Warhammer 30k Primarch Roleplay

Void Touched is probably related to the Void Dragon somehow. I know those in the know aren't allowed to say, and I am not in the know, but it's the obvious connection considering what the Emprah sealed in Mars. Of course, being somehow related to the Void Dragon doesn't narrow down what it will do very far, because C'Tan shards don't have a lot of hard limits, but I'm as sure as I can be that this is where it comes from.

Void Touched is probably related to the Void Dragon somehow. I know those in the know aren't allowed to say, and I am not in the know, but it's the obvious connection considering what the Emprah sealed in Mars. Of course, being somehow related to the Void Dragon doesn't narrow down what it will do very far, because C'Tan shards don't have a lot of hard limits, but I'm as sure as I can be that this is where it comes from.
Void touched Second here.
I can definitely say it's absolutely not that.
Like, 100% wrong here. Not C'tan stuff. Or Chaos stuff.

It's explicitly unrelated to C'Tan and the Old Ones. The description box doesn't lie.

I would like to claim Dorn. I would be the world's worst Sanguinius and a mediocre Corax at best but Dorn? Dorn I can do.

With the way it's being hyped up, I'm honestly curious why you don't just slap the void-touched trait on everybody by default. It's obvious the players/GM helpers who know what it is want us to take it, it's the only mystery box option and start-pick-only option which points to it being super-special...

Yeah. Honestly, the way it's been presented by people in the know makes it seem like it's designed to be a core part of the game, tbh.

With the way it's being hyped up, I'm honestly curious why you don't just slap the void-touched trait on everybody by default. It's obvious the players/GM helpers who know what it is want us to take it, it's the only mystery box option and start-pick-only option which points to it being super-special...

Yeah. Honestly, the way it's been presented by people in the know makes it seem like it's designed to be a core part of the game, tb
To be honest thats a fair complaint, but in actuality it's not meant to be like that. It is going to have narrative impact on those that take it which is going to be both positive and negative in certain cases, but it's primarily a positive effect. However, I do say that it's not exactly always useful if you don't want to be focused on space stuff or dislike that theme. I am beginning to regret letting those that have taken it hark its values to others, for this reason, but what is done is done.

I will say that it's a potent frontloading of power, but it does narrative constrain your options in a way that others are not.

I would like to claim Dorn.
Noted

I'm honestly surprised Sanguinus is the last one to get chosen for dodgeball.

Tentatively claiming Sanguinius.

People were afraid to ruin perfection, but I have no such compunctions.

Last edited:
This looks interesting. I'd like to put a tentative claim on Corax.

Question about Swift: does it let the Primarch fight three separate duels without penalty (1v1 a Warboss, and separately his Big Mek, and finally his Underboss) or fight three characters in a single duel without penalty (1v3 a Warboss, Underboss, and Big Mek)? Thought it was the first last night, then realized it might be the second this morning.

Question about Swift: does it let the Primarch fight three separate duels without penalty (1v1 a Warboss, and separately his Big Mek, and finally his Underboss) or fight three characters in a single duel without penalty (1v3 a Warboss, Underboss, and Big Mek)? Thought it was the first last night, then realized it might be the second this morning.
The former, you basically can jump between far away fights freely. So you can duel all 3 commanders of armies even if they are far away.

I'd like to put a tentative claim on Corax.
Noted

Tentatively claiming Sanguinius.
Noted

Mechanics

Basics

The basics of this system that I have constructed rely heavily on Skills that you expend actions to learn. A Primarch has 5 Core, 10 Secondary, 15 Tertiary and 20 Lesser skills. However, as this might seem strangely limited for a Primarch when in lore they are known to be extremely capable at effectively anything, these are representing the skills that defined a Primarch. Canon Fulgrim would have had Core Skills of Art, Command, Crafting, Diplomacy and Personal Combat for example.

Varying types of skills have inherent modifications of value to them, a primarch gets more value from a narrow focus on one topic than they do from the whole spectrum. As such various skills have differing values that are applied directly to the skill value themselves.

All Primarchs in this roleplay will start with 1 Tertiary and 5 Lesser skills. This is going to be fluffed as skills that The Emperor provided to them while in the pods as a form of hypnoindoctrination. As such, some skills are not valid options - most of them would be based on information or secrets The Emperor does not personally already possess, such as Necron Technology understanding or the art of Bonesinging. The other half is that the skills need to generally fit with the theme/idea of the primarch in question. I am not overly picky on this, but as long as I can see a thematic connection between primarch and the skill it should be fine.

The other fundamental piece of the roleplay is the turn time - the turns of this roleplay are not going to be going through a primarch's life day by day or month by month. Instead each turn is going to cover a decade or more at a chunk. All calculations are made every decade for simplicity reasons, as such if a turn had 20 years in it then everything done in decade 1 would be used to support the actions in decade 2. The rules of this are simple: Decades start on the year with the 1 in the ones position: 1, 11, 21, 31 and so forth and as such decades end on the 10th year.

Actions are broken down into 3 levels of actions that a primarch can undertake. Focal, Grand and Major. Each of which represents in universe an investment of time. A Focal is a full decade, Grand is 5 years and Major is 2 and half years. There is no use for remainder year fractions. I hope that this is a flexible system to enable many forms of playstyles and actions with these actions, everything divides cleanly from the Focal action, 2 Grand, 4 Majors respectively complete a turn. However, you can choose to do 2 Major and 1 Grand instead if you have need for more actions or desire to undertake more than 1 project in a turn.

The final aspect of Actions is that they have a value modification to the impact or the final output of your actions. Focals provide a 20 fold improvement, Grands a 7.5 and Majors a 2.5 fold.

There is a final 4th type of action: Yearly. This action is as the name implies given 1 per year in a turn. A turn with 20 years has 20, a turn with 10 has 10 and it is outside the normal action list. As such you can always use these actions to conduct other projects or actions that normally couldn't be done with the limited actions normally open. These are, essentially, hobbies and minor flights of fancy.

1 Decade = 1 Focal
1 Focal = 2 Grand
1 Focal = 4 Major
1 Decade = 10 Yearly

Action
Value Alteration​
Base Value of 1 Core​
Value of 1 Secondary​
Value of 1 Tertiary​
Value of 1 Lesser​
Focal Action
20​
320​
160​
80​
40​
Grand Action
7.5​
120​
60​
30​
15​
Major Action
2.5​
40​
20​
10​
5​
Yearly Actions
0.1​
1.6​
0.8​
0.4​
0.2​

Timeline

As everyone knows the timeline of Warhammer 40K is a mess to put it lightly. As such I am going to be using the wikis mostly to figure out the relative times of important events in the Great Crusade. As some can probably envision from reading this, Primarchs have varying times on their worlds, some like Horus are found within mere years of landing and others spend most of a century on their own.

As such I have decided to effectively do narrative time until everyone has been discovered at which point we will move to a yearly counting system. Along with Discovery being a Turn Count rather than a year, granted The Emperor will not be ensured to arrive at a given turn but he will be likely to do so.

Post Discovery, The Emperor will give you 1 Turn to interact with the Legion, learn from him and generally hang out on Terra. Do NOT squander this turn; after it, it will be expected for you to spend at least one of your Major Actions commanding your legion. Unless you have traits and various command bonuses to enable Yearly command to be viable on The Emperor's expectations.

As an Example for this, canon Lorgar would not have spent more than a Major per turn on crusading and instead spent his time building churches and writing his religion. This is the bare minimum that the Emperor, Malcador, the Imperial Army and even your own Legion expects you to spend commanding.

Narrative Aspects

The following things are fully narrative: Influencing a Group, Infiltrating a Group and raising your relationship with notable figures, extreme tactics and their effects, Core Skill effects.

The following things are semi narrative: Training a trait, effects/nature of a psychic power you invent/use or an object you craft, Events, improving skills

Everything else should be fully explained in the mechanics section.

Skill Information

Skills as mentioned above are broken down into Core, Secondary, Tertiary and Lesser. Each level provides a baseline skill value for a skill: Core 16, Secondary 8, Tertiary 4 and Lesser 2.

Primarchs are considered to be universally capable in effectively everything which presents as a Basic skill that has no value or limit. This is the representation of their effectively universal mastery on a level above humans.

The following types of skills have inherent changes to the valuation of the skills at the levels.

Along with the direct modifications, some skills have differing levels of alterations to value depending on more narrative effects. This generally impacts Psychic and Research skills, both of which follow a model where their value depends on how far reaching they are.

SkillValue Alteration
Command1
Duel1
Infiltration0.5
Influence0.35
Philosophy1
Engineering/Crafting1
Technology Restricted Crafting (ex: Clockwork, Biotech, Temporal Crafting)1.5
General Psychic Skills (ex: Warp Studies)0.5
Specialized Psychic Skills (ex: Warp Currents)1
Narrow Psychic Skills (ex: Warp Fire)1.5
General Research Skills (ex: Physics)0.5
Specialized Research Skills (ex: Motion)1
Narrow Research Skills (ex: Gas Physics)1.5

The final type of skills differs in that its value depends on where you are applying rather than the skill itself varying in value and as such has been given its own table below.

