Whatever Remains: Ash like Snow

Hey, is being a freelance merc possible, or would that be off limits?

Also, the PP-7D Compact SMG uses the pistol skill to fire, right?

Also-also, can I get a price check on a gas-mask, or could I count a (possibly broken) metal gas mask as makeshift armor?

Last edited:
Added some explosives, weapon mods and medkits.

@Wabbajack4Life @Nox @StormLord @MysteriousOldGuy
You guys still in on this? (It's only been like, a day. So I may be overreacting but hey, figured I'd make sure. :p )

@DannyboyZero
As for traps, with a high enough mechanics roll, you can probably make some traps out of grenades or even just sticks.

(There's plenty of those in the northwest :D)
Me too, sorry been distracted with stuff.
EDIT: seconding a sniper rifle (or is that the long rifle?), C-4 (mainly for the remote det, although maybe the setting means we need to make do with grenades for now?), and silencers / suppressors (or is this not mundane enough?).
There was an XCOM RP that used this ruleset I think. It never got past the chargen stage, but I'll go dig it up and see what I had planned out then.
EDIT2: I was going to be a scout/sniper with mind powers! :D need to review the rules on a less crappy computer tomorrow. Also curious what groups the others plan to be. I want friends allies non-antagonistic acquaintances who won't shoot me!

Last edited:

Also-also, can I get a price check on a gas-mask, or could I count a (possibly broken) metal gas mask as makeshift armor?
Being freelance is ok. You get 40 tickets to spend, but no special weapons.

A pp-7? Hmmmm.... I could probably write up some stats for that. It would use a skill called "submachine gun" though (which I will add to the list presently. *facepalm* man, why didn't I think of submachine guns?!)

Yeah, I'll let you skin some makeshift armor as a gas-mask.

(It might even work too.)

EDIT: seconding a sniper rifle (or is that the long rifle?), C-4 (mainly for the remote det, although maybe the setting means we need to make do with grenades for now?), and silencers / suppressors (or is this not mundane enough?).
There was an XCOM RP that used this ruleset I think. It never got past the chargen stage, but I'll go dig it up and see what I had planned out then.
EDIT2: I was going to be a scout/sniper with mind powers! :D need to review the rules on a less crappy computer tomorrow. Also curious what groups the others plan to be. I want friends allies non-antagonistic acquaintances who won't shoot me!
Long rifle with a scope is the closest you can get to a sniper without a faction that specializes in snipers, sorry.

C-4......I don't think I'm going to add that to the list. If you want, with a high enough mechanics check you could alter some grenades, or find c4 later, but not right at the start.

Suppressor a should be ok. I can add those.

added suppressor and smg, along with smg skill

Rex Donnor
Name: Rex Donner
Height: 6'1'
Weight: 200lb
Mercenary Company: Disciple of Menci
Appearance:
Dirty blonde hair shaved on the sides and back, short and slicked back on top. Predominantly green eyes with brown flecks. Fit musculature with various scars and burns from his childhood. He is however, shortsighted. Jokes about having a monocle.
Background:
An orphan who grew up in a combat-heavy zone and found refuge in the Disciples of Menci in his teen years, Rex is a strong believer and is one of their frontline fighters. His force of personality and charisma make him a popular leader and a terrifying enemy, and the Disciples have used this as much as they could to try to offset their equipment deficit.

Body: 2
Coordination: 2
Sense: 1
Brains: 1 (Delegation is Love)
Command: 4
Cool: 2

Skills
Athletics 1
Endurance 3
Health 1
Pistols 5
Inspire 1
Intimidate 5
Leadership 3
Mental Stability 1 (+4)

Inventory:
Amulet of Menci
Revolver (25t)

Health:
Head(10): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Left arm (3-4): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Right arm (5-6): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Right leg(1): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Left leg(2) : [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Body(7-9): [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Name: Rex Donner
Height: 6'1'
Weight: 200lb
Mercenary Company: Disciple of Menci
Appearance:
Dirty blonde hair shaved on the sides and back, short and slicked back on top. Predominantly green eyes with brown flecks. Fit musculature with various scars and burns from his childhood. He is however, shortsighted. Jokes about having a monocle.
Background:
An orphan who grew up in a combat-heavy zone and found refuge in the Disciples of Menci in his teen years, Rex is a strong believer and is one of their frontline fighters. His force of personality and charisma make him a popular leader and a terrifying enemy, and the Disciples have used this as much as they could to try to offset their equipment deficit.

