False Prophets (BattleTech CYOA)

Stingers should be usable as is. Because New Dallas militia must have despised the things. The Stinger post-dates modern 3025-tech standards.
The Stinger's a 2479 intro date, or something like, with the New Dallas boneyard being sealed off for good (insofar as nobody ever poked at it after X date) later in the 2500s, so I figured it was reasonable for there to be some non-primitives in there. We do know from other bits of fluff that the Terran Hegemony operated closer to what we'd consider a normal service lifetime for hardware, i.e. expecting an individual DropShip to be in service for twenty to thirty years (that is to say, the ship itself rather than the class), rather than two hundred. Given that the cockpits on the Stingers famously suck, and we're also told the New Dallas militia did get nice stuff for a militia...

Freaking Carp. Truly, he is the best addition to the tigers.
I enjoy the character, myself, a lot more than I'd anticipated.

I'm not sure I understand the value here. Who cares about a bunch of intelligence reports centuries old?
Maybe it has data on other caches?
'Memory Core' in BattleTech terminology... refers to a valuable database of information, which in BT implicitly includes technical and scientific data. The New Dallas core canonically contains cutting-edge Terran Hegemony engineering and science data (read: better than most of the Star League) up to the fall of the Hegemony.

Canonically the Hegemony/New Dallas memory core is roughly parallel to the Helm core, though Helm was specifically curated by SLDF personnel on Helm as a 'rebuild civilisation after the fall' doomsday failsafe, whereas the New Dallas data is basically stuff downloaded from the space internet by space scraper bots - well, other Hegemony government computers, less flippantly - doing their own thing for something like 200-300 years.

The issue here is that 'memory core' is in and of itself a particular bit of language signposting for BT fans. Usually I'm better at explaining my use of such things, with the understanding that a lot of people reading this aren't going to catch BT lore minutiae. In this case I let it slide since there's already text earlier in the story explaining what a 'memory core' is, back in the sequence I wrote for Helm.

Granted, part of the issue is that 'memory core' may be a bit of a neologism even within the setting, it's potentially a retroactive term used by natives of the thirty-first century with particular meaning... rather than something people in, say, the twenty-eighth century necessarily used. The Helm Memory Core was actually called the Star League Field Library (though some people think that's just what the reader terminals or reader software was called, but whatever)... while the New Dallas core is just the hard drives from a HCID/HCIB listening post.

Out-of-universe, the Helm core was introduced in one of the first BattleTech novels, back in the 80s, and the now-universal BT phrase 'memory core' is not used in the book - it hadn't yet been coined.

Last edited:
whereas the New Dallas data is basically stuff downloaded from the space internet by space scraper bots, doing their own thing for something like 200-300 years.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a fair bit of Keeler's rebuild civilization doomsday failsafe was itself scraped from the space internet.

As far as mechs even possible to be present here let alone likely... we have a few types.

Note: There is very likely to be very few non-primitive mechs. Just listing them for completion sake. And I am assuming a roughly 2550 cutoff date.

Primitive Lights are very thin pickings. It basically boils down to:
WSP-1 Wasp: A significantly less impressive version of the Wasp.

Standard tech Lights are a tad more populated:
LCT-1V Locust: The same modern design in use today
THE-F Thorn: A non jumping 20 tonner with 2 MLs and an LRM-5.
STG-3R Stinger: The same modern design in use today
WSP-1A Wasp: Again, the same modern design in use today.

Primitive Mediums, a number of designs but well, yeah:
KY2-D-01 Kyudo: Intended as a screening element for the Mackie and it shows. Somewhat decent design even today with a significant amount of upgrade potential.
RFL-1N Rifleman: The grand-daddy of the modern Rifleman, continuing its fine tradition of being ovegunned and undersinked. Except this time the armor is decidedly average instead of dire.
SHD-1R Shadow Hawk: Slower then the modern Shadow Hawk [except in jumps] and armed only with an AC/5 and ML its surprisingly decent back in it's day... except it has long long past it's day.

Standard tech designs... are nothing particually special:
GLD-3R Gladiator: A pair of LRM-10s and MLs, 5/8/5 movement. Passable armor, passable heat sinks. Not many manufactured but there could potentially be one in the New Dallas militia boneyard.
GLD-4R Gladiator: Its a long-lost cousin of the 55 tonner trio. PPC, SRM-6, 2 MLs, 5/8/5 movement, same armor tonnage, 13 sinks. Slightly less likely to be present given it's only production run was not completed but again could be present.
GRF-1N Griffin: Modern Griffin, introduced in 2490s so could be present. Unlikely because it was still considered frontline HAF hardware, unlike the Gladiators which could be relegated because of their being "Special".
TRC-4B Chameleon: Still in common use but there might have been the odd dilapidated training mech stored away and forgotten about.

Primitive heavies are a varied class and many were amongst the older designs introduced:
ARC-A1 Archer: Its pretty much a modern archer except slower and slightly thinner armored with no rear lasers. Entirely workable and a good design.
GRF-1A Griffin: Yes, its a heavy. Its pretty much a slower modern Griffin with less LRMs. Workable, but nothing special.
HEP-1H Helepolis: Slow, overly specialized, could have been done with a vehicle... are we sure the Lyrans didn't invent this?
ON1-H Orion: Its a slower version of the modern Orion. 5 less LRM tubes, 3/5 movement is about the only extent of design differences.
ON1-C Orion: Retains the modern Orion's 4/6 movement. This is the only good thing to say about it because it lost over 25% of it's armor, all its missiles and downgraded it's AC10 to an AC5 to pull it off. I can't exactly say it is worth it.
OWR-2M Ostwar: One of those primitive designs you wish there was a 3025 version of. LRM-20, 2 SRM-4s, 2 MLs, good armor, sufficient heat sinks, all only let down by it's primitive 3/5 movement rate.

