I didn't know that about Captain Nemo, but nevertheless I think I'll keep him as the Prince of Dakkar.

-We get our blue/green scantily-clad space babes! I'm sure that Venusian matriarchy is just as oppressive as Terrestrial patriarchy and devastatingly deconstructs male fantasies about the trope.

Hey, who said anything about male fantasies? :p

More seriously, I haven't quite decided since it depends on the story and the POV character - for all I know I'll end up writing about a swashbuckling lesbian space explorer rescuing a Venusian princess from the clutches of a sorceress-queen. While riding a dinosaur.

Or, maybe not. There are lots of tales to tell!

Side note: Venus has surface gravity roughly 90% as strong as Earth's. That's not nearly as blatant a "heavy worlder" thing as Earthlings would have going on on Mars, but it's subtly noticeable.

Side note: Venus has surface gravity roughly 90% as strong as Earth's. That's not nearly as blatant a "heavy worlder" thing as Earthlings would have going on on Mars, but it's subtly noticeable.

In the sort of hard sci-fi I've read habitable versions of Venus usually have really big creatures capable of flight for that reason.

In the sort of hard sci-fi I've read habitable versions of Venus usually have really big creatures capable of flight for that reason.
This can also be attributed to:

1) Higher oxygen content in the atmosphere (compensated by higher water vapor content to reduce fire risks) making higher metabolisms more sustainable.

2) Higher overall levels of solar energy turbocharging the planet's ecological cycles (water cycle, carbon cycle, photosynthesis, etc.) making higher-calorie foods more available and making it easier for fliers to survive.

3) Lots of thermal currents in the atmosphere (see (2)) making big efficient gliding fliers more tenable.

Secrets of the Ice I
SECRETS OF THE ICE

A WORLD OF PULP TALE

The Antarctic wind howled around the buildings of Mirny Station. A team of sled dogs huddled together beneath an awning made of corrugated steel, occasionally rising to snap at one another as they fought to get under shelter, to find the place furthest from the biting wind. Those on the outside had their fur frosted with white, powdery snow, and drifts were beginning to pile up around the walls of the station's single building.

Within the insulated walls were three rooms. In the long common room, bunks, chests, and a camp stove were crowded together; off to the left side was the room with the scientific equipment, while off to the right was the Commander's quarters, one of the few perks afforded to his command.

Three men sat on camp stools around a chest being used as a makeshift table, drinking and playing cards. Mikhail Mikhailovich Vladimirov swore and threw down his hand.

"I fold," he said in disgust. He pulled a swig from the shared bottle of vodka and jogged the elbow of the man next to him. "Here, drink up, my Jewish friend."

Lev Godowsky, the Expedition's doctor, gave Mikhail a suspicious look, but accepted the bottle. He was a purely secular Jew, and his family had assimilated well into the general Soviet culture despite their Polish extraction. They were considered a well-respected family of the USSR's technical class, and yet all his life the people around him had never quite allowed Leon to forget that he was Jewish.

The third man, Deputy Kazimir Tsiolkovsky, twitched his moustache and looked up from his cards.

"It's alright, Lev, he's trying to lighten the mood," Kazimir said. He was the other Polish member of the team.

"Lighten? Lighten?" asked Leon, "I'm perfectly at ease."

Kazimir smiled inwardly as he noted the corner of Leon's mouth curling into a sneer. The Polish Jew was, unfortunately, terrible at bluffing, and that was why Kazimir was about to clean him out.

"I'm talking about him," the Polish man said, nodding at Mikhail, who seemed to be pretending to ignore the conversation but may have actually been distracted as he nursed the bottle of vodka.

Kazimir raised, pushing a small pile of rocks into the center of the playing area. Since they naturally didn't have much cash on hand in an expedition into Antarctica, they were using the geological samples as chips. Also, they would be playing for bragging rights, which Kazimir intended to use.

Leon's fingers twitched as he checked his cards, and Kazimir smiled inwardly again. He knew the other men – how could he not, after three weeks in close quarters? It was like reading a pair of open books.

Leon snorted in disgust and threw his cards down.

"I fold. Kazimir wins again."

Kazimir allowed himself a chuckle and collected the pebbles as Mikhail rolled his eyes and marked a tally in the logbook.

"My friends, you have to learn how to lie," Kazimir said.

"Only if you want to win at silly card games," said an authoritative voice. The three men stood up suddenly, Mikhail knocking over his camp chair in his hurry. The Expedition's Commander, Vladimir Afanasyevich Dralkin, had emerged from the room with the scientific equipment, papers in hand.

"Apologies, comrade!" Kazimir said, "It's just with the storm we can't exactly-"

Vladimir frowned and waved his papers.

"Just because there's a storm doesn't mean we aren't still a research expedition. I have the latest readings from the meteorological instruments here with me. What have you been doing?"

The three men were silent. They knew it was a rhetorical question. Vladimir sighed.

"Kazimir, I want you in my quarters. You other two, put those samples back and feed the dogs."

"Yes, comrade," muttered Kazimir, as the Commander walked past them and into his quarters.

"Mikhailovich, since you folded first, you feed the dogs," Lev said. The Russian put down the bottle of vodka and got to his feet.

"Fine, fine, but don't say I never did anything for you."

After Mikhail left, Kazimir stood up and cocked an eyebrow at Lev.

"I don't think he actually has a problem with you. He's just trying to let you know he doesn't care, which of course means he does care but knows he shouldn't."

"Right, that makes me feel better," the doctor said, rolling his eyes as he collected his things.

"Hey, I don't expect anyone to get along when they're trapped together in Antarctica, but he is trying."

"He's trying me," Lev snapped, but he threw up his hands, "Alright, so he's only an idiot. If I thought he was worse than that I'd have hit him already."

"Hey, we're all good Soviet men here, aren't we, comrade?" Kazimir said before following the Commander into the other room.

Commander Vladimir Dralkin sat in a camp chair and began filing the weather reports. He looked over at Kazimir coolly.

"Is something bothering you, comrade?"

"I am…worried about the goal of our mission, Commander."

"You mean the ruins. What could bother you about a few tumbled, weathered stones, Kazimir?"

"It's just that the Miskatonic Report-"

Vladimir Dralkin held up his hand.

"I am familiar with the Miskatonic Report," he said sternly, "I am also familiar with the fact that one of the scientists who came back from that expedition was raving mad, and the other was not in much better shape.

Previous Soviet Antarctic Expeditions have independently verified many facts about the 'Last Continent' as some with a more poetic mind have called it, and the existence of these ruins is no different. No expedition has uncovered evidence of exotic lifeforms here, and I do not expect the 5th​ Soviet Antarctic Expedition will be any different."

"Yes, but I have read it, and some of the phenomena seem strangely likely. The anatomy of these aliens, the Elder Race, the descriptions are simply too detailed and coherent to be discounted entirely."