OrganizationalValue Alteration
General Use
0.5​
Small City+, Knight+
1​
Macroscale Projects
2​

The use case of these are simple enough to understand. The first is used whenever you are making or using a group. It will apply then unless it is restricted by narrative, such as you could not apply an Infiltration Organizational skill to a research action.

The second case is when you are building buildings or machines larger than a Primarch could realistically build on their own in a reasonable amount of time without support. In this case due to the skill being related to logistical performance it has a higher degree of impact.

The final case is when you are building a megaproject, following the same logic as before.

Note that even in the absence of a group, the second and third type will apply to actions on those topics. If you have a Core Skill of Logistics and are building a Knight, you will receive the full 16 points that that skill would provide.

Ascendant and Transcendent Skills

There is a system to achieve a level of mastery above and beyond Core, this is where Ascendant skills come into play. These skills will take several turns at the earliest to begin showing up and can only come about via narrative events. Unlike normal skills these will take a much longer time to rank up and will cap at Secondary rather than Core, but they will provide value equal to Core skills in a massive area of actions.

As an example of these skills, General Technology would provide the value of a Core Skill to every crafting and research action including megaprojects. However, this is a skill that would for example be gained from reading every single book on technology in the Imperium/galaxy before you even have the skill and then begin the process of improving it to Secondary.

When these skills are brought to secondary, they will provide what amounts to a pseudo trait effect.

Ascendant SkillEffect
Unmatched CrafterReduce cost of all Crafting projects by half, can create impossible items
General Technologyupgrade Research Skills by a mod tier and Skill level in calculation (max of Core), quarter all tech type mods that apply to a project, can research and create impossible technologies
Grand Scale GeneralCan apply all command skills to wars universally at 150% value, supply can not fall below Understocked without extreme reasons
Grand Master DuelistCan apply all personal combat skills to Duels at 150% value, double wounds, death in duels is nigh impossible
Interpersonal InteractionsCan apply Influence skills to normally impossible targets, provides narrative reason to be able to reach the highest level of influence
GovernanceCan upgrade Unity of a planet to Lockstep and have it be maintained without passive investment of actions, Unity effects on production doubled
Logistical MasteryCan double projects of a planet permanently, doubles base value of Infrastructure level
Philosophical Sagecan choose to not be Corrupted by Chaos or influenced by any religion, can heal others of Chaos corruption through interacting with them
Religious FounderCan effortlessly combine religions from any sources into a single whole, can ensure that religions remain pure of corruption
Macroscale EngineerMegaprojects can be built at technological and infrastructure 2 levels below normal requirements, apply a mod of 0.9 to final cost, counts as 3 Core Skills and 6 Secondary for Megaproject construction
ShadowmasterInfiltration skills apply at double effect on infiltration actions, can infiltrate nominally impossible to infiltrate locations/groups

If someone manages to gain 2 or more such skills and bring them all to Secondary, then they can combine them into a single Transcendent skill which will inherit the trait like effects of the previous two or more Ascendants and restart at Lesser in level and need to be retrained up to Core this time. When a Transcendent is brought to Core it will provide a new trait like effect of a notably stronger level and have massive narrative effects, there are no examples of this due to them being inherently narrative.

Introduction to Traits

No two Primarchs are identical even accounting for skills, some favor one field or another from seeming birth. In this system this aspect takes the form of Traits, previous long form quest players accustomed to the SV and SB scene should be fully aware of what this means. In short, a Trait is a marker that changes rules or otherwise affects how a given primarch interacts with the greater whole of the system.

LionAdamantine WillBattlelord
2Alpha PsykerEnchanting Savant
FulgrimCharismaticMarch of Perfection
PerturaboPolymathWarsmith
KhanDuelistHermes Reborn
LemanHeroic LineageStrong
DornGolden GeneralAdamantine Will
KonradAgileAlpha Plus Psyker (Semi-latent: Dark Visions)
SanguiniusSanguine AngelMaster of War
Ferrus ManusMechanical SavantAdamantine Will
11Aeldari GeneticsAgile
AngronAtlas RebornAlpha Plus Psyker (Semi-Latent: Empathy)
RobouteBuilderNatural Ruler
MortarionEnduringAlpha Plus Psyker (Semi-Latent: Biological Adaptation)
MagnusWarp SavantAlpha Plus Psyker
HorusNoble MienNatural Ruler
LorgarCharismaticAlpha Plus Psyker (Latent: Divine Seer)
VulkanForging SavantLast Light
CorvusAgileFinal Shadow
TwinsTwo In OneNatural Spy

PolymathActions being used for crafting or research are worth 2, Megaprojects and Uplifts cost 0.75, can't produce Relics or Psitech but can apply Relic Mod to Non Uplift projects for improved results, bumps Research tier required down a tier, starts with nanotech unlocked
WarsmithImproves the mod of your forces by 2 for all forces, your supply counts as one level higher, command is retained on sector scales, reduces chances for Heroes to arise, wounds increased by 2, duel mod reduced from 10 to 8, tactical countering improved by a tier
Mechanical SavantWhen crafting Machines actions are worth double, gain 2 duel mod when fighting machines, when researching machines actions are worth double
Atlas RebornExist as an Army of City Scale permanently at Overwhelming Manpower, Ignore Terrain mods, Armies will never lose loyalty/faith, melee duel and army mod increased by 4, can overpower Knights and fight Titans directly
BuilderPlanets under control produce 1.5 times as much production points, uplift projects cost only 0.8 if planetary control is held, Unity costs 0.75 to rise
EnduringWounds increased by 5, changes would formula to per 100 duel bonus, unable to be exhausted, regenerates 1 wound per duel round if needed, can survive impossible conditions
Warp SavantCost of psitech items halved, psychic skills gain 0.5 to mod, reduce psychic complexity, scale and safety mods cost by 1 tier, can more easily unlock Psitech and Aeldari Technology (reduce tier of research by 1 and narrative requirements)
Forging SavantRelic cost for personal items reduced by 1 tier, crafting progress for personal items overflows into follow up projects with no loss, can craft 1 personal scale item for no cost per decade
Two In OneIntrinsic understanding of the actions of the other at all times regardless of distance
Enchanting SavantRelic costs reduced by one tier and can build psitech from start, can create Glorious relics from start, everything created is a barebones relic or higher, starts with Glorious relic creation unlocked
Noble MienUpgrades all relationships by one stage, enables impossible diplomacy, reduces costs to gain desired items/skills/traits from The Emperor
Aledari GeneticsBeta psyker, can build psitech, innate Secondary Skill for Dueling (does not take a slot, can not be upgraded), amplified emotions
Sanguine AngelGrants angelic wings, heal through blood consumption, innate divination
BattlelordHalves foe's type mod when Dueling Heroic foes, negates type mod for non Heroic foes in duels
Last LightCan never die, will always return to life, will return when all hope is lost or conditions are met
Natural SpyEnables impossible locations to be infiltrated, impossible to understand groups can be understood, groups of highest complexity can be created, all actions relating to infiltration are narratively easier and faster to progress, complexity of groups is lowered by a tier in cost
Final Shadownarrative improvement to assassination, can attempt to assassinate enemy heroes and leaders with no cost, in command of spec ops or guerrilla command skills are improved to 1.2
Heroic LineageHeroes gain 2 mod to their dueling value, Heroes grow faster, Heroes have higher maximum, can always match the other in a duel
Hermes Rebornable to command upon 5 fronts at once, can fight ten duels without penalty, ignores tactical counters for armies he commands
March of Perfectiontrait gain improved, traits weakened slightly, traits can be trained to improve, skills upgrade in half time, can gain an extra Core skill
Golden GeneralImproves mod of command skills from 1 to 1.5, Heroes arise at a slightly increased rate, Heroes are slightly stronger, can command on the subsector scale, reduces tactical countering of foes by 1 stage, negates force countering by foes

The second table in the spoiler above does not contain all the traits listed alongside the Primarchs in the first table in the spoiler. This is because of the last piece that all players receive, a 3rd trait at start. This trait can be drawn from the following list and does not have to have any narrative reasoning to choose it.

