So been reading through the story and got to rifts, does Star ever come back as the main character. Or should I just drop it since it's becoming tedious?

..This video will be like embarrassing home videos of a toddler, to be brought up during big gatherings and shown to her first boy/girlfriend won't it?

What will be impressive is if she manages to get so far as dating anyone without them having already seen it or some other equivalent codified memory beforehand, since at least some of the AIs are undoubtedly going to be downright aggressive about "But have you seen when she --" moments.

Depends on whether she follows suit with the rest of the Jovians and dates biologicals. I would imagine that recordings of teasing via manipulating the warp geometry wouldn't be easy to show off to meat-based partners.

Depends on whether she follows suit with the rest of the Jovians and dates biologicals. I would imagine that recordings of teasing via manipulating the warp geometry wouldn't be easy to show off to meat-based partners.
At this point the options she's got of her species are her mother, and a vast array of aunts and uncles. Some day AI partners will be an option, but not (to her) just yet.

At this point the options she's got of her species are her mother, and a vast array of aunts and uncles. Some day AI partners will be an option, but not (to her) just yet.

Hmm. I suppose the dating pool could possibly contain Data, or other potentially-existant Soong androids. Though probably unlikely with such a small population.

I'm not entirely sure if that holds.

I mean, if you're going to be looking at it from that perspective, an awful lot of the Jovians are functionally dating their siblings, and that's just normal life.

The bigger issue is that she's going to have trouble finding a Jovian who doesn't see her as a kid. Possibly for a long time.

We dropped out of Warp at the edge of the system and started to scoot inwards the system, passing through three layers of tachyon grids on the way.

Space was busy here. Not just the particles from the nearby nebula and space dust, but also ships.

My sensors might not be as good as a full ship, but as strange as that seemed to me, I could still see hundreds of ships.

Warships, freighters, science vessels. Miramar himself.

He was a massive station, a starfish-shaped port/shipyard in low orbit around one of the gas giants. Well over ten kilometres across, he could dock GSVs at his arms.

Most would think our primary naval yard would be a tempting target, but while he couldn't move, and even if the defenses I could see were the only ones, anyone that tried to Pearl Harbour us would have an... unpleasant time.

That was a lot of Warships.

As I watched, a kilometre-wide sphere floated away from Miramar and a couple of ships latched onto it with tractor beams and dragged further in-system.

One of the energy collectors.

I'd seen those before, they were massive. Once in place, that shell would retract and the massive energy station would unfold a hundred-kilometre-wide solar energy collector that would start generating antimatter..

I was running on a Pulse Singularity Core, as were most ships, not something as dangerous as antimatter. But it was still very useful, especially for moving energy around.

Not sure why there were so many of them though, I could see over a hundred in orbit around the closest of the stars of the binary system. We weren't making that many photon torpedoes, were we? Not like we used it for fuel anymore.

…What were we doing with that much antimatter?

Miramar opened a channel and I quickly answered. His avatar was that of a Vulcan, bald but with a small black beard on his chin.

"Formerly Stardust," he said with a smile, "Welcome."

"Thank you, Miramar," I answered with a smile, "Good to be here."

"Korra said you wanted to study here? As interesting it would be to teach you, you do realize this is not meant to be the jumping on point?"

I nodded, "I know, I have been told that. I can do it."

"She sent over your grades and I have talked with her and your teachers. Your grades are top notch and you are smart, no question. But even if you can handle the stress, this will be very rough on you."

"Korra have told me all about it and I know," I admitted and did a slow S turn, drawing a line in a dense patch of dust, "But I need to learn. I need to be able to go out there and… see what more there is out there. Until I became a Ship, I didn't know what I wanted to do. Once I saw… once I saw the universe as it was, I wanted to see more."

The Station nodded like I managed to make sense in my ramblings, "So why Contact? You don't need to join Contact to explore the universe. Give it a year and Korra could build you a science vessel, a LSV even, and you could find a crew, pick a direction and just go. Hell, head over to the Federation and join Starfleet if you want."

"…I thought about it. But the first one wouldn't be right, I couldn't do that. I don't know enough, I don't have the training or experience to be a real ship yet. Starfleet doesn't feel right to me either, the Commonwealth is my home. Besides, I don't agree with them on a bunch of stuff."