Vladimir Dralkin was not a superstitious man. The immortal science of Marxist-Leninism had superseded such a worldview; religion was an antiquated concept, condemned to wither away under the communist society the USSR was building. As for magic, he was well aware of certain studies made by the Institute of Brain Research. Psychic powers were a scientific phenomenon, easily studied and controlled under laboratory conditions, all the better for such "Exotic Science" to be harnessed for the greater good of the worker's state.

He rubbed his moustache thoughtfully and nodded.

"Yes, perhaps the Miskatonic Expedition did unearth some specimens of a previously unknown life-form, ones which regrettably did not survive, but these reports of shoggoths-"

He was cut off suddenly by the door of the station slamming open, accompanied by Mikhail's voice.

"Commander! Commander, there's something out there!"

Vladimir and Kazimir exchanged looks – Vladimir's suspicious, Kazimir's rather pointed, and both stood to their feet and opened the door to the common room.

Mikhail had shut the door behind him and was speaking to Lev.

"I saw it! In the snow! It looked like a man, but-"

He froze when he saw Vladimir and Kazimir enter, and threw the Commander a salute.

"Comrade! State what it is you think you saw," Vladimir snapped. He was a skeptical man, and mirages in the Antarctic conditions were not unknown.

"Commander, I had gone outside to feed the dogs, on your orders. I had just finished doing so when I looked out into the snow and saw a shape. It looked to be about man-sized, a silhouette more than anything, if you take my meaning. The snow was still coming down in flurries so it's impossible to say, Commander."

"He's drunk," said Lev, and Mikhail rubbed a hand across his mouth.

"No," said Vladimir quietly, "I think he saw something. I am not certain it was a man, but the facts will out. Gentlemen, get suited up. We're going out there."

The dogs had found tracks. They were half-covered in snow, but the flurries had stopped entirely by the time the Expedition had gotten outside, and the shallow depressions in the snow, half-smoothed by the snowfall, led off in one direction.

Vladimir Dralkin ordered the men to set off on foot, taking two dogs with them, and they followed them as they snuffled around for the scent.

"Impossible to tell what they are, Commander," grunted Kazimir as he wrestled with the dogs' leads.

"I think they are penguin," said Lev.

"Such a pessimist," said Vladimir quietly, voice muffled by his scarf, "Have you noticed the tracks are too widely spaced? No, I think we have found a man."

It wasn't long before they came upon the graves.

A massive pit had been dug in the pack ice, at least thirty feet wide on each side and ten feet deep. Piles of snow, some of it still compacted, lay scattered around, with a fresh dusting of powder layered over everything, showing that the digging was recent, perhaps less than a day. A ramp of sorts led down into the pit, and the level bottom of the working had six additional holes in it, fairly shallow. Each was about five feet long and roughly human-sized. They resembled nothing so much as open graves.

The dogs refused to go anywhere near it.

"Come on, you dogs," Kazimir cursed, and he aimed a kick at one of the dogs, but it snapped its jaws at his boot rather than go closer to the edge.

"Leave them," Vladimir commanded, and while Kazimir kept a hold of their leashes, he also edged closer to the pit, hoping to get a look inside.

Vladimir was first to move, walking down the ramp into the pit. The sides and bottom were made of compacted snow, the sort that made up most of the landscape in this part of Antarctica.

"They must have been digging for quite some time," he mused. Mikhail and Lev followed him, looking at the graves with trepidation.

"What do you think they were digging for?" Mikhail asked.

Vladimir recalled the Miskatonic Report.

"I can think of some things," he said to himself.

"What other groups could be digging here?" Mikhail asked.

"American, British, French…perhaps the Chinese?" Lev mused. Vladimir was looking at the graves thoughtfully when they heard Kazimir whistle.

"Commander! The dogs found something!"

The men rushed back to the surface and found where Kazimir was standing with the dogs over some sort of furrow in the ground.

"Tracks," Mikhail said with a glance, "Runners, I mean, from a sled. Several of them…"

Vladimir's gaze followed the tracks until they were lost in the distance, but he kept looking until his eyes met the horizon…and the mountain range that dominated them.

He looked at Kazimir.

"I think it's time to activate the contingency," he said, "Better get your keys."

To be continued!

Last edited:
Secrets of the Ice II
Back at the station, Kazimir Tsiolkovsky and Vladimir Dralkin both produced keys. Vladimir pulled out a chest with two keyholes, and the two of them turned their keys in concert to unlock it. The Expedition's Commander began to produce rifles, pistols, and finally a belt of grenades.

"I don't need to tell you how to use these," Vladimir said as he handed the weapons out, "You were all chosen with this contingency in mind, you've all done military service."

The other men nodded as they accepted the weapons, slinging the rifles over their backs. Vladimir and Kazimir each claimed the pistol which they buckled around their waists, and handed the belt of grenades to Mikhail.

"Right," Kazimir began, "It seems likely that another Antarctic Expedition is here, and they've made a major discovery."

"Maybe they'll be happy to see us, and we'll all share in the discovery and have some hot coffee," Lev said ironically, earning a few dry chuckles.

"We can hope," Kazimir said, "But in the event that they are hostile, you will follow Vladimir's orders, then my orders. If either or both of us are killed or incapacitated, act on your own initiative, but remember that your priorities are the preservation of this station and its contents. Thus, if events go against us, the most likely course will be to retreat here and hole up until the next ship arrives in..."

"Two weeks," Vladimir said as he checked his pistol. He looked at the men grimly; Lev Godowsky was nervously checking his medical supplies, Mikhail was trying to look serious, Kazimir was a blank slate as always.

"We're ready, Commander," Kazimir said as he fastened a pair of goggles over his eyes and put up his hood.

"Good," said Vladimir, "Get the sleds ready."

Two sleds tore across the pack ice, each pulled by a team of dogs. The day was cloudless, the sun piercingly bright for such a time of year; it had not set for months, and it would not do so again for several more. The light reflected off the pack ice stung the eyes and burned the skin, so the men were wrapped up in hoods, scarves, and goggles.

Vladimir and Lev took one sled, while Kazimir and Mikhail took the other; this was only possible because they were traveling light, with the intent to return to the base within twelve hours.

The mountains had a shallow pass in them, a sort of saddle between two peaks, but while it appeared smooth from the base the area was in fact full of cliffs, steep inclines, and tumbled regions of soft snow, prone to avalanches. Ravines appeared suddenly in the ice to swallow up the unwary. Thrice the Expedition had to stop and maneuver the sleds and dogs around these areas of rough terrain, navigating their way up a switchback path to the top of the pass. However, after four hours the four men could stand on a ridge of ice and look down at the City.