Modern tech HAF heavies by this point are well.. yeah.

ARC-2R Archer: See TRO 3025/3039. By 2550 the design is 76 years old so older examples might be present.
GLT-3N Guillotine: This is a modern HAF design in the mid 2500s... but it was introduced in 2499. Other then that check 2750/3050R/3050U for details. Extremely unlikely thanks to it's Endo-Steel and CASE.
HEP-2H Helepolis: 2488 introduction, often deployed to militia units. One or two might be present but I still question the usefulness of a design where you can just stuff it on a vehicle much cheaper. A company of Helepolis takes up as much tonnage on a dropship as a company and a half of SP Artillery. And the vehicles will often carry more rounds per tube as well.
ON1-K Orion: This is the great, the glorious, the original ride of Aleksandr Kerensky, it needs very little introduction and... is only 25 years old in 2550. So unlikely to be present. Bugger.
OSR-2C Ostroc: A large let down after the Ostwar, this is one of the somewhat infamously fragile and undersinked TRO 3025 Osts.
WHM-6R Warhammer: The glorious Warhammer, 35 years old as of this point. Possible, but unlikely.

Assault Mechs are the bread and butter of the HAF and it shows in their wide selection for the era:
BNC-1E Banshee: In many ways better, design wise, then the modern Banshee, this design is somewhat effective for it's primitive era day. Sadly, it is undergunned today.
EMP-1A Emperor: An expedient design for the HAF it combines extremely good armor for it's era... with a pair of AC5s and 3 MLs. This is... underwhelming to say the least and it explains why the HAF originally passed on it.
MSK-5S Mackie: The original BattleMech, this design combines a LL, AC/5 and PPC on a single platform, with sufficient heat sinks to somewhat cope with it, 3/5 movement and good armor for it's era.
MSK-6S Mackie: Its complimentary design, introduced alongside it. AC/10, PPC, 2 medium lasers. Much better at punching big holes and with superior damage output, it suffers a tad in terms of heat compared to the original.

Standard tech Assaults are unlikely... but the HAF does feature a number of designs in this era:
BNC-3E Banshee: There is not much that needs to be said here, Overengined, underarmed and just as sucky in 2475 as 3025.
EMP-5A Emperor: Now this is a tad more like it. 2 LLs, 2 AC5s, 3 MLs, max armor, jump jets. IT runs a little toasty... but its a big improvement.
MSK-7A Mackie: A new generation of technology, a new generation of Mackie. It is noted most HAF Mackies were refitted to this standard starting in the 2470s. PPC, AC/20, 2 Large Lasers, solid solid thick armor. Runs a little hot but it goes to show why the HAF kept using their Mackies.
VTR-9A1/9A/9B Victor: Fairly recent additions to the HAF, unlikely to be present, but otherwise basically the 3025 era Victor designs and it's predecessors.

Edit: There wasn't exactly many mechs in service at this point and the designs were not as muddled up between groups. Though, there IIRC was a fair number of clones of Terran designs in use elsewhere. I doubt the Hegemony would copy someone else's though. They did when they moved to the standard tech era, but that was more because of the Star League.

Last edited:
So, a question about the Mackie?

How difficult would an upgraded version be to build?

The replacing of the 360 engine to a 300 and upgunning the weapons?

The MSK-9H build with 2 PPC's, a AC-20 & 2 ML?

An Assault Mech you have the specs for is still an Assault Mech. Hell, sell it for it's ruggedness.

An Alternative is to redesign the Mackie as a testbed. You DO have Engineer?

Ref

The voice over my earpieces belonged to Feng Jacobs, the daughter of Liam and Qi Jacobs… or perhaps that should have been Feng Shangguan, the daughter of Liam Jacobs and Qi Shangguan, since both mother and daughter had recently gone back to using Qi's maiden name. They really were cutting ties.

Feng Shangguan shared her mother's annoyance at her father. Especially since it'd impacted her own career. FlameTech had been leery about one of their engineers being investigated by SAFE for potential Lyran links. For that reason, she was now back on Dalian and working for KZC at the Dongyue industrial zone. I'd pulled strings for that, but she was a qualified weapons engineer, if not exactly what the project needed.

Running communications and control room monitoring was probably criminally under-utilising Feng's actual expertise, since her engineering thesis work had focused on the chemical propellants as employed in modern weapons... and the basic MN1-2K Sarissa I was piloting didn't have a single ballistic or missile weapon to speak of. The variants we were experimenting with did carry mixed loadouts, but the original Sarissa had been all-energy in order to streamline logistics, simplify mechanical complexity, and reduce the risk of ammo explosions. The MN1-2K was a straight update of the ancient MN1-K, with no changes to the weapons and hardpoints.

As I did, it occurred to me that Feng surely did know how to run diagnostics on an exclusively laser-equipped BattleMech. The Jacobs family 'Mech was a CRB-27 Crab, now in Qi's possession, and Feng had grown up helping her parents maintain the machine. Maybe I hadn't done her such a disservice after all, in hiring her for KZC.

It is at base a 100 ton test mech.

Mod it with a Binary Las, an AC-20 and other things? It has the space and tonnage to spare if you switch out the engine.

Last edited:
Question - are you going to use the New Dallas data-core to only have military blueprints, or like me, also having a lot of industrial blueprints ?
Because intelligence services like to collect info on everything, and data on automated factories that produce military hardware is also very valuable.

The replacing of the 360 engine to a 300 and upgunning the weapons?