Brains: 1 (Delegation is Love)
Command: 4

Skills
Athletics 1
Endurance 3
Health 1
Pistols 5
Inspire 1
Intimidate 5
Leadership 3
Mental Stability 1 (+4)

Inventory:
Amulet of Menci
Revolver (25t)

Health:
APPROVED

James Macdonnel
Name: James Macdonnel
Height: 6'2
Weight: 144 lbs
Mercenary company: Disciples of Menci
Appearance: Unhealthily thin with a pale complex that would not be out of place in a old-world magazine, James cuts the figure of a scarecrow with the wild hair that flows down his scalp like straw. The most notable features of his being two missing teeth on the left side of his jaw, replaced with iron that has the symbol of Menci crudely carved onto them. His eyes are a dull brown and his nose is slightly crooked, likely from some blow in his past. His faces is almost always stretched tautly with a smile that is a bit too wide and the eyes of a fanatic.
Background: Born to a boring family in a boring town along the Portland-Seattle border, James became known for his tinkering and odd ideas about the world. Life was monotonous as he made his living repairing the junk that his neighbors broke or that the trading caravans brought for him along their route. Then the Browncoats came. He remembers the sight of half of his village burning while the other half fought bravely to stop the damned raiders who fought like wolves. He remembers the sight of the Disciples of Menci flowing through their town's gates like angels come from heaven itself. He still doesn't know why they suddenly decided to detour to their village or how they came at one of the most opportune moments. Most of the village was destroyed along with their grain stores pillaged but his family remained and the Disciples wanted nothing but thanks for it. James joined up with them on the spot and has called their ranks his family for many years though he does still send the occasional pay-ticket back to his real family. Seems eager to bring the faith to a new continent though he is not happy that the Browncoats will be joining them along this journey.

Brains: 4
Command: 1
Cool: 1

Skills:
Tactics x4
Language x2
Mechanics x2
Navigation (Land) x2
Education x1
First Aid x1
Mental Stability (Free x4)
Rifles x3
Pistols x1
See x1
Athletics x1
Endurance x1
Health x1

Health:

Current inventory:
Amulet of Menci
Long Rifle (25t)

Last edited:
Appearance: Unhealthily thin with a pale complex that would not be out of place in a old-world magazine, James cuts the figure of a scarecrow with the wild hair that flows down his scalp like straw. The most notable features of his being two missing teeth on the left side of his jaw, replaced with iron that has the symbol of Menci crudely carved onto them. His eyes are a dull brown and his nose is slightly crooked, likely from some blow in his past. His faces is almost always stretched tautly with a smile that is a bit too wide and the eyes of a fanatic.
Background: Born to a boring family in a boring town along the Portland-Seattle border, James became known for his tinkering and odd ideas about the world. Life was monotonous as he made his living repairing the junk that his neighbors broke or that the trading caravans brought for him along their route. Then the Browncoats came. He remembers the sight of half of his village burning while the other half fought bravely to stop the damned raiders who fought like wolves. He remembers the sight of the Disciples of Menci flowing through their town's gates like angels come from heaven itself. He still doesn't know why they suddenly decided to detour to their village or how they came at one of the most opportune moments. Most of the village was destroyed along with their grain stores pillaged but his family remained and the Disciples wanted nothing but thanks for it. James joined up with them on the spot and has called their ranks his family for many years though he does still send the occasional pay-ticket back to his real family. Seems eager to bring the faith to a new continent though he is not happy that the Browncoats will be joining them along this journey.

Skills:
Tactics x4
Language x2
Mechanics x2
Navigation (Land) x2
Cryptography x1
First Aid x1
Rifles x3
Pistols x1
See x1
Athletics x1
Endurance x1
Health x1

Health:

Current inventory:
Amulet of Menci
Long Rifle (25t)
APPROVED

Quick question:
The long scope requires the dynamic slide rail. Some of the special weapons have that, but does the long rifle? (I didn't see it noted specifically)
Thanks!

No, currently the long rifle does not have it, but you know what? So we can have an actual sniper I'll give it one.

Just because I like you guys so much :D

Skills:
Tactics x4
Language x2
Mechanics x2
Navigation (Land) x2
Cryptography x1
First Aid x1
Rifles x3
Pistols x1
See x1
Athletics x1
Endurance x1
Health x1

Health:

Current inventory:
Amulet of Menci
Long Rifle (25t)
CULT BUDDIES!

RECIEVE THE FINAL MERCY!

To think, we do what we do mostly out of the goodnes of our hearts and demand nothing in return except for–perhaps–a thank you! Mercy me!

I'm not sure we're supposed to be "burn the heretic" level of fanatic though. My impression was benevolent and accepting, though that interpretation could be wrong.

@Dust and echoes ?

