Warhammer 30k Primarch Roleplay

Opening up this thread as an interest check and also to gather people that have interest in this game. I have already completed the mechanics that will be in use and have began compiling them into a more readable format along with finalizing various aspects. This thread as such is an interest check and also a chance to get your foot in the door so to speak on a desired primarch.

I will state right now that the mechanics I have made are fairly beefy and fairly number heavy, but once everything is done they should be more than manageable by anyone. However, I also know that this is not everyone cup of tea so mentioning it now. Also, I have 0 interest in a person that will simply bullet point their actions with no fluff/story, I do not expect full quest scale posts, but a paragraph or two is what I do expect.

I have already acquired a handful of people on a shared discord server where they have been helping me with the mechanics for a while now. As such the following Primarchs are not open for others

The Second
Perturabo
The Eleventh
Angron
Magnus

All other primarchs are open for choosing, note that this game will start with the Primarchs landing which is why the Second and Eleventh are still alive.

Lorgar - Tentatively claimed by Yzarc
Omegon - Tentatively claimed always_confused
Ferrus - Tentatively claimed by Stars Burning
Konrad - Tentatively claimed by cog-nito
Horus - Tentatively claimed by Nicholas Brooks
Vulkan - Tentatively claimed by NSMS
Roboute - Tentatively chosen by CommanderBlade
Mortarion - Tentatively chosen by Icy Tea
Khan - Tentatively chosen by Bylba
Leman - Tentatively chosen by DragonRage
Fulgrim - Tentatively claimed by IBulit
Lion - Tentatively claimed by Thanatosra
Alpharius - Tentatively chosen by Blet
Dorn - Tentatively claimed by Sir LagsAlot
Sanguinius - Tentatively claimed by Caellath
Corvus - Tentatively claimed by Scabby

Last edited:
I am tentatively interested. Depending on the mechanics, I am chosing Lorgar.

Though are we restricted to canon personalities, or can we build them up?

This is PbP right?

Hi, I'm the guy who's reserved Pert. Canon personalities are not required (I don't want to be a Reddit atheist), though there will be reasons to follow through on stuff the primarchs canonically did, and each one still has stuff that's automatically part of them that will incline them toward specific playstyles. Playing Guilliman is not going to be the same as playing Lion, no matter how hard you might try.

Also, while crafting and war are mostly mechanical processes, things like socialization, gaining political influence, and other such more person-focused activities tend toward being almost wholly narrative in nature.

And yeah, it'll be PbP.

Hmm.....alright, I am interested in playing Lorgar. Lets see what I can do with him.

I am interested in playing Lorgar. Lets see what I can do with him.
Marching you down as tentatively interested in Lorgar then. Generally only the very clean cut things are mechanical, anything involving relationships is fully narrative. It would honestly be entirely feasible to avoid most of the mechanics by simply investing into influence and infiltration as your play styles.

Last edited:
To clarify, are the traitor Primarchs doomed to be traitors? Is the X Heresy a foregone conclusion?

Also, I'd like to be marked down for Alpharius. But how are the twins going to be handled? Do I play both or can one player be Alpha and the other Omegon?

To clarify, are the traitor Primarchs doomed to be traitors? Is the X Heresy a foregone conclusion?

Also, I'd like to be marked down for Alpharius. But how are the twins going to be handled? Do I play both or can one player be Alpha and the other Omegon?
The primarchs are not doomed by fiat, Chaos will be active and pushing for a Heresy and for 9 Champions, but who if any do fall is undecided. Alpharius and Omegon are going to be 2 players with a variant nature, certain mechanics are shifted for them which means that you would want to have a person that you know you can work with to maximize their value.

A civil war of some sort is likely, the Imperium is not going to be stable to say the least without massive work, but a Heresy is not inherently fated.

The primarchs are not doomed by fiat, Chaos will be active and pushing for a Heresy and for 9 Champions, but who if any do fall is undecided. Alpharius and Omegon are going to be 2 players with a variant nature, certain mechanics are shifted for them which means that you would want to have a person that you know you can work with to maximize their value.