The MSK-9H build with 2 PPC's, a AC-20 & 2 ML?

An Assault Mech you have the specs for is still an Assault Mech. Hell, sell it for it's ruggedness.

While you could argue that since the Mackie is the first true Mech to build the infrastructure necessary for it is more basic and that it therefore makes sense to build and upgrade it I personally doubt that this is enough to outweigh the fact that it is a very outdated design and that you are probably far better off trying to implement one of the more modern designs. After all in many ways they are updates to the Mackie and the actual challenges of Mech to Mech combat as well as decades of experience in producing,piloting and fighting mechs. Unless you come across a functional factory producing them (and all the equally outdated equipment that goes into them, none of which is likely still in production anywhere) I really don't see this being the best investment of resources...

It is at base a 100 ton test mech.

And when exactly do you need a 100 ton test mech? Unless you are testing if bridges can withstand mechs crossing them I would argue that you are far better off choosing a smaller, more easier to modify, mech to test your new weapons, armour etc.

well, as Carp said, they can probably sell a lot of the older/outdated stuff to collectors/museums. If nothing else it'll get them cash to spend on renovating the stuff that is worthwhile to update.

Edit to add: And the fact that they are selling stuff off that way would probably reassure Comstar that they didn't find much of importance on New Dallas.

Last edited:

While you could argue that since the Mackie is the first true Mech to build the infrastructure necessary for it is more basic and that it therefore makes sense to build and upgrade it I personally doubt that this is enough to outweigh the fact that it is a very outdated design and that you are probably far better off trying to implement one of the more modern designs.
I figure the best argument against the Mackie is the fact that there isn't any canon record of it being built after the original run, aside from the Terran Hegemony itself bloody-mindedly producing Mackies all the way up to the Amaris coup. By that point everyone else had already stolen the plans or reverse-engineered the 'Mech, did build some... and stopped. For a lot of the primitives, they do re-enter production (sometimes very late in canon timeline, Jihad and post-Jihad), but nobody bothers with the Mackie. Since the Mackie was widely cloned, it's likely that people do have the plans, and still aren't trying to manufacture it.

Question - are you going to use the New Dallas data-core to only have military blueprints, or like me, also having a lot of industrial blueprints ?
Because intelligence services like to collect info on everything, and data on automated factories that produce military hardware is also very valuable.
There's probably non-military stuff there, I assume - as you say, given what it was - that it would collect information more generally. I'll likely delve into this a little for an upcoming bit.

Fast Travel 7.5: The Wolf Who Lived
Fast Travel 7.5: The Wolf Who Lived

Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,
Possessed by what we now no more possessed.
Something we were withholding made us weak
Until we found out that it was ourselves
-- Robert Frost, The Gift Outright (1942)​

CWS DIRE WOLF, UNKNOWN SYSTEM
4 JAN 3019

"Jaime, Joshua, Natasha," Kerlin Ward said, warmly. "Or should that be Galaxy Commander, Star Colonel, and Star Colonel, quiaff?"

Joshua exchanged a glance with his brother and his wife. He was not quite certain what to say to that. Joshua did not know Kerlin Ward well. As a freeborn soldier, slightly younger and more junior than either Jaime or Natasha, he had not had much contact with the leader of Clan Wolf. He had met Kerlin Ward, of course, but only after he had been assigned as Jaime's second to take the Dragoons into the Inner Sphere.

But this was a private meeting, a closed audience, with the supreme leader of Clan Wolf. They were in a private observation chamber, located on one of the grav decks ringing the CWS Dire Wolf, the flagship of the Clan Wolf fleet. Being on the vessel itself was an honour, for the venerable heavy cruiser had once been the SLS Kharkov, one of the last survivors of the SLDF's First Fleet. Today, of course, it housed the Khan of Clan Wolf and the command DropShip of the Wolf touman.

Joshua was never sure precisely what to expect from Kerlin Ward. For the man to greet them like old friends… that was hardly unpleasant, but it was not what he had expected.

Joshua could not help but suspect that Khan Kerlin Ward wanted something from them. It felt to Joshua like Kerlin Ward had some additional agenda, beyond simply receiving the Dragoons' report and debriefing them in person.

Thankfully, it was Jaime who answered, meaning that Joshua was not put on the spot.

"Respectfully, my Khan," Jaime said. "While I thank you for the honour, I do not hold the rank of Galaxy Commander."

Khan Ward shook his head. "That you do not… is a matter of politics and prejudice. You command more than five regiments. A brigade. A galaxy, in our classifications. One that has seen more combat than any of our regular line galaxies."

"That combat has cost us. With the losses we have taken," Joshua said, cautiously, "we are not at full strength."

The Khan of the Wolf Clan made a dismissive noise. "For now. You shall be strong again, quiaff?"

"Aff," Natasha said, firmly. "Definitely aff. If the Clan is still behind us?"

"Aff," Khan Ward agreed. "Clan Wolf stands with you, although I cannot say if all the Clans would agree. Nor can I assure you that future Khans of the Wolf would share my position."

Natasha frowned. "Is that a threat?"

The trueborn Clan officer standing beside Khan Kerlin Ward spoke up, defusing the spike in tension. Star Colonel Vlad Dinour was good at that. The man was one of the finest officers Joshua had ever met - and charismatic, like so many of his genetic legacy were.

"No threat, Star Colonel Kerensky," Vlad Dinour said, calmly. "The Khan is merely describing the reality. The Crusaders in the Grand Council have never liked the compromise that led to the formation of your unit, the very compromise that you continue to represent. Your successes in the Inner Sphere, great as they may be, do not add to your honour in their eyes, only jealousy and resentment."

"Surats," Natasha muttered.

