The OTL Catholic Church officially denies the existence of magic (especially from Satan), but ITTL they're conducting their own research programs, trying to find out where magic comes from - if it's a natural phenomena (so to speak) then its use is no different from any other technology, if it's from God then it should be accounted for doctrinally, and if it comes from entities other than God it probably isn't something Catholics should mess with.

However, there are several different kinds of magic, and folk magic like the talisman I showed above could be very different from psychic abilities, which could be very different from Lovecraft's Hideous Mathematics.

Also the Catholic Church naturally has vaults full of powerful relics like the Lance of Longinus, guarded of course by Top Men.

Oh certainly there are wise old rabbis who are secretly incredibly powerful mystics.
I'm gonna say that many Jewish Communites just have Golem doing basic labor so the people can focus on studying torah and living a good life with good parties, as Hashem commands

EDIT: And that's not even getting into the Mermaids that canonically interbreed with people according to some Rabbi in the Talmud

Last edited:
I'm gonna say that many Jewish Communites just have Golem doing basic labor so the people can focus on studying torah and living a good life with good parties, as Hashem commands

EDIT: And that's not even getting into the Mermaids that canonically interbreed with people according to some Rabbi in the Talmud

Or the rabbi who thought the Biblical Benjamin son of Israel was a werewolf!

Although if you want loads of Abrahamic fantasy, I'm currently working on a second version of Covenant (V1 in my sig).

The OTL Catholic Church officially denies the existence of magic (especially from Satan), but ITTL they're conducting their own research programs, trying to find out where magic comes from - if it's a natural phenomena (so to speak) then its use is no different from any other technology, if it's from God then it should be accounted for doctrinally, and if it comes from entities other than God it probably isn't something Catholics should mess with.
Sounds logical and very much within a Catholic approach, what with good amount of study first and good debate and careful classification, with of course the Jesuits getting the job of sorting out who gets who.
However, there are several different kinds of magic, and folk magic like the talisman I showed above could be very different from psychic abilities, which could be very different from Lovecraft's Hideous Mathematics.
Gotcha, SO basically folk Catholic traditions which either arent known by the Vatican or are known and are either being debated heavily or condemmed offically but still have practioners, like say whatever is going on in the Philipnes.
Also the Catholic Church naturally has vaults full of powerful relics like the Lance of Longinus, guarded of course by Top Men.
Of course, Of course, Cool Toys, please come to us!

ITTL my ancestors are mostly still in the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom (The aftermath of the failure of the Rebellion is likely a big part of why they left for Nanyang OTL). So they get to be power-punching civil servants/farmers/factory workers/soldiers.

ITTL my ancestors are mostly still in the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom (The aftermath of the failure of the Rebellion is likely a big part of why they left for Nanyang OTL). So they get to be power-punching civil servants/farmers/factory workers/soldiers.
My acestors are in Ireland (maternal side) or the Midwest (paternal) if they surrvived the entire Well Ghost Dance. They arrived in North in the early 1870s, so before the Ghost Dance, which leads to um...unplesent implications about their fates.

My acestors are in Ireland (maternal side) or the Midwest (paternal) if they surrvived the entire Well Ghost Dance. They arrived in North in the early 1870s, so before the Ghost Dance, which leads to um...unplesent implications about their fates.
Uh... North where? My understanding is that the Ghost Dance basically halted American expansion west of the Mississippi; it didn't result in some massive territorial rollback of heavily settled areas.

It should be pointed out that the Plains Indians (and the other tribes, like those forcibly resettled to what is now Oklahoma, who likely joined in) are, as of the mid-1800s, a relatively small total population. Historically they were far more interested in securing their own way of life and the broad expanse of their territory than they were in waging any crusades. Even if magic were making every last man of them ten feet tall and bulletproof, there would be a practical upper bound on how much territory they would or could press forward into with the opposition of an organized state pushing back against them.

