False Prophets (BattleTech CYOA)

Career Mode 3.9
F. SPENCER CHAPMAN, HARLOW, NEW DELOS
2 JUN 3015

"Mm. I didn't miss anything, then," Sanren mumbled, while chewing on a mouthful of his lunch. That's what I assumed he meant. The volume and movements of his jaw made it difficult to be sure.

There was also a lot of ambient noise, because we were in one of the DropShip's bays. Sanren wasn't working, not while he was stuffing food into his face, but there was work going on behind us.

A late meal had been brought in for the people in the bays, with a messy service line set up at one end of the 'Mech niches. Food was being scooped out into tins and other containers. It wasn't fine cuisine, but it was reasonably hot, with carbs, one meat, and two vegetable. Or just more vegetable, for the vegetarians.

I wasn't sure what one of those vegetables was, besides something local to New Delos. It was green, leafy, but also quite bitter. I honestly hoped Anton Marik's partisans weren't trying to get at us by secretly poisoning our food supply. It was all fine and well for Janos Marik's commanders to insist we should extend our supplies by supplementing rations with locally procured foodstuffs, but it wasn't old Janos that would be squatting on a toilet if things went south.

The techs were eating in turn, though. Not everyone had downed tools. Even with a late lunch on the cards, work in the 'Mech bay was continuing apace.

The main nexus of activity was the Dervish assigned to Adrienne, where a tech crew was busy getting the torso armour off the chassis, allowing access to the missile tubes and ammo feeds on either side of the 'Mech's body.

We hadn't seen heavy combat, but we had run into a whole bunch of unsatisfactory little skirmishes. And throughout it all, Adrienne Pulaski was consistently reporting intermittent issues with one of her 'Mech's missile launchers, necessitating that the techs take a closer look.

By now, it was likely there was some kind of deep-rooted hardware fault rather than something in the software. At least that was my read on the situation, but I wasn't one of the tech crew.

I called them techs, but I recognised a couple of the people working on the 'Mechs as vehicle operators, not really astechs per-se. Plus, the lady running the hoist was with our infantry squads. Either they'd volunteered for extra work, or… in the age-old tradition of militaries everywhere, they'd been volunteered for extra work. Because that was how volunteering worked, in uniform. But press-ganging aside, some degree of double duty was getting quite usual for us, given our enduring manpower woes.

For that matter, the lead tech overseeing the work wasn't rostered to handle the 'Mechs from my command demi. Del Pulaski was the crew chief for her family's Kintaro and the rest of her brother's squad, not Able demi-company. But she was Adrienne's aunt, by virtue of that familial relation. She'd insisted on personally rolling up her sleeves and troubleshooting the faulty LRM matter.

It might have been kinship ties at work, but I figured it also had a lot to do with how Adrienne had been complaining about the missiles over the past few days. Loudly and repeatedly.

To be fair, Adrienne was in there, herself. I hadn't noticed her at first, but on second glance, she was one of the figures swarming over the Dervish, playing the role of astech rather than MechWarrior. That was the kind of responsibility I expected from pilots. It was gratifying to know at least one person followed my principles on the matter.

Further down the line, the Quickdraw we'd captured was suspended in a bay. Tristan Anjari's BattleMech, still sporting the paint and unit markings of the rebel Eighteenth Marik Militia. It had to be held up, since the machine couldn't stand on its own weight. The only partially-repaired legs saw to that, with one in particular missing an entire ankle and foot.

One disc-shaped rotor assembly on the Quickdraw had been thoroughly chewed up by autocannon rounds and PPC bolts. The techs had pulled the wreckage off the end of the leg and done what patching they could to the rest of the BattleMech, but there wasn't much more that could be done without parts from further up the House Marik supply line. We weren't anywhere near the top of the priority list, so I rather suspected that the 'Mech would not be going back into the field anytime soon.

"You're still supposed to attend the damn meetings," I told Sanren. "You're setting a bad example for the impressionable young personnel in your section."

Sanren stopped mid-motion, a spoonful of rice halfway to his mouth. He looked incredulously at me, across the rim of his metal mess tin, daring me to press the issue.

"Well, maybe not," I admitted.

Sanren pointed the end of his utensil at me, a few grains of steamed rice falling off the edge of the spoon and back into the mess tin in Sanren's other hand. "There's auto-transcripts. You make me read them. And you'll yell at me if there's anything important."

"That's not an answer," I said, doing my best to put on a firm front. I didn't have it in me to be much of a disciplinarian, but there had to be a limit somewhere. "You're a section head. You should at least turn up. There's gotta be minimum standards here."

"I'm heading," Sanren insisted. "This head says, there's real work to do."

He had a point, but I couldn't say that. Not when it undermined my own point. But the whole thing made me feel less like a mercenary, and more like corporate management. Admittedly, a merc group was a business, but I didn't want to start citing HR policy or anything. Trouble was, I couldn't prevail on military rank, either, because technically Sanren was a civilian employee rather than an officer or enlisted. My own personnel policies were coming back to bite me on the ass.

Of course, the root problem wasn't my ass, it was that Sanren was being an ass. And I knew he was an ass, I'd known since day one, so this wasn't a surprise.

Rather than continue fighting on that front, I took a different tack. "Well, what if you've got something to say to the other unit leaders? Part of the idea is to give everyone a voice."

"Fuck am I going to tell them," Sanren replied, sceptically. "Yeah. Quit wrecking the BattleMechs. Sure, that'd work."

I sighed. "I don't know, you could have something."

Sanren swallowed another mouthful of food. I sensed he was gearing up for another caustic remark, but surprisingly, it never came. Instead, he looked thoughtful. "There is one thing."

"Great," I said, with forced enthusiasm, clapping my hands. "Do tell."

Sanren rolled his eyes exaggeratedly, then pivoted on one booted foot, stomping down the hangar. I followed him. After a few steps, it was apparent that he was heading towards the bay holding the captured Quickdraw.

By safety regs, you were supposed to climb ladders with both hands, but Sanren seemed determined to do this with one hand only, since the other was carrying his mess tin of half-eaten lunch, his spoon rattling loosely amidst the rice, meat, and unidentified veggies.

I followed with both hands and both feet on the access ladder, because I was rather less keen on potentially falling and breaking something important.

