Another thing, somehow level upper hasn't screwed over our potential to be a wizard if the Curriculum already hasn't?
I can't really go any further without going into spoiler territory, but there are characters who can do both.

You aren't locked in any direction.
We don't know what else mana might effect. It might also be our magical defense/resist stat as well for all we know.

"So you're getting Cursed and... oh, 0 mana. Welp, auto-botch."
There is a bit of that, yes. Your Mana does involve your ability to defend yourself from magic attacks, but also useful for things like using artifacts, magical weapons, or things dealing with Psuedo-magical effects
I mean more fluff-wise, as in suffering terrible brain damage and if I remember correctly, organ failure? Mixing up sci-fi and Hogwarts is apparently bad civ in this verse....

Magic may not be the best route in early dividends though, unless we want to pull Touma's dad-tier antics we need some kind of mentor.
Please dont Fung Shway the magical artifact into shapeshifting everyone
Yes, if Espers try to use magic they die pretty horrifically. Mostly its the angel summoning bit I think? Most magic is about calling on angels/spirits/gods to do things.
Issues with Disparate systems, yes.

[X][Judgement] No, there doesn't seem to be anything you've forgotten.
[X][School] Sakugawa Middle School
[x] plan Esper
Strength 3
Agility 3
Endurance 3
Intelligence 4
Insight 4
Charisma 3
Belief 8
Mana 0
Willpower 5

[X][Judgement] No, there doesn't seem to be anything you've forgotten.
[X] Raise your hand if you're an Esper-Mage

Yes, if Espers try to use magic they die pretty horrifically. Mostly its the angel summoning bit I think? Most magic is about calling on angels/spirits/gods to do things.

Paraphrased a bunch and HEAVILY contaminated with headcanon but:
From the later Toaru loredumps, its because Aleister's Espers are built off an offshoot of Telesmic theory, which involves constructing your body, mind and soul into a temple to house your personal Angel you cultivate within, which will let you grant yourself your own miracles, which reacts...badly with other forms of magic, which invokes external powers and mythos by twisting yourself to fit them, contaminating your Temple.

Which causes the power in your Temple to explode. It doesn't matter whether your Angel is powerful or not, once you've entered the Esper program and built your temple, contamination causes explosion inside your Temple.
And since your Temple is your body...

...splat.
That said, its not impossible. We have plenty of canon examples:
-Tsuchimikado's Esper Power is Auto Rebirth, so when he uses magic, it explodes his body and his body rebuilds after that. The hard part is to keep his concentration and finish casting before the explosion breaks the spell.
-Umidori does it at one point deliberately. Because she's heavily cyberized, she simply autohypnotized herself so that she considered a large structure to be part of her own body, allowing the explosion to destroy that instead of her body.
-Accelerator does it, I don't think it was explained properly, but my personal theory was that he switched the order around, because he just interpreted magic as a subset of his Vector Control power and could thus use magic indirectly without warping his self.
-Aqua of the Back isn't an esper, but as all four of God's Right Seat are Telesmic style magicians, they have the same restrictions on using off-style magic, but Aqua's style is that he can use every other style.
Its ToAru. It has a common point with Nasuverse in that when there is a rule explained in great detail, then something to subvert it almost certainly exists!

[X][Judgement] Oh! Your armband for Judgement. You can't forget that... Even if you pretty much never get to actually go out and help people cause you are a Level Zero...
[X][Skill-Out] Devil Brigade

Judgement is handy, it gives us an excuse to be nosy and Light Side connections where we can't be 'disappeared' as easily if we learn to back off when shit gets real.

From the later Toaru loredumps, its because Aleister's Espers are built off an offshoot of Telesmic theory, which involves constructing your body, mind and soul into a temple to house your personal Angel you cultivate within, which will let you grant yourself your own miracles, which reacts...badly with other forms of magic, which invokes external powers and mythos by twisting yourself to fit them, contaminating your Temple.

Which causes the power in your Temple to explode. It doesn't matter whether your Angel is powerful or not, once you've entered the Esper program and built your temple, contamination causes explosion inside your Temple.
And since your Temple is your body...
Yeah, I was figuring it was probably because Espers are basically attempts at making Angels/Spirits/Whatever and that basically just means you have a (Proto/Larval-)Angel trying to summon and channel an Angel.