CharismaticImproves relations with humans, better narrative results of spending time with groups
DuelistCombat skills are improved to 1.5 when calculating duel value
Adamantine WillGrants 4 soul wounds, stabilizes emotional shifts, and enables Atrocities without guilt, can use Extreme Tactics without narrative reasons
Alpha Plus Psyker (Latent)Reduces Natural Resistance, grants Unique power/skill outside of Skill slots
AgileCan escape without damage from AoE effects and prisons, when using Hit and Run or Stealth tactics gain 1 mod
Hard WorkerCosts to upgrade skills halved (does not apply to Universal), actions provide an additional 0.5 mod, start with 1 Secondary
Master of WarCommand can be maintained on empire scale fights, Astartes Armies have doubled mod, Astartes armies use supply slower, gives +0.5 to non astartes army mods
Adept ResearcherResearch projects cost 0.90 of normal, researching Uplift costs 0.80, narratively better research results
Natural RulerUnity can be raised to Lockstep directly, the non research phases of Uplift only cost 80% to complete
StrongProvides +2 to duel mod and also enables certain interactions related to strength
SwiftWhen on planet can duel up to 3 people at once without penalty, can command up to 3 fronts without cost, can close range in a duel instantly
Grand DesignerBlueprints are improved narratively, and provide an additional 0.25 to their effect, Uplift Primers are reduced in cost by 0.25
TitanomachyKnights and Titans are produced at 0.5 cost of normal when personally involved, Knight and Titan mods are improved by 2
Void TouchedUnique trait to each primarch, is not related to the Old Ones or C'tan in any way
Predictive AnalysisCan extrapolate the likely results of actions taken when not involving the warp (ask the GM questions and get superior answers), Command Skills are improved to 1.2 mod

Void Touched cannot be gained in any other way past game start

Traits can be gained as the game progresses in narrative moments, it is expected for everyone to get 1 to 2 traits from their planet reflecting their actions. After this however, it will become needed to train for traits; this will be more effective if you have another primarch with the desired trait training you.

Training traits is a narrative action, in that it will happen over time passively and without overly much note in the fluff. I will however be tracking the general ebb/flow of actions and when something trait worthy occurs I will grant it to the player, as for Training traits that will be the only time that a basic dice is going to be used. In short, I will roll against a variable DC depending on the difficulty of the trait on a narrative level to learn, and if you pass the DC you get the trait.

However, training a Trait cannot be an Yearly action and if you want another player to teach you a trait then you have to convince them to also invest their own actions into it.

Production and Crafting of Items

A fairly major part of this roleplay is to take the place of a Primarch and Primarchs are known to be universally capable, as such it is possible for anyone to craft items of varying power. Being a Primarch, provides a base value of 1 Production Point to enable people even without any applicable skills to engage with this system.

The formula for crafting is a two part system, the first part is the Cost of the item you are seeking to craft. This is found by taking the base value cost for the type of item which is defined as a single number and then applying modifiers to the value in a direct line of multiplication.

The modifiers that are being used for this system are as follows: Technological Level, Size (broken down into several subsections with each Subtype having a modification value), Technological Variant, and Relic Modification.

Technological Level is as stated the technological level of the world or your workshop and dictates the level at which you can build an item. It goes from Feral to High Imperial at baseline, but can be improved through a later system to reach above that level. I will explain that process and the limits in the Research section.

Size is broken down into the following variants: Building, Grand Machine, Vehicle, Personal Object, Spaceships. Each of these has several variants of size and thus cost for a creation, this is done to ensure that there is some level of sensibility to building things instead of paying prices that wouldn't properly reflect the level of effort to make an item.

Technological Variant is to determine if the technology is normal or a variant form. At the start of the game only a couple variants are inherently unlocked to people: Biotech, Clockwork, and Warptech. Biological Tech (Biotech) in this case refers to the creation of animals or biological structures to perform technological functions. It is able to be performed at even feral level technology in the form of breeding selective animals, however due to its nature a project depending on narrative specificity could have a lag time to completion of ten turns at max, higher technology reduces this lag time maximum. Clockwork is a form of technology that is inherently resistant to the influence of the warp, and operates on purely mechanical principles. Warp Technology (Warp Tech) is any form of technology that directly interfaces or uses the warp; warp drives, gellar fields, and void shield are all examples of warptech.

Relic Modification is the term that I use to refer to the process of making something a Relic. These are items that can not be recreated and reproduced in any shape or form. In turn however, they gain impossible properties: an axe that steals the souls of anything it touches would be a Relic, as an example. There are six levels of Relic creation: Barebones, Adorned, Extravagant, Ostentatious, Glorious and Divine. Each level improves the resultant item notably but not in a direct fashion. Relics and their creation are an inherently semi narrative process. I will take into account the fluff/lore you have written for it and will use that along with any marked resources/items/influences you have used in the construction to provide a resulting item. As a point of reference, The Emperor's sword is a divine scale relic and is able to true-kill any daemon it kills without failure.

The Astronomican is also a Divine Relic and is able to cast The Emperor's purity across the galaxy because of that. However, at start only up to Ostentatious can be made, in order to unlock grander relics you will have to do a narrative Event to gain.

The system for determining the cost of a project is as follows:
Base Cost multiplied by Subtype and Technological Level and any chosen Technological Variants and Relic Modification of the desired level

Base Cost * Subtype mod * Technological Level * Technological Variants * Relic Modification

TypeBase Cost
Personal Items
5​
Buildings
15​
Spaceship Hulls
25​
Small Machines
10​
Grand Machines
30​
Void Infrastructure
25​
Warp capable ship
30​

Tech LevelCost Modifier
Feral
0.2​
Feudal
0.3​
Industrial
0.4​
Modern
0.5​
Post Modern
0.6​
Interplanetary
0.7​
High Interplanetary
0.8​
Interstellar
0.9​
High Interstellar
1​
Low Imperium
2​
Average Imperium
3​
High Imperial
4​

Item TypesCost Modifier
Biotech
1.5​
Clockwork
2​
Xenos Tech
5​
Warptech
5​
Warp Bio
20​

RelicCost Modifier
Barebones
4​
Adorned
8​
Extravagant
16​
Ostentatious
32​
Glorious
64​
Divine
128​

BuildingsSubtype Cost ModProduction Slots
Small structures
0.5​
0​
Medium structures
1​
0​
Large structures
2.5​
2​
Great structures
5​
4​
Small Cities
10​
6​
Medium Cities
20​
8​
Large Cities
30​
10​

Hive Cities+CostProduction SlotsVoid Infrastructure Cost
Hive City
1500​
20​
2250​
Hive Cluster
2500​
40​
3750​
Continental
5000​
80​
7500​
Planetary
8000​
120​
Orbitals
Orbitals
10500​
240​

Extra planetary constructionCostProduction Slots
Moon Colonies300040
System Colonies15000300

Grand MachinesRequired TechnologySubtype Cost ModRequired Production Slots
KnightHigh Interplanetary
5​
10​
Small TitanHigh Interstellar
10​
20​
TitanHigh Imperial
20​
40​
Mega TitanAscendant Imperial
30​
60​

Spaceship HullsRequired Technological LevelSubtype Cost ModRequired Production SlotsInternal Space
Personal CraftInterplanetary
5​
10​
0​
System Defense CraftInterplanetary
10​
15​
0​
Escort
20​
20​
1​
Destroyer
40​
40​
2​
Cruiser
80​
80​
4​
Battleship
160​
160​
6​
Capital
320​
240​
8​

Small MachinesSubtype Cost Mod
Car
1​
Tank
1.5​
Large Tank
2​
Massive Tank
2.5​
Airplane
1.5​
Aerospace plane
3​

Personal ItemsSubtype Cost Mod
Trinket
0.1​
Cybernetics
0.2​
Small object
0.4​
Medium object
0.6​
Large object
0.8​
Full Body
1​

A note to be had is that Spaceships above Personal Craft and System Defense Craft require void infrastructure to be built. Grand Machines, and Spaceships both reference Production Slots, this is a system to enable the construction of massive constructions and also limit their amount. Each Building provides a set amount of Production Slots and the numbers of which are dependent on the technological level used in the construction of the building in question. For a planet that does not have any direct references I will assume an amount of Production Slots based on its technological level, infrastructure level and planetary classification.

Another thing to note is that Hive Cities and higher buildings have only a flat base cost that only varies with Technological Level modification. In all other respects they are unaffected by other variables.

Orbitals and higher provide direct production points that can be used by a Primarch or local Heroes to conduct crafting actions without needing to actually invest an action into it. For all of them the production is equal to 1/4th the base build cost of Orbitals, Moon Colonies and System Colonies.

Blueprints

Another part of the Crafting system is the ability to fashion blueprints at a reduced cost to improve designs and also allow others to perfectly recreate a given item that is not a Relic. This works in a fairly simple manner, you take the cost of the item to make and divide it by 4 to get the amount of work needed to make a blueprint for that item.

After you make the blueprint it will then improve your production rate on that item by 25% or in other words multiplying your total progress by 1.25. This is also a critical step to achieve mass production for any item, but do not expect mass production of truly complex items to be as simple as making a blueprint for it.

Research

A side branch of the crafting system is that of the Research branch, it's a fairly basic system at the moment with potential for it to be expanded in the future. However, at the moment it is mostly a method to create general improvements to designs/projects/items outside of simply creating a blueprint or making something new. Its other primary use is to unlock variant technologies through research.

In the light of all this there are only 3 base costs to care about, 1) 15 to unlock a variant technology, 2) 100 to invent a new technological variant, and 3) 15 added to the sum of mods to create a merged variant technology.

