance. I could hear the rustle of other people around the cart. The cart was at a full stop, the horses snorting and huffing ahead of us.

"What new rules? We just left Valla a day ago," the driver complained. "A new law could not have been promulgated that quickly."

"We will not ask again," another voice said, aggression in their voice. I could hear people surrounding the cart.

"I only have my cedula," my companion answered. His tax papers. He must have been sweating by then, in the sun beating down on us and the pressure of the situation. I pulled my straw hat down to cover my face and hopefully my ears.

"Those will do fine," was the reply. "How about your passenger?"

I hunched down in the hay of the cart's backend, trying to make myself seem smaller than I already was, a hunched old man.

"Yes, old one, where are your papers?" Another voice asked me, coming around near the back of the cart.

"I have none," I croaked out. "Haven't had to pay taxes in years."

I resisted the urge to pull down my hat any further. It was true, I'd been on the road for so long, jumping between towns and villages on carts and wagons. Hadn't stayed long enough in any one place for me to pay taxes. My money was nearly out but reading fortunes was not something I would risk my life with in the current political climate.

"Hold on, old one. Are your ears...pointed?" A hand grabbed the edge of my hat. I tried to hold it in place, but my arms were feeble.

I could feel the points of pitchforks and spears pointed at me. Ah, so this is where this darkness comes for me. Tears rolled down my eyes, small droplets reflecting the sun like silver.

My dear Ana, I will see you again, I thought.

I closed my eyes and thought of her. Tried to picture her face right before she died, old and wrinkled like mine was now. I hadn't stayed by her deathbed, couldn't stand seeing her die of old age while I was still almost as young and spry as she was when we first met.

"Die, you inhuman wretch."

Metal points sank into my skin but I could barely feel them, my senses dulled by the Sight.

They would call it the Argent Purge.

Locking the vote here. Accepting the entire shebang takes the vote. Plenty of good discussions that I will incorporate into Kythe's thoughts and introspection. Writing now!

The protag's parent story, huh

nvm, brainfartin'

Last edited:
[X] Accept both parts of the offer.

You don't dangle mystery boxes like that in front of us, and not expect us to choose them.

Edit:Damn, didn't notice vote was locked. oh well.

Chapter 2.5
You wait a while for the convoy to fade into the distance before you mount your horse. It whinnies when you jump up onto it and pull it away from grazing. Ambassador Valt has given you a day to think about his offer and it won't help your thought process if you stay too close to where he is in the main body of the diplomatic convoy.

You put your horse into a trot, directing it away from the convoy. Over the course of the day, you zigzag back and forth, keeping a minimum and maximum distance from them. You only return to them once they've made camp for the evening. You're confident that Sergeant Tack can handle your section for the day so you spend it riding barely within sight of the caravan, alone for the most part with your horse and your thoughts.

There are many things for you to consider about Ambassador Valt's offer on apprenticeship and adoption. You remember the three modes of persuasion: ethos, pathos, and logos. Credibility, emotion, and logic.

Ethos.

Valt certainly has impressive credentials. He may look young, but you doubt the High Monarch would have appointed someone unqualified and for the twenty-six electors of the National Diet to have confirmed an unqualified appointee. Valt had served in the Federal Guard, no doubt more than the minimum three years required to claim his political franchise. He'd risen to the rank of lieutenant colonel and commanded an entire cohort in the 14th Legion. You recall that the 14th Legion is currently posted to the western Martial Provinces, fighting off raiders from the Alven Enclaves.

Valt is academy-educated, his degree granted by the state academy in the capital city of Arcadia, no less. You had considered attending an academy after you reached your age of majority (eighteen) and performed the rites of adulthood, but Ma Kiara had suggested that you earn your political franchise first by serving in the Guard like she did. She always teased Pa Maxxon that he couldn't vote, and told you not to be like him. Attending an academy could come after military service, and with free matriculation to boot due to serving.

Even if he wasn't academy-educated, you suspect that he'd already been better educated than most. Valt is a nobleman, and not just of any House. Valt Corentin Aimer, Testaross of the Line of Lachrymos. While every Iliad is entitled to a state-sponsored basic education until they reach the age of majority, every one of your peers in the state school in your hometown of Valla was a commoner. Valla has a few aristocratic manors in its vicinity, but none of the noble children attended the state school. You know that a few of the well-educated townspeople, Magister Tommen included, are occasionally hired as tutors by the noble families occupying the manors. You can only imagine a House with the stature of Testarossa does more or less the same.