By the time I hauled myself up to the platform, Sanren was standing by the BattleMech. We were now at the right height to look into the exposed innards of the 'Mech's abbreviated left leg. Sanren waved his entire lunch vaguely in the direction of the BattleMech's inner workings, making a kind of grunting sound.

"Sanren," I said, patiently. "I have no idea what I'm looking at. Help, here?"

"Tsk," Sanren muttered. "Myomer. Actuator. Control board."

"Sanren," I said again, "in English? Please? Or at least Chinese. I'm not that fluent in Angry Technician."

Sanren arched an eyebrow, then pointed with two fingers, indicating different bits. "Myomer. Actuator. Control board. These aren't Quickdraw. Re-purposed from Rifleman, you can see where the myomers have been spliced, and the actuator mount improvised. Close, similar sixty-tonners, but not the same. Not original Rifleman, either. Parts are third-party manufacture. Capellan clones, knockoffs."

I blinked. "You sure?"

Sanren didn't reply. He just looked at me.

"Sorry," I acknowledged. "Dumb question. You're sure. The MechWarrior we have in custody, he didn't say anything about Capellan Confederation spares holding his 'Mech together."

A spoonful of mixed foodstuffs came up to Sanren's mouth, and went away empty. This meant that the technician's voice was a bit muffled when he spoke. "Might not know. Pilots don't know what's in their 'Mech. Only care if it's working or not."

Sanren gave me a pointed look, as he said that.

"Fine," I replied. "We know Maximilian Liao's been backing Anton's rebellion, though. This isn't news. Just additional confirmation."

But even as I told him that, Sanren was already shaking his head.

"Checked the serial numbers," Sanren said. "Factory codes."

"You're telling me that the Confederation marked illegally-supplied parts being smuggled across the border?"

"They wiped them," Sanren clarified. "But not completely. Actuator casing still has some numbers. Say… late thirty-fourteen, maybe first quarter thirty-fifteen."

I frowned. "That's new manufacture, then. Accounting for shipping, it means Anton Marik was still getting stuff in from Liao until relatively recently."

Sanren shrugged, noncommittally.

I thought about it. What it meant was that enemy might have better supplies than we'd thought. And if they had spare parts from House Liao, what else might they have?

Well, besides the Wolf's Dragoons. The Dragoons had been hired with Liao money, but Anton had rather helpfully thrown them away. Maybe he'd do us a favour and toss any Capellan supplies, as well. At this stage, we could use the help.

Last edited:
Career Mode 3.10: The Young Soldier
Career Mode 3.10: The Young Soldier

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

-- Wilfred Owen, Dulce et Decorum Est (1920)​

HARLOW DISTRICT, NEW DELOS
4 JUN 3015

Sarita didn't like her callsign.

She knew that was the point. That was the idea.

The holovids always made callsigns sound impressive. But then, holos always made MechWarriors badasses, cool, capable, utterly invincible. Sarita wasn't stupid. She knew reality was different from tri-vids. MechWarriors weren't invulnerable. They were human, and therefore fallible. A pilot might be safer than most soldiers on the modern battlefield, enclosed behind tons of armour and strapped into an ejection seat, but that wasn't the same as being completely unkillable.

Sarita was aware that in many units, rookies didn't get to choose their own callsigns. Everyone wanted something awesome and impressive. So that wasn't what they got.

Back during the training exercises, back on Dalian, Louis Snovell had made some macho bullshit boast about not being troubled by heat in his cockpit. Sarita couldn't be sure on the former, but she sure as hell knew he was lying. His assigned 'Mech equaled her own for laser firepower, but had nowhere near enough heat sinks to deal with it. Sarita knew he had to be roasting in there. Snovell was a chill son of a bitch, she'd give him that, but that didn't mean his veins were filled with sink coolant.

So the officers had yelled at him, made him drink some water.

And after that...

"Wakey wakey, Snowflake," said their lance leader, "ya asleep in there? Wake up."

"I'm awake," answered Snovell, callsign 'Snowflake', after a second or two of silence.

Sarita was mildly surprised that the guy hadn't fought the nickname. He'd just taken it without protest. Maybe he figured that arguing with their superiors wasn't worth the hassle, lest he be stuck with an even worse label. Maybe he just didn't give a fuck. Or enough of a fuck, anyway. he was laid back. Perhaps too laid back.

"Ya realise," said their commander, with obvious sarcasm, "yer wired up to the cockpit monitors, and I can eyeball the vitals from round 'ere? Breathing starts to go, heartbeat slows, I can tell. I'm watching ya."

"I'm just very relaxed," drawled Snowflake.

There was a muffled sound. Like she was coughing or laughing into the microphone. Then the lance leader's voice came back. "Yeah, right."

Strictly speaking, Liz "Gecko" Kowalksi wasn't their lance leader. Because they weren't a lance. The Fighting Tigers were using some kind of fucked up six-unit organisation table, supposedly a ComStar thing.

It didn't make sense to Sarita. Four 'Mechs to a lance was good enough for every other military organisation in the Inner Sphere. But no, ComStar just had to be super special. They needed to reinvent the fucking wheel.

But that call was well above Sarita's level. Erin Larkin wanted six units, so she got six units. The woman was signing the paychecks. It wasn't like anyone could disagree.

In practical terms, it didn't make a huge difference. Just meant that the lance was always deploying with a couple of hovertanks in tow. And the tankers were… alright. At least they didn't laugh at Sarita's callsign, which she was very grateful for.

Not like the damned MechWarriors who had given her the name, in the first place. Fuck them.

"This is extremely boring," said Kenji. Or 'Kanji', to go by his callsign. Sarita thought that was damned unfair. The asshole's handle actually sounded pretty neat, for all it was a joke about his Combine heritage and bad handwriting. "I could use a nap, myself. It would be a better use of time."

"Now, yer cut that out. Guard duty's important," Gecko chastised. "Boring, sure. Not gonna lie, this is shit duty. But someone's gotta do it! What, ya want the bad guys to blow up the DropShips? All our stuff's in there!"

Sarita knew that many of the other lance… no, demi-company, she had to remember the terminology… many of the other demi-company commanders used more formal language over the comms. On paper, they were How demi-company, with Liz Kowalski being How One or How Lead, Sarita herself being How Two, all the way down to the LTV-4 tank crews designated Five and Six.