VariantVariant ModLevel of Research
Nanotech
3​
Breakthrough
Geneseed
15​
Breakthrough
Gravity
20​
Spark
Temporal
30​
Spark
Psitech
50​
New Concept
Adrathic
75​
New Concept
Aeldari Tech
100​
New Tech
Nulltech
30​
New Tech
Necron Tech
100​
New Tech
Null Bio
125​
New Tech

ResearchCost Modifier
Improvement
1​
Novel
4​
Breakthrough
16​
Spark of Genius
64​
New Concept
128​
New Technology
256​

To find the cost of a given research project simply take the base cost multiplied by the variant mod and then multiply again by the research level needed to complete the project to find the total research cost. To reach higher levels of research requires either Traits or unique skills.

Calculating Crafting Progress

Once you have decided the project you wish to craft, you need to now calculate the progress that you will make on it. This is a fairly simple process, gather up all your skills that are applicable, if you need a ruling just ask me, but generally it should be a straightforward analysis. Just ask yourself "Could I see a world in which this skill helps with this project?" and if the answer is yes, it's probably fine unless you had to jump through several hoops to reach that yes.

The formula is: ((Sum of Crafting Skills + Sum of Organizational Skills * 0. 5 + Sum of Technological Restricted Skills * 1.5) * Trait effects) * Action type

As an example take a hypothetical Perturabo who has filled all his skill slots with crafting support skills. Let's simplify this to all of them being applicable to this desired project and assume that he has 3 Organizational Skills, 4 Crafting skills and 2 Tech Restricted Skills. Assuming that he has 1 Tech Restricted at Core, 1 at Secondary, 2 Crafting at Secondary, 1 at Tertiary, and 1 at Lesser, with all 3 Organizational at Lesser, the formula looks like the following.
(((2*8 + 1*4 + 1*2) + (3 * 0.5) + (1.5*16 + 1.5*8) * Trait effects) * Action type
This reduces into (((22)+(1.5)+(36)) * Trait Effects) * Action type
Perturabo has Polymath which doubles his action potency when crafting, that turns the formula into the following: (22+1.5+36) * (Action type*2)
Let's assume that this is a Focal action and is thus a value modification of 20 which will become 40: (22+1.5+36) * (20*2) -> (22+1.5+36) * (40)
Now we simplify into 59.5* 40 which results in 2380 crafting progress in this 1 Focal action.

Now in this example I applied Organizational Skills, and they will apply but not in every crafting project. Personal Items do not and never can benefit from them and they use the variant value scale when being used on Cities and Grand Machines or Megaprojects as described in the skill section. They however do apply when working on Buildings, Void Infrastructure, Vehicles, Spaceships and other such creations. These are the one kind of skill that I will restrict, only skills that are applicable to supporting crafting of this type are applicable here. A skill that supports the creation of a Spynet will not apply to crafting, but a skill of Logistics would apply.

Megaprojects

This is a mid to late game section, but it's tied strongly into the crafting mechanics and as such is going to be explained here. This system revolves around building wonders of the galaxy in effect, true Megaprojects that would define sectors or even segmentums for ages to come. The smallest of the options at hand is to build another Gloriana class ship, or to build a Castigor Titan Legion, something in that general range of impressiveness and scale.

It only ramps up from there, into true star fortresses, ship factories that reach to the point of building Glorianas constantly and that's before reaching the true megaprojects where the Kilo, Mega, Giga, Terra and Exa projects exist. I do not expect anyone to actually reach the point of building something larger than a Mega at the largest, but if someone proves me wrong I would be truly impressed.

This system follows mostly the same form as the primary crafting system, but with several differences. Skills are required to start the projects at varying scales, and only Organizational skills apply when building, only extremely rare and specialized crafting skills will apply to it, most of which will be tech restricted. Even for the crafting skills that do apply their value is reduced to a quarter of normal, a Tech Restricted skill at Core that normally would provide 1.5 * 16 = 24 will only provide 6 for a megaproject.

The other major difference is that this system uses Infrastructure as a primary cost driver rather than Technological scale which in this system is a cost reducer for the higher your technological level is, the easier it is to build these things and the higher your infrastructure the cheaper on the planet it is.

As such, unlike the crafting system, as the technological level increases it makes the project cheaper and the same is true for the infrastructure level.

The final thing to note is that you require High Imperial Technology and Infrastructure to build any megaproject barring narrative exceptions.

Sub Macro ScaleBase CostSecondaryCore
Tiny (Castigor Legion/Gloriana)
1000​
0​
0​
Small (Star Fortress)
1500​
0​
0​
Medium (Ship Factory)
2000​
1​
0​
Large (Cruiser Factory)
2500​
1​
0​
Huge (Battleship Factory)
3000​
2​
0​
Massive (Gloriana shipyard)
3500​
2​
0​
Extreme (Gloriana + shipyard)
4000​
4​
1​

MacroscaleBase CostSecondaryCore
Kilo (Ring of Iron)
8000​
4​
1​
Mega (Dyson Swarm)
16000​
5​
2​
Giga (Dyson Sphere)
32000​
5​
2​
Terra (Ring World)
64000​
6​
3​
Exa (Alderson Disk)
128000​
6​
3​

Infrastructure of BuilderCost Modifier
High Imperial
500​
Above Imperium
400​
Ascendant Imperium
300​
Basic STC Blueprints
250​
STC blueprints
200​
STC+ technology
150​
Extreme Low End Dark Age Technology
100​
Very Low End Dark Age Technology
75​
Moderate Low End Dark Age Technology
50​
Low End Dark Age Technology
25​

Technological Level of BuilderCost Divisor
High Imperial
0.1​
Above Imperium
0.5​
Ascendant Imperium
1​
Basic STC Blueprints
2​
STC blueprints
2.5​
STC+ technology
3​
Extreme Low End Dark Age Technology
6​
Very Low End Dark Age Technology
6.5​
Moderate Low End Dark Age Technology
7​
Low End Dark Age Technology
7.5​

Color coding references the required status of the planet's technological level and infrastructure to build select megaprojects. An Exa project can only be built by a planet with Low End DAoT Tech and Infrastructure for example.

The formula for the cost of megaprojects is fairly simple with only 4 terms.
(Base Cost * Infrastructure Level's Modification) divided by the Technological Level's Mod

A Kiloproject example at Above Imperial would be: (8000*400)/0.5 = 6.4 million but the same project being built with Basic STC Technology would be (8000*250)/2 = 1 million. Megaprojects are extremely costly and time consuming, but pay for that in what they provide.

To unlock larger megaprojects you have to first complete a smaller project, to clarify to unlock Large you first have to do a Medium or get a skill to Core that has a narrative effect of unlocking such things.

Factory Ships

A subset of Megaprojects, because one of my early players kept pestering me about making factory ship fleets. They got their own system to keep them in check. In short, they are a megaproject that provides a constant income stream of Production Points to any project that they can affect and this does include megaprojects.

However, they have several limits: 1) They can only apply their production to megaprojects that are 2 sizes below them. 2) their production is halved when being above their native technological level per technological level above.

Along with this they have their own table of costs due to being an unique subcase.

Sub Macro ScaleBase Cost
Tiny
500​
Small
1000​
Medium
1500​
Large
2000​
Huge
2500​
Massive
3000​
Extreme
3500​

MacroscaleBase Cost
Kilo
7000​
Mega
14000​
Giga
28000​
Terra
56000​
Exa
112000​

Infrastructure of BuilderCost Modifier
High Imperial
500​
Above Imperium
400​
Ascendant Imperium
300​
Basic STC Blueprints
250​
STC blueprints
200​
STC+ technology
150​
ELE DAOT
100​
VLE DAoT
75​
MLE DAoT
50​
LE DAoT
25​

Tech LevelBuild DivisorProduction Mod
High Imperial
0.05​
1​
Above Imperium
0.1​
1.25​
Ascendant Imperium
0.5​
1.5​
Basic STC Blueprints
1​
3​
STC blueprints
1.5​
6​
STC+ technology
3​
9​
ELE DAOT
4.5​
18​
VLE DAoT
5​
24​
MLE DAoT
6.5​
30​
LE DAoT
8​
60​

Production of a factory ship is equal to half of the base cost multiplied by the Production Mod.
(Base Cost/2) * Production Mod = production of a factory ship

Psychic Powers and Psionic Technology

As Primarchs are inherently psykers of truly potent abilities, I have made it a point to outline a general formula that will enable the creation of unique and potent psychic powers/skills and other similar things. I am willing to add more aspects to it as time goes on, if enough people desire a given subject to be made official so to speak, but I have made what hopefully is a fairly robust skeleton that will enable flexibility of ideas while also being simple enough to use effectively.