Uh... North where? My understanding is that the Ghost Dance basically halted American expansion west of the Mississippi; it didn't result in some massive territorial rollback of heavily settled areas.
Ah Shit, thats my bad. They arrived in North Dakota in the 1870s, which I can see is Native American... I thought I added that last part but no either im forgetful or my phone fucked up. Either one

OK, North Dakota would be rough because they'd be running straight into the conflicts with the Lakota et al. up there. Honestly, depending on the exact date of settlement and how the campaigns went (which are below the limit of resolution of this timeline), they'd probably have either:

1) Just stayed on the East Coast where they arrived and not willingly gone out into 'Injun Country' to settle while a shooting war that the US Army was losing was underway, OR...

2) Gone up there and NOPE NOPE NOPED right back east, OR...

3) Yeah, wound up dead.

Any or all are plausible.

Yeah, they probably noped out when bulletproof Sioux warriors beat up the US Cavalry, but ITTL the Ghost Dance occurred before there was too much settlement in the west.

(There are still whites in Indian country, merchants, explorers, adventurers and so forth, but they have to tread very carefully.)

Also I imagine a lot of new Metis/Voyageur/Countryborn merchant minorities and creole groups as now profit can only be earned by playing the game as the high plains confederations set it. Maybe even a whole bunch of lost Buffalo soldiers and Exodusters caught off before the new revolution in America and becoming a western version of the Black Seminoles?

Yeah definitely.

Also "where would I be in an ATL" is a fun game, for example my ancestors were Missouri dirt farmers so I'm probably living in St. Louis - although I hope I'm avoiding the various cults, buried eldritch secrets, or whatever else the city is sitting on top of ITTL.

Magic
Magic

What is magic? Scholars, mystics, and religious leaders have disagreed, and the study of "Exotic Science" remains a field fraught with controversy, cranks, and inconclusive results. However, bit by bit pieces of arcane lore, forbidden and lost knowledge, and folk wisdom have been collected to give an idea of the full picture. Researchers of Exotic Science now believe that there are several fields, perhaps completely unrelated, that are collectively known as magic.

Perhaps the form of "magic" most well-documented by science is the area of psychic phenomena. There are various methods for detecting psychic sensitivity in Humans, and psychics can train themselves to make better use of their abilities. Basic psychic abilities include telepathy, naturally, but also remote viewing, hypnosis, telekinesis, and, at higher levels, flight, astral projection, phasing through solid objects, and even disintegration. However, more advanced abilities or prolonged mental strain may lead to cerebral hemorrhaging and death; the psychically sensitive are also more susceptible to mental damage when exposed to certain objects, beings, or energies whose origins are not wholly of this world – these are termed "cognitohazards" by the scientific community.

In fact, psychic phenomena have been so well-studied that some scholars of "Exotic Science" are convinced that all magic can be explained by applying psychic principles to it, but this thesis is highly controversial; while some "magical" phenomena can be explained through psychic abilities, many forms of magic can be practiced by those who are not psychically sensitive (the counterargument by proponents of the theory, that all Humans are subtly psychic, is unproven). The theory has its share of cranks, in any case.

The most common form of magic is "ritual magic", which is sometimes referred to by researchers as "traditional" or "folk" magic (or "folk medicine" when used in a healing context) or even "occultism", in addition to more popular terms (wizardry, sorcery, witchcraft, etc) – the sort of magic practiced by witch doctors, folk healers, and goth teenagers. Ritual magic operates under a broad umbrella of similar principles: they typically involve the use of material components in attempt to form of sympathetic magic, the use of resonant or auspicious locations or times in order to amplify the power of the spell, and a focus, naturally, on ritual, usually one which invokes some higher power, whether gods, spirits, or something similar.

This last point has led to significant controversy in the field of Exotic Science – are the gods real, or aren't they? Theories differ; many practitioners of traditional magic naturally insist they are calling on their deity – obviously, practitioners of other faiths, they say must be calling on the same gods, or demons, or perhaps all gods coexist (monotheists have rather more mental gymnastics to go through, though they usually call on saints and angels rather than God himself). Again, results have been inconclusive, as some spells can be replicated across cultures, while others remain specific to the cultures which originated them. Many students of Exotic Science have even developed rituals which do not invoke a higher power at all.