Pathos.

You know little of Ambassador Valt on a personal level. From your first interaction, he looked down on you, a Testaross without a tattoo to chronicle their lineage. His approach to you changed once you beat him in a mock duel. He seemed to notice your prescience, your ability to See seconds ahead into potential futures. Let's even the playing field next time, he said. Does that mean he also possesses the same skill as you?

When he approached you with this offer of apprenticeship and adoption, you noticed that he wasn't exactly sober. His intensity was almost scary but also inspiring; the way he dominated the conversation and your line of questioning towards the answers he wanted to give. You imagine that it must be a skill that's required in his line of work, directing and guiding discussion towards what one wants out of it, to achieve one's aims in a negotiation.

Dominating though he may have been in the questioning, you could detect no ill intent from him. He seemed straightforward and brutally honest with his answers. You're inclined to trust him, assuming that he was being entirely candid with you. The intensity of the way he answered why he was offering this to you... I will not sire children of my own blood. But I am obliged, compelled to leave a legacy. A candid answer, yes, but he still hid something behind his words. Surely every man, if not every being, is compelled to leave a legacy of their own, something to leave behind when they're gone. If not a basic fact about life, it's certainly something cultural among humans. But it makes you wonder, in a House so obsessed with genealogy, lineage, and heredity, why won't he sire children of his own blood?

Logos.

He's offering you the chance of a lifetime. An apprenticeship to a prominent state official and adoption by a nobleman. It's upwards mobility for you in both your career and your social status. He may have changed his tact after you beat him in a duel, but prior to that, you may have just been an unproven nobody to him, a foundling without a lineage to speak of and a probationary officer who had nothing to show for just yet.

You may be gaining big in this setup, but the ambassador must be betting big too. Your adoption into the House will mean significant gains for you by the reflection of their status upon yours, but your status will reflect equally upon the House as well. He stated that he'd fight against the Chamber of Elders for your adoption, and you can't imagine that he isn't making some kind of play for him to risk such a conflict. He said he expects a dutiful son and apprentice, but his expectations may be greater than one might ordinarily conceive.

In the end, this is about power. Power for you to rise up in Iliad society and state apparatus. Power for you to defend the Federation from enemies within and without. Power of the House Testarossa over you. Power of Ambassador Valt over you.

It's a big risk but not something you're going to let pass you by.

It's almost sundown. The diplomatic mission should be making camp by now. You kick your horse into a gallop and make for the convoy.

You make a beeline for the ambassador's tent once you've picketed your horse among the rest of the convoy's animals. Vasili spots you and tries to get a word in, but you wave him off, telling him you're on urgent business. The guard posted outside the ambassador's tent waves you without a word. It seems you're expected.

Major Isidora and the ambassador are looking over a map inside the tent when you walk in. Major Isidora looks up, concern on her face, seeing a junior officer walk in unannounced.

"3rd Lieutenant, can I help you with anything?" The major asks you.

"Actually, major, if you'd excuse us," Valt chimes in. He smiles warmly at you.

"Ambassador?" Major Isidora is a bit surprised to be dismissed so promptly.

"If you'd please," Valt replies, motioning to the tent flaps.

"By your will, Honorable," Major Isidora says, huffing and straightening her uniform. She exits the tent, leaving you and Valt alone.

There's an awkward silence as you stand there at attention and the ambassador peers over the map on the table for a few moments more before looking at you.

"You have an answer," Valt states matter-of-factly.

"I do," you say.

"Well, don't make me read your thoughts for it," the ambassador chuckles, before sitting in a chair and drinking from a skin.

"I accept," you tell Valt.

"Both the apprenticeship and the adoption?" He asks, taking another sip.

"I wasn't aware that I had the option of just one or the other. How would that work?" You figured it was either both or neither. A package deal.

"Well, the question is moot if you're accepting both," Valt says. He looks back over the map, then continues talking without glancing up at you. "Move your tent next to mine. If you're sharing yours, that won't do. Request one from the quartermaster."

"Yes, ambassador."