Incompatible seems like the least bad way to describe that idea.
Judgement is handy, it gives us an excuse to be nosy and Light Side connections where we can't be 'disappeared' as easily if we learn to back off when shit gets real.
It Academy City. Judgement or no, if someone wants us gone, we'll disappear. Fucking Kiharas.

well unless you happen to have something that makes you worth more than whichever Kihara is out to get you.

It Academy City. Judgement or no, if someone wants us gone, we'll disappear. Fucking Kiharas.
Theres a difficulty threshold. Like they'd disappear Dark Side people like ITEM(who are basically never attending school anyway) without batting an eye, nobody would notice, but on the other hand people with ties to Light Side factions like Yomikawa, Uiharu, etc don't get disappeared even if they run into Dark Side stuff, as long as they stay on team.
By contrast, Neutral/Unaligned people CAN get disappeared(Saten nearly does a lot of time, Maika happens once) all the time as long as its convenient to Dark Side.

Because a random student vanishing is a concern for their friends. A Judgement member vanishing puts their branch on alert, which puts their linked Anti-Skill branch on alert, which means they don't do much worse than put you into hospital.

Mostly because the Kiharas aren't a unified bloc, they fight each other all the time, and aggroing Judgement means you just opened up for the other Kiharas to sic Anti-Skill on you so that they can steal your research in the chaos.

well unless you happen to have something that makes you worth more than whichever Kihara is out to get you.

What like the ability to use magic? ...Wait.
In all seriousness just keeping a low profile will do us fine. Course that may not help in the long run but really we should also be fine unless we're interesting. Something like the ability to use magic and esper powers. ...Double wait.

[X][Judgement] Oh! Your armband for Judgement. You can't forget that... Even if you pretty much never get to actually go out and help people cause you are a Level Zero...

Depends on which member of the cast.

Also being a loli in this world seems to be a benefit. Just avoid getting trapped in the harem aura of tall high schoolers who like to show off how badass they are with their right hand before kicking people in the face.

Also being a loli in this world seems to be a benefit. Just avoid getting trapped in the harem aura of tall high schoolers who like to show off how badass they are with their right hand before kicking people in the face.

I dunno the appeal of having crazy troubles blown away by an unlucky highschooler is pretty strong.

Imagine winning the touma-bowl because we're honest with our feelings and are also in regular contact with him. It would be amazing. The reactions of everyone even peripherally involved would make it worth it alone.

[X] Plan: I WANNA BELIEF (Edited)

I dunno the appeal of having crazy troubles blown away by an unlucky highschooler is pretty strong.

Imagine winning the touma-bowl because we're honest with our feelings and are also in regular contact with him. It would be amazing. The reactions of everyone even peripherally involved would make it worth it alone.
Less Toumas, but Railgun, Accelerator and Dark Matter are inordinately helpful with small bratty kids.

Accelerator and Dark Matter are inordinately helpful with small bratty kids.
i think that almost every LV 5, good, neutral or evil have deal with small bratty children at one point

only 6th is unknown since they haven't bother poking their head into all the shenanigan yet

Further added a couple of Documents and the EXP Shop.
i think that almost every LV 5, good, neutral or evil have deal with small bratty children at one point

only 6th is unknown since they haven't bother poking their head into all the shenanigan yet
I dunno about the 5th level 5

[ ] Raise your hand if you're an Esper-Mage

Edit: I've been convinced to changed

[X][Stats] Plan: Magical Runaway.

Last edited:

Didn't she get her own series?

Frenda 1/2....
Accelerator - Last Order
Dark Matter - Unnamed kid in their spinoff leaks, Fremea as White Beetle
Railgun - Kuroko
Mental Out - Dolly(RIP)
Meltdowner - Frenda(RIP), later Fremea
Probably the most heart wrenching part of Frenda was that some of the behavior which made Mugino extra paranoid was actually her planning a surprise party

I always saw it as more of if you are a Male hero you get the faction loli, and if you are a female protagonist you a hyper interested and slightly lewd lesbian.

Touma has the magic side Loli, Index
Accelerator has the science side Loli, Last Order.

Railgun has Kuroko
And Meltdown had Frenda

Actually thinking about it, both Touma and Accelerator also gained a reverse faction Kuudere as well.

Touma got 10032 and Accelerator with Zombie girl.

Do we get to have the villain route option per chance?

Now that I think of it, I wana be attached to Mugino-senpai IC....

Last edited:
Back