When the Guns Fall Silent (A Star Trek quest)

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by KNakamura on Feb 21, 2024 at 2:54 AM, finished with 22 posts and 2 votes.

• [x] Bargain to do this and then go to exploration (1 success needed, +Respect with Command.) [Selects Ep 3]
    [X] Stonger Officers
    - [X] Commander Dati Parhai- Command 10d+4d
    - [X] Dr. Nana - Medical- 10d+3d
    - [X] Li Wentian - Engineering - 10d+3d
    - [X] Claude C. Kenni - Science - 10d+3d
    - [X] Yanagashira Nadeshiko- Tactical - 10d+1d
    - [X] Send Wentian to attend a seminar on experimentation safety
    - [X] Assist in R&D Writeups. [Medium, will mean your next ship starts automatically with any successful R&D initiatives, +1d R&D Progress]
    - [X] Wentian has asked for someone who can help her with her "experiments", and you need a new Assistant Chief Engineering Officer anyway. [Medium, removes Complication rolls from Wentian's experiments, more likely to catch negative effects.]
    - [X] Send your officers to a seminar on [skill] (Guaranteed +1 rank. One take per officer)
    --[X] Send Yanagashira on an Engineering Development Course.
    -[X] Wentian, Talonis, Delarinous, Janeway: Develop the Type-7C Shuttlecraft. (Add default weapons, increased impulse speed, more armor. Slightly better comforts. [11 successes](Short Time)- 20d
    -[X] Delarinous, Janeway: Probe Mk XI (probes upgraded for better armor, thrusters, and sensor reach.) [6 successes, cut down by Ep.2 usage](Unlocks: Probe Mk XI deployment, Photon Torpedo Type 5 Mk I research.) - 10d
    -[X] Nana, Janeway: Modernize Sickbay. (+1d Health, Resilience Improved, gain auto reroll of critical failures.) [5 successes (Command)](Politics Roll) - 10d

Episode 2: Keep on Running [Rough Patches in the River]
QM Note: I normalized the bands of stats of the characters. What this means is that Delarnious and Nana got upgrades. See bottom of the post for why.

Rosters are also updated.

[x] Bargain to do this and then go to exploration (1 success needed, +Respect with Command.) [Selects Ep 3]

[X] Stonger Officers
- [X] Commander Dati Parhai- Command 10d+4d
- [X] Dr. Nana - Medical- 10d+3d
- [X] Li Wentian - Engineering - 10d+3d
- [X] Claude C. Kenni - Science - 10d+3d
- [X] Yanagashira Nadeshiko- Tactical - 10d+1d
- [X] Send Wentian to attend a seminar on experimentation safety
- [X] Assist in R&D Writeups. [Medium, will mean your next ship starts automatically with any successful R&D initiatives, +1d R&D Progress]
- [X] Wentian has asked for someone who can help her with her "experiments", and you need a new Assistant Chief Engineering Officer anyway. [Medium, removes Complication rolls from Wentian's experiments, more likely to catch negative effects.]
- [X] Send your officers to a seminar on [skill] (Guaranteed +1 rank. One take per officer)
--[X] Send Yanagashira on an Engineering Development Course.
-[X] Wentian, Talonis, Delarinous, Janeway: Develop the Type-7C Shuttlecraft. (Add default weapons, increased impulse speed, more armor. Slightly better comforts. [11 successes](Short Time)- 20d
-[X] Delarinous, Janeway: Probe Mk XI (probes upgraded for better armor, thrusters, and sensor reach.) [6 successes, cut down by Ep.2 usage](Unlocks: Probe Mk XI deployment, Photon Torpedo Type 5 Mk I research.) - 10d
-[X] Nana, Janeway: Modernize Sickbay. (+1d Health, Resilience Improved, gain auto reroll of critical failures.) [5 successes (Command)](Politics Roll) - 10d

[Command: [5, 5, 2] => 2 successes]

You have to negotiate with the Ice Queen herself, Rear Admiral Alynna Nechayev. And you know she's not a huge fan of you. To be fair, it's more of the "you haven't proven yourself" rather than the "I dislike you personally."