Sarita would have preferred that. She'd have much preferred to be called How Two, even if it did make her sound like an instruction manual. Sometimes that handle did get used, especially if they were working with other demi-companies.

Unfortunately, within the group… their officer, Gecko Kowalski, was a career mercenary. The Capellan woman had been soldiering as a freelancer for years. She'd been a House soldier, once, but her time as a merc outweighed her time in uniform. That meant Gecko liked callsigns, and used them liberally.

Kanji was speaking again, arguing on the channel. "I accept that. What I don't accept is why we're on the guard rotation again. It seems we draw this task… a disproportionate amount of times."

"So," said Javier Takahashi, the senior NCO among the tank crews, "this not glamorous enough for you, kid? I'm sure we can find a way to spice things up, put a little excitement into your life."

Kanji made an exasperated, wordless, sound, just an irritated rush of breath.

Gecko's voice spoke over Kanji's complaint: "Hey, Smol Grr? Explain to boredom boy why we're pulling standby and patrol?"

Sarita scowled, knowing that nobody could see inside her cockpit, unless they reviewed the recorder footage. Gecko could likely pull up a live video feed, but Sarita didn't think the older woman was in the habit of doing that. Sarita really, really, didn't like that callsign. It was bad enough that she was short and small for her height, they didn't need to rub salt in that gaping bloody wound.

She also didn't like being reminded about her anger management problems. Which was likely why they did it. They didn't want her to forget. It was still very annoying.

It was also very annoying to deal with Gecko's constant questions. The woman was always pushing them, always quizzing and testing. Sarita knew damn well that was on purpose, it was plainly intended as a teaching tool. But it felt a lot like being back in a classroom. Sarita had figured she was done with that phase of her life. Evidently not, it seemed.

Sarita also suspected that Gecko was intentionally calling on her more than the others, especially when the smug know-it-all bitch was fishing for a certain kind of answer. That was flattering in a way, because it meant the higher-ups still had their eye on her.

But it was too obvious. Kowalski may have been a seasoned MechWarrior, but she sure as fuck wasn't subtle. Whenever she asked one of these leading questions, it just cemented her as the teacher's pet in front of the two other rookie MechWarriors in their demi-company. Snowflake and Kanji had already made jokes about it. The guys weren't blind and deaf, they knew what was going on.

Sarita gritted her teeth, clenching her jaw. She couldn't do anything about it, though. The last time she'd complained to Gecko, giving voice to her concerns, the woman had just laughed… and doubled down on the questions.

"In the battalion," Sarita said, then paused. "No, in both battalions... our 'Mechs are best-suited for urban anti-infantry and anti-vehicle ops. We've all got jump jets, and three of us have MGs or flamers."

"Half marks," replied Gecko. "What's the other reason? Snowflake, Kanji? Boys, want ta try?"

Snowflake mumbled something that was nearly inaudible over the comms. Sarita wasn't sure, but she thought it sounded like the word 'no', followed by 'nope', and several other repetitions thereof.

Kanji was more frank, or at least more blatant in his sardonic response. "No idea. But I'm sure you'll tell us all about it."

"Attitude, Kanji. I'm watching ya. Okay, Smol Grr?"

Sarita adjusting her grip on her 'Mech's controls. Her fingers curled and uncurled. She did her best to keep her voice steady, trying to hide her annoyance. She didn't know how successful she was. Maybe not at all. "Three of us are green. Rookies. Newbies. More than any other lance… demi-company. They have higher ratio of vets."

"That's right," Gecko said, exuberantly. "So ya get the light duty, while Auntie Gecko makes sure yer all trained up and not about to get yourselves killed. Because funeral costs are expensive, kiddos, and do ya have any idea how hard it is to clean a cockpit out, when someone goes and dies in there?"

"No," Kanji muttered. "But based on prior experience, I have no doubt you'll tell us."

"Yup," Gecko replied, promptly, "it's not the blood, it's that people shit themselves when they expire."

Kanji groaned. Or maybe that wasn't the right word for it. Sarita wasn't sure. It was something like a moan, but also a long drawn-out hiss.

Sarita sympathised. She actually did. She didn't like that asshole Kenji, Kanji, or whatever he was supposed to be called. He was too proud of his looks and spent longer on his hair than Sarita did on her whole washing-up regimen. She was pretty sure the guy did his nails and shaved his body hair, too, and he didn't even have the excuse of having a vagina to make it all socially necessary.

But they were in this together. That probably meant some amount of solidarity was called for.

Thing was, Sarita knew he was making a mistake. It was a bad idea to show weakness in front of their commanding officer. The woman tended to capitalise on it.

Sarita looked at the screens and instruments in her 'Mech cockpit, seeking something to distract herself from Gecko's voice on the channel.

"Muscles all relax when ya go," Gecko was saying, clearly relishing her grotesque subject matter. "And even if yer got nothing in the belly to shit, might wet yourself, since we do encourage ya to stay hydrated in the cockpit… "

Kanji groaned again. "Subcommander Kowalski, with due respect, this is unnecessary."

"Funny," Gecko mused, "every time I hear someone say 'with due respect', they never really mean it. Odd thing, that."

Sarita frowned. Ignoring the byplay, she squinted at her console. There was something wrong. Definitely something wrong.

"Gecko, ma'am," Sarita began, "I think… "

"Sentry chatter," Gecko said, instantly, going from teasing to brisk and businesslike. "I hear it. That hover isn't slowing down. Sentry freq, everyone."

The Tigers had a couple of barricade lines blocking the main approach to the camp, well before someone could reach the actual main gate or entrance. The outermost ring didn't completely block the roads, and it sounded like a civilian hover vehicle had just zipped past them.

The infantry were firing, but it looked like the small arms weren't doing sufficient damage to stop it, even aiming for the undercarriage and lift gear. According to the chaotic radio reports, it was a hovervan, presumably durable… maybe up-armoured.

"SENTRY TWO," yelled someone over the channel - one of the first-line infantry, it had to be, "SQUAD WEAPONS! STOP THAT VAN!"

"Sentry," snapped Gecko, "How One. Sending three 'Mechs up, yer way."

"Sentry Lead, How One, Sentry One, roger. Sentry Two, you're clear for SRM," said another voice over the frequency.