This system follows much the same general form as Crafting does, only with different groupings of value and having a much greater degree of narrative flexibility. Most spells will not have a direct mechanical effect, but I will use them as narrative abilities to shape/direct the flow of events and fights where they are applied. In short a telekine shield will most likely not provide a flat wound or something, but will instead bias things towards you not taking a wound in the narrative. I am afraid that this is entirely subjective on my end, but think of powers as giving a bit of a leeway I suppose.

Psychic Powers have several modifiers to their nature: Safety, Scale, Complexity, Power, and Minimum Rank. Safety is the simplest, it is a measure of how safe it is to use the power, Chaos is an ever present risk and as such using powers comes with risks. The second is Scale, this affects how long range or all encompassing the power is, but it doesn't by default ensure that a power will be able to affect things at full range since the power is still restricted to what the user can feel/affect. Complexity is the most nebulous of the aspects, its role is to make powers simply more. A crude spell might only be able to create a fireball, while an extremely complex spell might be able to create a dragon of living fire as such it is both a measure of power and also how variable the spell is. Power is the simplest, it is a measure of just how potent a spell is. The final value is Power Minimum which refers to the rank that a psyker must be in order to learn the power.

A spell with a power requirement such that only an Alpha can use it, can never be taught to a zeta no matter how careful or skilled the teacher is after all.

For a psychic spell the base unit is the Discipline and the subvariant of that Discipline being primarily used. The general Discipline can be used as the only aspect, but that will result in a very flexible spell that covers all aspects of the Discipline(s) but will not specialize in any one aspect.

The base cost for a spell is found in a slightly different manner, for a spell that involves only one Discipline then the Discipline itself is the base cost, if its a set of subtypes from 1 Discipline then you add those together including the cost of the Discipline before halving the cost. However, if it's a multi type spell as defined by it using more than 1 Discipline then you multiply the values of the Disciplines together and add any chosen subtypes together, once this is done you then add the results together before dividing by 2 which will provide the base cost.

A basic example follows.
Making a Telekine shield with only the Telekinesis Discipline will have a base cost of 7
Making a Telekine shield with Telekinesis (7), Macro (5) and Micro (20) would have a cost of 16
Making an Energy shield with Telekinesis (7) and Pyromancy (6) would have a cost of 21
Making an Energy shield with Telekinesis (7) and Pyromancy (6) and Micro (20), Macro (5), and Pyro (5) would have a cost of 36

TypeSubtypeBase Cost
Divination
10​
Precognition
20​
Postcognition
5​
Scrying
10​
Prophecy
20​

Pyromancy
6​
Pyro
5​
Cryo
10​
Transmutation
20​
Shield
20​

Telekinesis
7​
Micro
20​
Macro
5​
Teleportation
20​
Vortex
20​

Telepathy
8​
Reading
5​
Sending
5​
Altering
10​
Controlling
20​

Biomancy
9​
Flesh Shaping
20​
Bioelectricity
10​
Life drain
20​
Regeneration
10​
Transmutation
20​

Theosophamy
15​
Seal
20​
Protection
10​
Conviction
5​
Banish
20​

Blood
8​
Sacrifice
10​
Harvest
5​
Control
20​
Link
10​

Daemonology
15​
Summon
20​
Vortex
5​
Teleportation
10​
Protection
15​
Transmutation
20​

Concentration/Passive
10/30​
Curse
10/30​
Augmentation
10/30​
Transmutation
10/30​
Harm
10/30​

Energy
12​
Condense
5​
Shape
10​
Produce
15​

The Link subtype in Blood has unique properties in that it removes the need to use a Power Minimum term and will instead provide the needed term for free by limiting the spell to only being usable by a defined blood bound unit. As an example a spell with Link defined as "all blood related to The Emperor" would enable Astartes, Primarchs and any children that the Emperor might have had with mortal women in the past could use it regardless of how powerful or weak they are provided they are psykers of at least Zeta rank. It also halves the cost of the range modifier mentioned in the next spoiler.

Passive spells are dangerous for once they are cast they require another spell to turn them off, this is how Curses work. Once they are started you have to invent a spell to undo a curse, otherwise it will never decay into nothing. Concentration is in effect a mechanic copied from DnD in part, as long as narratively speaking you can remain focused on the spell it will remain active and not cost safety checks after the first casting.

Safety
Perfectly
100​
Human Perfect Safety​
Highly
90​
Moderately
70​
Astartes Perfect Safety​
Barely
50​
Normal
20​
Primarch Perfect Safety​
Risky
0.9​
Very Unsafe
0.7​
Unstable
0.5​
Impossibly Unstable
0.3​

Minimum Rank
Alpha Plus
0.01​
Alpha
0.1​
Beta
5​
Gamma
20​
Delta
30​
Epsilon
40​
Zeta
50​

PowerMod
Very Low
0.25​
Low
0.75​
Sub Average
1​
Average
1.25​
Above Average
1.75​
High
2.25​
Extreme
3​

ComplexityMod
Crude
0.25​
Basic
1​
Simple
2​
Average
4​
Difficult
8​
Complex
16​
Twisting
24​

ScaleMod
Self
0.1​
Touch
1​
Close
2​
Street
3​
City
6​
Region
8​
Continental
10​
Planetary
20​
Interplanetary
23​
System
26​
Interstellar
52​
Subsector
56​
Sector
60​
Sector Cluster
120​
Segmentum
125​
Galaxy
130​

The cost for the creation of psychic powers is simple enough to follow, its Base Cost * Scale * Minimum Rank * Complexity * Safety * Power

To teach another a psychic power is 1/4th the cost for the creator of the power, teaching it second hand requires an investment of half the cost of the power. As an example Primarch A invents a spell that costs 100, they can teach Primarch B the spell for 25, Primarch B then decides to teach Primarch C the spell and they have to have 50 points to teach C, but C then teaches D and it's still only 50 points.

Psionic Technology

This is technically a variant technology of sorts in that it relies more so on the Crafting system than the Psychic Power creation system, but it also has variant rules due to what it is that align closer with the psychic system and so I have placed it here. In short psitech in this game is anything that emulates or creates a psychic type effect, examples of this in fantasy are things like: runes, magical languages, memetics, sounds, and other such things that require the touch of magic to be made or function.

As such there is a requirement for the creator of the Psitech items to be an awakened Psyker and for some items it will be needed for the user to also be an active psyker, but other times it would not be needed.

There are two forms of Psitech in this game, Type 1 is items that are recreating the effects of a psychic power in a 1:1 form. If you have a spell to enable long range telepathic contact with someone, then this would be making that spell as an item. Type 2 is a more pure form of the process in which you make an item that has inherent warp properties that affect/alter how it functions.

Type 1 is a simple process, you take the power you wish to translate, double the cost of the power and craft it like you would the power itself. This will provide a blueprint that follows all the normal rules of the blueprint and enables you to make the psitech version of the spell.

Type 2 is more complex, in that it uses the same subtypes as Crafting does and also the same base costs, but with an inherent value increase of 5. However there are 2 core deviances, the first of which is that the technological level is used more as a measure of potency than a limit, it is technically possible to craft a psitech item using the highest level on the technological scale. The other major difference is that Psitech requires a Story and Reagents to be made at higher scales.

Comparable Level of potencyStory/Narrative intensity required
Feral
Feudal0
Industrial0
Modern0
Post Modern0
Interplanetary0
High Interplanetary0
Interstellar0
High Interstellar1
Low Imperium1
Average Imperium1
High Imperial2
Above Imperium2
Ascendant Imperium2
Basic STC Blueprints3
STC blueprints3
STC+ technology3
Extreme Low End Dark Age Technology4
Very Low End Dark Age Technology4
Moderate Low End Dark Age Technology4
Low End Dark Age Technology5

Narratives are fairly subjective on my part, but you can generally assume that level 1 and 2s will be within the range of a Primarch's yearly actions. Hunt a beast, build a wonder, that kind of thing and it revolves more around how others feel than your own personal story at those levels. A level 3 would be something along the lines of conquering a world, making a true wonder, true killing a daemon. A level 4 story would be something that a Primarch could actually boast about as a feat of theirs, the sort of thing that in canon would have been marked by them getting a new title or the legion winning a major campaign, and 5 would be along the lines of killing Warmaster Horus in canon on your own.
The other major aspect of Type 2 Psitech is the inclusion of Reagents, these are items that are rare and potent and contain their own stories of sorts. When used they will influence the creation in notable ways, but also be consumed. Some examples that I have mentioned before would be an Ember of the Astronomican, a shard of The Emperor's sword, a Necron blade.

Certain designs will require select reagents, but it is not a mandatory part of the average Type 2 Psitech creation.

Dangers of Psitech

As with everything that directly touches the warp, Psitech is dangerous. In the normal case of events, every decade a psitech item is intact it will roll a 1d20 and on a nat 1 it will suffer an Event. This could even technically be positive, but it would be more likely to be negative and harm those around it. However, there is a way to protect from this effect by making the item a Relic of at least tier 3, this will remove the risk.