RECIEVE THE FINAL MERCY!

To think, we do what we do mostly out of the goodnes of our hearts and demand nothing in return except for–perhaps–a thank you! Mercy me!

I'm not sure we're supposed to be "burn the heretic" level of fanatic though. My impression was benevolent and accepting, though that interpretation could be wrong.

@Dust and echoes ?
Both exist in the religion, so you can be whichever type you choose.

Think of it like different branches of the Christian church, aka Episcopalian and Lutheran.

Also, "Deliver the final mercy" is now a canon battle cry.

Wait wait wait....

You were talking about the special weapon for the Azure Skies battalion right?

And I thought you wanted a whole different SMG! Man, I must have been tired earlier, sorry about that.

Anyway, yeah it uses the submachine gun stat.

No, currently the long rifle does not have it, but you know what? So we can have an actual sniper I'll give it one.

Just because I like you guys so much :D
Ah, now that I've read through the material more closely, I've noticed that the "mundane" weapons in the store generally don't have the dynamic rail (which makes sense if they're not very high quality), and that the "cheap scope" doesn't require the dynamic rail. Which makes sense if they're just using duct tape to attach the makeshift scope to a non-specialized weapon. You can revert it back if you'd like to preserve the flavoring; I'll just need to pick a specialized weapon if I want to play sniper.

Something I'd like to clarify is how ammo, spray, aiming, and called shots work in conjunction. If I'm using the TK-48 AR (spray d3, ammo 5/20) does that mean each "spray" of bullets consumes 5 bullets out of the clip? (can I shoot more than X bullets per "spray"?)
If Coord+Rifle = 5, and I spend 1 round aiming, and then the next round I call a shot for a headshot (with spray?), would the dice roll be:
5d + 3d (spray) + 1d (aiming) - 1d (called shot) - 1d (set to "10" for headshot) = 7d?
If the TK-48 had a cheap scope attached (+1 to aimed and called shots), are those bonuses stacked? i.e.,
5d + 3d (spray) + 2d (aiming + cheap scope) - 0d (called shot cancelled by cheap scope) - 1d (set to "10" for headshot) = 9d?
If the TK-48 somehow had multiple bonuses to aiming and called shots, would those be cumulative or only apply once?

EDIT: Do grenades fall under Body+Thrown or Coordination+Launcher or something else? What about throwing knives?

Lastly, how often do our salaries get paid? :D

Last edited:
Ah, now that I've read through the material more closely, I've noticed that the "mundane" weapons in the store generally don't have the dynamic rail (which makes sense if they're not very high quality), and that the "cheap scope" doesn't require the dynamic rail. Which makes sense if they're just using duct tape to attach the makeshift scope to a non-specialized weapon. You can revert it back if you'd like to preserve the flavoring; I'll just need to pick a specialized weapon if I want to play sniper.

Something I'd like to clarify is how ammo, spray, aiming, and called shots work in conjunction. If I'm using the TK-48 AR (spray d3, ammo 5/20) does that mean each "spray" of bullets consumes 5 bullets out of the clip? (can I shoot more than X bullets per "spray"?)
If Coord+Rifle = 5, and I spend 1 round aiming, and then the next round I call a shot for a headshot (with spray?), would the dice roll be:
5d + 3d (spray) + 1d (aiming) - 1d (called shot) - 1d (set to "10" for headshot) = 7d?
If the TK-48 had a cheap scope attached (+1 to aimed and called shots), are those bonuses stacked? i.e.,
5d + 3d (spray) + 2d (aiming + cheap scope) - 0d (called shot cancelled by cheap scope) - 1d (set to "10" for headshot) = 9d?
If the TK-48 somehow had multiple bonuses to aiming and called shots, would those be cumulative or only apply once?

This.

Though to get the bonus on called shots and aiming you remove the spray I believe, as an alternate firing mode. Otherwise I would think the bonuses for called and aim would stack.

This was actually my alternative build (along with mechanics bc crafting), and with godlike being the way it is, I'm prepared for a mook to get lucky and kill my dude–so at least I'll have a backup!

EDIT: Do grenades fall under Body+Thrown or Coordination+Launcher or something else? What about throwing knives?

You are correct and those bonus's and debuffs all stack.

So if you had coordination 3 and smg 2, you would have a base of 5 dice.
Then let's say you're using a pp-7 that has spray 4, so you add 4 more dice. Your dice pool is now 9. Then you spend two turns aiming (because this is an example) and, because of the pp-7's debuff to aiming, you get one dice.
Then you do a called shot to the head, which subtracts a dice (and a second dice for the pp-7's debuff) and then turn a third dice to 10.
Now you are rolling 6 dice.
Regardless as to wether you hit or not, you have expended 5 bullets from your clip/magazine. Once the clip/magazine is empty you need to spend a turn to reload.