These was no other name for it, for it was the only archaeological site of its kind on the entire continent. It was much as described in the Miskatonic Report; towers, sometimes connected by covered bridges, stood half-buried in the ice, with the majority of the site actually hidden belowground. What kind of superdense rock the theoretical Elder Race had used in their construction was able to resist erosion from wind and crawling glaciers for millions of years, few could say with certainty, though samples had indicated they were formed from slate, schist, and sandstone.

Two other Soviet Expeditions had trod this ground before, measuring, taking photographs and collecting samples, but thus far no specimens living or dead of the "Elder Race" or of any other lifeforms had been uncovered. Among the Soviets, at least, musings and theories about Hyperborea, the Pnakotic Manuscripts, or the Cthulhu Cult were scoffed at, but none of the men standing there could avoid the thought that something ancient, ineffable, and powerful had raised a city here, at the bottom of the world.

The City, which extended to the mountains around it, consisted mostly of towers, terraces, and collections of cubes, with the few intact roofs either conical or pyramidal in shape. Other constructions were angled, resembling the star forts of the European Gunpowder Age. Everywhere, the black rectangular holes of empty windows stared down, like pitted alien eyes.

"Any sign of tracks?" Vladimir asked. Kazimir descended the slope a few hundred meters to search the slope, while Lev scanned the City with a pair of binoculars. The two previous Antarctic Expeditions had mapped what appeared to be public spaces and fortifications, as well as some of the City's general layout, but the map was as yet fairly spotty. They would have to navigate by ear, so to speak.

"I see something!" Kazimir called, and Lev scanned the area around the Deputy with his binoculars, before raising them to inspect the City again.

"I see it too!" added the doctor, lowering his binoculars.

The two men had spotted a star-shaped plaza that had been cleared of snow, seemingly by the passage of many people. Upon arriving at the space some twenty minutes later, this proved correct. There were no dog tracks, but there were many booted feet and the runners of sleds, so evidently there had been many people here. The plateau that sheltered the City meant that even here little snowfall occurred, and the concealment of the city was purely through glacial creep; thus, there was no way to be certain how fresh the prints were. At the same time, it was logical to assume they were linked to the recent discoveries.

"What are the possibilities, Deputy?" Vladimir asked. Kazimir looked around the plaza as Lev herded the dogs into a sheltered alcove.

"Another expedition is exploring these ruins," he said quietly, "Perhaps taking their samples with them."

"Strange," said Vladimir, "I would have returned the samples to base before sending another expedition."

"Perhaps the ruins were closer to the grave site than their base camp?" Kazimir suggested, but he didn't seem convinced. The quietness with which both of them were talking was proof enough that they did not want to attract the attention of these strange explorers.

Mikhail stood in the mouth of the largest portal opening onto the plaza. It was like a pit, smooth black stone stretching on until, at the other end, he saw faint light. He stepped into the passageway, but instinctively looked back when he felt the commander's eyes on him.

"What have you found?"

"Commander. There appears to be a light at the end. Perhaps the tunnel opens again onto some other part of the city?"

Vladimir's eyes scanned the buildings in line with the tunnel. He smiled as he saw a topless tower overlooking the plaza.

"It would be that tower, I presume. Well done, Mikhail." He whistled sharply to get the men's attention. "Gentlemen, Mikhail here appears to have found something. Perhaps it will lead us to our mysterious fellow explorers. But I want to do this cautiously. Kazimir, take Mikhail down this passage. Lev and I shall go over the top there and see if we can find another entrance."

The men nodded and checked their weapons before splitting off. Kazimir walked in front with Mikhail behind him.

Mikhail paused to observe the murals on the walls. Bas reliefs, they depicted strange creatures building a city, some accompanied by a strange amorphous figure. Mikhail saw a five-pointed star appear again and again…

"Did you see something?" asked Kazimir from up ahead.

Mikhail spun around.

"No, what was it?"

"I thought I saw another person cross the hallway there," Kazimir said under his breath.

Mikhail walked forward slowly, wondering if that was another member of the Expedition. But if so, then why was Mikhail so hesitant to call out to them? On some level, he knew – this was an enemy.

He thought he heard a shuffling noise behind him, but when he looked back, he only saw the dogs having another scuffle to get warm. He turned and continued.

Side passages opened up on either side of the two men. Mikhail momentarily forgot the strange figure, and thought about what a maze this city was on the inside. These tunnels could lead anywhere and everywhere, the tower the other members of the team were making for was only-

Something else moved in the dark with him. A heavy object slammed into him from behind. He fumbled for his rifle, but it was already being torn away from him. Mikhail was shoved against the wall, then dragged to the ground, a heavy bulk resting on his back and pinning his arms behind him. Kazimir yelled and turned to help him, but Mikhail heard a crack and saw Kazimir drop to the ground next to him.

"I have you now, stinking Jew," hissed a voice in thickly-accented Russian, accompanied by a puff of sour breath. A pair of black boots appeared in Mikhail's vision, accompanied by a second voice.

"Now, now. We do not know he is a Jew." Mikhail's vision was blurred, but he saw black winter clothes, a cap bearing some sort of badge…and a red armband with a black swastika. "Although he is certainly is a communist, which is just as bad," the man said, and kicked Mikhail in the face.

Vladimir Dralkin looked through the doorway and nodded. The tower had several entrances, one of which seemed to be the tunnel which led back to the plaza. Inside, the tower was an open pit, a smooth ramp spiraling around the outside the only means of passage downwards. Vladimir stepped through the doorway onto the ramp, Lev behind him. The doctor leaned out over the edge and whistled.

"How deep do you think that goes?"

"Quite deep," Vladimir mused, "The Miskatonic Report said there are tunnels, and caverns below that. Come, we should call for the others."

"No need! They are right here," said another voice, and out of the passageway stepped a group of men in uniform winter clothing. They all had matching armbands bearing a swastika, the symbol of the defunct German National Socialist Party. They had a desperate look about them, they were armed, and two each were supporting the limp forms of Mikhail Vladimirovich Vladimirov and Kazimir Tsiolkovsky, with revolvers pressed against their heads.

"Fuck!" said Lev. The fascists each trained their guns on one of the Soviets, and Vladimir looked hatefully at the enemy commander. He slowly raised his hands.

"I'm glad you understand your situation," the Nazi commander said, "Now, please cooperate further and allow us to divest you of your weapons. Be happy! Soon all your questions shall be answered."

Mikhail regained his senses in a strange room lit by harsh electric lights. The walls were the same stone as the rest of the City, but he saw modern machines, tables, and chairs.

The other members of the team were sitting on chairs as well, their hands tied behind their backs. Some of them looked worse for wear – Vladimir, sitting to Mikhail's right, had a bruise spreading across the side of his face. The Commander caught Mikhail looking at him.

"You look worse," Vladimir said under his breath. Mikhail smiled despite himself, only to wince.

"Apologies, Commander, I'm afraid we've been captured."

"You are forgiven, comrade. They caught all of us unawares. I wouldn't have let them shoot you, anyways."