You've had enough experience with both to know the difference. That said, she's slightly surprised when you start with asking how the Task Force was going to break down so you knew best how to prepare drills. She gets the point quickly, and nods with a faint smile.

"No worries, Commander. We were never going to divert you to the task force anyway." She sips her tea for a second. "You've proven remarkably able at dealing with them, and we need to find out what could be going on there. "

"Agreed." You nod, sipping your matcha tea. "I was hoping to go on an exploration mission.. just hopefully without a colony going dark!"

She smiles politely, about as much humor as she's letting herself show. "Agreed. We can't keep this many ships in this area for long, but I am going to arrange for in-person checks. I'll likely have you do one on your way out."

"That's no problem, Admiral." You nod.. and soon she lets you go, much to your relief. You could deal with people like her - you had all the time in your past life - but it wasn't something you enjoyed.

[Episode 3 selected. "To The Unknown Seas"]

Training
- Commander Dati Parhai- Command 10d+4d+2d: 9 successes -> Command increases to 4d
- Dr. Nana - Medical- 10d+3d+2d: 4 succeses; no progress
- Li Wentian - Engineering - 10d+3d+2d: 9 successes; no progress.
- Claude C. Kenni - Science - 10d+3d+2d: 13 succesess; -> Science increases to 4d
- Yanagashira Nadeshiko- Tactical - 10d+1d+2d: Insufficient Dice.

You note you might need to improve your training abilities and get access to some of the advanced training holoprograms for people like Yanagashira or Delirath in their specialties.

Downtime Actions
- Automatic: Why is Starfleet Medical upset with me so much?
In the end, you couldn't drag any of your officers into a situation between you and Starfleet Command, Medical.

But it turned out to be something simple and infuriating. They disagreed with your call, and were upset about it. The second you found that out, you asked Commodore Seymour for help.. who took at it, and after explaining to you what you did wrong, continued. "Personally, I can't fault you for wanting to find the orbital. But I think you should have looked first at orbit. From what you said, you likely wouldn't have been able to rescue anyone."

He seems perplexed. "It's peculiar. Let me get into it, and see if I can figure out what's going on. You need time to grow to be a good Commanding Officer, and so far you've done nothing I can see that should have this kind of thing going on."

- Send Wentian to attend a seminar on experimentation safety

She really needed it, you thought, and the fact it was on a nearby beach resort might help her destress slightly. When she returns, it's clear she took advantage of it, but also wanted to get started on R&D protocols. When you ask, she both blushes and her eyes sparkle:

"I saw a fighter that converted to a yacht. A yacht! ... the pilot was cute too."

Oh no.

- Wentian has asked for someone who can help her with her "experiments", and you need a new Assistant Chief Engineering Officer anyway. [Medium, removes Complication rolls from Wentian's experiments, more likely to catch negative effects.]
(Command (You and Janeway) => vs 4 successes => [10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4, 2]; 8 successes, 2 Bonus Effects]

You find a Lieutenant Junior Grade Vishi Zh'viathon, who is between postings. Her record comes strongly encouraged, and she seems excited, even downright happy to join a ship with such a known experimenter.

She does take the notes about needing to keep Wentian focused, and she's pleasantly surprised when Wentian brings it up to her again, admitting she can get lost in the rush and joy of experimentation and invention.

(Vishi adds +1 generic R&D die)

- Assist in R&D Writeups. [Medium, will mean your next ship starts automatically with any successful R&D initiatives, +1d R&D Progress]
(Command+Intelligence+Training+Ship Training=>12d, 4 successes needed => 8 successes, Bonus Effect]

(Gain +1 success to everything, Crew Morale increases to +1d)

You find these pretty soothing to work with. It helps you often get to talk to a lot of your crew in it, who seem to take cheer from seeing their Commanding Officer work in the trenches as it is.

