Unpopular opinions we have on fiction

I mean, idea of "zombie is a shambling mindless living deads" only came in 1978 with the Dawn of the Dead and "that eats brain" was only popularized in 1985 with The Return of the Living Dead. Even the original The Night of the Living Dead refers to it's undead as "ghouls".

Even then, a lot of zombie media tends to actively avoid actually using the word "zombie" and uses other terms. Walking dead, undeceased, infected, etc.

I think saying that Zombies are "stripped of their original context" when you remove them from the Caribbean ethos is just wrong? Zombies as we know them are pretty much entirely Romero's brainchild with a few people inspired by him adding onto the lore after the fact, existing as a commentary on capitalism, consumer culture, and the way that people can be inspired to actively brutalize one-another, even people we love. I'm not saying Romero didn't take inspiration from older mythos, but the "cultural context" in which zombies originate is Night of the Living Dead, Romero's follow-up works, and people inspired by him.

Now that is way more terrifying than ROAR BRAINNNS.
I think it's telling that instead of engaging with the actual horror of plague zombies you just described it in the silliest and campiest terms possible.

Yeah silly camp plague zombies aren't very scary, but that's equally true of voodoo zombies lol. And anything else really, silly camp doesn't try to be horror. That's a feature not a bug, and it certainly doesn't say anything about which is "more terrifying".

The horror of the plague zombie is the horror of a plague, of a sickness spreading exponentially to devour human civilization. Which seems rather relevant in a post-covid world! Nor is their horror just in the large scale, Voodoo zombies don't have a monopoly on dehumanized horror. After all plague zombies are just as objectified. It's just that instead of being enslaved by a sorcerer they're (usually) hijacked by a pathogen. Which is its own kind of horror, your victimizer doesn't even have the conscious will. It's just an automated process transforming you at a cellular level. A machine of violation stripping away everything that you are. There is an abundance of great horror material in the plague zombie, it's not always exploited because zombies make equally good fodder (which is valid) but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it isn't there.

Voodoo zombies are fine, but they certainly aren't uniquely horrifying. There's a reason that the plague zombie took precedence. The concept has enormous potential as a commentary on modern society while also serving as a potential vehicle for more atavistic fears of plague and decay.

I think it's telling that instead of engaging with the actual horror of plague zombies you just described it in the silliest and campiest terms possible.
Well yeah, I was trying to make it sound as campy as possible as an exaggeration. The plague zombie concept is terrifying, but after like a hundred different iterations on it (games/movies/tv shows/books/whatever else) it has lost some of its impact IMO.

Well yeah, I was trying to make it sound as campy as possible as an exaggeration. The plague zombie concept is terrifying, but after like a hundred different iterations on it (games/movies/tv shows/books/whatever else) it has lost some of its impact IMO.
That's fair.

I can't blame anyone for being bored of them. I'm not but we all have different preferences.

Personally kinda hard to take plague zombie horror seriously with how dramatic and flashy it is.

Scary diseases are silent, the paranoia of not knowing who is inflected and thus always being exposed to transmission vectors. You cannot even be sure that you aren't infected yourself.

The overuse of zombies in movies and games as mindless cannon fodder, or turning them into brainless "infected" hordes, is pretty annoying. What I want to see is a story that returns to the roots of the zombie concept - which originated in Caribbean folklore as a form of neverending slavery that you can't escape even in death.

Now that is way more terrifying than ROAR BRAINNNS.

Jordan Peele's Get Out does this to an extent. It's not a literal translation but it feels very inspired by Caribbean folklore zombies.

Zombie movie where resurrected dead corpses are being used to replace everyone's jobs. Managers and CEOs are necromancers. The zombies are very bad at doing pretty much anyone's job, but they're "free" (stolen from graveyards) so they get put to use anyways.
I like this concept because it presumably culminates in at least one archcapitalist getting shot (or thrown out a window, those assholes are always sitting smugly in giant skyscrapers).

I recall Simon R. Green writing at least one short story where corrupt businessmen used zombies to counter a strike, I think it was apart of the Heart and Fisher series if I recall correctly though I can't recall the name of the specific story.

I recall Simon R. Green writing at least one short story where corrupt businessmen used zombies to counter a strike, I think it was apart of the Heart and Fisher series if I recall correctly though I can't recall the name of the specific story.
That'd be Hawk and Fisher, and does sound like a thing that might happen there though IDK.

I only watched the first 5 episodes of velma.

So for my unpopular opinion is that, uh, it's okay? Not so far as bad as any other shitty adult animated show. It does the same jokes, the same references, a lot of stupid shit that wouldn't take seriously but still find funny. It's a show that is much like anything other.

The show did surprised me with norville though. Thought he would a stoner or a weed smoker, but I'm surprised he is not. He definitely looks like one, lol.

Also, almost every character in this show passes off as a college student more than a high-school student.

Back