"Enough talking!" barked one of the Nazis as he entered, his own officer close behind him and half a dozen more. The five Soviets went quiet as they came under the cruel gaze of the Nazi commander. Vladimir kept his gaze defiantly fixed on the enemy; Mikhail merely kept his head hung in shame. Lev was nursing a broken tooth with his tongue, but watched the enemy closely. Kazimir was a blank slate as ever.

The Nazis had been a German fascists movement. During the German Civil War, they had murdered Jews, communists, and homosexuals, and despite their defeat a number of their leaders, scientists, and occultists had crawled off to hatch their plots in the dark corners of the world.

"Any of you speak German?" the officer asked, in Russian.

"I do," said Vladimir coldly, in German. He would be an example for his men.

"Ah," the Nazi said, a smile spreading across his face, "The commander. We shall be having a…special chat. Bring him."

He motioned to his inferiors, who removed Vladimir from the chair and dragged him to the side. The Nazi commander turned to the rest of them.

"Now…which of you is the Jew?" he said again, in Russian.

"I…I am."

The five Soviets turned to look at Mikhail, who had his eyes locked on the Nazi officer, challenging him.

"Fuck you," Lev said, spitting out a gobbet of blood and saliva on the ground, "I am."

"You are both such bad liars," Kazimir said under his breath, "I'm the Jew, you fascist dog."

"How touching," the officer mused, "No matter, we at least have a volunteer. Take this one to the doctor."

Two other men grabbed Kazimir and hauled him away. The Nazi officer gave one last bemused look at the pair of remaining Soviets before giving a quick order to one of his soldiers to stay and guard them. Then, he left, slamming the heavy steel door behind him. Bolts locked into place.

The Soviets were alive, and prisoners of a cell of Nazi die-hards at the bottom of the world.

To be continued!

I'm honestly surprised the Nazis haven't adapted to their sorry exile and embedded the selves in like the British Raj and South America and any place that had European colonies/concessions really as basically Jacobite soldiers of fortune selling their pulpy Nazi wunderwaffen and veteran stormtroopers to whatever reactionary cause has the money. Like the Whermacht in the French Foreign Legion during Vietnam expanded out into the general wave of mercenary work in bush wars and violent rightwing crackdowns. The elite of the elite in the general grab bag of Ottoman bandit spahis, White Russian cossacks, Columbian junta guards, Italian mobsters, and French corsairs.

Secrets of the Ice III
Vladimir and Kazimir were hustled along through stone corridors divided by steel doors. Some of them had wires running along their ceilings, others had metal pipes intersecting them at strange intervals. The air was warm and the pipes were thick with condensation.

"Pleasant, isn't it?" the Nazi officer mused as he stalked along next to them, "There is a geothermal vent beneath this part of the city. Steam power is behind everything you see. We have no shortage of energy or water."

As they passed a room full of plants growing beneath bright electric lights in containers of water, Vladimir noted that they would not be lacking for much of anything, though he wondered what meat they ate.

The Nazis paused outside a door much like any other. The officer began giving orders, and the men opened the door and began to hustle Kazimir through it.

"Escape at the first opportunity," Vladimir said under his breath – in Polish, which was purely a gamble, as he could only guess that the Nazis would not speak it.

"Return to the others?" Kazimir asked.

"I shall do the same."

"Silence!" the Nazi officer said, dealing Vladimir a punch to the gut, "I don't know what you Judeobolshevik rats are planning but you will not escape this place."

He paused to compose himself, adjust his uniform. He waved at his inferiors again and they took Kazimir into the room.

Kazimir's shoulders and arms were aching. Hands bound behind his back, he had stumbled more than once on the way through the tunnels, but he had kept his wits. He was a good observer, and knew every turn that would take them back to the surface.

He knew his captors as well. Petty men, given to casual brutality towards those beneath him and instinctive fear of their superior, a man brimming with barely-contained rage kept hidden under a layer of ego.

Now Kazimir took a close look at the room he had been hauled into.

"Fuck my mother."

Cylindrical glass tanks lined the walls; some of them were empty, but others contained hideous alien creatures floating in what Kazimir believed were preservative solutions. He did not understand what he was seeing, but the creatures exactly matched the ones described in the infamous Miskatonic Report. Radially symmetrical, with five eyes on one end, five limbs on the other, five sets of branching tentacles for manipulation, and five folded wings tucked against their body. The texture of their bodies resembled that of a starfish, ridged and pebbled. There were four bodies.

"Fuck my mother," he said again, as he saw the operating table in the center of the room. A flayed and dissected carcass of a fifth creature lay on the table, its body opened and various organs laid in trays. Kazimir did not understand what he was seeing – he knew more geology than biology, and even then, this was no ordinary biological specimen.

"Fuck my mother!" he shouted as he came face-to-face with a living Elder Thing imprisoned within one of the empty glass cylinders. The creature moved and pulsed, breathing, perhaps, its eyes turning to look at him, its weird tentacles writhing as they pressed against the glass of its prison. Kazimir felt a pang of sympathy for the creature, a fellow prisoner.

A curtain at the back of the room was twitched aside. Kazimir caught a glimpse of another glass cylinder, this one full of black liquid that seemed to be boiling. Then, the curtain was closed, and the doctor entered. He wore a lab coat and had round, wire-rimmed glasses, and for the most part he resembled any other doctor Kazimir had met. But the way he looked at the creatures and at Kazimir, with a wide, toothy grin, and distant eyes, suggested otherwise.

"Ah, this must be the, ah, yes," the doctor said as he rubbed his hands together. The doctor gave a quick order to the soldiers, who untied Kazimir's hands and shoved him into a glass chamber next to the living creature. Kazimir had barely regained feeling in his hands when they sealed it shut behind him, leaving him imprisoned. The doctor chuckled and leaned back against the operating table as the soldiers left, one of them laughing as he went.

"Let me out of here, you son of a bitch," Kazimir snarled, rubbing his shoulders. Obviously, the doctor intended to do no such thing, but at least it felt good to curse at him.

"Don't worry, as you can see I have quite a bit of work before I can, heh, attend to you."

He spoke in halting Russian.

"What are these things?" Kazimir asked. Evidently the doctor was feeling chatty; he assumed that after however many years the doctor had been, in an underground Antarctic lair, he had grown rather tired of other conversations. Kazimir could use that.

"You should read up on your literature! These are members of the Elder Race, the creatures which came down from the stars when the world was young. Originators of life! Well, not these ones, I believe these ones to be degenerate citizens of the later stages of their civilization. You see, they can enter a torpor for almost an unlimited amount of time, quite amazing, yes, and when their civilization finally fell these ones sealed themselves away beneath the ice."

He pressed his hand against the chamber containing the Elder Thing, heedless of the way its tentacles pressed against the glass, sides heaving as if in fury. Kazimir noted this, too.