A civil war of some sort is likely, the Imperium is not going to be stable to say the least without massive work, but a Heresy is not inherently fated.

I'd like to tentatively lay claim to Omegon then, instead of Alpharius, if that's a possibility. The chance of playing the Legion's Shadow is too tempting. Any takers among those watching for Alpharius?

how much lore would you need to know
Just be willing to open the wiki is all I ask. Warhammer 40k lore is a minefield to say the least and there is good odds that any random thing that shows up I will discard for it not fitting my view of the setting, or I will insert some home-brew lore that fits with the themes but expands story potential. Generally, just be willing to visit a wiki and read The Emperor and Primarch pages really.

I'd like to tentatively lay claim to Omegon then, instead of Alpharius, if that's a possibility.
It is, but I will note that the whole dynamic of who is who for the Alpha legion isnt set in stone, you could be the face or the shadow depending on how things play out.

If nobody else has, I would like to claim Konrad Curze.

Hopefully I can prevent Space!Batman from falling to chaos, if not then hopefully I'll at least have fun.

your claims are processed and recognized.

I am listing all claims as Tentative here due to the mechanics not being fully explained yet and when they are people will probably change their mind on if they want to join.

Not got much faith in the mechanics you've created?

Or is this more of a "This is definitely not everybody's cup of tea" type thing?

Or is this more of a "This is definitely not everybody's cup of tea" type thing?
This, there is some rather complex formulas for certain things. I am not overly concerned but I am aware that people start getting scared when more than 3 variables show up even if the order is defined and the variables are also defined in a set array of values.

I am planning on making what amounts to a cheat sheet with all feasible permutations of the equations for a given action, with the mechanics with only the true variable remaining to be solved. The point remains that the mechanics are fairly beefy for this and have a weird narrative/mechanical interweaving which probably isnt going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
I think I'll tentatively pick Horus for now. Was considering Curze but he's got a claimant now. Though I suspect there'll be reshuffling before the game proper starts

Last edited:
...I read that three times and somehow managed to miss that. Vulkan, then.
marked

That said, what is the Emperor's personality like? TTS or Canon or something in between?
To say the truth I frankly despise the current path of making Emps the worst person ever, TTS is also just not something fitting for the setting so it's out. Basically for me Emps is brutally pragmatic, he is convinced that there are threats in the galaxy that have to be stopped within a matter of centuries or they will kill everything and as such he will sacrifice any long term or short term thing in order to ensure their defeat. The Emperor is not nice or good at this point, suffering from tons of PTSD and other forms of trauma, but all his actions are with the goal of ensuring Humanity's long term survival. He is also aware of Chaos seeking champions, but he is of the opinion that provide it comes after those threats like the orks are handled, then so be it. Anything that lets Humanity continue onward is an acceptable price to pay.

TLDR Emps is a traumatized war veteran with major blind spots, but he does follow his own logical axioms to his actions. Find those axioms and you will be able to generally predict his actions. He is also not needlessly cruel on his side.

Currently my head canon is that the Primarchs see Emps as the worst version they can see him as, barring Horus and Magnus who sees him as the best version possible.

Last edited:
Currently my head canon is that the Primarchs see Emps as the worst version they can see him as, barring Horus and Magnus who sees him as the best version possible.
I'm pretty sure that was never the case with Rogal or Sanguinius, who both viewed him positively... plus other Primarchs who were never particularly close with him to begin with but also didn't dislike him such as Vulkan.

I think the idea that ADB proposed was that whoever Emps is talking to sees and hears what they expect to hear, good or bad. Not a fan personally though.

I'm pretty sure that was never the case with Rogal or Sanguinius, who both viewed him positively... plus other Primarchs who were never particularly close with him to begin with but also didn't dislike him such as Vulkan.

I think the idea that ADB proposed was that whoever Emps is talking to sees and hears what they expect to hear, good or bad. Not a fan personally though.
true, the whole Emps variant form is a headache to fit, but generally I feel that its twisted towards dark lens. So regal tyrant, but still a tyrant.

Back