Items developed from psychic powers will inherently have superior defenses as they will roll a 1d40 instead of a 1d20 rendering them roughly half as likely to fail per decade.

The effects of the Event depend heavily on the item in question, what is going on when it fails and so forth.

Corruption

Corruption by Chaos is an inescapable risk of the setting and as such there is a fairly basic system to handle it. This is probably the system most likely to be revamped in the future, as it stands however it should suffice as the primary part that will probably be changed is how daemons work, but those will be an overall minor chance of showing up I believe.
In short corruption functions on a Wound system, if you fall below -1 Wounds you Fall to Chaos. Primarchs start with 8 Soul Wounds baseline, the 11th Primarch is the only exception and they start with 2 wounds or equal to the normal human in terms of soul integrity.

The primary aspect of Corruption is a Token that you gain when Corruption exceeds your corruption resistance, A token is not permanent and is worth normally ½ of a soul wound. Through actions ignoring or twisting the nature of the corruption you can fade the token or entirely repulse it. Tokens that are pushed away or made to fade provide lump sums of corruption resistance, while entirely Repulsed tokens provide a scaling percentage boost to your resistance.

Skills do not apply as per normal rules, instead they apply at the value of their slot times 2. In short a Lesser is worth 1, a Tertiary is worth 2, a Secondary is worth 3 and a Core is worth 4 baseline without factoring in the narrative support that it will provide.

The Formula for this is Soul Wounds times the value of your skills
An example, let's assume that a primarch has 1 Skill in each of the classes: 1 Core, 1 Secondary, 1 Tertiary and 1 Lesser along with having all 8 of their soul wounds. Any Tokens would be added along with the skills, while Repulsed tokens would have added a final multiplication factor at the end of 0.05 per repulsed token, ex 5 repulsed tokens would have provided 1.25 to the final value.

This would equal 8 * (1+2+3+4) -> 8 * (10) = 80 Corruption resistance

As Daemons are not yet a major thing and I have not finalized their systems as of now I am not putting them in this document beyond listing the general level of corruption a daemon presents.

DaemonCorruption Value
Lesser Daemon
20​
Herald
30​
Greater Daemon
70​
Favored Daemon
140​
Honored Daemon
280​
Exalted Daemon
320​
Primordial Daemon
460​

Currently the system is such that this is one of the few times where a dice will be involved, if your Corruption Resistance is within 40 of a daemon's corruption value both of you will roll with your respective values as bonuses and if you get higher you do not get a token and if the daemon gets higher you get a token.

A thing to note is that Tokens do not care about corruption resistance and instead target Soul Wounds, which are the base of your defense and also the fundamental measurement of your soul's integrity. If you reach -1 Soul Wounds no matter how much chaos resistance you have, you will Fall.

Combat: Military and Duels

Army command is a fairly simple system at the core. As a primarch you will be commanding forces in space and on the ground, primarily your own legion. Naval and ground use both the same exact systems but with different rules regarding being outnumbered.

The core aspect of Army and Naval combat is the Scale system, this determines at what level you can fight nominally as a single unit or technically as under one commander. The naval scale is slightly wonky with these rules, but it's feasible for certain Primarchs to reach the higher levels in it. The same logic applies to army scale, only due to nature you can only ever command an army on one (1) planet at a time, when on the ground.

There is also a command decay system where if you are commanding at a further level removed than you can, your command is reduced in effect.

The core of the system is your Command Skills, which have no inherent bonuses outside of select Primarchs. This provides the baseline Command Value that you can achieve, for example with 2 Core Command skills you would have a base command value of 32.

However, this is not all that goes into calculating the actual power of your army or navy, for you have to take into account various other factors such as supply, technological level, and even the terrain when on planet.

Naval ScaleTechnological Levels for nominal scale
Inner SystemInterplanetary
Middle systemHigh Interplanetary
Outer systemInterstellar
SubsectorHigh Interstellar
SectorLow Imperial
Sector ClusterAverage Imperial
SegmentumHigh Imperial

Army ScaleTechnological Levels for nominal scale
Citybelow Modern
NationModern - post modern
Continentalinterplanetary
Half Planetaryhigh interplanetary
Planetaryhigh interstellar
Local orbitLow Imperium+

Manpower
Threadbare
1​
Undermanned
2​
Small
3​
Average
4​
Large
5​
Massive
6​
Overwhelming
7​

Technological Level of MilitaryModifier
Feral
0.01​
Feudal
0.04​
Industrial
0.07​
Modern
0.1​
Post Modern
0.5​
Interplanetary
1​
High Interplanetary
1.5​
Interstellar
3​
High Interstellar
4​
Low Imperium
8​
Average Imperium
10​
High Imperial
12​
Above Imperium
14​
Ascendant Imperium
16​
Basic STC Blueprints
32​
STC blueprints
36​
STC+ technology
40​
ELE DAOT
80​
VLE DAoT
88​
MLE DAoT
96​
LE DAoT
104​

Supply LevelMod
Empty
0.1​
Drained
0.2​
Barren
0.3​
Scavenging
0.4​
Understocked
0.5​
Depleting Stocks
0.6​
Barely Stocked
0.7​
Stocked
0.8​
Mostly Supplied
0.9​
Fully Stocked
1​
Overstock
1.5​

Force TypeMod
Human
0.5​
Cyborg
1​
Knight
2​
Titan
4​
Astartes
2.5​
Custodian
4​
Primarch
5​
Aeldari
3.5​
Necron
3.5​
Daemon
2.5​
Chaos Cultist
1​

Tactical ConfidenceMod
Untrained
0.25​
Novice
0.5​
Basic
0.75​
Imperial Army Average, astartes min barring narrative​
Adept
1​
Trained
1.25​
Solar Aux average​
Comfortable
1.5​
Skilled
1.75​
Astartes Legion average​
Master
2​
Custodian/Eldar/Necron average​

Terrain ArmyOutnumber Cap (Size)
Super Flat
6​
Normal
4​
Urban
2​
Hostile
1​

Naval TerrainOutnumber Cap (Scale)
Normal
6​
Asteroid Belt
4​
Ring System
2​
Warp storm
1​

Outnumbering is determined by the difference in total Scale and Manpower between two forces, Manpower translates to Scale at a 3:1 ratio. As an example if a force was National scale against a city scale and both had average troops, the national would be equal to Continental threadbare force as the Manpower was 3, but the opposing force would be Threadbare National for the same reason resulting in the larger army having an outnumbering bonus of (6+4) = 10 and the smaller force would have (3+4) = 7 which would result in the outnumbering effect being 3 which even in normal terrain can be brought to bare, but in Urban and Hostile terrain it would be restricted to only 1.

To determine the actual value of Outnumber you have to find the difference in size and then take 1.5 to the power of the difference. In the above example it would be 1.5^3 = 3.375 as a modifier to the entire value of your command.

Tactical SubgroupsCounteredNarrative effects
Frontal AssaultHit and Runmore dead
Spear WedgesGureillia
ArtillerySabotage
DefensiveStealthless dead, more strain on supply
Creeping FortressInvisible
AttritionTheft
Hit and RunTerrorhigh intensity fighting
GureilliaPsychological
SabotageWMD
TerrorDefensiveharms the user mentally
PsychologicalCreeping Fortress
WMDAttrition
StealthFrontal Assaultsdifficult to end a fight/war
TheftSpear Wedges
InvisibleArtillery

Tactical CounterMod
Non Counter
1​
General
2​
Specialized
4​
Customized
8​

Force CompCountered
InfantryMechanized
Special ForceCombined Arms
MechanizedInfantry
Fully MechanizedSpecial Forces
Combined ArmsGrand Machine
Grand MachineFully Mechanized

Force CompMod
Non Counter
1​
Counter
2​

Tactical Countering is when you use tactics that counter your opposing force's tactics, I am aware that generally armies have a varied playbook, but for the sake of my sanity I am abstracting this into what amounts to 3 tactical profiles for important forces like the Legions and 1 or 2 for the general forces that you will face. Customized tactics are only possible for a Primarch to create and only work against the single group that they are made to counter, and do take a tactical slot of the army to use.

General countering would be if you were using Hit and Run vs Frontal Assaults, while Specialized would be if you were using Sabotage against Artillery as it's the second order tactics of that grouping.

Command Value

The grand system for army command is: (((Command Skill * (Technological Level+Force type)) * Supply) * (Tactical Countering + Force Comp)) * (Tactical Confidence + Outnumbering mod).

This looks far worse than it actually is I believe, at the core it can be broken down into several fragments that render it far more understandable.

Rewriting as (C * (TL + FT) * S * (TC + FC) * (TCon + ON) makes it more understandable. C refers to your command value, TL is technological level, FT is force type, S is supply, TC is tactical countering, FC is force composition and Tcon is the confidence of your army in their tactics combined with how much you outnumber your foes.