"We discovered these ones only yesterday, six, yes, as you can see four were not quite alive any longer, while this one..."

He looked at the specimen on the table. Kazimir felt vaguely ill at the knowledge that this thing, an intelligent creature, had been murdered and dissected for the twisted curiosity of a Nazi scientist. Kazimir's fellow prisoner must be furious.

"You are quite lucky!" the doctor continued, "You can observe me continue the dissection. Perhaps we shall both learn something, no?"

The doctor turned on a recording device and began narrating his dissection of the creature, but Kazimir tuned out the discussion of five-lobed brains and instead turned to look at his fellow prisoner.

"You didn't have to do that, you stupid Ukrainian peasant," Lev Godowsky muttered under his breath. He looked up at their guard. "Hey, do you speak Russian?"

The guard frowned at him but didn't say anything.

"Your family are inbred swine, and your breath smells like shit," said Mikhail. The guard didn't actually understand, but he knew when he was being insulted in any language.

"That was a mistake," said Lev as the Nazi soldier cracked his knuckles and walked forwards.

"Oh yeah? Well, look on the bright side," replied Mikhail.

"What's that?"

"These fucking idiots left all our gear and weapons over on that table. And these fascist bastards can't tie knots for shit," said Mikhail as he freed his hands. The Soviet lunged to his feet, cracking the Nazi on the jaw, and the soldier cursed and drew a knife. As the two struggled, Lev desperately tried to free own bonds, but only succeeded in toppling forward, tripping the Nazi soldier who went down on the ground, bringing Mikhail with him. By the time Lev had freed himself and gotten to his feet, Mikhail had let the Nazi go for some reason. Lev rushed to the table with their weapons, drew a revolver, and coolly shot the Nazi in the head.

Catching his breath, Lev moved to help Mikhail to his feet.

"Good work, Vladimirovich, now let's find the Commander and…ah, shit."

Mikhail was leaning back against the wall, hand red with blood from the stab wound in his stomach.

"I'll live, I'll…" Mikhail panted, but Lev was already grabbing his bag.

"You're lucky I'm a fucking doctor," he said as he helped Mikhail up onto a table, "Now, try to hold still for me. They'll definitely have heard that."

Vladimir was shoved into a chair in front of a table. The officer pulled out another chair and sat down in it, facing the Commander. His elbow rested on the table, his hand casually holding a pistol. Vladimir scanned the man's study; a bed, half-hidden behind a curtain, a desk, a shelf of books, a table holding scientific equipment and a shelf with some curious trophies.

"There, see? Now we may have a proper conversation," the Nazi said in German. Vladimir scowled.

"What do you have to tell me, you bastard?"

The Nazi chuckled and gestured with his gun.

"The conversation around here gets frightfully boring after a while. How is your smoked fish today? Don't you miss the Fatherland? How much hot water is left?"

"I see. Want to get something off your chest, then?" Vladimir said ironically. In truth, he hated the Nazi; their whole movement was one of failures and street thugs, the ones who survived had clung to fevered dreams and pernicious race science. This man clearly considered Vladimir an equal, but Vladimir considered him no better than he would a rat.

If he said 'we are not so different, you and I', Vladimir was going to spit on him.

"You are probably wondering what we have been doing here. In Antarctica, in this city."

"Even a fascist must appreciate scientific pursuits, though your interpretation must be flawed."

Vladimir began testing his bonds. He could just turn his wrists, and he felt the ropes loosen slightly...

"No, indeed? Very well. I am Major Wilhelm Striker. I'm afraid the title is largely a formality, but we must keep up appearances."

"Commander Vladimir Dralkin, 5th​ Antarctic Expedition," he said grudgingly. Major Striker smiled, as if he had won a victory.

"After the defeat of the National Socialist movement in the German Civil War we of course fled here, in one of the experimental super-submarines which were being developed at the time. We cannibalized the machine to build our new base, which we luckily knew about thanks to research into previous expeditions and our own prior scouting of the site."

"The Miskatonic Report was right, I assume? Elder Things, shoggoths?"

Major Striker nodded.

"Yes, although we found no living specimens of the Elder Race until just recently. As to shoggoths…are you familiar with the Mountains of Madness?"

"The Miskatonic Report was…rather fragmented in that regard," Vladimir admitted. In truth, it had been the rantings of a madman, and most had discredited it.

"We took losses," Major Striker admitted, "But eventually we discovered certain things. Important things. The Elder Race had called him down and had used…parts of him. I cannot quite explain it. Imagine if you took a cell scraping from a man and it grew like a cancer."

"Who is he?" Vladimir whispered, leaning forwards.

"Yog-Sothoth. The Gate and the Key. You must read up on your literature, Commander."

"And you…used him?"

Major Striker's eyes grew distant.

"All life is one in Yog-Sothoth. All living things are combined in him and they derive from him, he is life, metaphysically, the desire to grow and spread, to consume, reproduce, and die. Shoggoths are a mere part of him, scraped off and tamed. They are…terrible creatures, and strong, but we have been taming them. Terrible weapons of war."

The Major grinned in a rather proud way, but if Vladimir was impressed, he did not show it. Striker frowned and glanced away from the stoic Russian.

"A great development, I am sure," Vladimir finally said, "But I believe there is more, isn't there?"

Major Striker's triumphant smile returned.

"Yes. You see, we have obtained some, hmm matter, a crude sort of proto-shoggoth. With the right, I suppose you would call it magic-"

"Hardly," Vladimir interjected.

"Resonances, then, with the right will, it can be shaped into whatever form we desire. Cast-off bits of it provide the origins of life. Untamed, it becomes a seething mass of living, growing, things. But we shall use it to improve us. Imagine the Aryan race reaching its purest state, a triumphant form of life which exists to spread and drive to extinction all inferior races, without petty distractions.

You see, Commander Dralkin, Yog-Sothoth is all there is!

That is life, Commander, a relentless race of all against all. Competition between and within species, until the weak perish and the strong triumph. They spread their genes, made superior by the struggle for survival. As beasts eliminate each other in the endless war of teeth and claws, as man has eliminated the lesser forms of animals, so the Aryan race shall eliminate the lesser forms of man.

Ia! Ia! Yog-Sothoth!"

It was at that point that Vladimir knew the Nazi was truly mad. His ideology itself was a form of madness, a destruction of the mind, but whatever contact with Yog-Sothoth the Major had undergone, no matter how brief, had cracked him. His vision of the future was of a "master race" that was but a form of cancer. And yet, Vladimir could not stay silent.

"You are wrong," said Commander Vladimir, "Humans are not mere animals, we are Homo sapiens. Thinking Man.

Were the old battles in the dawn of humanity won with mere bestial strength and animalistic struggle? No! They were won with tools, with fire and shaped stones, and our development towards civilization was not one of blood but of invention! The virus is a 'pure' form of life by your standards, yet our science can eliminate it, as with all ills! With technology the needs of life - food, shelter, travel, all can be provided. And it would be provided to all, if men like you did not believe others, Jews, homosexuals, the disabled, were unworthy of survival.