- Send your officers to a seminar on [skill] (Guaranteed +1 rank. One take per officer): Talonis - Security (Talonis can't be trained now until the rest of the senior staff has attended a seminar.)
- Send Yanagashira on an Engineering Development Course. (Yanagashira can't be trained now until the rest of the senior staff has attended a seminar.)

Talonis +1 Security, Yanagashira +1 Engineering

Yanagashira seemed to enjoy it, even though you had to deal with some angry comments from the people running it, which stopped the second Nechayev stepped in and issued several reprimands to staff and participants.

Say what you will about her, she had no tolerance for this at all.

You suspect Yanagashira had to learn early what you did - how to avoid upset, angry, or jealous people.

R&D
- Wentian, Talonis, Delarinous, Janeway: Develop the Type-7C Shuttlecraft. (Add default weapons, increased impulse speed, more armor. Slightly better comforts. [11 successes]
Dice: 20d+3d (Talonis Operations)+3d(Janeway Intelligence+3d(Delarinous Security)+10d (Wentian Engineering+Ship R&D)=>39d+1s vs 11 succeses / Short Time => 29 successes, 4 Bonus Effects

The four had fun building this, from what you hear, but what has impressed many, the -C variant is a mission pod one, allowing it to mount either: enhanced sensors, a torpedo launcher with the capability of 3 torpedoes, or a shield module.

The mission pod is an obvious weakness in combat, but from discussing it with them, they had a lot of notes, simulations, and improvements they needed time to iterate on, but they present to you the concept of a 'runabout', a larger shuttle that could be added to stations, or a larger ship. You know the carriers in the fleet would love it, starbases would love it, and an Akira-class could actually keep one AND a few shuttles. It's something to think about for later. Not to mention before they could micronize it, a larger version could lead to a Type 8.. but you're honest with yourself. You're likely to get a -7D and a "Wentian Wants Zoom".

You could have sworn she was arguing you should call them Type 7 Lan Evo, but it lost in the argument.

The -C variant though represented a leap forward, and you immediately asked if they could replace all of the Type 6s with the Type 7Cs. The Starbase yoinks the feature, and you actually see letters of commendation come to them, as well as a Ribbon of Innovation for all involved. You even get a nice letter of thank-you as well!

[Bonus Effects: +stats, roll of the CX options into the Elbe, Elbe requires 8 less successes, kudos all around]
[You now have 4 Type-7C Shuttlecraft. ]

Stats
* Shields: Shield Grid Mk VIs: 1d [15 SP]
* Hull: Duranium Alloy 150: 1d [20 HP]
* Agility: 6d
* Speed: 1d [Shuttle Warp Chart: Max Warp 2.1, Emergency Warp: 2.5 for 6 hours]
* Sensors: 3d
* Comfort: 2d
* Cargo: 1d
* Traits: Small, Agile, Can Operate Well In Atmosphere
* Weapons: 1d
** Mark VIIs Phaser - Accuracy: 2d, Damage: 6, Traits: Rapid Fire
** Photon Torpedo Mk. VIIs - Accuracy: 2d, Damage: 9. Traits: Slow Fire. [Capacity: Very Limited]

Starfleet sends no writeup of it, but the speed they're doing full trials and tests to try and improve it is proof positive they like the design. Which.. considering every shuttle variant of the last twenty years that wasn't just a "replace part with superior part" has come from fed up crews makes you think this is policy.

-Delarinous, Janeway: Probe Mk XI (probes upgraded for better armor, thrusters, and sensor reach.) [6 successes, cut down by Ep.2 usage] 10d
[10d+6d (Tactical R&D)+5d(Janeway Science)+2d (Delarinous Strategy)=>23d+1s vs 6s => 19 successes, 3 bonus effects]

They spend some time working on the probe body, and come to a number of interesting discoveries about them, the torpedo body they share commonalities with, and the launchers.