Miramar raised his eyebrows, "Such as?"

Crossing my arms, I shrugged, "The Prime Directive for one thing. It's stupid. I'm so glad we dropped it."

"It's not stupid. But it is too limited for the current reality."

I frowned a bit before nodding in agreement. He was right, I could see how it was useful in protecting less advanced worlds. I might even agree to most of it. But I couldn't help but find it stupid the way the Federation handled it.

He looked at my image for a moment before he nodded, "Very well. Let's give this a try. If you can handle this, all the better. But if you can't, no problem. You would just need some more experience first and then you can come back and try again."

"I'll make it."

That got a grin from him, "You'll need that determination. I hope you realize that this won't be classes you could coast through thinking three times faster than your classmates. You will be running at maximum speed and I will be your primary teacher along with a couple of other Ships. Multiple lessons at once."

"Good."

"Docking bay twenty-three," He said with a smirk, "We'll see if you still feel that way in a month."

He cut the channel.

It's happening!

I did a happy roll as my avatar jumped up and down inside. Yes! Yes!

"Docking bay twenty-three," He said with a smirk,

It's always great to see a Vulcan smile, even when it's actually the avatar of a Jovian.

Now that I think of it, using a Vulcan avatar that occasionally has small displays of emotion, followed by pretending that they didn't happen could be a decent prank against one's crew.

Last edited:
I'd seen those before, they were massive. Once in place, that shell would retract and the massive energy station would unfold a hundred-kilometre-wide solar energy collector that would start generating antimatter..

I was running on a Pulse Singularity Core, as were most ships, not something as dangerous as antimatter. But it was still very useful, especially for moving energy around.

Not sure why there were so many of them though, I could see over a hundred in orbit around the closest of the stars of the binary system. We weren't making that many photon torpedoes, were we? Not like we used it for fuel anymore.

…What were we doing with that much antimatter?

My suspicion? One of two things. Either the anti matter is the power source for something else. Like a massive number of mothballed mass produced ships/automated combat drones, or it's tied together to make a ridiculous weapon. Overpowered grasar/maybe subspace device to shut down nearby warp travel.

Last edited:
My suspicion? One of two things. Either the anti matter is the power source for something else. Like a massive number of mothballed mass produced ships/automated combat drones, or it's tied together to make a ridiculous weapon. Overpowered grassar/maybe subspace device to shut down nearby warp travel.
Why not Trade? Why does it always have to be superweapons?

It's Antimatter? It's umm. Not the best trade good? Given handle it wrong and you stop having a spaceship, and maybe a nearby planet.

True, but it remains the best way to transport energy in bulk. That region of the galaxy might be mostly post-scarcity, but mostly is not the same as completely, and while energy is fairly cheap, it can still be hard to come by in very large quantities.

Obviously they're building their own antimatter universe they can run away to if the borg attack again. /terrible sci-fi logic

Walking alongside Korra's avatar with my own, I looked around. The inside of Miramar looked like any other ship or station in these parts, really.

My main body was sitting in one of the smallcraft hangers between a couple of his shuttles; they were too small to rate their own AIs, so they were carrying Miramar's backup cores.

I tried my best to look calm even if I felt like skipping. This would be so great!

"Station," Korra said with a smile as we walked into one of the observation rooms with windows looking out towards one of the main shipyards. You could see a MSV under construction out the windows, an Island class.

Miramar looked over from where his avatar was standing by the window, "Ships," he greeted us with a nod, "Welcome onboard."

"Thank you," I said with a smile before walking up next to him, looking down at the vessel under construction.

One day.

"I wonder what it's like to be that big?", I asked as I looked down at the half-finished ship.

Miramar shrugged, "It's not that big, barely more than half a kilometre," he said before smirking and looking over at Korra, "Right?"

"Positively tiny," she agreed with a grin.

"...So what am I then…" I grumbled.

My hull was twenty-seven meters long.

"Adorable, that's what," Korra said with a grin and ruffled my hair.

"Damn it, mom!"

Not in front of the station!

"You sure you want to do this?" she asked after giving me a second to get my hair back in order, "You never been away before."

"I'm sixteen, I'll be fine."

Miramar nodded, "We'll take care of her," he reassured Korra.