Even as the radio lines filled up, Sarita heard Gecko's voice again, this time over their priority demi-company channel. "Smol, Flake, Kanji, go! LTVs, stay with me - might need long range, might be a distraction!"

"Wilco!" Sarita acknowledged the command, even as she pushed her throttle and sent her 'Mech forward in a run. The Phoenix Hawk could exceed 97 kilometres per hour in a straight run. It wasn't the fastest 'Mech the Tigers had on-planet, but it was one of the swifter medium-weight BattleMechs.

She heard the other MechWarriors and the tank crews answering Gecko with their own confirmations. But she didn't focus on that, instead devoting some attention to making sure her 'Mech didn't trip or unbalance. The hours of practice had helped, but operating a real BattleMech was still a challenge. A dream come true, yes, and what she'd spent years working towards, but a challenge all the same.

Sarita wasn't about to fuck this up.

On her sensors, and then with her naked eye, she could see the shape of Kanji's Firestarter soaring over the top of some low-rise buildings, the other MechWarrior taking to the air as a shortcut, rather than going the long way around. Sarita had a more direct path straight to the action, though. She kept her 'Mech in a full-throttle run, her cockpit rocking as the Phoenix Hawk sprinted down the road, its feet crunching into the surface.

The road wasn't fully rated for BattleMechs, Sarita noted, absently. It was holding up, but sensors were flagging minor damage to the surface. Which was odd for a planet as wealthy as New Delos. It wasn't proper ferrocrete. Strange.

Not that she really cared about property damage. Her only concern was whether the poor footing might make her 'Mech fall.

The running motion of the 'Mech sent vibrations through Sarita's body. The command couch in her cockpit was designed to absorb some of the shock, but it didn't - and couldn't - provide a smooth ride.

She was coming up on the second defensive ring now, consisting of mobile barricades… well, less mobile now that they were properly weighted down… crewed by the familiar sight of infantry in Tigers uniforms. Which were basically the same simple fatigues and body armour used by the Militia back home, so Sarita was partially sure she wouldn't shoot her own side by accident.

She could also see the hovervan that the radio reports had identified. It wasn't the only vehicle on the road. There wasn't much, but there was other traffic on the main road leading to the Tigers' landing zone and camp. Even in lockdown there were still people trying to get in. One of the vehicles stopped by the second-line barricades looked like some kind of news truck. The journalists had either picked a terrible time or a fantastic one, Sarita wasn't sure which. She didn't really give a fuck either way, really. Not her problem.

But the suspect hovervan, that one was hard to miss, being the only vehicle on the road that was going that fast. Her sensors tagged it as travelling at 154 kilometres per hour and rising, even with obvious damage on its hull.

Sarita brought her own 'Mech's arm up, the right arm, the one which housed the Harmon gamma-ray laser. But she hesitated before firing. She was within range, but…

Enclosed in her cockpit, she couldn't hear the sound of the infantry manpack SRM launching, but from the training exercises Sarita knew it was deafening - it certainly kicked up an almighty amount of dirt and dust behind the soldier who'd taken the shot, letting Sarita spot them at once.

It was clear the missile had hit. The explosion told the story. That much was expected.

What wasn't expected… was the size of the explosion. There wasn't flame or much light, but there was even more dust and concussive force - and Sarita heard this sound, even through her cockpit, if just barely. That wasn't the kind of explosion a single SRM should have made. It wasn't even the kind of explosion expected from a direct hit on a hovervan's engine.

Sarita throttled down as she steadied her Phoenix Hawk. She kept moving forward, but at a slower pace. The bloody hell was that?

"How demi," Gecko said over the channel, her voice grim. Either the woman was a mind-reader, or… more likely, she'd been thinking the same thing as Sarita, but was just better at putting the clues together. "That was a car bomb."

"Shit," blurted Sarita. Then she winced. Not professional, Sarita, not professional.

Nobody called her on the slip, though.

"Sentry Two's not responding," Gecko continued, business-like. "Might be hurt, too close to blast. Shrapnel. Civilian vehicles still on the road, probable casualties there. Camp's sending emergency response. Smol, Kanji, move up to secure area. Be alert for follow-up. Snowflake, keep moving to join them."

"Roger," Sarita replied, trying her best to emulate her commanding officer's icy tone and composure. She didn't know if she liked her CO… the answer to that was likely 'no', because the list of people Sarita liked was very short indeed, and maybe completely nonexistent.

Suddenly, though, she damn well wanted to be like the older MechWarrior, because it sure as hell sounded like Gecko had her shit together. As opposed to Sarita herself. Sarita's shit was all over the place.

Action sequence to be continued tomorrow.

Liz "Gecko" Kowalski is partially based on an older MMO character of mine, but in context the surname also becomes a bit of a shoutout to the new HBS BattleTech game - presumably she's a distant relative of Amir "Dekker" Kowalski.

Last edited:
Poor one out to the sentries. A lesson, even shit duty can get you killed. The only reason that they could respond was the men and women who manned that checkpoint.

Seems that our friendly neighborhood OpFor isn't easing up on the dirty tactics. I wonder if this is enough for the Tigers to warrant some support from their employers...

Poor one out to the sentries. A lesson, even shit duty can get you killed.
Their bad day isn't even over, yet...

I hope that Kowalski doesn't have the same luck as Dekker.
No one can have Dekkers luck.
Kinda. There's a sort of oblique reference to, y'know, poor old injury magnet status, coming up this week.

Seems that our friendly neighborhood OpFor isn't easing up on the dirty tactics. I wonder if this is enough for the Tigers to warrant some support from their employers...
Well, no, no help from Marik regulars until after most of the dust settles, which is meant to justify why Erin makes... possibly some bad decisions, as you'll see.

Just give him a Centurion with an AC/20 like Goon did, that'll fix him right up.

Of course then Behemoth takes an injury every mission...

Career Mode 3.11: The Young Soldier
Career Mode 3.11: The Young Soldier

HARLOW DISTRICT, NEW DELOS
4 JUN 3015

The Phoenix Hawk wasn't the largest BattleMech in existence, but it was fairly tall. That meant Sarita's cockpit was elevated over the scene below, which in turn meant she didn't have that close a view of the injured.

And there were injured on the road, that much was clear. Red was a clear enough colour to identify.