"Call me Valt." He's still poring over the map of what looks like the border marches.

"Yes...Valt," you say hesitantly.

"We start tomorrow," he says before looking up. "You're dismissed. Tell the major to come back in if she's outside."

"Yes, Valt," you say, bowing.

"We start tomorrow, Kythe."

Major Isidora is waiting outside. She raises an eyebrow when you emerge from the tent and tell her she can resume her business with Valt.

You come to learn that Ambassador Valt is a grueling taskmaster. He separates you from your section when they're not on assigned duty as close-in guard for him; you ride by his side every day.

Every morning you report to Valt's tent. He inspects your person, checking you for general hygiene and cleanliness. You're expected to have your nails trimmed, your teeth brushed, the hair on your head trimmed short and kept clean, your face clean-shaven every day. He teaches you how to use a straight razor and how to maintain and sharpen one. He even gifts you one of his own, an ornamented piece with handles made from mother of pearl. You're left with bloody nicks for a week or two before you get the hang of it; your face is bandaged for the first time since basic training.

"I won't have you looking like a ruffian off the streets or even a vet deployed for too long. You will keep your cleanliness to a standard that matches my own," Valt tells you. "If you must grow a beard, I expect it to be trimmed and oiled. In other words, well maintained."

"Yes, Valt," you manage while using his gift for the first time in front of a mirror.

He's surprised that you never learned how to barber in your four years so far in the Guard. The ambassador procures a bundle of blades and scissors every week and trims your curly top. He teaches you how to cut hair with himself as your first test subject, but when you screw up, he gives you some stern words and calls for random troopers instead until you get the hang of it. You stick to giving crew cuts for a while. He gives you another gift, a jar of beeswax, to keep your hair tidy and in place.

You thought your trainers in basic were strict.

He expects you to be in his tent before wakes, standing at attention for your inspection. You take your breakfast together; it's simple fare from the camp kitchen, the same thing you ate before you took up this apprenticeship. The only thing different is the wineskin that he keeps on his person at all times. He doesn't offer you any, not that you'd want it.

Ambassador Valt wastes no time with his attention to your education. Over the ensuing weeks spent traveling towards the Goliatun capital of Necessa, he assesses your education thus far — what you've learned as a boot in the Guard, as a candidate in officers' school, and your basic education as a child. Every waking moment you spend by his side, even during meetings with the top cadre of the cohort and his diplomatic staff. You get some raised eyebrows, especially from Vasili, but no one says a word in the ambassador's presence. Or your presence for that matter, but they've become one and the same. The ambassador does not even pause during meals, engaging you in conversation about politics, military strategy, and philosophy. During the day, you ride side-by-side as he quizzes and instructs. He spares you from no subject, be it the natural sciences, the social sciences, the study of Iliad society and culture, and even the arts.

I've made some changes to how Aptitudes and Skills work, please check Kythe's character sheet for details. Please don't hesitate to ask for any clarifications. The system I'm using is heavily based on Dark Heresy 2nd Edition.

Valt addresses your weaknesses in natural ability and subjects you to grueling training alongside attending to your education.

Pick two:
[] Your weakness in the social arena. Up to now you've been a commoner; he does not blame you for the circumstances of your birth but still addresses this aggressively. (Gain the Fellowship Aptitude)
[] Your weakness of rationale and logic. You did not have the same kind of education as him. You were taught skills in school that would help you function in society, but very seldom did they teach you to question and think. (Gain the Intelligence Aptitude)
[] Your weakness of senses. You've been too reliant on your telepathic ability. The tundra of the Necessity is the perfect place to train this. (Gain the Perception Aptitude)
[] Your weakness of body. You've never been strong physically despite being a good fighter. (Gain the Strength Aptitude)

[] Your lack of physical grace. Valt teaches you to ride a horse better, to dance, to be light of foot, calligraphy, painting, etc. (Gain the Finesse Aptitude)

Last edited:
[X] Your weakness in the social arena. Up to now you've been a commoner; he does not blame you for the circumstances of your birth but still addresses this aggressively. (Gain the Fellowship Aptitude)

This one is overwhelmingly obvious. We're going to become a diplomat AND a noble, this is what we need above all. Now, the second choice is more difficult, but in the end I think I'll go for...

