Welcome to Japari Park! - Kemono Friends discussion thread

Huh, so that happened yesterday. Wonder why I didn't get an alert.

Kind of late but are we going to ignore the penguin? Hm, what else happend recently?

...Oh, "Adult Parody Video".

I should've expected this.

Kemono Friends is an interesting series.

It's apparently started the anime project as, one major reason for the anime was to advertise a somewhat obscure web and smart phone game. However the game wasn't popular and the game was canceled and closed right before the anime released.

The anime also had budget issues and so its animation quality wasn't the greatest, but despite that a lot of anime purists and late night hardcore anime fans liked it, which is surprising since relatively poor quality animation is often looked down on highly by many of those fans usually.

Is it selling well in general? I know its selling well for a late night anime, but does it have a general audience fan as well?

I think that a key factor that has helped Kemono Friends' popularity is its appeal to young audiences interested in learning about animals and the natural world. I know that as a child, I loved learning about different species of wildlife and the different habitats they live in across the world. I especially enjoyed media that presented this factual information with a creative flair to keep things interesting. Trouble is, it's really hard finding ones that are creative enough to be interesting yet still take the matter seriously. It's been a serious pet peeve of mine that lots of zoos and the like only have extremely childish stories and videos available, ones that don't actually teach you about nature.

Kemono Friends, on the other hand, is at just the right level for avid young learners. It has a warm, friendly feel to it that makes it kid-friendly, but it doesn't reach a condescending level, instead providing lots of neat, factual tidbits throughout about different animals and environments. I know that if this had been around when I was a kid, I would have loved to watch it. I think that the producers of the anime recognize this, too, as their publicity campaign at the Tobu Zoo demonstrates.

I just really hope that they continue to reach out for that niche when it's exported abroad. For me, an English dub is essential if this is going to be released in America. You see, the different animals of Japari Park identify themselves as their specific species, a nifty way to learn about wildlife. The trouble is, most of the official names for those species have English origins, such as Thompson's Gazelle and Humboldt Penguin. So the Japanese names are generally katakana renderings, such as Saabaru for Serval. This is fine in Japan, but if you try to do the same in the U.S., the difference between the names you hear and the subtitles provided will confuse children and inhibit their engagement in the story. That's why there needs to be an English dub for things to work.

I'm a little worried that this won't happen, though, seeing as it would be an extra expense and the production was already low budget. I'm thinking of trying to contact the Japanese producers as well as U.S. distributors like Viz and Funimation to express my thoughts on the subject, but I'm not sure if they'll listen. What do people here think the best approach to this should be?

Okay, two interesting pieces of news.

First, apparently the show is getting a rebroadcast next season, at a more kid-friendly timeslot on more networks. The timing of this leads me to suspect that this will be the prelude to...

Yeah, this.

Also, apparently there might be a second mobile game in the works; supposedly it's based off of the anime.

I think that a key factor that has helped Kemono Friends' popularity is its appeal to young audiences interested in learning about animals and the natural world. I know that as a child, I loved learning about different species of wildlife and the different habitats they live in across the world. I especially enjoyed media that presented this factual information with a creative flair to keep things interesting. Trouble is, it's really hard finding ones that are creative enough to be interesting yet still take the matter seriously. It's been a serious pet peeve of mine that lots of zoos and the like only have extremely childish stories and videos available, ones that don't actually teach you about nature.

Kemono Friends, on the other hand, is at just the right level for avid young learners. It has a warm, friendly feel to it that makes it kid-friendly, but it doesn't reach a condescending level, instead providing lots of neat, factual tidbits throughout about different animals and environments. I know that if this had been around when I was a kid, I would have loved to watch it. I think that the producers of the anime recognize this, too, as their publicity campaign at the Tobu Zoo demonstrates.

I just really hope that they continue to reach out for that niche when it's exported abroad. For me, an English dub is essential if this is going to be released in America. You see, the different animals of Japari Park identify themselves as their specific species, a nifty way to learn about wildlife. The trouble is, most of the official names for those species have English origins, such as Thompson's Gazelle and Humboldt Penguin. So the Japanese names are generally katakana renderings, such as Saabaru for Serval. This is fine in Japan, but if you try to do the same in the U.S., the difference between the names you hear and the subtitles provided will confuse children and inhibit their engagement in the story. That's why there needs to be an English dub for things to work.

I'm a little worried that this won't happen, though, seeing as it would be an extra expense and the production was already low budget. I'm thinking of trying to contact the Japanese producers as well as U.S. distributors like Viz and Funimation to express my thoughts on the subject, but I'm not sure if they'll listen. What do people here think the best approach to this should be?

appeal to young audiences

That's true, but it also seems to have a somewhat considerable otaku following of older. I wonder how that ties in?
Young people don't usually use the Internet to promote stuff online, so I doubt young people influenced older people to watch it, unless they were a younger sibling or child who watched it with their sibling or parent or other adult friend or family member.

Grape-kun died, then?
BBC article:
Article:
News From Elsewhere
Japanese zoo mourns anime-loving celebrity penguin
By News from Elsewhere...
...as found by BBC Monitoring

3 hours ago

Grape (L) and Hululu (R): A match made in heaven

A celebrity penguin, which made international headlines after forming an attachment to a cardboard cut-out in a Japanese zoo, has died at the age of 21.

Tobu Zoo in Japan's central Saitama prefecture announced Grape's death through its Twitter account, saying that the cause of death was unknown. But according to NewsWalker, he would have been around 80-years-old in "human years".

Sadly, his death comes a month before the zoo's Grape Festival, a series of events spanning two weeks based around the celebrity penguin.

HuffPost Japan notes that condolence messages have already been received from Kemono Friends, and Chikuta Ikuko, the voice artist who plays Hululu in the series. "Best wishes from my heart to little Grape," Ms Ikuko wrote on Twitter.

Social media is already filling with memes mourning his death. "Let's go home, Grape-kun," says one simple tribute.

Sometimes you just need to tell the whole world how much in love you are

Reporting by Alistair Coleman

Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.

RIP Grape-kun.

Last edited:
Btw, the entire animation team for kemono friends has just resigned as well. This is kinda interesting as usually employees don't go against their bosses.

Btw, the entire animation team for kemono friends has just resigned as well. This is kinda interesting as usually employees don't go against their bosses.
Why did the original producer get axed when plans for a season two begun being talked about, anyway? I mean, the guy evidently did an awesome job seeing as he turned a low-budget CGI anime into something honestly charming and full of heart, with the work of the team under him and all. For him to suddenly not be working on the sequel is... odd.

May Grape-fun be reborn as a harem anime protag.

And yes, the level of fury is unprecedented. Even the Good Smile company joined in on the protests, allowing folks to refund merchandise, which has never happened before.

Back