Her cockpit had zoom functions. Sarita could theoretically overlay that over her field of vision. The canopy of the Phoenix Hawk wasn't just simple glass, there was electronic wizardry or some mysterious high-tech trick to project data directly where Sarita could see. She didn't know how that worked. She knew a lot about BattleMechs for a teenager, but even her avid study hadn't given her a full technical education. There were still mysteries.

She knew how to use the zoom function, of course. Even if she didn't know how the cockpit's augmented reality did its work, she knew how to operate it. She just… didn't want to. Not right now.

It wasn't because she was squeamish. No. Sarita was sure she could deal with seeing real injuries, real gore. She was sure. Somewhat sure. A little sure. Maybe. Possibly. Potentially.

But there was no need to… test her nerves. Yes.

"Nothing on sensors," Sarita reported, her eyes looking at much safer destinations, namely the readouts and screens surrounding her in the cockpit. "Radar clean, no thermal sigs, no seismics."

"What are we even looking for," asked Kanji over the squad channel. His Firestarter was stalking around the edge of the scene, moving off the road and nearing one of the abandoned-looking buildings. The arms of his BattleMech pointed at the structures, then the horizon. Sarita knew that Kanji had his weapon safeties disengaged. He didn't sound anxious or freaked out. But he did sound frustrated. "Another car bomb? What?"

"Secure the area," Gecko ordered, tersely. Their commanding officer's voice was still tightly controlled, very different from Sarita and Kanji's own. "Emergency vehicles en route. Could be more hostiles. Could be a distraction. Could be anything. Stay alert, all."

But the only thing Sarita could see on her instruments was the friendly pip of Snovell's 'Mech moving up, labeled on her screen as How Three, or 'Snowflake'.

The other green MechWarrior was also piloting a Firestarter, but one of the less-common K variants, giving it a broadly similar payload to her own Phoenix Hawk. That meant, unlike Kanji's Firestarter, Snowflake's had some long-range punch. Given that Sarita and Kanji were further out, she could see Snowflake keeping his rear towards camp, and front towards the main road's approach, acting as an impromptu back line.

There was more dust being kicked up in the distance. New friendly contacts on Sarita's sensors. Two hover vehicles, one of them the familiar hull of an LTV-4, which Sarita recognised - without needing the aid of her cockpit gear - as Takahashi's vehicle. It was one of the two hovertanks assigned to her squad. The visibility out was poor, but she could recognise the 'nose art' painted on the prow of the tank even at extreme range.

Sarita didn't know why the tank was decorated with a painting of the legendary general Aleksandr Kerensky in a sexy pin-up pose, but she supposed the tank crew deserved some credit for equal representation in their choice of art, instead of using a more traditional female figure. Sarita was, though, pretty sure the historical Kerensky hadn't been that flexible. Sarita didn't think anyone was that flexible, barring extensive cybernetics.

The other vehicle was also familiar, but not for the same reasons. Thankfully not. It was a big blocky heavy APC, of the type which had been manufactured on Dalian for generations. It wasn't a small transport; Sarita had ridden in one of the things during training, and it was more like an armoured bus than anything else. It was a make of APC that had remained largely unchanged over the decades, or maybe centuries.

There were also paint markings on the APC, though these weren't flamboyant scantily-clad figures, but rather the red cross and red crescent that denoted medical vehicles.

The little two-vehicle convoy came to a stop. The side hatch on the APC opened, and Sarita could see medical personnel climbing out, boots hitting the ground.

Then the distinctive shriek of a missile warning sounded in Sarita's cockpit.

The SRM detonated on the APC, splashing damage across its armour. The hull of the vehicle held, though, and someone inside immediately responded by opening fire with the machine guns. The Tigers might have been using the vehicle as a large ambulance, but it still retained its standard armament. That was a decision Sarita fully agreed with, because carrying guns was sort of mandatory, in her opinion.

Sarita tried not think about the fact that a medical team had been in the process of unloading from the APC. From what she could tell, it hadn't been a direct hit on the crew, as the missile had homed in on the APC itself. But being that close to a missile was basically a death sentence for any human being. The older members of the unit had taught Sarita, in great detail, about the expected kill radius from shit like that, what with the concussive force and shrapnel.

Those medics were fucked.

"How Five, medical APC taking hits," said Takahashi. Unnecessarily. Everyone could tell, right? Though it was good to know that the LTV-4 tankers had functioning brains in there. And trigger fingers. "Returning fire!"

Sarita held her own fire, though. She wasn't certain the APC gunner and LTV-4 crew were hitting anything. They could see where the missile had come from, it looked like one of the abandoned buildings near the road, some sort of derelict commercial or mixed-use structure. It was taking a beating from the retaliatory fire, but Sarita couldn't tell if they'd gotten the shooter.

There was still no indication of any enemy on her sensors. If they were infantry - and it seemed like it, with that missile coming from an upper-level window - then men and women on foot were inherently harder for 'Mech sensors to detect, versus vehicles or enemy BattleMechs. A human body was just a tiny coloured speck on IR displays and a small shape on radar. Worse, if they had sneak suits.

Though even if the enemy was stealthed on IR and other emissions, the damn missile launcher should have turned up on the instruments, which meant… what? Sarita didn't know. Maybe the building itself had something in the walls that was fucking with the scans. She wasn't an expert.

Problem was, they didn't know how many missiles the enemy had on tap.

At least one more. Because there was another missile lock screaming, with the directional indicators coming from the other side of the road.

Sarita's threat display did register the bad guys this time - or bad guy singular, a sole infantryman with an SRM launcher, visible through an empty glass-less window frame.

She didn't consider herself a hardware geek, not truly. She wasn't one of those people who pleasured themselves over technical readouts. But she knew her tech, because that was part of being a MechWarrior.

If she was parsing the data correctly, what the enemy was using wasn't the same kind of SRM manpack that the Tigers' own infantry squads carried. The versions used by the Tigers could be reloaded, but the enemy's missile launchers were single-shot and disposable.

That was good to know, but it still didn't tell them how many the enemy had.

What Sarita did do, though, was bound over, her jump jets blasting as they flung her 'Mech closer.

The weapons in a standard Phoenix Hawk were mounted in the 'Mech's arms, which put them in greater risk of being lost in combat, but also allowed for greater precision in tracking and aiming. The combat loadout for a PXH-1 included twin M100 machine guns, one in each forearm. It was these weapons that Sarita used, now, knowing that the guns had the rate of fire to spray down an area, and the .50 calibre rounds would be sufficient to pierce any infantry body armour.