You mentioned switching fire modes. Currently the only weapon that can do that is the special rifle for the Ash brigade.

Grenades use body + thrown.

You get your salary paid once in the beginning, though if you survive the expedition you will theoretically be paid a ton of money(tickets)

Hadrian Salamo
Hrmm, I think I'll take a stab at this one.

Name: Hadrian Salamo.
Height: 5 ft 11 in.
Weight: 160 lb
Mercenary company: Private Adventurer
Appearance:

(So far, he hasn't taken the mask off. It's cosmetic though, no use as a rebreather. At least by now.)
Background: Not the most healthy of young men, and very well educated, it was surprising when Hadrian decided to join a mercenary group. The about fifty man band, the Wandering Templars, agreed to take him in when he showed that he was a crack shot. After a few years of service, often helping those in need and getting what money they could, the group disbanded from a lack of need on the first anniversary of Vanguard "Enlightenment". Some went with the Disciples, some went with the Ash Brigade, and a few settled down to try and lead a civilian life. But Hadrian went on the lonely road of being a private adventurer. Using his education and minor mechanical knowledge to help settlements, and skirmishing with bandits and even some Browncoats, Hadrian has built up a minor reputation over the last two years. Go through a certain path down the south east of the former US, and you might just hear some tales of the Lone Wanderer.

Body: 1
Brains: 5

Skills:
Education 5 ("I know quite a lot of things.")
Rifles 5 ("I'm good at shooting, what can I say.")
Tactics 2 ("I'm a merc. Of course I can set up an ambush.")
Navigation (Land) 1 ("Need to know where you're going as a loner.")
Mechanics(repair, weapon/armor care) 2 ("I've learned how to care of my equipment. I kinda had to.")
Mental Stability 3 ("I don't get fazed easily.")
See 1 ("Hardly got eagle eyes, but I can spot things well enough.")
Endurance 1 ("I can walk a bit more than the average,")

Health:

Current inventory:

Long rifle

width +1 killing
width in shock
range:50/100
ammo: 1/5
ap1
Dynamic slide rail
-9 Magazines of Ammo. 1 shot fired.
+Cheap Scope
+10/+10 range
+1 bonus dice to called shots and aiming

Flip Lighter
can be used to light fires

Water Purification tablets(5)
purifies one serving of water

One (1) Pistol Magazine

So yeah. Debated on the exact skill layout, but I have something I can work with. I specialized for someone who is mostly self-sufficient, except I added 5 points of education because why not. Originally had 2 Tactics 1 Mechanics, but I swapped them around because that made slightly more sense with my background. And in either case most of it is coming from my lel worthy 5 Brain. 10 dice on education rolls. Not really useful, but still. Substituting a 1 See for a not shit Sense stat, so I can at least notice things with my eyes.

EDIT: Dropped Education to 4, and upped Tactics back to 2. Now I don't have to debate Tac v Mech! Also swapped the AR for a Long Rifle and Cheap Scope. Better to have range when the killing is similar and I rock a 7d base dicepool for rifles.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, again with flavor in mind I dropped Nav to 1 to get Edu back up to 5. You'd need basic knowledge of direction, but as a wanderer not in depth knowledge. And I still have a 6d dicepool for land Nav because again, Brain 5. It's lel.

Last edited:
Hrmm, I think I'll take a stab at this one.

Name: Hadrian Salamo.
Height: 5 ft 11 in.
Weight: 160 lb
Mercenary company: Private Adventurer
Appearance:

(So far, he hasn't taken the mask off. It's cosmetic though, no use as a rebreather. At least by now.)
Background: Not the most healthy of young men, and very well educated, it was surprising when Hadrian decided to join a mercenary group. The about fifty man band, the Wandering Templars, agreed to take him in when he showed that he was a crack shot. After a few years of service, often helping those in need and getting what money they could, the group disbanded from a lack of need on the first anniversary of Vanguard "Enlightenment". Some went with the Disciples, some went with the Ash Brigade, and a few settled down to try and lead a civilian life. But Hadrian went on the lonely road of being a private adventurer. Using his education and minor mechanical knowledge to help settlements, and skirmishing with bandits and even some Browncoats, Hadrian has built up a minor reputation over the last two years. Go through a certain path down the south east of the former US, and you might just hear some tales of the Lone Wanderer.

