Welcome to Japari Park! - Kemono Friends discussion thread

Why did the original producer get axed when plans for a season two begun being talked about, anyway? I mean, the guy evidently did an awesome job seeing as he turned a low-budget CGI anime into something honestly charming and full of heart, with the work of the team under him and all. For him to suddenly not be working on the sequel is... odd.
Sounds like office politics if his team left with him. Which of course is never going to go public if he wants employment anywhere else.

Why did the original producer get axed when plans for a season two begun being talked about, anyway? I mean, the guy evidently did an awesome job seeing as he turned a low-budget CGI anime into something honestly charming and full of heart, with the work of the team under him and all. For him to suddenly not be working on the sequel is... odd.
Some people speculate that the higher ups were butthurt over him releasing that short extra episode 12.1 online when it could have been made a DVD/BR exclusive extra.

No clue on how accurate that is, however.

Ok, so seeing people get angry about the Konami-level dickery convinced me to bump this up on my list to watch. Up to episode 10(Snowy Mountain zone) and...I'm really enjoying it.

It's cute, it's likeable, and the jankiness adds to the charm. Also that opening, I swear I get excited every time so see the Friends appear and gradually watch the whole screen get filled.

Oh and I swear to god I should not have found Moose vs Lion to be half as cool as it was.

Apparently Kadokawa really didn't like him going behind their backs and producing an extra episode without their permission or review. I think it kinda ties into workplace politics of Japan where you have to respect your bosses. However this is pretty stupid because the director and his studio more or less had all the rights to the Kemono Friends license from what I understand, so they had free reign to do what they wanted with the series which included releasing a 12.5 episode.

In short, from my understanding Kadokawa was just really butthurt because the director didn't clear it with them first even though, from what I understand about the situation, they were doing something that was perfectly legal because they had the licensing rights to the series. It seems to be a case of workplace politics and the higher ups getting mad because they felt their authority was threatened by a passionate director who only wanted to please his fans and do work with his team.

This is why something like this is so huge, because for an entire team to publicly give the middle finger to a major figurehead in the industry out of love and brotherhood for one another is practically unheard of in Japan from what I understand.

This is why something like this is so huge, because for an entire team to publicly give the middle finger to a major figurehead in the industry out of love and brotherhood for one another is practically unheard of in Japan from what I understand.

So uh...

I'm not the only one who's thinking about the Power of Friendship now am I?

Don't quote me on this, but from what I heard there was a lot more dickery going on.

Like the rights for the IP being passed on fully expecting the anime to be a flop.

Or Kadokawa demanding the assets from the anime after the 12.5 fiasco.

Or one of the voice actresses from the show being strong armed into saying publically that it was her fault things ended up like this, putting her future prospects in jeopardy. To which fans didn't fall for at all and made the backlash even worse as it became a meme.

I swear every time we get updates on what's going on it just gets worse and worse.

Or one of the voice actresses from the show being strong armed into saying publically that it was her fault things ended up like this, putting her future prospects in jeopardy. To which fans didn't fall for at all and made the backlash even worse as it became a meme.

Wait whaaaaa!?

I mean... if it's Kadokawa I wouldn't be surprised.

The Armored Core 5 RTS Board Game being axed may have had something to do with Kadokawa acquiring the rights to the franchise after Bamco's contract with FromSoft expired and they were hired by Kadokawa. Not at all related to the thread but if Kadokawa's shady behavior is to be believed then it's all entirely possible.

Last edited:
So, here's a minor but interesting one: Sometime in the last few days, Japan got a PPP album. The second track looks to be a full version of the anime's opening theme (it's not quite the same version), while the first track... well, they put up a full MV for it:

Yes, that is indeed the song that plays during the concert in episode... 8. Only now we get the full version, and in live action! Although I'm not sure if that last part is a good thing...

There's also another 10 tracks, but one thing that isn't there is the ending theme.

SEQUEL SERIES! YES! Also a Picross game, which is not something I expected. Hope it launches stateside, cause buying a game off the Japanese eShop is apparently a pain.

And is it just me, or did they improve the animation some?

And is it just me, or did they improve the animation some?
To be fair, it'd be hard to make it worse, seeing as part of the renown of the show was how awkward its CGI was. The other part was the love the creators seemed to have for the product, and I hope this sequel shall have the same thing going for it.

As you seemed to have forgotten to link it, here's the PV.

Wasn't there some sort of agreement going on that no one was going to watch a second season if the original creator didn't come back?

Wasn't there some sort of agreement going on that no one was going to watch a second season if the original creator didn't come back?

Yes. In fact if you look at the youtube video there is massive backlash right now with a huge dislike to like ratio.

Many people are chanting, "No Tatsuki. No tanoshi." Everyone seems to believe that Kadokawa is just trying to milk the series at this point and people are really upset in both the west and the eastern communities.

My best wishes are with the team who has to deal with this.

Part of the backlash is that its seeming like theres no continuity between the 2 seasons so it smells of throwing out everything from s1 and running off the name. Im still probly going to give it a try but Im not expecting a repeat of s1. Still, might be surprised

Part of the backlash is that its seeming like theres no continuity between the 2 seasons so it smells of throwing out everything from s1 and running off the name. Im still probly going to give it a try but Im not expecting a repeat of s1. Still, might be surprised

There's also some really cool nuances with season 1, like the hints of a post apocalyptic setting in the story that is only alluded to which added a lot of depth to the world.

Remember this?
Also a Picross game, which is not something I expected. Hope it launches stateside, cause buying a game off the Japanese eShop is apparently a pain.
Good news on this. It is indeed an actual Picross game by Jupiter (as opposed to being a clone by someone else), and it's launching stateside via the eShop on the 4th. Yayications!

It appears to mostly be a reskin of Picross S2, supposedly with 300 Picross and Mega-Picross puzzles. Also, at least 3 Clip Picross images (although I'd bet on 5 or more). Not bad for $10.

So there is another game being released for Kemono Friends called Kemono Friends Pavillion.

Unfortunately it's not the mobile gatcha game, but is instead a kind of observational game where you leave toys and Japari buns out for the various girls in the park to see their interactions. There is some level of resource collection and game progression, but it seems a lot more focused on just having cute chibis of the characters doing cute things.

I am also getting around to watching the anime and it is immersive as fuck. I actually would not mind living on the abandoned park.

Last edited:
So it also turns out that there is a Kemono Friends RPG being made. Seems like a fan-game but looks very nice.

The creator's Twitter has some more test game footage, including some battles against the Ceruleans.

EDIT: I have also found out that the creator intends to release this game for free once it is done. It appears that it's going to be fully voiced with the cast being fairly reminiscent to the anime vocals. Pretty good voice work overall.

The following video has some more soundtrack from the game as well as sample voice work.

Last edited:
Back