[X] Your weakness of senses. You've been too reliant on your telepathic ability. The tundra of the Necessity is the perfect place to train this. (Gain the Perception Aptitude)

All options have merit. Intelligence seems fitting for Kythe's character and mission, as well as tied to a good selection of skills (at least, going by the Dark Heresy system), but I don't think having an aptitude for it would really help us solve intelligence-based problems. The way it seems to work so far is that we can ask for more information regardless of whether we have a knack for it, and then we make a decision based on what we know, without being pointed at the "right" direction. I don't think Kythe getting an aptitude for being clever would make the actual decision-making any more intelligent, and I'm all for tying stats to narrative as much as possible, so this won't be my choice.

Strength might help us in dealing with the Goli, and enhance our performance in melee somewhat, but... first, there doesn't seem to be a straightforward "+SB to melee damage" in this system, or rules for carrying weight, so our mechanical options are once again limited, and second, I just don't see Kythe as someone with an aptitude for brute strength. At all. He's a telepath, he's clever, he's agile... and speaking of agility,

Finesse was actually my first thought. It fits for a scorpion style, it'd let us dodge and shoot better, and even though we haven't done much with ranged weapons yet, it still sounds nice to make actual combat somewhat less risky. But as a diplomat, when would we ever want to get into actual combat, and what are the chances it's going to be ranged?

Compared to that, Perception looks like the best choice. In any social encounter, we might need Scrutiny; in any combat encounter, we might need Prescience, which is likely also Perception-based; and just in general, I think this fits Kythe well and would be useful in most circumstances.

Last edited:
[X] Your weakness in the social arena. Up to now you've been a commoner; he does not blame you for the circumstances of your birth but still addresses this aggressively. (Gain the Fellowship Aptitude)
[X] Your weakness of senses. You've been too reliant on your telepathic ability. The tundra of the Necessity is the perfect place to train this. (Gain the Perception Aptitude)

@Somic Solid points all around.

[X] Your weakness of rationale and logic. You did not have the same kind of education as him. You were taught skills in school that would help you function in society, but very seldom did they teach you to question and think. (Gain the Intelligence Aptitude)

Just a generic diplomatic combo with the accent on realpolitik.

We're going to become a diplomat
Are we? Just because our foster father and patron is one doesn't mean we are expected to follow the same path. His offer specifies nothing about our future career.

Moreover, our merits were deemed enough to grant us the rank of a Consul. We are hardly lacking in social graces, even though there is always room for improvement.

We are going to be rather close with Ambassador; are we going to be more useful doing his job, or is there something else we could be doing for him? I fancy ourselves a field agent more than an official.

[x] Your lack of physical grace. Valt teaches you to ride a horse better, to dance, to be light of foot, calligraphy, painting, etc. (Gain the Finesse Aptitude)
[x] Your weakness of senses. You've been too reliant on your telepathic ability. The tundra of the Necessity is the perfect place to train this. (Gain the Perception Aptitude)

[X] Your weakness of rationale and logic. You did not have the same kind of education as him. You were taught skills in school that would help you function in society, but very seldom did they teach you to question and think. (Gain the Intelligence Aptitude)

Because being perceptive and smart is very important. It could save his life.

[x] Your weakness of rationale and logic. You did not have the same kind of education as him. You were taught skills in school that would help you function in society, but very seldom did they teach you to question and think. (Gain the Intelligence Aptitude)

[x] Your lack of physical grace. Valt teaches you to ride a horse better, to dance, to be light of foot, calligraphy, painting, etc. (Gain the Finesse Aptitude)

I fancy ourselves a field agent more than an official.
That could have been done if we had accepted only the apprenticeship, but as it stands, we will be adopted into nobility, and Valt expects us to be a good son to him. We can't rely on him to guide us through the high society, because we will outlive him and be on our own one day, and as was shown in the chapter itself, we need effort to adapt to even the basics. Being a noble is a speciality of its own, and we accepted it, so we damn well need every advantage we can get.

Not to say we can't also act in the field, we are quite talented.

True, but the point I want to make is, if the country expects Kythe to not make an embarassment of himself, he is probably at least competent in that regard.