Vlad Dinour flashed a smile. "Quite. As for Clan Wolf, in my own time with the Wolf touman, I have come to see that although the Great Father's Clan remains a bastion of Warden philosophy, even the Wolf has Crusader adherents. There may yet come a day when the Crusaders are ascendant, both without and within."

Dinour was not a Wolf bloodname. It was a Goliath Scorpion one, and Vlad Dinour had once commanded the Scorpions' elite Heartvenom Cluster.

The saKhan of the Goliath Scorpions had offered assistance to Clan Wolf in training and preparing the Wolf's Dragoons for their long mission to the Inner Sphere, as the Scorpions were experts when it came to history and the Inner Sphere, due to their seeker tradition of allowing itinerant warriors to wander the Periphery. Some Scorpions had even accompanied the Wolf Dragoons to the Inner Sphere, with a number working with Cranston Snord's Irregulars and others with Wolfnet.

Vlad Dinour had not joined the Dragoons mission. But he had been one of their instructors in the fighting tactics and philosophies of the Successor States, and his Heartvenom Cluster had worked as an opposing force during their training. Joshua remembered him well.

Today, Vlad Dinour was not wearing the uniform of a Goliath Scorpion, but that of a Clan Wolf officer. Joshua was not certain of all the details, for the change had occurred while he and the Dragoons were in the Inner Sphere. But from what he understood, Khan Kerlin Ward had been so impressed by Vlad Dinour that Clan Wolf had launched a trial for Star Colonel Dinour, himself.

He had been taken as abtakha and adopted into Clan Wolf, and given the Wolf's own Fourth Striker Cluster as an experiment. Star Colonel Dinour had reshaped the Fourth into a Scorpion-style formation, placing emphasis on not just BattleMechs, but using 'Mechs, Elementals, and aerospace assets in equal measure.

For that matter, the Wolf's Dragoons used some of those Goliath Scorpion lessons too. Their ranks were not as balanced as the Scorpion's, and naturally they could not use battle armoured infantry openly in the Inner Sphere, for that would raise too many questions. But the Dragoons did employ a combined arms approach.

Jaime narrowed his eyes, looking suspiciously at Vlad Dinour. "If this is not a threat, Star Colonel Dinour, is it a warning? Is there something afoot in the homeworlds that I should know about?"

"You may say so," Khan Ward interjected, speaking before Vlad Dinour could. "Your latest intelligence from the Inner Sphere has created a stir in the Grand Council, and among the command ranks of each Clan. I have perused your reports, myself, and the analysis of your Wolfnet. But tell me plainly, is this Solaris Conference, this Solaris Community, the Star League reborn?"

"Neg," Natasha said, immediately, without any hesitation. "It's not the Star League. It's something, but no League."

As Natasha answered, Joshua exchanged a look with Jaime. His brother made a small movement of his head, a signal that Joshua should carry on. Joshua did not know where and how the perception had spread that he was the more strategically and politically savvy of the Wolf brothers, the 'big picture' man… but even Jaime had bought into the idea. It was why Joshua ran the headquarters staff of the Dragoons, and not Jaime himself.

Joshua resisted the urge to sigh, and instead racked his brain for the right words. "There are several important differences between the new pact signed by the Lyran Commonwealth, Free Worlds League, Federated Suns, and several Periphery states. It is not as tightly wedded a union as the Star League. They do not have a First Lord, and their decision-making requires unanimity. Their equivalent of the High Council does not have the power to make binding legislation for all members. Anything agreed at the interstellar level must be further ratified by the parliaments or congressional equivalents of each state."

"And," Jaime added, "they do not have the SLDF."

"Yes," Joshua agreed. "I was about to say. They do not have a Star League level military, and matters of mutual defence are only notional. There has been talk within the involved states of coming to each other's aid and respecting each other's borders, but much of this is not within the text of the Solaris Declaration. Such matters are not set in stone, not yet."

Natasha laughed, a short and cynical sound. "Wait for it. The moment the Capellan Confederation or the Circinus Federation get up to their old tricks, we'll see how serious Katrina Steiner and her new friends are."

Khan Ward glanced at both Natasha and Joshua. "You believe that the Lyran Commonwealth and Free Worlds League will stand together? It was not so long ago that House Steiner and House Marik were at each other's throats. As you know well."

The Wolf's Dragoons had fought on the Lyran-Free Worlds border for the offensive campaign ordered by Janos Marik in 3016, and had taken heavy losses on the Lyran factory world of Hesperus II… so yes, the Dragoons were very familiar with the practical dynamics of Steiner-Marik relations.

"Captain-General Janos Marik mobilised his forces, and us, against the Lyran Commonwealth because House Steiner claimed a Star League memory core from them… a trial of grievance following a trial of possession," Joshua said. "However, it now appears that Steiner and Marik agree that fighting each other is not the best use of their energies. Steiner and Marik have knowledge from Helm, while Davion has data from Halstead Station."

"Their scientists and technicians will want time to go through that knowledge, and convert it into operational technology for their forces," Vlad Dinour mused. "Then they will turn their efforts to bringing House Kurita and House Liao to the table… or to heel, depending on how recalcitrant the Kurita and Liao are."

Khan Ward clasped his hands behind his back. "That is the possibility that alarms our Crusader brethren. Our fellows that follow the Crusader doctrine, and the Crusader factions within the neutral and Warden Clans… they are concerned by this alliance within the Inner Sphere, and the prospect of the Inner Sphere regaining Star League technology."

"Funny how that works," Natasha remarked. "Before we arrived in the Inner Sphere, the Grand Council assumed that the Inner Sphere already had Star League technology, and that was in all the Crusader calculations calling for an invasion."