Gain *Probe Mk XI.

[Starfleet R&D will comment in 4 turns.]
[Bonus Effects: Auto-deployed, +stats, +addition of Torpedo Launcher Type 40 to the R&D option]

- Nana, Janeway: Modernize Sickbay. (+1d Health, Resilience Improved, gain auto reroll of critical failures.) [5 successes (Command)](Politics Roll) - 10d -> 13 success, One Bonus Effect

Janeway and Nana spend some time getting approvals, and installing new equipment - better biomonitors, a few proper surgery tables, and regeneration covers. The sickbay is rearranged to assist in getting people help sooner, and a pair of rooms next door unused is coverted into an emergency sickbay and left offline until needed.

Delarnious contributes by adding in additional force-fields and secondary power supplies, enabling sickbay to retain emergency power to life maintaining devices. The fact they can be converted to defense in the case of ship invasion is a nice bonus.

The writeup gets a lot of attention, and honestly, you feel kinda worried and happy that many ships are seeing you as one of the leaders in improvement.

It's an artifact of the war, you know, and likely Starfleet Engineering and R&D wouldn't have approved this program to have ships contribute experiments if they had so-called testbed ships, but they have them now, it's just a matter of finding a good and secure place for them.

Personally, though, it gets Medical off your back.

[Gain +1d Health, Resilience, auto-reroll of all 1s. In addition, the USS Creirwy gains the trait "Prepared Emergency Sickbay, Sickbay Fortified"]

You recieve a notice from Starfleet Personnel:
"Commander Parhai, SF239-12-881, COMMANDING OFFICER, USS Creirwy, NCC-12483

This is to inform you that your officers,

ENSIGN Claude C. Kenni, SF 190-00-481, SCIENCE DIVISION
LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADE Eika Talonis, SF 144-45-912, OPERATIONS DIVISION

have been promoted by ONE (1) GRADE. In addition, on reviewing your reports, we concur that

LIEUTENANT Yanagashira Nadeshiko, SF 939-99-1391*, TACTICAL DIVISION
LIEUTENANT Araiathi Dalirath, RSE 1X9C19A09QH**, SCIENCE COMMAND
LIEUTENANT Li Wentian, SF 121-45-193, ENGINEERING DIVISION

have met minimum qualifications to be promoted. Starfleet Command, at this time, denies the promotions. Reasons follow:

LIEUTENANT Yanagashira: Does not meet qualifications based on previous reports for promotion-in-time requirements.
LIEUTENANT Dalirath: Can not meet minimum security requirements. Command strongly recommends the selection of another Chief Science Officer.[1]
LIEUTENANT Wentian: Too soon to letter of reprimand. Command expresses confidence she should be eligible in Q2 2353."

You note with some irritation there's no positive note on Yanagashira, and you resign yourself to talking to Nechayev again. You scan the notes, and you find yourself cursing for a moment as you read the notes after noting with relief most of the crew promotions were approved.

"* Due to requiring... forms and information... IDN is longer than normal.
** Foreign nationals contain their IDN from their service branch
[1] There is substantial unrest in Command and Personnel over so many troublesome appointees, but Security will flat out block any non naturalized citizen in such a position for long"

You may have gotten more popular, but they are clearly doubleguessing you severely, and while you found yourself in agreement a bit about Dalirath, you also wanted to send her back as well as you could.

The program between the RSE and Federation was working well, but they wanted to change it a bit, as friction like this happened enough that the two nations agreed that it might be best to do patrol groups with ships of both sides, rather than this officer exchange.

Still, before you broke the news to them, you felt like getting a drink on the station.

When you get there, Commander Eisen was talking with an officer enthusiastically, and she waved you over, seeing your expression.

"Commander Parhai, this is Captain Picard. The Stargazer is being temporarily seconded to our task force to deal with the pirate syndicate."