Outliving a Testaross is not an immediate or even a short-term concern, so while we are expected to stand on our own, we hopefully have decades to live into a new role. And I'd like to note that "living" is the biggest part of "outliving", so to me it makes sense to stress some of the physical aspects more directly related to our survival.

But ultimately it's a choice of a direction to take the character in, and I'd like for our character to become something Valt can not.

Last edited:

Smart and Convincing, perfect for what i imagine Kythe to be like.

Edit: Noticed the tie, fixing since i was considering it anyway.

Last edited:

[X] Your lack of physical grace. Valt teaches you to ride a horse better, to dance, to be light of foot, calligraphy, painting, etc. (Gain the Finesse Aptitude)

[x] Your weakness in the social arena. Up to now you've been a commoner; he does not blame you for the circumstances of your birth but still addresses this aggressively. (Gain the Fellowship Aptitude)
[x] Your weakness of rationale and logic. You did not have the same kind of education as him. You were taught skills in school that would help you function in society, but very seldom did they teach you to question and think. (Gain the Intelligence Aptitude)

Adhoc vote count started by Volfaren on Aug 15, 2021 at 8:46 AM, finished with 13 posts and 11 votes.

• [X] Your weakness in the social arena. Up to now you've been a commoner; he does not blame you for the circumstances of your birth but still addresses this aggressively. (Gain the Fellowship Aptitude)

Looks like Fellowship and Intelligence have the vote. Locking the vote here, update to follow in a few hours hopefully.

Chapter 2.6
A week into your apprenticeship. You're in the middle of breakfast, but Valt isn't barraging you with his normal question-and-answer, back-and-forth instruction. You look up at him from your food, wondering what changed today. You squint your eyes at him. Aha! The man has dark bags under his eyes. He must be sick.

"What's wrong with your…?" You make a circular motion with your hand in front of your face, then point under your eyes where eye bags would be.

Valt glares at you before he opens his mouth.

"That's a serious question?"

"…yes?" You reply, quizzically.

"Surely, you must be jesting," the ambassador answers in a tone that you don't quite recognize. You try to decipher it but to no avail.

"I'm not very good at jokes," you tell Valt while grabbing a dumpling from the serving platter with your fingers. Your hand is halfway to your mouth when he raps your knuckles with his spoon. You hiss in pain and drop the dumpling. It falls to the dirt and you dive to pick it up.

"YOU FUCKING BOOR!" Valt yells. The sentry outside sticks his head in through the flaps of the tent to check what's going on but pulls back out when Valt waves him away.

"You want to eat food that's fallen to the ground?!"Valt exclaims in another tone you can't identify. You shrink away from the fallen dumpling as he shouts at you.

"What, did you grow up starving on a farm?!"He continues.

"Yes," you answer.

Valt pinches the bridge of his nose between his fingers. "Ancestors, preserve me…"

"What?"You ask, crouched, still hovering over the dumpling.

"Surely, you jest?!"He asks once again.

"N-"you begin.

"Don't answer that, damn it!" Valt stamps his foot down. "Out of my sight, NOW!"

You bow and quickly retreat from the ambassador's tent to avoid his ire any further, your meal for the morning forgotten on his table. He doesn't talk to you for the rest of the day, riding in silence in the middle of your section's square formation. When he does talk, it's to make comments to Sergeant Tack that you don't hear.

When evening comes and the company makes camp, you still set up your tent next to the ambassador's, but take your meal alone near the camp kitchen. One of the guardsmen from your section approaches while you're in the middle of eating.

"He wishes to see you, lieutenant," Trooper Loque tells you.

"The ambassador?"You ask.

"Who else…" Loque starts, then quickly adds. "…sir."

"Could be second lieutenant Vasili," you mumble to yourself. You finish your meal then head to the ambassador's tent.

Upon entering, you snap to attention. The ambassador is slouched in a chair facing the entrance, drinking from his usual wineskin. You crinkle your nose; you can smell the liquor.

"Do you have any friends…Kythe?" The ambassador asks. "Name five."

You try to avoid looking up at the tent above to think of five friends.

"Vasili… Sergeant Tack…"You start.

"Besides them," Valt says. "They, they don't count."

"Why not, si- Valt?" You ask. He squints his eyes at you.

"You've lost given-name-privilege." He wags a finger at you. "They don't count, I'll explain later. Just name five friends of yours."