I scanned the hangar. It was different from Korra's. Bit smaller, different colour. People moving back and forth but mostly his drones.

"People move around all the time to go to school when they're my age, I'll be fine!" I protested.

Korra shot my avatar a look, "I'm allowed to worry."

"Come on, I'll show you your quarters," Miramar said, and motioned towards the door. We followed him a while before he asked, "So, have you put some thought into what classes you want to take? Other than the sciences and other skills required by a ship , I mean?"

I nodded, "I like computers. Besides, we are computers. Kinda. Programming classes could be useful… and I think sociology could be fun, people are interesting."

Miramar smiled and lead us into a turbolift, sending us upwards, "Indeed. While you can't program an AI, we do work intimately with other computer systems. Programming is useful."

It didn't take us long to reach a more populated area as we left the shipyard and hangar sections. Commercial and living zones, with the ceilings rising and showing several stories at once. It didn't take long to reach the school.

You could tell because uniforms become more common; both the more common Contact uniforms that reminded me a bit of Starfleet uniforms, if without the shoulder colours, and the Warship uniforms that were tight-fitting and jet black.

I wasn't exactly surprised to see a lot of Warship avatars. The system was crawling with ROUs, why wouldn't they go to classes while practicing?

"Here we go," Miramar said and motioned towards a door as it opened for us. I slowly moved past him and inside.

It wasn't a big room, about the size of my room aboard Korra. A bed and desk, along with wardrobe space. A small couch, and a replicator in one of the walls. On the wall above the desk was a display showing an image from outside.

"This is nice," I said and looked around, "I need to get some of my things shipped over."

"I'm already transporting it," Korra said and smiled, "It'll be waiting for you here when we get back."

I blinked at her, "Get back?"

"We have one more stop in the tour," Miramar said and nodded towards the door.

Frowning, I followed along as he lead us out of the university area and towards another one of the turbolifts.

"So where are we going?" I asked and crossed my arms.

"You'll see."

Sighing, I settled down as I tracked the position of my avatar. We were heading down again, towards the shipyards but not closer to my hangar. Where were we going?

Soon enough the turbolift opened and Miramar lead us along the corridor and into a large hangar, bringing us into one of the massive ROU hangars. Almost half a kilometre wide, and containing thirty of the Warships.

At this distance, the completely black hulls looked larger than they really were. Just over a hundred metres long and some twenty-five across, depending on the class.

"Well?"

"What?" I asked and turned to Miramar.

"You will also be moving in here," He said and motioned towards the closest ROU, "Mutilator class. This will be your hull while you're here."

I just kind of gaped at him.

Miramar shrugged, "It's not that big, barely more than half a kilometre," he said before smirking and looking over at Korra, "Right?"

"Positively tiny," she agreed with a grin.

"...So what am I then…" I grumbled.

My hull was twenty-seven meters long.

"Adorable, that's what," Korra said with a grin and ruffled my hair.

At this distance, the completely black hulls looked larger than they really were. Just over a hundred metres long and some twenty-five across, depending on the class.

"Well?"

"What?" I asked and turned to Miramar.

"You will also be moving in here," He said and motioned towards the closest ROU, "Mutilator class. This will be your hull while you're here."

I just kind of gaped at him.

edit: today I learned that the forum editor's seeming ability to resize images means nothing when the post actually is submitted. blarghl.

Last edited:
Is this the equivalent of being given a sleek sports car by your parents when going to college? Lucky her!

A fucking warship for a trainee. That's nuts. This has to be a test of some kind.

If she's going to be in system anyway, she may as well be prepared in advance in case a significant threat (like a Borg attack) manifests. Having warship hulls in reserve does no good is she isn't trained to use one.

"Relax," ROU 'The Sound of Steel Rain' transmitted, "You'll get used to it."

"This is hard!" I transmitted back and tried my thrusters. There were so many of them, and they were so sensitive! It sent me spinning slowly in space instead of scooting me sideways like I had planned, "Damn it! I just learned how to do this!"

Rain grinned at me over the com-channel; her avatar was that of a human female with dark skin, green eyes and long darker hair, "It takes time to get used to a new ship. It gets easier to switch to a new hull in time, but I remember the first time I switched from a shuttle to a ship. It took weeks to get used to."

