Titans DC - The Edge strikes back

Hell even the cringy 'Truth, Justice And The American Way' Superman was better than this.

"so dark... you sure you're not from the DC Universe?"
- D. Pool, American philosopher

To That, We Say...

Yeah, seems fair, really

- With Love,
DC Universe

So to wit we have.

Starfire - Who has amnesia, can't control her powers very well, and laughs as she burns people alive.

Raven - Generic goth teen who also can't control her powers.

Beast Boy - Teen who uses his powers to rob stores.

Robin - Exactly what was seen in the trailers.

So to wit we have.

Starfire - Who has amnesia, can't control her powers very well, and laughs as she burns people alive.

Raven - Generic goth teen who also can't control her powers.

Beast Boy - Teen who uses his powers to rob stores.

Robin - Exactly what was seen in the trailers.
It really is like the Earth 3 Titans.

So, is there anything to like about this show?
If it's grim and dark and serious enough, it can inadvertently turn into an ouroboros of all things wrong with the modern DC cinematography.

You can laugh while pointing at this inhuman monstrosity that managed to shove its own head up its ass.

Last edited:
It's like when DC went through its dark and edgy phase in the wake Watchmen and The Dark Knight Return, only this time with movies in the wake of The Dark Knight trilogy and with the guy who made that subpar, totally missing the point of the text, adaptation of Watchmen at the helm for several of the DCEU movies.

I really enjoyed E1. Its dark, yes, but I think the actors are doing a good job, the show looks like it's going in a cool direction, and the I'm going to watch more. Ironically, despite all the shitting on it in advance, the Starfire plot is definitely the best one. I think a lot of people enjoy being contrary, and have already made their judgement, but it's worth watching. That said - just as with Young Justice, or the Gifted - it is its own take on the story its telling, and it should be judged on whether it executes that story well. Not on whether it's a point for point recreation of a forty year old comic book.

EDIT: Important question. In the show, Robin is a detroit detective. Could Robin beat Robocop?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed E1. Its dark, yes, but I think the actors are doing a good job, the show looks like it's going in a cool direction, and the I'm going to watch more. Ironically, despite all the shitting on it in advance, the Starfire plot is definitely the best one. I think a lot of people enjoy being contrary, and have already made their judgement, but it's worth watching. That said - just as with Young Justice, or the Gifted - it is its own take on the story its telling, and it should be judged on whether it executes that story well. Not on whether it's a point for point recreation of a forty year old comic book.

EDIT: Important question. In the show, Robin is a detroit detective. Could Robin beat Robocop?
You think the Starfire plot where she wakes up with amnesia, decides to dress up as a streetwalker, sleeps with a guy, and finally burns people alive while laughing, is the best one? o_O

You think the Starfire plot where she wakes up with amnesia, decides to dress up as a streetwalker, sleeps with a guy, and finally burns people alive while laughing, is the best one? o_O
I assume you know that that's not what happened, right? Like, those are events, but those aren't the order that events occurred, you're ignoring all the context to said events, and frankly you fall consistently in this category:
I think a lot of people enjoy being contrary, and have already made their judgement,

If you have an honest point of discussion, feel free to raise it.

People have different tastes and this show well its not my cup of tea, too dark and overly edgy for my tastes when it comes to DC.

My tastes when it comes to DC lean more towards the DCAU, Batman: the brave and the Bold, the old 1940s fleischer superman cartoons, Adam West batman and Linda Carter wonder woman shows, the old silver age batman and superman comics, the superman radio show, teen titans and so forth while I didn't really care that much for Young Justice or The Batman.

Edit:And as I've noted before I hated the Nolan Films and was completely turned off by Man of Steel.

Last edited:
Honestly, being dark isn't the issue. DC comics actually lend themselves pretty well to such a tone. While it has a reputation for being the more lighthearted of the two major companies and certain characters, like Superman, keep that tone better than others there's nothing in DC that forces it to keep that tone. The issue here is that is not that they made a dark Teen Titans show, that could actually be done really well. The Perez/Wolfman was actually pretty fucking dark at times. The issue is that they made a poorly done dark Teen Titans show. Having characters say "fuck", or kill people, or sleep around doesn't make things dark or mature or adult. It makes them look silly or childish. This show looks like something a 15 year old wrote as fan fiction after watching the show on Cartoon Network while having problems with his home life.

The characters don't sleep around - at least they haven't so far - and the one time some one said fuck it was in a dramatically appropriate context.

I assume you know that that's not what happened, right? Like, those are events, but those aren't the order that events occurred, you're ignoring all the context to said events, and frankly you fall consistently in this category:

If you have an honest point of discussion, feel free to raise it.
Okay then, here's the full context and timeline of Starfire's story so far.

They open with a close up high-res shot of her obviously plastic wig, where upon they introduce through narrative her lack of memory, some guys show up shooting at her, she runs, somehow finds her way to a gas station bathroom (the narrative forgetting she has amnesia), finds a key card in her purse, somehow finds her way to the location on the key card (the narrative once more forgetting she has amnesia), finds out she rented out the entire top floor of the hotel and had men/women sent up to have sex with, finds a cellphone with a picture on it (the narrative for a third time forgetting she has amnesia), discovers a tied up half beaten to death man in her closet who tells her about "the girl", questions said guy in a way that lets him escape and grab a knife, they fight and she punches him across the room breaking a number of bones and causing him to start bleeding internally, where upon she questions him some more, and then snaps his neck.

Next scene she somehow finds her way to the dance club of the guy who's picture she found on her phone, we find out she was sleeping with him, he tries to shoot her, she manifests some kind of bulletproof fire barrier, at which point she fills the room with flames and burns to death the three people in it, finds an almost perfectly intact photo of Raven right next to one of the people she just barbecued, and then turns as she is leaving the room to giggle at the three burnt corpses, a few seconds later one of the corpses crumbles to ash showing he was in fact incinerated (making the intact photo right next to him all the more glaring).

Put simply Starfire comes off as, well, to put it nicely, her sister Blackfire. And she does so in a story that is full of plot holes with a music score that would be at home in one of those edgy MTV shows from the very early 90s.

Back