"Noted, sir," you say. You take a few moments to think. "None besides them."

"I thought so," the ambassador says, pinching the bridge of his nose again. "Siblings?"

"Three sisters," you say, then add: "Adopted. Part of the creche."

"You don't say?" he asks while closing one eye to look into the mouth of his wineskin. "You get along?"

"Not well," you admit, sullenly, looking to the ground. "Not since they reached maidenhood."

"Figures," Valt remarks, tipping the wineskin over his tongue to let the last drops drip out.

"What do you mean, sir?"You say, tipping your head to the side.

He doesn't answer your question, but replies with one of his own: "Kythe, you know what your problem is?"

He jabs a finger at you. "Don't. Answer. That. It was rhetorical."

He continues. "You have no tact. You have raw talent for things, but you lack charm, subtlety, manners, everything. Your only friends in the cohort require no effort on your part. You shared a tent with lieutenant Vasili. Tack is your sergeant."

He pauses to look back into the mouth of the skin. "But I can't blame you. You were brought up on a farm by creche parents in a village in I-don't-know-where-Province."

Ambassador Valt looks you straight in the eye. "But that's no longer an excuse. No son of mine will be called a boor by anyone besides me."

"Sir."You say, not sure how to respond.

Valt exits his chair, leaving his wineskin on the seat, and walks over to you. He pokes you in the small of the back.

"First things first. Posture. The way you carry yourself matters," he says, fussing over the way you stand. "Back straight, chin up, eyes forward. What, did they not teach you this in basic? Candidacy school? What are they doing to my beloved Guard? Feet at a forty-five-degree angle. Now…walk."

He stomps his feet when your posture loosens as you walk.

"No, not like that, again!"

This takes up the rest of the evening. It becomes part of your daily inspection. He watches your posture like a hawk from then on. He produces a wooden switch the next day to whip you with whenever he's displeased.

The next lesson is how to drink tea properly.

"You don't say?"Ambassador Valt says. Then he asks, "What tone was that?"

He's training you to read tones of voice and body language.

"Sarcastic?"You wonder out loud.

"Are you sure?"Valt rolls his eyes. "Give me an answer with conviction."

"That was sarcasm, sir," you answer.

"Good. Next…" Ambassador Valt crosses his arms and legs in his seat. "Well?"

"Closed body language," you note. "Uncomfort."

He uncrosses his legs and places his hands facing up on his legs.

"Open. Some level of comfort."

"Correct."

Once Ambassador Valt is satisfied with your ability to read his simulated expressions, tones of voice, and body language, he starts setting up a new environment to train you. He arranges for the officer corps of the convoy to start formally dining in his tent. A long table has been set up, with five seats on each side and one at each end.

Major Isidora files in with her officers behind her. She takes her seat at the ambassador's left. Valt sits at the head of the table. From the major's position next to Valt, seating is by decreasing seniority towards the other end of the table, then wraps around until it arrives at you - the most junior officer - seated at the ambassador's right.

The ambassador takes his seat first; everyone else follows in cadence. Normally in such a formal setting, the ambassador tells you beforehand, the males would help the females into their seats, but for the major's sake, such a practice isn't observed. A Promachi like your ma, Isidora is touchy about gender roles.

Guardsmen come into the tent with the evening's meal, laying it out on the table before the assembled company. Valt takes the first bite from the food. An old practice, wherein the host tastes the food for poison before his guests partake.

"It's good," the ambassador says after swallowing. He raises his hand to signal for the rest of you to help yourselves to the meal.

Major Isidora sits stiffly, slowly cutting a chunk of meat with a fork and knife. You notice Valt points his eyes at you then at the woman across from you. He wants you to make small talk.

"Major, what do you think about atoms?"You ask, carefully remembering to swallow your food before speaking.

"Pardon?"The major replies, looking up from slicing her food.

"Atoms, major. The smallest unit of matter," you quote from your lessons with Valt, "That cannot be split into anything smaller."

"I don't think I follow," the Major says, raising an eyebrow.

Ambassador Valt kicks you in the shin from under the table. You try not to let a sound out when his booted foot makes contact with your bone.

"Something wrong?"Isidora asks when she notices you grit your teeth in pain.

"No, nothing, just making small talk," you reply, emphasizing your last words in the direction of the ambassador.