The fact she was reacting nearly on reflex, and that instinct was to kill someone… Sarita tried not to think about that much. She had a job to do.

The road wasn't clear. Further out towards the actual landing zone and camp, there were clear horizons, no cover. But here, closer to the city, there were still signs of human habitation. Most, if not all, were abandoned and disused, both the victims of ordinary real estate cycles and the slowdown in many of the planet's sectors in the past year, since the outbreak of the war. New Delos' war industry towns were probably booming, but Harlow, on balance, clearly hadn't done so well. It was just another port city among dozens of port cities, and it didn't even serve space traffic, but only wet water ships.

The urban decay meant the enemy had plenty of places to hide.

Some of the Tigers had suggested levelling the buildings, just pounding the landscape flat, ensuring better security for their primary camp and DropShip landing area. That idea had been scrapped by the command team, with the reasoning that such extensive involuntary urban renewal would really piss off the locals.

Right now, Sarita's opinion could basically be summed up as:

Fuck the locals.

According to Sarita's tactical displays, Kanji was engaging as well. His flamers and machine guns were going off. Even if he wasn't hitting anything, that exhibition of close-range carnage had to be pants-wetting terrifying to any enemy infantry. Sarita knew the Firestarter was considered a bane of infantry forces across the Inner Sphere.

Personally, Sarita much preferred her own 'Mech, which at least had one good long-range weapon and wasn't incredibly specialised like Kanji's 'Mech. But in this one instance, with the threat coming from people on foot, she was actually grateful for the presence of Kanji's machine. Though she would never, ever, admit that out loud.

Sarita slowed her 'Mech as her sensors registered a kill. It looked like the opposition was using sneak suits of some kind. That's what the Phoenix Hawk's battle computer was confirming, anyway. Sarita didn't need to guess. Sneak suits stopped working when they had bullets through them.

Granted, so did the human body.

Sarita tried not to think about the fact she'd just killed someone, or maybe several someones, if the missile trooper had buddies, or a spotter, or something. She didn't know how infantry units worked.

She didn't know how much a sneak suit cost, either. Though it had to be a lot more than she'd ever seen in her own bank account. It had to be stupidly expensive technology, too expensive to waste on shit like this.

But then, the word from above was that the Tigers were facing some of Anton Marik's personal Ducal forces, and this was Anton Marik's throne world, after all. The traitorous fucker was a Marik, he could probably afford that kind of kit for his people.

At least Anton Marik could afford that kind of kit, once. His planet was currently on fire, and his brother was wrecking his shit. That couldn't be good for Duke Anton's finances.

Personally, Sarita was worried he'd run out of people before running out of money. Surely the other side couldn't keep pulling crap like this, right?

Right?

Last edited:
Sarita didn't know why the tank was decorated with a painting of the legendary general Aleksandr Kerensky in a sexy pin-up pose
The 'why' is absolutely unimportant, Smol Grr. Absolutely. Unimportant.

The question is, what would a true-blue Clanner think of that.

This was a good introspective chapter giving insight both into the conflict at hand, and the people (esp. our friendly neighborhood anger midget) fighting it!

Some of the Tigers had suggested levelling the buildings, just pounding the landscape flat, ensuring better security for their primary camp and DropShip landing area. That idea had been scrapped by the command team, with the reasoning that such extensive involuntary urban renewal would really piss off the locals.

Right now, Sarita's opinion could basically be summed up as:

Fuck the locals.
...yeah, I don't think she's thinking this through. You think the guerilla fighters using the locals as unwitting camo is bad, wait until you see them as willing collaborators.

Sarita didn't know why the tank was decorated with a painting of the legendary general Aleksandr Kerensky in a sexy pin-up pose
The question is, what would a true-blue Clanner think of that.
What's possibility that Natasha Kerensky sees that and decided that it's a good idea?

Clear proof that even Spheroid surats recognize the physical superiority of the Great Father and his blood.
See, canon BattleTech gives us all this sexy official art of Natasha Kerensky, right? So logically...

It's also a bit of characterisation for the LTV-4 tankers. We won't see Takahashi and his crew - gunner, driver, techs - on-camera for a while, but basically these boys and girls would paint a sexy Aleksandr Kerensky on their tank.

...yeah, I don't think she's thinking this through. You think the guerilla fighters using the locals as unwitting camo is bad, wait until you see them as willing collaborators.
So, unless I drastically change my plans, honestly the whole guerrilla thing will never get conclusively resolved on-camera, in this story. If I had infinite word count and this was a different fanfic, maybe I would spin that further. But... long story short, basically we're at the apex of the whole 'this is an awful situation'. Stuff is about to happen, leading to the part's conclusion, and then in sort of... wrap-up for this arc, I'll show the Tigers handing over the city to regular Marik forces. But even at that point, they haven't really solved the guerrilla problem, since, uh, y'know, it's a pain.

Last edited:
Sarita didn't know why the tank was decorated with a painting of the legendary general Aleksandr Kerensky in a sexy pin-up pose, but she supposed the tank crew deserved some credit for equal representation in their choice of art, instead of using a more traditional female figure. Sarita was, though, pretty sure the historical Kerensky hadn't been that flexible. Sarita didn't think anyone was that flexible, barring extensive cybernetics.

Best crew, 10/10 would hire.

Career Mode 3.12: The Young Soldier
Career Mode 3.12: The Young Soldier

CATHAY WILLIAMS, HARLOW, NEW DELOS
4 JUN 3015

"Yo, kid, ya plan on sitting here all day?"

Sarita looked up, turning her head to peer over her shoulder, out the open hatch of the Phoenix Hawk. The 'Mech was powered down, its reactor offline, and all her cockpit controls were dark and silent.

She'd removed her neurohelmet, unplugged the cooling vest connections and medical monitors, and basically done everything else in the shutdown procedure. She'd even undogged the hatch, swinging it open and letting fresh air into the cockpit.

Okay, not so much fresh air, but filtered air. The atmosphere inside the DropShip 'Mech bay was fresh enough, anyway, compared to the smoke-tinged miasma outside.