Jaime smiled, wanly. "Instead, we discovered that the Successor States had declined far further than expected."

"The Crusaders have had more than a decade to come to terms with the actual state of affairs in the Inner Sphere and Periphery," Joshua said. "A state of affairs that suits their rhetoric, because they want to see the Inner Sphere as ripe for conquest. Now that the situation may change, once again, they are not going to be pleased."

Vlad Dinour nodded, once. "There is talk in the High Council of calling for another invasion vote, to take the Inner Sphere and Terra before Steiner, Marik, and Davion further consolidate their power."

Jaime glanced at Vlad Dinour, but he turned his main attention towards Khan Kerlin Ward. "Is this true? Is it likely that an invasion bid will pass?"

"Now? Neg," Khan Ward replied. "While your news from the Inner Sphere has stirred the Crusaders in a frenzy, it has been better received among the Wardens, and our allies. While we too believe in the ilKhan's vision, Nicholas Kerensky himself said that it is our duty to ward the Inner Sphere from outside forces until the Star League is reborn. If the Star League is to be revived, it will come from within the Inner Sphere… not without, and not from the Crusaders. If the Great Houses of the Inner Sphere and the lesser Houses of the Periphery are coming together, once again, it is our duty to safeguard that growth, not to crush it."

"For the present," Vlad Dinour said, "the High Council remains stalemated. Clan Wolf is opposing an immediate invasion call, with the support of Goliath Scorpion and Cloud Cobra. Snow Raven and Steel Viper are not as strongly convinced of our reasoning, but their Khans and saKhans are in agreement with Khan Ward, for now. On the Crusader side, the more… opportunistic, such as the Diamond Sharks, or the conservative, like the Ghost Bears, are also not fervent supporters of a push for our toumans to return to the Inner Sphere… not until the strategic picture is fully resolved."

Jaime considered this. "Clan Smoke Jaguar and Clan Jade Falcon are the ones arguing in favour of invasion, quiaff?"

"Aff," answered Vlad Dinour. "As you say. As well as Ice Hellion."

"That doesn't mean much," Natasha opined. "The Hellions will vote for anything involving a scrap. I bet they don't have mirrors in their bathrooms - if they did, their warriors would keep trying to fight their own reflections, instead of pissing and shitting."

Khan Kerlin Ward chuckled. "You may be correct, Star Colonel. I cannot say I have ever had the pleasure of being in an Ice Hellion lavatory, so I cannot refute that claim."

"Khan," Joshua said, "with respect, I doubt you called us here to exchange jokes about Clan Ice Hellion, or even to hear our thoughts on developments in the Inner Sphere. Jaime, Natasha, and I have contributed our views to the report, in greater depth than we have said here. Please forgive me if I am too bold, but there is something more that you wish to address, quaiff?"

Jaime looked startled, flashing a warning look at Joshua. Natasha simply grinned.

The Khan of Clan Wolf did not look offended. Instead, he smiled, his good cheer still in place.

"Aff. An astute observation, Joshua Wolf," Khan Ward said. "You are correct. I have new orders for the Wolf's Dragoons, the sort that cannot simply be issued, but must be discussed. So that you understand the intent and the spirit, not merely the form of the words."

"What might," Joshua asked, "these orders be?"

"For nearly fifteen years," Khan Kerlin Ward said, "the Wolf's Dragoons have been charged with reconnoitering the Successor States, working for each of the Great Houses as mercenaries. In order to study and understand them, to better pave the way for the future conquest that the Crusaders want. You have performed admirably in this role. But now, your mission must change."

That did not bode well, Joshua thought. He could not help but feel apprehensive, even if Khan Ward was speaking as if he was a kindly sibko instructor rather than the war leader that he was.

"Upon your return to the Inner Sphere," Khan Ward continued, "your new duty is to prepare the Inner Sphere for a Clan invasion, for the day that we in the Pentagon and Cluster can no longer hold back the Crusaders."

"You're joking," Natasha blurted.

"No, Star Colonel Kerensky," Khan Ward said. "I am very serious."

I think that there's only one thing they really need to show the Inner Sphere, and that's Elementals.

That's the only thing that there's no real equivilant.

well, they almost literally can't do it worse than they did in canon...
Random Wolf Dude: "What is this Minnesota Tribe we keep hearing about?"
Random Combine Dude: "You must be one of today's lucky ten thousand. Come, sit, and I will tell you of the SLDF remnant that attacked the Combine in 2825."
Random Wolf Dude: "I will stand, thank you. Please, do go on."

Random Wolf Dude: "What is this Minnesota Tribe we keep hearing about?"
Random Combine Dude: "You must be one of today's lucky ten thousand. Come, sit, and I will tell you of the SLDF remnant that attacked the Combine in 2825."
Random Wolf Dude: "I will stand, thank you. Please, do go on."
Miwa: "If you break our cover for that stupid vendetta, I swear, I will gut you myself, all five feet nothing of me, and then I'll hand you over to the Wolf brothers to finish the job. If you can't keep your head while gathering intel, then don't try at all."

For a lot of the primitives, they do re-enter production (sometimes very late in canon timeline, Jihad and post-Jihad), but nobody bothers with the Mackie.

A few groups do start producing primitive Mackies during the Jihad.

Edasich Motors of Aur [Alongside the Ymir]
Harmony MetalWorks of Harmony.

Very few primitives failed to return to production during the Jihad.