Is that all you want from life? To consume, spread, and die? That is why your fascist ideology disgusts me. You value nothing that is human, you would obliterate the mind in favor of your stupid, meaningless eternal struggle. When you forsake your compassion to your fellow man, you make yourself into a beast."

Major Striker quivered with barely-concealed rage.

"Your insipid Judeobolshevik ideology is no better. You would coddle humanity in a shell of technology, allow the weak to live against the will of nature? My God, you are inferior after all. Have you nothing else to say?"

"Only that you fascist pricks can't tie knots for shit," he snarled, and as the ropes fell from his wrists he lunged forwards.

To be concluded!

Last edited:
Can't be a pulp adventure without the monologue and the easily escaped bonds. The pulp-verse's Hitler Youth must have taught all this with the rest of the supervillian and evil henchman curriculum.

Can't be a pulp adventure without the monologue and the easily escaped bonds. The pulp-verse's Hitler Youth must have taught all this with the rest of the supervillian and evil henchman curriculum.

The difference between real Nazis and pulp Nazis is similar to the distinction between science and SCIENCE! One of them involves far more scenery chewing, for one.

Okay, this "Aryan Shoggoth" idea is totally The Thing.

It is a bit of a circular reference ;)

You captured the pulpy writing style/dialogue style excellently! That was great!

Thank you kindly! Mostly I wanted to write a fun adventure, but I also wanted it to feel like a story you would read in a pulp magazine (or a Soviet sci-fi magazine, in this instance).

Since this is a Soviet sci fi comic the ending climax has to be resolved with the proletarian consciousness of scientific logic and the scientific logic of proletarian consciousness leading to an United Front of solidarity with the workers of the stars and The Thing killing the fuck out of the Nazis to the background of enthusatic Red Army marches.

Last edited:
Since this is a Soviet sci fi comic the ending climax has to be resolved with the proletarian consciousness of scientific logic and the scientific logic of proletarian consciousness leading to an United Front of solidarity with the workers of the stars and The Thing killing the fuck out of the Nazis to the background of enthusatic Red Army marches.

Well, it doesn't not end that way...

Secrets of the Ice IV
"Can you understand me?" Kazimir Tsiolkovsky whispered. The Elder Thing looked at him with three of its five eyes. Kazimir felt rather silly; he wasn't even sure if the Elder Thing had a mouth.

However, the Elder Thing now rotated its body towards him – although Kazimir didn't quite think of it as "facing" him. Kazimir felt a buzzing in his ears, and wondered if it was trying to communicate with him, when suddenly his mind was bombarded with images. Most of it was full of concepts and ideas that Kazimir had no context for, so they passed in a blur, but he caught sensations and images.

A living City, but one that was shrinking. Gardens, farms, goods being traded between [somewhere] and [somewhere] for the purposes of manufacturing. The City was full of other members of the Race. Goods and other [things] were shared in common. A government that did [something].

Members of the Race reproducing by budding. A "family" formed of unrelated individuals, sharing a household. Artistic pursuits. Meals. Companionship.

The years going colder. Agriculture failing. Snow falling. Members of the Race going into stasis. Darkness.

Their rest being disturbed. Primates in matching clothes, shouting. Killing and restraining members of the Race. A lair in the altered ruins of the City. Terrible images.

"Enough, enough!" Kazimir screamed. The doctor frowned up at him, and Kazimir went quiet. Eventually, the doctor muttered something to himself and returned to his dissection. Kazimir slumped at the bottom of his prison. He felt like an insect kept in a jar. The Elder Thing quivered.

Amusement.

"You can understand me? My thoughts?"

Encouragement.

Kazimir frowned. Perhaps to pass the time he could try and share.

He felt a bit silly, sitting there and trying to think very hard at an alien being. But he did, his childhood in Poland, winter exercises in Siberia, playing cards with Leon and Mikhail. The Deputy and the Commander, their quirks. He could recall all the images of his comrades in his mind. He tried to communicate to the alien what he could about the USSR, his mother country. He didn't really know how to explain communism, but he felt the Elder Thing got the idea.

They were both living, thinking creatures. They both sought companionship, and they even lived in a similar society. And they were both prisoners. The Elder Thing's thought process was very different from Kazimir's but they both hated the Nazis.

"We have to get out of here," said Kazimir suddenly. He got to his feet and braced his back against the concave wall of his prison. There had been a door, one hermetically sealed and with a handle on it – not locked, merely unable to be opened from within - but it represented a weakness in the glass.

He kicked, hard. His heavy boots, made for Antarctic conditions, collided with the glass. There was a promising crack.

"Hey! Stop that!"

Kazimir kicked again, and again pushing back against the glass as he did to exert more force. The lock bent. The doctor ran over to a speaking tube, unplugged it, and yelled.

"I need security here!" he screamed.

Kazimir finally succeeded in breaking open the door, and as shattered glass tinkled on the stone floor, he stepped out and stretched his shoulders.

"Please! Please, I'm just a doctor, I didn't do anything!" he pleaded as he backed away.

"Shut up," Kazimir said as he grabbed the handle of the Elder Thing's prison and wrenched it open. The handle bent as the door swung open, and the Elder Thing lunged across the room at the doctor, who only had a moment to scream before the Elder Thing's tentacles found him and squeezed.

Kazimir looked away as the doctor's eyes began to bulge grotesquely, until a gurgle and crunch told Kazimir that the man was dead.

The door clanked and began to open, heralding the arrival of the guard the doctor had called for. Kazimir cast about for a weapon and found nothing, so he and the Elder Thing simply tackled the man as he stepped through the door, wrestling to the ground. As the Elder Thing throttled him, Kazimir wrestled his gun away. He thrust the bayonet through the Nazi's throat and searched him for ammunition, then stood up and faced the Elder Thing.

"So," he said, "Unless I am mistaken, you're a comrade as well. What's behind the curtain?"

Shoggoth.

"Well. How do we let it out?"

The Elder Thing seemed to think for a moment, then pointed one of its tentacles at a large valve. Kazimir shrugged and took it in his hands.

"We better get ready to run," he said. As he turned the valve, there was a hissing sound of pressure being released, and the tank behind the curtain rumbled as the shoggoth roared to life.

The valve loosened as Kazimir turned it, and he spun it wildly, throwing it wide open. He heard the scream of the shoggoth.

"Tekel-li! Tekel-li!"

"We should start running," said Kazimir, so they did.

He was rather surprised at how quick the Elder Thing could move in a pinch, but then again, he did have five legs.

"Sorry," Mikhail muttered as he took a swig from the vodka bottle. He had refused painkillers, but at least they had the bottle of vodka.