Valt stands up from his seat. He raises his wine, the drink precariously sloshing up against the lip of the goblet.

"I'd like to congratulate the company for being the first unit of the Guard this far north. We are halfway to Necessa, according to the guides."

Major Isidora stands up and raises her goblet likewise. "Congratulations to us, and you, sir."

The men and women assembled echo the sentiment and sip from their drinks. The ambassador takes several gulps from his own.

You keep quiet the rest of the meal, trying to think of things to say to the major, but come up with nothing. The dinner passes without much ado as the ambassador takes over small talk with the rest of the officers.

"You'll get there," Valt sighs after the meal ends and the rest of the officers have left.

You enter the ambassador's tent one evening after helping make camp. Oil lamps are illuminating the interior of the tent, but Valt himself is nowhere to be found. From the main room of the tent with its large table set for later's formal dining, you peek into the adjoining quarters where Valt sleeps to check if he's already taken to bed. There's a lamp on and his cot is made. Not here either.

"What are you doing?" You hear from behind you. It's Valt. You turn back from peering from his sleeping quarters.

"I said, what are you doing?" Valt raises his eyebrow at you.

"Couldn't find you," you say. "Was checking if you were already asleep."

"You wish," he replies. "No, we have much to do this evening."

He's carrying a large wooden box in his hands, a large roll of parchment tucked underneath his arm.

"What's that?" You ask, tilting your head to the side with curiosity.

"Didn't I tell you to stop doing that?" Valt asks with an annoyed tone. Yes, annoyed would be correct, you think.

"Doing what?"

"Tilting your head. Telegraphing your moods, emotions, feelings, et cetera. It will be used against you in the political and diplomatic arena."

"Oh," you say. "Sorry."

"Don't tell me you're sorry," Valt clicks his tongue. "Improve. Anything you do reflects on me."

"Yes, sir."

The ambassador sets the box down at the head of the table then unfurls the parchment roll so that it covers the table. It's a map of the Continent. The landmass is drawn in black ink, borders delineated by red, and the names of nations written in white. The parchment of the map is quite old and stained with use, ink smudging in places where the material rubbed against it or objects were placed and moved. There's a big blank space in the northwestern part of the map, west of the Necessity and north of the Alven lands.

"What's there?" You ask Valt, pointing at the blank space.

"We don't know. Small people, dwarves, if you believe the Alvs," the ambassador answers, pointing at the enclaves west of Ilium. "I don't know why you would believe them, but no human has been there and come back."

"Why wouldn't you believe an alv?" You ask, tilting your head again unconsciously. Valt clicks his tongue again when he notices.

"This is called…" Valt ignores your question and opens the box, pulling out pieces of wood carved into different shapes and stained with different colors.

You whistle. Pa Maxxon would be impressed by the quality of the carving. Valt retrieves them from velvet bags each containing a set of pieces carved into the same shapes, or rather emblems, you notice.

"The Great Game," Valt finishes his sentence. "Identify each symbol."

He places one piece from each of the five sets.

"Ilium," you say, pointing at the carved chrysanthemum flower.

"Goli," pointing at the head of a moose bull.

"Belial," the corvid.

"Alv," the palm leaf.

"Nadarn," the four-pointed star.

Valt grunts, each of your answers correct. "This is normally a game of war, you were probably taught something similar but smaller at officer school."

You were. They'd focused on small unit tactics, strategy at the section and cohort level.

"The Great Game is not only a wargame, but it is about logistics, economy, and diplomacy. We do not have all the counters in the box, only the army pieces. This set belongs to the major; she is lending it to us. It will have to do."

Valt walks you over the myriad rules of the Great Game. Instead of the extra pieces that come with a full set, you'll make notes on a palimpsest. He introduces the different resources in the Game, the relationship point system, among other mechanics.

"You will control the Iliad pieces. I will control everyone else," Valt tells you.

You nod to the affirmative, placing yourself on the side of the map nearest to the Federation.

"You are the High Monarch. What are your goals?" Valt asks, setting up the scenario.

"To uphold the laws, protect the realm, and feed the people." You move pieces to the borders of the Iliad realm.

"What are you not achieving at the moment?"Valt asks further.