Lyrans alone produced:
Commando x5 [1x Still in production post Jihad]
Ostwar
Archer
Dervish
Mackie
Ymir
Phoenix
Pathfinder [New build primitive design, with an ERML!]
Bellerophon
Gladiator [Still in production post Jihad]
Kyudo [Still in production post Jihad]
Battleaxe [Still in production post Jihad]

Last edited:
Omake: TechWarrior 3020 - Medium FWL 'Mechs
This isn't a chapter update, just an omake. I just felt silly.

"Tonight: Prichard crashes a priceless prototype, we lose track of our reasonably-priced 'Mech, and the Stig fights his battle armoured cousin."

TechWarrior 3020

"We've been to the Free Worlds League before," said Remy Clarkston. The tri-vid host stood on the ferrocrete of a military-looking facility, the purple eagle of House Marik visible on a building in the background.

"Despite sharing part of its name with the Star League, the Free Worlds League… the lesser League… has never been very good for original BattleMech production. They make all the old favourites, but so does everyone else. They created the Longbow, but that's now manufactured in the Federated Suns and elsewhere. They gave us the Flea, but that's now more famous as a Wolf's Dragoons 'Mech, and not a Marik one."

"But the Free Worlds League says," Clarkston continued, "that's changed. So TechWarrior is here to put that claim to the test."

The camera followed Clarkston as he walked down the ferrocrete, with his hands in the pockets of his bomber jacket. "Because mediums are the real backbone of 'Mech forces across the Inner Sphere and Periphery, the producers decided we should try out three of the Free Worlds League's new medium designs."

Clarkston stopped at the foot of a BattleMech - a clawed, digitigrade foot. The camera zoomed out and panned up, revealing the broad-shouldered shape of a forty-ton BattleMech, but one unfamiliar to most viewers.

"This," Clarkston said, "is the LIB-4T Liberator by Kali Yama Weapons Industries."

"It looks like Kali Yama ran out of money," remarked Arames March, stepping into the frame. The co-host eyed the towering BattleMech with a critical eye. "Where's the rest of its torso?"

The BattleMech was indeed more shoulders and arms than body, with gangly and inhuman proportions.

"It's a low-profile chassis," Clarkston said, "to present a smaller target to the enemy."

"Looks like it needs a sandwich," March replied.

"Well," said Clarkston, irritably, "what have you brought, then?"

The camera panned over to a second medium BattleMech, this one obvious more massive and more heavily-armoured than the Liberator, though still within the same weight class. Unlike the Liberator's digitigrade feet and three-fingered clawed hands, the second BattleMech had a conventional humanoid layout, with regular hand actuators and sturdy-looking legs.

"I've got the MN1-2K Sarissa from Corean Enterprises and Kevan-Zou Consolidated," March replied.

Remy Clarkston peered at his colleague's BattleMech. "If an IndustrialMech and a tank made sweet mechanical love in a factory... nine months later, that would be the result."

"KZC does build it on a converted industrial line," admitted March. "Like the original Sarissa, in the twenty-fifth century."

"Wasn't the Sarissa designed when the Mackie was cutting-edge?"

March looked as if he was about to voice a retort, when the distinctive sound of a BattleMech's footfalls interrupted the exchange. Both March and Clarkston turned, as a third 'Mech arrived.

"It's Prichard," Arames March said. "He's brought a Hermes II."

"He hasn't," muttered Clarkston. "Oh, for the love of… he has."

Prichard Gammond dismounted from the Hermes II, using built-in handholds near the cockpit, and riding a zipline to the ground. He was already clad in a cooling vest and boxer shorts.

"Prichard," Clarkston asked, "what's that?"

"It's a Hermes," replied the third host of the tri-vid programme.

"You utter pillock," Clarkston said, "you were supposed to bring a new medium BattleMech."

"It's a new Hermes… "

March looked up at the BattleMech. "I get confused with the Hermes series. Is that a Hermes I or a Hermes II? One of those isn't even a medium."

Prichard Gammond shrugged. "It's a Hermes II."

"I don't see how you can tell," said Clarkston.

Gammond pointed at the 'Mech. "The Two has the… wait, no, that's the… "

"You see? They've been making the same BattleMech for four hundred years," Clarkston accused.

"The Irian Technologies brochure says that the new Hermes II prototype has… 'thousands' of new parts," said March, in a voice that suggested he was directly quoting the marketing material.

"Ones that look exactly like the old parts, you mean," Clarkston shot back.

Gammond gestured at the first BattleMech in line. "It's still better looking than that. I know it's the Sarissa that's supposed to be from an IndustrialMech factory, but the Liberator looks like it stepped out of one."

"It's a revolutionary chassis," Clarkston defended. "It's an intimidating-looking BattleMech, a BattleMech that has anger-management problems."

"Eating problems, more like," March offered.

"Janos Marik commissioned this 'Mech himself," Clarkston continued.

"You realise," Gammond said, "you could stick a Kali Yama badge on an UrbanMech - and the Free Worlds League would still buy it."

"Just look at it," Clarkston insisted. "It's a superb looking 'Mech. This is the future of 'Mech design."

"It looks even more like a scarecrow than the Vulcan," March said.

"The Liberator is meant to compete with both line trooper BattleMechs," Clarkston argued, "and fast mediums. That means… "

"Hold on," March interrupted. "You're not seriously suggesting that this... ridiculous-looking. overpriced, and over-budget boondoggle is an alternative to both the fifty-five trio and Prichard's Hermes."

"I've suddenly remembered why I don't like talking to you," said Clarkston, petulantly.

"Just read the challenge," Gammond said.

"Right, then," muttered Clarkston, as he accepted an envelope from a crew member in technician's coveralls. Opening it, he read out the note card inside.

"Each of you must pilot your BattleMech across the Eagle Corps' hostile terrain combat course on the continent of Paltos. You lose ten points if you're killed, five points for any crash, and one point for each standard tick of armour and structural damage to the BattleMech."