"Huh?" Lev asked, looking up from the injury.

"Just…sorry."

Lev rolled his eyes.

"Look. When I was a boy my father said, 'Lev', he said, 'You'll meet two kinds of antisemites in your life: some that are reactionaries, and everyone else who is just prejudiced.' Not to get into this while I'm trying to sew you up, but all my life no one's ever let me forget that I'm a Jew. Ah, fuck."

The door had opened and a Nazi was halfway through when Leon grabbed the revolver that was lying nearby and shot him twice. The man screamed and tumbled back through the doorway, leading to more shouts and the sounds of running boots. Lev handed the revolver to Mikhail, who pointed it awkwardly at the door.

"And why not?" Mikhail asked as he squinted one eye. Leon looked up again.

"Why not what?"

"I grew up in a no-name town in Ukraine where I never met anyone who didn't share one of three last names. Then, I joined the army, and I met Siberians, Poles, Khazaks, even Jews. We are all comrades; we wouldn't be the workers of the world if we were all the same people. Your family are Jews, but they are Soviet Jews. Where is your pride?"

Lev frowned and looked back at the wound. Soviet Jews were Soviets first, and Jews second; that was what "Soviet culture" meant - assimilation. But that didn't mean they weren't Jews.

"Well, it's the worst stitch job I've ever done, but it didn't hit anything important. You'll probably tear it open out there, I shouldn't guess, but you'll live. Give me that bottle."

Lev drained the bottle as Mikhail swung himself off the table. He toppled it over onto his side before handing Lev a rifle.

"Anyway, I'm sure we'll get out of this somehow," Mikhail said.

"I wish I had your optimism, Mishy," Lev grumbled as he knelt behind the table, aiming his rifle carefully.

Shouted orders from outside heralded the imminent arrival of the Nazis. Both men raised their weapons as the door swung open again, screaming together.

"URAAAA!!"

Vladimir Dralkin's hands sought the throat of the Nazi officer, who fired off his gun wildly. Vladimir felt it graze him, but he fought down the sharp but ultimately minor pain and moved to grab Striker's wrist. The gun clattered away, but Striker punched Vladimir in the side of the head, knocking the man off him. Vladimir shook his head and lunged back on his feet as Striker reached for the gun. Finding nothing to hand, Vladimir grabbed the table and flipped it over onto the Nazi officer, then he turned and ran.

Major Striker got to his feet and lunged for a speaking tube in one corner of the room.

"They're escaping, you idiots! Stop them! ACTIVATE THE FUHRERMASCHINE!"

Shaking with rage, he fumbled around a cabinet until he found a bottle of black, boiling liquid. After a mere flicker of hesitation, he unsealed it and began to drink.

Deep in the bowels of the base, mechanics turned valves and allowed hissing steam to rush into place. Pistons began to pump, electricity coursed, and a brain suspended in a tank of nutrient solution, wires connecting it to a series of circuits, flickered to life. Gears turned as the Fuhrermaschine rose to its feet and began to walk.

Kazimir and his companion ran down long corridors of black stone and up metal staircases, then turned the final corner and saw several Nazis gathered around the door where they had left Leon and Mikhail.

"Fuck!" Kazimir shouted as he skidded to a stop. The Elder Thing paused behind him; unarmed, it peered around the corner with one eye as Kazimir raised his rifle.

One of the Nazis leaders heard him, then turned and started shouting orders. However, another of his men had flung open the door, and Kazimir heard a battle cry from within.

"URAAAA!"

Kazimir fired his rifle, raising his voice in reply.

"URRRAAAAAA!!"

The Nazis were caught taking fire from two directions, and three dropped including their commander before the rest broke and ran. Kazimir panted and checked himself, but found no bullet wounds.

"Fuck me in the ass, that was close," he said. "You boys alive in there?"

"Yes, but fuck me that was a close thing," came the voice of Lev Godowsky. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Lev and Mikhail appeared a moment later, loaded down with the Expedition's gear. The pair's eyes bulged as they saw the Elder Thing scuttling along in Kazimir's wake.

"He's friendly," Kazimir joked. Lev shrugged and checked the belt of grenades slung over his shoulder. Mikhail turned in a circle.

"We need to find the Commander. Kazimir, which way is out?"

"He said he would return to us here."

"Tekel-li! Tekel-li!" came an inhuman voice.

"Fuck! What was that?" Mikhail asked. Kazimir scowled and looked back over his shoulder.

"Uh, a shoggoth, unfortunately."

"Ah. I should've read the Miskatonic Report," Mikhail said, stifling a nervous laugh. A rumbling sound echoed down the tunnel, punctuated by the screams of men caught up in the shoggoth's path.

The men looked at each other and ran.

Vladimir Dralkin rushed out onto a steel walkway overlooking a vast room. He leaned on the railing and looked down, and saw his three comrades running into the room…accompanied by a strange alien creature that seemed to be assisting them.

Vladimir felt that Kazimir was going to say 'I told you so' when he next had the chance.

He shouted and waved, and the men paused and waved back.

"Commander!" Kazimir yelled, "We need to get out of here! There's something…coming…"

The men paused as, through the massive tunnel at the opposite end of the chamber, came a clanking, mechanical thunder. Heavy steps, accompanied by the hiss and clank of giant pistons, echoed down the corridor, and the Fuhrermaschine appeared.

It was ten feet tall and made all of iron and steel. Hissing steam-pistons and gears moved its limbs as it clanked into the chamber. In the center of its chest a glass window showed a brain floating in some strange liquid, and in place of hands it had a whirring circular saw and some kind of nozzle, connected by a tube to a tank on its back. Kazimir was the first to raise his gun and fire, but it merely pinged off the steel plating. Gears turned, and a heavy plate slid down to cover the glass face.

"The Fuhrermaschine!" shouted a voice from behind Vladimir. He turned and saw Major Striker…but no longer was he completely human. Now his left arm was replaced by a cluster of tentacles, lined with hooks and radial maws full of serrated teeth.

"Son of a motherfucker!" swore Vladimir as he backed up.

"We saved his brain," Major Striker laughed, "Now he is STRONGER!"

"What happened to you?" Vladimir asked. Major Striker raised an eyebrow, then looked at his new appendages as if for the first time.

"The process has begun," laughed the Major, "Not as much as I'd hoped but there is always more where this came from! The final form of the Aryan race!!"

His tentacles reached out for Vladimir, who screamed and lunged backwards, out of their terrible reach.

On the floor, the other men were confronted with the Fuhrermaschine.

"We have no way of damaging it!" shouted Kazimir, "Run!"

"But the Commander!" yelled Mikhail, pointing up at the walkway. Major Striker's tentacles had knocked Vladimir's feet out from under him.

"TEKEL-LI-LI" came the cry from back the way the team had come.

"No time, no time!" Kazimir screamed, shoving Mikhail along, towards the staircase that seemed to offer the only way out of the chamber.