The applications of ritual magic are varied; its most useful application is in the form of magical healing and medicine. Once the scientific method has been applied, these rituals have been extremely successful; the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom in particular has managed to combine traditional forms of medicine with their public health system on a scale not seen anywhere else in the world. The second most useful form of ritual magic is the field of curses or blessings. Known to students of Exotic Science as "probability manipulation", this field is chiefly concerned with calling down curses on enemies or blessing (and counter-curses) on allies, and laboratory tests seem to have confirmed their efficacy on scales that register in statistical deviations – hence the scientific euphemism. At their most powerful, curses can kill outright, but require more specialized circumstances to carry out, something that is common across most of the magical field. Divination, lastly, is a field considered more art than science, and prying information – let alone useful information – from the universe is something only a gifted few are capable of with any confirmed success.

Other applications of ritual magic include shapeshifting, flight, creating illusions, speaking with animals, communicating through dreams, and controlling the weather. This is not an exhaustive list.

Some magic practitioners also create magic items, ranging from simple charms to more complex tools, but charms are the most common, usually wards against danger, curses, or even bad luck. The applications of enchanting items to, for example, modern weapons and machines is of great interest to several powers.

There are also several martial arts originating in China and Japan, which, if not outright magical in nature, are definitely supernatural. Certain martial arts practitioners, after intense training using specialized and often secret techniques, can obtain superhuman levels of strength, speed, and durability, in addition to a number of other powers including flight and teleportation. These martial arts techniques are specific to a few styles which are in turn divided into schools, some of which are sealed off to outsiders and others of which are actively involved in various plots against each other or regional governments. The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, again, has had the most success in training its population en masse in martial arts, and Japan is copying their example.

Then there are those individuals who are capable of changing the course of events or even causing supernatural phenomena seemingly through the power of will – and their own faith. Mystics, miracle workers, or prophets, these individuals always claim the support of a higher power, and their workings are difficult to document and almost impossible to study under laboratory conditions. Studies of these events ("anomalous supernatural occurrences" to those disinclined to call them miracles) have thus been spotty and they remain one of the least understood fields of Exotic Science, one that for many remains firmly in the realm of the divine, along with supposed sightings and encounters with gods, spirits, demons, angels, saints, and the afterlife.

Finally, there are those supernatural phenomena which are simply too dangerous or which require ethically dubious techniques – ranging from rituals involving blood magic, human sacrifice, and cannibalism, to the Hideous Mathematics which, according to certain eldritch tomes, can be used to contact entities from outside our dimension, to anything involving the binding or manipulating of the souls of the dead. Many of these techniques carry the death sentence in countries which have laws regarding magic, and in other places they are considered taboos worthy of death anyway. If such schools have their practitioners, they are surely insane cultists…or, perhaps, the agents of highly secretive and amoral government programs.

The only thing that's missing is a secret worldwide cabal of mad scientists and men in black sworn to normalize all Exotic Sciences into mundanity and disappear everything they can't, and suddenly this world is now a Mage the Ascension game.

I assume nosebleeds are one of the early signs that a psychic is pushing themselves too hard. :p

What's the "current year" for this setting?

It is any year and no year, the speculative future of an imagined past.

(More seriously, I like to keep things intentionally vague as this setting is largely rooted in aesthetics - up to and including the Cold War, though some parts of the world suggest a POD in the 1700s! - but given certain events I'd say you could imagine it as the mid-20th Century at the latest.)

The Oceans and Elsewhere
The Oceans and Elsewhere

Australia and Oceania are the back-end of the world. Very little colonization has occurred here, just a few outposts for fishing, trade, and exploration by the British, French, and Germans. The Polynesians like that just fine, although the Kingdom of Hawaii has built a modern fleet and are beginning to build a sphere of influence involving lesser Polynesian states, and in the process are beginning to clash with Dagon cultists.

As mentioned, the Deep Ones have presences in the Pacific and Atlantic, and there may be other, stranger intelligences lurking beneath the sea. The oceans are even less explored than space, and perhaps even more hostile to boot, but giant submarines do ply the waters here; developed first by the mysterious Captain Nemo, other versions were soon built by the great powers. The Germans, French, the Raj, the Chinese Science Dictatorship, the Soviets, California, and the United States all maintain submarine fleets, and there may be others yet unknown.