"Your Liberator does ninety-seven kilometres an hour, so does my Hermes," Gammond pointed out, "and Arames' Sarissa is slower. Are there any points for finishing first?"

Clarkston turned over the card, poking at the back. "It doesn't say."

"I'm feeling quite good about this, chaps," said March, brightly.

Prichard Gammond eyed March and Clarkston. "You know, he's going to make this into a race, anyway."

The distinctive silhouette of the LIB-4T moved across the countryside.

"In designing the Liberator, Kali Yama Weapons looked back at centuries of BattleMech development and battlefield experience, tried and tested skeleton designs, reactor housings, and then said... no, we're not having any of that, we're giving a blank cheque to some blokes on Kalidasa."

Digitigrade feet crunched over terrain, as the 'Mech continued to lope across the landscape.

"On the outside, the Liberator looks incredible. It's when you're inside that you start to wonder… where has all that taxpayer money gone? Not the pilot's seat. I had a more comfortable chair when I was in a Capellan prison. I've seen better build quality on a Vindicator."

The holovid switched to an internal view of the cockpit, from a console-mounted camera looking at Remy Clarkston's sweating face.

"Kali Yama's new BattleMech has an amazingly daring torso and cockpit design. But does it perform any better? Well, after much deliberation, the simple answer is... no."

There was a muffled curse as the tri-vid host tried to pull on the throttle lever, only to bang his elbow and forearm against a metal strut and a control panel.

"Piloting the Liberator is like trying to make love in a broom closet. It's very cramped, very hot, and you can't see what you're doing. In the end, you're not making love, you're just making do."

Weapons roared as the LIB-4T unleashed a full alpha strike, two flights of LRMs spitting from the arms, followed by more missiles from a shoulder-mounted SRM rack. Tracer light marked the path of a large gamma laser, unleashing its energy from a centre torso mount, straight on the BattleMech's midline.

Inside the cockpit, Remy Clarkston spoke over the muted sounds of alarms, and the droning voice of heat warnings.

"I'm now playing what I like to call Hot Seat. The rules are simple. You let the heat gauge fill up, you let the warning lights go on, and then you see which shuts down first, the fusion engine, or the MechWarrior."

The tri-vid screen showed the vaguely fuzzy forms of simulated opponents, projected on the field by holographic emitters - a pair of Clints firing imaginary autocannons at the Liberator, as the Kali Yama BattleMech engaged in evasive maneuvers.

"The handling is hysterical. It's like piloting a motorcycle with legs. Though I must say," Clarkston commented, "the two-forty engine does sound good, a very enthusiastic noise, like it's trying hard… wait, no, no, that's the coolant pumps. They're redlining again."

From the Sarissa, Arames March frowned in consternation. "Is that… steam, coming off Remy's BattleMech?"

"Maybe he can try that old trick with cracking an egg in the radiator," Prichard Gammond said.

"In order to understand the significance of the Sarissa," Arames March said, in a much more sedate-looking cockpit. "I want you to imagine the early days of BattleMech development."

The Sarissa stomped across uneven ground, moving slower and more deliberately than the Liberator.

"The Terran Hegemony had just unveiled the Mackie, and everyone was trying to make their own BattleMech. The Draconis Combine produced the Gladiator, with a process so top secret that Coordinator Kozo Von Rohrs demanded round-the-clock surveillance of the designers, by the ISF."

Inside the Sarissa, March lifted one gloved hand from the throttle lever, and patted the main console.

"Around this time, a team from Corean on Stewart creates this - the Sarissa… with the schematics immediately distributed around the Free Worlds League, so any planet with an IndustrialMech plant and some elbow grease could build a BattleMech."

Faced with a simulated target, a Chameleon, the Sarissa fired its battery of lasers - the blasts passed through the Chameleon, of course, but the hologram showed molten armour scoring off the enemy 'Mech in great rents.

"The modern Sarissa built by KZC, under license from Corean, is really the same 'Mech - just with an updated cockpit, engine, and armour. They've kept the weapons, so it's slightly undergunned by trooper standards, but it also boasts more cooling than virtually any 'Mech in its tonnage. It's very difficult to overheat."

March smiled at the camera, from inside the cockpit, which was free from screeching alarms and heat warnings.

"So it's durable, extraordinary value for money, and more reliable than than the ComStar News Bureau… though… that's not hard to top, is it? More reliable than something very reliable."

The Sarissa strode away from the projected holographic wreckage of the Chameleon, accelerating back up to flank speed.

"I need to mention how it handles. The Sarissa isn't agile, but it has a lot of power and stability for its frame. There's nothing revolutionary about its Magna 250 engine, it's the same one Corean uses in their Trebuchet - but the centre of gravity on a Sarissa is lower and closer to the ground."

March paused.

"I quite like it, actually. It's simple, honest, engineering. Which means those two idiots will hate it."

"Meet the new Hermes II," Prichard Gammond said. "Which looks the same as the old Hermes II, yes… but wait."

The Hermes II piloted by Gammond walked past the burned-out hulk of an older Hermes BattleMech lying on the training course, before breaking into a run as the man inside pushed the throttle forward.

"Now, normally piloting a Hermes II is like trying to get a chatty drunk mate out of the pub, and into a taxi. He's pleasant enough, he's being friendly, but it would be so much easier if he could just stand on his own two feet and go where he's supposed to."

As the Hermes II ran, its metal feet and treaded soles churned up clouds of dirt and dust, along with great clumps of vegetation.