Body: 1
Brains: 5

Skills:
Education 5 ("I know quite a lot of things.")
Rifles 5 ("I'm good at shooting, what can I say.")
Tactics 2 ("I'm a merc. Of course I can set up an ambush.")
Navigation (Land) 1 ("Need to know where you're going as a loner.")
Mechanics(repair, weapon/armor care) 2 ("I've learned how to care for my equipment. I kinda had to")
Mental Stability 3 ("I don't get fazed easily.")
See 1 ("Hardly got eagle eyes, but I can spot things well enough.")
Endurance 1 ("I can walk a bit more than the average,")

Health:

Current inventory:

Long rifle

width +1 killing
width in shock
range:50/100
ammo: 1/5
ap1
Dynamic slide rail
-10 Magazines of Ammo
+Cheap Scope
+10/+10 range
+1 bonus dice to called shots and aiming

Flip Lighter
can be used to light fires

Water Purification tablets(5)
purifies one serving of water

So yeah. Debated on the exact skill layout, but I have something I can work with. I specialized for someone who is mostly self-sufficient, except I added 5 points of education because why not. Originally had 2 Tactics 1 Mechanics, but I swapped them around because that made slightly more sense with my background. And in either case most of it is coming from my lel worthy 5 Brain. 10 dice on education rolls. Not really useful, but still. Substituting a 1 See for a not shit Sense stat, so I can at least notice things with my eyes.

EDIT: Dropped Education to 4, and upped Tactics back to 2. Now I don't have to debate Tac v Mech! Also swapped the AR for a Long Rifle and Cheap Scope. Better to have range when the killing is similar and I rock a 7d base dicepool for rifles.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, again with flavor in mind I dropped Nav to 1 to get Edu back up to 5. You'd need basic knowledge of direction, but as a wanderer not in depth knowledge. And I still have a 6d dicepool for land Nav because again, Brain 5. It's lel.
APPROVED

(And don't think I didn't catch that Fallout reference ;) )

Last edited:
Working on the (rough draft of the) IC, but just waiting for a few more CS's before we start.

Any lore questions? I've got a pretty empty day at school tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to answer them :p

Working on the (rough draft of the) IC, but just waiting for a few more CS's before we start.

Any lore questions? I've got a pretty empty day at school tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to answer them :p
Last question(s) as I pick out my items, skills, and finish up my character sheet.

Can I be super awesome and attach both a Long Scope and a Reflex Sight on my AR-52D (like in Call of Duty where you tilt the gun 45 degrees to switch over to the second attachment)? :D

Otherwise, how feasible is it to switch between the two in the field?
Same question for putting on and taking off a silencer. Thanks!

EDIT: If I have base Coordination of 5, and use a Reflex Sight (+1 Coordination), does my Coordination dice increase to 6 or am I still capped at max of 5?
If I don't specifically take the Pistol or Launcher skill, can I still use my base Coordination dice to use those weapon types? (I would assume yes, but would like confirmation..)
Lastly, how does the shotgun's "spread" work? I didn't see it in the PDFs.

Last edited:
Last question(s) as I pick out my items, skills, and finish up my character sheet.

Can I be super awesome and attach both a Long Scope and a Reflex Sight on my AR-52D (like in Call of Duty where you tilt the gun 45 degrees to switch over to the second attachment)? :D

Otherwise, how feasible is it to switch between the two in the field?
Same question for putting on and taking off a silencer. Thanks!

EDIT: If I have base Coordination of 5, and use a Reflex Sight (+1 Coordination), does my Coordination dice increase to 6 or am I still capped at max of 5?
If I don't specifically take the Pistol or Launcher skill, can I still use my base Coordination dice to use those weapon types? (I would assume yes, but would like confirmation..)
Lastly, how does the shotgun's "spread" work? I didn't see it in the PDFs.
I would say that-

No, you can't attach two sights to your weapon. We're not getting that tacti-cool yet. :)

Switching between sights would take an action in combat (but you would usually automatically succeed) or a free action out of combat.

Same goes for suppressors.

Yes, weapon modifiers can raise your stats above 5, but only when you are using that weapon (to shoot things in most cases)

Yes, if you don't have a certain skill you can just use your dice pool from the associated base stat.

"Spread" is the same thing as spray. Probably a typo on my part

(And don't think I didn't catch that Fallout reference ;) )
I was considering having an NCR Ranger as my character image, bur decided not to. Because they have armor and stuff.
Yes, if you don't have a certain skill you can just use your dice pool from the associated base stat.
That is massively useful for me. I am now an expert at everything.
"Spread" is the same thing as spray. Probably a typo on my part
Eh, Shotgun spread and AR spray are different things...

Lastly, what does Education actually do as a skill?

Back