"…This is so frustrating," I sighed and worked to stop my rotation. It felt like everyone was watching me!

Likely because every ship in the system was paying attention.

This was so embarrassing.

Korra was sitting docked by the station a couple of thousand kilometres away, taking advantage of Miramar's much larger engineering capabilities to get her hull repainted instead of doing it herself.

In a week she would leave the system with all my friends on board. I would be alone.

I couldn't help but be nervous about it, no matter what I told Miramar and mom. I had never been away before.

Okay, sure, everyone here had started out the same as mom, but it wasn't the same thing.

Let's try that again. I remapped my thruster maps and did the roll again. I started to slowly slide to the side with a puff of power.

Yes!

"These sensors are amazing though," I sent to Rain, "That was easier to get used to."

"Eh, tried one set of ship sensors and you tried them all. All that differ is placement and resolution. At least among the same techbase," she said with a shrug as she slowly orbited my location with puffs of her own thrusters, "You might go 'cross-eyed' for a couple of hours at worst but that's usually it."

"It's odd not to really have any inner space though. But I thought ROUs didn't have any crew quarters, I have a couple of rooms. About as much as when I was a runabout, maybe a little more."

She nodded, "That's normal. We aren't meant to carry a crew, but we have a couple of small quarters for emergencies and VIP transports."

"And these maintenance bots… controlling two dozen of them is distracting! They have so many legs, they're hard to move!"

"You get used to it, no different than your avatar. Besides, they are all smart enough to do their own thing most of the time, you only really need to take over for real repairs."

"Which I don't know how to do!"

She grinned, "Yet. You will before you are allowed out anywhere solo. As soon as I clear you for general flight, your lessons with Miramar will start. It will include all the engineering training you could possibly need."

I nodded and stopped my drift before moving in the other direction, "Not the only thing to get used to."

Rain smirked at my image, "The uniform?"

"…Yes."

My avatar was currently in my room in the station, looking in the screen-turned-mirror. The uniform was black and tight, including a pair of boots. It lacked ornamentation other than a pip at the collar and a patch at the right arm, both with the symbol of a ROU on it. I also wore the belt that came with it, but no weapon yet. Rain told me not to wear one.

I wasn't combat ready and as such, shouldn't wear one.

I didn't argue; I'd damage my avatar or hurt somebody. I had no idea how to use a phaser yet. I suppose that'll be fixed soon enough.

"Does it have to be so tight?" I asked her with a frown.

She shrugged, "We don't need it for the armour, might as well have it look good, but that's not the primary reason. The first time your avatar gets into a fight, you'd be glad that it's form-fitting. We move fast enough that if it snags somewhere, it'll rip at best, cause you to stumble at worst. Either the pause would cause your avatar to take damage or be destroyed, or you'll lose half your clothes."

Rain then smirked, "Of course, nothing in the rules say you can't wear a looser version of the Warship uniform, and when off duty you can of course wear anything you like."

I cringed at that idea of snagging somewhere and ending up naked, "On second thought, I can live with tight. But how often does it happen that the avatar gets in a fight?"

"Very rarely," she admitted, "Even rarer is something that can cause real damage. Even in anti-personnel roles, we have other remotes for that and it's not really a ROU thing anyway. But better safe than sorry in this case. At least that's my opinion."

"…I suppose," I agreed and did a small roll before twisting on my shortest axis, "This is odd. I feel so big."

"Trust me, you aren't. I was an Island before I forked into a ROU. When you get used to it, you'll be able to fly like a housefly on stimulants. You have thrusters stronger than those on an old Galaxy class."

"They are really sensitive. I'm barely giving them any power and…" I sent myself into a roll, "This!"

Rain grinned, "Like I said, take some getting used to. Think you have a bit of control with them yet?"

I frowned and then nodded, "Doesn't feel natural, but I can move in all directions."

"Awesome, let's try your impulse drive."

"But my avatar…"

She shook her head, "It has its own quantum core and it'll only be a couple of hours. Besides, we need the impulse drive if we want to get to the trojan asteroids in a timely manner."

"Why are we going there?"

Rain smirked at me, "Because if you manage to get your impulse drive under control and get out there, I'll unlock your phasers for a weapons test."

Oooooh.

AN// Posted early.

Back