Sarita hadn't gotten up, though. She was sitting on her command couch - not properly, not quite, just sort of curled up, one leg hooked over the armrests, the other folded. In one hand, she held one of the bulky plastic canteens that had been issued to everyone in the unit, the cap off and dangling by the built-in strap.

She stared at Gecko, not saying anything.

Gecko didn't seem deterred by Sarita's silence. Rather than reading it correctly, as a hint to fuck off, the woman took it as encouragement to carry on.

"I don't recommend trying to live in yer 'Mech," said Gecko. "Seen people try. They get over-attached, they sleep in the cockpit, eat in the cockpit, and let's not get into what they do instead of showering and pissing. Let's just say, if ya want to really annoy your techs, that's what yer do. And, really don't want to annoy the techs, listen to Auntie Gecko."

Sarita knew she couldn't actually tell Gecko to fuck off, since the woman was her direct superior. Her CO. Sarita didn't have the rank to verbally chastise the senior MechWarrior. Even the traditional middle finger was off the table. The only thing Sarita had left in her arsenal was a nasty stare.

Unfortunately, it seemed Gecko was completely immune to nasty stares. Maybe she got a lot of them, so much so that the negative vibes just bounced off her thick skin.

Sarita brought her canteen to her lips, tilting her head back. But the canteen was near empty. She resorted to holding her mouth open, shaking the canteen so the last few drops of water spilled out and into her throat.

"Here," said Gecko, "looks like ya need this a damn sight more than I do."

Sarita blinked at her commanding officer. It took Sarita a heartbeat or two before she realised Gecko was offering her another canteen, already open. Hesitantly, Sarita set her own empty canteen down, screwing the cap back on in the process.

Then she drank.

Initially, Sarita thought Gecko had pranked her. Like the other woman was fucking her over, or something. There was something in the water, or maybe it wasn't water in the canteen. It tasted funny. Then Sarita realised Gecko had used the little packets of powder that had also been issued by the unit, some kind of electrolyte and sugar mix. The stuff wasn't to Sarita's taste, because it didn't taste like anything even remotely found in nature.

But she was thirsty, and so she gulped it down without protest.

"Thanks," Sarita said, grudgingly.

"Forget it," Gecko replied. "No big deal. I gotta make sure everyone's in good functioning order, comes with the fancy officer's stripes."

Sarita grunted.

Gecko smiled. "But I'm thinking, MechWarrior Sarita isn't just messed up here… "

The older pilot tapped her neck with two fingers, in the hollow of her throat.

"But up here." Gecko pointed to her own forehead. "Unless ya do the thinking with some other part of the body, in which case, that analogy doesn't work, but I don't wanna know."

Sarita kept staring at Gecko. Sarita didn't know if it was possible to intensify the level of visible irritation in a stare. Maybe that needed more advanced body language. But she gave it her best try.

Gecko wasn't put off by it. Not even in the slightest. She just grinned even more. "The proper thing a counsellor's supposed to do, talking to people about problems? Supposed to listen. Let 'em talk. But I don't think ya wanna talk, do ya kid?"

"No," said Sarita, sharply.

It didn't work. Gecko didn't leave. Hell, worse, she sat down, sinking cross-legged to the embarkation platform resting against the Phoenix Hawk's entry hatch.

"Gecko" Kowalski was somewhere in that indeterminate valley between her 30s and 40s. Her exposed skin - and there was a lot of exposed skin, since most pilots dressed light to deal with the high temperatures inside a BattleMech - was scarred in lots of places. Her arms, legs, and belly had sections of rough pink tissue, with patches creeping up her neck and face.

Sarita found it intimidating and impressive, all at once.

Gecko ran her fingers through her short hair. It was a simple, functional cut. A lot of the unit's pilots had hair roughly like that, given the need to wear neurohelmets. People had their own way of personalising their look, though. In Gecko's case, her hair was dyed a lurid teal, bright under the lights of the DropShip 'Mech bay.

"That was serious action," Gecko said, ignoring Sarita's refusal to talk. "First time using those weapons for real, hm?"

Sarita felt sick. Kind of. There was something tight and constricted in her gut and chest. But she forced that down, tried to keep it from showing. She wasn't some kind of shrinking violet, she wasn't soft. She was better than that. "I'm fine."

The statement didn't dissuade Gecko. The woman kept speaking. "Problem with piloting 'Mechs, easy to forget we're shooting at real people out there. Today… no way to hide it. Fighting infantry's always bad, that way."

Sarita looked away, breaking eye contact with Gecko, turning to face the darkened controls and readouts on the inside of her 'Mech.

"I'll tell ya what my own lance lead told me, when I was a baby MechWarrior," Gecko continued. "Out there, it's life or death. Gotta kill 'em, before they kill ya. Which means, ya need to want to kill."

"Statistically," Sarita said, slowly, "'Mech to 'Mech combat usually isn't fatal."

The older woman laughed. It wasn't a mocking laugh, more of a bitter one. "Yeah. Sure. If it's fighting another 'Mech. Wasn't like that today, was it? Even then, a pilot's relatively safe, sealed up inside a 'Mech. But not invincible. See this pretty face?"

Sarita looked at Gecko, and tried not to flinch. Her scars meant… the damage meant that Gecko had lived through one hell of a cockpit hit, maybe more. Sarita hadn't asked. Sarita wasn't scared of much, but this… she was a little bit afraid to know.

Gecko nodded. "So there's people out there, trying to kill ya. They will, make no mistake. So ya gotta get 'em first. That's the job."

"I know that," Sarita insisted. "I'm not stupid."

"Didn't say so," Gecko responded, evenly. She was still seated cross-legged on the gantry outside the cockpit, still radiating an aura of calm. It was like she was some kind of martial female bodhisattva. "But today, kid? MechWarrior Sarita killed someone. No way around that. Could try to sugarcoat that. I could say, we're fighting an illegal rebellion… whatever. But for many of the troops we're dealing with, chances are this is their homeworld."

Sarita closed her eyes. She drew in a breath, held it for a moment, then exhaled. "You trying to make me feel bad?"

"Don't need to. I see ya kicking yerself over this, no intervention necessary," Gecko said. "See, that's the problem. We're told violence is bad, that killing is bad, we shouldn't shoot people in the face. But we live in a world where we clearly need to."