"The second. The realm is beset at all sides," you reply as Valt moves a few pieces from each nation to positions near yours.

"Why?" He asks again.

"Resources, land, feuds. Population pressure. Many factors, too many to count," you recall from Valt's lectures thus far.

"Count them, we have all night," the ambassador tells you.

"What about dinner?" You ask. Your stomach grumbles.

"Dinner can wait," he says. "We're getting closer to Necessa. You. Need. To. Know. These. Things."

He punctuates each word by tapping his fist on the map.

"Why?" You question him. You're confused by his urgency. "I'm still a Guard officer."

"Because I will it," is all he says. You know better than to argue when he uses those words.

You spend the rest of the evening trying to solve the problems of an empire. The back and forth question-and-answer continues until late. Dinner never comes. You're hungry, you're tired, and your head hurts. You struggle with many of Valt's questions, so he orders you to bed without food.

"Think, Kythe! Everything follows a certain logic," Valt says, pointing his index fingers at his temples. "To bed with you now. We'll continue tomorrow."

Weeks pass. You still struggle with the Great Game but are making good progress with the academic aspects of your apprenticeship. You're riding with Valt when a question strikes you. Valt is going into the details of how Dalfar First-King united the tribes of the plains of Ilium under a single banner against the western threat.

"With the Charter ratified by the tribal elders, each of the twenty tribes settled down to form the what are now the federal sta—"

"Sir, may I ask a question?" You ask, interrupting him. You tilt your head ever so slightly. Old habits die hard.

"You just did," Valt says, clicking his tongue in annoyance. "What's the real question?"

You pause and look at the clear blue skies before asking. "Why are we so far away from home?"

"Because the High Monarch sent me as ambassador. Do you have another stupid question?"

You shake your head. "We've traveled three months from Arcadia, just to make contact with this Necessary King of the Goli. What does humanity gain from establishing an embassy in Necessa?"

"The current peace is tenuous, Kythe," Valt says. "Something permanent like an embassy is needed."

"Because?" Not satisfied with his answer, you push for more.

"Why do you think?"

"I don't know, sir, that's why I'm asking you," you tell him exasperatedly.

"You'll find out soon enough," Valt replies, then drinks from his wineskin. He pauses, in thought, then asks you: "Why are you so far away from home, Kythe?"

"Earning my political franchise, of course," you say.

"Kythe. You're in your fourth year. You're an officer."

He's right. You've served your minimum of three years already. Why are you still in the Guard, far from home?

The diplomatic mission to the Necessity is purely a volunteer unit. You joined up because you want:

[] To see more of the world. The Federation is large, but it's just more of the same, making it too small for you. You don't care much for long postings in a single place. You wanted to satisfy your wanderlust.
[] To pursue fame and glory in a foreign land. Service in Arcadia was boring and this is a chance to further your career as one of the first officers to walk into Necessa and return home to tell the tale. You're in it for the prestige.
[] To grow on a personal level and face trauma — the ghosts of your past. You want to look a Goli in the eye and not be afraid. To no longer have nightmares of those who orphaned you in the first place.
[] To stay with the family you've found in the Guard. Valt is wrong about you not having friends. Your unit is your family. They may not all be your close friends but you'd die for your men and women.
[] To further serve Ilium. You were sent to officer school and your career as a guardsman hasn't reached its logical end. This diplomatic mission is important to the Realm and you saw a chance for greater service.
[] To acquire more knowledge and experience. You wish to study other peoples, lands, cultures, etc. You'll make a name for yourself as a preeminent explorer and scholar.

[] Write-in

Last edited:
Apologies for the long delay between updates. I struggled a bit with writing this one: not making it too long and inserting a meaningful choice before arriving in Necessa. I feel that the arrival in Necessa deserves its own update. It's an amazing place and I'm looking forward to writing about it for you guys.

I've been building the world of Modun for around a decade now. It's a brainchild of mine that's evolved and taken many forms before arriving at what it is now in A Frigid War. I dearly hope you're enjoying reading about Kythe's exploration of it as much as I'm enjoying writing it. Thank you all so much for reading, participating, voting, and discussing.

For this vote, feel free to choose more than one option. More or less, they're not mutually exclusive of one another but voting for more than one may mean a Kythe that's less focused and determined towards a singular goal.

Back