Special Rules

A select number of armies have special rules that affect the above numbers.
  1. Blank or Null armies reduce the mod bonus of Astartes by 1.5
    1. This also reduces Hero bonuses to army command by one half
  2. Psyker armies will have a variable bonus type depending on the scale of the primary psykers being used
  3. Primarchs do not use Supply nor are they affected by non overpowering Blank effects, in short if your army isn't dying from soul rend then a blank field will not affect a primarch
  4. Only Primarchs with traits that state them as Armies, gain the effects of the Primarch mod as their Force Type (FT) otherwise it does not apply

Dueling

The duel system is simpler than the army version, but along with Corruption is one of the few zones where dice will come into play. In short, duels are when a person fights another person 1v1 or in a small group. This is most common for Primarchs and Heroes, but technically anyone can be a duelist, although here the type of person does play a larger role in the valuation of how useful they are as a duelist.

In duels there are 2 primary functions, 1) your actual duel value and 2) how many wounds you have. When you reach 0 Wounds you die, it's that simple, but wounds are both a reflection of innate durability/endurance and also skill. Normally a wound is gained per 200 in your duel value, but certain traits alter this calculation such as Mortarion's Enduring trait.

Force TypeDuel ModWoundsRange Consideration
Human
0.5​
1​
0​
Cyborg
1​
2​
0​
Knight
2​
6​
1​
Titan
4​
1​
Astartes
2.5​
4​
1​
Custodian
5​
6​
1​
Primarch
10​
10​
2​
Aeldari
5​
6​
1​
Necron
5​
10​
1​
Daemon
2.5​
NA
2​
Chaos Cultist
1​
1​
0​

Technological Level of GearMod
Feral
0.00005​
Feudal
0.0001​
Industrial
0.0005​
Modern
0.001​
Post Modern
0.005​
Interplanetary
0.01​
High Interplanetary
0.05​
Interstellar
0.1​
High Interstellar
0.5​
Low Imperium
1​
Average Imperium
2​
High Imperial
3​
Above Imperium
4​
Ascendant Imperium
5​
Basic STC Blueprints
10​
STC blueprints
15​
STC+ technology
20​
ELE DAOT
40​
VLE DAoT
60​
MLE DAoT
80​
LE DAoT
100​

Range priority
Melee
Close Range
Medium Range
Long Range
Sniper
Horizon
Regional
Grandscale
Subcontinental
Continental
Planetary

The calculation for dueling is simple compared to that of the army system, you simply take your dueling skills and their ranks, determine the value of them based on said ranks and add them all together. If you had 2 Core, 1 Secondary and 1 Tertiary that would be 2*16+8+4 = 44 as your base dueling score for example. Then you simply add your Type Mod with your Technological Level mod and multiply your base value against that mod to determine your actual duel value.

(Skills * (Primarch Mod + Technological Mod)) = Duel Value

Much like with Corruption, if your duel mod is within 40 of your foe, then you start rolling against each other, and whoever gets higher scores a wound. For example if you had a score of 40 vs a foe with a bonus of 20, you would roll with a +40 vs their +20 on the same 1d100 dice.

Range is a fairly simple concept, it enables various traits that affect when their activation occurs. However, for a Primarch melee range is further than one would expect due to both warp narrative and also due to their inherent extreme physical abilities. This is abstracted as them being able to hit two levels further away than they normally would. However, note that Continental and higher are not technically feasible to reach even for a primarch without a special weapon or having psychic powers be used.

Groups, Influence and Infiltration

This is the most narratively driven aspect of the system with effectively no mechanical systems backing this part of the game up. However, there are various details that I have to enable me to make less than entirely subjective rulings on what is going on with these topics.

There is however 1 non narrative action within this and that is making a group, which can support your actions in various ways and this is the creation of personal groups. I will however, state that you will need a very good narrative reason to create groups larger than sector scale on your own.

Group SizeModassistance multiplier
City
1​
1.25​
National
5​
2.5​
Planetary
10​
6​
System
20​
12​
Local Systems
40​
24​
Sector
80​
40​
Multi Sector
160​
80​
Segmentum
320​
160​
Galactic
640​
320​

Group ComplexityCost
Obvious
5​
Understandable
10​
Comprehensible
15​
Complex
20​
Very Complex
40​
Overly Complex
80​
Incomprehensible
160​
Barely Understandable
320​
Nonsensical
640​

Group TypeBase CostSupported Actions
Military
5​
Command, Dueling​
Governmental
25​
Logistics, Uplift, Civilian, Crafting​
Infiltration
100​
Infiltration, Sabotage, Theft​
Religious
50​
Preaching, Culture shaping, Religion creation​
Research
75​
Research, Crafting​
Psyker
125​
Psitech, Relic creation, psychic power creation​
Blank
250​
Nulltech research, nulltech crafting, blank power crafting​

Group AwarenessCost Mod
Open
1​
Restricted
2​
Shadow
4​
Invisible
8​
Nonexistent
16​

The light blue on the assistance multiplier table indicates groups that only provide fractional amounts of their value if you do not have total influence of the group. Influence itself is an entirely narrative concept, that is raised by investing actions into interacting with the group along their narrative lines. Showing technological skill for example would raise your influence with the Adeptus Mechanicum, but researching stuff would reduce your influence with them the same, due to their doctrines.

The modifiers give you a rough idea of how difficult it is to raise your influence with the full group, you can instead raise your influence with fractions of the full group such as in the above rising your influence with a single Forge World. This wouldn't affect the Adeptus Mechanicum as a whole, but it would affect that singular world.

The only time when the numbers directly impact things is when you are creating your own group. This is limited to the largest possible level that you can access, so if you only control a planet the largest you can create is a planetary group and so forth until you reach Sector where you start needing more direct narrative reasons.

To find the cost of making a group, the system is: (Type * (Size+Complexity Mod))*Awareness Mod, with multitype groups adding together their base costs. A fairly simple system and this will inherently produce a group that will provide for you the full possible bonus if influence is affecting what it can provide.

Diplomacy, Organizational and narratively applicable skills can all be used for creating a group, when used in this method they will all have the 0.35 Influence skill mod applied to them. The group assistance value is applied at the end of all other calculations for actions.

Groups can be broken apart into 10 subunits of the size below their nominal size, but doing this reduces their mod by 10% per split and also, you can only have 1 group supporting your actions at a time, which will default to the largest group present.

Infiltration

Another aspect of the group system, which uses most of the same aspects as mentioned above, is restricted to a set of actions revolving around infiltration, spycraft and sabotage in general. The only truly major difference is that these groups have to contend with a need to infiltrate opposing forces necessitating the need for a generalized system to measure the likelihood of disaster. As such the only true difference is that these groups care about the group that composes the other group that they are infiltrating.

Group Member TypeMod
Human
0.5​
Cyborg
1​
Astart
5​
Custodian
20​
Aeldari
50​
Necron
100​
Daemon
1000​
Chaos Cultist
30​

To get a rough idea of the difficulty of infiltrating a given group use the following formula: (Base Value * (Group Size + Group Member Type mod + Group Complexity + Group Awareness))

As an example let's take a Craftworld as the target of infiltration. It would be System, Aeldari, Barely Understandable, Governmental/Military/Psyker and Restricted as the tags for it. System = 20, Aeldari = 50, Overly Complex = 80, Type = 25+125+5 (155) and Restricted = 2.

Type would be the base cost which is (155 * (20 + 50 + 80 + 2)) -> 155 * 152 = 23,560

Generally assume that your infiltration needs to be roughly 1/4th of the required amount to not be detected in the process, but select Primarchs such as the Hydra can get away with lower ratios. However, remember that this is a Narrative system and so that ¼ ratio is not certain but instead a reasonable rule of thumb to use.

Uplift and Planetary Improvement

First thing to set out, I am not going to be keeping track of every two bit planet that you invade/touch or muck with, only important worlds like your starting worlds or worlds that you spend time on improving will be tracked. Instead for the bulk of planets, they will be given a production value based on their classification and nothing more. This will remain until you spend enough effort on improving them to make it worth my while to actually track them and stat them out in more detail.

However, there does need to be a system in place for bringing worlds up to par in this game as that is going to both assist the Imperium and also improve your own forces. As such, I have created the uplift system which is a fairly simple system where you need to do 3 Research Projects and then build a certain set of buildings to bring the planet to both the next level of Infrastructure and Technology.

Uplift Process​
Preliminary Scientific Refinement​
Basic Scientific Refinement​
Advanced Scientific Refinement​
Branch Point​
Branch ABranch BBranch CBranch DBranch EBranch FBranch GBranch HBranch JBranch K
Small City Uplift
Medium City Uplift​
Uplift Completed
Large City Uplift​
Uplift Complete
Hive City​
Uplift Complete
Hive Cluster​
Uplift Complete
Continental​
Uplift Complete
Planetary​
Uplift Complete
Orbital System​
Uplift Complete
Moon Colonies​
Uplift CompleteSystem Colonies
Uplift CompleteKilo Project
Uplift Complete

AFeudal to Industrial
BIndustrial to Post Modern
CPost Modern to High Interplanetary
DHigh Interplanetary to High Interstellar
EHigh Interstellar to Low Imperium
FLow Imperium to High Imperium
GHigh Imperium to Ascendant Imperium
HAscendant Imperium to STC Blueprints
JSTC Blueprints to STC+
KExtremely Low End DAoT

The above table references the uplift branches based on the existing/present technological and infrastructure level of the world in question. With the breakdown of branches being shown in the table below the larger one. In short, if you're uplifting a world to a select level you need to build the missing infrastructure and research the higher levels of technology.