That wasn't wrong, Sarita knew. But at the same time, it wasn't fully correct, was it? She opened her eyes, fixing her commanding officer with a questioning look. "MechWarriors are heroes. Soldiers are heroes."

Gecko shrugs. "In most of the Sphere? Sure. Even then, there's some that disagree. Talk to Celeste sometime, she's from the Outworlds, they have a different take. But even round here, there's conflicting ideas. The bit that says killing is wrong, the bit that glorifies it. They're both part of our culture. Makes no damn sense, but there ya go. Ya religious, kid?"

Sarita made a face. "Not... really? My parents are. Xintheravada."

Gecko considered that. "Sian Commonality Buddhist?"

Sarita nodded. She wasn't surprised Gecko recognised it. The woman was from the other side of the Marik-Liao border. Her pronunciation was probably better than Sarita's.

"Okay," said Gecko. "Unless yer from some death cult, most religions say killing is bad. Murder's wrong, we shouldn't do that. Except then we get to all the wars, all the killing that's taken place across history, in the name of religion. Because that's humanity for ya."

Sarita took another drink from the canteen, letting the liquid flow down her throat, while ignoring the taste. Then she twisted the cap back on, handing it back to Gecko. "People are fucked up, you mean."

"It's something philosophers, thinkers, have been struggling with for centuries," Gecko said, as she accepted the canteen. "No easy answers."

"This is a lousy pep talk," Sarita complained.

"I'm not giving a pep talk," Gecko stated. "Just telling ya something all mercs need to deal with, eventually. Ya got a bad deal here, had to learn it early, and in a pretty shit way. A lot of the time, it doesn't need to come down to lethal force. Fighting ain't the same as killing. What ya want is for the enemy to surrender, to put down their weapons, to give up. Sun Tzu."

"You just said being a merc is about life and death," Sarita pointed out.

"Because sometimes, yes, it is. Sometimes they ain't gonna surrender. Like these poor bastards here. They're not gonna back off, they're so damn fanatical. So, yeah. We fight. We kill. No easy answer."

Sarita wanted to challenge the older MechWarrior, to find some fault in what the woman was saying. But she couldn't, somehow. Either she didn't have the words, or she simply didn't have the energy. Sarita slumped in the 'Mech's command couch, hanging her head.

"Come on, let's get out of here," Gecko said, gently. "Get some proper rest, kid."

Last edited:
That was well done. Good reminder that war isn't all glory, and being a MechWarrior isn't all fun and games. People get hurt. People die. People kill. It's the nature of warfare, and I suspect we will be struggling with that just as much in the real 31st Century as in this fictional one.

Casting Call (Part 3 and 4)
So... at the risk of derailing conversation on my own story updates. :)

In upcoming posts and the next story arc following the New Delos campaign, I've realised there's lots of minor character slots to populate in my story outline, or at least places I can do cameo name-drop in passing... while I don't like to carelessly introduce named characters, if I'm writing a segment from the perspective of Enemy Commander X, or Canon Character Y, it makes sense for them to refer to their own unit members by name, in dialogue. Or sometimes for convenience's sake I do need to name people, rather than just having faceless hordes.

As such, I'll like to throw out a casting call for anyone that wants a minor shoutout or cameo, or to see a character of theirs appear in a minor role. There are some caveats:
  • I might, or might not, use anything you post here, and I reserve the right to tweak anything offered to fit. No promises. Please don't yell at me for gross misrepresentation or something.
  • Your character may die horribly. Or not. No promises.
  • At the bare minimum I'll need a name to use. If you want to provide any other info like brief characterisation, speech patterns, etc. I may take that into account, or not, see point #1.
  • Named minor character slots are for MechWarriors, Tankers, fighter pilots, infantry or others in:
    • 18th Marik Militia (Anton Marik's Rebels - MechWarriors/Tankers/Spacers only)
    • 2nd Regulan Hussars (Janos Marik's Loyalists - Infantry and Command/HQ only)
    • Unnamed mercenary company (Janos Marik's loyalists, on the Marik-Steiner border)
    • Stewart Dragoons (Janos Marik's Loyalists - probably the Juggernaut regiment, but could be another regiment)
    • 2nd Donagal Guards (House Steiner)
    • 13th Donagal Guards (House Steiner)
    • Wolf's Dragoons (Come on, I don't need to Sarna link this, do I?)
  • Named minor slots are also available for:
    • ROM (ComStar's intelligence agency - spies/agents)
    • EDIT: Possibly civilians on Erin's homeworld of Dalian
If you really want, you can also be a frothing-at-the-mouth antagonist New Delos citizen... this weekend, one slot only, first come, first serve, if not I'll random-gen a name.

I might also use names/suggestions for roles that aren't included, above, as I'm not all that organised and things change.

Last edited:
That was well done. Good reminder that war isn't all glory, and being a MechWarrior isn't all fun and games. People get hurt. People die. People kill. It's the nature of warfare, and I suspect we will be struggling with that just as much in the real 31st Century as in this fictional one.

Honestly, there's only 4 reasons I can think of for why Humanity would ever not need to worry about kill and be killed being a part of warfare at any point in the future.

A) Humanity's no longer around to worry about it. In which case I hope we had a hell of a send off party, or lived a very long and mostly happy life as a species.
B) AIs and robotics have advanced so far that using humans as soldiers is completely useless. And even then there's probably non-combatant casualties. Well, that or people have cracked uploads, but you can't have a 'copy' of yourself made, in which case you'd probably see soldiers being the AIs on the drones, and dying permanently if the computer running their mind is destroyed.
C) Near-total Immortality of some form is cracked. Simplest form is probably uploads that allow you to make copies, so even if you die, you can get resurrected. Even if you die and your cortical stack or whatever gets destroyed, an older copy can be awoken. There's other methods, and this is also one of the weirder ways philosophically, but I'll leave it there. I mean, people would still get killed, or rendered non-functional for the moment, depending on the method of immortality, but no one should suffer a total death... Beyond personal choice or something really ducked up and unlucky happening.
D) Someone's done some really extensive brainwashing, mind wiping and biological reprogramming, such that humanity no longer has war. Because honestly, that's the only way I see for it to be entirely abolished. Even if humanity goes interstellar and no work around around the light speed barrier happens, then you'd still have wars. Admittedly, unlikely to be inter-system wars, but intra-system and civil war would still happen.

Last edited:
Back