"Wait! The grenades!" Mikhail shouted, "We can use them against…that!"

Lev grabbed the belt in realization, unslinging it.

"How can we get it over there?" he asked as the giant machine moved towards them.

The Elder Thing stepped between them and spread its wings.

The shoggoth was a black mass of tarry liquid, covered in eyes and mouths which constantly appeared only to be reabsorbed into its mass. The mouths were screaming in broken fragments of Aklo, but above them all rose the mysterious cry of "Tekel-li!"

It barreled out of the tunnel like a freight train and slammed into the Fuhrermaschine with all the strength of one. The machine groaned as steel buckled and steam burst from its casings, and it brought down its screaming sawblade hand on the shoggoth, shredding eyes and severing tentacles. However, the amorphous creature had no organs that it could not absorb and regrow once damage. The machine raised its other arm and produced a gout of flame, dousing the shoggoth in burning liquid. The shoggoth shrieked and drew back, but only for a moment before it surged forward again. It wrapped itself around the machine as it struggled, crumpling the flamethrower. Flame and smoke blossomed, enveloping both the shoggoth and the machine, but the monsters were unharmed and continued their struggle, unnatural strength against hard steel.

Major Striker waved his human arm.

"You see, Commander Dralkin? This is what was meant to happen! A pure fight between man and man, the winner surviving based on the strength of his genes and will alone!"

"You're a sick freak, Striker," Vladimir said from the ground, "You'll never kill me."

"And why not?"

"Hey, fascist!"

Major Striker's head whipped around, and he saw Leon Godowsky standing at the foot of the stairs. His rifle was pointed square at the Nazi officer.

"You found your Jew!" Lev yelled as he pulled the trigger. He could not have had better aim if he was on the firing range.

The bullet slammed into Major Striker's shoulder. He was knocked backwards, toppling over the railing and falling down into the seething mass of shoggoth where it was struggling with the crumpling machine. Vladimir got to his feet and ran along the walkway, and as he did something passed by him.

The Elder Thing swooped across the cavernous space of the chamber on its outspread wings; the belt of grenades was clutched in its tentacles. It pulled the pins – all of them – as Kazimir had showed it, then released the belt. The grenades fell towards the Fuhrermaschine and the shoggoth, and as the Soviet Antarctic Expedition finally reunited at the top of the staircase, the grenades detonated behind them.

Kazimir threw Vladimir a salute.

"Commander, I have reunited with the others as requested. Shall I lead us to the surface?"

Vladimir looked back at the carnage as the Elder Thing swooped down to join them.

"Indeed, comrade. Indeed."

The four men stood under the Antarctic sun, blinking in the light. Kazimir looked up in awe as the Elder Thing flew above them, conducting a series of swoops and rolls, seemingly for the pure joy of being in the open air.

"How strange. How marvelous!" Kazimir said. Vladimir chuckled.

"I suppose this rather beats the Miskatonic Report, eh, comrade?"

Lev and Mikhail sat on a ledge.

"How are you doing?" Leon asked. Mikhail touched the stab wound in his side.

"Still holding together. You did pretty well."

"It was nothing," Lev said as he smiled to himself, "I'm just glad that's all over."

"Kazimir! How the fuck did you get that thing to help you?" Mikhail asked. Kazimir shrugged.

"It's a person, just like us. It thinks and looks a lot different, I suppose, but there are things we all hold in common. Wouldn't you say, comrade?"

Lev was going to laugh when he froze. The dogs started barking wildly, snapping at each other in their frenzy, some straining at their leads. Kazimir cursed and ran towards the dogs, and Leon was the first to rise to his feet.

The thing that had once been Major Striker shambled forth from the tunnel, right behind Commander Vladimir. Lev fired, then Kazimir turned and instinctively drew his revolver, shooting as well, and Lev reloaded and fired again, and again, until Mikhail and Vladimir joined in as well. When they had emptied all their remaining bullets into the thing, they stopped.

The mass of eyes, mouths, and writhing, squirming tentacles carried forward on segmented legs shuddered and lay still.

"Okay, we're burning that thing," Vladimir said, "Get the kerosene."

In Mirny Station, Mikhail and Lev were trying to teach the Elder Thing how to play cards. Vladimir and Kazimir sat in the Commander's quarters, carefully going over the events of the last 24 hours.

"This is going to be a bitch to explain," said Kazimir, "What do you think they're going to do with the…Thing?"

"Elder, surely," Vladimir said as he shuffled through his notes, "Well, they'll probably want it to come back to Moscow and see if we can learn anything. Although if I remember correctly, their society was several leaps ahead of ours, so we'll be lucky if it can even teach us to build the tools to build the tools, and so on."

Kazimir frowned.

"And do you suppose they'll want to send another Expedition here? One more intent on uncovering the secrets of the Elder Race? Perhaps even learn how to tame shoggoths of our own?"

"Perhaps, and why not?" mused Vladimir, "It would be a great asset to the worker's state – assuming they can be controlled. Then again, I seem to recall that the shoggoths rose up against the Elder Race. Perhaps the shoggoths can be reasoned with, if they share in the struggle for liberation. After our friend out there, I can certainly say I wouldn't be surprised to find comrades in all shapes and forms."

The two men chewed on that for a moment.

"I'll tell you one thing, though, I'm not sure I can take another season in Antarctica," Kazimir said. Vladimir laughed and slid the documents into a folder.

"No, I'm not sure I could either. That said, how do you feel about the Canadian Arctic?"

Next time: THE DRAGON OF THE WEST

Can't wait for the continuing adventures of Comrade Elder Thing!

I would like to make them recurring characters, but my plan from now on is to write a series of short stories set in various parts of the setting, featuring different conflicts and characters.

For example, DRAGON OF THE WEST is about a Chinese martial arts practitioner working on the railroads in the American Southwest, only to be embroiled in a conflict between settlers, outlaws, Native Americans, labor unions, and the Pinkertons...

EDIT: Very fitting that people are reacting to this with the red envelopes...

Last edited:
I would like to make them recurring characters, but my plan from now on is to write a series of short stories set in various parts of the setting, featuring different conflicts and characters.

For example, DRAGON OF THE WEST is about a Chinese martial arts practitioner working on the railroads in the American Southwest, only to be embroiled in a conflict between settlers, outlaws, Native Americans, labor unions, and the Pinkertons...
Im assuming this happened before the Revolution, when the Labor types took absolute control and pushed the Pinkertons out.

Yeah, that makes sense. I really liked SECRETS OF THE ICE's wacky combination of fictional Antarcticas, so I'm excited to see what you've got coming up.

Hell yeah. Hope we get to see a Chinese martial artist and a Ghost Dance practitioner throw down (at least until they team up to beat up the Pinkertons!)

Of course the advanced civilization of the Elder Things used a form of communism. :p

Back