InfrastructureLevel
Feral
0​
Feudal
1​
Industrial
2​
Modern
3​
Post Modern
4​
Interplanetary
5​
High Interplanetary
6​
Interstellar
7​
High Interstellar
8​
Low Imperium
9​
Average Imperium
10​
High Imperial
11​
Above Imperium
12​
Ascendant Imperium
13​
Basic STC Blueprints
14​
STC blueprints
15​
STC+ technology
16​

The cost of the buildings needed is altered by the infrastructure level difference between what you are reaching towards and where you currently are. A world with High Interstellar infrastructure will only pay half cost for Low Imperial infrastructure uplift projects for example. This is defined by the formula of (Infrastructure level desired - Infrastructure level current) = (infrastructure difference/2) ^ infrastructure difference. As an example if the level desired is 6 and the current is 3 it would result in 3/2 -> 1.5^3 = 3.375 as a cost increase to all construction actions to uplift to the new level of infrastructure.

Primers

Uplifting a world directly is covered by the above, but it is possible to automate the process by creating premiers that will enable any planet to uplift themselves. However, this is a variant system to better handle the work load and effort being used, it also places the burden on the planet to complete the infrastructure aspects but solves the research aspects for them.

A primer's cost is a function of how many tech levels it covers and also how many it covers in a fairly simple process. Base cost is determined by how many tech levels are included, while the cost modifier is determined by which tech levels it covers by summing the modifiers together to find the final total for a primer's mod.

Primer Tech LevelsPrimer Base Cost
2​
4​
3​
8​
4​
12​
5​
23​
6​
30​
7​
38​
8​
45​
9​
90​
10​
113​
11​
135​
12​
158​
13​
345​
14​
375​
15​
405​
16​
810​

Base Cost of ResearchPrimer ModBranch LvTotal cost of branch in mod
Feudal to Industrial
5​
10​
1​
10​
Industrial to Post Modern
10​
20​
2​
40​
Post Modern to High Interplanetary
20​
40​
2​
80​
High Interplanetary to High Interstellar
40​
60​
2​
120​
High Interstellar to Low Imperium
80​
140​
1​
140​
Low Imperium to High Imperium
160​
280​
2​
560​
High Imperium to Ascendant Imperium
320​
560​
2​
1120​
Ascendant Imperium to STC Blueprints
640​
1920​
2​
3840​
STC Blueprints to STC+
1280​
3840​
1​
3840​

ResearchCost ModifierUplift Branch
Improvement
1​
Feudal to Post Modern
Novel
2​
Post Modern to Interstellar
Breakthrough
4​
Interstellar to Low Imperium
Stroke of Genius
8​
Low Imperium to High Imperium
New Concept
16​
High Imperium to Ascendant Imperium
New Technology
64​
Ascendant Imperium to STC+ Technology

The base cost of researching one of the 3 universal research projects is given in the above table in the column of base cost of research which is modified by the values in the 3rd table. It should be noted that the Ascendant imperial tech level requires narrative reason to be able to research as it is above even Mars currently.

Production and projects

Each world that is tracked will produce for their projects a set amount of progress per turn, this will be influenced by their population, size of planet, technological and infrastructural level, unity and planetary classification. Along with this each planetary classification also provides a number of projects that a world can normally handle, it is in effect the level of projects that won't overtax the world to complete. You should expect that most planets in the Imperium are going to be double or even three times over their project cap, Mars is going to have a nominal cap of 100 and have to process thousands of projects for example to keep the Crusade functional.

Projects such as building the infrastructure for uplift would be a project and as such will be fed a slow trickle of progress per turn rather than a notable sum as would be the case with primarch support or direction.
Planet SizeBonus
Asteroid
0.2​
0.4​
Luna
0.6​
0.8​
Earth Sized
1​
2​
Super Earth
3​
4​
Mega Earth
5​

Infrastructure LevelLevelBase Production
Feral
1​
0.05​
Feudal
2​
0.5​
Industrial
3​
1​
Modern
4​
3​
Post Modern
5​
5​
Interplanetary
6​
7​
High Interplanetary
7​
14​
Interstellar
8​
18​
High Interstellar
9​
22​
Low Imperium
10​
44​
Average Imperium
11​
50​
High Imperial
12​
56​
Above Imperium
13​
62​
Ascendant Imperium
14​
68​
Basic STC Blueprints
15​
136​
STC blueprints
16​
144​
STC+ technology
17​
152​
ELE DAOT
18​
304​
VLE DAoT
19​
324​
MLE DAoT
20​
334​
LE DAoT
21​
344​

Technological LevelLevelMod
Feral
1​
0.01​
Feudal
2​
0.1​
Industrial
3​
0.2​
Modern
4​
0.45​
Post Modern
5​
0.6​
Interplanetary
6​
0.8​
High Interplanetary
7​
1​
Interstellar
8​
2​
High Interstellar
9​
4​
Low Imperium
10​
6​
Average Imperium
11​
8​
High Imperial
12​
10​
Above Imperium
13​
12​
Ascendant Imperium
14​
14​
Basic STC Blueprints
15​
16​
STC blueprints
16​
18​
STC+ technology
17​
20​
ELE DAOT
18​
40​
VLE DAoT
19​
80​
MLE DAoT
20​
160​
LE DAoT
21​
320​

Population
Small structures
0.1​
Medium structures
0.2​
Large structures
0.4​
Great structures
0.6​
Small City
0.8​
Medium City
1​
Large City
1.5​
Hive Cluster
2​
Hive Cluster
2.5​
Continental
4​
Planetary
5​
Orbital
10​

Unity
Anarchy
0.01​
Chaos
0.02​
Unstable
0.04​
Falling
0.08​
Decaying
0.16​
Partly Stable
0.32​
Stable
0.64​
Unified
1.28​
Resolute
2.56​
Lockstep
5.16​
Perfect Unity
10.24​

ClassBonusProjects
Forge
50​
30​
Hive
25​
10​
Fortress
20​
5​
Knight World
15​
10​
Mining
10​
2​
Civilized
5​
3​
Agri
5​
2​
Paradise
5​
1​
Colony
1​
1​
Feudal
0.5​
1​
Death World
0.1​
1​
Feral
0.01​
1​

The formula is fairly complex, but in short it's the addition of all the variables above multiplying the base value of Infrastructure. (Infra*(Size+Pop+Tech+Planet Class+Unity))/((Level Tech/Level Infra)*2). Again this isn't an extremely useful system as Primarchs are going to simply out produce worlds in general, but if you are looking to calculate the uplift rate of a world it is needed.

Last edited:
Passive spells are dangerous for once they are cast they require another spell to turn them off, this is how Curses work. Once they are started you have to invent a spell to undo a curse, otherwise it will never decay into nothing.
Can the caster stop it or is inventing a counterspell required even for them? And does the counterspell also have to be Passive?

That's quite a hefty chunk of rules! I'll read through it in more detail once I'm done with work, but for now I have a quick question: is unlocking psychic powers if you don't start out with alpha+ potential unusually difficult compared to other traits/skills? Or is it about the same?

Just so I understand the mechanics (at least something)

Let's say I want to unite the tribes of Chogoris.

This action goes into the category (Groups, Influence and Infiltration).

So.
1) Group size - Nation (dozens of clans clearly fall under this definition) - mod 5
2) Difficulty of the group - Difficult (uniting so many different people is clearly difficult and you will have to resort to various tricks) - 20
3) Type of group - Military (the union of tribes should include civil functions, but these are still tribes, it is unlikely that *Government Type* will be required) - 5
4) Group Awareness - Open - 1

The final cost will be - ((5*(5+20))*1=125

Next, I need to (Skill Level * Value Alteration) do this with each theoretically suitable skill available and get the sum of all skills.

Multiply the resulting sum of all skills by the Action Level (let's say 10 years Focal)

Final progress -
Sum of all skills * 20.

Then all that remains is to compare the resulting Final Cost (125) with the Final Progress (sum of skills * 20)?

[Can I have a link to discord?, it will obviously be more convenient]

Last edited:
Holy wall of text batman.

I will go through this though I suspect I will need to play a few rounds to really get it.

That said @Leon12431 would it be possible to post a dummy round with the rolls so we get an idea of how it works? Like say roll an example of what happens in one turn with all the modifiers in the open so we can get an understand of the system in a practical manner.

It does not have to be anything advance but a basic turn with no psychic stuff,

Back