"The Star League Hermes was a much lighter chassis, and although the twenty-ninth century Hermes II we're all familiar with uses a bigger engine, it also carries more weight than the Star League version... so make that a drunk mate who's had a cheeky Nando's, or two, or three. In two hundred years, Irian have never recaptured the feeling of the original Hermes."

The camera view switched to an interior shot of the cockpit. Gammond's face, visible beneath the clear front of his neurohelmet, grinned broadly.

"This, though… this is a Hermes II who's sobered up, deleted his spacebook, and hit the gym."

Making a show of it, Gammond reached forward to the console, and flipped a clear protective cover up.

"Now, the Hermes II has a lot of design features that are a holdover from previous decades… centuries… of evolution. When the Hermes was first built, the heat sinks linked up to the feet of the 'Mech, the heels. There were heat radiators on the feet, like little wings. That's why the BattleMech is called the Hermes."

Gammond toggled the switch beneath the cover.

"But eventually the designers adopted a more standard heat sink layout, piping and venting through the torso… exactly what Remy's Liberator doesn't do. And we've seen how well that's worked for Kali Yama. The Hermes II, though… most Hermes 'Mechs still have those little foot wings. They just don't do anything. They haven't done anything for generations."

Six lights blinked on, glowing a steady green on the 'Mech's main console.

"Until now. This is what the boffins at Irian call the HER-4J. It uses an endo-steel chassis, like the original Hermes, saving weight, and swaps the armour for ferro-fibrous. Now, 'Mech manufacturers like to put all kinds of letters and numbers after a BattleMech's name. Typically, that doesn't mean anything, but in this case, the 'J' is accurate. Because, unlike any other Hermes II, Irian's tuning allows the 4J to do… this."

Plasma burst from the feet and back of the Hermes II, sending the 'Mech soaring into the sky in a dramatic arc, framed by the tri-vid camera.

"Look, ma, I'm flying!"

Then the Hermes II came back down to earth, the jump jets blazing wildly, and the whole 'Mech wobbling dangerously as it descended. Within the cockpit, Prichard Gammond's eyes widened.

"Oh dearie me."

Applause filled the hangar.

Arames March turned to his colleague. "And your verdict on the Liberator is?"

"I love it," Remy Clarkston insisted.

"You're just being stubborn," Prichard Gammond countered. "You made it sound like a dog's breakfast."

"It's utterly daft. It's hot, uncomfortable, cramped interior, an awful ride, the engine doesn't make a particularly nice noise, and it isn't economical," Clarkston listed off, eliciting a faint amount of laughter from the audience. "But there's such a thrill, such a sense of occasion, when you pilot it."

"BattleMechs are supposed to strike terror into the hearts of the enemy, not their own pilots," March said, dryly.

"The thing is that... Kali Yama have told us," Clarkston noted, "the Liberator I piloted was an early test model, and the actual ones which are going on sale are going to have a completely different cooling system, better ride comfort, revised cockpit controls. Completely different."

Gammond blinked. "Which begs the question, why did they let us review that one?"

"So all they've got to do," Clarkston summed up, "is change everything, put everything a proper BattleMech has into it, and it'll be terrific."

March looked at his other co-host. "And Prichard, the Hermes II?"

"It's a gorgeous BattleMech. I think it's fab," Gammond replied.

"As an engineering exercise, the Hermes II is astonishing," Clarkston admitted, grudgingly. "But all their efforts with the skeleton and the jets and the agility - and look at it, it looks exactly like an old Hermes."

"From a tactical perspective," March said, "isn't that an advantage?"

"But here's the thing," Gammond pointed out. "Irian says it's also a prototype, like the Liberator. Except while we know that Kali Yama is rolling out the Liberator, Irian's 4J Hermes II is more of a concept 'Mech. To show us what the future of the Hermes series might look like. They might not put it into production."

There were boos from the crowd.

"Wait," Clarkston protested. "So the one Hermes II they get right - in decades - and they're not building it?"

"They might do something else with the weight savings from the endo-steel," Prichard Gammond said.

"They're bloody teasing us, that's what they're doing," Clarkston grumbled.

"Alright," March interrupted. "Which brings us to the Sarissa."

"Yes," Clarkston said, "your glorified pickup truck."

March gave a small shake of his head. "Let's say you're a Free Worlds League procurement officer, and you've got to buy a new BattleMech. You're not going to buy that Liberator, are you? It's fancy, but you don't want fancy, you want reliable."

"Right," Clarkston admitted.

"And you can't buy that new Hermes II," March said. "Even if you want it."

"Right," Clarkston said again.

"So you'd buy one of these," March concluded.

"But it's boring," Clarkston complained. "For almost the same price point, I'd take a Shadow Hawk, a Griffin, a Wolverine… "

"Well," Gammond said, looking directly at the camera. "Nobody offered us updated models of those to test."

"So," Clarkston said, briskly. "Our guest tonight is a famous mercenary MechWarrior, rarely seen on camera - or on any other sensors, for that matter. But will he be seen in our reasonably-priced-'Mech? Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome - Colonel Morgan Kell!"

Last edited:
I love it.

Has anyone in this universe ever thought of weaponizing that heat exhaust? Or that jump mechanism they keep using to lift up a crapton of armor?

In the closing credits, Carp crashes the show with a Laser Fish to politely inform Gammond that the Urbanmech can be a respectable machine when it isn't put together by the Capellans.

The Jump Jet Attack IIRC. Does pitiful damage, so more of a desperation move.
No, that is merely using the jumps as an attack. What I meant was utilizing the heat as an actual weapon. Maybe sonething to overheat an oponents system? Or just make the jumpjets into something of a 'make enemy overheat' sort of weapon?

All this wasted system heat and they couldnt think of a single way they could weaponize it at all?

Back