You bow, remembering the shock of this captain making captain at age 33, but even in his older ship, he hadn't gotten it destroyed, even in some of the worse clashes in the Cardassian Liberation War. "Pleasure to meet you, Captain Picard. I am Dati Parhai, Commanding Officer of the Creirwy."

He smiles, his accent a reminder of his heritage. "Well met. I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Stargazer. I understood you found the syndicate?"

You nod. "It was a lucky shot by our Tactical Officer. Analysis suggests we'd have struggled to take all three on. She played her cards well."

"A good Tactical Officer is worth their weight in latnium." He nods. "What brings you here?"

You sigh, remembering the memo. "I wanted a drink before I started working up an argument for the Admiral." The two wince in sympathy. You briefly explain the memo to them, and they turn pensive a bit.

"Well. I understand their perspective, and you should be to get through to Nechayev - she's never not been fair." Picard comments, then frowns. "It is peculiar that Personnel is doing this, though. Captain Gladys is well known for that, and I think they might be hiding behind the letter of the regulation. I don't think you can do much for your Science Officer, though. I know she doesn't like the program. Still, you could approach Whately about it. He's made it a bit of a crusade to get Personnel to stop playing these games."

You could, but he's no longer your direct supervisor.. so it'd be stepping on some toes.

Eisen shakes her head. "I think you might be best off actually asking Seymour and Nechayev for help. I know both actually strongly detest Personnel's tendency to listen to certain people too much. It'll cause some waves though."

Picard, adds, thoughtfully. "You could ask JAG. The JAG here is pretty good at giving you ways to get around Personnel. You could just ignore it."

You smile bitterly. "I know that doesn't work, Captain. And.." You smile impishly for a second. "An officer I greatly admire gave a quest lecture once, where he said, 'The First Duty of any Starfleet Officer is to the Truth'."

Picard is taken aback for a second, then breaks out into a genuine laugh. "I'm glad it left a memory on cadets. But your officer - Yanagashira, right? - may wish not to be made an example of."

The next day, you talk to the three separatly, and Dalirath smiles, but shakes her head.

"I knew this was limited, Commander. I do appreciate it, but I can advocate for myself." She says. "I'd focus on Yanagashira myself. I don't think I need to tell you, were I a power that wanted a lever against the Federation, the way they're treated is.. quite effective."

You mull her words over.

Wentian seems unconcerned but relieved that her mistake hasn't killed her career, and Yanagashira.. has the expression that she expected this, but was surprised you tried and told her. When you ask what she'd prefer, she smiles for a second, then responds with all levity gone.

"It's not just me, Commander Parhai. It's those that follow. I cannot ask you to fight my battles.. but I can express I will fight any battle that comes my way, for those that can't, for those that will follow."

The more you hear about Captain Gladys, the more you wonder about her, honestly. Yanagashira is the ideal example of her division, and she gave middling to negative reviews? Really?

That said, all of them agree you shouldn't wait, and you call in Ensign Kenni, and promote him, and his stuttering shock is.. well, ah, to be a young Ensign again.

Talonis takes it stoically, but comments - "I had faith, Commander, that you would fight for us." From a Vulcan, that's .. quite a compliment. "My sincerest thanks."

What do you do?
[ ] Go with Seymour and Nechayev. It'll keep your direct commanders happy, but their method will cause waves in Command. But it'd lead to more fair treatment in Starfleet. It just takes one person, after all. (-Political Rep)(May cause concerns with the Federation Assembly and Council)
[ ] Go with Whately. It'll upset your direct commanders, but he knows how to move behind the scenes. The cause will not be aided by causing waves so soon after the War, you think. (-Political Rep)(Expect your direct commanders to be unhelpful)
[ ] Go with JAG. Everyone will be neutral, and it's unlikely to lead to change, but you'll know exactly how to get Nadeshiko to Lieutenant Commander. (Nadeshiko can be promoted next episode end with Wentian)
[ ] Go to the Federation Assembly. Your rep is friendly to the cause of equality and equity (and you know this personally, from your shared youth), and the rep for Scorpio Theta is the rep for Cascadia. You *will* annoy Command. (--Political Rep) (... Nechayev will understand, but very few others will.) [This will make one of your negative traits worse, but give you a positive trait as well.]