In addition, there is the growing influence of the free association of submarines calling itself "the Maritime State". Defectors from surface empires, the constructions of private enterprises, or simple submarine pirates, the members of the Maritime State clash with surface empires, the Deep Ones, and occasionally with each other. The are a strange breed, divorced from the surface world, and yet their members are of every creed and nation imaginable. They subsist, like many other submarine crews in the employ of "surface empires", entirely on the sea, and speak their own strange constructed language unique to them. They are increasingly a nuisance, and many surface governments believe Something Should Be Done.

However, even the Deep Ones swim in fear of sunken R'lyeh, where dread Cthulhu lies dreaming…

Australia is an uncharted continent, although the Hawaiians, Indonesians, and members of the Maritime State do frequent trade with the Aboriginal inhabitants. The reports that have come back, of "Hairy Men", of a strange race of lizard men which live beneath the earth, and of vast ruins of a pre-human civilization, beggar belief. Surely an expedition will be sent to the "Third World" in the near future to discern what truth, if any, lie behind these tales.

There are of course some pretty spectacular ruins half-buried in the ice of Antarctica, as discovered and described by a rather ill-fated expedition by Miskatonic University; believed to be the remnants of the ancient civilization of the Elder Things, only a handful of follow-up expeditions have confirmed the admittedly muddled reports brought back by that first expedition – and no one has dared to venture beyond them, to the Mountains of Madness.

Finally, there is space. Through the use of space cannons, and augmented by cavorite alloys, vessels have been sent around the Earth, to the Moon, and on fly-bys of Mercury and Venus. Mercury is burning hot on one side and freezing cold on the other, tidally-locked with a relatively clement twilight zone and yet no signs of life. Venus appears to be a steaming hothouse whose surface is covered in oceans and lush rainforests; when Humans land on her surface, they will discover a world inhabited by carnivorous plants, sluggish giant reptiles not entirely like Earth's Dinosaurs, and a race of humanoids closely related to Earthlings, but matriarchal and with skin tones ranging from blue to green.

The United States of America, the British Raj, the Chinese Science Dictatorship, the Soviet Union, and the French all have made forays into space, although as yet only the British Raj and their "Viceroyalty of the Moon" stands as humanity's sole extraterrestrial colony – although several powers have plans to change that.

Thus far, the stalemate with the Martians continues; the Martians are still building up the strength to have another go at conquering Earth, while the Earth powers are fractious and lack the ability to wage interplanetary war. This too will change. Furthermore, the Earthlings are yet unaware that other people already live under the tyrannical rule of the "Old Martians", but the liberation of the Red and Green Martians will have to wait.

The Solar System beyond the Asteroid Belt is little explored, and is home to some weird and hostile beings, not to mention distant Yuggoth, the outpost of the mighty Mi-Go Empire. For beyond Earth are stars uncounted, home to alien races both weird and ancient, whose reach spans the very gulfs between galaxies themselves.

Next time: SECRETS OF THE ICE, a WORLD OF PULP TALE!

Last edited:
-It sounds like the Maritime State is entirely in line with the ideas of Captain Nemo- was he an Indian royal in this TL as Verne had him?
-We get our blue/green scantily-clad space babes! I'm sure that Venusian matriarchy is just as oppressive as Terrestrial patriarchy and devastatingly deconstructs male fantasies about the trope.
-Can't wait for our first tale!

-It sounds like the Maritime State is entirely in line with the ideas of Captain Nemo- was he an Indian royal in this TL as Verne had him?
-We get our blue/green scantily-clad space babes! I'm sure that Venusian matriarchy is just as oppressive as Terrestrial patriarchy and devastatingly deconstructs male fantasies about the trope.
-Can't wait for our first tale!
Actually Verne originally had him as a Polish noble who's family was killed by Russians during the January Uprising, but his publisher had it changed to avoid offending Russia.

Really? I did not know that, I thought he started out as Prince Dakkar.
"In early drafts of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas, Nemo appears as a Polish noble, a member of the szlachta bent on avenging the murder of his family during Russia's violent suppression of the January Uprising. However Verne's editor Pierre-Jules Hetzel feared that the book not only would offend the Russian Empire, a major French ally, but would also be banned from that country's bookstores. Accordingly Hetzel insisted that Verne revise the novel to conceal Nemo's background and political motivations."

Back