Tome of the Orange Sky (Naruto/MGLN)

Now, what happens when Naruto has to design a Jounin test?
Well, usually you don't see Jounin being in a competitive test with each other, though I could see Naruto pushing for something like that as a way to differentiate Uzushio's nin from everyone else. (Uzu being the only place where the team mode persists past the chunin level for everyone. Makes hiring costs higher, but the benefits would be self-evident.)

Shikamaru: "Hello. My test is basically a miniature Dungeons & Dragons campaign."

Honestly, being a DM probably has made him the happiest he's ever been. For a tactical mind like his, things like shogi become boring because there are RULES AND LIMITATIONS on the game. (In chess, white goes first, there are only 20 possible opening moves, etc. etc....)

Things have certainly been enjoyable and seeing how things go.

So probably an organized archive/gallery of reactions to various things...

Still think it would be interesting for something like, "In Uzushio, Paperwork..."

Things have certainly been enjoyable and seeing how things go.

So probably an organized archive/gallery of reactions to various things...

Still think it would be interesting for something like, "In Uzushio, Paperwork..."

My first thought there was the old "In Soviet Russia, X Ys you." memes, specifically leading to "In Uzushio, Paperwork finds You."

Those poor genin... May the God of Paperwork have mercy on their souls. Wait, he's the Uzukage... Nevermind then.
He did have mercy on their souls.

The forest of paperwork was after the chunin skill challenges instead of being the final stage of the "are you genin?" portion of things.
Now, what happens when Naruto has to design a Jounin test? Complete with the "Are you a Chunin?" phase, even if it's just for his own people. Tsunade takes a look at it and declares she's glad she got the Konoha promotion, since she wasn't sure she could beat the Uzu one.
Well, that would likely happen on training island to start with...
I now need the different Kages reactions to the forest of paperwork.
Naruto does not plan to show them the forest of paperwork, so for the most part it would be part of reports that might not be believed as legitimate compared to a fancy illusion. :V
I wanna see more reactions to the various test setups, myself actually.
Most of the test setups are simple.
"Can you at least manage X with element?"
"Can you handle this elemental attack?"
"Climb this cliff in X minutes or less."
"Make it across this body of water in X minutes or less."

For some not seen because the genin all missed the maps at the start:
"Cut this rope and catch the rock before it hits the ground" for speed.
"Lift this rock" for strength.
"Demonstrate that you can use a physical bloodline against these zombies."
"Demonstrate that you can use a chakra bloodline against these zombies."

The teams flew out of the room, not a single genin paying attention to the stack of face-down maps that had been deposited on a table in the back of the room while he'd been speaking. Pity, because those maps were the only place that contained the locations of a couple of the easiest to pass skill tests. It seemed likely that the helpers at those stations were going to have a boring two days. He moved over and flipped one of the sheets over, shaking his head. Body strength, speed, and all three bloodline stations were listed.
Honestly, this should actually be either a mark against them being promoted, or an automatic failure. At least in my opinion. They are supposed to be Shinobi. Gathering Intelligence is one of their primary functions, for crying out loud. How can you trust any of these people to do that if the are not even capable of noticing a Change in the Room the are in? Nevermind that it was a benign change in this case, that could have just as easily been something designed to kill them or a potential client.

@Silvris To be (somewhat) fair to them, it would look like someone was bringing in a stack of paperwork for Ibiki to go over rather than anything important. Yes, I know that was part of the psychological F you of the test but, honestly, what Chunin hopeful is really going to want to mess with (they assume) someone else's paperwork. I would think that in any of the villages that would be considered almost a criminal offense which would actually subconsciously put them off of randomly messing with a stack of papers unless specifically told to.

@Silvris To be (somewhat) fair to them, it would look like someone was bringing in a stack of paperwork for Ibiki to go over rather than anything important. Yes, I know that was part of the psychological F you of the test but, honestly, what Chunin hopeful is really going to want to mess with (they assume) someone else's paperwork. I would think that in any of the villages that would be considered almost a criminal offense which would actually subconsciously put them off of randomly messing with a stack of papers unless specifically told to.
From the instant the test parameters were explained and they were released, to the end of the test, they should be in "enemy village" mode, not "home village" mode. As such, examining paperwork is indeed something they should do.

From the instant the test parameters were explained and they were released, to the end of the test, they should be in "enemy village" mode, not "home village" mode. As such, examining paperwork is indeed something they should do.
That's the key test of the entire exam: do the potential chuunin understand how to switch between "enemy battlefield mode" and "enemy village mode".

I think you're giving them too much credit. The chunin hopefuls didn't see someone bringing in paperwork. They also didn't notice the stacks of maps was there at all. Yes, the maps were brought in during the explanation. The genin didn't notice them being brought in. Nor did the difference in the room register to them. As a result, they all missed out on the easy to pass tests due to those tests requiring you to have the maps to find.

Missing the maps would certainly count against all the testees in their final grade, but it can't be an automatic fail since there will always be a fair chance for some details to be missed while on an actual field mission. Having an easy path to collecting some mission critical information closed off by a failed observation is part of real life, it just means that extra work has to replace the missed information (and you have to hope that the gap can be bridged that way.)

I mean it isn't like pretty much every single one of their village leaders for the past four generations or so hasn't been united in staying as far away as possible from as much paperwork as possible*....

Oh wait... that's right, they were.

*: Except the Uzumaki, apparently. This would just confirm to the others that their predecessors were correct in attempting to wipe the Uzumaki bloodline off the face of the earth, though.

Last edited:
*: Except the Uzumaki, apparently. This would just confirm to the others that their predecessors were correct in attempting to wipe the Uzumaki bloodline off the face of the earth, though.

The Uzumaki defeated paperwork by the two fold attack of "I know the Paperwork Jutsu" and "We're not going to let the bureaucracy get so bloated that you need to fill out paperwork to track the paperwork that tracks the paperwork that tracks mission report filings. Oh, and we'll combine related forms into a single form to further reduce the amount needed."

The Uzumaki defeated paperwork by the two fold attack of "I know the Paperwork Jutsu" and "We're not going to let the bureaucracy get so bloated that you need to fill out paperwork to track the paperwork that tracks the paperwork that tracks mission report filings. Oh, and we'll combine related forms into a single form to further reduce the amount needed."
Don't forget the simple addition of an actual useful Index to track all the forms in the first place. Something that most villages seem to have an aversion to simply for the security hole it might represent.

Last edited:
Back