You've got a few days, pick two personal downtime actions:
- [] Walk the ship, get to know your crew
- [] Try and contact home.
- [] Spend some time singing some old favorites
- [] Pick up a hobby [WRITE-IN]
- [] Go for some sports and other such workouts.

Notes: Rolling forward, I'm thinking of limiting total dice available to any one project to be *no more than* 3 times the number of succesess. Also, since it's not obvious which skill is being applied, that'll start next R&D period.. (which, ironically, is probably only 5 turns away.). This phase does mark which is applied.

Well damn. That's alot to take in but I'm looking at all these options and the only safe bet is to Go with JAG. Go with Whately is too risky with less reward in my opinion because of our direct commanders which sucks. So that leaves Seymour and Nechayev and Federation Assembly but I don't remember our Traits(Good and Bad) so unless I can think it's worth it. I'm gonna go with Seymour and Nechayev. As for personal downtime. I'm thinking
- [] Pick up a hobby [WRITE-IN]

I dont know what hobby we could take. What does Starfleet Captains do as a hobby?

Traits are marked in the informational trademark in the sheets.

Sisko was cooking, baseball. Janeway was reading and apparently dogs. Picard had archeology, music, etc

Archer was polo.

[X] Go to the Federation Assembly. Your rep is friendly to the cause of equality and equity (and you know this personally, from your shared youth), and the rep for Scorpio Theta is the rep for Cascadia. You *will* annoy Command. (--Political Rep) (... Nechayev will understand, but very few others will.)
- [x] Walk the ship, get to know your crew
- [x] Pick up a hobby [Singing]

I love star terk cause people try to do the right thing, trying to make things better for all

Last edited:
[ ] Go with JAG. Everyone will be neutral, and it's unlikely to lead to change, but you'll know exactly how to get Nadeshiko to Lieutenant Commander. (Nadeshiko can be promoted next episode end with Wentian)
- [] Spend some time singing some old favorites

So I think the cap like singing, she was a star for it and all but, also it hard making plans on a phone

Fair and same. It sucks but it's all I got. Phones are better than no phone

So let's start voting but just to be clear. We agree on this
[x] Go with JAG. Everyone will be neutral, and it's unlikely to lead to change, but you'll know exactly how to get Nadeshiko to Lieutenant Commander. (Nadeshiko can be promoted next episode end with Wentian)

Last edited:
I want to note that going with JAG also has a downside. The background trait is not negative although that's because it's a hint there was something negative.
That's to say: every option has a positive and a negative

Last edited:
[x] Go with JAG. Everyone will be neutral, and it's unlikely to lead to change, but you'll know exactly how to get Nadeshiko to Lieutenant Commander. (Nadeshiko can be promoted next episode end with Wentian)

Due to.. homework? I may not be able to do accelerated writing anyway. I'm actually working on some sheet stuff for Starbase 315 since it's your homebase.

Starbase 315 Information

Starbase 315
Sector Rimward-Nine-Five HQ

Sector CO: Rear Admiral Alanna Nechayev
Station CO: Commodore Seymour
A spacedock+logistics hub for the Federation's expansion into the neighboring sectors, as well as the colonies here, Starbase 315 has kept an upgrade pace due to the nearby First Federation, as well as Da Vinci, Scorpio Theta, and Cascadian systems, which are either vague threats, potent powers, or major economic drivers of the Federation.

Military Rating: Good
Logistics Rating: Good
Civilian Rating: OK
JAG Attache: Captain Halloran

Personnel: 15000
Attached Ship: USS Kiribati, New Orleans-class Frigate.

Back